Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: January 2013 Birthday Club

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 67, Views: 394
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
12:50 AM

Post #9371990

There's always room for more folks to join us. If you're just stumbling upon our Birthday thread or have lurked in the past and would like to join the fun, here's how our group works. During your Birth Month, you will receive a Birthday Card from each of the other participants. And in turn, you are to mail a Birthday Card to each participant during their Birth Month. Who doesn't enjoy receiving a thoughtful Card instead of junk mail and bills? A Card and a 1st Class Stamp, it's as simple as that. Purchased and handcrafted Cards are both welcome. Come on and have some fun!!!!

January Birthday(s):
Rouxcrew / Joy -- January 15
lanakila/Lanakila -- January 22

Current Birthday Club Members:
Rouxcrew / Joy -- January 15
lanakila/Lanakila -- January 22
Irisluvr0252 / Debbie -- February 25
hartzell81 / Heather -- March 3
rose318 / Patti -- March 18
Goldhillal / Crystal -- March 21
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
Crit / Patti -- May 10
Mud_Elf / Kris -- May 10
ahoogstra/Alicia -- May 17
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
texaslady62 / Lori -- June 27
Goober_Fairy/Kaitlyn -- August 5
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- September 1
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28
Sbish5/ Shirley --- November 1
Hope43 / Twyla -- December 28
HONORARY Member - Neener

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 10:04 AM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 5:04 PM

Thumbnail by GardenQuail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
12:59 AM

Post #9371992

Rather than one person hosting Birthday Club all the time, we decided to take turns. We still have a few months that need a host, so if you can help, just let us know which month you'd like. It does not take much: just start a new thread for your month, and wish everyone a Happy Birthday when the time comes!

2013 Birthday Club Hosts
January - GardenQuail
February - Lanakila
March - taters55 (possibly another month too)
April - rouxcrew (possibly another month too)
May -- GardenQuail
June - Goober_Fairy
July - Mud_Elf
August - rose318
September - Goldhillal
October - Taters55
November -
December -

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 10:06 AM
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
1:07 AM

Post #9371995

Hi, all.
Happy birthday, 2013! :)
Each year, my husband makes a pinewood derby car. This month's birthday cake photo shows the derby car he built in 2009. It depicts a birthday cake celebrating Louis Braille's 200th birthday. The first piece has already been served!
Michelle

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9372092

Morning Michelle, I hope you have a Happy New Year !!!!!

My new years resolution is to send my birthday cards out on time...LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9372150

Thanks for the new thread for the New Year!
Love that pine wood derby car cake! That is awesome!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9372707

I would love to join, and host the month of August. My birthday is March 18.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9372821

Hey Rose, glad to have you with us!
Make sure you post your address in the address exchange, so we can send you your card when we get to March!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9372860

Thanks Linda. Added my address to the list.
Patti

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9372949

Thanks Patti, Michelle will get your name added to the list on top!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9375218

Hi, all.
Patti, welcome! I'll get your name added at the top right away :) Very exciting to have new members join us!
Born January 4, 1809, Louis Braille would be 203 years old today! Happy birthday, Louis Braille, and many thanks for inventing the writing system for the blind known today as braille! :)
LK, thanks for helping out! Now that I've finally gotten over my cold and have energy again, I got busy getting some chores done around here... Still lots more to do, but I got a good start on things :)
Hoping to hear from the rest of our group soon... and from anyone else who'd like to join us for the new year!
Have a great day, everyone!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9375237

Hi, all.
rose318, got you added :) And thanks, too, for volunteering to host a month! I've updated our host list, too.
Hey, everyone, Looks like we just need two more hosts! :) A couple of you said you were considering hosting a second month. Let me know if you want me to put your name down for either of the remaining months. The remaining months are November and December.
And remember to get cards sent to this month's birthday gals, rouxcrew and Lanakila!
Michelle

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9375741

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for adding me to the list . Looking forward to hosting August.
Patti
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 5, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9376444

Hello everyone!! Hope all are well! Just got my card out to Faye(just a little late:( sorry ) and have my cards ready to go for Joy & Lanakila (so hopefully they will not be late ). Shirley
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
11:25 PM

Post #9376841

Hi, all.
Very cool, Shirley :) I'm hoping to get several cards out Tuesday. Still gotta get my cards for Joy and Lanakila. Hoping to get them Monday :)
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
2:30 AM

Post #9376873

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292560/

Come on over and sign up for the Valentine swap!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9377246

Well Goober and I finally got our of cards sent out. We mailed out for the months of September, October, November, December, and January. Lol... I feel so much better now to be caught up.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9378411

Hi, all.
Congrats on getting caught up, Goober and Elfie :)
Thought I'd be able to get my cards today, but I'm thinking that bug I had is trying to sneak back and get me again... sigh! Stayed home to get more rest.
Have any of you seen the show "Myth Busters"? The Tech Museum in San Jose has had an exhibit from the show running this past month. We don't get to see it often (no cable), but my husband enjoys seeing it when he can. Got to admit, they've tested some interesting things. Yesterday was the last day of the exhibit. Finally got a chance to go see it. Pretty interesting :) But between that church, and watching the last of our Christmas DVD's, it made for a long day!
Well, hope you all are doing well. Take care, and have a great day!
Michelle
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 7, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9378465

Good evening everyone! YEAH for me! Got the next two cards on the list -- for Joy & Lanakila-- mailed out today so they will actually get there BEFORE their birthday--not after, like Fayes'(which just got mailed today also)-- sometimes the best of intentions don't go as planned. Anyway, hope everyone is staying warm. Still cold here--but then, I'll be the first one to admit that I'm what you call a "sissy" when it comes to cold weather--would LOVE to be able to hibernate all winter!!! Have a good night everyone! Shirley

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 6:51 PM

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9378494

Hubs won us an all expenses paid trip to Orlando to watch a bowl game for the New Year. My sister from Ohio joined us and we made a quick trip of it. Unfortunately, all three of us got a whopper of a winter cold to start off the year. I'm still so out of it that today was the first day that I've been awake for more than an hour. So, not only was I already behind with my December cards, but now I find that I'm almost behind on my January cards. That's it, Cold, d'ya hear?!? I do not have time to be sick, k? So there!!!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9378531

Mailed out my January birthday cards. Happy Birthday Lanakila and Joy.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9378615

Hi, all.
Hang in there, Lanakila :) Glad you were able to stop by! Take good care of yourself and finish getting better. I'm sure our birthday gals will understand :)
Michelle
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 8, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9379343

Received a quite funny b-day card today from Elfie! Took pics as close as I could so everyone could read it! Gave me a laugh!! Thanks Elfie!

Michelle--front of card has two pics of brains on it --above one pic(brain) it says Left-brained people tend to be verbal,logical,and factual. Above the next pic(brain) it says Right-brained people tend to be spontaneous,intuitive,and creative. Then on the inside of the card it says...and lame-brained people tend to forget birthdays! LoL Hugs from Elfie.

Thumbnail by sbish5   Thumbnail by sbish5         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 8, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9379350

Also received a b-day card from Goober today! Soooo cute with little mouse sitting on mushrooms in the middle of flowers. Thank you for the beautiful b-day card Goober!!

Thumbnail by sbish5   Thumbnail by sbish5         

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9379502

You are very welcome. We are so sorry we were late for so many birthdays.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2013
1:51 AM

Post #9381703

Hi, all.
Hope your week has been a good one, even with the usual ups and downs :)
Shirley, that card is really funny LOL Thanks for describing it!
Hmmm, I better check my mail. Was rainy with a cold wind blowing on the way home Wednesday so didn't stop to check it. Meant to check Thursday, but never got to it. Will definitely have to look in the morning :)
I'm getting closer to getting my cards out... Just need help getting them addressed, then off to the post office they go! :)
Have a beautiful day, everyone!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
1:55 AM

Post #9385516

Hi, all.
Joy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you get to do something really special today :)
Elfie and Goober, thank you so much for the cards! They were waiting for me when I finally got to check the mailbox over the weekend :)
It's yet another night with lows in the 30s... We've had at least a couple of weeks like this. Unusual here to have such a long stretch of cold nights. Must say, with it getting down into the 30s at night, those daytime temps in the high 40s and low 50s don't feel nearly so cold!
Have a great day, everyone!
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 15, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9385555

Happy Birthday Joy and Lanakila (22)!! Hope you both have a wonderful birthday! Just got back from a week down in Costa Rica and trying to catch up!

Hi Michelle...sounds like you are having unusual weather like us. We are having low 80s here when it should be 60s. Everything is starting to bloom out...which is not good.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9385589

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ Happy Birthday Joy! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 15, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9385595

Happy Day Joy and Lanakila!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 15, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9385645

Happy Birthday to you Joy! Hope you have a wonderful day!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9385926

Happy, Happy,Happy Birthday Joy. Hope you day is filled with everything that brings you happiness.

You are very welcome Michelle. Again sorry it was so late.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9386451

Happy Birthday JOY
Hope you have a wonderful birthday!
Patti
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9386655

Had to stop by to wish you a Happy Birthday, Joy! Ewe deserve a break and a fun day. Love ya.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9387523

Thanks to everyone for the lovely wishes and the great cards. It was a miserable morning, sleet, dogs out, fence down, by the time I got all set to rights I was wet and chilled to teh bone. Took four cups of hot tea before I got warm. Made a skillet mac and cheese with cauliflower and portabella mushrooms. Perked me right up. Made a chocolate cherry cake pudding, delish, and Dave and I had a roasted pork loin with Meyer Lemon marmalade, garlic mashed potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts.
We will go to a little restaurant near here that is owned by a French chef who used to run the Four Seasons in New York and has retired here. He is only open on Friday and Saturday nights and it is fabulous!!!!!!
Thanks again for all the well wishes,
Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
11:52 PM

Post #9387833

Hi, all.
Joy, sorry your bday started out the way it did, but it sounds like it got much better! :) Sounds like you're getting to enjoy some delicious food! Once my husband and I discovered roasted brussels sprouts, we've never gone back to cooking them any other way :)
Remember, Lanakila's birthday is on the 22nd, so if you haven't mailed cards yet, please try to do so soon!
Joy and Lanakila, your cards from me went into the mail today (Jan 16). And, as usual, they're signed by me and my guide dog :)
Faye and Twyla, your belated birthday cards from me also went into the mail today, signed by me and my guide dog :) Thought I'd give you a heads-up in case you're following the thread.
Fruity, great to have you stop by :)
Paula, I'll take those 80 degree temps over these lows in the 30s any day :) But I must admit, I have gained an appreciation for the cold temps for my flowers' sake... There are some that need the colder temps to bloom properly.
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
12:31 AM

Post #9387838

Hi, all.
Lately, I've been thinking about our list of "current" members up above. Unfortunately, there are several that we haven't heard from in a very long time, so we really don't know if they are still interested in being members or if they're even still around. I'm planning to send dmail to them to be sure they know where to find us. But I have a question for you all before I do this:
Currently, up above it just says that members need to send cards for peoples' birthdays. What do you all think about adding a line that also asks that people 1post to the thread at least twice a month so we know they're still around. I figure that the first post let's us know they followed the thread to it's new location, and the second post will hopefully give them a chance to find out where we moved, even if they haven't posted in a while.
I know people get busy, and I wonder if now that we take turns hosting, perhaps it's easier to lose track of the thread?
Anyway, I don't want to drop anyone, but if someone really isn't participating, it's not really fair to those who are to continue to list their names as if they are. Of course, I realize we, myself included, do get behind sending cards at times. I'm not going to drop someone just because they got behind in sending their cards (though we trust that members will make the effort to catch up at some point). But if members are also not stopping by at all to let us know they're still around and interested, or if they don't at least make an effort to let us know that they'll be gone for a while but will be returning, etc., then is it really fair to everyone else to keep them on the "current members" list?
Of course, we may want to make certain exceptions, and I'm fine with that, too. For example, I know Twyla has been a member for some time, but has been having computer problems. But she has been passing messages on to other members to pass on to us when she can. So we at least know why she isn't posting regularly.
Also, I think that before anyone is dropped from the list of current members, we'd want to send a dmail to be sure they know where the newest thread is in case they got lost. And, of course, if someone wanted to return at a later time when things improved for them, we'd be happy to add them back to the list.
Anyway, what do you all think? If we want to change any of our wording up above, I'd like to let people know about these changes, too, when I send dmail to those we haven't heard from in a long time.
Hope I've explained this all clearly :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9387941

Sounds like you got it all covered! I agree, we should post here to say thanks for the cards received, as well as let us know they are still interested.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9388176

I agree with all of your points. I got very far behind myself. However I still dropped by and I don't have internet except on my phone. So it is hard for me to post Lot. It is getting better as I have found the right spot to sit and text here in the boonies. LOL.

I sent out 7 cards and only 2 people acknowledged that they received them. Very discourageing for me. Goober also sent out 7 the same day. Same result.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9388253

I second or third that.
I want to know at least that they received the card ,so I know if I need to resend one.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9388551

Hi, all.
Sounds like we are in agreement. So I'll start working on this over this coming week. Need to get some seeds ready for a seed robin that's on it's way to me, too, but I'm hoping I can get the list of current members and our new phrasing at the top updated by the end of January.
Kris, that's cool that you've found the perfect spot for texting and keeping in touch! And thanks for helping Goober keep in touch now and then, too :)
Michelle

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 18, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9389783

I try to check in but do not always post after I read what's been put up. Over the past year I think about half the cards I sent were not acknowledged. I don't know who it was and do not keep a count, but it is very disappointing not to even have the effort acknowledged.
Whatever you decide to do about this problem is fine with me.
I wonder if some people who are not reporting in might no longer be members? Is there a way to find that out?
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
1:16 AM

Post #9389847

Hi, all.
I believe we can see if someone is subscribed or just listed as a member of Dave's Garden. In order to see this thread, they have to be subscribed (paid either for a two month or a one-year subscription to Dave's Garden). So I'll look at that, too. It is a possibility that someone could have let their subscription lapse.
Thanks, Paula (via dmail) and Crystal, for your input.
Crystal, I know what you mean about not always replying when you stop by to read the posts. I do that sometimes, too. But you do chime in from time to time, and we appreciate that. We like knowing you're still around :)
Looks like I have lots happening this weekend, but I'll try to sneak by at some point... Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9389955

All you have to do, is click on a persons name, the next page will tell you if they are subscribed or not! If you see a name, all you have to do is place your mouse over the name, and it will say that person is a subscriber or not. I went through all the names, and so far, ClanCampbell/Chris, kohndr/Kobi, are not member. I don't know about hope/Twyla, as she is not listed in the address exchange.

irisluvr0252 is subscribed through February 23, 2013. Irisluver0252Debbie if your lurking, you need to extend your membership before it expires please?

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 8:27 AM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9390026

I am so proud of myself,, not only am I caught up on my birthday cards,,, I even got Valentine cards and have finished them up too! Even got stamps on them.. Now just need to remember to mail them in 2 weeks...lol
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9390462

Hi, all.
LK, thanks for checking the names for me. I'll do some updating soon.
Twyla is in the address exchange. She's under hope43. She's subscribed through some time in 2014, so I'm going to keep her listed above.
I'm going to remove Clancampbell and kohndr since they are no longer subscribed. But I'll send them a dmail to let them know that if they're still interested in participating in the birthday club, they need to subscribe again first.
Michelle

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 5:01 PM

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9392803

I've been out of touch with the word for the last couple of weeks. When I came home today and plowed through the piles of post I discovered some treasures in among the bills and junk mail. I've received lovely cards and wishes from Shirley, Linda Kay, Kris, Patti, Goober, and Michelle. It's really a relief to be home with my husband, kitties, and doggy, and warms my heart to have these cards from my DG friends. Thanks so much ladies!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9392957

Glad you are home too. Relax and enjoy the kitties.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9393038

Welcome back home!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
12:28 AM

Post #9393266

Hi, all.
Welcome back, Lanakila :) And what fun to find birthday cards waiting for you!
Hey, speaking of birthdays:
Lanakila, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :) Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing day filled with special memories :)
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 22, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9393352

Happy Birthday Lanakila! Hope your day is wonderful and filled with surprises!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9393403

Happy Birthday Lanakila! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 22, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9393433

Happy Birthday to you Lanakila! Take some "me" time and pamper yourself today!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9393583

Happy birthday!!!! I hope your day is full of joy and lots of love!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
9:04 PM

Post #9394325

Happy Birthday Lanakila.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 24, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9395863

Well, looks like we have a break in the action for a while before the next card needs to go out!! Gives me time to replenish my stock!!! Have a good day everyone!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9395944

Lanakila, your up next to make a new thread for February. Post the link here when you get it ready please?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9396357

Well did not make the cold frames. But did get 10 pots of bulbs in the ground. Cut out and installed the new cat door. Cut other lumber for yard projects, took Mooch for a walk, and ate lunch. I am tired and want a nap.

Finally got a picture to load of the cake plates I am working on too!!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf         

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9396452

Will do, Linda! I'll post a link this weekend everyone :)
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9396476

Hi, all.
Haven't had a chance to send out dmails to our missing members yet. Been an extra busy week, but I'm hoping to get them mailed out by sometime tomorrow (Friday). I'll keep you all posted. Also, people can still chat here if you wish... still have one more week of January :)
Hope you all are doing well!
Michelle

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9396605

February Thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295344/

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9396756

Love those cake plates Kris!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 25, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9396941

Wow! Kris, you were on a roll for those stands. How cute! nice gift!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9397063

The cOw stands are for me. They are to house my collection of Kitchen Fairies. Ralph has started buying them for me and so far I have about 12. So I wanted to put them in little display domes. However they are so hard to find and when Linda / takers55 tried to help me find some the ones we found cost the moon. So I am making my own.

I did spray paint 3 yesterday, just the bases and the paint ran a little so I need to figure better way to do it. I was spraying them in a box and it was to short so my angle was off. Was kind of breezy to, so that did not help. It is a learning process for me at any rate.

I am using various glass faces for the dome parts, still not sure if I like most of them. Anyone have any of those old glass cheese place domes??? I sure would love to have them. Hint, hint,,LOL

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 25, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9397082

On pinterest a few months ago I saw something to color glass that I tried and was very pleased with. Take Elmer's Glue and put food coloring in it to make the color you want. Then paint it on the plate (or whatever- I did clear bud vases). When dry it is beautiful.

Thumbnail by goldhillal

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9397267

Sorry, no glass domes here!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9397580

Hi, all.
Using the glue with food coloring sounds like an interesting way to add color to something. But if the glue gets wet later after it has dried, will it get messed up?
Speaking of trying something new, I recently got a new bread cookbook. I finally got to try one of the recipes yesterday. It's a sourdough bread that you bake on a pizza stone. I've never used our pizza peel to transfer dough to the pizza stone in the oven before. My husband always does that when we have pizza :) But I tried it yesterday because I wanted to get the bread baked in time so we could have it for dinner. And it worked! I successfully got the bread dough onto the pizza stone :) And the bread came out quite yummy!
Hmmm, speaking of bread, I'm hungry, so I think I'll go eat some :)
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 25, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9397704

I did not spray mine but it should probably be sprayed with a sealant If you soaked it in dish water, I think it would wipe off, unless it was sealed, but just a few drops of water is not going to hurt it after it has dried.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9404163

Hi, all.
If you haven't already found your way over to the February birthday thread, please do so :) We don't want to lose anyone! The link to follow is above (look for it in Lanakila's post).
I'll close this thread tomorrow once it is February.
Also, I still want to dmail our missing members, but things were crazy this week. Lanakila, I'll work on it and keep you posted so you know how to update your thread.
Michelle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America