Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: My wish for 2013....

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9371385

...that some company will take the concept behind the XHose or FlexibleHose (ďAs seen on TVĒ) and make a similar hose using quality materials. I purchased a 100í (actually 2-50 footers) FlexibleHose and it is the best thing since sliced bread for pulling around a yard and watering plants in areas where the sprinkler system doesnít reach. The problem is that it is so cheaply made that I donít foresee it lasting for much longer than maybe six months of use. After I purchased it I immediately replaced the cheap plastic connecters with brass or zinc ones from HD. I imagine that there is a huge market for such a cool and easy to use hose. Developers and licensors, are you paying attention?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9371448

I have seen the commercials and wondered how the quality was. At the moment I have 2 sets of 100' long high quality 1/2" diameter hoses, which are on self winding reels (powered by the water). I paid over $75 each for the hoses online and they have been worth every penny! I think this is where I got them- http://www.factorydirecthose.com/site/932652/product/PUR-12x75-GH
I have had them about 7 years now and they are like new!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2012 12:05 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9373947

I am learning that some things ARE worth what you pay for them...especially with the gardening tools and equipment.

Which is why I've stopped spending $20 a pop for those plastic sprayers that stop working after 3 applications. I've bought at least 3 in the past 2 years. This year I bought an all metal one with brass fittings that won't break. Every part on it is replaceable, and it should last the rest of my lifetime. $70.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9374220

Gymgirl,
I'm in your camp which is why I'm hoping that someone will come out with a better version of the FlexibleHose that most likely will cost more but Iím okay with that. In the meantime, I may try the 100í long, Ĺí " hose that JoParrott linked to along with the automatic rewinding reel from HD which sound like a good alternative, at least until I get around to installing drip irrigation in my raised beds. On the matter of sprayers, I started buying Dramm sprayers a year or so ago. They cost a little more, but they seem to be made better and have a lifetime guarantee. Now I have 3 Dramm sprayers all of which leak, even after using plumbing tape. I havenít figured out yet how to exercise their lifetime guarantee, whether I go back to the retailer where I purchased them but more likely will have to send them back to Dramm (and pay the postage) for replacements. Any suggestions for the brand of a good quality sprayer?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9374229

A brass spray nozzle? lol even those are getting ""cheap"" as constructed ((BUMP...
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9378987

[quote="Gymgirl"]Which is why I've stopped spending $20 a pop for those plastic sprayers that stop working after 3 applications.[/quote]

What kinda sprayer are you talking about?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America