Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: need help with Plant i.d.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 15, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Eternia

(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9371629

hi
i was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what kind of plant this is?
its just tiny so im having a hard time :(
Thanks for any help :)

Thumbnail by Eternia   Thumbnail by Eternia
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9371733

Looks like Begonia 'Medora' (aka Trout Leaf Begonia)
Eternia

(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9371816

Ty for the reply :)
now to find info/care for it...was hoping it would'a been an Angel Wing but still a pretty plant :)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9371823

Eternia---

I have a similar, spotted Begonia. it also has fairly thin stems like yours. handle with care!

As for care--mostly--do not over water--they can rot out easily. . Keep soil evenly moist. Watering from the bottom helps
as water poured on top affects the shallow roots. Watering from the bottom will encourage deeper roots.

Light? Begonias can grow in a wide spectrum of light--but a bright medium light, or a filtered sunlight
seem to work best. Direct, bright light is not needed.
Growth can be slow--but it can pick up when days get longer.

If a piece would break off, you can stick it right next to the plant and it will root...fingers crossed...

Here is mine--next to a Thanksgiving cactus. Looks like yours--right?

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eternia

(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9371846

Gitagal
Thank for the help!
I think mine looks like yours (just mini lol) but they seem to have the same reddish stems and silver speckles so i do believe its the right plant :)
I bought 5 two inch plants that i was going to pot together for 1 big 1,do you think it would be ok and then just leave them? my best window lighting is a north and south exposure so may have to keep it back from the living room (south) window so it doesn't get harsh light,with this 1 i think i will water from bottom up for better roots,it the smallest plant i have (next to my baby spider) so i want to do good with it ...
Thanks again :D

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9371865

Sure!
You can pot them together, just be gentle in handling the plants.
Fill the new pot almost full with fresh, good Potting Mix. I like MG Potting Mix. (NOT soil!)

Water it in. Make 2 holes about the same size as the root balls on your little plants.
Carefully lift out the plants from the pots/planters they are in--and then lower them into the holes you made.
Firm the soil around the plants--gently. Give the bigger pot a couple of taps on the outside to settle
things in, and--IF NEEDED--water a little bit--and you are done.

***A neat trick whenever transplanting anything is to do as above--but remove the plants from the small pots
and lay them aside for now. Use the small pots the plants were in as "space savers" in your bigger pot.

Firm the new soil all around the pots, make sure the tops of the pots are level with the soil--and then remove the pots--
and lay in the removed plants into the holes made by the small pots. Perfect fit! No fussing and NO breakage.

This is good to remember--especially when transplanting very fragile plants--like African Violets.

A bright Northern light may be just perfect.

Good night! Have a wonderful New Year! Gita
Eternia

(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9371933

Ty so much for all your help! I'm definitely going to
Use the plant pot trick ( to be safer) then find a
Nice 'light' location for them :) ill post a pick of them
All potted together when I transplant them tommorow
Ty again and a Happy New Year to you as we'll
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9371999

Gitagal,

Your begonia looks like 'My Special Angel'. I would give cane begonias as much light as possible. If it gets too hot then back them away from the window a foot or so. They also do well under fluorescent lights.

Medora can be an excellent grower (very bushy and get up to 3 feet tall) but can also quickly die from neglect or too much water as you stated.

My Special Angel has leaves that are twice as big or bigger than Medora. My Special Angel can take full sun in summer as long as it stays watered sufficiently and can be a beautiful bloomer.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9372142

Hemcode---

I have had an Angel Wing Begonia forever--I mean--maybe 25 years.
This is the big one--also called a "Cane Begonia".
I keep it on my front porch all summer--facing North. It grows huge!

In the house for the winter--it gets leggy and drops a lot of bottom leaved.
No worry--as EVERY year, I cut the tops off and root them. Every 2 or 3 year--
I pull the whole plant out and discard the older roots and re-pot the better ones.
And--it grows to about 3' tall again.
This is how I have kept it going all these years.

many people call Begonias with the "wing-like leaves "Anger Begonia". Even the one
we are talking about here. There are so many kinds...Not sure they can all be called that-though.

Here is my big one. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9372180

I have one of these begonias and love it!
I think I'm going to start doing what you do, Gita. They root so easily, you can keep having a fresh supply each Spring!
Barb
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9372229

Very well grown Gita. That one is close to Lucerna but probably not. I think you meant Angel Wing (not Anger Wing)

You are right about there are hundreds of canes and shrubs out there. Some too much alike to really know the difference. Most do have names in the trade so you know one angel wing from another. There are many oldies that are so striking that you will soon remember their names if you follow begonias. I've grown several canes myself from seed collected off my own canes but not sure if they are worthy to pass around (yet).

My oldest cane is Lucerna and I've had it about 38 to 39 years (almost as long as I've been married). See some of my posts in the Begonia Forum. I haven't had as much luck with cane begonias recently probably because my wife wanted me to move my entire collection to the very back of our lot which gets too much shade in my estimation. I hope to remedy that this coming summer.

Anyway check this thread out:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060888/?hl=\"my special angel

Eternia

(Zone 3a)

January 1, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9372427

Gita your plants are beautiful !
I replanted the 'Angels' but couldn't
Fit all 5 so I have a lone soldier ...
I did the pot trick and it was super easy
Getting them switched over- Ty
Here is a picture of the 'new' plant
Sorry they came out side ways :/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9372536

Eternia---
You did a good job potting up your Begonia.
Do you know that, agfter you have uploaded a picture, you can right-click on it and rotate it?
Right--or left---as much as you like. It is hard to see your picture sideways...I cannot rotate it...
Glad you liked the pot methof of transplanting. This works like a charm--especially on African Violets.

Hemcode---

I looked at your link--WOW! You ARE really into begonias!
I am at work--so I cannot do as much here on the computer as i could at home. Will re-read it later.

Another one of my begonias is "Beef Steak Begonia". it can grow so full and be so beautiful,
but the stem tends to grow gnarled and curves a lot. Then--sometimes, it rots out and I have to
cut the stem back and re-pot it and hope it grows in.
Normally, I propagate the BSB fron a leaf. First I put it in water and when some roots form, I pot it up.
I tried, once, the leaf propagation--laying a big leaf flat in a plastiv container and cutting sime of the main veins.
It worked OK--but I must have screwed up something. never got any plants out of it.
It is such a pretty begonia. Theshiny leaves with the meat-colored undersides...

Gotta go. My day is done. Gita

With the big Angel Wing--I have found thatit does not bloom as easily once it has been cut back.
It grows big again--but the blooms may, or may not, come.
Tip cuttings that have been roted bloom easier. SO---I have to assume that the blooms fare better
from the growing tips. Right???? Not right???

Can't show you the Beefsteak--as i am not home.
Eternia

(Zone 3a)

January 1, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9372542

re uploading pic's :)
Think i got them right side up

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9372600

Beach-barbie---

I just wanted to clarify what all I do when I cut back my big begonia.

I cut the tops off--about 8" or so. Remove the lower leaves and put them all in some water to root.
As soon as they make some roots--I plant them up in a new pot--or several new pots.
3 cuttings per 6" pot works good. Then you have some to share.

Back to the Mama plant. I cut off all the canes to about 6"-7", being careful that I leave an 'eye"
for the new growth to come from. In reality--the canes themselves can also be rooted--but I do not bother.
I discard them.

Now you have a big pot full of stubby stems--which will re-grow during the summer/fall into the big plants pictured above.

As hcmcdole said--these can take sun as well. The more sun--the more intense the colors of the leaves will get.
You would have to acclimatize this plant to full sun, though. You cannot just plop it into sun after you bring it out
for the growing season. Baby steps here...
Mine just sit on my N. facing front steps and catch some early AM sun. Seems to do well this way.

Now that i am home, I can post a picture of my Beefsteak Begonia. This shot is from

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9372603

Beach-barbie---

I just wanted to clarify what all I do when I cut back my big begonia.

I cut the tops off--about 8" or so. Remove the lower leaves and put them all in some water to root.
As soon as they make some roots--I plant them up in a new pot--or several new pots.
3 cuttings per 6" pot works good. Then you have some to share.

Back to the Mama plant. I cut off all the canes to about 6"-7", being careful that I leave an 'eye"
for the new growth to come from. In reality--the canes themselves can also be rooted--but I do not bother.
I discard them.

Now you have a big pot full of stubby stems--which will re-grow during the summer/fall into the big plants pictured above.

As hcmcdole said--these can take sun as well. The more sun--the more intense the colors of the leaves will get.
You would have to acclimatize this plant to full sun, though. You cannot just plop it into sun after you bring it out
for the growing season. Baby steps here...
Mine just sit on my N. facing front steps and catch some early AM sun. Seems to do well this way.

Now that i am home, I can post a picture of my Beefsteak Begonia. This shot is from 2008 and 2--9.

Another favorite Begonia of mine is the Dragon Leaf begonia. Such an impact of color on lg. planters and beds!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America