-
AuthorContent
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9372095

Another year has past and I think it was a good one for our blooms and pictures. Please join us as we push into 2013. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289528/

I'll start off with these nice photos of Schombodiacrium (Smbdcm) Star of Rio 'Rose' AM/AOS.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9372099

There is a brand new spike on L. anceps V. Vietchiana 'Ft. Caroline' HCC/AOS. I love the form and color.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9372106

Two of my Psychopsis orchids are blooming. The first is Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly' and the second one is Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley'. What you cannot tell by the photos is that mariposa 'Green Valley is at least twice the size of the alba.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9372118

Slc. India Rose Sherwood is blooming on a new spike.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9372120

Laurel's gift of Tetratonia 'Dark Prince' seems happy in the OC and continues to bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9372133

Then there is Blc. Phu Lin X B. cucullata still plugging away. I love the color.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9372139

Vanda Sinlak X Vanda Bitz's Heartthrob is showing off.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9372143

Here is a nice NOID Dendrobium.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9372145

Dendrobium Chan Chao is fully open:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9372152

Here is Wilsonara Red Stars 'Rooster'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9372156

This is Enc. atropene, var. alba 'Jim' X Bepi. Bradly's Judy 'Spots'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9372166

One of my Spathoglottis plicatas is blooming.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9372170

I was going to post this as a last look at big floofy Blc. Annie Belle but I see it has put up a new spike with two new buds.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9372183

No new thread would be complete without a few dancing ladies. I'm not sure of the name of the yellow one but the other is Onc. Sharry Baby 'Misaki'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9372185

I'm going to throw you a curve ball here and show you my new bromeliad called Neoregelia 'Cotton Candy'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9372218

An outstanding start to the year, Jim. Thanks for the new thread and all the lovely flowers. (even if one is a brom)

Love your white Spath, and that Den. Chan Chao still reminds me of reindeer . . .

btw, you can upload multiple pictures without using the CTRL, and if you just do them one at a time, they come out in the right order.

Or you can upload all the pictures first using CTRL, then write the captions to fit the order of the pics.

I have nothing much net, but my "opal" Spathoglottis is still opening flowers happily, and my "Red Lady" papaya is confused, blooming in January . .. it is a self-fruitful varitey, btw. (you don't need male and female plants for pollenation)

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 6:55 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9372237

I actually have 2 Orchids in bloom and need to download the pics.

Vanda question - how do you keep the roots from drying out? I spritz them a couple times a day & have soaked them occasionally but it seems it is just too dry indoors in the Winter.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9372245

If you mist them twice a day and soak them once a week, I'd say you are a pretty good mom. The only other thing you can do is put pans of water under them or add a humidifier.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 1, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9372281

Nice way to start the year, Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9372365

Elaine, it looks like you posted, without comment, a Spathoglottis plicatta and a female papaya tree. What's up?

Yes, I know you can manually work around the scrambled photo problem but it irritates me.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 1, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9372431

Neolauchea pulchella, the flower is about 3/16" across. Lots of buds
Encyclia "octopus" , as my grandson calls it, just keeps on keeping on
Speckles is up to six flowers now
Cym's are in spike, can't wait for them. Also a Paph. and some Onc.

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9372449

Well I had a ligh tbulb moment. I had a long clear plastic bag. I misted the roots really well and then put the roots into the bag attaching the bag to the pot. Kind of a mini greenhouse to keep in the humidity but not closed tightly so there will be air circulation.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9372521

Yes, Jean, remember air circulation is as important as the moisture.

Ted, you are coming right along. Pretty blooms!

Here is a better picture of Lc. White Spark 'Panda'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9372523

Rhynchovola David Sander has open a new bloom:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9372525

Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars has two new spikes with this first one just opening.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9374415

Melanie is hopping mad! Someone went in my orchid house and cut a bloom off my orchid! You know the cattleya I've been waiting forever for? Yesterday it was half open so today I went out to see if it was fully open and instead I found a stem. The cut is too clean for it to be a critter. You can see it in the photo below. Dad is going to Home Depot and get a padlock for the shade house. Sad that I can't trust people to stay off my property and out of my stuff! The sad part is, if someone really wanted it, I probably would've just given it to them. I have two more buds on it, one of which is half open today. I took a picture in case this is all I get to see of it. For the record, it's Rlc. 'Hawaiian Wizard'.

Melanie : (

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9374484

That's a shame. It makes me wonder what kind of a low life would do something like that. I think I will start locking the OC doors as well.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9374487

Mel, It very well could have been a squirrel, rabbit, mouse...or a human invader, but I've seen squirrels eat the blooms off my Hoya's and leave a super clean "cut"...they are attracted to them for the nectar...Rabbits ate the buds/blooms on several of the Monk's orchids...again it looked like someone cut it with a knife..

But I feel your frustration, something ate the outer petals of my Lc Cariad's Mini Quinee, out in the greenhouse, I now have a deformed bloom.
I'm hoping to get some bloom pics of several orchids blooming in the next few days, just been so super busy I've been cross eyed

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9374599

OO, whoever did it, doesn't that make you crazy! We wait SO long for those blooms.

I agree with Mj, it could have been a squirrel. They "cut" the stems of my mangoes very cleanly with those sharp little teeth.

I had an Odontobrassia for 3 years, and a raccoon broke off the first bloom spike before it had a chance.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9374602

I would have guessed a critter too but I think Melanie has a door on her orchid hut.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9374646

I do have a door with a latch up high (to keep kids out) athough I suppose a squirrel could squeeze through the wooden lattice. But I think a critter would've eaten all three blooms and not just the one. When they've eaten my vandas they've eaten all the buds. I'm getting a padlock anyway and then at least I'll know humans can't get in there (unless they use bolt cutters and why would anyone be that determined)?

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9375248

Well MJ was right. I found the remains of the orchid behind the shade house today. You could see it had been nibbled. There were also two of my vanda blooms out front. : ( Next stop, rat poison! Must have been a small squirrel, or maybe a mouse, to fit through the lattice. I took a picture of the second bloom opening so I can enjoy it in case it disappears.

Melanie (still putting that padlock on, though)

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9375283

I'd go get some more screening to put over the lattice, Melanie. OR maybe staple wire or strings between the slats on the lattice to make the holes smaller? Once the squirrels develop a taste for your orchids .. . There's also a scent deterrent spray called "Critter Ridder" that slows them down a lot. (wear a mask when you spray it, it makes you sneeze!)

Some of those Catts have such a strong fragrance, you could be attracting critters from blocks away! When mine are blooming, I bring them in the house because the raccoons come into the pool cage after the yummy spice cookie scent if I leave them outside.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9375286

Dad and I had talked before about screening the lattice. May have to do that since these critters really irritate me. Like there aren't thousands of acorns on the ground! I'm kinda surprised it took them this long to find the shade house. Sigh. A gardener's work is never done...

Melanie

And Happy Birthday to Jean!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9375396

By all means, happy birthday Jean!!

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9375404

Thank You for the B-day wishes. I've been out helping my handi-man replace some rotting siding on the studio. And my squirrels have taken 1 bite out of almost every tangerine I have. They are just nasty critters.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9375443

I've already wished Jean a Happy Birthday twice. Three is the charm. Happy Birthday once again, Jean!

Beautiful photos to start off the month. We are at the cottage with the kids this week. I'll have some new photos to post by the middle of next week when I return.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9375499

I'll get in line with the birthday wishes, Jean. Have a happy one!

I got a belated gift from my kids in the mail today, a new terrestrial, Phaiocalanthe Kryptonite 'Chariot of Fire'. Can't wait to see it bloom, but it may take til next year. It's fairly small compared to my other Phaius and I can't see any sign of a spike. My Phaius tankervilleae has five big fat spikes, though - Yay!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9375934

Thank you all for the B day wishes. Spent most of yesterday working on replacing some rotting siding on the studio. It was a chilly, overcast, windy day. Face was windburned last evening & the HOT shower felt wonderful.
DH is attempting to bring me into the current century & got me an iPod touch. Since I still have a flip phone this is all new technology to me. i did manage to set up an iCloud email act & took a few pics. Perhaps I'll be better at posting them now!!!!

The windows should be in the Sunroom by this time net week. I keep telling my Orchids that the wait for good light is almost over!!!! Guess I should think about looking for a couple nice plant stands!!!!!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9376237

Melanie went shopping again! This time at the Sarasota Orchid Festival. I thought I was very particular this time. I tried to look beyond the floofy cattleyas and dinner-plate vandas that I tend to favor (although some of those came home with me, too)!

1. V. Pompimol x V. Simirun 'May'
2. Pot. Jairak Tropic
3. Blc Young Kong 'Sun #16'
4. Tolumnia Pralor 'Genting'
5. Pot. Red Crab 'Uncle Wang'

Laurel, the cattleya you brought me has Red Crab in its cross so I'm sure it's gonna be gorgeous and smell good!

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9376246

I also found Neostylis 'Lou Sneary' Bluebird. It smells awesome even though he's a small one! It's the first two pictures.

I also bought Bolopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost'. Jim posted this one a few months ago and I liked it; then, I saw it at his house and REALLY liked it so I'd been keeping an eye out for it. I thought I had found one today but it turned out to be a Zygo something-or-other. But the next table over had the correct one I'd been looking for so I had to get one for myself! No pictures since it's not in bloom right now; the vendor had a sample but I told him I had a friend who had one and I knew what it looked like.

And finally, Hawaiian Wizard is pretty much open so I took another picture to enjoy. The squirrels got at my vandas yesterday so it looks like Dad is going to have to screen in the whole house. Luckily, we have plenty of screen...not sure why...but we do.

Oh, Mom fell in love with one of the display orchids. It's Cattleya walkeriana var. semi alba. It's white with a purple lip (the picture she took of it is super blurry or I would post). It surprised me that she liked it so much. The grower whose display it was didn't have any and he said the ones at his greenhouse were all purple anyway. So I found someone selling one on eBay (and it has that purple lip just like the one at the show) so I bought it for her. She has a birthday coming up this month. : )

By the way, I could only bring myself to buy the one vanda because Jim spoiled me in Apopka. I was telling Mom how they only cost $12 there and she was like, "What?!" The ones at the show were at least $35 all the way up to over $100. When are we going to Apopka again, LOL!!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9376256

Here's a few random pics Mom and I took. My battery went dead like five minutes after we got there. Blame myself for not having it charged. I was taking too many pictures of butterflies yesterday. Anyway, I also forgot to mention that Rlc. Hawaiian Wizard was featured in one of the displays and the vendor had lots for sale. I like when I can recognize an orchid that I own. It makes me feel smart, LOL!

1. Ascda. Fuch's Sunset x Ascda. Phairot
2. Blc. Hey Song 'Tian Mu'
3. Rlc. George Herbert Walker Bush 'Waldor' This flower was HUGE and won a purple ribbon for best large cattleya in show
4. A grouping of Blc. Robert Palmer 'Palmer's Peach'. You know, Palmer orchids was one of the vendors and I don't remember seeing this one for sale. Maybe they're new. Hmmm...
5. Paph. Magic Leopard x Paph. Hsingying Rubyweb There's a lady in my club who loves spotted orchids; I bet she would have tried sneaking this one out under her coat!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9376267

I forgot the orchid Mom bought. She whisked it away to the master bath really fast. It's a no-name Phal but it's pretty. I pointed it out because I thought it was unusual. As I was reaching for it the people next to me said they were looking at that one, too. I told them there was one right next to it that was the same but I guess they only wanted the one in my greedy little hands because they wandered off. You can't be slow or hesitate around orchid people - they're crazy (me included)! The second one is the Phal I bought her in Apopka; just wanted to prove she was keeping it alive, LOL!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9376380

Melanie, you did good! All are nice but I really like the Neostylis and I know you will be happy with Bolopetalum Midnight Blue. That's a nice Phal your mom got.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9376459

Wow, you got a lot of beauties, Melanie. I didn't get there until almost 3pm this afternoon, after a leisurely lunch downtown, then fighting traffic with "Thunder by the Bay" the motorcycle convention in town . . . holy cow, they're loud!

I only bought one, Cymbidium Silco Yellow from Charlie Chapman. I got to chat with him for a few minutes - what a nice fellow. I don't have a picture of my new baby yet, it was getting dark when I finally got home.

But like Melanie and her mom, I did take a few pictures on my way around the show area. Purple vandas were gorgeous, but again I resisted . .. didn't get any names, they were hanging up too high. Little purple and white Potinara was stunning, and I thought I had the label in focus . . . arg. I just loved the color of this Bc. Yellow Bird 'Fred', and the little Coe 'Delia' really had sweet flowers.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2013 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9376464

Here's my shot of 'Palmer's Peach' and lastly, this Phaius caught my eye, turned out to be Phaiocalanthe Kryptonite 'Chariot of Fire' which is the plant my kids sent me as a gift! I was so delighted to see it in bloom, and also that it would have been one I'd have chosen.

Last one, I'd actually picked this one up to buy, and realized it's flower is nearly identical to my Den. Judith Nakayama. This one was not a Den, though.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9376478

Thanks Jim! And good job Elaine! Lots of nice photos.

Was Chapman the one who was only selling Cymbidiums? I walked right by him then. Where were his vandas, I demand to know!

One good thing was when we were walking around, Mom pointed to a plant and mentioned how pretty it was. It turned out to be B. 'Little Stars' which we both won in the raffle back in November. Ours are still babies but at least she'll like them when they bloom!

And it just ocurred to me...why wasn't Palmer selling any of those peach colored cattleyas? I swear I would have bought one if I'd seen one. Mom said she would have too.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9376514

I should have gone as it looks like it was a good show and the weather was perfect. It is just that the OC is getting full and besides, we bought new furniture for the den and I have to get this mess cleaned up and the room cleaned out so they can deliver and set up the new stuff.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9376519

Yes, Chapman's only had Cyms for sale. I guess they brought the best of what was in bloom from their greenhouse. Maybe all his Vandas are finished? He told me he's sold out all his Phaius plants to another grower, too. That's a shame because he sold me a gorgeous Phaius tankervilleae last year that had two spikes, and this year it has five! I wanted to get another from him.

I've been meaning to make a trip up to Palmer Orchids, because I've had a Neofinetia falcata on my Wish List for over a year, and they're the only local grower that has them. Did you get your Neostylis from them? They were sold out of all their Neo's by the time I got there, darn it. I'll bet they sold out of 'Palmer's Peach' immediately. It's such a great color.

Here's one more pic from the show. I loved the markings on this one, and once again I thought I had the label in focus, but . . not! Sorry all. Dumb to not get the names.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2013 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9376520

Well Jim, the Tampa Bay Orchid Society is having their show the first weekend in March which is right around the corner. Good luck with the furniture; my parents just had a hot tub delivered and it was quite an adventure getting it in place.

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9376528

Elaine, I did get the Neostylis from Palmer's Orchids. Very nice people. Actually, everyone was very nice. Orchid people may be crazy, but it's all in good fun. I guess on our next trip to Apopka we'll have to visit Chapman's again and try to talk him out of whatever he has in his greenhouses! Maybe he'll be willing to give some of them up this time, LOL! I did buy a nice cattleya and a paph from him last time but he's got some vandas I would love to own. I made him promise he'd be at the USF plant festival in April so maybe he'll have some good stuff then.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9376607

I've been trying to talk Charlie out of a division of his Stanhopea nigroviolacea for years and he just will not turn it loose. Lots of Phias spikes out under the oak tree.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9376670

I did get to kid Mr. Chapman a little bit about that and we had a good laugh. Said to my friend "we'll have to make a trip to visit Chapman's up in Apopka some time, they have the best selection of different varieties, then when you want to buy something really unusual, Mr. Chapman says 'nope, you can't have that'. " I'm guessing he keeps us coming back by doing that, Jim. What do you think?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 5, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9376774

Love all the show pics and Melanie i love all the orchids you posted.
I just have the same paph open but with 3 flowers now.

Thumbnail by breeindy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9376899

Bree, that is stunning!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9376903

I can make it over to Tampa 1st weekend in March for an Orchid show. Have a friend in Newport Ritchie I need to go visit.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9376908

Jean, I am just 5 minutes from New Port Richy. You must come see the OC!

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9377121

Jim - you will need to tie my hands!!!!! Would LOVE to come & see your collection in person.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 6, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9377152

nice pics. Bc. Yellow Bird 'Fred' is on my wish list

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9377155

Jean, that would be awesome if you could come visit. Jim's OC is deifinitely worth the trip in itself. Heck, his whole yard is fun to walk around.

Dad and I figured from the evidence that it must be mice eating my orchids. Therefore, we have laid out poison for them. Dad promised he would deal with the dead ones. I used to run the commissary in college and we had a real mice problem. I would call the maintenance man to come deal with the dead ones because I just can't do it. I'm kind of a wuss like that. Makes me wonder why the hawk in the neighborhood isn't keeping them in check. I'll have to lecture him on not doing his duty, LOL!

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9377158

I forgot to post that one of the vendors yesterday was from Apopka. I didn't know if we would want to visit him on the next trip. He's the vendor I bought the Bolopetalum from. He had a pretty nice variety. Here's his website: www.orchidspecialist.com

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9377388

Hm, I think you need owls or a cat to deal with mice, Mel. Hawks hunt in the daytime and mice are out at night. Be careful where you put out the bait, so things like birds don't eat it, or you might have more than just mouse bodies on your hands. Still need to screen the orchid hut, too, or they will come back sooner or later. It's cheaper and more humane than putting out poison in the long run.

My hawks aren't much help with the squirrels either.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9377476

Melanie, we need to write down that address and check them out the next time we are in Apopka.

I have more squirrels than hawks as well.

Out in the OC today, I found a new spike on Blc. Golden Tang.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9377479

Just opening today is Bl. Mem. Bernice Foster.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9377488

Then there is Carol's constantly blooming Gerberara 'Snow Ballet'

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9377492

I spotted a brand new spike on Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9377496

Then there is Miltassia Luke Skywalker.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9377502

And look at the buds and blooms on Lc. White Spark 'Panda'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9378009

Had to share my rescue orchids from a big box store. All of these were purchased for less than $8.00. No named ones, of course, but for that price I am just enjoying the blooms.
And here is a photo of my Oncidium Twinkle putting on a great show, one of my favorite plants. Also love this Sweet Sugar Million Dollar oncidium with its huge yellow blooms. And a NOID white & purple cattleya that always gives me lots of large blooms.
Chiqui

Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9378082

I just love that Snow Ballet, I looked online to see where I might find one but couldn't find it...

chiq - That Oncidium Twinkle is pretty spectacular !!

I finally got some pics...

Christensonia vietnamica x Vanda cristata both the whole plant and bloom...a cute mini that I got two seedlings of and got lucky with different blooms on both.
the next one is the same with a different bloom, this is from last fall but it's spiking again also.

BPL Golden Peacock Orange Beauty

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9378091

And Cymbidium Sarah Jean Ice Cascade, bloom and plant

and my poor deformed lc cariad's mini quinnie from getting chewed on.
It's in the house now, not sure what got to it out in the greenhouse, but at leas they didn't get the whole thing. Door is closed at night, but generally open during the day.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9378111

Fabulous show, Jim and Chiqui. You did great with your rescue Phals there! btw, HD has a buy one get one deal on orchids that goes until tomorrow if there are any more that interest you. Love that Onc. Twinkle, but that pale yellow is just my very favorite color anyway.

Looks like maybe a snail, Mj. Check around/under those pots in the greenhouse! Mini Quinee is still so pretty, though. Your Cym looks fabulous, too. I have a Sarah Jean, but all my Cyms had a bout of brown scale last fall, and I only have one spike coming now, sadly.

To make up for that, I bought a new one - Cym. Silco Yellow - at the orchid show last weekend. It's supposed to be a heat tolerant one that might bloom twice a year! We shall see.

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9379394

I thought I was falling for vandals, but so many posts here have gotten me changing my mind.
My one dendrum has a couple of yellow leaves. Could it be a change in temperature inside the house.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9379541

My Vandas like it warm and humid. Apart form that, they are pretty care free.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9379580

Some Dens need a cool, dry dormant period in the winter. If you post a picture, I'm sure one of the experts around here can tell you if that's what yours needs, Peg.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 9, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9380199

Dendrobiums like very bright light, usually more than inside can provide.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9380216

Many Dendrobiums are deciduous or partially deciduous. That is one reason it helps to know what you have. I grow a lot of Dendrobiums but could not necessarily tell you what you have as there are so many. I have Dendrobiums in a space that goes down to high thirties at night and fifties by day and others that never go below fifty five. Some get watered every day and some have not been watered since Thanksgiving. There is a great range in their light requirements as well.

If your Dendrobium is loosing some or all leaves on the older canes but otherwise looks healthy it is partially deciduous. Slow down on watering. If you have a typical big box Den it should dry out between waterings in winter or just misted enough to keep the canes from shriveling until you see new growth starting.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9380538

Thanks for the uplift a out my den. I will post a pic later. I had no idea they go into dormancy.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 10, 2013
12:28 AM

Post #9380674

Yes very true Laurel. I have a few that lose all there leaves and are just canes over winter and grow back as it warms up but i also have alot that keep there leaves all year. Yes there is alot of different types of Dens and a photo would be great as we may be able to tell you which it is.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9380738

With the nice weather we are having, the Orchids are being moved out to the windowless sun room today for a much needed dose of good sunlight. No cold weather predicted so they will be much happier out than in. And I'll be moving out there with them!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9380820

Yep, it's truly perfect orchid weather and predicted to last well into next week, thankfully. My grandbaby is bringing her parents for a visit so good weather will be wonderful for them to get some r & r and me to do some grandmothering.

Hope to have some Catts opening in honor of my visitors next week. I discovered buds ready to pop on my Pot. Fire in your Eyes a couple of days ago. Can't wait! (well, I've been waiting since last April, so I suppose I can wait another week . . )

Still have two colors of Spaths, a noid Phal giving me a second bud, and the old noid Brassavola still hanging on. My pedigree B. 'Yellow Bird' has two spikes getting ready to open, so I'm looking forward to comparing it to the old plant.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9380883

Sundance Orchids is having a sale thru Sunday...if anyone is interested...just came across their website while looking for something.

http://sundanceorchids.com/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.detail&evid=2053&Itemid=54&year=2013&month=01&day=10&title=sale&uid=462dc5e501db53e8b5c92ce6f751e120
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9380916

Watered this morning and realized it was too wet to take pics. Will wait until it dries out. It's a gllomy day and might take a while. There's a new yellow Vanda in bloom and maybe you can get a foggy glimpse of the Angraecum in the first photo.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013

Post #9381053

All the Orchids are back on the porch & hopefully loving this humid, warm weather. Found shoots on a few to include the Phal that I didn't kill!!! I had to clean it up with alcohol again. Then gave the roots a good dose of cinnamon. Thought I'd sprinkle on some DE & now can't find the container.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9381121

Jean, how's the construction coming along? What are you going to do for ventilators?

I've got two forms of Dendrobium lichenastrum. This one is youngest. Den. lichenastrum var. prenticei. Very tiny. I have missed the blooms before.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9381123

Maxillaria sanguinea flowers are almost hidden at the base of the leaves. I'll post more as the flowers mature.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9381125

This was a cutting from Steve Arthur of Steve Arthur Orchids. One more flower is coming. It has almost doubled in a year. I'll have to mount the mount!

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9381130

A few photos of the newest Vanda in bloom. Vanda Khao Lak x Vanda Thailand Gold. The last photo shows a comparison of the V. Charles Goodfellow cross.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9381136

I was disappointed to come home and see the condition of this first time bloom on Angraecum sesquipedale. These are hard to bloom and very temperamental. They don't like being repositioned and hate repotting. I've got it in a wicker basket with hopes of slipping it in to a new basket as this one deteriorates. Praying it won't notice if I'm stealthy about it. The long spur is very cool.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9381138

Beallarea Tropic Tom is at the bottom of the shelves so it is definitely blooming at it's best.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9381157

Very nice, Laurel. I'm especially forn of the yellow Vanda, Khao Lak X Thailand Gold.

We are close to breaking high temperture records the past few days and I see it is 82 outside right now. The forcasters say there is no sign of cooler temps in the foreseeable future. I don't know if I should do spring pruning/cleanup or hold off until mid-February. We had one overnight low of 42 degrees which must have been winter. I just turned on the A/C to cool off the house and get rid of the humidity. Both pink and yellow tabebuias are starting to bloom already and their normal time is March. This must all be because I built the OC.

Outside under the live oak tree is Cym Leodogran 'Cradlemont' , a gift from Laurel a couple of years ago.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9381162

Also out there is my bamboo orchid, Arundina graminifolia.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9381166

I've had this Catt forever and somehow the name tag disappeared. Too bad because I like it.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9381205

Jim, you have made me so proud! I think your climate is absolutely perfect for Cyms.. Probably why Charlie is growing more each year. Mine are in bloom too but I have them shoved in a corner of the basement wall of glass and haven't watered them in a month. They will need some serious work this Spring.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9381374

Laurel, you have such an interesting collection of orchids. Always something different from the norm. That vanda is beautiful, by the way. I like Beallarea Tropic Tom, too. Very cute.

Jim, I like that cattleya, too. Too bad you lost the tag but at least you can still enjoy it.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9381437

Could this funny little green shoot be the beginning of a spike on my Angraecum?

I can hardly dare to hope.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9381456

Sorry, Elaine, it's a root. Never give up hope though. I raised mine from a baby. Got it almost five years ago and the first bloom that started to form last year aborted. We need a special name for orchid tantrums. I had a big one then.

Edited to add a big thanks to you, Mellie, for the compliment about my orchid collection. I do have a penchant for some unusual ones.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 8:35 PM
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 10, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9381531

Everything is so beautiful. Thanx for all the pix. We are in the 30's at night now for a few days and for a few days more. Highs in the mid 50's. Most plants are in the garage, but some are just too big and will have to be covered tonight and tomorrow night because we could get a frost. Sunny California...HA!!

Oh, and today the winds were blowing strong enough to knock some plants over. Luckily, none of them orchids and all will survive.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 7:37 PM

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 7:49 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9381543

Are you having an orchid tantrum, Ted?
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 10, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9381555

lol absolutely!!!

I could have stayed in Chicago and had this. Frost advisory until Sunday morning. My 'chids need sunlight not lamp light. But I do have a Den in the garage with buds
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9381567

You could have moved to Atlanta. It's in the mid sixties right now.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 10, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9381578

Get this, highs in the low fifties through Monday. Then Tues 58, Wed 66, Thurs 74 then the high 60's. I guess I can wait it out.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9381610

I'm going to have an orchid tantrum if a certain persistent raccoon gets into the pool cage again tonight. I have so many spikes and buds and over 40 orchids sitting around in there, and he blunders around breaking things, poops in the pool and generally terrorizes the cat. He came back at least 5 times last night with evil intent. The window to our bedroom opens to the pool cage, so each time he came in, I was out there in my jammies chasing him away, growling and barking and generally acting like a deranged person. I got about 3 hours' sleep.

Sorry, no pictures! (it wasn't pretty, I'll tellya)

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 10, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9381620

I love that NOID Jim and your yellow Vandas Laurel.
My Lc. Fireball Flame 'Jairak Waxy' just opened 4 flowers.

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy      

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 11, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9382064

Laurel, Loving those Vandas!
Jim, that is a beautiful Catt.

As Ted told you, we are still in yo-yo weather mode here. I blame the weather for the poor performance of my 'chids this year. Fewer, smaller spikes on most of them. Coel. mooreana and Coel. barbata have been sending up one puny spike a month since Oct. These are on my porch with my Cyms. (the orange one is new, the other one has been with me for about fifty years)

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 11, 2013

Post #9382069

The Epi. I've had for over 40 years is out side, with no cover. In the shack Encyclia dichroma is still going, and Gerberara is recovering (I hope) from the frost with four spikes.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL      

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 11, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9382074

In the house for now are Blc. Erin Kobayashi X stono river on a very short, compact spike, and a small NOID Paph.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL         

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 11, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9382194

Carol is the paphs flower small? Looks like Leeanum? but thats not small though.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9382222

Love that Fireball Flame, Bree. Such elegant colors.

Carol, fabulous show there, the orange Cym is a real beauty! Gerberara sure starts out very pink on your side of the country! Is the color affected by temperature?
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 11, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9382380

Bree, It is a small flower. I bought it from a local hybridizer at a show, but he was taking a coffee break, and his sitter didn't know what the cross was.

dyzzy, I've been trying to figure it out for years, but I think it is temp related. Of course, temps and sun both get lower at this time of year, but with our ups and downs this past year, I'm going with temps. I love the orange Cym. myself. I have tried since they first came out...to no avail. The first (that I paid too much for at a show) was trashed by my former neighbor's kittens. The second (ditto above), I bought in 2007 (in bloom) and haven't seen it since. Those were large flowered Cyms, and the second one is trying with two spikes, but I walked into Costco a couple of weeks ago, and Whoo! an orange Cym... it's not a large flower, but it's pretty. And reasonable.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 11, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9382397

Nice going, Carol. Great pix

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9382405

Boy! All I saw at Costco on two visits this week was a cart of really sad looking Phals. Guess I need to go there more often! I've run across some great looking Cyms at the local grocery store, but they want $35 for them. More than I paid for the new one I got at the show.

Btw, my little Gerberara is putting up new growth already, and looking great! I hope it blooms again before the weather gets hot so we can check the color. Jim's had a lavender touch if I recall, but his coddled plants in the OC don't get as cool as mine do outdoors.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 11:03 PM

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 11, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9382423

Carol your paph doesnt look exactly like Insigne or Leeanum but a little of both, maybe its a cross of them two. Insigne is a species and Leeanum is a cross between Insigne and Spicerianum. So id guess its Insigne x Spicerianum. Wonder if the flowers will get larger. Heres a photo of my Leeanum (2 on left) and my Insigne (2 in the middle) and thats Invinsible on the right.

Thumbnail by breeindy

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 11, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9382432

dzzy, gotta catch Costco when they get a new shipment. $19.95 for a 2 spike Cym here.

Bree, thatsure looks close.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9382449

Bree, those paphs are simply wonderful! I have one left, and I think I'm going to break my rule about plants indoors, and bring the little thing into the house for the summer. Keep it on a pebble tray by the patio door, and see if that keeps the black rot at bay.

IF that works, maybe I'll allow myself to bring home another one next time they have them at Lowe's.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 12, 2013
1:37 AM

Post #9382517

dyzzypyxxy- whats the black rot symptoms (just trying to work out if ive had it with my paphs). Is it in summer when its hot or in winter like rot?
Paphs can stand lower light than alot of orchids so can be grown inside. I just bring them in when they flower but i do have a few seedlings inside that are growing great so i dont want to put them out and change things. Ones just in straight perlite which is how i got it.
I tend to keep my paphs dryer than i think there ment to be but if i water than anymore i seem to rot them. Mine get some black spots on the leaves in summer when its hot and humid and they love the winter and look there best then but it doesnt get very cold here.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 12, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9382779

Carol, tell me, which Costco. The one we have here never has anything but Phals
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 12, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9382828

Garden Grove, on GG blvd and Main. If you really want a selection of Cyms, at good prices, I'm told, hit the Tet festival. I've never tried it myself, but I hear they are selling them on the corners during the festival.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 12, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9382842

We have been to that one. In fact we do work for them.

And I think Tet starts on the 10th of Feb this year. The same weekend as the Newport show at Westminster Mall. Will you be going
? With an escort?
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 12, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9383032

I'll probably be going, but I doubt I'll have an escort.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9383628

I went out to water the orchids and none of the mouse traps had caught anything - yet. Dad put them all over the place so I was a little afriad to go out there. I do not do well with dead animals. Anyway, between the orchids and my sweet almond bush being in bloom, my whole side yard smells wonderful. I wish I could send it to you all!

I took another photo of Pot. Jairak Tropic just because it looks so happy. Then, I took a picture of my second bloom on Hawaiian Wizard, along with a picture of the whole plant. If it stays pretty until Thursday, I'm taking it to my orchid society meeting.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong      

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 13, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9383725

"Twinkle" Yellow now in bloom! She's mounted.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 13, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9383729

The whole mount!

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9383806

I'm so sad. I got this great pot of Orchids at the Vendor show today. 3 Vanda's in 1 pot, all in bloom & all with lots of buds.
It was packed in moss so was attempting to remove some when the Orchids got top heavy & tipped over. The BEAUTIFUL white & purple stalk broke off (glass in front).

But all the roots, now out of a tom of wet moss, all look to be in great shape.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9383826

I'm having a lot of problems with Dave's today. Here is the pic that should be with the post above.

And a pic of the still uncompleted sun porch. The Contractor got mad at me for asking why there was yet another delay (on the windows this time) so "fired us". Is refusing to do any more work till we make an appointment to go to his office to talk to him. So the BBB is now involved.

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter         

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9383830

Tommy, that is so cute. Like little daffodils or something. It's very sunny-looking and happy.

Jean, you're just having all sorts of problems today! Hope tomorrow is better! I like the start of your orchid room, though.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9383961

Out in the OC, the first flower on a large spike of Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' has opened.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9383962

Another of the big buds on Lc. White Spark 'Panda' has opened.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9383964

Also opening are flowers on a new spike of Epi Lime Drop X Epi schomburgkii.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9383967

Now two buds open on Bl. Mem. Bernice Foster

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9383972

I have new furniture coming for my computer room on Tuesday so I'm clearing out the room and will have to disconnect the computer. I should be back up on Wednesday. Cheers.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 14, 2013
1:56 AM

Post #9384194

Melanie that Pot. Jairak Tropic is awsome, i love it!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9384465

Me too, beautiful colors on that one. I think you should take it to the orchid society meeting. It's dressed up for a date.

Although Hawaiian Wizard is lovely, too.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9384576

Jim, my Epc. R.M. is forming buds on last years spike as well as a new one. I often leaves spikes while they are green. We shall see.

Tommy, Twinkle looks great mounted.

Jean, sorry you are having a contractor problem but "contractor" and "problem" seem to be synonyms. Hope he doesn't have your money. Years ago we had a builder tear off the back of our house on a three story, three thousand square foot addition, take the first draw and disappear. SO tracked him down and told him to pay up. The builder had already spent the money to cover other bad debts. After two trips to jail (we had him arrested in our county on criminal charges. The second he posted bond we had him rearrested in his county of residence on civil charges) he spent the next seven years paying us back with interest. Of course it required a gorilla lawyer.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9384900

Yep contractor = problem here in FL. He has some of the $$$$ but not all. I'm hoping the windows show up here later this week. I bet I can find someone else to install them!!!!! I have the documents where he says he refuses to do any more work on the project.

The Orchids are enjoying being outside in the fresh air & sun & I think the squirrels are afraid to come onto the porch.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9385130

Thanks everyone! I like to take orchids to the meeting that I've raised myself because taking one I just bought feels like cheating, you know? But maybe I'll go ahead and cheat anyway! My neostylis is losing its blooms but if it has any I'd like to take it just because it's a little different.

Melanie
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 15, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9386650

Been busy and have not had a lot of time to be online. But we sure get to see some great pictures, don't we? Just love the shots. Thanx all.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9386793

COLD front is moving in tomorrow nite so I need to get my 2 small, portable greenhouses put together before then. Temps to be ~40 overnite. Have water jugs to put out in the sun to warm up.
I also purchased a roll of 6mil plastic to wrap the sun porch since we still don't have the windows installed. I will keep my Orchids warm.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9387493

I feel pretty spiffy sitting here with all of this new office furniture. It all smells so new. I took a walk around the OC today and spotted the first flower of the year on my Rhyncholaelia digbyana. This is one of the must have orchids but it always seems to need a shave.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9387499

The Vanda that has been in spike forever finally opened. This is Vanda denisoniana X Vanda Udom Gold.

Jim

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 10:08 AM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9387501

This is a nice picture of the spike on my Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9387511

There are two huge blooms on Blc. Annie Belle. It may well be the biggest Catt type flower I have ever seen.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9387516

B. nodosa X C. netrasiri 'waxy' just put out a single flower.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9387517

This is Brassocattleya Maikai 'Mayumi'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9387520

I couldn't find a tag on this big fellow so I'll just call it a NOID Catt.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9387525

I love the rich red color on this NOID Dendrobium. I have it mounted on one of those lizard logs from the pet store.

Jim

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 16, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9387598

Glad to see you back, Jim. Still drooling over the digbyana.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9387627

Thanks, Carol. I think that side shot showing the whiskers is cool.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 16, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9387654

Yep! I'm a sucker for whiskers.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9387995

Love that digbyana, Jim. My hand has hovered over one of those up at Plantio a few times . . .

Finally something new has opened here, happening even slower than usual with the cool evenings! This is my very first Catt, and I over-potted it nearly 2 years ago. It has not bloomed since, busy getting comfortable and climbing out of the pot. The tag has been devoured by the roots, and will not surface again until I break the pot - maybe next year I'll have the name of this guy.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9388009

Elaine, That looks a lot like the NOID Catt I posted yesterday.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9388175

Jim, you really know how to aggravate me with that Rhyncolaelia don't you? I ran right out to the greenhut to see if maybe...but no. Mine is young and putting out its fourth lead. Growing oh so slowly. There are a few new bloomers but it's been so miserably cool, dark and rainy I've not been motivate to take pics. It's about to clear up and get very cold. I noticed Rhyncolaelia glauca is in bud for the first time.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 17, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9388415

Sorry y'all are getting the cold and gloom. After weeks of 30s to 60, my thermometer read 57 at dawn this morning, and it's 81 out there now. It's supposed to last all through the weekend. I know spring is only visiting, but it sure feels good.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9388431

Apparently our spring like temps are over for a few days. We had rain and gloom today followed by a strong wind from the north. Low tonight is going to be 48 degrees, some 16 degrees colder than last night. I closed the OC windows and may kick on the heat here in the house.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9388479

We had numerous rainy days a few weeks ago and then it turned sunny and mild. It was eerie. All the heaters were off for a week. Then it started to rain again with highs in the fifties but not much colder at night. It's not quit raining all week and now it's going down to twenty eight in my part of the city. We are expecting a snow mix tonight. I have a bunch of buckets under the shed roof of the greenhut to catch water. The solarium is filled with rainwater buckets tonight. I'm reluctant to do much watering because the humidity in the greenhut is high while the temperature is hovering in the low sixties with the heaters on. In the past, I have opened the windows into the family room to relieve the humidity but the greenhut fans make the room drafty.

What a cutie, MJS.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9388494

MJ, the little guy reminds me of me at that age, red hair and freckles.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9388499

Jim, you have not changed one iota!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9388562

After thinking about it, all I can come up with is less hair. :>)

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9388599

If you are like a certain Significant Other (not mentioning any names mind you) perhaps your hair has shifted elsewhere, like your back or your nose. Just sayin'.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9388699

Thanks for not mentioning the ears. Here I am at age 12.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9388928

Jim, just think if your were an orchid how much in demand you'd be !!! ( not that your not in demand as a person...LOL...)

Chilly here this am...38...and not much sun predicted.. The Orchids are TRYING to bloom, but we need more sunny weather !

Hey guys I'm going to have admin remove the pic of my little guy...brought to my attention it could end up somewhere that might not be so friendly...
So I'm reposting the text since they have to remove the whole post.

Elaine, that's one pretty cat there...and I seem to have the same problem, having over potted some of mine before I knew better and I'm thinking I may actually down size a couple.
Laurel, I hear ya with the dark/dreary...it's been that way here for a good bit of this winter, not terribly cold for any long stretches thou...but not the usual sunny weather.

My R. digbyana has a sheath just starting, can't wait I love the whiskers too...still waiting on the Rhynchostylis gigantea Peach Something, buds are getting much bigger.
Sitting here with an ice pack on my knee, several horse related injuries over the years, so things like going in/out of the greenhouse carrying plants BACK in...grrrrr,
have aggravated it. Oh well good excuse to sit still for a bit and try to catch up.

Jim love the Brassocattleya Maikai 'Mayumi', I'm a sucker for anything with freckles

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 8:27 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9388952

Gosh Jim, you look the same now as then!!!!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9389562

Moving right along, Laelia Myrmecophila (Myc.) (previously Smbc.) Mem. Louise Fuchs (Mcp. tibicinis x C. bicolor) AQ/AOS ('Weesie AM/AOS x self) has finally opened a four foot spike. I've been waiting on this for at least two months.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9389578

Miltassia Aztec Toni is blooming again as is Miltassia Luke Skywalker.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9389589

All of my Phals are in spike now and today, the first flower of the season opened. It is Phal Beautiful Red X self. I also took a picture of the potted plant showing how it is laying on its side so no water stays in the crown.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9389597

I'll leave you with a NOID Dendrobium.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9389602

Jim, glad you posted that pic of the Phal laying on it's side. I have several that have "heeled over" so to speak, and I thought I was being a bad mommy.
Spikes all over the place making it hard to find a place to put them. I may still repot them and find a spot in the little greenhouse to put them. I've grown them with crowns up
outside and as yet never had a problem with rotting, just climbing out of their pots and getting "side heavy". I guess their are worse problems than having overgrown pot eating Phal's tho right !!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9389641

Here I was worried that my Phal keeps falling over. Guess if Jim's are happy that way, mine can be also.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 18, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9389796

That Miltassia Aztec Toni is my goal at the shows this year. Nice show, Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9390037

Mine too, Ted. Our little show had only one Miltassia that I saw, so I guess I'm going to have to go on the "show circuit" this year in search of Aztec Toni.

Yep, all my Phals are sideways like Jim's too. Except the one that's mounted on a palm boot is "roots up, leaves down" which is the way they seem to grow in nature. That variegated one was really struggling, but now that it's oriented this way, it's been happily putting out roots and leaves for months. Plus, a spike now! Flowers are a bonus bloom on a rescue that I was sure would die.

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9390251

lost some plants to the weather here, but quite a few looking like they are going to bud. Here is a NOID Cym. Comes to flower every year. Sits under a Magnolia tree and is outside year round

Thumbnail by ted5310

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9390313

I like that Cym., Ted. Very nice!

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9390381

Basking in the warm weather here...Zygo. Redvale 'fire kiss' has a spike open and Paph. Wendbourn X Rosy Dawn is blooming on a short stem

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9390432

I take it your weather has improved, Carol. Beautiful pics.

Here are a few I forgot.

My yellow Spathoglottis Plicata.

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9390433

Laurel's incredible Cym Leodogran 'Cradlemont' .

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9390436

And this little Enc. polybulbon on its perch.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9390446

The little Enc. is lovely, Jim and what a pretty mount!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 19, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9390529

Love the Spath. ( never seen one here) and the Enc. The cym looks very similar to the NOID one I've had for 50some years. Kathy suggested mine might be Amapola that she saw on SBOE website, and it could be,as the friend that gave it to us might well have purchased it there, but without knowing, for sure, it will just remain my old faithful cym.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 19, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9390814

Elaine- i love that varigated Phal and that little paph in your 2nd pics looks nice (the bark mix looks really chunky, do you have any trouble with it drying out)? Looks healthy enough though.
Carol also love Paph. Wendbourn X Rosy Dawn.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9390840

Thanks, Bree. I like the patterned leaves on the little paph, and it seems to do fine in the chunky mix. I did add some perlite and finer cork bits to its pot. Guess our humidity suits it, at least at this time of year. It's nice and cool with 70's for highs (about 20 to 22 C.) I'm thinking that little one will sneak into the house this summer, since it's the only paph that survived through last summer's heat and humidity.

Carol, I love that pink paph, too. And Ted's nice noid Cym.

Weather guy just said we are expecting more cold weather next weekend - }}sigh{{ What a pain, with so many orchids getting ready to bloom! Guess we shouldn't complain, since we did have nearly 2 weeks of temps at least 10deg. above normal. The ground is nice and warm, which helps keep everybody toasty.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9390925

I need to go purchase some of the old fashion light bulbs to put in the greenhouse for heat.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9391041

Jean, a string or two of Christmas lights will work, too. As long as they are older ones, not LED's.

Yes, another few nights down into the 40's this week . . looks like we did not entirely escape winter.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9391404

Just opening today is Slc. Ploenpit Fantasy. It sounds like something from Apopka but I can't remember for sure.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9391612

Jim, that Slc. is good looking and interesting.

Carol, love the Zygo. and a beautiful looking plant and flower on the Paph.

Ted, very nice Cym.. They are such a bonus come winter, aren't they?

Elaine, congratulations on your new leaves. The variegated Phals. are tricky.

We are going into the high twenties tomorrow and the low twenties the following night. Since I rely on small heaters, not gas blasters with thermostats, I might need an additional third heater to the greenhut. The colder temps at night reflect clear skies. By day the greenhut temps, with its southern exposure, soar. I keep an eye on things in this weather.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9391687

I got 2 of the metal dome clip on lights at HD this evening. Will get them set up tomorrow. Still to be warm tonite.

Will also put jugs of hot water in the enclosure.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9391797

Lovely, bright Slc there Jim. Seems to me you did buy a yellow/red one when we did Apopka last Feb. The cyms really are wonderful, and Leodogran 'Cradlemont' is magnificent.

I am wishing I'd ordered another greenhouse shelf unit. Ah well, the glass patio table works ok as a temporary greenhouse for the tall guys, just a pain putting them under there.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9392041

Elaine do you have "Tractor Supply" down there...I got one of those little greenhouse shelves units to use as extra shelving in the greenhouse...I just don't use the plastic cover
I think I paid 25.00 for mine.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9392178

Oo, thanks! That's a great price, I paid $34 for mine from Amazon. Got free shipping though. As far as I know, the nearest Tractor Supply is in Arcadia, but I'll have to check. It's been a while.

New this morning, Finally!! Lc. Goldbrad opened the first of 3 spikes on a sweet little plant, and Pot. Fire in your Eyes has been teasing me for weeks with two fat buds. It's very fiery, since the sun peeked out just as I took the picture. We got a nice rain this morning, but it's still warm outside.

One more of my big NoID catt with it's second spike coming. These guys with flowers open are going to grace us indoors for the next few cold days.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9392306

Nice little Catts, Elaine. I just read the forcast and see that things will cool off beginning this afternoon with cool mornings (mid 40s) on Wednesday and Thrusday. Right now it is perfect outside.

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9392952

I got my portable GH at Big Lots. TS has the same ones. And saw them in Lowes but for double the $$$.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9393043

Thanks, Jean. I am in trouble for sending DH on a wild goose chase up to TS in Bradenton in search of one, when Big Lots is 5 minutes away. TS had sold out of them, (I called ahead, too, but didn't put one on hold . . ) but my husband and son had fun tramping around the store like farmers, anyway.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
3:39 AM

Post #9393324

I got the walk in one from BL. I found the wire shelves too flimsy so cut other shelving to go over them. Other than that, I really like the enclosure. Then I have the 4-shelf unit also. So far I find, with nothing else added, they stay ~10 deg warmer than the outside air.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9393464

And 10deg. warmer is about all we need here most of the time. If we get any nights into the 30's we'll need to augment the heat somehow, but your light bulbs should do it.

I sure wish I had space for a walk-in unit. There's just no place except if I commandeered part of the driveway. Hmm! But really, all I need is another shelf unit with the plastic cover. Then I can just fold up the cover when the weather moderates and use it all year. I have over 90 orchids, but most of them are fairly small, and some of the big ones like the Cyms and Phaius are in the ground. I'll just have to cover them in place.

Here are my two big Phaius plants with 5 and 4 spikes respectively - can't wait! But if last year is any indication, they'll make me wait at least another month.

Jim, are you keeping an eye on that little Monk's orchid? I have two new spikes ready to open on mine.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9393596

One of my Dad's friends has an orchid he's going to divide soon and he promised me one of the babies. It's blooming right now and he cut one of the blooms and sent it home with Dad since today is my mother's birthday. It's smelling up the whole kitchen/living room area! He doesn't know the name of it, but it's so pretty I don't care! The flower is huge, too!

Hope everyone's orchids are staying toasty warm!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9393690

Melanie - that is a beautiful red on that Orchid.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9393861

Lovely, Melanie. Lucky you! It might be Blc. Chia Lin 'New City'. IF so, it's a real winner!

Here's a pic of mine last year. Out in the natural light it looked magenta, but indoors it was that velvety dark red.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9393865

That's exactly what mine looks like! I was thinking Chia Lin, but I wasn't sure. They had a bunch of them for sale at the Sarasota show; glad I didn't buy one since I'll be getting one from Dad's friend. Does yours smell really strong, too? My Dad's friend bought his off a lady who was going out of business; he got a huge plant for $15! Some people have all the luck. I'm giving him one of my bromeliads in return; apparently, he was admiring it in the yard and I have plenty of them.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9393899

Yes, that is Blc. Chia Lin 'New City', Queen of floof and very fragrant. Your dad has a good friend there.

I went off to the Orchid club meeting today with nine orchids for the bloom table and got lots of comments but no ribbon. Today's blue ribbon winner was a big floofy Catt with a dozed pink blooms on it. Nice but I wouldn't have traded any of my 9 for it. Go figure. The good news is I won two orchids in the raffle and I am excited about one of them. Epc. Mem. Young C. Lott is a small plant but in bloom. I had eyed it from afar and when I had the first number called, I pounced on it. Check out the lip. The other is Ada. Keiliana X Odm. triumphans which I think is an Odontoglossum. Not being sure what it is prompted me to get it. It's in spike so I'll know soon.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9393906

Isn't it fun to run to the raffle table before anyone else? That's a cute flower, Jim. Thanks for confimation on the ID; he wanted to know if I knew what it was and once I saw the bloom in person I had a hunch, but it's good to have back up from you guys. It's still smelling up the house (in a good way)!

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9394214

That's a lovely little Epc. Jim. I love the pleated lip - there's just no end to the fanciful shapes these orchids can have!

When I was little I always preferred pleats over crinolines. Maybe that's why I prefer elegant pleats to floof.

I love my Chia Lin, especially the fragrance. Congratulations Melanie, you're going to love that plant. Mine's still in the hospital after being nearly murdered by Mr. Boisduval and his scales. I think it will recover now, but it's been severely set back.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9394845

Ok, I have a newbie question. What is this coming out of my Paph. spicerianum? The other day it was down in the middle and I thought, "Cool, new leaves are forming." But now it has risen up and I'm thinking there's no way this is a bloom, right?

I went out to make new name tags to replace some I broke and to name my Dad's mailman orchid (so I don't get it confused when it's not in bloom). While I was out there I watered everybody and boy was I surprised to see a bud on my Mildred Hollingsworth 'Sun Bulb'. It's been about a year since I bought my first batch of orchids so I suppose it's time for them to bloom again, but it somehow always surprises me when they do! It's a pretty yellow color so look forward to that one. Maybe it will time itself for my next orchid meeting.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

January 23, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9394930

Yes its a flower bud...congrats. Cant wait to see the flower.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9394931

Woo hoo! Let's hope it makes it all the way to flowering now! It's the only Paph I have; bought it in Apopka because I liked the way they looked and wanted to diversify my collection. Now I'm going to be so nervous about it until it blooms.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9395039

Way to go, Melanie. Paphs are hard to bloom here in Florida!

I have my Pot. Fire in your Eyes with two flowers fully open now. As usual, I can't quite seem to get the reds just right in a picture. It is a soft, spicy red with a darker red lip and orange in the throat. Here are three attempts using light from different angles, and none of them is quite right.

I did have a nice little grouping of orchids to show off for my kids' visit. Baby granddaughter was unimpressed, as yet!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9395105

Bad day here in Odessa and I'm not talking weather. I went to the gym this morning as usuall and changed clothes in the locker room. I put a pad lock on the locker and went out to exercise. When I came back to shower, I noticed there was no lock on my locker and on further inspection, I found my wallet and IPhone had been stolen. All of my credit cards, drivers license, social security card gone. I spent the rest of the day cancelling everything. A new IPhone is $600 in mid contract so I will not get another one. What a mess. I'll be working on this for a week. Evidently they smuggle bolt cutters into the locker room in their gym bags and then wait for folks like me. I've made the police report and all but I don't expect much will come of that. I'm left angry and tired.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9395156

Oh Jim, that's awful. What a horrible person to do that. WIsh you all the best getting your business back in order. : (

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9395352

Very sorry to hear the bad news, Jim. I'm assuming you don't have a tracking ap on your phone? That's a good thing to put on the next one. I belonged to a gym years ago where the lockers required you to bring your own padlocks and had the identical experience. After the incident I heard it was a common occurrence at this gym. I found a gym that had circulating locker room attendants on staff. The did a lot more than security but there was never a theft problem. More expensive and well worth it.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9395371

Jim - indeed not a good day. Prob one of the reasons I take very little to the gym & keep all of value with me. Can't believe they know this is happening & don't do anything to deter it.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9395375

Yes, I have the tracking app on the phone but that only works if the phone is on. The thieves turned off the phone so it puts out no signal. I was able to lock the phone so it cannot be used and leave a message on it that will appear when they do turn it on. It was not a warm wish.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 23, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9395472

Sorry for your troubles, Jim. Once had a CC stolen. Didn't cost me anything but a lot of time. Hopefully for you it will just be an aggravation and not a financial loss.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9396464

Jim,
Hate to say this, but this is probably not even the end of your worries with your mishap. They have everything they need for identity theft, and it could come back to haunt you for months/years to come. Your credit rating, your mortgage, your retirement, and more are at risk. You'll need to contact the SSA, all your credit cards, your mortgage company, your bank,,,and more. How do I know this ? Cause I had it happen to me, and believe me, they can sneak in any door that you do not close.
My sympathies are with you.
I have a few blooming but will post pics later...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9397148

New for me this morning, a nice little bloom on a 3ft. spike of one of my rescued Phals. For $4 from Lowe's one flower makes it all worthwhile - but hey, I got a pot too! Lots more buds on this spike, as well.

Then there was a serious lapse in my resolve as I was shopping at Trader Joe's yesterday. This bronze cymbidium jumped right into my cart - as usual for TJ's it was a bargain price at least $10 less than I paid for my show orchid. We'll see if I can prove its worth in future . . .

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9397376

Pretty Cym, Elaine. The trick will be to rebloom it.

Opening today is Potinara Elaine Taylor 'Krull Smith' FCC/AOS.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9397458

Ooh, look at the richness of that color. Krull-Smith really knows what they're doing!

Melanie

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9397881

Cym. Sara Jean Ice Cascade is taking on cool pink tones.

Elaine I think that lack of resolve affected me also...
BLC Booth Lee "Venice" followed me home from Lowes...

Jim, I really like that Potinara

wish the weather would settle down...T-Shirt during the day and having to run the heat for a bit in the early am to take the chill off the house.
We've had 2 frosts this last week...Spring can't be too far away...right ??

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9397916

Very nice Cym, MJ and I like your new Blc as well. Good growing.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9401734

Uh oh! Where'd everybody go? Love that Cym. Sarah Jean with it's pretty pink touches. My Sarah Jean isn't putting up a spike yet this year. =+(

I have two more blooms open on my big NoID catt. It has a really lovely light scent, too.

Here it is in company with Lc.Goldbrad and Pot. Fire in your Eyes

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9401936

Nice color going on there, Elaine. I'm sitting here tapping my fingers waiting for a big Schomburgkia to open. It has three 5 foot spikes and the buds are just begining to open. They do take their own sweet time.

High today of 83 degrees. It sure has been a warm winter.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9402578

I had a nice surprise waiting for me today. One of my raffle plants had a small flower on it! It's Onc. Tsiku Marguerite. It has one flower open and two more on the way up. I like the raffle plants because they are typically things I wouldn't buy, but then you get a nice surprise when you see it bloom. I thought this one was too small to bloom but it does have nice healthy pseudobulbs on the bottom so I guess it was ready. Meanwhile, my Paph. is still doing its thing and I'm waiting for a cattleya bud to open. So I'll have more to share soon!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9402810

That's a sweet one, Melanie. Lucky you! btw. Thanks for the tip on Big Lots for the greenhouse shelf unit. I did get one there.

Jim, can't wait to see that big Schlom in bloom - 5ft. spikes, Yikes!

So as I began schlepping the 'chids around in preparation for the bad weather forecast for tonight & tomorrow, I encountered a new bloom! This is Blc. Richard Mueller which, to be honest, I thought was going to be pink but I prefer yellow anyway. Nice little delicate flower,and at least 3 more spikes setting up! These are the surprises I get for buying little baby orchids that have not bloomed . . . never been unhappy with one yet. All my little Tols are putting up long spikes, too!

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 5:47 PM

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9402821

Elaine, I didn't give the tip about Big Lots - can't remember who did, but now you guys have me wanting to go check mine out!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9402936

Very pretty Oncidium, Melanie. You did good.

Blc. Richard Mueller is a very good orchid Elaine. I really like mine.

The wind has really picked up as this next cold front comes through. I'm too little to go outside now. :>)

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9402999

Oh, it was Jean that told me to go to Big Lots, sorry! They have a little walk-in unit, too. I was trying to think where the heck I'd put it, but the shelf unit works better for me.

Babies are all tucked away ahead of the storm now. Wind has been honking here all day! Batten down the hatches, folks.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9403743

Yep, was me. I have the walk in & also shelf one. Like the walk in as I can just put the entire plant stand in the center. Actually can get 2 plant stands in the center on the COLD nites.

I have a shoot starting on my Enc cochlela. I've had this plant for over a year and it has never done anything till now. Maybe it likes the cooler nites? Came form Phelps in Tampa.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9404706

It seems Jim's alarm has not gone off this month. I started a new thread here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296429/ Come on over.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America