Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: My wish for 2013....

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9371385

...that some company will take the concept behind the XHose or FlexibleHose (ďAs seen on TVĒ) and make a similar hose using quality materials. I purchased a 100í (actually 2-50 footers) FlexibleHose and it is the best thing since sliced bread for pulling around a yard and watering plants in areas where the sprinkler system doesnít reach. The problem is that it is so cheaply made that I donít foresee it lasting for much longer than maybe six months of use. After I purchased it I immediately replaced the cheap plastic connecters with brass or zinc ones from HD. I imagine that there is a huge market for such a cool and easy to use hose. Developers and licensors, are you paying attention?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9371448

I have seen the commercials and wondered how the quality was. At the moment I have 2 sets of 100' long high quality 1/2" diameter hoses, which are on self winding reels (powered by the water). I paid over $75 each for the hoses online and they have been worth every penny! I think this is where I got them- http://www.factorydirecthose.com/site/932652/product/PUR-12x75-GH
I have had them about 7 years now and they are like new!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2012 12:05 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9373947

I am learning that some things ARE worth what you pay for them...especially with the gardening tools and equipment.

Which is why I've stopped spending $20 a pop for those plastic sprayers that stop working after 3 applications. I've bought at least 3 in the past 2 years. This year I bought an all metal one with brass fittings that won't break. Every part on it is replaceable, and it should last the rest of my lifetime. $70.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9374220

Gymgirl,
I'm in your camp which is why I'm hoping that someone will come out with a better version of the FlexibleHose that most likely will cost more but Iím okay with that. In the meantime, I may try the 100í long, Ĺí " hose that JoParrott linked to along with the automatic rewinding reel from HD which sound like a good alternative, at least until I get around to installing drip irrigation in my raised beds. On the matter of sprayers, I started buying Dramm sprayers a year or so ago. They cost a little more, but they seem to be made better and have a lifetime guarantee. Now I have 3 Dramm sprayers all of which leak, even after using plumbing tape. I havenít figured out yet how to exercise their lifetime guarantee, whether I go back to the retailer where I purchased them but more likely will have to send them back to Dramm (and pay the postage) for replacements. Any suggestions for the brand of a good quality sprayer?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9374229

A brass spray nozzle? lol even those are getting ""cheap"" as constructed ((BUMP...
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9378987

Gymgirl wrote:Which is why I've stopped spending $20 a pop for those plastic sprayers that stop working after 3 applications.

What kinda sprayer are you talking about?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America