Post #9371329

There are a total of 78 votes:

Weed and deadhead more.
(9 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Only plant what I can take care of.
(19 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Not sweat the small stuff and enjoy my garden more.
(19 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Plant a vegetable garden or fruit trees.
(9 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Plant more natives for the birds, butterflies and bees.
(11 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(11 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9372041

Well, I wanted to vote for planting more natives…But that is what I WANT to do. If I have to RESOLVE to doing something, then it's definitely the weeding….UGH!

Happy New Year everybody!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 8:07 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9372049

Happy New Year to all.

I voted not to sweat the small stuff.

After having my husband in emergency surgery, then kept in the hospital for two weeks now, I just want to appreciate him, our Smitty (the dog), family and friends. Every now and then we all need to be hit over the head with a trowel to teach us the important things in life.

I'll use more mulch to cut back on weeding. It's worked so well and I wish I had done it right from the start, using it three inches deep. Mostly I have only the tiny clover to weed. We do have three gardens with absolutely no weeds, not even the clover. I'd like to expand on that!

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9372073

I resolve to keep the garden on auto-pilot and enjoy the colorful foliage my copperleafs provide year-round. With colorful foliage, you don't have to pray for blooms. Yes, Sir! Auto-pilot it will be for me in 2013. In other words, business as usual here in South Florida; fertilizer, sunlight and water when needed. I feel a Happy New Gardening Year coming on.

Sylvain.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9372077

I vote other. I spent 30 years getting this place looking nice. Now it is time to sit back & enjoy it. I have a great helper that started last year & will continue this coming year. She does a very nice job of keeping everything looking good.
The market garden is pretty much my son in charge. I will be doing the large tractor work.
Happy New Year to all.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9372177

CountryGardens, I love the garden with all the rocks!
I need to work on only planting what I can care for. I have about 20 tropical hibiscus in pots that all need to be watered a lot during the summer and I tend to get lazy about that when it's in the 90'd with 90% humidity. I was better last summer than in years past. Hopefully I can keep that trend up!
Barb
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9372206

Only plant what I can take care of, also, not sweat the small stuff. It is all small stuff. There wasn't a place for both answers. Luciee {;^) Happy New Year, everyone !!

I just lost my nearly complete post. It said: I voted for do what I can manage. I wanted to vote not sweat the small stuff also, so I am doing it here. Luciee {;^) Happy New year, everyone.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 10:23 AM
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9372259

I just desire to have another good year...changing nearly nothing. I just ordered some Valencia peanuts for a bit of variety. Peanuts have grown well in the past, but always needed some more time to finish up those longer season Virginia peanuts..

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9372277

I voted other. I'm only planting what I can take care of, have more contingencies in place ahead of time, and have seedlings in process at all times, so as soon as something comes out, something new can go in.

I'd like to have something growing on each of our 285 growing days!

Linda

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9372437

Other:
I will concentrate on corn, squash, and pole beans in the greenhouse (in other words, the Three Sisters system). The greenhouse extends the season about 2 months, but until I get a rocket mass heater in there, it's a no go for year-round. I had some disappointments in 2012 (lost my 'baby' dogs, one was sixteen, the other 9 yrs old and lost many plants in the greenhouse due to extreme temps outside), but many more blessings. Resolutions? I pray that we're all more resolute at growing gardens and helping and encouraging others to do that, too. CAN'T WAIT to grow the yellow Brandywines!! It doesn't take much to make me excited, does it? I don't usually make resolutions, just keep on plugging away at tasks at hand, keeping an eye on the bigger picture.
Love you guys. Happy New Year!
Dianne

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9372439

Pirl, I'll keep your husband in my prayers for complete healing.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9372561

Thanks, Solace. I just brought him home! We're all so happy!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9372655

pirl, he looks like a real nice guy, I wish you both well.

I voted plant only what I can take care of cuz that was the closest answer to : Plant in the veg garden only what will grow and be used. Stopp goofing off with oddball things and orphan plants that nobody else wanted either . Make my veg garden pay for itself for once!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9372676

He is, thank you.

Growing anything you can freeze or preserve is well worth it. Things like lettuce have to be used fast but it tastes so good from your own garden that there's no problem eating it as long as you don't grow too much.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9372800

All excellent choices, but I went with planting more natives. That has been my focus for the past couple years and I see that continuing as I try to create a good transition between my flower beds/yard with the outlying fields and woods.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9372901

pirl wrote:He is, thank you.

Growing anything you can freeze or preserve is well worth it. Things like lettuce have to be used fast but it tastes so good from your own garden that there's no problem eating it as long as you don't grow too much.

And fresh green beans! I've lost almost all tolerance for frozen and cheap canned ones- and the fresh were pricey last year here.

Native plants are good too.

SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9372937

I'm relatively new at gardening. This year will only be my 2nd & I have gathered a lot of valuable information from the internet and Dave's Garden to practice this time around. I'm already an compulsive weeder and deadheader. I never sweat the small stuff and my family already thinks I enjoy my gardens too much LOL I have no room for vegetable gardens or fruit trees and I planted a ton of natives last summer. My 2 yr old grand-daughter and I LOVED all the butterflies and hummingbirds this year! Therefore, I voted for only planting what I can take care of, and I want to add, to plant them in areas where they belong and NOT where I need a splash of color or where I think they would look best.

Gardening is like the rest of life...LIVE AND LEARN.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9372941

when the weather gets hot, I tend to avoid going outside and the part of my garden that is not in the raised beds goes wild. (Uh, that part is called weeds!) I want to get a bettr solution to that because I dont like it to look unsightly. Mowing and weed whacking is not the solution. I just will not do that when it gets hot no matter how bad it looks. I think Im going to do something like planting around the edges like shrubs or berries or something and mulch it to keep down the weeds. I dont have a problem tending the raised beds but the other part gets way ahead of me. That's what I'll work on this year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9372970

Mulch! You won't regret spending the money for mulch when you see how much work it will save you since, if you put it down 3" thick, you won't face those big ugly weeds.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9373115

Seems I went with most here so far , intend to enjoy and go with it,.. That is what gardens are suppose to be for?.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9373179

I too resolve to avoid sweeting over small stuffs, take a different road home, and try to plant more natives for wildlife. Happy New Year to all.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9373263

I voted "plant only what I can take care of" because our serious drought
conditions continue in New Mexico. In our hot, dry climate all plants need
a lot of water and I think our watering restrictions will continue for quite
a while. I will plant tomatoes in containers though. It's the only time of
year we have edible tomatoes. The store tomatoes are terrible.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 2, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9373365

I don't make resolutions I make plans and I plan to keep doing what I do only do it better more volunteer work and get even more involved in my Community the other plan is the Hugelkulture beds June this might be something you would be interested in as it is touted as a water saving method and I am sure we will find out more as the summer draws closer We have been tossing this subject around for a couple of weeks on Texas Gardening
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9373383

Pril glad you hubby is home that is a nice picture. I would like to know what kind of mulch you use in your gardens?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9373404

Thanks, daylilydreams.

In most beds and all paths I use Crushed Pine Needles - photo #1. It locks in place and even during the storm, Sandy, with high winds, it did not blow around at all.

Shredded Straw was used for the vegetable garden with great success. It's soft, silky, doesn't blow around and feels like the old Ivory Flakes. It can be turned into the soil at the end of the season - photo #2.

For odd places and to test it out, I used Pine Bark Mulch this past year and I do like it. Photo #3. Probably best used on level ground.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 2, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9373433

Purl, I to wish your hubby well ! Family and friends are very important, I love my flowers, but love my family more!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9373577

Thanks. He's walking good compared to yesterday and eating well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9373731

such neat pretty gardens pirl!
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9373896

I resolve to finish projects already started and to start projects already planned, all as soon as I get my knee surgery over with.
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 3, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9374014

I resolve to scaffold my trees and make fencing (I say, as I lie feeble as a half-drowned earthworm from flu)

Thumbnail by Reynardine

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9374050

I voted 'other', as I resolve to pay attention to school this year and learn as much as possible about taking care of these babies!

Pirl, I'm sooo glad your Hubby is home, I'll continue the prayers that he keeps up the good recovery. I hope you don't mind me saying so, but he sure looks like a Big Sweetheart! =)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9374132

Thanks, Sally. I forgot the wood chips we use for the asparagus garden. The actual asparagus areas are covered with many inches of our own compost. I didn't like the wood chips (photo #1) so I tried and nixed the crushed pine needles (photo #2), then I switched to pine nuggets. Both the chips and the nuggets allow too much soil and weed seeds to blow in them so the result (as you'd guess) is too many weeds. Now I'm using pine bark MULCH (3" thick) for the paths.

Regardless of the work involved it's all worth it - photo #3.

frogymom - hope you're feeling better very soon.

Reynardine - get well soon. The flu is no fun.

Speediebean - he is a sweetheart. Thank you for your prayers.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 3, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9374698

Thank you, Pirl!

Thumbnail by Reynardine

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9374703

What a sweet photo! Enter it in the next DG photo contest.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9374740

Pirl, prayers for a speedy recovery

I voted for veggie garden, I've been saying that for a couple years now, this year I AM going to get it done

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
11:50 PM

Post #9374850

I voted "other". This year I plan on just enjoying my gardening. When I go out that front door to "work" in the garden, well it's going to be more like "play".
I will do a little on the chores that need doing and then do what I really want to do. Whether that's replanting something or weeding something. Yes, I'm a real sicko, I like to weed. Maybe that's because I have sooo much raking to do in my yard, I'm so sick of raking. We refer to it as "rakercise" around here.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9375142

Thanks, Jen. You can start small by planting lettuce and broccoli in with your flowers. Peppers are colorful and can go with flowers as well as the pretty Rainbow chard and many others.

Domehomedee - I love your attitude.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9375275

thanks for the suggestions, love mixing them, like these cherry toms in planter in garden I saw on a garden tour
I do have a few potted veggies but really need to get a full blown garden going

Thumbnail by flowAjen

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9375295

These are the lettuces and broccoli enjoying the same area as the hosta and dahlias (not yet emerged). They got along beautifully.

Growing the family favorites is the most fun.

Thumbnail by pirl

jimtomczak
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9375583

Pirl I am puttin on my "Would you like your pine needles raked." clothes and get 2 yards by 7:00, JIM2 is so ashamed of this.LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9375602

When you can rake them yourself, even if it is from a neighbor's garden (with encouragement and permission) I'd say: go for it!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 4, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9375711

2 sweet gum trees cut and hauled away so my raking is cut in half Wonderfull Next year I may just have the other 2 cut
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9375770

Grits - are they the trees that drop sticky balls on the ground? I didn't like the one we had and it went to that great landfill.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9375879

My tree complaint is California live oak. They are wonderful shade making trees but drop leaves 24 hours a day 365 days a year. And then there are the years when they drop acorns, millions of them. One year I determined it was like 1 acorn an inch, that's just unnecessary. Of course they are a protected tree and you aren't supposed to cut them down without a permit. How about a heavy prunning . . .

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 5, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9376000

Do you need a permit to do everything in CA ?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9376152

Yes. I got busted at the Swap meet for selling plants without a permit.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9376160

Love that regulatory fuzz Emphasizing Tory? or Fascist Maybe??? Only you realize this was for your own good ,,don't you!!!!?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 5, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9376308

Wow!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
1:50 AM

Post #9376864

I'm shooting for quality this year. I plan to focus my attention on fewer plants giving them more tlc. I don't want to become a plant hoarder which ultimately leads to plant neglect. Happy gardening in 2013 and may you have the best one yet!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 7, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9377848

I actually voted for plant a veetable garden and fruit trees ,because that is one I know I will keep and I started some peach/nectarine trees from seed last winter and they will have to be moved as they are to close together as they now stand..Who knew that so many of the seed would actually come up ..PS should have seperated the peach from the nectarines I can't tell them apart

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9378395

Switching over to hydroponics for half my garden this year. This will be a learning experience.
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 7, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9378476

Grits, you can't tell them apart because they're the same. A nectarine is nothing but a peach that shaved. All nectarines are peaches, even though not all peaches are nectarines, and the seedlings of either can turn out to be the other.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 7, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9378614

reynardine That is exactly what I thought

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America