Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: My wish for 2013...

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 23, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9371389

…that some company will take the concept behind the XHose or FlexibleHose (“As seen on TV”) and make a similar hose using quality materials. I purchased a 100’ (actually 2-50 footers) FlexibleHose and it is the best thing since sliced bread for pulling around a yard and watering plants in areas where the sprinkler system doesn’t reach. The problem is that it is so cheaply made that I don’t foresee it lasting for much longer than maybe six months of use. After I purchased it I immediately replaced the cheap plastic connecters with brass or zinc ones from HD. I imagine that there is a huge market for such a cool and easy to use hose. Developers and licensors, are you paying attention?
Trishann
Iola, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9371467

I want to get the 25 foot one for my greenhouse... It looks like the perfect hose for that...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9371882

I have had a few lol they are easy to use and is that ever nice ! but you cannot put anything more than light pressure through them , my first was busted with use to a root feeder... ease of use A+ lasting quality 0---
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9371963

Might this one from Gardener's Supply work for you? I haven't tried it but the recent reviews sound promising! Happy New Year everyone!
Here is the link:
http://www.gardeners.com/lightweight-garden-hose/37-922VS,default,pd.html?start=2&q=Hoses
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9372062

gardadore

I followed the link you gave and the hose featured does seem to be light-weight and made of better quality hose material with metal connectors instead of cheap plastic ones. However, they are still as long as the length of hose you buy and probably weigh several pounds. The genius of the FlexibleHose and XHose concept is that it expands to it's full length when connected to a faucet and the water is tuned on but when the water is turned off the hose contracts and returns to a very short length so it is easy to carry around and store. My 50 foot FlexibleHose weighs about 1 pound and is 3 feet long when it is not full of water.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9372321

Hrp50, I checked on the FlexibleHose and the Xhose so have a better idea what you have. It seems that anything Gardener's Supply might offer is more expensive than yours so it might be better just to enjoy your advantages and replace it when it wears out. You seem pleased with its performance. The flexible one and coiled one at Gardener's received very conflicting reviews so I, too, am a bit confused as to what would be best for me. I need a lighter weight hose for the big veggie garden which is far from the house. I usually leave a hose in the garden and then drag another out from the house to hook up to it. Yours and the ones I will give links to sound good for watering the Earth boxes in the back of the garden. So we'll see as spring approaches (seems far away at the moment with all our snow!) Have others besides Juhur7 experienced problems with water pressure? That would be a major concern for me as well as I have so much to water and a large area to work in.

Here are the links to two more possible contenders!
http://www.gardeners.com/Slim-Coil-Hoses/38-806VS,default,pd.html?start=1&q=Hoses

http://www.gardeners.com/Flexzilla-#174;-Hose/40-447RS,default,pd.html
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9372445

Personally from experience I say stay away from the coiled hoses--remember years ago when we had coiled telephone cords??? 'nuf said! They were monsters, and so are the coiled hoses. I have 2 of the 1/2" diameter 100ft long long-lasting hoses which I bought online about 6 years ago. They are hooked to self-winding reels that rewind by water pressure. They are a dream to use in my garden. Pricey to buy but worth every dollar. Even if left out all winter or run over by a car- they don't get damaged at all. Wrestling garden hoses at my ages is NOT an option! I have inground irrigation, but still like to hand water some of my plants.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9372465

JoParrott Hello Jo ; what is the brand that goes with a few those , your's particularly? Sounds like a handy item , as to having sore hands or backaches from stretching and lurching hoses around.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9372626

I don't mind at all paying more if the quality and durability goes along with the extra cost because the convenience it worth it. And the FlexibleHose is nothing like the old coiled telephone cords, mine never becomes tangled. I will post when my FlexibleHose is no longer usable and I have to replace it with another one, but hopefully by then there will be something better on the market. In the meantime I will just enjoy using what I have.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9372766

I honestly don't remember just where I bought mine 7 years ago- but this link looks good, and the price is close to what I paid-
http://www.thegardenhosestore.com/1/2-inch-garden-hose Googling it brings up several. I remember posting feedback about the hose.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9372769

And I got my automatic rewdinding reels at Lowe's for about $80. They work really well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9372783

So thank you first of all, and you are using a regular garden hose ,with the auto rewind giving the same features as all the flex- hose junk.
I can get the all rubber hoses at the dollar store for around that cost, and they are not bad, I still think the auto rewind is a better idea myself.
I don't want to voice against the creative but every one of the flex hoses I have had were junk as far as use..!!!
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9372881

Thanks, Jo, for your input and the great link. I was amused by your statement, "remember years ago when we had coiled telephone cords???" I still do in my kitchen and next to the computer so point is well taken!! I've never seen an automatic rewinding reel but will look for it this year because I find rewinding 150 feet of hose a real chore anymore. The Garden Hose Store looks like it has quality stuff so will investigate that more in the spring.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9372890

Gardadore, the reels that use water pressuer will hold about 75' of 5/8" hose, but it holds my 100' of 1/2"-- I really like the 1/2" for being lighter weight and also the water comes out with more force than from a 5/8" hose.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/suu-rsb100/overview/
I see the new models say 100' of 5/8"- I still like the 1/2" better!
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9374219

I may try the 100’ long, ˝’ " hose that JoParrott linked to along with the automatic rewinding reel from Lowe's HD which sound like a good alternative, at least until I get around to installing drip irrigation in my raised beds. On the matter of sprayers, I started buying Dramm sprayers a year or so ago. They cost a little more, but they seem to be made better and have a lifetime guarantee. Now I have 3 Dramm sprayers all of which leak, even after using plumbing tape. I haven’t figured out yet how to exercise their lifetime guarantee, whether I go back to the retailer where I purchased them but more likely will have to send them back to Dramm (and pay the postage) for replacements. Any suggestions for the brand of a good quality sprayer?
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 3, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9374285

I have a half acre here, and do a tremendous amount of watering as we get no rain from March to November. I hate to drag hoses so i put in lots of risers and a hose on every one.

I bought many different weights and grades of hoses, but by far the best one is the 100' gray hose that Costco sells for 20.00 dollars. Where i need a shorter one, i just cut one of the long ones and put fittings on it.

They are light weight, easy to coil, and handle sixty pounds of pressure without a problem, plus they have good quality end fittings. I have replaced several of the others and eventually will replace them all.

But beware. I bought a fifty foot gray hose that looks similar at HD and it was not suitable.

Ernie

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9374423

Thoughts on a good brass or metal sprayer,,, anybody?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9375509

JoParrott
is this the one you have? From Lowe's.

Suncast 125' Water Powered Hose Hideaway Rattan Weave Design

Thumbnail by hrp50
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9375546

Hrp50,

I have been doing a lot of research about the Suncast Water Powered Reels. There was a fantastic reviewer on Amazon for the 125 who pointed out that there are different numbers for these things and some are better quality than others. At the time of his review in 2011 he found the RSW125 to be better constructed than the other 125 numbers. I don't know what the best ones would be now but I see the wicker one has one with RSW. Seeing all the terrible reviews for some of these in terms of construction I am really going to be careful what I buy. Here is a link to Amazon reviews on the RSW125 with some excellent hints as to how to set it up to avoid problems - well worth looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-RSW125D-Wicker-125-Foot-Capacity/product-reviews/B00354QT9O/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_3?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=3&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I can't find the link to the reviewer who recommended this number. See what you all come up with as I am really interested in pursuing getting something similar but good. They are too expensive to not work well!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 11:19 PM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9375592

hrp50, mine is named no-crank-- here it is on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAxvLdpSUBU
and here is mine- in the garage for the winter!
The one you show is a much fancier one- and probably more $$ too. I think mine cost about $80 3 years ago.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9375744

I avoided dragging hoses by laying down a few 3/4" polyethylene tubes (mainlines designed for drip irrigation). I was able to tuck them where I don't mow and mostly won't trip over them.

Then I added end connectors and some "Tees" with a "hose thread" end. Wanting to go overboard, I added "Y"s with valves so that each Tee or end could run a hose plus a dripline or sprayer, each with a shutoff.

So now I have a hose outlet everywhere I want one, with a very short length of hose plus a hand sprayer permanently attached. I cut down my old hoses into short lengths and still have plenty of hose left over. Plus, I have mini-spinners and sprayers, sprinkler and Shrubblers (and one dripline) here and there. I'm learning what works for each area by trial and error.

At $2 each, those plastic Ys with valves and hose fittings seem the cheapest way to turn areas on or off. And they make it easy to re-arrange what goes where.

I found a really good price locally for the 3/4" mainline (100 feet for $20), but 1/2" tubing would have been plenty, and I think that can be more easily found for $15-18 / 100 feet.

If you don 't want any drip irrigation fittings at all, the same thing could be done by just buying enough hoses that you can leave most of them in place, and maybe just drag around one short length to each location. But finding the right drip fittings for an area, and maybe putting that on a timer, could save enough water to pay for the fittings in a few years.

Lawn mowers would be a hazard, and some might consider it ugly.

Photos here - this jumps to the end of a thread. Page up twice
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280142/#new

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 7:15 PM
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9375845

Jo,
The RSW125 is about $99. I don't really need one that big so am checking out the ones for 100 ft. which I think is like yours. Reviewers seem to indicate as you did that it works best with a thinner hose like the 1/2". I am definitely purchasing some 1/2" 50' or 75' lightweight hoses no matter what for this summer. People seem to be having terrible problems with plastic pieces breaking including the handle or the hose coming off track inside making it hard to pull out or retrieve. You seem to have had very good luck with yours - any idea what model number it was? Will keep checking this further. Thanks for the helpful links!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9375854

I can check tomorrow and see if there's a model #, but since it is 3 years old, it's probably been updated anyway. I definitely agree on the 1/2" diameter hose- mine are both 100' of high quality hoses- cost about $75 each 5 years ago- well worth it-- they can't kink, they can be run over with a car and not get damaged.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9375860

OK- I just found this- I think I bought my hoses from here-
http://www.factorydirecthose.com/site/932652/product/PUR-12x100-GH

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America