Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in your neck of the woods 2013 !!

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 147, Views: 666
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9371799

Thought I'd move us over here since we're embarking on a NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!!

:-)

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290077/#top

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 31, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9371814

Thanks "M"'

Just getting ready to call it a day but thought I'd drop in to wish everyone the very best for 2013!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 31, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9371969

Bless you all, now and in the New Year. My fondest wish & prayer is that 2013 will bring Peace, Happiness, and a Joy in life such as you have never experienced before!
Happy New Year!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 1, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9372074

Well ... it's 2013 !!
May each and every one of you find Health, Peace and Prosperity in this new year .. but .. most of all SUBLIME HAPPINESS :-)
You have all become such 'good friends', and, I cherish each of you for your diversity, but, mostly for your honesty.
We expect to 'meet' people in our lives that nourish us and provide us with the fuel to forge ahead on our journeys .. I have to say .. Betty, Susan, ViAnn, AbANN, Linda et al .. you have fed me and helped me in ways you may not be able to understand or grasp.
Just know I am thnakful to have you in my life ..

I actually STAYED up til 1230am .. the poor dogs were so confused .. MOM does NOT stay up very much past 8:30pm .. they are used to laying with me and watching me read ..
I also had a glass of champagne, have not had any alcohol for 2 years, and, I know why .. today, I have a headache, and, I think the champagne is the culprit !!

Using up EggNog today .. have found several bread/loaf recipes .. hate to throw it out .. and .. of course, I bought TWO Litres !!!

Enjoy your day .. Spiral ham today .. !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 1, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9372215

Happy New Year to all..

Wishing you all the very best for 2013..
Know that as we wish each other the very vest not always is it the outcome ... So here we come on this thread for support of our on/line Dg friends..a friendly and welcoming group of people. We share our daily routine, laughs and sadness...I too want you to know you all hold a special place inmmy life!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9372238

Happy New Year everyone.

A bit of a lazy morning. After making pancakes for the gang, they went sliding and I spent some time entering dates in my 2013 calendar. I have most of them in my Google calendar, but need a paper copy too. Actually, I still need to enter them in my pocket calendar.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 1, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9372278

SHOOT!! Thanks for the reminder ViAnn .. I have done my 'daily journal' binder up til March 2013, but, completely forgot to enter IMPORTANT dates (Bdays/Anniv etc) on a 2013 wall calendar. We have three, so, will have to choose the one that will be the ALPHA calendar and be put up in the kitchen.
A task for this afternoon. At present I am DEChristmasing the house .. seems to take hours to do it pre the 25th, and , so fast to put away !

Feels like a Sunday to me ... since it's a holiday day, I think I'll look up some laundry ^-^

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 1, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9372306

Seeing its a bit too hot outside I'm in while the girls go playing at the pool, so will try quilting with that new sewing machine making sure it works before heading home.

But I could follow your example "m" and do laundry.

Imagine 22 years has passed as of 11:48 tonight that roger passed on..so keeping busy is a must..always get teary eyed through the day..one can almost recall what went on hour by hour on this day..

Off to play

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 1, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9372342

(((((((Betty))))))))) Holding you in love, and tenderness, on this day as on all days...
Marilyn - thank you so much for the sentiments. As you said, and I agree, you have no idea how much your words mean to me... they touch me deeply...
I won't name all who have touched my heart, as I fear to miss anyone, and you ALL are deep in my heart and prayers. With Grateful Thankfulness - I love you all!

siiiiiiiigh found out yesterday that yet another of the plants in the sanctuary is gone - the large Christmas cactus. And of course the brass plant stand. Bob looked all through the church and in the garbage cans in case, like the two ferns, it was thrown away. Nada. The cactus had been there for many years, and bloomed beautifully. It was there on Christmas Eve, but not New Year's Eve during the day. This now brings to a total of items gone from the church since last May:

Memorial plaque mostly filled with people's names in Living or Loving memorial;
2 large ferns & brass plant stands
1 large Christmas cactus & brass plant stand
1 "box step" for a short person to stand at the podium to say scriptures
1 stand for the Bible on communion Sunday when we need to move the Bible off the communion table
1 set of musical notes decorations for the choir to put on the tree
2 windows' sets of curtains from the downstairs hall (There are 17 windows, with 3 panels per window, and now two are missing curtains)

My feeling is that someone is suffering from dementia and taking these things. I feel badly for them. One other Board member says I'm seeing "pie in the sky" when I worry about this person, rather than getting upset they're "stealing" from the church. I try to live the Lord's way, and I will still worry, although I am distressed someone is feeling they need to take things from the church for whatever reason...
Please help me pray for this person(s).

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 2, 2013
3:51 AM

Post #9372929

Betty .. please accept my hug as well .. memories, although good, can, at times, make us sad ..

Susan, sounds as though you might need to set up some kind of a surveillance camera to catch the culprit. Stealing is stealing .. who knows, it could be someone off the street just being malicious .. it'd be nice to know one way or another so a course of action could be decided upon.

As always .. it's COLD here .. off to town early to have the dogs groomed .. then off to meet a friend with a Westie .. first time meeting with our 2 and theirs .. ought to be a situation !! LoL Will try for a pic or two :-)

ViAnn .. ended up taking me the better part of 90 minutes to transfer the 'events etc' from the 2012 calendar to the 2013 .. never realized what a tedious task it could be. BUT .. it is done !!!

Made pea soup after supper last night, left it in the slow cooker overninght .. looks good this morning .. supper is taken care of !!!

Off I go .. slow and steady

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 2, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9373133

Morning all,

80 here, sure hate the thought of heading north tomorrow, oh well, got to go home sometime.maybe next year I'll spend the winter..who knows.

Think I might go to Joann's, pick up a few last minute things..have to mail a package to Mexico

Pea soup sounds yummy and warms the body..might make a batch when I get home

Well if I'm going road running best I get above on

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 2, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9373350

Safe travels home Betty ...

The 'dog visit' went well! It was a bit tense the first few moments, but, after that the 3 Westies settled down .. took 8 pics, only TWO turned out properly .. there was so much action :-)
Duchess, the Westie we visited, is not groomed (owners choice) so, the pic of her shows a long coat, but, she is sure a cutie :-)

Won't be long out of bed .. was up at 6am !!! Tomorrow it's off to see the prosthetist for Lorna .. another adjustment to her prosthesis .. I think she may be on road to her FINAL leg .. I had thought this was her final, but, apparently not ..

Went to Sears, have decided on the fridge and freezer .. will likely go in tomorrow and have it ordered .. have to have the cupboards moved up at least 5.5inches .. not happy about that, but, gotta do it .. step stool time.

Busy days ahead .. am hoping 2013 slows down a bit !!

~M~

1 pic is Duchess, the hostess of the party :-)
2 pic .. the 3 Westies ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 2, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9373468

Marilyn - it has to be someone who has a key to the church. Couldn't afford a surveillance camera... but maybe one of the "fake" ones... hmmmmmmm

awwwwww puppies are so cute! Love the pic of Duchess!!

Betty - how long are you taking to return? Hope it's a nice, safe, and leisurely drive.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 3, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9373850

Susan .. at least that 'narrows down' the list of 'suspects'. Course, could be someone got hold of a set of keys from someone ?

Windy morning, which means a chilly day .. headlines of todays paper speaks of our lack of snow and the price the ski hills and snow mobiling clubs are paying. Memebrships are way down. Who would have thought that would EVER happen in NWestern Ontario !

Have a great day

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9374178

Susan- sad if someone is steeling those things from your church. Is it wide open during the day? My church is unlocked only if there are activities going on though the secretary can see the front entrance from her office - also has a buzzer to open the one door that our fobs open. But if she's there alone, it's safer for all if the place is locked and there have been thefts in the past though not since security measures were put in place. Is there any possibility that the missing items have just been relocated?

Surveillance cameras help, as do windows. At our church, the biggest issue is kids from the high school across the street doing drugs in the darker spots. Mind you, the entire back parking lot is now rented out in the daytime and that doesn't leave a lot of space for the kids. And after the renovation, there are windows back there too.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 3, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9374490

YAHOO!!!!!
I finally made my choice, and, on Jan 16 my new ALL fridge, and Upright freezer will arrive .. hopefully FULLY intact and WORKING LoL
Been quite the 2 month battle of the mind over the 'space' .. Gord is still not convinced the units will look OK .. I tend to be more positive ..
We'll see ..

After I posted this morning, I turned the radio on on heard that TBAY is hosting over 300 Cross Country skiers for Canadian Championships .. so .. I guess the bad news pertains to just down hill skiers and the snow sleders ...

Best get a shuffle on

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 3, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9374609

Our church is locked even when the secretary is there. Only open when there are events on. This isn't when the items are going missing.
Windows aren't an issue. These items seem to go missing in the evening, so it's not the elementary school next door.
People assure us they don't lend their keys out.
Anyway, enough about the church - I feel it will be what it will be...

Well, time to get ready for choir practice!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9374615

I just got back from bell practice, but there won't be choir practice until next week. Wasn't gonna have a bell practice either until we have three snowstorms in 8 days. Decided if we could get one in, it would be one in the bag in case we have to cancel later in January. We've got some challenging music coming up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHPkY0IVgIY We are using the optional oboe with it too.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 3, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9374759

Wow VAnn... I love that piece! What's the name of it?
As a former bell director, I know how difficult that piece would be to learn. An oboe, too? yikes!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 4, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9375309

Hope Betty likes coming home to snow ...
Thing is, it's the WIND .. blowing at a quick pace here, bout blew me and my shopping cart across the Safeway parking lot, had I let go of said cart I am sure it would have crashed into someones car !!!

Took the vehicle to a new car wash to wash it .. will be going back for sure .. it's a 'do it yourself', but, not one where you feel forced to rush.
Even got to wash the floor mats, they were majorly groddy ..

Read in the paper that several folks have been 'duped' in a computer scam. Beats me how anyone would allow a phonecaller to access their computer. The caller accesses/ghosts, your computer .. proceeds to LOCK up your computer and then asks you for your charge card number in order to UNlock it, once you do that .. poof, they are gone, but, they still have access to your computer ..

Making sandwiches for a funeral reception tomorrow, best get at it as they'll be picked up in a few hours

Toodles

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 5, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9376170

Uggggggg ...
Took the meds last night as required, but, this week, well .. not feeling so well .. rumbly tummy and kinda tired ..
BUT .. am cooking a lasagna and a beef stroganoff for tomorrow, having company.
Just Murray and family, he and wife Alison will be moving the one set of kitchen cupboards up to accomadate the new appliances.

Jumped on to see if Betty had made it back to Canada ..

Enjoy your weekend

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 5, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9376423

Marilyn - don't know why someone would allow to be duped that way, but it takes all kinds...
Betty is back home, safe & sound.
having company tomorrow sounds good - as long as you don't overdo!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 5, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9376450

Waving to all,

Got home this afternoon, thought I'd rest, that lasted 5 minutes..

Trying to de-Christmas the house because I want to play with my new sewing machine tomorrow..left all my summer clothes in Florida because I'm going back next month, only had travelling clothes to wash..that is done!

Sorry to hear meds are playing havoc with you 'M'.know you feel you must get ready for the new appliances but got to look after you first.

Susan, are you up to no good today? Lol. Bet you are not

Back to the tree and a coffee

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 5, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9376588

I'm de-Christmasing my home too, Betty. I'm doing good stuff today... so tired though.
I finally got to sleep in for once - 9:30 this am!!
My neighbour called me over today to give me something. She had given me a purse in Oct, and kept the wallet and change purse that went with it. Today she gave me the wallet & change purse.
While I was there they also gave me some Ganoderma "coffee beverage" - 2 of Mocha, and of Latte, plus a "black coffee". I like Ganoderma, so that's good!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 6, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9376911

Welcome back Betty. Good to see you made it home all in one piece :-)

I am really my OWN worst enemy in the meds dept. I SHOULD have had a REST day on Saturday, but, I pushed the envelope. Only ME to blame.

I 'think' the house is finally 'de-Christmased', having said that i think I'll round a corner and spy an angel or so garland LoL
Yesterday I went into one of the bathrooms and realized the Xmas hand towels and soap were still out.

Going to be A day here .. am so torn about moving UP these cupboards in the kitchen, but, it HAS to be done, just hope it's an easy move!

Enjoy your Sunday

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9376918

The XMAS towels are the lurkers that you will find later. Well, Epiphany party is over, we'll take the tree down this afternoon.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9377016

Mornimg, which one of you lovely ladies sent the snow my way??

Wasn't ready for it...

Snowing like crazy, Greg and Kyle will be thrilled, hard going yesterday as the trails needed another foot or so, bet they have it today.

Even though I took little out this year it seems everywhere I go to dust I find something that needs to be put away

Yikes, two weeks of dust, one wouldn't think there would be any but there was.

Township plow just went by, not sure when my plow,an will be here, might have to go shovel, NOT looking forward to that. Drats, have to give him $600 for the winter season...always seems someone has their hand out

"m" shaking my finger, sit and rest, you know you must so no fighting it or you shall pay later

Dust is calling me

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 6, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9377108

Betty .. I found out what caused MY dust problem .. I needed to change the filter in the furnace !!!
WOW .. it was pretty much occluded with DUST .. hadn't changed it since OCTOBER !!
So, now I have it marked on the calendar to change it the last day of every month.

SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! We SO need it. Lorna's parents are getting it as well, they had to cancel the bridge party they were hosting this afternoon.
It is bitterly cold here .. in the -20s with wind chill, supposedly HEATING up to a balmy -5C during the week sometime.
The only winter sport 'making the grade' is Cross Country skiing.
Do so hope your plough guy shows up and does a good job. If we use the farm fellow here he charges by the plough out ..but, now Lorna has her machine, and she does it.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9377501

Stopped snowing around noon, wet snow, bit more than a foot. Township plow put about 2' at the entrance, thank goodness Andrew now waits till they've passed otherwise he would have to come back.

Had to pay him today $600 for the season...ouch but I'd never be able to shovel or snowblower so I'd better stop crying. He had such a smile, said he was about to go find my son..said he'd been here over past 3 weeks and no signs of life, car hadn't moved either..someone told him a Mrs Pauze (Roger's mom) had died and he was starting to think it might be me. He drove in saw the car had been cleaned and moved and then I came out. He said he didn't think I'd been ill . Told him I've aches and pains bu still around. Lol

Doesn't take much snow to cripple the city.

Did the cupboards get moved?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 6, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9377519

WHEW .. cupboards are moved WAY up to the ceiling, and look awesome there, took Murray and Alison all of an hour to complete the task .. now I can move my present fridge out and clean under it!!

Betty, nice the fellow was concerned about you .. and I do remember you saying Roger's Mom had passed away, so I guess he would have been wondering ..
Just can't fathom the fact you have gotten so much snow, and, I do believe ViAnn may have as well .. my nephew in Mntrl is out shoveling again !!
We are expecting RAIN this week !!

Off to watch a couple of episodes of Criminal Minds, love watching the Seanon DVDs with NO COMMERCIALS !!!

Hope everyone has a super upcoming week, and, anyone of Ukrainian heritage .. enjoy the celebrations leading up to your Xmas :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9377614

Was just thinking "M" that I'm following family tradition today, being Little Christmas" in putting Christmas away!

Hard to believe you are getting rain while I'm getting snow..something wrong with the picture.

Glad all went well with the cupboards..you never know what can go wrong doing such a project. Hear your minds at work again, remember you are suppose to be resting.

Time to call it a day..work tomorrow..yikes, don't know how I'll do sitting all day..best I not forget my painkillers.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9378120

Hope your day is going well for you Betty .. I am now SURE all the Christmas stuff is packed away .. watered house plants today and saw no ornaments or bric a brac anywhere :-)

Took 90% of the 'bric a brac' OFF the fridge today though. My gosh how it accumulates, and, the thing is, it never actually LOOKED cluttered to me until I got the manets pics etc OFF .. now it looks wonderful !!
Have ANOTHER 'conundrum' happening .. 1) do I put the fridge on KIJIJI and try to sell it) 2) Do I go with the Ontario Power Authority and have them pick it up.
I called the OPA this morning, the fridge meets all the requirements .. BUT .. she couldn't give me a SOLID date that it would be picked up !! And, when I pushed for what month they were booking into, she told me to call back tomorrow !!!
I sure don't want the old fridge standing in the garage for a month or more !!! This is telling me that OPA has probably got one contractor per region picking up these fridges for recycling.

Planning on going out on the Mule this afternoon for a little ride about .. wind has come up, but, the temp gauge still reads +1C !!!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9378158

"M" was caught up by 11am and ready to play..am going to marry my painting and sewing skills into a quilt..if it turn out I'll make a few as christmas gifts...it's coming you know lol

has 3 strips of morning glories so now I sit at work tracing onto material and tomorrow will bring in paints..

I would put on Craigslist or Kijijji as there are many out there who aren't able to purchase new appliances and is in need of one...even if you say 'free to good home' it will save you the worry of getting rid of it.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 7, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9378754

Bettypauze wrote:I'll make a few as christmas gifts...it's coming you know lol

AHEM!! It's WHAT??????? no no no no no!!!!!!!!!! Don't DO that to me... siiiiiiiiigh

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
3:22 AM

Post #9378836

Morning..

Susan, tell me that when all of a sudden it's upon us. Lol

Cold out there this morning, calling for warmer temps over the next few day..not good for winter enthusiasts. My boys will be upset for sure if the rain they are calling for arrives..not enough snow for good riding as it is.

Off and running

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 8, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9378864

Susan .. like it or not, 'IT' will arrive WAY too fast, yet again ..
Am going to endeavour to try and buy gifts throughout the year, instead of 2 months or 6 weeks before ..

Another mild day here .. +6C expected .. am headed for town for some running around.

Got my booking for my MRI in the mail. 6am on Jan. 25/13, NOT looking forward to it, and WILL be taking some sedation prior to it. Am going to call the dept to see if my head will have to be enclosed in the machine for an MRI on my hip. I am hoping NO .. mind, the bone scan was very enclosed for about 15 minutes, and I was fine .. have NO clue why I have, of a sudden, become so claustrophobic !!

Best get a move on, hope everyone has a good day :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9378892

Glad you got the appointment so soon "M"

Have no idea either but twice I've had it recently, once in the MRI (doubt I'd go again) and then in Buffalo before Christmas, vehicle was packed, I wasn't well, girls went in while I stayed in the car, hear doors lock and windows/door wouldn't open and I freaked out..never had it before..hmm what is with that.

I'm on that mission as well with Christmas...Suzanne and I agreed that we'd make the effort each payday to put $50 in envelope and put it in the safe. Yesterday we remembered so today I'll put the $50 for last week as I wasn't here..if I made and bought here and there how easy it would be come November/December. I had 3 Christmas quilt tops ready to quilt so as soon as I get back into a routine I'll get them done. Also enought fabric for placemat sets..need something to keep me busy.

Dropped into Walmart this a.m. for fabric medium for paints, have a room filled with paints at home and would you believe no fabric medium, almost did the happy dance when I found one but it was thick and dry..drats

Now I'm on a mission once I eat the pancakes I picked up lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 8, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9379429

I am only thinking positively re the MRI .. if I don't, I won't go I'm sure ..
I hear ya re the 'claustrophobia' dilemma Betty, danged if I know what the heck happened.

Finding the fabric medium and then having it been DRY, well, not good.

Good idea re the $50./payday .. I TRY to do something like that, seems I get a tidy sum amassed , and, POOF, I need to 'borrow' from the Xmas Fund LOL ..

Busy day in the city .. got some good deals at Shoppers Drug mart though :-)

Take care all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 8, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9379530

I'm going to do the "Santa's Choice" thing this year - $15/week, and if we can't do it, we simply call and they put a hold on the withdrawals until we call again. One year I had to do that in August, and they still sent such a lovely hamper, based on what we wanted.

It's not claustrophobia, but I don't like going into office buildings "back stairs" cuz I've been "caught" in the stairway, and with the cement walls and steel doors no one can hear you if you can't get back to the floor... When it happened, I freaked out. Was on the 17th floor, and forgot my "swipe" to get back in...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9379827

I tend to think this 'feeling of fear' is caused by not being IN CONTROL of our surroundings ?
Like Susan, you feel you are trapped with no recourse. In her case it's the swipe card, and, with the MRI it's the fact others are making YOUR decisions.
Have heard from a few other folks, apparently my head will be OUT .. !!!

We got snow overnight! MAYBE an inch, but, temps to be +6C again ..

Cupboard cleaning time today .. at least I think so ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 9, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9379905

Good for you "M" now you'll not be fretting.

The next 3 or 4 days will have March weather then back to winter weather by next week.

Didn't sleep half the night and now I'm ready for a nap..keeping myself extra busy painting on the quilt strips, ought to take me a week or so.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9380374

WHOOSH !!!!!!! Quite the day here .. W I N D Y ~~~ 70kph winds, but, we went out and pruned some apple trees .. best time to do it as no disease can penetrate the cuts .. did 2 trees, only 5 left !!!
The dogs and cat had the best idea though (see attached pictures ) !!

Absolutely LOVE the Morning Glories !!! Wonderful job Betty

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS         

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 9, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9380455

Now that is spoilt..life of Riley for sure.
Do you think it's the same for all fruit trees "M". Hadn't thought of pruning at this time of year.

Winds are strong here as well..amazed that with mild temps, winds just how much the snow has compacted. Decided Sunday I wasn't strong enough, re back to shovel the walkway and deck out in front, anyone that comes anyway uses Bach entrances, well glad I didn't because with these temps it's all but clear.

Kyle was over to tell me all about his trip to the Dominican..they sure did enjoy their time.

As for the morning glories I painted 1 yesterday, 6 today, 22 left, hoping I don't lose interest or that once done I will not like it.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9380740

OH Betty, the Morning Glories are just SO pretty :-)
A wonderful choice, and, blue is calming.

Lorna says pruning in winter keeps disease and bugs at bay .. she pruned (hard pruned) non producing apple trees 4 years ago, and, last year we were giving their fruit away !!

Good to hear your snow has gone ..

Murray and family head for the Dominican in Feb. they can hardly wait, have been before, but, are going for a longer time this year.

Winds have gone here .. a bit cooler, but, a high of +6C expected ..

Piper is on the window bench behind me snoring away, Lilly is in her 'bun' in front of the woodstove with Smokey in his bun beside her .. life of Riley for sure :-)

Enjoy your day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9380836

Morning,

Actually feels colder here in the office than outside..called maintenance to come and check re heat..usually use a micro heater but it bit the dust and just when I need it. Sitting here with jacket on.

You will never believe what I did, not worrying about turning 65 on March 2nd, means I'm a few months older than I am now but this morning while searching for my 407 ETR bill I found a letter from Old Age Security saying I hadn't applied as yet and time was at a premium so brought it in, filled it out and will go to post office on my lunch hour and post it special delivery..what a thing to forget.

Am sure your family will enjoy their holiday, know Greg and family did..I think of everything they could have bought with the $$$ they spent, payment for 1/2 a car etc. but sometimes you just cannot think that way.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9381126

Good luck with the OAS, have heard their pretty fast though, perhaps 6 weeks ?

So hoping Murray and family will have a good time .. they are bringing school supplies and clothing for a school somewhere .. they are travelling with 2 other couples and their children as well, so, they'll be seeing a different side of the Dominican Republic, worries me a bit. Murray has such a big heart and a trusting nature, would hate to see him get duped by someone.

Well .. i HAD to take some pics today, BEFORE we get out HUGE snowfall (Have looked everywhere online to SEE it, but, nadda)
The pics tell our NO snow tale.
It was 45F outside this afternoon !!
My brother has a home on the shores of Lake Superior and tells me the Lake is WIDE open !!! Unreal for January ..
I am keeping my fingers crossed we just get a LITTLE snow !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9381253

Yikes "M" we have more snow than you but not by much, am sure after the weekend with them calling for rain and springlike temps that will be the end of it until a cold spell moves in..sooo odd.

Not much more than 3" of ice near shoreline, imagine the ice fisherman are bringing in their huts, snowmobile trails closed, my kids are not happy campers. Lol

Well I figure that I wouldn't get pension during my birthday month so that gives them an extra month. Doesn't really matter as my OMERS pension and OAS signed a deal so both will be reduced..got to tell you, doesn't seem fair, no vote just signing by executives and government officials. Only real benefit will be some of my meds will be paid for.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9381377

Oh Betty - I forgot - you're a Pisces too!
Bob is March 6th, and I'm March 11th! Remember how the last 2 years members of our church got together (all the Pisces/March babies that is) and had a birthday party at the Community Club Pub?
It was so much fun!! We have 6 of us!! And a couple wanna-be's LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9381399

Omg, just saw the news, were saying somewhere on the East coast of Canada a dam broke, showing a van on the street that sits with water to top of windows, thank goodness they say no casualties..

Yep, we're Pisces babies..lol

How is work going for you and Bob?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 10, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9381626

Bob likes his job, and it's nice we go to work at same time.
I have 3 more weeks, but they haven't interviewed anyone yet. Who knows... maybe I'm still in the running, but I will NOT get my hopes up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm determined not to...!
I will enjoy the job while I have it :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9381733

Morning,

Just about to have my coffee, raining, need to go to back shed but must wait for daylight. Funny how Christmas keeps popping up in every room, that I had everything and now I need another tote.

Just deleted everything on outlook express from when I left for Florida to now on both my laptop and home computer, ready now to work from home..guess it will be a sewing day lol

No big plans for the weekend, SIL Linda says she might come early tomorrow morning to work on her rag quilt..nothing like teaching someone to sew and they want to do a big project to start with..I'm sure she will do fine..other than that, nada, not a thing..just plain old relaxation!

Glad Susan that Bob likes his job and here is hoping that they keep you on..you both deserve a break.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9381743

My DH is also a Pisces - Feb. 25.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 11, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9381771

Susan .. nice to hear the jobs are liked and still continuing ..

Everything is on HOLD here .. had freezing rain overnight, the teachers (elementary) were to 'walk out' today, but that is now cancelled, so, as you can imagine, it's a completely CONFUSING day in TBAy .. folks have gotten sitters etc, but, the Minister of Education has said a fine of $2000. PER teacher will be levied if they walk out!!
That said, the weather has closed rural schools .. listening to the radio for updates is a real challenge to say the least .. so many road closures/school closures/day care facilities not avaiable .. glad I don't have anyone in school .. my son is trying to sort it all out as Brooklyn goes to Public high school, and, Austin goes to a Catholic Elementary school ..
All I know is I was supposed to go into town to sit with a hospice client having a couple of blood transfusions, and, I'm going to have to RE think that ..

TGIF everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9381786

Well ViolaAnn, he's in good company then.

"M" no freezing rain here, thankfully...coming down at a heavy pace though..I went to back shed to get totes to fill and set back on the shelves that were made this fall and while carrying them I said to myself 'self, and now you wonder why you have a bad back' aren't we hard on ourselves..

Can you reschedule "M"

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 11, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9382117

Well .. I did go in to the hospital and sit with the lady, but, i gotta tell ya, it was a horrible drive into the city!
I am a 20 minutes drive from the hospital, it took me 40 minutes due to the slippery and treacherous conditions.
I thought about turning back several times, but felt it would be unsafe .. the ONLY good thing was the fact that there were NO school buses on the roads !!
Once I got to the hospital all was well, and I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 hours of chit chat with my client .. a younger woman fighting breast cancer .. had lots to talk about, AND, she is a crafter, so Betty, your quilt you're making was right up her alley. She had not heard of painting the material and has conjured up a few templates she would like to look for.

The roads were better on the way back, but, I can imagine if this rain freezes (which it will) it is going to be horrifying.
BUT, at least the 30cm of snow predicted will skirt us YAYAYAYA ..

Off to play a game of cards

~M~

PS .. my friend Nat pulled a muscle in her forearm lifitng up a Xmas tote !!! That was on Jan. 2 and she is still suffering !!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 11, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9382148

Sorry you had to deal with bad roads but am sure you got such gratification out of spending time with the young woman..will include her in my prayers..hope she will overcome this!

How cute you speaking of my interests with her...can you provide me with her address, do you think she would object to getting a card??

my work shift is over, have a few more totes to bring back, know I shouldn't but do want it done before this spring like weather turns to winter blizzards then I'll kick myself for not doing so.

If I weren't so lazy I'd get dressed and go next door to pick up a meal of some kind but not likely to happen lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 11, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9382237

Terri is a wonderful lady .. she's about 35 I'd guess .. if I see her again (I was a fill in) I will ask re the card.
She comes into TBay from an outlying small town a few hours away by car.
She had chemo last week and her white blood cells fell,ergo the blood transfusion which always perks her up. We never actually speak of her prognosis, and that's fine by me .. she is a 'forward and positive' thinker, has a 5 year old daughter and her husband is such a great guy .. personally, I think she is doing very well ..
As I said, unsure of when I'll see her next, must see if she has an email address.

Grilled cheese sandwiches here tonight .. this darned rain has made soup and a sandwich seem like a full course supper .. the backyard is just FULL of water .. the dogs are NOT too thrilled with that .. Piper went booting out the back door a bit ago and before anyone could warn him he was KERSPLASH in the puddle, lucky Lilly had hung back a bit ..

Lorna won one vard game, and I won the other, so everyone is happy :-)

Enjoy your evening

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9382307

ok - loving my job (they're giving me more stuff to do, in line with my skillset), and the HR rep is "short listing" for the position. They ended the posting today.
IN THE MEANTIME... I'm got an interview with another company (6 blocks from where I am now...), also Oil & gas, and a 3 person office - President/CEO, and VP of Engineering. I would be their one and only admin support - I Like That...! And when they're travelling, I would need to find things to do when it's quiet in the office.
Here's the company: http://www.panafricanoil.ca/
I would start doing 3 days/week, until it picked up a little and I got the job permanently - not bad!

Anyway - heading out soon. Got a restaurant gift cert for Christmas from my DD & DSILfor dinner out, and Bob & I are going to go out for dinner :-)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9382456

Susan - I hope one of those jobs works out to be exactly what you want for a long term. Have to admit, I get slightly dizzy trying to keep track of what job you are currently in.

Marilynne - people were a bit confused here about whether the kids had school or not too. In the end, the schools agreed to occupy any kids who were dropped off, but they weren't really having classes as the buses had been cancelled and all ... My DGtwins are in the separate system; so weren't affected.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 11, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9382468

lol VAnn... you outta try living my dizzy life!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9382551

Morning all,

Could almost put on shorts..

Did a clean up in craft room this morning before my company comes, one should have been here by now, running 1/2 hr late...I just could not believe how much snow we've lost..I then came inside and saw the blizzard in Newfoundland, omg they are getting it all!!

Susan, did you enjoy your meal out, any meal I don't have to cook I enjoy..

ViolaAnn, you gave me my first chuckle of the day. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9382570

I tend to think that the repercussions from yesterday 'education fiasco', at least here in TBay, are going to be far reaching.
The teachers WERE to man picket lines, but then tried to call it off due to the order by the Minister of Education. In the meantime, Mother Nature superceded everyone by dropping mega amounts of rainy and causing school closures due to poor driving conditions. It was a real guessing game, and, I know a lot of parents were caught having to call in sick to stay home with their children.

Susan .. one thing about your employment, it's NEVER boring !!! Hope dinner was great :-)

Betty, anything special on the craft table today? Is it quilts ?
It's balmy here, and wet, but, a grand plummet in temps is expected this afternoon, leaving us in the deep freeze (-19C overnight)
Took my meds last evening, and, NOT feeling all that well :-(
This is the third dose, tummy is queasy and my head is just not tacked on right .. a good day to do the minimum of whatever ..

Enjoy your day

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 12, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9382670

Marilyn - I could do with a little more... boring... in my life. I envy those who, when asked about their life, say "same old thing"... My life is a roller coaster of everything.

Right now I'm learning how to make a banner of my own, in the other room lol
I want to do a special one for Dorothy... siiiiiiigh

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 12, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9382679

oh, as to the dinner - nothing special. Went to Swiss Chalet, and we sat under an a/c vent going full blast... poor Bob was freezing, and when we told the waitress she said "The door was opened". Yes, it was cold outside - minus 15c, but we weren't anywhere near the door. He finally had to put on his outer coat (and he was wearing a flannel shirt, anyway!).
Took forever to get seated, our order, and then Bob went out to heat up the car and I finally had to sit down while waiting to pay...
Food was decent, but nothing special. Bob hardly spoke during the meal at all, cuz he was so uncomfortable.
The booth we were at was so small, anyone bigger than I would have a terrible time getting in... cramped... Even slender Bob had trouble getting seated. Obviously they were trying to get as many seats in a finite space as they could.
Don't think we'll be going there again...
Plus side - we didn't get an expensive dinner, so have over 1/2 of the gift cert to go to one of the other restaurants on it! :-)
AND we still have 2 gift certs for us to go to the movies!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 12, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9383205

Evening all...finally settled myself down for the night, had a great day with the
girls. I did not sew, was overseer today. Lol

Linda did a rag quilt and Rita did tops for 12 placemats..think had she not got called home early due to unexpected accompany she would have finished them.

Reached 54 here today..imagine. I would think we might have broken a record..must listen to the news and see.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get my hair cut, go to home depot..want woos cut for a cutting turntable, wood for base for an ironing pad..if I succeed in doing so I will be thrilled with weekend accomplishments.

Monday I will get back to my sewing/ painting project...

This education fiasco is getting out of hand. Don't know what the answer is.

Sorry Susan that your evening out wasn't the best...who has A/C on at this time of year?

Pain meds starting to make me drowsy so saying

Night/night all

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 13, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9383395

Betty .. good to hear the craft day went well :-), and 54F, really unheard of .. we had those temps for 2 days and sent them to you LoL
NOW.. we're back to frigid !! No snow though, were to have rec'd 30cm, got maybe 70 flakes !!

Susan .. last summer we took Lorna's folks to Swiss Chalet on a very warm day, and, were seated right under an AC vent .. same thing, it was wonderful for a few minutes, but then it became annoying. We told the waiter, he tried to have it dealt with, but, never did .. I tend to think these thermostats in places like Swiss Chalet must have to be adjusted by a manager who has been told NOT to adjust them ?
As long as the meal was good, I guess that makes up for it.

Still feeling kinda crummy, head is woozy (ish) .. given the other side effects though, I'll take this one ..

Off to do some laundry, slowly !!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 13, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9384140

unfortunately the waitress did not try to adjust it, and her poor service meant "no tip"! The food was, at best, decent. My hairdresser, and another one, said they would never frequent this particular Swiss Chalet restaurant because of the food...
Anyway, it was a night out... I always enjoy this time with my DH!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 13, 2013
10:11 PM

Post #9384155

Early morning ,

Going through this no sleep thing again..
Listening to the rain, almost hearing a chunk of ice hit against the wndow, here is hoping it turns to snow...feeling bad for ski lodges, ice hut fishermen and snowmobilers.

"M' you have been feeling better since taking the meds, at least you seem to be getting back into a daily outine, just too bad you have to contend with side effects..when is the new appliance coming in?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9384281

Seems that I have symptoms as I take the doses. First 2 Fridays, nothing really, but, now that the methotrexate is IN my system, I am having this 'dizzy head' thing for a day or 2. It's manageable though.

Appliances arrive on Wednesday 'sometime', between 8am and 4pm .. I usually get a call about an hour before they arrive ..
Pulled the old fridge out yesterday, lordie, dusty under there or what !! Anyway, it's all cleaned up, and, on KIJIJI, I never did get any satisfaction at all with the Ontario Power Authority coming to pick it up and take it away and recycle it. No one would give me a date for the fridge to be picked up. Not even a MONTH !! I sure don't want the fridge hanging around.
Kind of excited, but, feeling kind of stressed re removing everything from the old fridge .. it's SO cold out everything would freeze if placed in boxes outside .. I guess most of it can go into the other fridge in the garage ...
Gonna be interesting ..

Lorna has a late afternoon docs appt, and, since Gord is off to a meeting around 6pm, Lorna and I are going to go to Swiss Chalet for supper .. since it's the ONLY one in TBay I'm sure it'll be OK .. have been there a couple of other times, and, except for the A/C thing last summer, all was OK.

C O L D here !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9384303

Was -2 coming in, am sure quite a bit cooler as the winds are just a howling.

You'll enjoy the new model "M"' don't you think as we age changes put us in a flutter.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9384523

Susan - you need to contact the manager and tell him/her exactly why you won't be returning to the restaurant. If they hear that from enough people, they will start to do something about it. I believe the facts show that for everyone who actually complains there are many more who just take it.

For me, I'm about to contact McDonalds head office about the local outlet - new building, only a couple of years old. It has rebranded itself as a McCafe and offers a senior price on coffee which is actually better than the coffee at the Tim's next door. BUT there is only ONE disabled parking spot. And they've been lax on snow removal for it. First, there should be at least two. Secondly, people shouldn't be at risk trying to get out of their cars. Last Tuesday, one friend who qualified for the spot parked farther out in the parking lot because she couldn't get out of her car.

I complained to staff at the restaurant and they tried to put blame on property management. As I was complaining, another lady (not part of our group) spoke up and said that she was actually parked there and fell trying to get out of her car.

On Thursday, it was the same. I asked for the name of their property management and was told that I had been given wrong information on Tuesday and that they were responsible and the next time I came, the spot would be shoveled out. WELLL, we did a drive by yesterday (after 2 days of real warm weather). The snow was reduced, but only from melting. The rest of it was still there.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 11:16 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9384527

Think ViolaAnn too many of us do same, rather than complain we just say oh-well and the service/food remains the same..

How have the temps in your neck of the woods been?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9384595

My 'BUG A BOO' to the max is the lack of SAFE access to handicap parking spots. Trust me, many letters to the editor, talks with property managers, and, I have discoverd that the world is filled with people who are SO amazing at pointing a finger at SOMEONE ELSE !! Maddening. I have even written and spoken with one of our MPPs. He was 'looking into it' Hmmmmmmmmmm .. that was LAST year!!
Today we will go to Lorna's docs appt. There are about 8 handicap spots, usually ALWAYS filled even without the sticker in the window.
And, I would imagine, slippery conditions. I carry my own container of sand in the SUV now ..

Last blueberry pie of the season made this morning, no more berries left ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9384620

Now you have my mouth watering..

I'd be calling management to have them removed if no sticker.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9384980

Went to Swiss Chalet for an early supper .. we were the only people in there (4pm) awesome service, and, when we left, we were shown a website to access to take part in a survey with regards to 'out experience .. Susan, did you receive one ? It's on the receipt.

Talk about a BANNER day re parking/appts and traffic .. we were 20 minutes early for her appt, and, they took her right away. We got a very nicely sanded handicap parking spot, and, the traffic in the city was very light !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 14, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9385016

Wow, got to love those days!

I've already had bath, pain meds and laying on a heating blanket..so much for being energetic.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 14, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9385209

I just put a terrible review re: Swiss Chalet on TripAdvisor.
Thanks for mentioning it, VAnn!
We don't keep receipts (we can see what we spent on our online banking) cuz we don't want extra paper. So, I don't have the survey... shame, because it would have been good to give feedback.
When I got my hair cut Saturday, and said we'd gone to Swiss Chalet, the other hairdresser said she wouldn't go to the one we went to cuz she thought it's where she got food poisoning... At that point she didn't know which one we went to...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9385965

Have been into town and back, coffee with friends and then lunch with colleagues .. boy, is it cold with that darned north wind !!
We are 'sipposedly' in line for snow, I don't even pay much attention anymore. Have started to refer to the Weather Channel as the "Whatever Channel', had I listened to them last weekend, we should have still been out shoveling!
Gordon bought 5 bails of straw to put on the septic field for insulation. In 25 years we have never had to do THAT !!

Akk .. food poisoning at Swiss Chalet .. I hope your hairdresser reported it .. most folks won't ..

Off to the landfill site with garbage .. be still my heart !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9386077

Now there's something exciting for you to do "M", garbage site lol
Cold here as well, still sitting with my jacket, can't seem to warm up..think I'll be sitting in the tub adding boiling water when I get home.
my life is exciting as yours, tonight I get to play t.v. bingo

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9386436

~M~ I don't know if she reported it or not. Was another hairdresser/associate of my hairdresser, so I don't know her all that well. I hope she did, too!
btw I found the receipt from Swiss Chalet, so I filled in their comments survey... at the end they gave me a code to put on my receipt so I can get a free Soup, Salad, or Perogies when I buy another dinner. Have 22 days to use it...
I don't know if I will go to Swiss Chalet (dinners out cost $$ ya know...) but certainly will NEVER go to the one we went to the other night!
There was a place on the survey to have them call or email me regarding the survey, so I gave both my # and email... maybe a free dinner out of it? These are franchised of course, and if they're not watching the franchise well enough anything can happen!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 15, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9386599

Always amazes me, they give you freebies when already you don't want to go back..lol

"M"..photo of the project I'm working on..
Other 2 panels I'll finish up tomorrow..just put what blocks I have and panel to see how it will look when done.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 15, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9386677

LOVE IT, Betty!!! You do such beautiful work :-)

Off to have my interview tomorrow... looking forward to it.
Found out that I will not be considered for the position I'm covering now. "No chemistry" between my boss & I. Well, this makes about 5 women I've worked for and just can't seem to work successfully with them... interviewing with 2 men tomorrow lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 16, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9386833

Love the colouring on the quilt 'to be' Betty. You have done an amazing job (yet again) :-)

As predicted by me, put down the straw on the septic field, AND, the snow will arrive .. about 2 inches overnight, so, waiting til it
s a bit brighter out there to get out and clear up so Sears has a safe pathway into the house ..
Milder temps now though !!

Good you found the receipt Susan, perhaps you will get a free meal !!
Working for women is NOT easy .. I did it my whole career .. I hope your interview with the men goes well.

If I have time, and all works out well with the delivery, I'll post a pic of the appliances .. kind of nervous, but, excited as well ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9386855

Thanks "M"

And so you should be excited , love getting new appliances..bought all 5 of mne when I moved in about 7 years ago..sure hoping they don't all go at once.

-7 here this a.m. But no snow.

So much talk of the new enfluenza being. So powerful they have find nothing to fight it with..gee willikers, hope. I don't get it..

Still so much pressure in lower back area that as you were "M" fed up and more so having to take drugs just to get through the day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 16, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9387191

Geeze willikers :-)
Sears was here and gone by 8:45am !! I was shocked to say the least.
Plugged the units in around 10am and they are now functioning .. but WOW, am I going to have to get used to the MASS of them !!
The upright freezer is only a quarter full, haven't started lugging in stuff from the chest freezer outside yet.
The fridge is HUGE !!! Gosh .. have all the stuff from the old one in it, with room to spare .. but, that's what I wanted ..

Betty, living with chronic pain, or, chronic anything, is a whole lifestyle committment in and of itself .. and i DEPLORE taking analgesics .. yes, the pain is minimize, but, in some cases, my git up and go, gets up and goes !!!

The flu bug is dastardly .. know so many 'down' with it. Purell is my best friend.

Going down to -25C overnight .. BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

~M~

Put a pic of Piper in there as well .. with my lonely Poinsietta !!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS      

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 16, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9387312

Holly wow, you will have to take out a mortgage just to fill it up. Lol

Piper is just too adorable

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 16, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9387512

LoL .. we just finished supper, and as I was putting it together it was kind of surreal opening the fridge .. I plan to keep it VERY tidy.
That was my BIG complaint with the side by side .. it had NO room .. things got put in front of one another, it was a running joke about my 'mental road map' .. always ASK me first before heading into the fridge to search out something .. this new fridge has a alarm that beeps if you have the door open longer than you're supposed to .. learning curve time :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 16, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9387777

MINUS 25c?!?!?! Double Yikes!! ummmmmmmmm it's going to plus 8c tomorrow... come visit me!!

My interview this afternoon was one hour... tired afterwards, then had to walk 10 blocks to meet Bob - exhausted! I believe the interview went well. 1st one boss (Gary) for about 40 min, then 2nd boss (Phil) was introduced to me, and Gary left. Phil & I talked for 20 min. Gary & I had a good talk - he told me about the job, and I asked some great questions that he apparently appreciated. Then when Phil came in he said he wouldn't talk as long LOL They want an EA who will become an Office Manager (Great! I have my certification in Office Administration!). One said they should decide before Feb 3, and the other said maybe mid-Feb (when they come back from business trip to Africa). Gary seemed impressed (he's the CEO) and Phil (VP) seemed to play his cards closer to his vest (said they have others to interview). I told Phil I was a little disappointed to hear it may not start until mid to late Feb. Ah well, if I get the job maybe I can be extended at TransAlta (where I'm contracted now).
Anyway, I will know what I know when I know it LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 17, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9387879

Well Susan, it sounds as though the interview went well, and, as you say, you'll know when you know .. all the best ..

BRRRRRRRRRRRR .. am less than impressed with the drop in temps .. -34C with the windchill and we are about to head into the city for appts. Glad the SUV is INSIDE the garage !! Still, it'll need to be warmed up.

Hope everyone has a super day.. stay warm

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 17, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9388810

it got to plus 8c today... and then it froze... SO slippery in the church parking lot that one of the other choir lent me his hand to inch across... glare ice over the snow!

I heard today (from the agency) that the company is looking at 3 other candidates for the job.
I just finished typing a Thank You letter for the interview and their consideration. Hope it puts me "over the top". Now... to find a #10 business envelope...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 18, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9388925

Hope you found the correct size envelope Susan, I have lots of #10s LoL, bought them by accident last year and will likely NEVER have to buy another again !!

Have been following the Lance Armstrong debaucle !! Todays headline on CNN about sums it up, in Lance's own words, "I'm a deeply flawed BULLY". Sometimes I wonder how we all missed that about him. I always thought him arrogant, but felt he could never carry out a ruse as large as the one he has.

Lorna gets fitted for her NEW leg today, she is SO excited as it means a challenge for her. She will have to RE learn how to walk with it .. but, it will take a lot LESS time than her first leg, as she has all the rudimentary 'moves' down pat now .. still in all, it IS going to be an uphill climb (on snow) !!

Hope everyone has a picture perfect weekend .. have taken to not watching the 'Whatever Channel' anymore as their forecasting is a bit 'off' .. all I can tell you is, it is COLD here !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 18, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9389205

Cold here as well "m". Had but a few niches of snow overnight, not sure why my plowman came but he did..maybe feeling guilty about all the nice weather and getting paid for entire season..lol

Working from home today, awfully quiet, still in Jammie's sewing, resting and just mellowing out. Suppose to go to buffalo in the morning but will wait until I wake up to make final decision. As you say "m ". They are hardly ever right. Watch them be tomorrow. Lol.

Called dr's office, imagine she suggested I wait a few week for the flu epidemic to quieter down, even dr not feeling the best..waiting rooms are full and if not want to get it in exchange for bad back..so will make due.

Lorna will be thrilled to finally get the last of her legs, let's hope she easily adapts..

Not even about to watch lance armstrong news clips..like to knew what he will do about the millions he got from taking people to court re suggestions he was on drugs??

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9389684

Good news on the new leg for Lorna. I hope the adjustment goes smoothly.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 18, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9389805

I too, hope Lorna's leg adjustment goes smoothly.
What's this about Lance Armstrong? Don't follow the news, so miss a lot. Mind you, I think I'm happier for not knowing all the crime, disasters, etc that go on in our world... blissfully ignorant I guess lol

ok - my current contract has been extended again! 3 weeks more.
They know that I am waiting to hear back re: interview and that I may have to wait about 3 weeks before I could start if I'm chosen... so, the kind people they are, they've extended me that long! What sweethearts, eh?

Went out for dinner & a movie tonight - Montana's for dinner, and "Life Of Pi" for the movie - both were fabulous!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 19, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9389945

Susan .. nice to hear you have a work extension .. AND, that dinner out and a movie were awesome :-)

Re Lance Armtsrong, to sum it up, he lied and cheated and doped his blood to win his bicycling medals, now, he is trying to repair the collateral damage he incurred .. basically, the shatterd dreams and hopes of his adoring fans and the media .. nuff said ..

Lorna's leg .. wellllllllllllllllll .. we went in filled with hope and excitement, the prosthetist was so filled with anticipation, the new socket slid on to her stump like a dream .. he them started to do some adjustments to the 'mechanical' lower part with allyn wrenches, then Lorna would walk for him, suffice to say there was a problem with the 'offsetting' of the mechanical part into the socket part, hard to explain .. I have attached a pic ..
Kerry (the prosthetist) had to keep the leg to work on it, she has here old one back .. they just have to reattach the mechanical part to the socket and she was good to go .. we go back in next week .. patience, patience :-)

WE HAVE SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of it .. about 12cm overnight, light and fluffy .. however, the temps are about to drop like a rock during the day .. severe arctic like temps .. and looking at the radar weather, it's a solid blue BLOB from the Manitoba border east to Sault St Marie, we would be SMACK in the middle of said blob, Lorna is in her heaven out there ploughing .. sure nice to be able to depend on her and that Mule :-)

Someone is supposedly coming to pick up the old fridge today .. we'll see, I find the persons answering the Kijiji ads to be less than responsible :-(

Hope y'all have a great weekend :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9390062

What a disappointment for Lorna. I hope they get everything worked out.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 19, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9390247

I think I see what you mean about the off-setting of the leg... shoe looks a little "off" - am I right?
Even a little bit would make it difficult to walk straight.

I know what you mean about kijiji buyers... they can talk/email a good story, then "pouf" no-shows...
I had one that wanted to buy a set of dishes I had... 4 re-schedules later I said "are you SURE, this time?" They got into a huff apparently, and never emailed again. Before it was "dear" this, and "dear" that...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 19, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9390445

Lorna is a real trooper. Her slant on things is .. she has come this far, and, what's another week or so ..
The 'fine tuning' of the hydraulic part of the leg, to work in unison (sort of) with the socket is truly an art form. Kerry, her prosthetist, is amazing. He has a prosthesis himself, so he knows the ins and outs of what needs to be done ..

Uggg .. Kijiji .. what can I say ? We are in the midst of a winter storm right now, when we got up this morning there was about 10 cm of fresh snow on the ground. Lorna was out there in her glory ploughing the driveways, getting ready for the 9am arrival of the Kijiji person .. at noon, we received a call .. "I can't come til Wednesday" !!! I just came right out and asked if they were serious or not as I had had 3 other calls .. he assured me he was .. and so .. we wait ... .. good thing the fridge is in the garage and out of the way !!

Had the grandkids out this afternoon .. they are so hyped about their vacation coming up .. nice to see them happy...

Off to watch a DVD

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 19, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9390472

ah well, Marilyn... a re-schedule, eh? Nothing you can do about it...
Grandkids are awesome people, aren't they?!? :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 19, 2013
11:48 PM

Post #9390893

Dropping in with a quick hi..imagine, thunder woke me up..mild temps..whatever snow we got Thursday and Friday is now gone..

Lorna has such a good outlook on things..no wonder she has beaten the awful disease!

Susan, congrats on the 3 extra weeks..here is hoping you get a call re job you applied for

Enjoyed my day in buffalo..new outfits, Toys for sewing, excited about that. Lol. Dropped in to the casinos and won almost $150. Won it within a few minutes, Susanne won just under $50'won and left..that is tHe way to do it

Best I try to sleep or it will make for a long day.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 20, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9390991

YAY .. you won !! Good for you Betty, glad you left after you won, best way to do it !
I am not a gambler, but, I do tend to like to watch the people.
Nice to have some new clothes as well as new toys to play with too ...

Oh my, worn out record here, but lawsie is it COLD !!! Dogs are out and back in in a flash .. I think I am going to bake date squares, have had the dates for a few days, so , best get at it .. doesn't really take that long. Made banana oat muffins yesterday and the kids ate/took home most of them ..
Lorna is on her way out to do the driveways, and Gord is shovleing the patio .. and, here I am perched at the computer, hmmmmmmm .. something wrong with that picture LoL

Off I go

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 21, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9392519

OMG!!!!!!!! The deep freeze has DEEPENED, and of all days for the temps to SINK!!
Lorna has 2 appts today .. one to have blood work done, and, the parking was atrocious, I feel a complaint letter on the way (from me)
Later this afternoon she has a meeting at another hospital to firm up the plans for her new leg, again, parking will be a disaster.
THEN we are going to Swiss Chalet for supper, using the 'coupon' I got online for filling out a questionaire about last Monday's meal ..

It's -34C right now .. and, despite, the woodstove/furnace and brilliant sunshine, I can't seem to get WARM .. will definitely be wearing my WAY LONG winter coat this afternoon !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9392529

was -18C here this morning, cold one indeed! Tomorrow is suppose to be the coldest day of the year and of the week. Think before going to bed I'll start the car and when tossing/turning during the night will make a point to starting it..know a new car should start but what to heck better be safe than sorry.

Like you I can't seem to warm up..first call of the evening will be a soak in the tub..be like a lobster in a boiling pot of water...then on to the jammies..exciting evening for sure.

"M" enjoy Swiss Chalet

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 21, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9392873

oh Marilyn!! I would not want to be in TBay now, with -34c!! Yikes! Betty - you're having a heat wave in comparison!
I won't be going to a Swiss Chalet any time soon, not after week ago's dinner.. ... filled out their questionnaire, and they gave me a code to get a free salad/perogies/drink, but I would have to buy a dinner to get them... (to be used within 22 days of getting the code). Such service as I got doesn't deserve a return by me...
You're going to a different restaurant, so really hope you have a fabulous meal, Marilyn!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 22, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9393380

UPDATE ... -45C at this time (8:15am) !!
The aluminum back door has lost it's SPRING and now just slams because of the cold, I guess the hydraulic thingamee is too cold to lubricate the thing a ma jig ... LoL, wouldn't you LOVE to have ME working on repairing something LoL !!!

Will be filling out the survey from Swiss Chalet, and, I do have a complaint, not re food or service but .. MUZAK !!!!!!! For heaven's sake, the music playing was some kind of heavy metal rock !!! I looked around (at 4:45pm) and, 90% of the patrons were over 50 !! I commented on the choice of their music and was told that they (the servers) have no control over that .. but, our server was able to turn it down a bit.
We had the 'free perogies', certainly not what we expected, but, ok. As I mentioned, the meal was good.

2 more appts today .. yesterdays were brutal .. back to the local hospital one more time for an appt .. luckily I can now just let Lorna off at the entrance and help her a bit and she can continue on to her appt on her own so that I don't have to park WAY WAY out and walk in in these frigid temps !!
Seeing the prosthetist again for a RE fit of the new leg, he will have done the 'offsettting' .. fingers crossed all works out well ..

Hope everyone stays warm !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 22, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9393411

Soooo my saying it's -28 doesn't make you shiver..omg that is cold for you "M" Heard Edmonton is even worse..a good day to stay inside!

Girls were coming over to sew (unless they find it too cold to go out) so I had to shovel a pathway..I guess we got about 10" last night, fluffy/fluffy, boy when the wind came up one couldn't see more than a few inches..

Good news is we are once day closer to the real spring!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 22, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9393975

Didn't get much warmer throughout the day, but, the brilliant sun was sure nice to stand in :-)

Lorna has her 'new' socket .. it'll take her a few days to regain control of her 'core balance' .. as in, it'll take a few days for her to RE learn how to walk without tipping .. and, she's quite ready to get going .. we start back swimming at a local pool tomorrow, have been waiting until the New Years resolution people got their acts together ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9394973

Waving from a frigid Barrie..was -39 this morning, by the time I got to work it was -28 ahhhh heatwave.
Calling for white outs again tonight for drive home..can't complain though seeing as it's been to date such a mild winter..what a change!

How's Lorna making out today? Getting her sealegs?

Would have been a great day to stay in jammies and enjoy heat of the fireplace..

Hope you are all getting to do that.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 23, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9395046

Hokie doodle Betty .. now THAT is very COLD for your area !! Hope it is fleeting .. we are enjoying a bit of a reprieve .. it's a blamy -18C today.
Am doing a slow boil re the pool !! There are 6 handicap spots, ALL were taken and only 2 vehicles had proper stickers. As the Complex was chuck full, we called it good and went grocery shopping, Lorna got a work out following me around the Metro !!!
Bought a bag of apples and after washing the car (probably NOT a good thing to have done) came home and I made an apple pie. Gord has been hinting for about a week.

Lunch with the girls tomorrow .. looking forward to it ..

Stay warm !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 23, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9395157

Was -18 coming home..snow blowing which makes you feel even colder.

I too was at Metro about 2:30pm, bought little luncheon shepherds pie for lunch..thought it tasted good for the first 2 or 3 spoon fulls then tummy upset..greasy/greasy, feel nauseated.

Sure wish I had some of that apple, I've the ice cream to go with it...ohhh forgot I have some bread pudding.

Feel as though I'm washing my life evenings laying on the chesterfield..somebody give me a kick.

Enjoy your outing tomorrow,mthere is hoping you'll have a sunshine day for meeting up with the girls

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 23, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9395206

"Hokie doodle" OMGoodness... been SO long since I've heard that saying!!!!
-45c?!?!?! YIKES! Didn't think I'd ever move to Ontario before, now I'm SURE of it!
Taking the handicapped spots? Now that is just nasty! If there'd been room to park otherwise, I'm sure you would have gone in and complained. No spots is likely why they took those... Did you call to complain after you got home? I know I sure would have!
Heavy Metal may have been the choice for after school students? I'm sure there's a spot on the "survey" for "music choice"... wonder if the manager is the one to choose...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 24, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9395647

LoL, my Mom used to say 'Hokie Doodle', and, truth be told, sometimes it just fits in :-)

I had a call from the manager of the Swiss Chalet (only ONE here in TBay) he apologized to me re the music, said that it had been a CD from one of the staff and no one had bothered to change it up. He asked me to ask for him the next time I am at Swiss Chalet, I doubt I will, just nice to know someone does read those online surveys.
As far as the parking goes, yep, I called the Complex when I got home, asked for someone in 'property management' and was put through to someone who actually was clueless re handicap parking, or, anything else for that matter.
I think we'll just have to wait a bit. Gord seems to think it has something to do with New Years resolution people ..

-30C this morning, have become immune to this cold .. Lilly simply refused to go out, Piper was a little trooper, he did so but very quick trip ..

Lunch will be a blast, always is .. this is my nursing class group .. next week it's the grade 12 grad girls .. trying to keep my mind busy so as NOT to think about my MRi ay 6am Friday morning ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9395755

Morning all,

Heat wave here, -29 or was it -28, little difference lol

Have the micro heater on, a sewing project to work on, it's Thursday, payday, need a trip for weekend quilt supplies and I get to work from home tomorrow,can life get any better???

"M" maybe you will get to have lunch on Swiss Chalet..yep, got to wonder how many who have on-line survey's actually read them, good for Swiss Chalet!

brrr don't want to think about going in swimming, hot tub, getting all comfy and hitting those temps to go home, nope, keeping nice and ward in front of the fireplace suits me fine.

Greg leaves this morning for Cochrane/Hurst long drive just to find cold and snow..oh well, change of scenery is what they are all looking for.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 24, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9396214

COCHRANE/Hearst .. good gravy .. that's the BOONIES for sure :-)
Should have kept on coming west to Thunder Bay .. hope they have a great time ..

Lunch was amazing .. 8 of us, 6 retired, 2 still pushing paper, but, enjoying it. I think we just may have sloved all the problems in the world LoL, if not, we came close ..
Standing outside blabbering after lunch was certainly a breath taking experience, literally, the wind just swoops down and releives your lungs of air and replaces them with COLD air ..

Stopped at the Bulk food store after .. needed some stuff for bread making .. course, I forgot my list, ended up buying some Licorice all sorts and some California Mix, of which I have almost eaten ALL those darned SEASAME LOGS ! Now, my tummy feels ishy ! I KNEW it would happen, no sell control !!

Keeping warm here .. off ot play Scrabble :-)

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9396578

I would have found some way to complain about all those disable spots being full by cars w/o the stickers. Maybe you need to keep the phone # of the desk in your cell phone so that you don't have to go inside - phone them and tell them to call Bylaws to ticket or tow the cars.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 24, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9396585

at a grocery store in Winnipeg, one of the assistant managers "popped in" to the store on her day off, and parked in a handicapped spot. She got fired.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 25, 2013
1:47 AM

Post #9396880

Off to the hospital in a few minutes .. parking should be A OK at this time of the day.
Ativan did NOT work during the night, just took another .. fingers crossed all will go well :-)

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9396915

Praying for you, Marilyn...

I didn't get the job, btw - someone else was a better "fit"

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 25, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9396921

Back and happy to say I encountered no problems other than we had to drive into the city in a snow storm, but, Gord is used to that,
MRI took 20 minutes .. I nodded off to sleep .. once it was over, we went for coffee, then back home as Gord has a meeting at 8am.Probably catch an hours sleep prior to heading back into town to do some errands .

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 25, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9397057

Morning all,

Not sure how cold it is out there, home today so no need to go out..can't seem to warm up..just turned the furnace up, turned on fireplace in living room, bedroom and family room and still chilled...better find me some blankets..kidding of course, sewing and keeping myself busy at least until 3pm when work day ends.

"M" so glad that all went well for you..best it was early morning so you didn't fret all day about it. Think if I ever need one going to ask for something to take. Did they have to put your entire body inside? Now comes the wait.

Susan, sorry to hear you did not get the job..you still have a couple more weeks at your present assignment though? Bob still enjoying his employment..what a silly question, who wouldn't rather be home.

Coffee in hand, back to p,aging in the sewing room!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
10:44 PM

Post #9397837

I'm at this temp job for 4 more weeks - 3 into February, cuz they thought I'd be starting my new job then, so gave me a "bridge" to the new one... ah well, the Good Lord will get me a job when I need to have it...
Yes, Bob's enjoying his job - he's getting "abs of steel" from working lol Mind you, yesterday & today they had the crew unloading about 40 truckloads (20 ft trucks) over the two days, and his ankle is hurting...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9397939

Susan, hope Bob's ankle 'holds up', that's a lot of trucks to unload!
As for your job, I'm sure another will come along ..

Betty, I went into the MRI up to my chin. Was holding my breath thinking they would 'stuff me all the way in', but, nope :-)
All in all it was something I would not hesitate doing again (as long as I didn't have to have my head inside)

Hope everyone has a stellare weekend, would imagine it's cool everywhere ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9398242

~M~ glad you didn't have to get "stuffed" all the way in! I'm sure there are other people who cannot abide having their head enclosed!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 26, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9398486

Evening all..busy day, not sure what I was busy at but I seem to easily have filled a day. Ann's nephew Toby is in surgery right now, cancer doesn't seem to care that he's in his 20's, she sure is distraught. Toby's mom died about a year ago, if it is a year and now this..chemo was going ok, he wasn't deathly I'll and then had to be rushed from parry sound to Toronto general (up yuk, hospital Roger died in)
Seems his bowel was crushed..extreme pain. Prayers would be appreciated..this young lad needs a miracle

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9398861

Thoughts and prayers most assuredly going out to Toby.
I have to say, that I am kind of amazed at the 'younger age' of the cancer patients I am seeing, Lorna's hematologist is based in our cancer building so, when we go for appts the waiting room is a buzz of activity with clients there to see one of the several oncologists. Quite notably, there are younger patients waiting to be seen.

Seems we MAY be in a heat wave here .. snowed overnight and it's just -10C .. whew :-)

Have a good Sunday all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9398893

Mornimg all,

Drats didn't sleep half the night and got up with a bad headache, just took something so hoping it eases and I can have the day to sew and get the quilt top I'm doing finished.

Thanks for the prayers for Toby..Ann said she would if all was ok drop in after church this morning. Will tell her Toby is getting mega prayers on his behalf.
Bloody cancer.

"M" get the shorts out. Lol

Nice and bright here, sun is trying to come out..do say snow/rain and higher temps coming this week, Lordy think Tuesday or Wednesday it will be in the 40's

Breakfast calling, gab in a bit..will post photo of the project I'm working on..
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 27, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9399242

Betty- Prayers for Toby.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9399290

Thank you kindly..Toby spent a good night, all going well they will resume chemo Wednesday or Thursday. They have sent tissues to see if it is cancer now in another area of his body..can't believe it takes weeks to get such results..you would think under the circumstances they would have a rush.

Your Prayer mean so much to Ann and her family!

Brrr, haven't stepped out since yesterday morning, lazy kind of weekend, almost hate going to work tomorrow, if it weren't for getting a paycheck guess I wouldn't. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9399329

Betty - prayers going out to Ann & Toby... Cancer is such an invasive & scary disease.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9399633

Prayers from here as well.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 28, 2013
1:55 AM

Post #9399738

Morning all,

Thank you for the prayers.

My aunt Muriel called last night to say she had been at her brothers, my Uncle Gerry, hard calling him uncle because he is only 3 years my senior. Seems his cancer is back, not goof as his wife Laurie is battling the same.

Shaking my head, I'm sure most families know what it's like,mhaving loved ones battling cancer, prayers for them as well.

Still laying here in bed, they were calling for freezing rain last night, was hoping it was so then I'd be able to spend another day at home,,sounds quiet out there so guess its a work day. Lol

What do you all have planned for the day?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9399811

Prayers and thoughts for all those fighting ill health .. seems no family is untouched.

I am still in awe of 'the weather' .. hmm .. I MUST be a CANADIAN :-)
Yesterday we almost hit +1C, as I type this at about 8am, it is -5C !! A veritable heat wave, and SO enjoyed.
Betty, I sure hope the freezing rain in your neck of the woods does NOT materialize. Lorna's Dad cancelled his dental appt 'just in case'.
As well .. they have a friend (96) moving to a 'retirement home' in Bracebridge today .. quite upsetting for not only the friend, but, also Lorna's folks as they have been watching over this lady for a few years now. But, the time has come when she can no longer care for herself, and, her family lives in Bracebridge.

Yesterday we took Lilly out in the Mule for a ride around the property, I had thought several times, that, of the 2 dogs, she is by far the more curious about the 'machine', so, I opened the door, and invited her in (while Piper ran away) and, she hopped in and onto my lap and thoroughly enjoyed the 10 minute excursion LoL.
We were even able to sit out in the sun, I have to say, the penetrating warmth on my head was welcomed !! Today we are to have a repeat of that weather .. so .. it's off early to get gas and do a bit of grocery shopping, Gordon put together a beef barley soup (from scratch) in the slow cooker last night, so, no worries re supper ..

I still have a bit of the 'dizzies' from taking the methotrexate Friday evening, but, that should be gone by tomorrow. It was my fifth dose, and, to be honest, my right hip is not feeling any better (yet), so, am thinking the psoriatic arthritis has taken its toll, however, the left hip feels great :-)

Lorna is really struggling with this new leg, it is NOT fitting properly. As a result, her phantom pain had escalated :-(
She has an appt to see the prosthetist this Thursday .. just very disappointing for her.

Guess I should start puttering around, or, play Scrabble LoL

Have an amazing day everyone

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 29, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9401654

Shorts weather here today, AND, trust me, there were some young fellas out playing catch wearing just that, and TShirts .. it was way too damp for that, but, young people don't seem to feel that (til they get older) LoL I think we hit about +2 or 3C ..
Had a hygienist appt. never fails to amaze me how she chatters on , then, expects me to remember what she said .. nice, nice young lady though ..

Watching all the POLITICS on TV .. Kathleen Wynne (our new ON Premier), John Kerry put forward for Sec of State in the US, and, the ever present musings re Hilary Clinton running for President in 2016 .. keeps a news hound like me busy :-)

Boy is this week flying by !! Waiting patiently for Lorna's prosthetics appt on Thursday ..

TTFN

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 30, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9402808

Popping in to say HI ..

As always, busy day here .. doing my favourite thing .. GROCERY SHOPPING .. !! Went to WalMart .. thankfully it wasn't busy, but after about 20 minutes, I noted that it is a GOOD thing to KNOW your prices!! There were items at WalMart more expensive than another 'higher end' store I shop at. Gordon noticed it as well .. so .. buyer beware ...

Dental appt yesterday was awesome. We have all been using a new toothpaste by Crest, called PRO HEALTH, and, all of our check ups, and cleanings have been A OK ..

Not going to mention the weather .. suffice to say it's January !!

Betty, how's Toby ?
Actually, how are you as well ? Still getting headaches?

Leftovers tonight, suits me ..

Enjoy your evening ladies ..

OH .. should we be moving over, or, is it still OK ?

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 30, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9402958

evening,

kind of giving up complaining, not helping a bit..lol..pressure in lower back is almost unbearable..not too bad when I'm moving but sit all day/week and about does me in..have not been sleeping all night up just before or after 4pm but am getting lots done.

see that the seniors were here..brought about 6 boxes/bags of fabric, none of which I would use, besides when making quilts like the new fabric..in the meantime, they left it in the family room for me to come home to..nothing is staying so will load it in the car tomorrow and drop it off at Value Village or Salvation Army.

Think "M" it's how they make their $$$..give bargooons then slip a few high priced items..lol..only think I like about Walmart is going in and pretty well getting everything done I want to do in town. I see in Buffalo they brought back the fabric/sewing department, great reasonable choices..have not done that here.

Imagine, in the 50's and now they are calling for snow squalls and high winds tonight..transferred the telephones to my house..wouldn't it be wonderful if I did have a snow day..I'm to anxious to have one, will never have one..(big grin)

Toby right now is going through a depression, won't even talk to fiance, cousins or dad..think he just wants to give up!

bath and meds waiting

pray for snow/snow/wind and more snow at least for me..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 30, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9403047

Too lovely not to share

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/xHkq1edcbk4?rel=0

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 31, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9403487

WOW .. isn't nature MORE that impressive ? Thanks for the link Betty, enjoyed watching it.
Hope your lower back starts to feel better .. at a loss as to what to suggest. Know friends who swear by massage, and, others who swear by chiropractors .. my feeling re either one is, 'pick your poison' .. not really a fan of chiropractors.
I did pray for snow for you LoL and, in so doing, it seems it missed the mark and may fall here along with wind and cold temps.

Off to the prosthetist this afternoon, hopefully he can 'snug up' Lorna's new prosthesis .. she hasn't worn it for a day now and sure does miss it. Never thought I'd ever hear her say she 'MISSED' it !!

So sorry to hear about Toby's frame of mind. It is one of the steps in the voyage with cancer though. I pray he can go forward .

Hope everyone has a great Thursday :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 31, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9403517

Snowday, Snowday..thanks "M"' storm passing through. I was going to head out but Suzanne said to sit and enjoy my day. I'm all for that but no sitting. Just a matter of letting back heal..slow but sure..have had both those treatments and only aggravates.

Was just speaking with Ann, Toby is doing poorly, white cel count right of the map..she is tempted to go to the city and I tried to get through to her if she gets in an accident she will not be there for him..hooe she takes head.

Mother Nature..Lordy , spring yesterday and within a few hours a blizzard..didn't start till after 6am..guess I would be pushing it if I asked for another Snowday tomorrow? Lol

Best of luck that all the kinks have been fixed and Lorna will have no more problems..

Off to turn up the heat

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 31, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9403619

Happy to hear you are able to work from home today Betty .. glad I wished for that LoL

Toby is likely suffering from the emotional issues, because of the physical ones. White blood cell counts, when altered as they are with cancer, can really cause a person some grief. Feel bad for him, but, agree with you re Ann not travelling today.

Hunker down, we're about ready to take off here .. not to worry about the roads, it's just COLD and WINDY !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 31, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9403658

Be careful "M"

winds have died down, no snow at the moment but that's the way squalls work

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 31, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9404105

Trip to town was smooth. Prosthetic appt was llllllooooooooonnnnnggggg .. he had to 'pad' the socket he made last week .. he uses leather, and, it has to be pretty precise. At any rate, it all worked out just fine, and, the leg fits better now. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Hope the squalls stay away Betty .. still very cold her .. -25C brrrrrrrrrrr .. I hear/see Susan is getting cold temps as well in Calgary ..

Off to make some phonecalls ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 31, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9404119

Here is hoping she'll adjust easily to the changes.

Here's hoping tomorrow will be another Snowday. Lol. Aren't I terrible!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 1, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9404591

Well .. is it a 'snow day' Betty ?
Not here, if anything people should stay inside so as NOT to freeze their lungs !!
Lorna has some blood work to be done at 1130, and I think we're going to try for haircuts .. the woman who does them is in the salon today, so, we'll see ..

Taking the family out for pizza Saturday evening .. they were going to come out here, but holy cow, all 4 of them are on their own schedules for the weekend. Cheerleading practice, music lessons, helping friends .. better all round the 3 of us go to them ..
Austin is in the 'thinking about it stages' of taking 'chanter' lessons which would lead to a position in one of the Pipe Bands .. nothing carved in stone yet, Austin is at that age where he thinks it 'looks good', but, he's not too sure about putting in all the work to get there.
Have several family members involved with the Pipe Bands here, and, my eldest brother was the Pipe Major for years, he loved it. We'll see ..

Best I get a mozy on :-)

RABBIT, RABBIT, and, enjoy your day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 1, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9404646

Lordy, was a hard decision to make, usually I work (play) at home on Fridays but because I had yesterday off I felt guilty. Went to grocery store at 7am and decided to come in so it was rush/rush/rush as well..seeing as i want to go to Fabricland and Fabric shop so I have materials to finish projects thought I might as well seeing it was bright outside even though they are calling for sqalls..wow, talk about a beautiful rainbow in the sky.Stopped at Tim Hortons and my windows wouldn't open..frozen, -20

Brought a bag with christmas placemats that I've sewn binding on one side and now need to hand sew, that will keep me busy for most of the day...only have to work until 3pm.

Know the feeling of meeting up with family..difficult nowdays with kids being in their teens and snowmobiling, skiing,hocket etc. Like bringing United Nations together..lol

Enjoy your evening with the family

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9405523

We had a warm sunny day today! With that yellow globe in the sky!
so, maybe that's why this song popped into my head?!?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIKsHh3BFPI

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9405706

Am thinking the Ground Hog in Wiarton (Willie) didn't see his shadow, which would mean an early spring, and, with temps still sitting at -30C here, I can't believe it.

Nice to hear you have better temps Susan. We have had lots of SUN, just no warmth.

Hope your day at work went well Betty and you got your shopping done.

Took my 'pills' last night, have a rather 'wonkie bean' this morning.

Off to start laundry (be still my heart)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 2, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9405788

So both groundhogs are of the same mind, early spring! As you say "M" with today's temps it is hard to believe.

Easy day at work yesterday but a blizzard until I got closer to home, almost turned around and drove to Orillia but thought better of it.

Again was up at 4am, stayed up and did some sewing..sure need more fabrics and supplies so I can finish some of these projects..wasn't snowing, decided to go, came upstairs and snowing..hmmm

Go have a nap then and wear of the drugs. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9405893

Moved us to this thread address ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296575/

Hope it works!

~M~

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America