Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: Very bad news about Pickering Nursery

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 7, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9372112

I was going to place an order with Pickering Nursery, and found this on their website:

"AMERICAN CUSTOMERS: We are unable to ship to the USA at present. Due to a desire by agriculture departments to “re-interpret” existing rules we are unable to ship roses to the United States this season. Yes, these plants have been produced in the same manner as those we have shipped to our US customers since about 1960. Please be aware that whatever hardship and annoyance you’re feeling about not being able to receive an order, this business (it’s employees and owner) will suffer worse."

I have ordered roses from them for many yeaas. I hope that this can be resolved.

Donna

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 5:11 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9372130

More "Government".
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9372222

More gov't is right.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 5:58 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9372667

Not the news I wanted to hear. I was planning on ordering from them again this year.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9372990

I had planned to order 2 Stanwell Perpetuals, 1-2 Gruss an Aachens, Enfant du France and The Dark Lady. I have ordered at least 25 roses from them in the past. They are my favorite. The really bad thing about it is that I think that their US market is considerable. Their prices are great and their shipping for two foot bareroots is only $18 for up to four roses, and their roses are only $15.50. I put in a Heritage last April that was literally five feet tall by June. My Constance Spry was 6 feet across in three years.

I decided to defer my order to next year except for Stanwell Perpetual. That rose appears to be disappearing from commerce, and I could only find one other supplier. And the cost and shipping for those two considerably smaller roses is $50. At Pickering, I could have gotten much more for my money.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9374177

Bummer. I do order from Pickering, too. Hopefully this is just a glitch.

Donna, try High Country Roses: http://highcountryroses.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi

I think that is the Stanwell link... That is where I got my Stanwells.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9374318

Great minds. I placed my order with them yesterday.

It's creepy the way a lot of roses that are iconic seem to be disappearing. Antique Rose Emporium didn't have it, Heirloom didn't have it, and Chamblees didn't. Neither did David Austin Roses. Roses Unlimited didn't have it, which really surprised me. I really wanted to order from Chamblees. That Glamis they sent me last year was extraordinary, and I wanted to give them more of my business.

But hey, thanks! You always have my back, and I appreciate it.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9375217

Pickering was the only place I could get Felicite Parmentier last year - all others were sold out. I also got Evelyn, Jude the Obscure, and Rosemary Harkness. Roses are doing great.

I really, really wanted Felicite. My mother found one in an alley when we moved to Missouri. I later planted it in my garden, where it had expanded to 3 plants. I planted one in a pot for my move but it died. I was sure it was Felicite, even though many sites say its thorns are of no account - I figure they never saw one. It has very tiny and very many vicious needles. But what a fragrance. I love the way it recurves and almost turns into a ball. My new plant is much heavier than any of my old ones. I will wait a while for Pickering to get over this hurdle.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America