Post #9372345

Thanks for the new thread Resin!
Methodical
Clinton, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9372383

Happy New Year everyone. I have not posted in awhile, but I do pop in and check on things every then and again. That Grebe looks familiar to those in the States, but different name.

One thing I've decided this year is that I will leave more of the environment in my bird images to give the viewer a bit more detail of the goings on (i.e. no really tight crops).

Here' s an Eastern Towhee

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 2:14 PM

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by Methodical
Click the image for an enlarged view.

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9372451

Happy New Year to Everyone !!! Glad to see you stopping by, Methodical. Nice Eastern Towhee. I haven't been out for awhile with the weather and the holidays. You mentioned Resin's Eared Grebe. Eared Grebe's are in the Western U.S but I get some of the similar species mixed up, i.e. the Horned Grebe and the Red-necked Grebe.

As you might expect, I've spend most of my photography time at the Conowingo Dam over the past 2-3 months taking 1,000's of Bald Eagle photos. I enjoy the fraternizing almost as much as taking photos. This was the mildest time frame that I have experienced over the past 6 years. It would be nice to get a few more "closer" fishing shots that don't have the tail-end facing the camera but you get what you get ... I haven't been to Patuxent since September. They are seeing some Crossbills fairly regular over the last two weeks.

The following shots were taken on my last trip to Blackwater.

1. Tundra Swans - 3 juveniles, 2 adults
2. Northern Harrier
3. Bald Eagle - sitting on the Osprey nest
4. American Coot
5. Great Blue Heron

Note: Methodical, if you visit Blackwater, be very careful of the speed camera on Egypt Road (it's new). My last trip was a little expensive !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9372456

linthicum wrote:You mentioned Resin's Eared Grebe. Eared Grebe's are in the Western U.S but I get some of the similar species mixed up, i.e. the Horned Grebe and the Red-necked Grebe.

Ooops! Got a bit mixed up myself with the different names - my bird is a Slavonian Greve a.k.a. Horned Grebe. Not Eared, which is Black-necked Grebe. Red-necked has the same name both sides of the Atlantic. I'll edit my earlier post ;-)

Resin
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9372509

In the last thread,
Nanny, you did a great job with the photos. You have a good variety of birds. I tried the monopod which is nice and easy to move around, but I still shook too much. Now I'm using a cheap tripod and getting clearer pics. Next on my wish list is a sturdier tripod.

Kim, the purples may still return for your seeds, keep watching. Cute dee in flight.lol

Resin, thanks for the new start. Nice shot of the greve-I'm always confusing the grebes here since we have several species.

Met, glad to see you. That towhee sure is pretty.

Linth, your photos are always so clear and good.

Happy New Year Everyone
The buffleheads have arrived on our lake. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a decent photo of them in the sun.
Not sure, but I think this is a Ring-billed Gull.
A great blue heron just enjoying the sun.
And, a common merganser.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9372530

ducbucln wrote:Not sure, but I think this is a Ring-billed Gull.

Yep!

Resin
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9373097

Thanks Resin!
Methodical
Clinton, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9373229

linthicum wrote:Happy New Year to Everyone !!! Glad to see you stopping by, Methodical. Nice Eastern Towhee. I haven't been out for awhile with the weather and the holidays. You mentioned Resin's Eared Grebe. Eared Grebe's are in the Western U.S but I get some of the similar species mixed up, i.e. the Horned Grebe and the Red-necked Grebe.

As you might expect, I've spend most of my photography time at the Conowingo Dam over the past 2-3 months taking 1,000's of Bald Eagle photos. I enjoy the fraternizing almost as much as taking photos. This was the mildest time frame that I have experienced over the past 6 years. It would be nice to get a few more "closer" fishing shots that don't have the tail-end facing the camera but you get what you get ... I haven't been to Patuxent since September. They are seeing some Crossbills fairly regular over the last two weeks.

The following shots were taken on my last trip to Blackwater.

1. Tundra Swans - 3 juveniles, 2 adults
2. Northern Harrier
3. Bald Eagle - sitting on the Osprey nest
4. American Coot
5. Great Blue Heron

Note: Methodical, if you visit Blackwater, be very careful of the speed camera on Egypt Road (it's new). My last trip was a little expensive !!!

Thanks for the tip Linth about the speed camera. I'm going to have to get me another radar detector. I haven't been out in awhile myself. As a matter of fact, I just went to Conowingo on the 12/29, very bad day weather wise, but I just had to get out and shoot. I was at Patuxent on 12/22, another bad day, looking for the Crossbill, but no luck. As you know, Saturdays are not good since they are hunting, but again, I needed to get out and wanted to hit a spot that I had not visited in awhile - 0/2 haha.

Have you been to Oakley St.? I'm thinking about going that ways while I'm off of work.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9373283

Happy New Year everyone, thanks Resin for the new thread. Great Blue Heron on a cloudy day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9373583

Methodical, I stopped by Oakley Street on 12/13/12. Zero ducks ! The best time should be the end of January and the first 2-3 weeks in February. My final trip to Conowingo was 12/11. I won't go back until next Fall. My next travel will probably be Bombay Hook. But, you have to check their hunting schedule, also.

Duc, it's not easy to get a good shot in bright sunlight especially mid-day. Do you shoot RAW format or JPEG ? A bright overcast day probably provides the best lighting next to the early morning hours.

Nice photo of the Great Blue Heron, Lily.

Here are a few photos of Bald Eagles taken at the Conowingo Dam this Fall.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 3, 2013
2:26 AM

Post #9373824

Beautiful shots guys!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9373881

Fantastic shots folks.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9374044

Happy New Year to the "peeps" of DG.

From the CBC last week, a couple of Lifers.

Eurasian Tree Sparrow
Rough-legge Hawk light and dark.

and a Snow Bunting

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9374101

The finches enjoy the cooler weather, I think.

Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ         

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 3, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9374497

The first one of course is our little Wren, he comes around more often but still skittish, the second id the Junco, they have been bigger than usual and been getting closer to the house, it is great to see all my winter birds back again, had a Blue Jay land on the seed feeder but alas no camera. Well, maybe next time.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes         

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9376097

Kim, glad that heron was there to brighten your cloudy day.

Linth, I shoot jpeg because I take so many photos-I may try the raw. Super shots of the eagles, especially that last one.

Mrs Ed, love your birds, especially that bunting.

Julie, cute house finches.

Emptyeyes, nice photos of your wren and junco too.

I'm still trying to get this belted kingfisher to come closer-no luck yet.
One of many white-crowned sparrows.
And dark-eyed juncos are everywhere in my garden.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9376336

Great photos!!

I started a thread on the forum about an Eagle nest cam that is in southwest Florida. They hatched to eaglets last week and this cam also has night vision!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 6, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9377245

cams are interesting.
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9377298

The first picture is the birds waiting for fresh seed...mostly finches. Second picture is a free-for-all. haha

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9377555

Duc, the only reason I asked if you shoot RAW is that RAW allows you more flexibility in difficult lighting situations. However, it's not necessarily a panacea to all problems.

Here is one of my favorite shots.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9377607

Wow, Linth. Such great shot!!! Julie, quite a variety.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9378115

Julie, your little birds are so cute. Glad you're seeing the pine siskins.

Linth, that photo should be on your wall. Well done, I can see why it's your favorite.

Kim, love your finches too. That suet sure is popular.

The hawks are chasing off my birds again and making my days very long. Thank goodness the hummers aren't afraid of them. Here's an Anna's.
I'm finally seeing the red head on my ruby-crowned kinglet more. Now if it would only come closer.
Here's one of many California quail.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln      

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9378268

Love that Ruby-crowned Kinglet and the red marking on its head is so distinctive. Duc. your photos and many other friends on this forum are one of the many reasons I thrive to learn more about photography.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9378974

Amazing shot showing the "ruby crown"!!
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9379428

Fun day at the Wheeler refuge - Decatur, Alabama.
Wintering sandhill cranes were counted today at 9700!
Also fun to see a handful of whooping cranes (not pictured)

Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ      

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9379980

Awesome shots of the Sandhill Cranes!! I see them flying over during migrations but have never seen one on the ground. That would be awesome!

Saw the Red-shouldered Hawk land on a tree branch yesterday with a squirrel about 3 feet away on the same branch. The squirrel slowly backed up ...sat still for a minute and the leaped to the branch below!! lol

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 9, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9379999

More difficult for a hawk to manuver on a tree branch?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9380033

Or maybe the hawk wasn't hungry, just heading that way anyway.

Resin

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9380058

Adorable Pied-billed Grebe and Lesser Scaup

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed         

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9380109

Julie, what an exciting day for you. So many cranes, great photos.

Nanny, glad that hawk wasn't hungry! I'm sure the squirrel felt pretty lucky.

Mrs Ed, beautiful photos of the grebe, mallard and scaup!

According to our Christmas Bird Count totals, we counted 8170 Ruddy Ducks on our lake. That's good news since several years ago we were busy picking up over 10,000 dead ruddys due to avian disease.

Resin identified the next two as barnyard geese, I think they are so beautiful.

Look closely at the last photo-I was taking photos of the gull and when I turned the lens toward the coot, the gull came over and bit the coot! Think it was jealousy?

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9383611

This mockingbird came to get some berries off of our table.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9383918

Love the ducks, geese and the rest of the water fowls duc, Mrs. Ed. Great pix of the Mocker JulieQ. Thanks for sharing the info. on the refuge info. in Decatur. Our family needs to make a trip up there some day soon.

I've a very pretty male Blue Bird checking out the new nest box off and on since late Fall. Other time several of the BBs will browse this nest box as well as the old one. I offer them mealworms starting today. Hope to see the nesting season begin soon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

January 13, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9383951

I really have not seen that many birds so far this winter. I see Robins flying over, and of course do have some Painted and Indigo Buntings at my feeder. I was outside a while this morning and was pleased to see this immature Bald Eagle pass over.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9383996

Beautiful juvie Bald Eagle gp. I'd love to see some of those Painted and Indigo Buntings around my feeders.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9385683

Julie, that mocker is cute. That's a great idea putting the berries out.

Kim, it looks like the bbs are keeping track of the nest boxes. He's sure a pretty guy.

GP, you're so lucky to see the buntings. An excellent photo of the eagle.

Here's a great egret, one of my anna's hummers, a phainopepla that we found at a local marsh and a belted kingfisher.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 15, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9385960

I have seen a couple robins around town, just not in our yard.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

January 16, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9386864

Amazing detail on that Hummingbird. What a beauty.
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9387055

This poor girl hit the window and sat here in the rain recovering. She is propping herself with her tail. Thankfully, all was well and after a few minutes she flew away.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9387285

Love mockingbirds...so entertaining!

Lily...hope a BB picks your box soon!

GP...nice catch of the juvie eagle. I have been watching in hopes of spotting one here.

duc...beautiful shot as always...love the kingfisher!

The cost of seed keeps going up so with the addition of 3 people to our household and only one income...which is less than last year with the payroll tax hike!!...I will use up the seed I have and then will have to stop feeding the birds. I do hope I can keep putting out suet at least for awhile, but will have to see how things go. I will start buying jelly now and stocking up for orioles so we can enjoy them thru the summer.

The Pileated Woodpeckers have not been coming to the suet until just the last couple of weeks...and so far have just seen this small one.

Dark -eyed Junco...like his black spot!!

Carolina Wren and the Red-breasted Nuthatch

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56      

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 16, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9387336

Lovely piliated wp Nanny. I wish one would come here. With the snow both birds in the cardinal pair showed up.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9387470

Lovely pictures everyone. Nanny, that pileated is really neat and love that black spot on the little junco.
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9389143

Quite a lot of snow for us here in Alabama. The birds love the feeders!

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9389148

I love the photos everyone!!!!! I don't have too many birds around my feeder this year!! I hear the Blue Jays & Cardinals but they are not coming to my feeders! :0)
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9389457

Julie, glad to hear that pretty cardinal was able to fly away. You have your hands full at the feeders-so many birds.

Nanny, I know you'll do the best you can to feed your birds. Sure hope things get better for you all soon. I'm still jealous of your pileated woodys and I'll bet they'll stay around. My hummers look like they have black spots on the front when they get their feather wet. I can't tell if your junco had the same. I can't believe you caught a wren and a nuthaters together-wow!

Cindylove, have you tried putting some peanuts out to get your birds started on the food?

Here's a female house finch, a dark-eyed junco and a ruby-crowned kinglet.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9394709

Duc, I so want to live in Kelseyville!

I'm having quite a few American Goldfinch visiting this week. My usual high number for them is 11, but I'm up to 26. Time to go buy some more thistle. Here are a few pix.

PS. has anyone else been getting thistle seed with safflower mixed in? This is the second bag of Farm and Fleet Brand that has had this happen.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9394741

Marna, I haven't been using much nijer for Goldfinches lately, so no I haven't. For some reason, I don't get many Goldfinches here. Wondering why, lol. Here I've a lone Goldfinch, seeing a flock of them is a rare thing for me these days.

I thought I've seen Cedar Waxwings visiting the garden the past couple of days, but wasn't sure, 'til I captured proof of it. (grin). Male Cardinal, and the residential Great Blue Heron. Last pic. is one of my winter migrant, a Pine Warbler, she has been hanging around the suet feeder for couple of weeks, which is a welcoming sight!

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9394767

Mrs. Ed wrote:
Quoting: Duc, I so want to live in Kelseyville!
Please, please bring me with you please. lol. Duc, love your birds and photos always.

Male Redbellied Wp visits; the male often is seen here. I wonder if he brings food to the female? I rarely see the female that comes to the feeder especially in winter.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 23, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9394919

We have seen the male wp here only.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9395052

Mrs. Ed, I love your goldfinches. I had to stop buying the thistle seeds when they got past $65 for a bag. Well it was either that or stop buying the tons of sugar, peanut butter and peanuts. That second photo with the squirrel is adorable. It looks like it's quite happy with the seeds too.

Lily, love all your birds too. That pine warbler is gorgeous. The fishing must be great at your house, that heron knows a good place to be.

Oh by the way, you're both welcome anytime!

My vet called and asked if I'd take photos of another hawk that had been treated for a gunshot and was ready to be released. This vet technician works with the birds brought into their office and this was her first "from pick up to release". The sky was gray and the rain just beginning but I did catch my pictures. This was a red-tailed hawk.

I finally got photos of the large feet of a coot in the water. The feet just don't seem to fit the coot.

Last one is my regular visitor, a nuttall's woodpecker.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9395093

65 dollars a bag!!! holy moley. I don't think i'm spending that much.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 23, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9395130

Our few goldfinches are stuck with black oil sunflower seed like the rest of the birds.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9395924

Lily...I don't think the male is taking food to the female at this time of year. We usually have a dominate red-bellied that rules...we have had both sexes in that role...and then which ever is not the dominate one comes at odd times of the day and we don't see them as often.

We have a male red-bellied that comes and drills on our old furnace exhaust pipe up up the roof...driving us NUTS!!!! lol

duc...Sad about the hawk being shot but glad it has made a recovery and you got to take its pic!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9396643

Thanks nanny and irisMA for sharing your observation of the woodpeckers. Boys! I can only imagine the noises those RBWP make drilling on the old furnace pipe. Duc, it's so neat to see your coot's large feet. They aren't anything I imagined. I thought their feet must be webbing like that of ducks but it isn't so. Great pics. of the wp and the rehabbed bird.

I was so thrilled to find out; this flock of birds are actually Pelicans flying over our region which is rare to see.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9397953

Hi folks. Great pictures. Love looking at them.

I am fortunate to have wrens living at my house. Here are some shots of them. The wren in the last shot either was yelling at something, or did not care for the suet. LOL

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 26, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9397976

Carolina wrens are so perky. I prefer them to the noisy house wrens of the summer.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9398019

Lily, so glad you saw the pelicans. They sure are amazing to see all in a "v" or straight line.

GrannyG, your wren photos are adorable. Looks like they're very happy with the food you're providing.

The Cedar Waxwings have finally arrived and are loving the berries on the trees.
Here's a Spotted Towhee.
A first for me, this Mourning Dove passed by the chopped peanuts feeder and hopped up on the peanut butter log for a meal.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9398063

GrannyGrunt wrote:Hi folks. Great pictures. Love looking at them.

I am fortunate to have wrens living at my house. Here are some shots of them. The wren in the last shot either was yelling at something, or did not care for the suet. LOL

GrannyG, I agree. We're very fortunate to have them living so close to us. :)

Duc, I so love the pics. of the CW, especially those with berries in their beaks. They too are passing by here. Neighbors have pyrachantha's berries. I'll look to see if the berries aren't all disappeared after these beautiful birds discovered them. These birds visited my garden this time of year for Hollies and Cotoneasters berries. Unfortunately, the one and only cotoneaster I've was cleaned out by the Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers in the neighborhood earlier this winter.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9398906

A pretty female cardinal; white breasted nuthatch twice, male cardinal, and busy little downy woodpecker.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9398944

GG, very nice serries. Here I've a Brown-headed Nuthatch that has been hanging around the garden the last week, and Eastern Bluebirds are very active in the garden this time of the year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9398983

GG...nice to see you posting some pics again!! Things look busy at your house.

Nice to see your nuthatch there Lily and your BB!! That is maybe one plus I look forward to when I quit putting seed out maybe the BB's will come around even more and enjoy the birdbath. I may think about adding another bath.

DH was so funny yesterday. I was talking about how it will almost be a relieve to not have the feeling of responsibility for the birds anymore once the the seed is all gone. But we will keep the suet and so jelly for the orioles come summer. He was like ...we are going to do the hummers too , right??? Yes honey we will feed the hummers too!! lol
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9399225

Fun to watch the birds use the sunflowers we grew last summer. Here is a cardinal going to town on the flower head. haha

Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ   Thumbnail by JulieQ   

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9400066

The birds are amusing to watch with the sunflowers! :0)
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9400342

My hubby got me 3 hot pepper suet cakes the other day, the squirrels finally got the rest of the regular one so I am going to try these and see what happens. I took a sniff and if I was a squirrel I would go somewhere else for food. Will let you know what happens.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9400361

Lily, I've never heard of cotoneasters. Looked it up here and there's lots of them. I was wondering which one you'd recommend? Looks like something my birds might like. Love the bluebird feeder cage and the nuthatch photos.

GrannyG, your birds are beautiful. That white-breasted nuthatch looks sooooo white, almost leucistic. It should have some coloring under the wing. Sweet!

Nanny, lol, glad you'll have a hummer feeder too.

JulieQ, cute set of photos of your cardinal. Great idea of setting the flowerheads on the ground.

emptyeyes, hope the new suet works for you.

I don't think I've ever noticed the line of coloring on my dark-eyed juncos' backs before.
The pine siskins are really posing for me-here's my fav three photos.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9400394

we have quite a few pine siskins this year, the little brown wren has been around quite often too. not too many cardinals this year, but have seen them occasionally.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 28, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9400448

We have always used the pepper imbeded suet cakes. Squirrels leave them along. Hairy woodpecker visited today.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9400464

Duc, I thought too that Nuthatch seemed very white and cannot see any coloring under its wing. I have some more photos of it, and will have to take a look.

BTW, your photos are fantastic.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9400496

Duc, you haven't noticed the fine details on your birds before? Neither have I until I see you recent pictures. Such fine quality and clarity. Hah, those nuthatches are so adorable, I just love 'em GG.

Duc, the contoneaster I've is a cutting that I asked for from my fav. local nursery. This is the one. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/349894/
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9400645

So far, the squirrels have not even come close to the suet cake.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9401853

Thanks for the plant name Lily, I love it and want it for my birds.

Emptyeyes, glad the suet is working.

The high winds brought the raptors today. First the crows had to work hard to chase off this red-tailed hawk, but they finally did.
Here's one of three bald eagles that chased each other all over the lake.
And last is one of many white-crowned sparrows. They don't eat the berries but I thought this one looked cute sitting there watching the robins.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9402735

Beautiful WCS among the berries. Nice in flight pics. of the raptors Duc.

My adorable Wrens at the meallies cage-feeder. This Yellow-bellied Sapsucker(s) do not come to the feeder, but love to go after various berries in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love      

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9402786

Nice photos, Lily, especially the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I haven't seen one for quite some time.

Excellent photos Duc, as always. I like the colors in the White-crowned Sparrow photo, in particular.

I don't take a lot of photographs around the house only because I get the same varieties. But, I broke down and took a few earlier this week hoping for something a little unusual. No luck, however.

Downy Woodpecker male, Re-bellied Woodpecker male, White-breasted Nuthatch, Blue Jay and Carolina Wren ...

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9402831

Lily, your little wren is sure adorable and I love that sapsucker.

Linth, you should take more photos of your everyday birds. You sure have a great assortment of birds. Loved the photos.

The eagles have been in "their" tree below our house and scoping the lake for ducks. I think this one was after a meal when it took off. Thankfully, it went behind a tree so I didn't see the catch.
This robin was just sitting and watching the others eating berries in the trees.
This yellow-rumped warbler came up to the deck to check out the peanut butter log.

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

January 31, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9403440

What a wonderful location you have,duc. I'm afraid I would not get much done around the house.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

January 31, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9403495

I've been lurking, but have nothing to contribute other than my pleasure at seeing birds from the northern hemisphere. Some amazing shots.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9403931

Wow, Great shots and captures everyone!! ~ I would like to add a few here ~
This is a Finch taking a bath. It was cool and overcast day and it gave me the chills watching this bird take a bath on such a cool morning ...

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9403933

Time to get out and go dry off ...

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9403935

Finches and chickadee getting a drink

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9403938

Hope you all don't mind that I'm adding so many, I don't get much time at all to add photos so I'm adding extra's while I do have the time ..
The Bluebirds come around quite a bit and I have been giving them there mealyworms which they really enjoy!

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9403941

More Bluebird photos ..

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9404665

Gosh Iris, looks like spring at your house!!!

Finally after all the reports of Redpolls in the area, I had a female stop by the feeder yesterday. This morning a male joins her. And daily visits now from the male red-bellied woodpecker.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9404719

Oh Iris...love your BB's!!

Mrs Ed...Congrats on the Redpoll!! I thought I might have had one the other day so I rushed to get the camera so I could zoom and see better but the bird flew off first. Probably was just a finch anyway! lol

I actually took some pics yesterday thru the window. I need to upload and see if they are any good.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 1, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9404783

The squirrels are trying to find any place on the suet cake where it is not hot, but they can't, it is fun to watch them try, they get in all kinds of positions, upside down sideways.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 1, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9405177

Hope their tongues burn.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9405292

Behind the scene here, and enjoying your shots.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

February 1, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9405301

Just a couple shots I got today of the Painted Buntings at their feeder, and the female Red-bellied Woodpecker at the suet.

Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom   Thumbnail by gardenpom      

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9405306

Nothing spectacular here as these were taken yesterday during one of our snow showers!! The Pileated was here twice today but took off before I could grab the camera. She sense any movement and she out of here!!

Male Cardinal and Red-bellied woodpecker

House Finch and Carolina Chickadee

House Finch and Female Cardinals...we have so many it seems strange when others say they don't see cardinals!

Downy Woodpecker and Red-breasted Nuthatch

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
4:01 AM

Post #9405646

Mrs.-Ed, It " Was" like spring here for a while with the temps arond 65-70, But, back to cold now. ( Won't be much longer before the nice weathers back again though .. can't wait!) ~ It's been such a warm winter that the shrubs are actually budding and I've even seen some bees about! ~ Nice to see that you got a red poll!

Nanny ... Thanks! ~ I love watching them and hearing there calls! ( I alway know if they are around by the sound they make)
I enjoyed your pictures! Sorry you missed the Pileated woodpecker, Hopefully you'll be able to catch it next time.

Gardenpom, Love the painted buntings!

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9405929

Today was the coldest its been so far this winter, 21 degrees. The feeders are getting a lot of action.

Cardinal trying to fit on the small perch.
Downey at the PB log
Chickadee at the PB log
Almost a full house
Purple finch waiting for a spot

Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727   Thumbnail by beclu727

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9406087

Iris, I really enjoyed seeing your photos. The bluebirds are beautiful and the finches are always so cute.

Mrs Ed, I'm so glad the redpolls are arriving. Such cute photos of yours and the red-bellied.

GP, I sure love the buntings and red-bellied.

Beclu, that pb log is really bringing you some pretty birds too. Cute photos.

Here's a yellow-rumped warbler.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9406157

beclu727, I guess you did have a full house today! Thats one looong feeder, I think I'm going to make a pb log. ~ Enjoyed the photos!

ducbucln, I always enjoy seeing your photos, and this is a great one of the yellow-rumped warbler!

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9406381

Iris, DH makes me a new log each winter using a branch or log from our yard. He puts 1-1.5 inch holes in it using his drill press and uses the same wire/hook from previous logs. The holes are about 0.5-0.75 inches deep. This one has 6 holes. The one he made last year had 15 and that was too much. I usually try to find a log with some branches sticking out for the non-clingers to use.

The long feeder is from Droll Yankees and is very old. It was a gift from a friend who was moving and didn't have a spot for it at the new place. I think its 32 inches long!
Becky
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9406457

Becky, Thanks for the update for the log.
I believe that is the first time I've seen a feeder that long, Nice gift!!
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 4, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9407945

Pied crow - and what he sees
Yellow-billed duck

Thumbnail by Little_things   Thumbnail by Little_things         

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9408109

Enjoying the pictures folks.

Here are some shots, some taken through window screen, all taken through windows. Too darned cold outside. Some sunshine would also be very welcome. LOL Just like everyone else. Wishing for warmth. Then complain when it gets too hot.

Here is a female cardinal; a white breasted nuthatch; the odd couple, LOL; a RB woodpecker twice.

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 4, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9408129

This is our little brown wren, he stays here more often than he used to, the only problem I have now is the crackles, they are crazy about the hot pepper suet. But I can't keep everyone off of the suet, there is 3 of them on there now, but I have never seen the wren on the suet before, this was the first time.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9408229

I took these pictures mostly to capture the Purple finches. Not great pics of them, they are too quick. Or is it that I'm too slow, haha.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 1:51 PM

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9408330

Mockingbird; Cardinal and Downy.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9408594

Nice pics everyone! With 100 posts, time to go on to Volume 449, a volunteer to start it please!

Resin
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 5, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9409084

sorry, I meant to say starlings.lol!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9409686

Okay, I'll start a new: Here we go!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297159/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America