Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Homesteading: 2013 the start - January

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 79, Views: 808
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9372036

Let the new year and garden plans begin !
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9372056

Hope everyone has a prosperous and Happy New Year!! It's January, which is a bummer, but right after that is February which ain't diddly, and after that is March. Spring starts in March. Early potatoes are planted in March. Spring peas, beets, Mangels, radishes, turnips, and lettuces are planted in March. I make dandelion jelly in march. And it's only a few weeks off!! woowoo!

My wife gets really irritated with my exuberance sometimes...
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9372100

Dandelion jelly - now you have my attention - when you get the time please elaborate.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9372126

Nik... it's hard to stir up any enthusiasm on such a dreary day like today.

Sometime today I need to bring my circular saw into the house and cut out a spongy section of the hallway floor. I can hear water dripping from that area if I stick my head under the house, and our city water bill keeps going up. This month it is 5X the normal rate so I know the leak is getting worse.

I know it wouldn't be too hard to find and repair the leak from under the house, but I hate the tight crawl space and most of the local plumbers are too fat to squeeze in there... plus I'd STILL have a spongy section in the hallway floor.

Dyson, wanna come be a paid plumber for a few hours?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9372162

darius I just got done with repairing the can here - first I bought a cheap flush valve replacement - did not work out well at all - then I bought a better one and the can is fixed. Now I have to start replacing all of the corroded galvanized pipe and try to get my pressure up to where it should be. Can not replace it all at once (to expensive) so I will have to work it a section at a time - back to work tomorrow - I like having an income again - but I am getting to feel my age with the 12 hour shifts and the 1.5 hour commute.

Happy New Year to all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9372168

Dyson... why not replace the galv. with PEX? Much cheaper, very sturdy, and not subject to freezing and bursting.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9372199

Going to go with CPVC - Still going to take awhile.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9372389

Marking my spot.
happy new year.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9372775

DANDELION JELLY

Pick a quart of dandelion blossoms, no stems. Rinse, add 4 cups water, boil 5 minutes and strain. Should have 3 1/2 cups juice. If short, add water, but press the water out of the blossoms. Add: 1 pkg. sure jell
1 tsp. lemon juice

Bring to boil. Add 4 cups sugar. Cook, rolling boil for 3 minutes. Stir all the time. Put in hot 8 ounce jars. Cover. It tastes like honey-apple jelly. This is good.

I like this stuff, but the banana butter I saw on another thread really had be going. I finally found a recipe and made some. I'm just about out and going to have to make some more pretty soon.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9372951

Dandelions have many health benefits, including relief from liver disorders, diabetes, urinary disorders, acne, jaundice, cancer and anemia. It also helps in maintaining bone health, skin care and weight loss.

Fresh dandelion greens, flower tops, and roots contain valuable constituents that are known to have antioxidant, disease preventing, and health promoting properties.

Dandelion is probably the richest herbal sources of vitamin K; provides about 650% of DRI. Vitamin-K has potential role in bone mass building by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones. It also has established role in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.
http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/health-benefits-of-dandelion.html

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9373009

Dh and i were discusing price of milk and i mentioned that we really don't need milk in our diets ... since so many other foods have calcium and are richer in nutrients . he didn't believe me. But that is my opinion LOL . i don't drink milk much . i eat cheese . and kale. i do want to grow some dandylion in my garden for some salad mixes. well they already grow in my garden LOL
today we got some sun
stanford won the game at the rose bowl.

Thumbnail by taynors
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9373380

Nik, thanks so much for the prayers. DD is doing well and DH is on the mend. now I have come down with an awful case of congestion and have nearly coughed up a lung. I don't have any fever or body aches so I doubt it is the flu. But my head is hurting today.

I have been reading my new book Storey' s Guide to Raising Miniature Animals. I have about come to the conclusion that my doe, Dusty, is not an African Pygmy but rather a Kinder. I have always known she was too tall for a pygmy but I find' t know why. When she had her last kids from an unexpected breeding with her own buckling, it started me thinking because the kids from that breeding had a Nubian look to them. When I was reading about the Kinder I looked up some images on the web and they look just like her. So, I guess that may be what she is. That may also explain the fact that she has longer teats than the pygmy does I have had.
My friend is going to bring Little Billy back over in a week or so to stay 2 weeks with us. I will shut Cinnamon up in the old hen house on the hill while he is here. She is 4 months too young to breed. The old hen house is actually a 13 x 8 wire dog kennel with a wire top covered with a very heavy tarp. I will breed Cinnamon when she is old enough but I will use a younger, smaller buck for her first breeding.

It has been raining here and very cold. They had to close the big four lane highway here because the bridges froze over and there were accidents. Hope it is not like that in the morning. DH has 2 appointments, wound care and prosthetics. I am praying they will go ahead and fit him tomorrow. But I won' t be surprised if they don' t. I am worried they will keep putting him off with excuses until he just quits going back and all because we have no insurance. Our DD sent m see a long list of possible places that may help him and I need to start contacting them. Please pray we can get him a leg. He is getting so frustrated and depressed. Life is really hard right now.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9373460

Cajun sending many many healing energy to you and your Dh. So sorry to hear of the bad weather your having. That can't be easy when you have to get to Dr's . I hope they can work with you at the Dr's office.
I actually called a therapist to help me with my depression and that was 3 wks ago ! they have yet to call me back ??? i think its because my insurance has no mental health . They are getting a call from me tomorrow
Our goats are doing fine . eating and drinking
today was a high of 12 ! yikes.
this indoor stuff is getting old.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9373497

I don' t know if you all realize how much I rely on all of you here on this thread. Being in ministry many people think we don' t have bad days and we don' t get discouraged or depressed. Just because we are ministers does not mean we don' t have the same problems as everybody else. We know God can and does take care of us and we have faith but we still get down and need to talk sometimes. I cannot talk to people at church because I don' t want to bring them down or have them feel like they can' t come to us when they are in need. That is why I bring things here. If I get to complaining too much and start to bring any of you down, just give me a slap and I will straighten up.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9373579

I come from a family of ministers and i do rememeber the same thing. My mom would talk to our relatives and they would share their emotions. We forget that the people of the clothe are humans also .
don't worry Cajun. you can call on me anytime . :)
well i think tomorrow will bring a bit warmer weather ? maybe in the 20's ?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9373744

Thanks, Sue. It is amazing to me that people I have never met in person can be such good friends.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9373898

Cajun i know the feeling.
well 17 today.
ordered seeds from SSE
huttrite bean
going to try my hand a drying beans this year .
early blood turnip ( this one i m excited about )
jaume du boubs carrot. ( i think i spelled it right ? )
crisp mint lettuce
jimmy nardello pepper
still debating on getting potato's if i do its will be German Butterball
strawberry spinach ( actually a blight but still a fav !! )
next on the list is zinnia's
Bells of Ireland flower ( going to try it again , not much luck with them past years )
cup and saucer vine flower, again a fav !
i still have seeds from last year so i will also do more lettuce mixes
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9375370

Sounds like you are well on your way to a big garden. You are slowly building a very nice farm there. Are you still running your GH business?

Yesterday was nice. The sun was shining, no wind. The temps were still low but not unbearable. Good thing because we had to be out and about. DH finally had his stump casted!! I sure hope the rest of the process moves quickly. It worked wonders for his outlook.

I don' t know what it's like out today. I am feeling much worse so I have not been out. I have got to get out soon and feed up. Not looking forward to that.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9375410

Caj i closed the GH ... with everything that went on this year and the size i was getting , i couldn't do it all by myself.
i sure hope you can start to feel better soon. Good to hear things are going good with the progress of his loss limb. Can't be easy for either one of you . Sending healing energy to you and DH.
not much here today
still cold 19 this morning
with windchill even coler. brrrr
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9378033

Sue do you still have your GH? is it for sale? how big is it, etc?

I had ordered some barley flour about 6 m onths ago and forgotten all about it. It has been sitting in the subzero since about 2-3 weeks after I had ordered it. The Amish ladies at the store kept forgetting to tell me about it and after a month or so I just forgot all about it. I was helping to offload some stuff the other day and saw my box of flour with my name on it. I asked how long had it been there and the answer was "it's been a while now". So, since Debbie is visiting her folks today, I'm having fun in the kitchen. I have a huge loaf rising right now.

Had a lady called us the other day wanting some chicks. We told her we wouldn't have any for about 6 weeks. Then we'll have Buff orpingtons, and Auracana's. Our Auracanas all lay blue eggs. Be don't set any green ones. they make omelettes.

We have a heat wave coming. upper 30s, lower forties and even a couple days in the 50s over the next 10 days. I may rototill a couple spots if possible.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9378054

Sue, I hate you had to close your GH business. I know how much you enjoyed it and how much money and work you put in it to get it up and running. But I can sure understand it. You have had a very hard year personally. I hope you are able to get it going again one day.

I was thinking about how much grief and stress we have had this year. In the first 25 days of June we lost 6 people who were very dear to us. 2 by sickness, 2 by sudden death, 1 by suicide and the other by murder. Then DH nearly died during surgery. 2 weeks later her had his leg amputated. Then we lost my Momma and then our nephew passed. Without God we could not have survived. This year has got to be better.

Nick, I like the green eggs for looks.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9379315

Nik...thanks for posting the Dandelion Jelly. I been reading alot about the edible weeds around here. I am all into the dandelion.

I haven't caught up on updates yet. I hope every had a great Christmas and Holiday and Happy New Year.

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9379380

The green eggs are fairly common, the blue ones not so much
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 8, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9379565

Green eggs and ham, Sam I am!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9379695

I had four EEs. 2 layed green eggs and 2 layed blue eggs. I want to breed for olive eggers.

Finally felt good enough to get out and about a bit today. Took Galloway to the vet. He was listing to the left and falling over. He has an inner ear infection. I thought as much and had tried to clean his ears but I couldn't get deep enough in them. He got a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot and he is on antibiotics pills and ear drops now. I have to take him out on a leash to do his business so he does not fall into the creek. It is a 20 ft drop and would likely be the death of him at his age.

Got horse feed today. Had to take hundred pound sacks because they were out of fifties. Unloaded three into the barrels and my back is hurting tonight. Was hoping to have some help to unload but that did not happen. Still have 2 to unload but they can wait.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9379796

i thought i posted last night ??
Nik the GH was destroyed by a wind storm. it was a 20'x 60'
my EE used to lay blue'ish , know she is laying dark olive green ? is that common ?
well its a no go on the apple orchard. As much as i want to . i can't run it all by myself , there are to many variables that can go wrong. I would have employee's but i have to hire them first LOL then with apple pickers hiring them is a chore alone ! we had 20 people sign up last year and only one made it !
then what if i get sick ? or my kids ? there is no one else to cover me
phil the owner would help out to an extent but ??? he would rather not be part of the store area. understandable.
soooo with sadness i say " no" to the apple orchard :(
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 9, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9379896

Bummer!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9379936

I have some of the rigid polycarbonate panels and hope to get a greenhouse built in time to use it this year. I was hoping 12x 20. That would do all the seedlings I want or would need for the gardening members of Debbie's and my families. I think I'm going to build it lean-to style. We'll see how it goes.

I've never heard of an Auracauna laying blue, then later green eggs. But I'm far from expert in the things. I know that if all I set are blue eggs eventually all my hatchlings will be laying blue eggs. It may take a 1/2 dozen generations to get there, though. As I sell them I'll just tell folks how I did it and that there is always a chance that you'll get green eggers.

We are in the midst of a warming trend right now and we even have a day in the 60s forecast for this weekend. SO I guess we will be going from a white carpet to a muddy morass over the next few days. Ohwell, got a hamshank and some beans in the crockpot, and planning a big slab of blue cornbread later on. We can deal with the weather.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 9, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9380110

I have Ameraucanas and they lay blue or blue/green eggs. The only color change I've observed is that the hens that lay the most abundantly gradually lay paler eggs as the season progresses. Nik do you find any connection between the color of the hen and the blue egg laying trait?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9380340

the eggs that my hen lays are a split pea green. She may be a mix of something else ? strange how the colors did change ? but then again i had several black EE" hens and when the coon got most of my hens. I don't know which one was which LOL they all look the same black EE's LOL
my friends are hatching out chics by the hundreds ! he will have done over 600 by july ... i only have 4 in my incubator LOL
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9380733

I have some ducklings that we hatched in November. I have nothing in the incubator right now. In about a week I plan to seperate my breeds so I can get ready for spring laying/hatching. I can incubate 360 eggs with the 2 cabinet incubators (GQF Sportsman) and another 128 with my 3 table top incubators.
If it was up to me we would have nothing but Barred Rocks here on the farm, but folks don't buy those like they used to. Folks with kids, or who are just starting and have studied their breeds, want the Buff Orpingtons. I can sell those all day everyday. Most women and girls want the Auracaunas. Debbie loves the Auracaunas and can tell you anything you want to know about them. I do know that there are few true Auracaunas in North America.The true Auracaunas lay an egg that is small and a robin's egg blue. The adulterated birds we have here are actually what they call Americaunas. They are cross bred with something else, I have no idea what. Then there are EEs.The only requirment for a bird to be called an EE is that she lay eggs that are neither brown nor white. At any rate, I don't really care for any of the 3, but I can sell them all day and all night.

Debbie manages the flocks for the most part. She has a couple birds that are her favourites and she can tell you all about them. I can tell you their eggs are a bit smaller than a BRs but they do have a flavorful yolk to them. They don't lay as many as a BR does either. Even in the hieght of the laying season we seldom get more than 20 eggs from 30 hens. Right now we are getting about 16.

Buff Orpingtons lay a medium sized brown egg that has a sort of bronze colour to it. They can lay during the hottest part of the summer and in the coldest part of the winter. They will lay about 4-5 eggs a week per hen. They moult fast, too. And they are FRIENDLY and docile. You can pick them up and hold them and they will settle right down into your arm and just chill out. They have to be broken up fairly frequently as they LOVE to set. The first BO I had as soon as they started laying about 1/2 of them disappeared. I thought the coons got them but they had just gone into the tall grass to set. They are good mothers to their hatchlings. But if it was up to them they would lay a clutch of eggs then set then raise the chicks until the next year. SO, if you get Orps, be prepared to break them up. If they do hatch any chicks take them away from MommaHen. Put them in the basement or somewhere MommaHen can't see or hear them and she'll start laying again. But she'll disappear into the tall weeds first chance you give her to start another family.

BOs aren't the hardiest birds either. AFter they are about 1 1/2 years old they are very suseptable to worms and everything else. They just weaken and die. I like BO. But if I had my druthers I would have BRs and that's it.

I was called back to work yesterday so I start back today. Not sure if it's a regular thing or just for a day or three. but Ridgway hatcheries, should be gearing up for spring, so It may be a permanent gig again. We'll see. Wish me luck!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9381279

Nik good luck on the hatchings and the job. One day i will get up there and see the hatchery.
I love the BR also. i had a few but of course coons got them :( just have not gotten around to getting more.
Honestly my best layer is my TSC aka tractor supply chic or i believe what is called a golden comet ? she lays HUGE !!! eggs. nice brown.
would love to get more of them.
well no school for my kids tomorrow. uhg
rain on the way
got christmas decoration in jessica's garden down.
got some new decorations at the Hobby Lobby store in town. 90 % off christmas ! LOL
got some neat spring decorations for the gardens.
deer are eating my Red Bud tree ! grrrrr.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9381736

One way to keep deer from eating your redbud is to shake a can of cayenne all over it. It'll wash off in the rain, but it works.

Golden Comets are a hybrid. They are pretty much the standard in production of brown eggs. Dean has a bunch of them just starting to lay at the hatchery. They're all for sale and will all HAVE to go soon. Their eggs are no good for hatching because as a hybrid they won't breed true.

I worked until 4 yesterday and am leaving in a fewq minutes to go back to work today. I know I have to deliver some ducks to Mansfield. But not sure what else El Jefe has in store for me.

Sorry about your orchard. If you decide to get more comets from Ridgway, tell them I sent you. It probably won't make a difference, but it might.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9381872

i do remember you telling me about them Nik. I just never got around to getting the other hen house ready. I can put more in other hen house . I just need layers for egg production for farmers market sales. since they are so reliable they are good back up.
i do have coyote urine and some liquid fence but with so much rain coming in i can't spray it. i have heard about soap and or a plastic bag tied to the tree ? .
sounds like work is going good for you at the hatchery. always a good thing.
rain and in the 60's today ! wow strange weather for january
Cajun how are things going ? sending healing energy to you and the family.
darius what is the weather in WV. Tim works in WV , can't remember what part .
well off to feed chickens. got a few loosing weight. did 5 days tylan. today is wazine and vitamin boost . also got them eating chic start .
see if it works ?
wish i had injections for tylan but just don't have them :(

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9381895

Sue... FIRST, I'm not in WV, but just across the mountain ridge into Virginia.

I have a "recipe" from a friend in the Alps for a deer deterrent that I hope to make soon... I just need 10 pounds of bones, and to dig a hole for the cast iron pots to cook them in. If it works as he says, I could make some $$!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9381914

We are still coughing and hacking but looks like we are both on the better side of this thing now. I am dealing with a bad headache now.

Sorry about the orchard deal. But you are wise to hold off. You sure don't want to set yourself up for a possible failure.

One of my hens was a golden comet. I really liked her and she was a great layer. Huge egg.

Nik, you are always busy. Wish I could accomplish half as much as you do.

I have decided to sell my youngest doe. She just refuses to stay in the fence and I am over working on the fence anymore. I already have strands every couple inches. She is just not worth the headache. Should not have any problem moving her at a good price.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9382038

darius i guess i have WV on the brain. :)
good luck on the deer deterent. sure would be intersting to see how it turns out.
well rain stopped
making onion soup
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9382735

Well, still not back full time yet, but I made a couple dollars the last 2 days. Debbie and I both have a case of the funk. Hacking up stuff and generally feeling crappy. No nausea or diahrrea though, so not the flu. Debbie finished the quilt top she was making. Now we have to take it to the lady with the quilt frame to get the batting and back put on it. Then Deb will add the edging all around it. She calls it shells, but I think it looks like overlapping scales. Either way, it's pretty. She made this one specificly for our bed. Here's a pic. She has been working on this one for over a month, almost 3 in fact. I made her the patterns out of plexiglas. there are only 2 one is a 1/4 circle, the other is a corner with a 1/4 circle cut out. Because of the curves they all had to be pinned before they were sewn. Nine pins per pair. Then she sewed them into strips then into larger sections and finally into the finished product with the border around it. Yes, i am quite proud of her and brag about her alot.

Thumbnail by NikB

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 12, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9382808

Wow! That is really well done, and very pretty. Amazing diligence!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9382999

That's really nice, Nik. Congrats to Debbie!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9383286

I love quilts. Congrats on the near completion. That one looks like it might of been a little tedious.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 13, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9383507

There are quilts that are not tedious? Too much work for me! I too love quilts and am glad that there are brave quilt-makers out there to create them!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9383804

i had a post ?
great job on her quilt , gorgeous.
rain here today
first 4 H meeting today.
and the work begins
traded trucks with the DH. He gets the new one for work as it is a 1 ton and he needs to haul fuel tanks, and tools ect...
i get the " vroom vroom truck" its got a hemi LOL kinda fun to drive. got some power. i m more comfy in the Dodge then the new Ford. Not to mention our Ford is RED ! and you stand out like a neon flasher LOL . but i never did loose it in the parking lots ? LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9384655

That quirky is a dandy. My Momma was a quilter as is my Sister. My Momma was a master seamstress and there was no limit to what she could create. My sister likes to sew but I have no patience for it. I tried it. Bought myself a portable machine but I got aggravated with it I threw it in the floor one day and decided then and there sewing was not my calling. Looks like Debbie has the gift. You should both be proud. My sister sees Ragedy dolls for her grandkids. She made them for each f her son's when they were little and now she makes them for each grandchild as they arrive. She has 15 grandchildren and number 16 Will be added the end of this month. My nephew and his wife are flying to China to adopt their eighth child. They are taking their other adopted child with them to get him because they will be ' buddies' . Each of their children is a buddy to another. They have 6 biological children as well. Their oldest child is 9.

oops. Gotta run. My friend is on his way over with Little Billy. I hope love is in the air for Dusty, my adult doe.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9385596

Debbie has a bunch of quilt tops she has made, but hasn't had backs added yet. I told her from now on whenever she finishes one and takes it to the quilter, she should take one of those with her. We can afford it. I'd like to see her get all of them quilted and finished. Most of them sure are pretty.

The MacTavish has a bug of some sort. He has been tossing his cookies for days now. For the last three mornings I've had to clean dog vomit off the floor when I got up. He acts okay and has just as much fun outside as always, but he is upchuking ALOT. It has me a mite worried.

I made a triple batch of banana butter yesterday. I have enough to last me well into summer now! Going to try to get a bit more insulation up in the woodshop today. Always something going on...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9385631

good morning
it sure is a cold one today. brrrrr 20 outside
i m pretty bored today. i don't have anything planned :(
got some tasty recipes i m going to try today so i guess i will head out to the grocery . spicy black eyed peas and kale yummm.
i may just do my canning tomorrow ? get all that stuff out of the freezer downstairs.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9385751

The water level in the creek in front of my house is up, and water is already over the bank into the yard. It looks like we'll have more rain all day and probably overnight too. We do have flood insurance, but since I've lived here the creek waters haven't reached more than a third of the way up to the house. This time I'm pretty worried...

My neighbor has photos of the creek flooding really high and even across the road a couple of years before I moved here. The flooded road stranded everyone for several days.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9387936

We took Debbie's quilt top (the one in the picture) and another one she had to the quilter lady last night. Sharon wants Debbie to put at least one quilt in the fair and Debbie has agreed to do so. So, if you are at the Hardin County (Ohio) fair this September you can get a good look at Debbie's quilts.

My next door neighbor spread all his manure on my pasture yesterday. It kind of irritated me as I usually spread it and put a few yards on my garden. He hired someone else to do it (I did it free) with a HUGE spreader. We got home and there was manure all over the pasture. When I asked Marion about it he said the guy didn't charge much and got it all in 4 loads.

So I'm going to have to go with fresh manure this spring, or do without. I think I'll do without. I have all the duck/chicken litter I could want and leaves almost 2 feet deep. Either way, this will be an awesome garden. I have the home made composter if I want to add a bit of compost here and there.

Calling in my seed orders today. I already called in the order for my Gojii bushes and serviceberrys(juneberrys) I figure with building a house that ought to keep me busy this summer. Gotta have time for flying kites and fishing, too y'know.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9388141

my greatest task today was paying bills " ick"
Good news on the quilt , i m glad she will have one in the fair. I always enjoy looking at the quilts in our county fair. They are so pretty.
bummer on the manure.
that reminds me i have goat pens to clean... not an easy task at moment. wheel barrow has a flat :( and no outside fenceing to keep goats out while i clean inside LOL . but its a good day to do it .
got 10 eggs in incubator
one bunny making a nest. ( hoping for bunny babies ) tomorrow is the due date ! wish us luck.
anyone need firewood ??? i got tons !
bbl

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9388190

Sue, I just paid $75 for a pick-up truck load of seasoned white oak. Apparently no one around here has any clue how much a "cord" of wood is, they just sell it by however much their truck bed holds.

After this load was stacked I measured it, and it's around 60% of a full cord, so in my mind it was pretty expensive. I don't burn firewood much anymore unless the power is out, but I'm glad to have it just in case, for heat and cooking on my wood stove.

I got tired of having flat tires on my wheelbarrow (dragging out the compressor to inflate it was a PITA) so I bought a solid rubber tire. One of my friends has a wheelbarrow that has 2 tires. He says it's very stable to use, and he loves it. Kinda like this one:

Thumbnail by darius

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9388629

i have looked at those. I just keep procrastinating to get one. But this year is a must.
i cleaned out the goat pens and wow what a work out or i m realy out of shape LOL
the goats don't like my RTV wich is handy but they freak out when i back it in the barn. poor things
well off to bed
see you all in the morning
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9389731

We have a yellow wheelbarrow just like that and it makes work so much easier. But right now it has a flat. bummer.

My goats waste hay so I pick it up off the floor of the goat house when I need some for the dog house. He stays warm and it is not completely wasted. I don't give them a lot of hay because they waste it and I have not been able to get a proper hay feeder made for them. They need one with a solid front and a keyhole shaped opening for their heads. Once it hits the ground they won't eat it. Goats are picky eaters in spite of their reputations. Little Billy came on Monday for a two week stay. He is in with my grown doe, Dusty. I have the younger doe up the hill in the old chicken house because she is too young yet to breed. But I am going to sell her. She refuses to stay in the fence and I am beyond tired of dealing with it. I had planned to use another friend's buck to breed her and then see what kind of milker she is after she kids but I am over trying to keep her in the fence. My fences are tight and hot but I have come to the conclusion that if they don't learn to respect the fence when they are kids then it is lost cause. I will just have to hope Dusty has another doe kid I can keep instead.

I had to take my BC back to the vet. He has an inner ear infection and his balance is very off. He is on antibiotics and seemed to be getting a bit better so I let him out at 2 am. I opened the door 15 minutes later expecting him to be sitting on the porch and he wasn't there. I got dressed and took the flashlight out to look for him. He had fallen down they bank into the creek. It's about a 20 foot drop nearly straight down where he fell. It has been raining and the water is high. He was sitting in the middle of the rushing water and was so cold he could not move. I crawled down the bank with a rope and tied it around him. I had to drag him step by step up the bank. I got spasms in my lower back when I got him close to the top and had to lay down next to him until they passed so I could move my legs. I finally got him into the house and dried him really well with the hair dryer to warm him up. I gave him a half of one of his pain pills left over from the surgery. Thank the Lord he is doing fine with no ill affects from his ordeal. But his balance is still off. So he goes out on a leash at night now. I could not take another episode like that.

That's great about he quilts. I think she will win a ribbon. I would like to see more pics of the others. Quilting is a dying art. Used to be folks got together to put the backs on. I remember being at Maw Maw Vercie's house with Momma and the other ladies when I was a little kid. Her rack hung from the ceiling. Those are such precious memories for me.

Darius, did you get any snow? Thank the Lord it missed us. Snowed all around us but we were spared at our house. It has rained a lot but we are not in danger of flooding at our house. There has been flooding all around us. Been raining a whole lot back home too. Is your garden spot flooded. I guess being flooded in is a worry for you there.

Sue, are your goats gentle enough that you can put collars on them and stake them out to eat? I can just open the gate and let mine out to eat right now because there is nothing much in the garden but I stake them out during gardening time. What kind of rabbits do you have and what will you be using them for?

Steve got to try on a leg on Wednesday. He did not get one of his own but we are hoping he will. I asked the man how much the stripped down model costed and he said between $7000 & $12,000 dollars. He said most of the cost is in the foot part. I was surprised at that.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy   Thumbnail by CajuninKy   Thumbnail by CajuninKy      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9389966

Cajun so glad you and your pup are all right, what a scary thing to do .
Two goats are good enough to tie and walk but our little Ester is a cantankerous little girl. We do need to start working with them more. I don't let them out to pasture yet. We are more comftable with them in a fenced area We need to build one soon. Our neighbors dog is a PITA. Always gets out and i m afraid he will attack our goats. He killed their family pet guinea pig and has extreme prey drive !
our rabbits are little netherland dwarfs. I did see little bunnies movement yesterday . pretty excited !
welp i m late feeding our animals so its time to get moving
good day to you all
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9390591

My DBIL wanted to trade his Yamaha for a camper - seen more of the state today than I ever wanted too.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9390764

Cajun..I haven't been around much in the past several months and I have some questions and I don't know how to ask them. Steve is your husbands name? the pic above showing his new leg= is that the leg where he had the bad foot? and they had to cut it off?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9390960

morning everyone
weather prediction is a cold front coming in. will be single digits tues 4 and wend 6 not including wind chill.
i just may take the time to get the rest of the tomato's out of the freezer and make more salsa
had some test to do at the hospital but FIL was going to watch my kids while at hosp but he can't come out in that kind of weather , he is on oxygen.
going to have to bundle up the chickens outside. give them some clean straw

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9391536

I've been MIA since about 2 hours after I posted to Sue up above that I'd gotten firewood. Almost immediately after that a winter storm dumped a foot of wet heavy snow on us and I've been without elec. power for several days.

I'm one of the most prepared people I know; I always have firewood, and can cook and make coffee on my wood stove, have plenty of candles (and unfortunately also a couple of battery-operated lanterns that I wish I didn't because of the used batteries and the landfill).

My only problem was having my sister sleep with me because I had the only heat in the house. She stays up far too late, she snores, and she talks in her sleep!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9391610

was wondering what happened to you darius. glad your ok . sorry to hear sis snores .
well our weather will get pretty frigid this week and some snow. gave all animals extra straw and hay.
our baby bunnies are still doing good , mama bunny is a good mama too.
i wonder if my kids will have go to school on tuesday ? no school monday its a holiday
other then that not much else going on.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9396511

Cricket, yes my DH had his foot and lower leg amputated on July 28th of last year. The infection got to the point it could not be controlled anymore. They had tried to save his foot by taking 2 bones out and he nearly died during that surgery from blood loss. Two weeks later they had to amputate. He is much healthier now since the infection is gone. But it has been a hard blow.

Now for our great news. DH got a leg today!!!!!!!! He can walk again using the roller aid walker. That is the walker with the wheels and seat. They had given it to him when he had one of his previous surgeries. He walked from the van up the ramp and into the house with it. It is going to take him a while to build up his strength enough to walk without help but it is such an exciting thing to see him up and walking instead of sitting in the chair. We don't know how we will pay for it and they didn't say anything about it when they gave him the leg. It was made especially for him. We will trust God to make a way for us to pay for it. He never fails us. This is a wonderful blessing.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9396540

hooray for his new leg. i sure hope things go well for him and his leg. sending healing energy and good energy to you and your DH.
our blue splash silkie died today. can't say why ? its a bummer but she was not my fav hen. honestly she didn't lay eggs and she ate her eggs .
so no lose there really

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9399327

well not much to report
i m still doing the vegan healthier eating. Well this weekend was a bust LOL ate some donuts .
still cold and snow on the ground.
its time to start thinking 4 H for us. our groups have started .
i have lost one hen. i have two that are sickly looking ? and i just can't figure it out
kick myself for not hooking up with them comets you suggested Nik. I m already thinking spring eggs.
i also have turkey on the brain .
i need to get the plastic on the other coop and i can start getting birds.
i have not gone to any auctions as we have been busy
made 18 pints of salsa but i added to many jalepeno's and it sure is hot .
next is jam's to get the freezer done
we are looking into a wood burning furnace. sure hope we can get it by next winter.
hope everyone is warm and dry
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9399664

Sorry to hear about your chicken troubles. How are the goats doing?

Steve is doing pretty good on his leg. Walked a little bit in wally world but his stump is shrinking fast and the leg socket is loose. He put an extra "sock" on it after we got home and it was much better. I really doubt they expected it to shrink so fast but it looks like it will need to be adjusted very soon. It is amazing what it has done for his mental outlook. He may be going back in the hospital tomorrow for a week. They want him on the rehab floor to learn how to use his leg. I won't have to stay at the hospital with him this time because he is not sick. So I will be able to get some work done with him out of the house. I am going to clean every room and get rid of some stuff. He borders on being a hoarder and the house is just too small for all his things. He never lets me get rid of stuff so I am going to make the best of this opportunity. LOL

I got myself a little greenhouse to start my seeds in. I am going to keep it in the house. I got it for $20 at TSC during their dollar days sale. It was regularly $30. Today I got 2 grow lights and hung them under the shelves. I need to get 2 more lights. They are a couple inches too long so I had to hang them diagonally but I don't think it will make a difference. I have gotten most of my seeds together that I want to plant. I also bought 2 bags of moisture control potting soil today so I will get busy on the seeds tomorrow.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9399800

great Job STeve, looking good .
i was just thinking the other day, this time of year i m usually busy getting started in my GH. :( oh well i like the tone in my house
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9400605

It looks like I'm back to work at the hatchery. I have worked 13 days out of the last 14 and I'm working again tomorrow.Caught and sold 335 comets today. There are still a bunch there Sue. And they are starting to lay. Not just comets, Silverlace wyandottes, a couple BRs, And a few RIRs. Plus we have lots of guineas and Muscovy ducks. All adults about 20-30 weeks old.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9400664

I wish I could afford the shipping on some comets and some muscovies. I had one comet hen and I loved her and muscovies Are my favorite duck. They just hiss so they are much quieter than other ducks.

DH is discouraged and a bit depressed tonight. Looks like he might not get a week in rehab after all. He really needs it to learn how to use his new leg. He is afraid he is going to fall and hurt himself or his new leg or that he is going to do something to hurt his stump and put him farther back in his progress. Please say a prayer that he gets to go.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9400697

I love the comets The one i have lays jumbo eggs ! does the ones at the hatchery lay jumbo ? i m still interested. I may do a road trip.
If i call do i tell them Nik sent me ? so you can get credit . Don't mind doing it.
well i m going to brag here so bare with me
but some wonderful friends made me two quilts . One is for me and each square represents something i love. gardening, chickens , canning , apple orchard.
the second one is a memory quilt for Jessica. it is beautiful . Has an angel in the middle and blue birds
Even our dog Lucy wanted to see what was going on

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors      Thumbnail by taynors   

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 28, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9400829

Those are beautiful! I love quilts and greatly admire those with the patience and skill to create them.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9400974

good morning
well my project for today is to get all the recycling organized. Today forecast is warm in the 60's but windy !! whoohooo its w indy .
but i can do some clean up
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9402263

Yeah Sue, tell them I sent you. It may et you a discount (probably not) and will definitly et me some brownie points.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9402315

ok will do. Are you going to the Degraff auction this weekend ? i was thinking about it , i have never been to that one. But weather usually plays a part in my decision LOL The truck is getting fixed so i do hope it is fixed by today or tomorrow.
rain today in the 60's but by tonight will turn to snow and then down in the 20's .
Can you say Ice skate rink at my house LOL
got garlic bean soup in the slow cooker today.
our baby bunnies are doing well. Eyes are open and they are hoping about .
We are hoping the other bunny is pregnant , i forgot to write it down .. duh LOL so i will have to wing this one.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9402853

I used to go to degraff every month, but now I just go in April and May. And I NEVER sell stuff there. anymore. Now when I auction I go to BLT livestock auctions in Marysville. They only charge you 15% vs 25 at Degraff. Tomorrow they are crating up all the Silver laced wyandottes and the few Buff Orps. That will leave the comets yet and guineas. Along with maybe 30 muscovies. I will be on the road to Greenville, Brookville, and Botkins. So it'll be a long day for me.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 30, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9402860

NikB, you got the g working!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9402904

I got to BLT also. but we have not gone in 3 months . to cold brrrrr.HOpe the weather isn't to bad for you tomorrow NikB.
darius are you getting much rain ?
Cajun hope your doing ok also and how is the husband doing ?
made a great vegan bean dish
red beans
black beans
tomato
tomato juice with garlic
chilli powder
no chicken broth
salsa
cooked in slow cooker and came out awesome !
made a great bean over brown rice.
going to try it with quinoua . or my gluten free whole wheat pasta
add hot sauce and its rockin
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9403115

Those quilts are really nice and such a thoughtful gift. Quilting is an art for sure.

We had really nice weather yesterday and I took advantage of it. DH drove himself to the store to sit around and visit all day. He is working on learning to use his leg. I was glad to get him out of the house so I could clean a bit. It has really gotten rough around here the last year. Too much energy spent on trying to keep him alive and mourning over losing loved ones. It didn't leave any energy for cleaning. But the weather was nice yesterday so I opened the Windows and got started. I still have a ways to go but I got a lot done and I feel good about that.

I got almost a tray of seedlings started in my little greenhouse. There is more I want to plant but I have to be careful. I don't have a lot of room to garden and I always end up with more plants than I have room for. I am collecting cardboard right now to make another planting bed and to put around the tires I plant my melons in. I need to keep the weeds down. My melons nearly got lost in the weeds last season. I also need to get my strawberry tower build. I have enough pots in graduated sizes to put one together now.

Little Billy went home yesterday. I hope he performed his duty so we will have kids in June. He is a cute little fella but Dusty was ready for him to leave. LOL Now I need to concentrate on selling Cinnamon.

Sue, any pics of the bunnies? I used to raise rabbits and hope to again at some point. How many do you have?

It has rained all day today and I am afraid there will be flooding around here. We went to get feed today and water is running off the mountains all over. Waterfalls everywhere. No fear of flooding from our creek but water does flow through my basement off the hill beside the house. Calling for freezing temps and snow the next few days. Gonna be forthwith all the water on the ground now. Have I mentioned lately that I hate cold weather?

We have been adopted by a cat. I am trying to give her away. She looks to be about a year old and she is a Maine Coon Cat. She is pretty and very friendly but she likes to get under your feet and that is not good. The MD gives me trouble picking my feet up as it is and DH surely does not need to get tripped up by a cat. Surely somebody will want her.

My dog is getting a bit better. He still has balance problems but not nearly so bad. I don't think it was an infection at all. I think it was that syndrome older dogs get. Sometimes they recover and sometimes they don't. We are blessed that he seems to be getting passed it. I still take him out on a leash at night. He has a blanket he sleeps on at night. He scratched it into a pillow and layed his head on it to sleep. I need to get him a soft bed.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy   Thumbnail by CajuninKy   Thumbnail by CajuninKy   Thumbnail by CajuninKy   Thumbnail by CajuninKy

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9403747

poor kitty hope you find a good home for her
0 outside today
our older goat is not feeling well ? she just ain't acting like her usual self ?
i will get our my goat thermometer and see if she will let me take her temp ? LOL
i don't see bloat signs so far ?
not much going on
to cold to play outside
so i m just getting my tax stuff organized. Dear goodness i have no idea where anything is ??? my life has been in zombie land for the last 9 months .
Caj we only have two little bunnies . I m hoping the other doe is pregnant.
i think i may hit the store and get some snacks . gonna be a long weekend with this cold and snow
brrrrrrrrr
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9403778

Get yourself a buck and you will have a barn full of bunnies in no time at all. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9404272

we have two bucks and two does. but one doe and buck just didn't make contact i guess ?? so we are trying her again with a different buck.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9405236

Have you ever raised rabbits before? I find it interesting that a doe does not come into heat or season like other animals. The act of breeding causes her to ovulate. You should always bring the doe to the buck's cage, never the other way around. She will fight him in her cage and won't breed. Are the rabbits for 4H?

My seeds have not sprouted so I put them a bit closer to the grow light. Hope that helps things along. I toyed with the idea of making another bottom heated tray for sprouting but I don't have kitty litter right now. I may get some this week in town when we go for the doc appointment.

DH is doing well on his leg. Doing a good bit of walking. We went to the barn yesterday to unload some feed and he walked up and down the barn hall with his roller aid. He was proud of himself. His stump is shrinking fast and holding up well. They will have to resize his leg soon. I still don't know how we will ever pay for it. I just hope they don't send Bobby and Big Juicy out to repo it. I'd hate for them to have to "git licked". LOL

I got my Eagle Nest Poultry catalog today. They have good prices. I think I might order a few meat birds if nothing else. Have any of you ever tasted pheasant? I sure thought they would be more expensive. They are just $1.50. The meat birds are $1 and $1.16 each. They have the Welsummers I was thinking of getting for just $2 but they are only available in straight run. EEs are $1.20 straight run and $1.80 sexed. Some of the cockerels are only .60 . But before I can get any birds I have to get my rat wire put in my coop.

It was very old this morning. 14 with a wind chill of 0. Had a bit of snow but not much ice. The sun came out and melted so I was able to get up to the road to go feed the horse and pony and I had to go to the pharmacy to get meds. Wasn't too bad except for the wind.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9405490

yes they are 4 H rabbits. they don't seem to fight much but run around more.
i m off to bed
good night frends
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9406084

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296629/

New thread

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America