AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 31, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9371497

Good morning everyone.
Welcome to the New Year and a new look for our Tea House.
I thought a touch of the Orient was a nice change.
We can enjoy our cuppa while watching the peaceful waters.

I hope everyone enjoyed their celebrations and are now safely home.
I am sure some may be nursing a tiny hangover.

Not much to do here, so I will be just relaxing in the garden watching the birds.

Enjoy your day and I hope you will all be making lots of great resolutions that will probably never be kept.
Mine is to enjoy the days as they come and keep chatting with all my Tea Room friends.

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1291378/#top

Happy New Year
Jean.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 7:55 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 31, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9371577

Happy New Year Jean and everyone,

with 40C heading this way today, no more outside stuff for me today, I got out there as soon as the sun was up, but it was 28C overnight so whew !. The weather people are nuts, I don't know where they gather their info, it is so out of whack sometimes, drives you nuts.

I am a cheap drunk so I only had a small nip of Port last night ...big mistake , off I staggered to bed at 11.30 (missing the Fireworks for the first time ever.) luckily we can catch up with them today.

We had a Green snake here yesterday, I didn't know we had those green snakes here where I live, it was a pale green colour quite beautiful ...I was not scared of it, but it means the bad ones are roaming around.

Can't believe it's 2013 ...can you ?
I hope everyone everywhere has a great day/evening.Under the fan in the bedroom is where I will be quite soon :-) Hurry up Autumn !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

December 31, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9371757

You only beat me by 10 mins Chrissy..Good music, Late BBQ, Brandy and beer.. I burst out laughing when I saw Cocky dancing to ''Im too sexy",mind you, I must have looked a sight singing along to it. anyway,a good night and no harm done,.,.Ive so much preparation to do for my lilies.. Refrigerator time.. now I have to decide which ones!, before New Years Day celebrations start,.,.

Thumbnail by g_whizz

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 31, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9371941

we had a quiet one here, bottle of bubbles between hubby & me.
Hoped for a lie in but Ma-in-law was up early & decided to bake a cake.
The sound of her rattling around set Sugar off & so I was up at 6.30
I fed the hounds, found Ma the bits & pieces she needed & went back to bed.
I must have been tired as I went straight back to sleep, hubby woke me later for breakfast in bed.
Nice start to the year :)
Took Sugar to the park where she had a lovely time playing in the creek & with a red border collie, I think they helped wear each other out.

We took the in-laws into town for the first time, big shock for them to see it for real.
We hadn't seen much of it for a while so it was surprises around every corner for all of us.

Ma came out with quite a good line, she saw a sight seeing tour bus & quipped that they need to change it to a site seeing tour.

And the cake turned out quite edible - used some banana & some of the left over boozy fruit from my truffle making.

http://s75.beta.photobucket.com/user/dalfyre/library/Earthquake

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 1, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9372547

Good morning everyone.
A beautiful morning here.
I am going to enjoy it while I can as the heat will be back over the next few days.

I hope all the sore heads are gone now.

Anthony, I can just picture Sooty sitting there watching you and Cocky trying to sing...lol

Charleen, I'm glad T Bo and the others were with you during the noisy fireworks.
Its a shame so many poor dogs are left out and get terrified by all the noise .
Some people just dont think or dont care. .
Charley will have to learn he cannot eat all the hay at once.
I know horses will not go near an electric fence even if its off, once they know what it is.

Teresa, lovely pics , and its great to see some things being done on the damage.
A slow process though.
Hope Sugar & Copper were okay with all the fireworks noise.

Chrissy, glad you enjoyed your quiet celebrations.
We have had a few hot days, but the nights have all be cool so far.
How nice to see one of the pretty green snakes in your garden.
They are probably moving south as the weather warms.

Dianne, You would have had a good view of any fireworks going on around the place.
I like to watch on TV as there is less noise and no smoke. .
Get out and enjoy the garden while you can, its going to get very warm over the next week.
Hug the brugs...lol

Al, from what i see on TV, you had a white Christmas and New Year.
I hope you enjoyed your quiet celebration..
You can start planning your spring garden now .
Reading plant catalogues is great relaxation, as long as you dont decide you must have everything in them,,,lol

Moon, hope your new Year celebrations went well. I know you will be getting some cold weather soon , so settle back with a few catalogues too. A nice way to pass the time.

Hello to anyone I missed.
Happy New Year to all .

Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Chocolate Almond Torte..

I'm off outside
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9372595

Alive and well here! Very quiet night. We actually watched the fireworks from Sydney on the TV coverage from NYC Times Square. What a fabulous display! I'm sure it was beautiful.

Al

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 1, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9372639

Good Morning Everyone ...how are you all feeling :-) exhausted from the festive fun ?

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 1, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9372699

we went out to a double dog show today, Sugar got nowhere but two friends with Dalmatians won their age classes in group for the morning show & hope fully will do well for the afternoon show.
We left after the Dals were judged as the rain was setting in & we didn't need to stay on.
It was a funny day weather wise, we had blustery nor'west wind & rain & it was warm to start with.
Then the sun came out & it was scorching.
We made sure to cover up with plenty of sunblock, and then the sou'west change blew up... suddenly it was cloudy & the rain came down.
Back home now & the rain has finished & the sun is back out & it's warming up again.
Sugar had a lovely time saying hi to all her spotty friends & is now crashed out asleep.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9373011

Maybe Sugar will do twice as good in next show.
Beautiful day here, poor hubby had to go back to work. We got his blood sugar down but this watching what you eat is just not what I like but i do believe I may have lost some weight too. YAY!!!!!!! I have discover Cinnamon capsules and Robert is taking them too, so I hope his sugar comes back down to being more reasonable. I think he is feeling better he was outside yesterday a little more than usual. No waking up at night with leg cramps. that was bothering him too. Robert has quit all the snacking between meals too. He is on insulin twice a day, so he just need a doctor to "let him know" he needs to do better...
Wishing you all a Happy Healthy new Year...
Yep, Charley still got his head in that hay...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 2, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9373306

Good morning everyone. A beautiful morning here.
Going to be really hot later, but the mornings are really lovely & mild.
Well , Christmas & New Year are gone, now we wait for the shops to get all the Easter eggs out...lol

Teresa, Sugar is doing really well. Doesnt matter if she isnt always placed, as long as she tries.
Dear little "angel" (oops weasel. )
Has she managed any new mischief over the holidays besides trying to chew everything ?

Charleen, its hard trying to regulate our hubbys, but keep trying and its good that you feel you have lost weight too.
Mine likes to snack and he just loves sweet things.
Give Charley a hug and tell him I have an extra cookie here for him.

Anthony, are you recovered from Christmas & New Year now ?
You will be out playing among the lilies I suppose.
Hope cocky recovered from the singing duet with you.

No exhaustion here, Chrissy. A lovely quiet and peaceful time for us.
No rellies, no kids, no drink, just a pleasant time.
I dont miss all the rest these days.
I must be getting older.

Al, nice to hear you enjoyed your holidays too. The fireworks look so much better on TV and as you did , you see all the other places too.
I see so much snow over there, so I hope you are not too bad in your area.
Its wonderful how the gardens will all come back so beautifully in spring.

Dianne, how are things down your way ? Going to be very hot later and then the same for the weekend. My brugs are looking good despite the heat as I go out and keep them damp each day.
Its a good time to sit in the shade and enjoy whats still green in my garden.

Hello to everyone else. I am off as its shopping day. We will be getting things done and be home early before the heat gets too much.
Good ice cream weather.

Heres a yummy Mixed Fruit Trifle... for those with hot weather ..
...Apple & Cinnamon Slice for everyone in the cold places. ...

Stay safe and enjoy the day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9373392

The New Year brought new temperatures with it. New Year's Day was overcast, but the temps were around 18C. Now,an inch or so of rain and a day later, it is barely 7C at 4:30 in the afternoon and very wet, windy and overcast. The sort of day that makes you want to stay inside.

After two nights of dipping to 0C, my silly odd little brug is still clinging to its partially opened blooms. I doubt seriously that they will do more than fall off in the next couple days.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl      

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9373477

You could cut it off and bring it in, it may even open up and bloom... They can be rather tough plants...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9373495

Worth a shot... nothing to lose if it doesn't. grin
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 2, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9373554

Flat out moving everything around -Very hot here

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 2, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9373649

It's only 24c here, but it feels like 34c...the cats and Tilly are all flaked out in various corners...
Ray has gone for a walk to try out his new walking shoes...he is a delicate flower with delicate feet...lol
Jean, that trifle looks like mine, that's the type of glass bowl I bought for it...

This is something that I had no idea about and Jean, I wonder if you were aware of the excess charge, if you take a loan car while your car is being repaired...
I didn't know that there was such a thing, but there sure is...my cousin was sitting at an intersection and a young woman who was on the phone, ran in to the back of her...while it was being repaired my cousin thought that she would take advantage of the "FREE'' loan car...
Until her daughter asked her how much was the excess ...wait for it...$3000 for a Honda Jazz...she did not go ahead with the loan car..

Neither of the insurance companies involved in the accident had a way that she could cover the excess...
So I rang a friend who has the local panel beaters, to inquire on his charges and why it was so expensive...
His was $1500 on a small car...if I had wanted a bigger car it would have gotten dearer...whoa...
He said that a few insurance companies will do a deal with a hire car company for a cheaper excess, but in the main...no go.
He can't get the car insured, as a loan car for less than that.

Jean, did you know about this and what would your excess have been?
I was gobsmacked, I suppose it's reasonable under the circumstances, but golly...I would be catching the bus...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9373652

Charleen yes, take the cutting and try, good luck with it, isn't it sad to see that frosted growth.

Yes hot ! ...sitting under a fan here, but it is better than New Years Day, oh boy that grilled everything !
take it easy Anthony and everyone in the heat.

Hope you got home before the heat Jean, it looks a bit scary down your way (fire wise). Take care and be safe.

Have a great arvo everyone out there (or evening over the pond).

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9373661

Yes Dianne I am afraid the Insurance costs are ruining a lot of things, we used to have a huge family reunion every year at our local Church but it has stopped now because it was an extra 600.00 for the day, just for the insurance to cover anyone having an accident. It's the law.
Same with most places now, the fees are horrendous because of the Insurance rules and costs.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 2, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9373728

Dianne, we found out about costs for a loan car right at the start.
I had had one years ago free, mind you, while my car was being fixed.

Those were the good old days.

Here it was going to be something like $100 a day and who knows how many days at the start. Turned out it was a week . Lucky hubby was able to borrow a vehicle ( free ) from the local CFA as they needed him to be able to get about in case of fire.

Its 39C here at the moment. It was hot in Hamilton but not uncomfortable . By the time we were going through Coleraine the heat was worse so I stopped for lots of ice cream. Its all in the freezer now. Guess what I am having for tea ?

Moon, bring the dear little thing inside in the warm. Its been trying to bloom for you so give it a warm place and you may see it open.

I'm sitting here with the fan on and its not too bad .

Going to be even hotter tomorrow so the ones that know are saying ( weather bureau persons ) ...lol

I could do with a little of Al's snow for a while .

Keep cool and stay inside .
Jean.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 2, 2013
9:37 PM

Post #9373779

the insurance companies are trying to make some money back...
after paying out for earthquakes, floods & fires in the past couple of years their coffers are looking a bit lean.
In some areas of ChCh you cannot get insurance.
My stepson tried to get contents insurance & was knocked back.
There have been all sorts of dodgy happenings, a lady I work with rang her insurance company about something only to be told she was no longer insured as her policy had lapsed.
They claimed to have sent her a letter when her direct debit payment failed but it seems like they were happy to have an excuse to get rid of her.
The reason - she has a house that she can't live in & hasn't been paid out for yet.
Her policy still covers fire or further damage so the insurance company would rather not take the risk.

Luckily she was able to get her policy renewed as the bank should have let her know the payment failed or put it though again once her pay had gone in...
computers are great but have one little glitch that delays money going in & all your bill payments can fall over.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9374069

Good morning.

Re insurance and loaner cars...our car insurance has a rider attached for loaner cars...but we pay a bit for it on our insurance bill every six months...which is ridiculously high but that is due to the type of coverage we have. State law requires us to carry liability insurance of at least $10,000/20,000/10,000 (damage/medical for injuries/property damage)...which can be obtained fairly cheaply...some policies less than $50 per month. Of course, should you have that coverage and have an accident, it only pays damages to the other party...nothing for your damages even if it is the other guy's fault...your Ins. company has to file against their company...

When our grandson started driving, we were really concerned and spoke with not only our agent (who covers not only our cars, but also our home) but also with a couple friends who are also in the business. Their advice was to go for the largest amount of coverage we could afford as now days folks are very quick to file suit. We had been carrying a $50,000/100,000/50,000 policy on our cars...now we have a 100,000/300,000/100,000 policy on all three vehicles...here, rates are higher for males under 25 years old...I guess they think at 25 they magically become safer more responsible drivers...and females under 21. I certainly shows up in the premium...Hubby and I have full coverage on our vehicles (comprehensive, collision, medical/liability) and it runs us about $800/6 months...Grandson has collision/medical/liability (older vehicle) and that runs us $1450/6 months coverage...but it is really necessary since he is a minor and should someone sue him (us) without that coverage we could lose our home if a judgement went against us. And yes...insurance is a "legal" racket...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 3, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9374357

Hi everyone ...here it comes, be safe ! Stay cool somehow !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 3, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9374371

Good morning everyone. I am late this morning as I was out watering things early.
It was 40C yesterday here and going to be hotter today with a strong wind. The state is on fire alert and so is hubby.
He will be manning the local HQ in case there is a fire.

The poor brugs are all limp with toasted leaves. Its not only the direct sun but the dry heat that has toasted them.
The whole garden is slowly turning summer brown now. I only water the pot plants from now on as all the others have to survive on their own. They do a good job of it as they are still there after so many summers.

Moon , I am glad we dont have to pay that amount of money for insurance. It is hard enough to keep up with what we have to have here.
By the time one pays for house & contents, life and car insurance each month, half our money is gone and all for a very very small return if we ever have to claim .

Teresa, one of the ladies on the brom thread mentioned vriesias as good plants for you to try. I can tell you that the ones I have here do very well. Most of my broms are in the greenhouse but there are a lot that live outside and survive very well.. Best place is under some shadecloth or on a veranda.

Hello to all looking in. Keep out of the sun today ( or cold for our OS friends)
I am off to finish a bit of watering around the greenhouse.

Heres something nice for a hot day...Lemon Icecream dessert

Stay safe.
Jean..

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 3, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9374381

Hear, Hear moon, that's exactly what it is, only we have to have it for peace of mind...

Chrissy, that pic makes me feel like I'm boiling, I won't look at it today...lol

Well, we are prepared for the heat, the Hydrangeas are covered, the baby Brugs have been sprayed, extra water has been given to the Azaleas, the worm farm is under shelter, there is plenty of water in the garden for the birds, Mick has lots of shade in his paddock, the fish are under shadecloth, their pond is only 20ins deep.
Tilly has already been in her wading pool and the cats are flopped already...as usual.

I'm stewing plums.
Keep cool everyone and warm for you OS..
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 3, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9374440

AAAAAAAAH !-its gonna be a bad one!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 3, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9374828

Happy New Year everyone. It is soooo hot here. The poor plants are suffering badly, and us. The boys and I are sort of trapped inside and I keep going out to make sure the chooks and the sleepy lizard and the galahs are as cool as I can make them. I have cardboard boxes up over both the lizard and the chooks to keep the shade there and their ground has been watered down in places. The galahs have the sprinkler going on top of their cage and they seem quite comfortable. It's 47C on my front verandah. I don't think it got to less than 40C last night. John is coming up tomorrow and is going to take the boys down there for a few days. They're right by the sea down south of Adelaide so quite a bit cooler there. He has one more week of holidays and then back to the grind-stone. We had a lovely Christmas and New Year. Very quiet but did at least see the New Year in this year. Haven't done that for a while. I seem to be on the road to recovery at last and the rest has done me the world of good. Just been pottering around mainly watering. I have lots of broms that need the pups removed but they will be okay in the shadehouse til I'm ready. Dianne, I have one PP fasc. X RFP up but boy are they slow. I thought that they would have been up in the first week, but they are certainly taking their time. Have your's come up? The poor coldies are really suffering. I have had buds on one of Alan's twice now but they just frizzle with the heat. If it cools down considerably tonight I might get to keep a couple this time. I haven't seen any buds on any of the other coldies. My RFP is absolutely covered with beautiful large blooms just about out but I think this weather will wreck them before they do. Last time they just got out and then we had a burst of hot weather and they lasted about a day. I hope everyone is well, and now I'll go back and see if I can catch up with what everyone is up to. Keep cool . Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 3, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9374833

Short n Sweet- 42.1.,.Man alive Im glad Im home to care for the animals,.,.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 3, 2013
11:02 PM

Post #9374836

43c here, phew, they say the change is coming tonight...

Colleen, great to hear from you, my PP fasc seeds came up quickly but have slowed right down...
Your Munchausen x seeds are doing well, RFP is growing like a weed, poor girl is cooking today though...
Glad that you are feeling a lot better and that you had a nice Christmas with the boys..
Too hot for the coldies but just imagine them in Autumn, we all should have flowers...

Going in to watch the news...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 4, 2013
1:09 AM

Post #9374865

Railway tracks buckling in some places ...glad everyone is still alive ! Remember the Tar bubbling on the roads years ago ?

Take care of yourself Colleen, this kind of heat can take a toll on you. Glad you are feeling better.

Drink lots of water and take a cool shower or swim.
This too shall pass ...

chrissy
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 4, 2013
1:38 AM

Post #9374871

good luck Aussies.
The heat wave made the news here, it looks pretty grim.
Just hope no idiots light fires!
Stay safe everyone.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9374959

Put some ice in your tea, folks, and stay cool and rested. We're somewhat below freezing here, still about a foot of snow on the ground. Ski resorts are all open for the season, big weekend coming up with lots of stayover guests.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9375048

Hope you all get some relief soon...that is dangerous weather...be very careful and stay hydrated.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 4, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9375522

Good morning everyone. Finally I arrived to open the Tea Room.
I have been outside enjoying the lovely cool while watering everything . ( 17C)
It is so beautiful out there now but not going to last as the heat rolls back in.
Got to 42C yesterday by about 4.3opm. I have toasted plants everywhere. Nothing to do but water and wait for Autumn.
We had an awful hot wind all day which has totally gone now. ( it will be back soon )
Its the wind and air temp that does the damage to the plants more than the direct sun..
Its amazing how some plants can cope while others right next to them just fall over.
I watered early yesterday too then spent the whole day inside.
Hubby was at the CFA local HQ all day in the air conditioned building. Luckily no fires locally but a few in nearby districts.
With more hot weather to come , everyone is on alert.

Anthony, I hope you are safe where you are. I see so many fires going in Tassie.
Stay safe and look after all your feathered and furry mates.

Al, its days like this that I do wish for a little of your snow, but then with lots of snow, you have awful problems too.

Moon , I seem to be able to consume gallons of water daily in the summer, where I usually only have my cup of green tea about 4 times a day for the rest of the year. The body knows what it needs.

Charleen, I havent seen Charley lately. Maybe he thinks its going to be too hot for him , but the Tea Room has perfect weather.

Hello Dianne, hope you are surviving down there. Put the bikini on and go sit in the ocean...

Teresa, I hope the heat doesnt head for NZ. I am sure you have had enough awful weather for a while.

Colleen, Keep cool there too.

Chrissy, you will have to comfort all your brug babies in the heat.

Today I am going to have to sit at the computer and sort about a thousand files.
Yesterday while doing a bit of updating of my garden files and a few others, stupid me accidently deleted the entire folder I was using . Being a large folder, it didnt go into the rubbish bin but was deleted directly from the hard drive.
I went looking for it but ...gone...All my years of getting pics etc , gone...
Somehow, when adding new stuff to the old file , the b*** computer put it in the wrong place , so when I thought I was deleting the old file, it was actually the new one..

I looked on the internet for info on retrieving deleted files and found a bit of software that could do it.
Apparently , when you delete anything , it is still on the hard drive until eventually overwritten. The little software thingy retrieved over a thousand files, but I had to go through them one by one to see which I needed to keep. As a lot were only numbers, I had no idea of what they were, so had to leave them.
. I now have about 900 or so to go through again and see what I have .
I will b every careful from now on and do a backup more often. I usually put everything on a memory stick every month or so, but hadnt done it for about 6 months.

The joys of modern living. In the old days , I would have had everything written down and never lost.
Oh well. Now I have something to do when its hot outside.

Better put out something for morning tea, then get myself moving. Just the broms to be watered now.

My gardenias love this weather, They are starting to flower and smell very nice on the veranda.

Here we are...Mixed Berry Shortcake...

Happy day and stay cool and safe .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 4, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9375540

Bugger I just lost a long thread ...must go will come back with it later

bye for now !
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 4, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9375632

Ok starting again ...(hubby wanted something done so I had to go)

Anthony I hope you are safe ...shocking

The birds are acting really weird here, I don't like it when that happens, hope it only means feral cats or snakes (rather than something weather related)

Can't even remember what I was chatting about so just a couple of plants that don't mind the heat

Hungarian black chilli with it's pretty purple flowers and splotches (Cinnamon Basil flowers in the same colour behind it). 1
Hybrid Cape Gooseberry ...yummy love them. 2/3
Covered in spider webs (like most of my plants) but still pretty, smells delicious. 4

5 My tribute to our Fire Fighter Angels ...they risk their lives for us.
Brugmansia 'Fire Fighter Angel' I hope they will all be safe today as they fight the fires.

have a safe and hopefully happy day everyone.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 4, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9375639

Chrissy, I always watch for warnings from the birds..When I was a night security officer, If I saw plovers or rabbits roaming, I knew nobody was about!,.,.Safe, here, but the Peninsula is cut off..1 whole town 'gone' Dunalley..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 4, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9375699

I think this headline says it all, Horrific ! ...Hell Fire !

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania-news.html

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 4, 2013
11:47 PM

Post #9375915

Hi everyone. Well it was lovely and cool this morning at 8am. 20C but it has slowly heated up during the day and we're back to 40C at 6pm. Terrible fires in Tassie. It felt like there were fires over the road here yesterday 48.6C it got to. The boys bags are packed ready and waiting for tomorrow when they go for their stay with Uncle John. Motor bike safety gear packed as well. They are going to do some snorkeling this time. I hope they don't cross the path of the blue ringed octopus. Their Dad nearly picked one up years ago when he was about 4, he thought it was a crab hiding under a rock. Just as well his older brother knew what it was and pushed him out of the way. They still got it into a bucket and brought it back for Mum to see. I was so scared of it. I left it in the bucket over night, by which time it had turned white, then I stabbed a knife in it about a hundred times, then I tipped it into the toilet and flush a half a dozen time. I still wouldn't sit down on the toilet for ages, thinking it was going to come back and bite me on the bum. Well I hope everyone is trying to keep cool. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9376099

Praying for rain and no wind for you all...Doggone it...2013 was supposed to be kinder. Colleen, your temps are getting dangerously close to those experienced in Death Valley on its worst days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 5, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9376323

Good morning everyone.
Its a nice cool morning again. I have a cardigan on which will quickly come off once the sun warms up.
Yesterday was more comfortable than Friday even though still quite hot.
Its going to be a very hot week and I hope all the people near any fires are safe.

Anthony, hoping all is well near you, as I see fires are still burning around Tassie.
Very sad to see a town burn . So sad that many have lost all their possessions but at least the people are safe.
Take care of yourself there and Sooty & friends too.

Moon, thanks for the link to your Death Valley. I would not like to be there.
Hope that your weather is much nicer.

Al, stay inside and keep warm. Such a total contrast between our two areas.

Charleen, I sent Charley home with a bag of cookies, did he share with everyone or eat the lot ?...
Hope your weather is much nicer too.

Dianne, how is your garden coping ? I have just watered all the brugs again. I leave the larger part of my garden to fend for itself and concentrate on the shadehouses with watering.
Hope Tilly is enjoying her little pool.

Teresa. how are things in NZ ?
Are you getting some of this heat ? I havent seen any NZ news so hope it is cooler for you .
Give Sugar & Copper a pat for me.

Hello to everyone else popping in for a cuppa. ..

Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Banana Walnut Cake

Keep safe and enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9376354

Roads were clear enough to get out of town for the weekend. Still about two feet of snow on the ground. We went to the city to visit with daughter Becky and the kids. Livy and the twins are doing just fine. Livy went back to the hotel with us and stayed over Friday night and went shopping with Gram on Saturday. She just loves all the thrift shops with tons of cheap second-hand stuff, one would think she was in paradise. A second-hand princess for sure.

Hope the fire situation gets better, sounds awful from here. We get dry grass and brush fires that sometimes attack the forestlands here in the late summer when super dry, the western states are much worse than here. They can be nasty at times.

Good luck and try to stay cool and hydrated.

Al

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 5, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9376655

Anthony, so very sorry to see what's happening in Tassie...those houses were right near the beach...the poor residents, such a beautiful place...
The forests around Portland have gone up too, Jean...they said that the sky was dark in Hamilton yesterday, because of the smoke...

What a frustrating thing to happen, to your files, now you have a lot of work but at least it's there.

Jean, my garden is fine, but that remark you made about putting on my bikini made me smile, I stopped wearing them, more than a few years ago and went for shorts...But now I think that a tent might be more appropriate...I only walk in the water now, anyway. ..lol

Al, the charity shops are a wonderful place to shop now, there is so much stuff that gets given to them, that is only a year or so old, I'm talking furniture as well as clothing, just the other week we were in one and saw the most magnificent desk, it would have almost been 6ft wide and it had so many nooks and crannies as well as a place for a pc...I loved it, even Ray was impressed...but it just wouldn't fit...my room is stuffed with stuff already
so I had to leave it behind even though it was only $150 :-(

Lovely pic, Colleen,
Chrissy, FFA looks lovely, mine is almost out...

These pics are from the very hot day, Quincey the Siamese is 14 next birthday, we're not sure if he realizes it's hot, the kitchen is the only place he goes...Silky is always flat out.
Tilly takes that red Kong everywhere...

Hi to everyone, enjoy your day...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 5, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9376732

Dianne, I bought one of those blue shell pools for my cannas. They love it and are about 5' starting to flower. I cut them back each year and just put a smaller piece in each pot but they grow so quickly. I do like them.
I just lift the pots out in winter and leave them sit. The Pacific Coast iris love a pool too.
I went through all those recovered files and found , much to my disappointment, that most would not open and others were just numbers. I did recover some but nothing like all I had.
Just have to start all over again.
I thought I had lost all the brug info & pics but remembered I had a separate memory stick for all that so downloaded it back on the computer.
I will be much more careful in future.

I love op shops and all second hand places. Not many around here and they are full of old stuff, mainly clothes.
I used to love them in Perth where you can get so many good bargains.
Its a pity that a lot of them seem to think they are upmarket now with prices.

The smoke from the fires was bad here the other day.
It is terrible to lose your whole house and some things which cannot be replaced.
I have a list of things to grab if the worst ever happened here.
Hubby always leaves the car for me if he has to go to the HQ on bad days. He says he would never leave me without a way of getting out if needed.

I have been out getting epis ready to pack, as I sold a few off. The breeze is nice out there but coming from the wrong way to be any use to me where I am working.
I will wait until evening and finish then.

Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9377222

Continued good thoughts to the folks in Tassie...scary times to be sure. Hope things calm down soon...Anthony, stay safe.

Jean, glad you were able to recover some of your lost files. I can certainly relate...for Christmas 2010, Hubby got me a new laptop and for my B'day the following June, a 3 terabyte external hard drive. This past Thursday, the hard disk in my laptop fried. Unfortunately it did it as I was preparing to transfer my picture files to Photo Bucket.

Hubby took it in for repair and when he picked it up Saturday, the tech asked him to apologize to me...he said he tried his best, but nothing could be recovered...I was surprised, but not upset as I had done a backup on Wednesday, so figured all I lost was maybe a day of two of mail...problem is, to date we can not recover any info from the external drive...if I am unable to recover what is on the drive, it will mean over 5000 pictures and my complete 11 year garden log for this house along with all of my music and all of my videos of the grandchildren are gone. When we reconnected the ext drive, it informed us that there was "No back up plan in place"...not real sure what that means, since the ext drive IS the back up plan...I am trying to be optimistic until I can speak with the Seagate people on Monday...but have this niggling little voice that keeps saying all is lost.

Hope you all have a cooler Monday.

Be safe,
Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 6, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9377364

Good morning everyone. Another lovely cool morning here. Yesterday wasnt too bad but the very hot days are due to return.
A bit of a rush this morning as I have been watering and now have to get my large parcels ready then get to PO.

Moon, yesterday I decided to put my pics on Picasa which I did use a while ago. I kept the setup thingy and when I ran it again to load pics, I found that it was loading so many pics I had lost with the mistake the other day.
I have no idea where Picasa found the pics . Maybe they stayed on the software even though I had removed it. It was still in the computer.
Now I have all my pics back but still lost a lot of info files on the family genealogy.
I am not too worried about them as I have copies on a disc.

Anthony, hope you are s till out of harms way there.

Hello to everyone else. I had better get moving or I will miss todays postman. .

Take care everyone and stay safe.

Heres a nibble for morning tea...Blueberry Muffins

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 6, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9377538

it's a lovely day here, I went out & harvested poppy seed first thing this morning, some of the seed pods were duds, nothing but dust inside.
But I should have enough to share with my workmate.
I am so tempted to toss some seed over the barriers around the red zone.
I think Flanders poppies would look good growing on the empty sites where buildings once stood...

I weeded my herb garden & harvested my lavender flowers, I have the lavender in bunches in the garage to dry.
We got little organza drawstring bags with chocolates at the wedding reception, aha thought I, just right for lavender bags...
hope Baz & his parents kept theirs - will have to ask tonight when they all get home.

I have the place to myself, Baz is back at work & my in-laws are out for the day.

I should be doing some housework but right now can't be bothered.
I have the week off work & it's nice to just indulge myself for a bit.

picture is from New Years day, the oldest commercial building in Christchurch, the earthquakes were pretty hard on it!

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 7, 2013
1:26 AM

Post #9377786

A Horror Day heading this way tomorrow ...stay safe everyone, these conditions are a replica of Black Christmas Day fires.
We have been preparing for it all day. Westerly Winds, mid 40's at least.
Those poor Tasmanians ...proud of their fortitude and courage, so sad for their loss. Just a reminder, we lost power and water for days in our fires of 2001(were forbidden to leave the home for supplies because the fires just went on and on), so store some water and make sure your torches work (just in case).

Good luck and stay safe everyone !

chrissy
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 7, 2013
1:42 AM

Post #9377789

Smoke is bad here,.3 days coughing, nd back to work, was'nt easy in it..,,.but I feel sorry for the poor buggers down the peninsula,.,Dunalley and surrounds was a very pretty place,.,.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 7, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9378311

Hi Chrissy only 7 45 am- starting to get hot out side here - hope your area has no firers today try to stay cool elaine
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9378334

We're even getting the Tassie news here, looks like an awful blaze. Stay safe friends.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 7, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9378336

Good morning everyone.
Its a very smoky morning here with the night air having held the smoke close to the ground.
The sun is up and starting to burn off the few little clouds and move the smoke.

I am in the middle of watering so will just say hello to anyone popping in and I hope you are all safe from any fires in your state.
It seems Mother Nature is showing us just how dry and dangerous she can be.

Nothing much being done around my garden now so take care everyone and stay safe.

Heres a nibble for anyone coming in for a cuppa. ...Coffee Cake..

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 7, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9378353

No birds or bees here this morning ...????
stay safe everyone.

Good luck and God bless.

chrissy
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 7, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9378457

Here in Whalan overcast with a few gusts of wind then a stillness not many birds only 4 doves in the trees now just had a few drops of rain . elaine.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9378502

Please know we are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Be safe y'all
Moon
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 7, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9378606

Aussie was big news here last night, especially Tassie.
Good luck everyone, stay safe!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 7, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9378671

Good luck today, Chrissy and everyone in NSW...
We are looking at the horse races there and the wind is terrifying...
The thought of a fire with that wind behind it!!!

The fires are still going in Tassie and the Portland forests...
Great start to the year...

Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 8, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9378806

Stay safe everyone. It's a little cooler here today but with a southern gusty wind. Have been baking today to fill the larder before the boys get back home. They have been motorbike riding today and are just having a bbq. Not too much done outside in the past couple of days, just lots of watering for animals and plants. I have to go for a Mammogram tomorrow. Boy I'm not looking forward to that. The thought of it just makes me cringe. My appointment is for 11.20 but am taking off early so that I can get some shopping done first then if need be I can come straight home. Do we all dread this like me, or am I being a sook?. I have had one before so I do know what I'm in for. Have a great evening everyone and stay safe. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 8, 2013
12:53 AM

Post #9378811

Colleen you are NOT a sook really you are very brave I know I have one every year happy to say all have been clear 6 years now still a worry never knowing if the dreaded C will come again.
elaine.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 8, 2013

Post #9378815

Off to SW tomorrow, -Maydena, with a delivery.. hopefully no fires,.,.a sprinkle of rain today and much cooler-Anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 8, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9378818

Well we survived the day ...still very hot here, 36.6 C at 8 tonight, hot wind still blowing, relief coming at midnight.
Back in the " old days" mum would make us lay down on the lino floor with a wet wash cloth on our foreheads. We would sleep outside on the trampoline if the Southerly Buster didn't cool us off enough.Babies were wrapped in a damp cloth etc.

I hope you are all feeling ok tonight.
Colleen commiserations on that ... but good on you.Treat yourself to some small pleasure afterwards, a gelato or a plant.

Elaine that is great news ! :-)

To our mates over the pond, thanks so much for your good thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Well tomorrow may be kinder I think lets hope so. The animals and insects haven't come back. YET.

chrissy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9378915

Charley is standing at gate, Was telling me he has a wonderful bunch of cookies to eat on the way home and "NO' Jean, he didn't share. Not intentionally. but Abigail did get a few crumbs as they fell to the ground.
So sorry about the terrible fires. We have had some fires but none like Tasmania.
Seems when the weather is hot and dry is when the fires come upon them.
The little boy with the lizard was a cute picture, Colleen.
Chrissy loved that yellow brug and the name too.
Hope everyone has a wonderful day, even if they have to share the pool with Silky, so cute.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 8, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9379242

Good morning everyone. Its a cool morning here after the nice cool change came in yesterday afternoon.
We had a few ( very few) drops of rain.

Anthony, I see on the news this morning that there was snow in a part of Tassie. Seems so odd to think of all the heat & fires with snow on the mountains.
I hope they are getting the fires all under control there.

Chrissy, Elaine and all our other friends in NSW, stay safe and I hope the fires there are soon all under control.

Colleen, you go for that mammogram and dont be scared of it. It is one thing all women should do . I have my reminder notification sent every 2 years and always attend. It is painless and I find the ladies that do them are always so nice. We are lucky enough to have a mobile xray truck come around instead of having to go all the way to Portland as I used to.

Dianne, hope the cool change arrived for you too.
Its only a small respite as the heat will return . Tell Tilly to stay near her pool..

Moon & Al, thanks for the thoughts & concern. I know there are terrible fires that start over your way too during summer. It seems so far away when we watch during our winter.

It seems each summer gets worse as the growth during the year gets longer and then dries out ready for fire.
Our roadsides are a tinder box with all the long grass and branches left to lie and wait.
It was always a great help in cleaning this mess years ago when farmers were allowed to graze the roadsides and people were allowed to pick up all the loose timber along the roads.
It made just a little less fuel for any fires.
Now we have "those people" with all the silly rules, stopping any sensible actions.

Charleen, I sent Charley home again with more cookies. He did share with Abigail this time and I see T Bo running along with him.
Hope you are getting a bit of rain there.

I had better get moving as I want to keep the plants damp for when the heat returns in a day or so.

Stay safe and enjoy your gardens if you can.

Here something nice for morning tea... Chocolate Coconut Macaroons.

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9379291

Good Morning.

It rained here over the weekend...wanted so badly to wish it away to Chrissy and Anthony. It started raining again this afternoon...and they say it will rain for the next 2 or 3 days. You can not walk across the yard without leaving ruts...I do so wish this were falling from your sky.

Colleen, a friend who is a breast cancer survivor says mammograms are gifts women can give themselves with zero guilt. Her's saved her life and allowed her to see her youngest child graduate from high school. So, Dear, treat yourself and make sure you are there to see the boys prosper as men.

Good thoughts and prayers for you all to be safe.

Moon
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 8, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9379312

We have a cool change to day my dog woke me at 4 all excited barking and jumping up to go out the big fuss was the cool wind then he layed down and back to sleep on the grass .

Best I dont say whate I think sould have happened to the boys that started the fire in my area but a thank you to the 15 Rural fire service trucks and men thate worked over 2 hours to get the fire under control and 5 police cars that raced to help . 10 hectures was burned out.

till later have to answer the ringing phone elaine,

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9379344

Colleen, there are too many ladies out there that didn't have exams and sure wish they had. I have had mine, and the Technicians are getting better Girl. Please for and have it done.
Hugs and nuzzles...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9379488

A thread has been posted on the Plant ID forum from Brisbane, seeking a tree ID...it appears to be a Mimosa or Wattle, and very hard to eradicate. It resembles Mimosa pigra, but the flowers do not seem to match. I am posting a link to the thread here, perhaps if you all have a chance, you might give it a look. Thanks, Moon

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292959/

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 6:42 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 8, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9379645

My next mammogram Colleen will be my last...they finish at 70... yes, they can be a bit uncomfortable and a bit embarrassing, but for your own peace of mind, worth the discomfort.
My Linda had breast cancer 10 yrs ago, she's ok now though. there are no mammograms for her age group, she found the tiny lump in the shower.
I think that we all feel apprehensive until we get the all clear...just think of it as a visit to the dentist, not great but necessary...

It looks like mother nature is having a rest until Friday...
it's very confusing to the garden...I have Crocus, Magnolias and Cyclamen all in flower...along with tomatoes and cucumbers ready to pick.
Dianne.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 8, 2013
11:00 PM

Post #9379741

Gee I am well over 70 have a yearly visit to my Oncologist then have a ful day in hospital for blood and other tests including Mammogam . I do come from a family all woman have had breast C or C in other places this has happened in 3 generations 2generations resulted in death .
Great to hear your Linda is in good health.

elaine

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 8, 2013
11:48 PM

Post #9379747

Thanks Elaine...wonderful that you are staying clear too.
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 9, 2013
1:16 AM

Post #9379752

Snow ,Jean.. I was near in it!!!!.. can you believe it?, When I arrived at Maydena, They had-had 8 hrs of rain,..,.I had to switch the heater on in the truck
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9379927

Snow? Yeah, we"ve got more. This is a view of our Elm Street after last nights dump of about 8 inches. I'd box some up and send it to you all if I could, but I don't think that will work out. We will save it for the skiers. We haven't quite gotten into the "deep freeze" just yet. There is a period between January and February that we go sub-zero F for a couple of weeks. The winds can drift the snow up to 5 or 6 feet high in places. We just bundle up and stay inside.

Hope the fires are burning out soon and everyone is okay over there.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 9, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9380147

25C & raining here - wish I could send it on to Aussie but it is supposed to clear & go back to sunny.
At one stage this morning I was sitting on the deck having breakfast in the sun while the rain was falling ...
after it being 29C all night I am not complaining.
I had the hose out & gave the garden a good soak yesterday so the soil is still damp & it will absorb this extra quite happily.

Down south they have fires & further south floods!
I'm not sure where but the news reported a man will be charged after his use of an angle grinder caused a fire.
Sometimes the sheer stupidity of people is just mind boggling!

How bizarre that Tassie is having raging bush fires & snow falls at the same time.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 9, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9380212

Good morning everyone.
Its a sunny but cool morning today after a cool day yesterday.
I finished moving and trimming all the epis and now have a nice space to put all my old mother broms while they still have pups.
We are off to Hamilton again today. Hubby says we need a day out, but he has to visit the physiotherapist first.
We may as well enjoy the cool before the heat comes back.

Al, thats quite a bit of snow. I dont think I would swap our weather for it though. It would be a total contrast for my plants now they are all toasted by the sun.

Teresa, it seems you have caught a bit of the weird weather disease over there too. Fire and water together.

Anthony, keep safe down there. The fire fighters would love that rain if it fell in the right places.

Dianne, I didnt know that mammograms finish at 70. How odd. Looks like the next will be my last too, then.
ooops, now everyone knows how old we are...lol

Elaine , nice to hear you are safe from that fire.
How are your mosaics going ?

Charleen, I sent T Bo home with a nice bone to share. Charley is getting fat from all that hay too. I told him to gallop on the way home and lose some weight

Colleen, Moon is right . A little embarassment or inconvenience is not worth your life.Please make sure you get that mammogram.
I speak from experience.
Many years ago, I had never had a pap smear until my then, new doctor said I must. When the results arrived, she sent me straight to Perth for treatment for the beginnings of cervical cancer which would have eventually killed me.
Any that live with the shadow of what might have happened, will urge every woman ( and man ) to have what tests are available , to ensure we all enjoy our lives and family.

Better move myself or we will never get to hubbys appointment. .

Here is a nice treat from the kitchen. ...Orange Date Muffins.

Happy day...Stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 9, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9380307

I was looking for the Breast screen website to check if I had the 70 correct, and the first 2 sites at the top of the page were advising against it..
No wonder people get confused...
Now that the world knows how old we are Jean, I meant to add yesterday, that it will be our last pap smear too...
Though with your history, you may have to go a bit longer...

Anthony and Al, I hope that you have both had your Prostates checked, we as your proxy older sisters can tell you to do this...my husband had no outward indication at all...but he had to have it removed...

Well that is the end of the medical half hour...

Off to buy some potting mix, these Brugs just keep growing...
I took this pic simply because I enjoyed looking at the colours together, just a half dozen plants and all that colour...

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 9, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9380450

Check!-Dianne...Brain scan as well!!!!-they couldnt find anything,..,Enough stupid banter, Ive got a Lily Show to get started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Anthony

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 9, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9380508

When and where is it on Anthony?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 9, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9380623

Hi everyone. Well I did go and have the mammogram. I took 2 panodol half an hour before and had a bit of a talk to the technician when I went in and she said that she would go slowly and if it was too painful she would ease off a bit. Well, this big sook didn't feel a thing. The shape of the machine has changed but I couldn't believe it. She said that as we get older the breast tissue gets softer plus the panodol was a good thing to do. Now to wait for the results. Thanks everyone for your support. The weather has cooled down a tad over here. It's really very nice. The boys will be home this afternoon full of news of what they've been up to no doubt, forgetting that I speak to them every night on the phone and they tell me the day's goingson then. It will be lovely to have them home again. I do miss when they're not here. In a couple of days I will be wondering why I said that. lol Siverside for tea tonight. We all like that whether hot or cold but I think I'll do vegies for tonight and then if there's any left they can have a sandwich or cold serve tomorrow. Well best be seeing what else there is to do before the tribe arrives. Keep well and safe. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 10, 2013
12:39 AM

Post #9380675

Fires just down the road (20km south of here) in Rolleston.
A surge of water seen travelling down the Waimakariri river, about 10km or less North of here...
so much rain on the West Coast that it's not surprising, possibly a log jam upstream suddenly gave way.

Whether the weather be windy
Whether the weather be hot
Weather the weather
Whatever the weather
Whether you like it or not

the things we memorise as children seem to stick with us :)

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 10, 2013
2:50 AM

Post #9380708

DIANNE- Claremont of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SAturday and Sunday.,With ,Tino Carnevale opening the show at 2pm,.,.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9380854

Good on you Colleen...big thumbs up.

Teresa, hope they are able to douse that fire quickly. Be Safe.

Whoo=Hoo Anthony! I am sure you lovelies will be the Belles of the Ball.

Jean, hope you had a fun day out. Any orphans follow you home?

Dianne, I agree, a lot of color in a small group.

Hope you all have a happy day.

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9380992

I made a dragon garden today...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9380997

Aww Charleen...that is too cute.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 10, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9381143

Good morning everyone. Getting ready for more heat today. Its already quite warm out there . Yesterday was not too bad . A bit warm but the change came in around 5pm and we then had very strong winds which would have whipped up any fires again.
So many fires everywhere, but we have to live with that type of thing when living in such a dry country.
Its a perfectly normal thing for this land , even if there are dire consequences from the fires. This weather has been here for millennia, which is why our flora has adapted to living with fire.
Its very hard now because of the toll taken on humans.
Mother Nature does not worry about small things like us.
She has been running the world far too long to bother about a few hundred years of humans getting in her way.

Aside from the tragedy of the fires on humans, it is a wonder of nature to see how plants have evolved to cope with fire in our country.
Trees have huge roots underground to regrow from and seeds need fire to germinate. A lot of grasses need fire to burn them leaving room for the new growth.
This is truly a sunburnt country.

Anthony I hope your liliums do well at the shows.
Good luck with them all.

Colleen, great to see you had the mammogram . Nothing to it these days.

Teresa, hope the fire near you was contained quickly.
I remember that rhyme too . It was something we learned as children.

Moon , I hope your friends were able to get info on that odd plant from all of us.

Charleen, I love your little dragons. Cute little things.

Dianne, get that pool ready for Tilly Sounds like she will need it again today.
No orphans followed me home, but I did buy a couple of broms on eBay.

I am off outside to continue the watering...

Heres something tasty for morning tea...Strawberry Cream Cake...

Stay cool and safe everyone
Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 10, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9381176

We have a hot one on the way to-day.
Charleen I love your dragon garden .
Colleen Good for you bet as you walked out you were wearing big smile .
No Jean no new Mosiac but yesterday I was lucky picked up a base guitar in new condition for
$140 just building up a lot of material and things for when I start again. Have a art gallery interested in showing my work witch is a big step still thinking if I will do it I am a bit old to jump into the artey side of things Think I will have to improve a lot more before my things are perfect.
Have a great day have fun and smile whate ever your doing to-day.
elaine.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9381266

Thank you, I may have to make another garden...
Cake looks so delicious.
Glad you got the test done and over with til next year, Colleen...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9381405

My goodness Jean, you wax philosophical today...with a nod to Bill Bryson...grin

Elaine, an artist friend of my once told me that no true artist sees perfection in their work...they continually aspire to it and are amazed when others declare it so. In light of that, GO for it...you could be Sydney's Grandma Moses...a much loved American artist.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 10, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9381480

g_whizz wrote:DIANNE- Claremont of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SAturday and Sunday.,With ,Tino Carnevale opening the show at 2pm,.,.

My apologies, Anthony...of course it's your Claremont...not thinking...I hope the weather is kind to all the exhibitors...good luck with yours...
Tino seems to be a lovely fellow...I enjoy his segments on GA...

My new mattress arrived today and boy was I glad to see it...it's only a couple of years since I bought one, but I've never been happy with it...
I usually buy Sealy posturepedic, but last time, I bought something else and I've been sorry ever since...So it was back to Sealy again...

Well, I hope everyone has a good weekend...
Dianne

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 12:55 PM
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 10, 2013
11:49 PM

Post #9381688

Well I was right about needing my own generator just received my notice interruption to power next thurs 8:30 am till 5:00pm HA-HA no worry to me and my dog does not have to suffer will have a nice cool house.

How I was asked about a exhibition of Guitars I gave one away as a gift at Chistmas still not sure about putting myself out there have till easter for final answer and in thate time to do a few more.
Dont think I will be a grandma Moses. I call it playing and a great feeling smashing up the tilesand refitting them into a a new way of seeing them.
elaine.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 11, 2013
2:20 AM

Post #9381713

Dianne, Tino is a great bloke and really appreciates my sense of humour and passion for lilies.,.Tomorrow will be brilliant..,going by todays entries,..TIRED-BED-Anthony!!!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 11, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9381722

Good Luck Anthony.

Go for it Elaine!

Fires out, so far so good...
flooding came to nowt - was discoloured water coming downstream, not a massive surge as reported.

Another warm one today, took Miss Sugar plum for an hour walk finished with a free run at the park this morning,
Let her run in the creek too, she loved it!

Hubby noticed she was quieter when he let her out this arvo.
I went into town, did some shopping, have vouchers to use & didn't see anything I wanted.
Also had drinks with my workmates to farewell our shop manager who has been made redundant.

Stupid decision by management but they have been messing her around for months, really she had enough to do with out micro managing the shop but they wanted her to justify her job & in the end cut her loose despite the fact that nobody else knows the software like she does.

I can see this coming back to bite them in the rear.
Just going to bat my eyelashes & play blonde when it does... I'm just a shop assistant Mr big shot manager man, you sacked the one who knew what to do.
Now you can sort the mess, cause I'm just here to sell clothes!

Unless my job depends on being more than a shop assistant, in which case thank goodness I learn fast...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9381926

Anthony, best of luck to you. If the judges have eyes, you will be an all around winner.

Teresa, management decisions in matters like that rarely seem to make sense...hope your shop manager finds a wonderful job. It may get very interesting at your work...GRIN

Dianne, enjoy the new mattress, hope it gives you good sleep and happy dreams..

Jean, no ID yet for the fellow in Brisbane. I gave him the number for QLD forestry dept as they want to be contacted for any sightings of mimosa pigra, a possibility, so at the least they can tell him what it is.

Elaine, if you have the time, go for it. I have seen pictures here of the lovely work you do...so know the quality is there...all ya need is the interest.

Colleen, know you will be happy to have the boys back home, but the break was probably good for you all.

Al, I was curious as to the difference between rain and snow...Volume, not definition...GRIN I found this link that says as rule of thumb, 1 inch of rain equals 10 inches of snow...thus far we are just over 8 inches of rain...

http://theweatherwiz.com/school/1-PRECIPITATION.htm
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 11, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9382200

Good morning everyone. Just been out watering again. Hubby tells me that it will be cooler for a few days then very hot next week.
Of course I needed to know this...lol
He delights in telling me when it will be hot or cold...dear man.
My garden is completely toast now but thats usual. It will green up again.
I dont worry as all my favorite plants are watered and nice & green.
The trees are all losing their leaves in the heat. It looks like Autumn under the willow.

Anthony, best of luck, but we all know your liliums are the best.
Hope Cocky & friends are coping with any heat there.

Moon, interesting link. I am glad I dont have to worry about snow here. ( maybe I should not have said that, Mother Nature may be listening )
If it snows here next winter, everyone will know to blame me...lol

Teresa, maybe you should get Sugar a little pool and let her jump around in it. Keep her from other mischief.
I hope your job stays as you like it and that the "redundant"lady gets herself a great new job.

Charleen, how are things with you ? Give that cutie T Bo a pat for me.
I saw some little donkeys the other day which made me think of Charley and friends.

Elaine, your work is very pretty, so if someone wants to display it , go for it.

Dianne, how are things down your way ? I hope your garden looks better than mine.
My cannas are loving their pool. I must get another one for the rest.

Hello to everyone else popping in.
I am off to move a few pots around again. I finished repotting all the bromeliads so now just have to arrange them nicely .

Heres a nice nibble for morning tea...Walnut Brownies..

Take care and stay safe

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 11, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9382326

warm here again, spent the morning tidying two other gardens so now just have one that is a mess.
The green bin is full but should be able to fit lawn clippings in as the weeds & rose prunings will compact down.
Too hot outside now for gardening, I have sunblock on but could feel the heat on my skin so when Baz called me in for lunch I figured it was time to quit for the day.

1)tidier than it was, you can see my test colours for the house paint on the chimney. Going to use the darker one, half strength on the walls, full strength on the chimney as contrast.
2)Sea holly with bumblebee
3)daffodil garden after weeding
4)the better end of the jungle I still need to tackle
5)my tomatoes in their planter bag on the terrace

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 11, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9382458

Just come back from the mussel festival at Portarlington, I deliberately didn't have any breakfast so I would have enough room for the dozens of ways to eat mussels, plus Thai, Nepalese, Spanish,Vietnamese etc, food, that was on offer...
This year I got thru, mussels done in breadcrumbs, mussels in coconut sauce, then the paella looked so good with all the mussels sticking up, that I had a plate of that and I was finished...so disappointing, but I couldn't manage another bite... :-)
Oh well I will be back again next year to try again...
It isn't an expensive day because Ray hates any seafood...he had a hamburger and donuts...lol..

The fellow from Golden Ray Liliums was on the radio this morning and he has just come back from touring 16 Lilium farms in Europe..
he said that the trend was for shorter plants now because so many people want to put them in pots and not use them as cut flowers, I must admit that they would be easier to look after if they weren't so tall...

Anthony, I would imagine that your show pics will be available online again...Hope that you had success...as well as the show going well.

Some of my Brugs look downright ratty, Jean...but everything else is ok...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 12, 2013
2:45 AM

Post #9382521

Phew!- Clash of the Titans.,. with a bit to brag about,..,Record Show[ In this weather].,Good Mercury newspaper coverage, today AND tomorrow,.,.Im really happy-but tired,.,Thanks All, Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9382630

Can't wait for the brag part Anthony...Grin hope it comes with a picture of two.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 12, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9382887

Good morning everyone. A nice cool morning here. Overcast but no rain forecast.

Anthony, great coverage for the show in the paper there. Congratulations on a wonderful job.
Cant wait to see all your pics and hear about your wins.
I hope Molly was there with prizes too.

Dianne, you didnt bring any mussels to the Tea Room for the rest of us.
You must have eaten them all on the way...lol
I would be like you in eating all the seafood. Hubby likes it but cant eat much as he is allergic to a lot of it.
All the more for us girls...giggle

Teresa, your garden is going to be a lovely picture in spring. I hope all your repairs are done by then so you can get all the spaces filled in the garden again..
You are lucky that Baz calls you for lunch. I have a habit of getting lost in the garden doing things and poor hubby will wait patiently for his lunch.

Colleen, hope all is well up your way. You will enjoy having the boys back home but the rest would have been very good for you.

Hello Moon, Al & Charleen. Sounds cold over there. Be nice if we could just swap a day or two each week . Some warm for you all and some rain for us...lol

Hello everyone else looking in. ..

I have something nice for morning tea...always a favorite... Chocolate Cake.

Stay safe and enjoy your day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9382953

It would be great to just have a visit with you all. Been a beautiful day. Charley came to the gate and was telling me it wasn't fair, The way he is treated. Much like an animal. He thinks he should have the right to go everywhere he sees a nice cookie or cake. Not the mention all the fields of grass which is always on the outside of his gate. Such an unruley bossy mule. TBo jumped up on gate and told him to "get back, you are not getting out of there, Mommy would worry about you roaming. She won't even let me go too far without calling my name."
Hope your Days are great and may a cool breeze blowing in from somewhere. Hoping all the fires are out and everyone can rest.
Hugs, love and nuzzles to all...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9383077

Very strange weather here indeed. We went from last week's deep freeze to a very warm 50 F. thaw today. Put the local river on a slight rise with the runoff, but not at the dangerous level. Should turn cold again soon, winter is certainly not over just yet.

We're planning the next trip south around March 1st., maybe get to beautiful Savannah, Georgia and St Augustine in Florida along the beach area. That's about the time we all get tired of being cold here in New York.

Hope the fire situation is better over there. Stay safe all.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 13, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9383783

Good morning everyone. The sun is out here in a clear sky, so will get hot later.
I spent some of yesterday clearing a couple of old echiums from my new brug space. I will put up a piece of shadecloth today then add a longer piece on the path side for winter protection .
Today will be a lazy day as I have just about done all I want in the garden for now. I will trim a couple of the shrubs in the cottage garden as I dont want them getting away from me as they did last year.
I am very surprised to see how my Justica is coping in the heat. It is in the cottage garden but gets sun most of the day. Except for a few crispy leaves it is looking good and flowering . It has been there for about 6 years now. I may move it to the old shadehouse as I would hate to lose it .

Hello Charleen, it was lovely to see Charley and T Bo this morning. They were waiting for me to open the door so they could beg for cookies. I did send some home with them for all the other furry ones.
Thank you for the cool breeze. It was nice yesterday.

Al, you must be wondering what to wear there as the temps jump around. I hope the river stays down near you.
Sounds like a very nice trip you are going to have later.
It will be warmer anyway.

Hello Dianne, Teresa, Moon, Colleen and Anthony.
I hope all is well in your areas.

Anthony, so sad to hear one of the fire fighters lost his life down there.
The large observatory at Coonabarabran in NSW was also caught in the fires.
It is still only January, so I hope the fires can all be controlled and no more start.

I am off to do a few things outside before it gets too warm.

I will leave something nice out for morning tea...Chocolate Truffles.

Stay safe and enjoy the day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 13, 2013
11:43 PM

Post #9384168

much cooler here today & rain predicted to start tonight & continue over the next few days.
We could use it, sheep farmers are destocking at low prices as they know they won't have enough feed.
Good to see them put animal welfare ahead of profits.
Hopefully we get enough rain to boost grass growth ahead of autumn.

I was back at work for the first time in a week.
Fairly quiet & my co-worker is having to take on duties that our manager used to do...
one of the office ladies suggested she leave it for Levin to sort out but if it isn't done we in the shop suffer - especially when it comes to our pay as someone needs to send that through!

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 14, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9384822

Good morning everyone.
Very quiet in here today.
I will just say hello to all and pop back outside while its nice and cool.
I am getting all the plants watered before the high temps we are supposed to be getting by Thursday.
I hope you are all safe from any fires etc in your states and overseas.

Heres a tasty nibble for anyone popping in for a cuppa... Apple Tart.

Take care everyone and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9385026

Some of my blooms. It has been very warm for this time of year. Thought you may like to see them
the second picture is showing where Dufess Buried an egg to go eat later. In the daffodils...#3 is Camillia that is just starting to bloom, so beautiful...Then narcissus, then TBo is grinning for you.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 14, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9385087

You must wonder what your Summer will be like Charleen if this is your Winter. I hope you aren't in for the kind of Summer we are experiencing so far. You must be pleased to have your lovely flowers in Winter, it's like that here too in some years.

this is the first time I have grown this lovely Chilli ...it is called Hungarian Black, I wanted it for the flowers and black fruit here are the first fruits, I love it ...the black ones will eventually turn ruby red, so you get purple flowers and both black and red fruit as well, I couldn't resist ! pic 1 and 2 you get splotches of deep purple on the branches as well, these are said to be a very fruity medium heat, what more could anyone ask ? Thanks Jean for the link you gave us, great site great service and very cheap too !

Of course you all know what 3 and 4 are, beautiful rose /coconut scent ...the scent of Summer !

Have a lovely day everyone (before the big heat comes back)
waving to our cold friends over the pond ! stay warm.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9385097

My Japanese Magnolia Doctor Merrill is starting to bloom, but the rain is beating it up 8-(

Chrissy, this is one of very few sites my Hubby and I both enjoy...Him for the heat and me for the color...8-)

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/chilli_varieties.html
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 14, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9385179

Been a bit busy the last few days getting every done before the heat returns .
did open and tryed the little generater pleased just the size I wanted so went and got 2 new fans so every thing is ready for Thursday .

I have often been told I march to a differant beat of the drum so now I have a drum of my own it is to mosaic around the sides and a electric guitar .

Thumbnail by sammut   Thumbnail by sammut         

Nelsonian
Nelson
New Zealand

January 14, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9385268

Hello everyone, I have been offline since the 28th December as my hard drive died and could not be revived. Had to buy a new computer and then a delay because of holiday time in having it set up... oh dear, everything has changed and it is a struggle to come to terms with how it all works now.
Had 5 inches of rain in the last two days, but pleased to have it rain as the council was getting ready to restrict the use of water in the graden.
The blue Plumbago is now in full bloom, it is such a pretty shrub.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9385648

Good Morning

Elaine...I like your "drum beat" (grin) looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Nelsonian, sorry about the computer. Mine fried it's HD a couple weeks ago...fortunately was able to replace the drive, but I agree, it is very hard to figure out all the changes...everything looks different and some things I was used to are just...GONE

Lovely flowers y'all and a very tasty looking tart.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 15, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9386187

Good morning everyone. Another beautiful morning. Its nice and cool but will be very hot later.
We are forecast to have temps around 41C tomorrow.
I am glad I finished moving my brugs into the new area so they have more shade.

Charleen, your flowers are so lovely. Its nice to see color in the garden during winter over there.
I love the grin on TBo's face.
Pat Charley and the others for me.

Moon, I like a bit of chilli in my cooking but not too hot. I love all the colors in those pics though.
Chillis are such pretty things when growing.
My hubby is a lover of chilli sauce on everything..

Chrissy, that black chilli is very different.
Makes a statement in the garden.

Nelsonian , nice to see you back. Computers are a pain in the proverbial !!. They have a mind of their own .

Elaine, looks like you have a few projects there now to keep you busy. The drum will be something different for you.

Teresa, how are things over your way ?
I hope the dear young lady is behaving her perfect self...lol
I wont send the heat over to you, but you can send any rain here .
Give those spotty ones a pat for me.

Dianne, are you melted yet. You will be on Thursday if the predictions are right .
I may postpone my shopping until Friday when it is supposed to be a bit cooler.
I see you in the pool with Tilly in that bikini...lol

Hello Al, hope you are not too snowed in . It will be Spring before you know it.
Already the year is on a fast track. Nearly done with January...

Hello everyone else looking in.

I am off outside to enjoy the cool and do a bit more watering.

Hers a nice nibble for morning tea...Lemon Cake with Lemon Icing..

Take care and stay safe.

Jean.

We have Vista on ours and it was so hard trying to figure everything out in the beginning.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9386417

Oh lemon cake yummy !

The big heat is on it's way (again ) so have fun Eileen, great idea to have fun inside.

Thankyou for the chilli link moon, I could not see the Hungarian Black in there, it is supposed to be rare (heirloom).
I can't eat big burn chilli, but I like a touch of it in many dishes and make my own sweet chilli sauce quite often, it tastes so much better than the ones in the Supermarket.

I hope everyone is surviving the weather in all of it's forms hot or cold (or somewhere in between).
Roll on Autumn ...can't wait !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9386443

Good to see all the green stuff you folks are posting. Your plants look great! Everything here is either brown or gray, with touches of white when it snows. Weather has been warmer, a not too unusual "January Thaw".

Al

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 15, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9386604

Lots of creative opportunities for you there, Elaine...
I
bought a perennial Chilli at the garden club last year, it's just getting flowers now, so I'll post them asap.
I have no idea what it produces, just growing instructions..lol

I only ever grow capsicums...or the little ornamental ones which are great in relishes.
Glad that the weather has been a bit kinder to you, Al...you'll soon be planting again...

Sorry about your ' Dr Merrill' moon, it's such a lovely thing, mine is really putting on growth now after taking a couple of years to settle in, it didn't like being dug up...

Preparing for the heat...no bikinis here Jean...Tilly goes au natural...
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 16, 2013
1:50 AM

Post #9386753

nice bit of rain here yesterday, warmed up today, good for the lawn... & the weeds.
Roses have been summer pruned so they should be ok if it gets humid, plenty of airflow & hopefully they will repay me with autumn flushes.
Sugar was a demon tonight, grabbed my jandals so took those back put them away & she grabbed my tiny 'good' handbag, took that off her, she tried for hubby's glasses - I headed her off there but she grabbed his shoe instead, he started playing with her & she went nuts, grabbed my big - everything plus the kitchen sink handbag & ran about with that.
The blasted handbag weighs a ton, hubby always asks if I have bricks in it & she acted like it was feather weight.
Finally put her outside, it's time for bed & I done nothing except deal with her.
And when I was busy dealing with the weasel, Copper managed to get the kitchen door open & tried to sneak in there.
It's not usually so manic, there must be something in the air tonight...
hmmm does anyone else think that would make a great song title ;)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9386938

Good Morning...Gee Teresa...it might work...GRIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skbmxt2y6lA

Dianne, the D Merrill may yet have a chance to shine...still see quite a few buds on it. Weather man says the rain should clear out today...14 inches (35.5cm) over 10 days.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9386993

Moon, I know where that rain is coming right here. Love it. Been raining all night. Farrier called and we are changing the Long ears appointment. Maybe threes a charm. Now we are supposed to get them done Friday...
Wait and see.
Hope everyone has a great day...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9387071

Fingers crossed for you Charleen...it hung around here for 10 days...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 16, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9387327

Good morning everyone. Its already getting warm this morning.
supposed to be around 40C today. I am off shopping while hubby will be at the CFA HQ all day . It is a bad day for fires to start. We have had a few in the area but not close to us, thank goodness.
Mostly grass fires . There is so much long grass around , especially along the road edges where it is about 3-4 foot high in places.

I will just say hello and leave something nice in the kitchen for anyone popping in for a cuppa.
... Enjoy this Lemon Tart...

Stay safe and I hope the weather is kind to you all.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 16, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9387406

Yes it will be bad today ...be safe and stay cool everyone !

Bring on an early cool change lets hope, we are wetting everything down here.
Try to have a good day.

chrissy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9387527

Wishing you all a quick return to cooler weather and a nice soaking shower over the night. Be safe
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

January 16, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9387631

Hello everyone..it's hot here..and humid..Happy New Year!!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 17, 2013
12:51 AM

Post #9387842

been wet here, my workmate drove me home as I didn't wear a coat, forecast was for it to clear so just took my brolley.
Just before closing time it bucketed down & she didn't think it was a good idea for me to have to catch 2 buses to get home.

Lol - Moon, Sugar really is the instigator...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 17, 2013
3:49 AM

Post #9387871

It is so hot here tonight, far hotter than it was during the day...

Cute pic Charleen, they all look so well behaved..lol
Hi Kat, how are things with you... and fenceman...

Have a good weekend everyone.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9387966

Singing Good Day Sunshine here...the sun is up...the sky is pink and it is cold outside...oh, did I mention we have SUNSHINE? GRIN

Hi Kat...hope all is well with you.

Teresa, I think Copper whispers ideas to Sugar and she is too young to "think them through"...we had an older dog and a young pup many years ago...the old dog would walk over to the fence, scratch and sniff around until the pup got interested and would start digging, then Jasper would trot to the door and bark...what a tattletale he was. GRIN But, Abby fell for it every time.
I watched Jasper sneaking a shoe and when he heard me in the other room, he dropped it in front of Abby and scurried across the room like Mr Innocent...Abby picked up the shoe and Jasper ran in the kitchen to "tell"...Abby brought me the shoe and I could almost hear Jasper saying "Nanny nanny boo boo, she caught you" Silly old dog...I do so miss them both.

Jean, hope you had a nice shopping day.

Chrissy, fingers crossed some of Teresa's rain will move your way. Be safe.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 17, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9388368

Good morning everyone.Its beautiful outside now. Quite cool after yesterdays 41C with that awful hot wind.
There are fires all over the place but none close to us here. Many deliberately lit.
As I have said before, there is only one way to treat arsonists.

Hubby was very tired last night after a day manning radios at the HQ.
We are off to Hamilton today as he has a few things he wants to pick up and just needs a bit of a break .
He does a weather update 3-4 times a day via the radio to others on the network. They gather local info and relay it to the weather bureau during the summer.

Dianne, glad you missed some of the highest heat there. I guess the bikini was brought out for the day.

Moon, sunshine ??? I can send you some...lol
I hope you are enjoying it as I know it can get very cold there.
You may be right with Teresas two mischief makers. They can be just like children.
I have seen dogs doing exactly as you described. Cant they get that innocent look so well ?

Al, maybe I could send you a bit of sun ?
I dont want any snow in exchange though. Really , what we are getting here is a normal summer as I remember from my childhood when the tar on the road used to melt .
I vividly remember us kids getting an egg and cooking it on the footpath.
Just to see if what the parents had said was true.. It was...lol

Better move as i want to throw a bit of water on a few pots.

Hello to everyone looking in. I hope your weather is kind to you .

Heres something yummy for morning tea...Orange Date Muffins.

Keep cool or warm and stay safe.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9388483

You all know the one with the Worst disposition? That cute little white dog. He can be the oneriest little punk, you ever saw...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 17, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9388557

THE RAINS ARE HERE !!!!!!!!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9388574

And the Rains Came!!!! Hurrah Anthony! I know your liliums are almost as happy as you are.Grin

Yes Jean, they can be absolute rascals...what was funniest about these two, was the old dog was a small poodle mix and the young one was a G Shepherd/Border Collie mix...so funny to see the old scamp outfox the big one.

Fingers crossed for rain for you all...

Be safe
Moon

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9388648

Send some here Anthony ...burning up here ! ...44C and rising

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9388794

46C ...argh !
bye everyone ...it's too hot !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9389007

Whew! Chrissy...hope that rain gets to you soon. Be safe and stay cool.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 18, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9389340

Good morning everyone.
A beautiful morning again after a lovely mild day yesterday. There were even a few spots of rain .
The parts of the garden I am watering ( pots & shadehouses ) are all still looking good . Nice & fresh and green.
The main garden is toast. Daylilies , shrubs etc will all green back up come Autumn .

Chrissy, sorry to hear you are having such heat and losing plants. Its part of gardening in this country isnt it ?
Hopefully . much will recover as the seasons turn.

Teresa, nice that you had some rain there . How is little miss Mischief doing ?
I bet Copper has been telling her tales of his early puppy antics.

Moon, it always seems to be the small dogs that are the gamest at doing things. It must be that they think they have to make up for small size...lol
We had large dogs many years ago ans even the cats had them bluffed.

Al, I see lots of snow on the news from over there. Hope you are not under too much in your area.
Makes our heat seem odd when looking at all that cold stuff.

Charleen, Charley doesnt like the new cookies I gave him, but TBo does...lol
I will have to make hay flavored ones for Charley.
Keep warm there, You must be waiting on Spring .

Dianne, how are you doing down there ?
I see that you were slightly cooler than the city.
Hope Mick is faring well in the heat. He wouldnt fit in Tillys pool.

Anthony, you have RAIN ????
great for you & the garden after the heat. Helpful for all the firemen too. I hope the fires are all out or under control now.
Most of the news here is on the NSW & east Vic fires at the moment.

I hope you are all safe and well. I am off outside to enjoy the cool and water the plants.
There is a small wallaby out in the garden somewhere. Hubby saw him this morning when feeding the maggies.
We often get them and they are so much quieter than the kangaroos. They usually find a corner and sit quietly while I move around the garden.

Heres a tasty treat for morning tea...Streusel Coffee Cake..

Stay safe and enjoy the weekend.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9389453

We ended the day with 46.7C ...then big hot wind and warm rain, followed by a storm later in the evening that changed the temps by almost 20C.
I had more damage from flying missiles than the toasted stuff (as usual). Some Brug pots were knocked over by falling branches that traveled in from the Gum trees next door, I love gum trees, but they are too dangerous near homes or roads, branches rain down and they explode in fires.
No bees or 28 spotted Ladybirds this morning, not even a blowie or mozzie yet.
Hopefully the weather will ease up now.

For you Gardeners across the pond, commiserations on the snow ...we are halfway to a happier season in both parts of the World.
Have a great weekend everyone!

chrissy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9389623

Jean, Charley will eat ANY cookie you give him. He has been known to eat Corn chips, potatoe chips, tortilla chips, Bread, Biscuits, Crackers, he just doesn't care and if those poor little donkeys come up he will lay those ears back and start kicking. Charley is very selfish...
Tbo, I just took this this afternoon. My baby is growing still. 6 mo. old
Squirrel smelling daisy
Little lizard mosaic a girl got me.
Hedgehog baby...
Have a great day, everyone...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 18, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9389707

the rain was needed but it dropped the temperatures right down, a high of 14C is not very nice in summer.
Today is fine & around 27C, did two loads of washing then took Sugar for a walk.
We went to the park first to blow off some steam.
She met a cute Bichon that chased her barking & snapping at her heels... Sugar slowed down so the little one could almost catch her & then she would zoom away, run a few laps & go back to be chased again.

I let Sugar head toward the creek, figured she would dry by the time we made it home, she never made it to the water, instead she found a dead fish on the bank & ran off with it.
She was very good about stopping & letting me take the fish away, it stunk!
Must have been a good 12 inches - and that was without the head,
Someone had gutted it & removed the head & then left the fish there.
Very strange.
Sugar had a bit more play time & then found herself another fish, same size & condition as the first.
I don't think she liked the taste as she dropped it & was happy to head away with me.
We did a longer walk than usual, with washing on the line I wanted madam worn out & happy to nap until the washing dried.
I need to go dig up some plants for my SIL, we are going over this afternoon for a bbq & it's the perfect chance to get this done.
Cheers everyone, hope you all get the weather you want :)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 19, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9390283

Good morning everyone.
Another beautiful cool & cloudy morning. The heat is slowly returning each day, but not until about 11am so far.
I potted up all the rest of my bromeliad pups yesterday and now they all look so nice and colorful in the shadehouse.
I am glad I moved most of the brugs the other day as the new space is so much better for them in the heat. Lots of shade and right next to a tap, so easy to water anytime.
I was looking at the iris garden too. It is full of dead, dry weeds and will have to wait for the Autumn rain for me to get at them.

Charleen, one just wants to hug that TBo. What a face...so sweet.
I do like your little squirrel with his flower.
Clever lady .

Bad luck with all the heat damage, Chrissy. Your plants will be looking forward to Autumn and the cooler weather.
Stay cool.

Teresa, nice to see you did get some rain even if it did get a bit cold.
Sounds like Sugar is good at finding things. Fancy people leaving smelly fish around like that.
Sugar must have thought it was a toy. I bet it tasted awful to her, no wonder she didnt want the next one.
Hope you enjoy your day out.

Hello Moon, Al, Dianne and Anthony.
Hope all is well with all of you.
Anthony, how are your bulbs going ? Much better after the rain , I hope.

Better go and fill all the swimming pools for the birds, as I see the sun stating to burn off the clouds now.

Heres you morning tea nibbles...Chocolate Truffles..

Enjoy the day and stay safe,

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 19, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9390345

another nice day here, yesterday we got to 32C according to the car. Missed the news so don't know what it was officially.

Jean - I was so glad Sugar isn't like my Chita, she loved to roll in smelly things...
She came back from the Kaiapoi river bank covered in pink goo that smelled worse than anything I have ever known.
It took several shampoos to get the reek off her coat.
Much to her disgust I might add.
It was bad enough when she rolled in horse manure but that at least is a horsey smell & I like horses ;)
So far Sugar has shown no inclination to roll in foul smelling things.

Keep thinking what a waste those fish were.
IF they weren't going to be eaten then they should have been released.

We are supposed to get to 24C today, sun is shining but a cool breeze is blowing.
I am going to dog training for a stewarding seminar, they need experienced people to help out & you never know I might just learn a few thing too.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 20, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9391439

Good morning everyone.
Its quiet in here but I know you are all out in your gardens preparing for more heat.
I have just been watering all the brugs again. I am finding that anything in pots is okay as long as they are kept damp.
I have some reptting to do this morning . I dont like to repot in hot weather, but these plants are needing the extra room now so they can get more moisture around the roots.
I am not even going into the other side of the paddock garden as there is nothing I can do there , but let the trees and shrubs survive on their own until it rains.
They have done okay for over 10 years .

I hope everyone is okay if in hot areas and I know that Charleen, Moon and Al are all looking forward to Spring.

Keep cool (or warm) and stay safe.

Here a treat for anyone popping in for morning tea...Raisin Ring Cake...

If none of you are able to pop in then I an sure Charley mule will clean up the scraps.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9391837

Good Morning

I am scurrying around trying to get as much of the garden ready for spring as possible, along with Spring house cleaning. My DD, SIL and grandsons are coming stateside from Brisbane at the end of March. I am absolutely over the moon...and only want to spend as much time cleaning/working as I have to. GRIN

Hope you all have a cool day and hope there are a few showers falling for you soon.

Moon
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 20, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9391842

Hello all, Im still cleaning up from the lily show,breeding seeds and sorting pots and pollen[+ working and having a quiet beer at the end of the day],.Some ''unbelievable ''american seedlings blooming now,.,and great orientals in bloom,.Sowing new seeds[no room] and cleaning weeds from existing seedling boxes-@feeding,.,.,-Anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9391844

Totally beautiful Anthony! Good show.

Al
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 21, 2013
12:13 AM

Post #9391993

wow - stunning lily there Anthony!

I have some late bloomers close to opening, suspect they may be tiger lilies...
despite the fact that I pulled them out last year!
Obviously didn't get the lot.

Also have some very fat seed pods on the lilies that I cross pollinated.
I think playing with the pollen was the easy part...
figuring out how to look after the pods & then germinate the seeds will be a whole new challenge.

Another sunny day here, I took a salad for lunch & used the first two cherry tomatoes from my garden.
They came from the top part that snapped off & I put into the grow bag & treated like a cutting.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9392216

That is one gorgeous lily Anthony. How did the show go?

Moon
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9392231

Oh Wow! - You folks are eating fresh tomatoes? Haven't seen one for months. Our store boughts are as hard and tasteless as a baseball. I'm rereading my seed catalogs right now getting ready for Spring.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 21, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9392567

Good morning everyone.
I am getting used to these quite cool mornings followed by a very hot day then cool evenings.
I spent most of yesterday repotting all my zygos. Lots of rooted cuttings that were outgrowing the little pots and some bigger ones needing more room.
I had a lovely show last year with so many more flowers than I ever had. Same with the epis.
I think both like a rest year between the really good years. I dont blame them as it must use a lot of energy to put out so many flowers.
I still have a few to go so will finish them off them do some trimming around the paths. My irises are full of weeds but mostly dry now. I pulled a lot of the clover etc away from the rhizomes so the sun can get at them. Isnt it odd that they like to be in the hot summer sun.
I dont water them at all. They survive very well on just the rain. ( when it rains )

Al, my tomatoes came to nothing here. I still have a couple in the garden but the growbags were useless here. I think because they got too much sun or the particular tomatoes ddint like the bags. I wont be using them again.
It also could be our water which seems to affect so many plants.
Its full of calcium and who knows what else.

Anthony, thats a beautiful lilium. I hope you won all the prizes.
How did Molly go this time ?

Moon, you are going to be even more excited as time gets closer for the visit.
I can see a couple of grandsons being hugged to pieces.

Teresa, you have been a busy bee in your garden. Hope the lilies turn out to be so pretty when they grow.
We had a dog once that liked tomatoes .
This was years ago when I and my then partner used to go tomato picking . Our dog would inspect the rows for any low down that he could reach.
I hope Miss Sugar doesnt develop a liking for them.

Charleen, how are things going over your way ?
What weather are you getting now ?
I see Charley and TBo seem to be mates now as they both turn up for cookies.
You should do one of your lovely ornaments with them both together.

Hello Dianne, look out for the heat coming back around Thursday.
Hope your plants are surviving okay.
My brugs are looking good here considering the weather. May be the new fertliser mix giving them energy.

Hello to anyone else popping in or peering through the window.

I will put out something nice for morning tea...Chocolate Cheesecake

Stay safe and enjoy your gardens
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9392577

May have to give it a try. Ornament of Charley and TBo...Planted some Brug cuttings today. Experimenting to see if they will make roots better or not...
Weather has been beautiful and cold but not totally uncomfortable. 54* here today and Sunny. He had lots of Rain last week, so that was great...
Hubby got some English peas he wants to plant, also some onion bulbs. I think he is ready for spring...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 21, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9392661

Just been looking at the Garden Showcase, terrific idea...

Moon, how lovely for you...it will be Spring there, so it will be a visual treat for the family too.

Well, I've finished bottling those peaches and a couple of doors up from Pete, on a vacant lot, there are 2 large nectarine trees that are dripping nectarines..every year they fruit magnificently, but the local kids don't touch them...there's something seriously wrong with the kids these days..no nicking fruit from neighbour's trees and this fruit is just sitting there...
I always end up taking a lot of it to the local care facility...
The land of plenty is now the land of lets go to the supermarket and buy fruit that someone else had to pick...

My apple cucumbers are ready and my big peppers are starting to go red, the tomatoes are loaded, sorry Jean, but they are resisting turning red, for a while.

Anthony, that Lilium is gorgeous...tell us what happened at the show..
Here's a pic of some of the best little Donut peaches around...

Pleasant weather for everyone I hope...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 21, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9392832

Some things are rewarding the efforts, gardeners put in at this time of the year.

This is what I love to do with the harvest :

http://wheathoneywatermilk.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/vegetable-antipasto.html
YUM.

Moon I am excited for you, how wonderful !

Charleen good luck with your Brug cuttings, home grown, peas and onions ...can't beat them.

Anthony we crown you King of the Lily :-) Congrats on your success.

Those donut peaches look yummy ...yes I feel sorry for the young ones who may never know a home grown veggie or fruit,
backyards are disappearing sadly ...in another couple of generations maybe our farmers will be gone too, they can't compete with cheap imports.
I am so grateful to be able to grow stuff, not everyone can.

Al I feel for you ...we are very lucky here, we never have to go without tomatoes, I live in a tomato/strawberry/market garden area. I like my own best though. Hurry up spring huh ?

Sorry your tomatoes failed Jean, that must be a disappointment, if I were you, I would try growing them in Polystyrene Boxes.

Another hot one today ...have a great day everyone looking in.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 21, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9392936

Tried that Chrissy. I think its the water here that a lot of plants dont like. I used to grow tomatoes years ago when we had a different water supply. No problems then.
My azaleas & gardenias are thriving now that I never put any town water on them. Its rain water only for them all.
I would love to have lots of huge rain water tanks for all the garden, but an impossible dream.
Never mind, if a plant grows here it will grow anywhere, and lots of plants dont mind the awful water. My broms & bruggies dont mind it.
Better go finish up on the zygos. They are all in fresh mix , so just need putting up on the shelves and watering.

Love your peaches Dianne.
We have a lot of nectarine trees here. They keep self seeding so I let them grow. More for me & the birds.
I do have a peach tree which hubby had planted before I arrived.
It does better now that I prune it each year, but the birds also like the peaches and plums.

Hope you are all enjoying some nice weather. Its warm here but lots of cloud and not too bad at all.
Jean.
Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

January 21, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9392947

A belated Happy 2013 to all!
Will try to get back here tomorrow...just reading all posts to keep updated.
Keep smiling
Anna
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 22, 2013
1:21 AM

Post #9393280

Copper managed to steal all the low growing plums, they are still green but he likes them that way.
I should manage to get a few once they ripen, the birds will feast on the higher ones.
Once the ripe ones fall Copper will hoover them up, I wonder what Sugar will make of it, food falling from the tree all of a sudden.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 22, 2013
1:54 AM

Post #9393289

Al- Im sitting here eating 1st grade , Styx river cherries...silly as it sounds, 'they help me to sleep'... Need to buy a 6 pak of toilet rolls with every 5 kilo box though!!!!-Anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9393470

Cherries are good for relieving Gout also...but I wouldn't recommend 5 kilos...GRIN

The native sweet orange and the blood orange are ripe and ready here. We are getting our Vitamin C for sure.

Good Morning

Hope you all have a grand day
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9393480

They look good, Anthony! Maybe we could get Jean to make us a cobbler... perhaps topped with vanilla ice cream.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9393849

You know why those kids don't want those beautiful peaches??? They are not electronic enough for them..Takes work to go pick peaches. Then they wonder why gets are getting overweight. Take away the gadgets and make them work...
Durn, fell off my soap box!!!!
Sounds like you all are having fall. The fruits are all beautiful...
My little begonia is blooming and I couldn't figure out what was growing in there with it.
The dag gum squirrels had planted a pecan nut in there...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 22, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9393867

Good morning everyone. A lovely cool morning and the sun is out in a clear sky. Yesterday was warm in the sun but a very nice breeze kept the temps down to a comfortable level.
I finished my repotting of all the zygos and now have a tidy zygo house.
Mrs Blackbird cannot get at the labels or dig in the pots as she does not like getting up on the shelves.
She ( and all her friends ) do love to jump in any pots on the ground and dig for grubs etc. I have to push all labels right down in the pots and I have covered all the brug pots with plastic mesh.
I did try bracken branches but they just tossed them aside. The mesh stops them.
I can hear lots of bird mumbles about mean plant owners as I walk through the garden...lol

Hello Al, I heard you smacking your lips at Anthonys cherries . I love them too, but there would never be enough to cook with, if I was near them...yum.
They are a bit like grapes. I pick up the bag then when I put it down, its empty...

Moon, I always look for oranges from USA in our shops. I know I should buy local but I find the navel oranges from over there are superior to the local ones. ( in my area anyway )
I only like navels and I guess anything good here goes overseas. .The shops seem to be left with the second rate stuff.

Teresa, if your Copper was here, he would have a ball. Our blood plum tree gets so loaded that any wind knocks half of them off . The ground is covered in green plums. There are also lots of low hanging ones that he would have to fight Mrs Blackbird for.

Charleen, now you have pecan tree. I'm glad we dont have squirrels here , although they are cute to look at. They would make a mess of my plants I am sure.
You are so right about most of todays young people.
Where do they think all our food comes from ?
It doesnt grow in tins & packets..

Hello Anna, nice to see you popping back in.

Hello to everyone else. I hope all is well with you all.
I ma off outside to enjoy the sun.

Here a yummy treat, but get in before Al, or there will be none left...lol

Cherry Cobbler...

Happy gardening and stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9394055

Looks like there's 'nuff for everybody to dig into - sure smells good from here! Thanks Jean.

Al

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 22, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9394225

I'll have some of that cobbler Jean, it looks delicious...good suggestion Al...

How cute, the little Pecan..Charleen...I would have loved to see the squirrel planting it..

Hi again Anna...what are you up to..

Dianne..
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9394287

Here's another pic of my little squirrel friend. Sometimes a nuisanse, he is kind of fun to watch. Such an acrobatic soul, he can tip the bird feeder completely upside down to empty it out. We finally had to set out a special peanut bowl to keep him from pestering the birds. He will do a tightrope walk across the electric wires for a a whole city block just to get here. The cold winter and icy wires don't seem to slow him down much, either.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 22, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9394327

Love the pic, Al.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9394570

New place to stand for the longears. They are standing by the well house and in front of cedars..
then yesterday I had a bunch of male cardinals wanting something to eat.
Yes, Al, they are so cute but you still want to wring their little necks with their mischief... think of how boring it would be without our critters.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9394643

We're into the "deep freeze" dipping below 0 F. for the next couple weeks, supercold for awhile. Winds off the lake are treacherous, snow drifting across highways can be dangerous. We just stay close to home for a few days. Okay - time to check the catalogs and review my seed orders.

Ellen has something in the oven downstairs in the warm kitchen, smells good.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 23, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9394999

Good morning everyone. the sun is shining in the window and its very pleasant outside at the moment.
The forecast is for strong winds and up to 40C. Hubby will be down at the CFA HQ again to monitor anything that happens during the day.
I had a mad spell yesterday and cleared all the leaves from the paths around the house.
The paths do get swept but the leaves and soil gather along the edges and hide under the overhanging plants.
I used the rake to move most then the shovel. Now I can see all the bricks, looks very tidy again for a while.
Gum trees are the worst for dropping leaves and small twigs all year round and even more than usual in the hot dry weather.
I even cleared off the tops of the shadehouses. Its not so dark in them now that heaps of leaves are gone.
One would think that with all the wind we have here, the leaves would get blown away, but they hang on with their sharp fingernails.

Hello Al. Hubby mentioned that there is going to be a cold snap over your way. I hope people are sensible and stay safe. It must be a real worry to be on the roads in that sort of weather.
Take care and stay in that warm kitchen with Ellen.

Charleen, those birds are so pretty. I see Charley is looking very cheeky. I bet he's planning to visit and beg cookies again.

Moon, hope you are not getting any bad weather either. You will be counting the days to a lovely Spring.

Anthony, I hope the heat leaves Tassie alone this time. Love your lilium pics ,so lovely.
How is Cocky going ?

Dianne, keep cool inside today. I hope you dont get too much heat there. You will wear out the teeny weeny bikini by Autumn.

Hello to all looking in. Pop in for a chat and a cuppa.

Sorry Al, the cherry cobbler has all disappeared ...I think I saw Dianne running out with a bowl...lol

Here's something else to nibble for morning tea...Lemon Tart.

Stay safe everyone whether you get the heat or cold.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 23, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9395086

Good morning to every one have not been in my PC has had the Russian Virus tryed to tell me I was blocked by the Federal Police if I did not pay the fee in 72 hrs criminal case would be against me B--S ---no way the police would warn they would raid and take the PC quick smart.
My comp. doctor told me he had 3 in this past week he had to reconfiger every thing its a bad one I had 3 serurity systems and still it got in to do its damage. thank heaven I did not have any recods or details they could use.. elaine.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 24, 2013
1:55 AM

Post #9395608

cool day today, the rain didn't eventuate & we are in for heat the next few days so I'll have to give my garden a soak before work tomorrow morning.
Got home tonight to discover my tiger lily is not quite what I expected...
I did wonder when I noticed the buds were shorter & fatter than the ones on the Tigers down the road.

I'm glad my mission to eradicate these last year was a failure!

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 24, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9396261

Good morning everyone.
Beautiful here at the moment. The breeze is very welcome as it stayed quite warm during the night.
We are off to Hamilton today because I need some orchid mix for my broms and hubby needs a few things.
No rain likely here but the sky is very overcast.

Teresa, your tigers are very beautiful. Mine are all singles and very small this year due to lack of water. They still survive though. Hardy little devils.

Hello Elaine, bad luck about the virus. They are always sneaking around.

Hello Dianne, Al, Moon and Charleen.
I hope the day is kind to you all.

I will leave a nice treat in the kitchen for anyone coming in for a cuppa...Chocolate Cream Cake...

Happy day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 24, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9396847

Went to see 'Django Unchained'...it was just like a 70's spaghetti western music and all...
Love Leonardo Di Caprio, he gets the really juicy rolls and he plays the character very well.

Jean, I did not take the cobbler, it was moon...lol

Elaine, those scammers certainly have vivid imaginations...could you imagine our federal police concerning themselves over something as trivial as that...
Maybe where they come from, the thought of federal police makes people pay up...

Enjoy Australia Day everyone, Geelong has a huge yacht race, it's an amazing sight when they have those spinnakers up...
Dianne...

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 25, 2013
2:25 AM

Post #9396885

Every one have a great Australia Day .

On a sad note any one thate knew our freind Lee he passed away this week ..

Just been out with the lights on to water the gardens I have a lot of burned plants from the hot winds ..
Leonardo is very gifted have loved all he has been in..
Ths is a old pic of my flag above the roof.
elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9397003

Wishing you all a Happy Australia Day. Be safe and have a lovely day.

Cobbler? what cobbler? GRIN

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9397129

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY FRIENDS!

AL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9397197

Happy Australia day, my Friends...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 25, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9397381

Good morning everyone. Happy Australia Day.

Its a lovely morning and not going to be too hot today, After we came home from Hamilton yesterday, I potted up all my new broms and set them all in the greenhouse.
It does look very nice in there now with so many colors.

The garden is looking very dry in the larger areas but will green up when it rains. I have left it all to itself now. I just trim a branch here and there if needed.
Self seeding plants will soon take over again and make a green carpet under the trees.

There was a fire just on the edge of the town yesterday afternoon. Nothing threatening to houses and about a mile away from us. We could see the smoke from our hill. About 5 fire trucks arrived, so it was contained very quickly.

Hello Dianne, Elaine, Anthony and Chrissy.
I hope you all enjoy the hoilday weekend and get out and about.

Hello Al, Moon and Charleen.
Take care over there and have a cuppa in the Tea Room with some Aussie cakes.

Teresa, hope you can get in for a cake too.
You are the closest so you may get there before Moon.

I know Moon is waiting for these...yummy Aussie Lamingtons.

have great day and stay safe.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 25, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9397490

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY Everyone

Have a beaut day !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMuf8wE52k

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9397520

Thanks Jean...grin the Lamingtons are safe... I am more a fruit and crust kinda girl...and brownies. Grin

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 25, 2013
10:33 PM

Post #9397834

Happy Australian Day!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 26, 2013
1:33 AM

Post #9397864

Roast Lamb, after 2 years[too dear]+ spuds/pumpkin/gravy.,.Must be Australia Day...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9397931

It was a great Australia Day !

Hope everyone enjoyed it :-)

waving to our friends over the pond !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9397970

I just saw Charley out there with some white powdered sugar all over his whiskers. I know he must have found the cakes...
Made some Morning Glory ornaments and got a pic of Charley. Coarse TBo is so easy to get pictures of. This is blue Jay tail feather hubby found and brought in for me.
I have a pair of hawks i want to get a picture of roaming around in The long ears pasture...

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9398029

That looks like great fun, Chrissy! Tap me off another beer, please Anthony. Hope everyone made it back home alive. Sort of like our July 4th Independence Day here.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9398046

I agree Al. Australia Day seems to have the same flavor as Independence Day here.

Hope you all had a lovely celebration and the fires showed the proper respect. The pups are adorable Chrissy, but the beach looked to be standing room only...grin

Anthony, I know you enjoyed your feast...shame when favorite foods get to dear to eat. Glad you treated yourself.

The MG ornaments turned out well, Charleen. Maybe Charley is the one who finished the cobbler...grin

Enjoy your long weekend

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9398309

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining in the window so going to get warmer today.

Anthony, glad to see you enjoyed your roast lamb. I'm like you in finding it way too dear to eat on a regular basis. Its a shame to see such nice meat out of the reach of many of us when it was considered a part of the weekly menu for so long.
Remember when families all sat down to the Sunday roast lamb dinner.
I still recall when steak was a luxury, now we eat more of it than anything else.

Moon, Charley would never nick any food from the kitchen...unless he knew I wasnt there watching ...lol

Charleen, your morning glory flowers are so pretty. You are getting very good at all those ornaments.
Give Charley a pat and tell him I know hes just an innocent party.
It was Moon all the time who nicked the last of the cherry cobbler.
Hope you can get a pic of your hawks. I love the raptors. We often see eagles circling around here .
They are such beautiful birds to watch.

Teresa, how are things over your way ? Is the young Miss behaving herself ?
Hope you are getting any repairs finished up quickly.
Its certainly been a while, but thats insurance companies for you.

Chrissy, great pics. I watch on the news but we dont go out anywhere . I would rather just enjoy a quiet Australia Day at home.

Hello Al, how are you doing in the snow there ?
I hope the weather is being kind to you.
Have you worked out all the garden plans for Spring ?

Dianne, where did you disappear to?
I hope you didnt wear the teeny weeny bikini to the beach for the Aust. Day celebration .
Give Tilly a pat for me and hug a brug too.

Better move myself and see what needs doing outside. I have been going to trim along all the paths where the plants overhang, but I keep seeing other things and get sidetracked.

Heres your morning tea treat ...Black Forest Gateau..

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9398382

Oh Crikey , no I don't go into Sydney any more, I borrowed these pics from a tourism site. Can't do crowds any more,or burning Sun and standing in long lines waiting for a visit to the loo.
Glad you enjoyed the pics, I do love watching everything on the tv though.

Moon and friends across the pond, Australia Day is just really a Celebration of Australia.It isn't like your Independence Day because we are still a Monarchy here. It's just one big Party to Salute our Country and what it means to be an Aussie. A bit more like the way you Celebrate Thanksgiving probably. A day to be Grateful.

http://www.australiaday.org.au/australia-day/history.aspx

I hope everyone enjoyed their day !
off to the garden now ...it rained whoo hoo -we needed it.

Hope all of our friends up North are ok ...you certainly are copping it big time !
Have a good one !
chrissy
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 26, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9398523

Glad to hear that Australia Day went well, It's the right time of year for beach & bbq!
Lamb is a bit pricey here in NZ too - my favourite is hogget - more flavour than lamb.
We try not to pay more than $14.99 a kg for our meat but you can't get steak for less than $19.99 - decent steak that is.
We love the t bone at that price.
Used to love doing lamb shanks in the slow cooker but they became trendy & you just can't get them cheap now.

Been a lovely day here - sunny but not too hot, about 22C.
Went out to dog training with Sugar & she was good girl so we took her to the dog park for a good run afterwards & now she is flat out sleeping :)

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9398664

Since it's my turn to cook, I'm making a big winter stew today mostly to rid the root cellar of leftover carrots, onions, potatoes, a parsnip, one lone beet, and a bag of frozen tomatoes. Maybe some corn and beans too if I can find them. All going into the slow cooker with a couple of braized beef ribs and broth for a long simmer in the stew pot. Just a touch of seasoning salt and basil to top it off. Might add a little macaroni later if it's not stiff enough. Smells good already - I've got 5 hours to go.

Al

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 26, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9398683

Teresa, I just discovered the meaning of hogget...I had no idea what sort of lamb it was...good old Wiki...
I sort of knew it was a type of sheep cut, but the HOG part of the word made me think of piggy...
Since we have had Aldi in our shopping centre, the price of a leg of lamb is always $8.99 per kg...Jean check out your Aldi...now the local Woolworths drops it's price quite a bit too...

Went to Bunnings this morning and they were giving Aussie flags to all the kids over this weekend...a nice touch I thought..
All the little kids who had trolleys, had the flags on their trolley...and of course they had the usual sausage sizzle which Ray can never go past...
The "Festival of Sail" is in full swing now and there are yachts everywhere on the bay and the ocean as well...I like looking at them but the ferry is more my speed...

I didn't disappear, Jean...I was painting those old chairs that I found with Decking oil, I had some left over, so it will protect them...
They are so small and yet they are not children's chairs...
Love your new Brug enclosure.

Moon, you know that it wasn't Charley...lol

Al, I can smell what you're cooking from here and my taste buds are tingling, enjoy.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone...
Dianne..

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 2:50 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 27, 2013

Post #9398792

By Gee Al..that does sound good..and although Im full as a goog,I reckon I could go a small bowl,...If I was in close proximity and maybe bring you a fresh 'Roma or 2' as a contribution-!!..I cant get over the flavour in that shank I ate last night!!-Dianne, I got my lamb at woolies,$10 off..17 bucks for a big fat leg isnt bad- otherwise, I just go without-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 27, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9399228

Good morning everyone.
Its quite cool here this morning. Yesterday was warm but not over hot. We managed to get rid of an old shrub that had grown too large and eventually died. Hubby got the large branches out then I jumped on all the rest to flatten then for moving out of the way. It was easy because the whole plant was dry and snapped easily.
Now I need a new plant to fill the space. Maybe a photinia as they are very hardy and do look nice when kept at a reasonable height.
There is a lovely polygala next to the empty space, so maybe another of those.

Anthony, your lamb leg was a great bargain. We eat more steak now than I would ever have imagined considering it was a luxury many years ago. I can buy lovely oyster blade or porterhouse steak for only $5 or $6 a piece in our Woolies.
The average leg of lamb would be around $25 or more.

Dianne, your small chairs sound like dolls chairs. I dont mean for a dolls house or just any doll . They were used years ago for showing off a prized display doll .
Maybe Tilly will sit on one in the garden.

Al, I didnt get to taste any of your cooking. The pot was empty when I looked.
I bet Dianne beat me to it...lol
Hubby doesnt cook here. I wouldnt let him. He has different ideas on how things should be done . He does the dishes ( and likes doing them )

Moon, I know you didnt really eat everything in the kitchen. It was definitely Charley. I found a hoof print near the door.
Hope your weather is improving. Its only a few more weeks until Spring for you.

Teresa, how is your weather going there ? You will be seeing snow on the mountains soon .
I like T bone too but it always seems to be double the price of other steak.
Most of the money you pay for it is wasted on the large bone.
I used to love shanks too, but as you say, they are now trendy, so have become expensive. Once you would get them for practically nothing along with lamb flaps, which are also tasty when rolled & seasoned. Alas all those tasty treats are too dear now. Who would have guessed all those years ago.
Pat the spotty ones for me.

Charleen, you also will be looking forward to Spring.
I have seen some pictures of your state in Spring. Its beautiful.
Charley is not getting cookies today. TBo came over and ate them.

Hello to everyone else looking in.

I am going to do a bit of watering as its nice and cool .
I finally got to trim along all the paths yesterday so today will be a lazy day.

Heres something yummy for morning tea. ...Orange & Date Muffins..

Stay safe and I hope our Qld friends are all safe and dry .

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

January 27, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9399503

Hope everyone is dry and safe..bad weather coming your way, Chrissy. Just feel like we've been through a big industrial washing machine..violent squalls and wind all night. Don't remember it being this bad in previous cyclones..had a huge old leopard tree fall over..luckily it fell on the palms and roof over kitchen. Haven't been able to check damage..no internet or phone so am down at hubby's practice building using internet there. Still have 3/4G and iPhone..different telco!..and I was complaining that he changed it just recently as the other group had everything prior to that. Don't know how to post pics here from iPhone..and haven't uploaded them to PC.. Fenceman will be happy..he is away..I bet he starts asking us to cut other trees down as this one was not close to house like the gums are..

Karen, are you okay?? Luckily house is okay and everyone is safe so that is all that matters. The Banana plants were flattened yesterday..right on top of epies and Dunlayin castle..I left them there as I thought they'd give a little protection if anything else fell. Lots of big branches. river is a swirling torrent of eddies and swirling rafts of assorted junk and flotsam. Stay safe. Have a good week.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 28, 2013
1:40 AM

Post #9399736

Please stay safe, everyone in the "top end'-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9399999

Glad you and yours are okay Katciao. What a scary thing when trees start falling. My DD is in Northgate. Tried to call her, but kept getting an All Circuits busy recording. From what we are able to glean from news/online info, seems majority of flooding and damage is in S Brisbane/SQld and N NSW. She thought moving to AU she would not have "hurricane" worries...she didn't realize cyclones were the same thing and could reach that far inland. Fingers crossed this blows through quickly. Be safe.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9400275

Oh, My goodness!!! You all be careful...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 28, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9400332

Good morning everyone.
Kat, nice to hear you are safe. Trees & houses can be replaced, people cant.
I hope all our other Qld friends are safe too. .Its not a nice thing to be in and with debris flying around, can be so dangerous.
I never cease to be astounded at the fools you see in any dangerous situations.
I saw a boy running in and out of the sea . Not too bad running around in the foam on land,but the ocean, in that weather ????
Did you see the car zoom up out of the foam. A close call for those standing around.
Kat, maybe the FM has floated away to annoy people somewhere else..

Hello Moon , I hope your DD is okay and that you are able to reach her soon. Its very hard to be somewhere else when family are in danger zones.
We do have some savage weather here even if under a different name.

Charleen, give Charley a pat for me. Hope little Abigail & Kaitlin are doing well. I havent seen them for a while.

Dianne, how are things down your way ?
Last night it got quite cold. here .

Teresa, I see the darn thing has decided to move south. I do hope it misses NZ or dies out before it gets anywhere else on land.

Anthony, you may be down the lower end of the country, but at the moment it seems a good place to be.
Cocky would not like a cyclone ruffling his feathers.

Hello to anyone else looking in.
I hope everyone comes through the weather okay.

Heres a tasty nibble for morning tea. ...Rocky Road Brownies... ( Moon , dont eat them all..lol)

Stay safe and dry .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9400357

MUMMMFFFRPH...just one this morning Jean...gotta a lot of errands to run...GRIN

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 28, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9400607

Yes Jean, it was cold here too...
That car coming out of the foam was amazing...
Moon, hope that your family isn't too badly affected...I had to look up Northgate...

I had to take lots of bulbs out of their pots this morning and get them ready for replanting in the following months..
Tomorrow I'll wash the pots...

I put a couple of pics of those chairs that I keep talking about, alongside a modern chair...the are about 3ins shorter and 3ins less in the seat...
That means we are taller and have bigger bums...which is probably true...
The more that I look at them the more I marvel at the workmanship in them...
The way that the cane is inset into the seat and after goodness knows how many years, it only has one break in the cane...lots of woodworm holes, it probably sat in a shed for years...
The darker chair is stuffed with some kind of straw, even that has only one worn part where the stuffing is coming out, the seat is made from the same straw but it's been twisted into a twine, so clever, and those lovely turned legs on both of them...

Just thought that I would share these little gems from a bygone era...we'll never see their like again...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9400671

It's very wet but the rain has stopped and we have been spared the terrible wind this time.

Love antique furniture and antique books too. Guess it won't be long before I am an antique too lol.

Kat Wow you poor thing ...I have family in Bundy ...it has been scary !
Hopefully the worst is over for you all up there,
take care !

It's all mud and puddles here, but it's a lot better than expected, for which I am very grateful, but feel guilty when I see what others are going through.Living higher up has both problems and advantages. Lots of flooded roads in the lower parts around here though, nothing like further North though.

Take care everyone.
chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 28, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9400698

Ahhh, now I see the chairs, Dianne. I was thinking of smaller ones when you said they were smaller than the usual chairs. I was thinking quite small, so no, they are not the dolls chairs I mentioned, but are people chairs.
I think if you look at a lot of antique chairs, they are definitely smaller than modern ones. People were smaller than we are .
Yours look to be really nice ones.
I remember my gran having chairs with stuffing in them . I think it was horse hair used a lot back then.
Just imagine, all the ladies didnt have big bums ...lol
Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9401134

Dianne those side chairs are really cool. The darker chair on the left is called a Rush seat side chair...the material the seat is made from was usually bulrush fiber or in some cases long strips of twisted brown paper/cord rather like raffia. They were often stuffed with horsehair or the Fluff left over from ginning cotton, or from shredded bulrush. And as you guessed, the other is a cane seated side chair. In Victorian times a slightly lower smaller chair was used at the dining table. The End Chairs, for the Lord and Lady of the manor were slightly taller as was "befitting of their rank"...these chairs were also used in the Salons as occasional seating for ladies for concerts and balls...smaller chairs that could be stacked away when not in use...Folklore refers to them a ladies' chairs owing to the fact that women were shorter than men thus requiring a shorter chair...hmmm.

Spoke with my Daughter last night. They were in Noosa for Australia Day during the worst part of the rain and she said they had no trouble getting home and all was well at their house...no water standing near them. Northgate is north of Brisbane Airport a fair distance from the river. They had some water in their back yard (12-14 inches) during cyclone Yasi but none in the main house as it sits about 7 feet above the yard.

Continued good thoughts to all facing yet another round of flooding.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9401181

I went outside a little while ago. gardening is going to be interesting with Tbo. I pick something up and he wants it.
I was moving some rocks, one of my favorite things to do, found a couple of grubs so I called Abigail over for a few snacks. she loves it when I'm outside moving things...
Saw Charley laying down in pasture. Didn't know an electric fence could be so soothing. He stay mostly in center of pasture, no fences for my big boy. I don't blame him tho. That fence gives off quite a Buzz when you touch it.
Beautiful here, no rain. Just enough to make you want the warm weather here...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 29, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9401478

Good morning everyone.
Its cool here but will be a lovely day.
I was busy yesterday doing a few things I have been going to do for ages, but just never got around to them.
I have some large tyre halves here that were made into planters. They have just been sitting so I decided to move them to the back shadehouse where my largest clivias grow.
The clivias were outgrowing the pots so I filled the tyres with potting mix and put the clivias in them. Should do them for quite a few years now.
The clivias had so many roots coiled around in the pots so I just cut half off. They will be perfectly happy with whats left. All my clivias are doing very well. I have lots of yellow, variegated and broad leaf chinese ones, all seed grown.
My poor old greenhouse needs sewing up, so I will do that today. The thread where the zipper door is just rots away after a few years. I get out the large darning needle and fishing line to sew it all up again. The three greenhouse are all in different stages of condition. The first is the best as it is s till going with only a few minor places of wear. Its 8 years old . The next one ,6 years old, has just disintegrated and is just a shadehouse now with shadecloth over the frame. The last one is only 3 years old and still looking good except for the zip which I may have to replace next year.
Considering they are all just cheapies from eBay and not meant as permanent structures, I am pleased with them.
Makes my plant growing easier.

Hello Moon , so nice to hear your daughter is okay where she is.
So much heartbreak in these disasters.

Charleen, Charley is no fool . He knows to keep away form that electric fence.
I bet Abigail enjoyed her bugs. Our magpies here are the same. They will stand right next to you when you move a rock or log

Hello Dianne, Chrissy and Teresa.
Teresa, hope you arent getting any bad weather from that cyclone .
Anthony has the rain reached down your way at all. We have had nothing at all here but some quite cold days.

I will see what I can find in the kitchen for morning tea...Chocolate Cheesecake

I am off to water and fertilise.
Happy day and stay safe everyone.
Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 29, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9402145

Those Clivias sound very happy Jean, they are so expensive to buy still...

moon, you lovely lady..thank you very much for the info on the chairs...now that I know what they are, I might be able to research them a bit..
Your family live in the next suburb to one of our Brugmansia growers...we haven't heard from him but if yours are ok, he must be too...

Charleen, especially when those electric fences touch your head when you bend down to check something, even the lowest voltage gives you a headache for ages...keep away from those nasties, Charley...

There isn't a blade of grass in Mick's paddock, but now the rabbits are ringbarking all the lucerne trees around his fenceline...they act as a windbreak for the taller trees and Mick loves them...in 10 yrs I have never seen rabbits touch them before, I hope that they can shoot below the ringbarking and grow back...

No second cut for the hay this year, so I bought some more just in case.
Dianne.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 29, 2013
11:07 PM

Post #9402154

Hi Iknow so much happens at my house - storm damage a nother tile smashed by falling branch from next doors gum tree rain poured into house on monday night was away over the week end so found when I arrived home yesterday - the tile has been replaced it is all coved by my insurance this room has the most damage now waiting for the water above the ceiling to dry up tomorrow they are bring drying machine they have punched holes so water is dripping down half the house 13 buckets spread around the house so any thing thate could be moved out has been so unpluging till all the work is done. elaine.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 29, 2013
11:37 PM

Post #9402160

weather's been great here but the down side is that some areas have had just 5% of their average monthly rainfall.
The tail end of the cyclone will flick across the lower South Island bringing them some rain but there is still a high sitting over the upper half so we are in for more heat.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9402333

Thanks Jean...it is hard hearing the reports without knowing how daughter Jan and family are fairing...she says I worry overmuch...How is that possible??? GRIN

You are most welcome Dianne. Shame about the lucerne trees...hope they are able to make a comeback. I do hope your Brug friend is also high and dry.

Yesterday our high was 27C then dropped last night to 10C and rain. We are getting the tail end of another massive nasty storm that spawned tornadoes and high winds and rain across the middle of the country and is continuing toward the eastern coast...Ma Nature still isn't happy..

Elaine, so sorry about the damage to your home. Good the insurance co is moving so quickly. Do be careful and stay safe.

Teresa, fingers crossed you all get some needed rain.

Batten down the hatches Charleen...this storm is churning your way.

Good thoughts and Good Day to you all.

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9402382

Yep, they had tornado watches out. Have took them out but so cloudy looking. Looks like rain any second. Long ears have their rumps backed up against the cedar trees so they know weather is bad too.
So sorry you all having such bad weather.
Yes, Charley and friends are no dummys. I touched that electric fence with leather gloves on and Boy did I feel like a dummy.
You all take care
Charley and I send nuzzles and hugs...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 30, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9402733

Good morning everyone.
Sounds like Mother Nature is giving us all a lesson . Fire, flood and wind.
She maybe feels threatened and is warning us .
I know its all frightening when you are in the middle of things, but just imagine what it was like thousands of years ago when old Mother Nature was really showing what she can do.
Its been going on for millennia but is more terrifying now that we puny humans are here to feel it all.

Teresa, I hope all goes well for you there and you get rain and nothing else nasty.

Moon and Charleen, Keep safe and dry. Charleen, the animals always know whats coming and being mostly sensible creatures, get into shelter.

Al , hope all is well up your end of the country too.

Anthony, I see rain coming your way. Keep warm & dry.

Dianne, nice to see you now have some info on your chairs.
Dont worry about those lucerne trees. They seem to be unkillable . I have a couple and have cut them nearly to the ground at times.

Elaine, stay safe there.

Shopping day today, so I had better see what I have in the kitchen for you all for morning tea, before I get myself moving..

Here we are... a tasty nibble...Raisin Ring Cake..

Stay warm and safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 30, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9403372

It's pouring here, it's cold and that lovely rain is bucketing down...
Jean, hopefully you will have got it before me, thanks for the info on the Lucerne trees...they are Mick's favourite snack...
it's been raining down Warnambool way all day, let's hope that we get an inch or so...
Hope that the tornado, passes you by, Charleen...

Elaine, you certainly are having a bad run...hope everything improves for you...
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 31, 2013
1:16 AM

Post #9403406

Mother Nature is really giving you Aussies a hammering.
Hope everyone stays safe & not too much damage done.
To anyone affected by flooding - remember if they say to boil your water before drinking it you need to keep it on a rolling boil for at least 3 minutes.
Just bringing it to the boil in the kettle will not kill the bugs.

Amazing what living through a disaster does for your knowledge of things like that...

a tsp of bleach in a litre of water left for 24 hours will be safe to drink - tastes vile though.
Sales of bleach & cordial went through the roof after the earthquakes here.

And I really hope the insurance companies pay out faster than ours do.
It will be 2 years this Feb 22nd & my back wall still isn't fixed & my chimney is still waiting.
But there are people in the worst affected eastern suburbs who are still using chemical toilets or portaloos so I won't grizzle too much.

was another hot one today, we took Sugar to the dog park to play in the river & run with all the other dogs.
Poor Copper can't come with us as he isn't trustworthy with strange dogs & he still thinks small white fluffy dogs are vermin.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2013
1:31 AM

Post #9403410

Gosh trouble everywhere ...it's that number 13 in 2013 lol.

Seriously ...it's still almost 29C here at almost 8.30. Steamy as heck.

My cousin in Bundy says it will be quite a while until life gets anywhere back to normal.

I feel so sorry for everyone suffering in the weather dramas, but I am so proud of the way everyone ralleys in these situations.

The Tree Lucerne ...I would love to swap something for some seeds if anyone has some.

Try to enjoy your evening/day despite or because of the weather.

chrissy
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 31, 2013
1:41 AM

Post #9403411

Hey happy to say all drips has stop so did not need the dryer heaters the carpet has been removed - also a lot of the stuff in the roof- the floor and the wood frame is drying so might be starting to remove the wall materail and wood trims next week .

This is the 3rd. bad luck in a month so I must have a good year after all this so I can use the PC it can stay pluged in here till start work it is a bit rank in here so wont use it much.

Thanks for all the concern and well wishes all I can do is smile --- Iam so self centered so many up state has lost every thing and I complain about about a nothing .
elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2013
2:49 AM

Post #9403427

Great to hear Elaine, glad you are ok now :-)

chrissy
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9403707

Hi Folks - Hope everyone is safe and sound overthere. Weather here has been changeable, but we're living with it. Warm one day, blustery the next.

We're shuffling off to Buffalo tonight to see the "Elvis Lives" show at Shay's Theater downtown. There's three professional impersonators depicting different times in his life, should be interesting. We're both great Elvis fans.

Took some time to browse a couple of larger Buffalo seed shops. Found some heritage Italian Pagano lettuce leaf Basil and Giant Marconi peppers not available at home. Some special container tomatoes, too. I'll start my seeds in mid - March.

Talk later,
Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9403892

Be careful Al and have fun...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 31, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9403939

Good morning everyone.

I have moved us so you can enjoy wandering through the forest down the back of the Tea Room. We are now here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296354/

Its chilly here, but fine after yesterday afternoons rain. ( 33 points )
The plants will love the rain water after the awful stuff I put on them from the tap.

Al, I hope you enjoy shuffling off to Buffalo. I would love to see the Elvis show as I was always a great fan.
You will have fun growing the new seeds too.

Charleen. I missed Charley this morning. He was just going down the track into the woods.
I think he had TBo with him and I'm not sure but maybe Abigail was on his back..
He does get around .

Moon, how are things in your area ?
I hope no more tornadoes hovering around.

Stay safe and warm over there in the US.

Chrissy, if I was you, I would think of something else to plant other than the tree lucerne. It can be a problem with self seeding in the right conditions. I let mine go as I usually cut it for the sheep next door and it makes a wind break of sorts.
The trouble is , it grows quickly and unless its cut right back all the time, you lose the lower wind break.
My two trees are way over 15 foot high .
I have to cut them back soon. They self seed like mad but here in the dry, most of the seedlings die off and I spray the rest. In the right conditions it will spread just like the yellow broom which also grows here.
I can send you seeds after it flowers if you want them. ( in late Spring )
I could probably get a seedling or two if I look around under the trees.

Elaine, glad to hear you are safe and that your damage is fixable .

Teresa, I had to laugh . I can see why Copper would take exception to small white yappy things around him...lol
They can be annoying little devils.
( sorry Tilly )

Dianne, nice to see you had the rain too.
Please tell Tilly I exclude her from the description of little white yappy things.
You have to admit though, they can be very annoying if never taught manners.

I am off to see how happy all my plants are this morning after the fresh drink.

I will see what I can find in the kitchen for morning tea.

Here we are ...Chocolate Coconut Macaroons.

Happy day and stay safe and dry.
Jean.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296354/

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America