Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Southwest Gardening: Freeze

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 70, Views: 487
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

January 1, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9372151

Happy New Year!
My sheets, covering my plants, were damp and froze. Is this going to make things worse? They felt dry but must have been damp.
What do you think will happen? We changd the coverings to dry ones about 7:00 this a.m.
Thanks
Lily
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 2, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9373601

I think every thing will be fine.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9373622

Nothing froze here - I was expecting frozen Moringa trees, but they're still green and fresh. still flowers on the petunia tree (bush?).
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 2, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9373738

I'd covered my tender plants on Monday and Tuesday nights, but I think tonight it's supposed to be warmer.I'm not covering and keeping my fingers crossed!

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9380015

I live in Sun Lakes and find that a thin covering of a sheet is not enough if the temps go down below about 30 degrees. You should double cover or buy frost covering if you want to be sure they don't freeze. We are supposed to have very cold temps in Chandler on January 10th, 11th, 12th, and maybe more !
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9380075

Yeah - not looking forward to next week...I'm doing Styrofoam and frost cloths...and a sheet scattered here and there for good measure. This will be the truest test of my 2012 Brazilian Cactus Experiment!

This message was edited Jan 9, 2013 2:01 PM
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 9, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9380169

I'm not looking forward to this weekend's temps. So far I've been just covering my plumeria with layers of parachute. Should probably go ahead and trim off the remaining leaves so that I can insulate the growing tips. Does anyone know if Christmas lights give off enough heat to be worthwhile to use at the base of plants. I've used the old fashioned kind that have screw in bulbs and get hot, but they're not rated for outdoors and I hesitate to use them unless I can protect the wires.

Good luck with your cacti Minime!
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 9, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9380203

This weekend is supposed to be very cold, but if you have tecoma stans or bougie's that have been chewed up by those dang bugs, it might be worthwhile to leave a branch or a plant uncovered and see if they survive the freeze... the plant and the bug! The Extension Agent at the Cooperative, with the Master Gardeners, is interested in any results folks might see, covered or uncovered.

Susie
LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

January 9, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9380385

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
The plants did survive the damp clothes.

Now I am worried about the weekend. Jan 11, 12, 13 plus

Crista and Minime I think I am probably closest to you.

I almost lost my ficus in that 2007 freeze. Is that the one with three days about 27 degrees?

They were at least 10 years old at that time and froze down about a foot from the crotch. They recovered fine but I was sure worried. We put some christmas lights in that area today. I hope they will help a little. I do wrap the trunks but they are way too large to cover. We are watering today and then that is all the water I will give until after the freeze. I hope they make it.

Today we also picked the oranges, the lemons are not near ready and I don't care that much about the grapefruit. These trees are at least 15 years old. I did get some large 10 x 20 freeze cloths I am just going to drape on the canapy where I can reach with the ladder.
Do you all water your citrus during a freeze. Normally I don't do anything with the citrus but this time I think it is going to be bad.

I also have a Chinese Elm in the front that is just two years old that I really want to cover.

I will be moving the pots in the garage and trying to cover everything that I can. Also I do run the pool and cover the pool equipment but leave a little gap for venting.

This freeze I am covering the pipes into the house and the sprinkler pipes. I just don't want anything to burst.

Normally I am not so concerned but this freeze I am for some reason.

What are you all doing for your freeze prep?
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9380655

Where I am in Mesa the weather forecast is really variable depending on which service you choose. Some say 3-4 days of 27F and below in a row, others barely have it freeze 1 of those days. I guess I will prepare for the worst. As you say running the pool pump, making sure any exposed water pipe away from the house is empty. In previous freezes the faucets attached to the wall of the house were fine.

Moving any potted frost sensitive plants under the patio or into the garage, cover the rest with moving blankets. Unfortunately my lemon tree is so large (about two stories) that there is no covering that, but on the positive side, very little fruit this year. So that tree will have to manage.

Letting the Tecomas and Bougainvilleas fend for themselves, they will be ugly afterwards and will need to be pruned back, but they are sort of ugly after the insect infestation (which I managed to mostly halt) anyway. A couple of years ago, I had to prune both the Tecomas and Bougies back pretty much till the hard wood and all came back just fine.

Mostly worried about a bunch of plants that are flowering way out of season (about 2-3 months early) after that really warm Fall, some are small cacti I can just move, but I have a few aloes that are putting out their flower stalks, those that are already blooming will just have to deal, but some of the other ones are quite large so hard to cover effectively. On top of that I have a 7.5 foot tall Aloe hercules that I think needs to be covered, but I just do not know how. I guess this is when I find out how it deal with a serious freeze (two years ago it was still small enough to cover).

For the rest I am trying to be smart these days and only plant things that I know will be able to deal with temperatures down to at least the low 20s and keep anything else in pots I can move on to the patio and cover or move into the garage.

Good luck to everyone with the freeze prep!
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 10, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9380870

For the larger citrus, you can water them the night before, flood them, and the water actually helps keep the temperature up. I have a huge blood orange and it has done very well through all the freezes we have had over the last 20 years by doing this.

Susie
ogrejelly
Gilbert, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9381024

Yeah this really does stink and it certainly makes for a ton of work. I wanted to share some of the things I do which might help you out if this gets as bad as they say it will.

1 - Go get frost blankets now! They are selling out everywhere so it may be too late already but try offbeat HW stores.
- Buy white ones if you can (over green) as they let more morning light in making your plants happier. This means you can leave them on for longer amounts of time (days). Green makes it dark and cold which is not a good combo for plants.
- I have found the 3M to be the best but there are many others. I greatly prefer these over cotton sheets for many reasons - particularly if there is a risk on rain.

2 - If you have a few prized plants I would go get cheap aluminum clip-on lights ($14) and pick up 125W Brooding ($4) or 250W heat lamps ($5) for them. Be careful to ready the spec on the clip-on bases. They are either 125W max or 300W max depending on size. I buy a few every year and now I have a small army of these things. They work really well and the bulbs seem to last forever if you are gentle with them. Christmas lights IMO do not kick off enough heat unless they are the very large bulb type. It is important to face these at a rock below the plant or off some distance or you will cook you plant with heat. (see photos) You then wrap them in a frost cloth so that you make a tent that has heat generated from the bottom which flows up. This warms the base and the top of the plant and the cloth keeps the heat in making for a dramatically different temperature.

3 - Get garden support stakes. The stakes take the frost blankets off of the tops of the plants so that they do not contact the cloth. This prevents tips from freezing and getting damaged. I find this really helps. You want to avoid the plants touching the top of the cloth as much as possible. You can also use them to hold the slip-on lights so they stay the right distance away from your plants to warm them but not burn.

4 - Use old fashion cloths pins and rocks to secure your blankets down. After waking to find the wind blew off my frost blankets, I have learned this one well. Wrap them tight and secure them down. The wind has an amazing ability to take your blankets you thought were secure and aim them right at the bottom of your pool. :)

5 - Wrap the trunks of sensitive plants/trees at the base in addition to the frost blanket covering. This is VERY important with larger Aloe trees like aloe dichotoma. I do not grow ficus but I imagine this would help them as well.

Good luck to everyone and please share any other tips that you have found to help.

Thumbnail by ogrejelly   Thumbnail by ogrejelly         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

January 10, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9381187

I just typed a big message and I lost it. I hate that.

Thanks for all of your tips. I did get some lights to help with the trees. I hope that helps.

Harbor Freight Tools has their moving blankets, 72x80 on sale for 4.99 regular 9.99. I think this will be just the ticket for the tree trunks I want to wrap.

I go to the Harbor Freight on the SW corner of Gilbert and Southern in Mesa if anyone is interested in these blankets

Susie, when do I flood the area? I have four citrus in a row. Do I keep adding water to keep it flooded? I have never flooded the area on purpose.(LOL)

Ogrejelly, I had to laugh. Everything at our house ends up at the bottom of the pool also.

Good luck everyone. Keep us posted.
LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

January 10, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9381202

Sorry for another post. Harbor Freight at the Mesa location does have these blankets. There is a limit of 7 and you have to ask for them. Watch because they have the 40 by 72 out.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 3:09 PM
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9381923

Only got down to 36 here last night, but still glad I covered/moved tender plants.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 11, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9381939

Flood them the night that it is going to freeze, which should be for the next 3-4 days, if the weather people can all agree. I use NOAA www.noaa.gov since it is supposed to be the best one.
I flooded mine last night and will flood again tomorrow night, then Monday night. If the ground around the tree is moist, it will not radiate as much heat at night, than soil that is dry. During the day, the moist soil might absorb another .5 - 1 degree more heat, which will slowly cool, releasing that small amount of heat up through the tree canopy, which could be the difference in losing the tree or having it survive the freeze. I water everything before it freezes, then use sheets to cover those which I can (are small enough) and drag everything else under the patio and carport. Some thing, alas, are too big and must fend for themselves.

Susie

ps. this is an interesting link, if you go to data access, the soil temps are something that impact frost/freeze issues with plants...
http://ag.arizona.edu/azmet/
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 11, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9381942

Frogymon- I am at Country Club / McKellips and the low here was 40. Amazing what micro climates we create can do to temperatures. 4 ponds always make the difference between it getting too hot and getting too cold in the summer and winter respectively.

Susie
LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

January 11, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9382050

Thank you Susie;

I agree about the micro climates. Some parts of my yard are much warmer than others. We only got to 40 last night also.

I have been out covering and putting in lights. I need to do more but I need to take a rest.

Even if it doesn't get as cold as they say I would rather be safe than sorry. The big ficus I just can't save the tops but I know that I can cut them way back and they will come back. If I can just save he basic trunk and up a little bit they will come back. At least they did the last two times. I figure all it takes is my time so it is worth it.

Froggymon what is your location?

Thanks also for NOAA.

Good luck everyone. Let me know your temps in the AM.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 11:19 AM

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 11:21 AM
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 11, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9382089

Do you know if the citrus needs to be picked? Seems like when they had a freeze in Florida a few years ago the orange market was affected - something about the quality of the fruit degrading if it freezes.

I've had pretty good success flooding under trees to increase the air temp. This is what they do down in Yuma in the orange groves, and are doing the same in the lettuce fields. I was surprised that they also use black plastic over the lettuce!

I've got three plumeria that have gotten about three feet tall and branched that I've left in the ground the past two winters, and am now debating about pulling them up to bring inside. Opinions?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
10:23 PM

Post #9382499

I'm in the Fiesta Mall area between Southern and Broadway, just east of Longmore. The front yard must stay warmer than the back, due to the road, since there was ice in the water dish I put out there for the wild birds.
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9382555

Shiver! It's down to 24 here and it's just 6:30 a.m. It's going to get colder...brrrrrr
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9382564

Re: To Pick or Not to Pick, here's a post from VPA:

Here is the U of A Extension publication on protecting citrus from the cold:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/crops/az1222.pdf

Hope this helps although I may be a bit late in posting.

Shiver, shiver...27 here. We're headed to the hot tub though. Nothing like enjoying your morning java on a frosty morning in a steamy tub!! Thanks to the buddy who practically 'donated' the tub! You know who you are...
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9382581

Only 28 here at 7am.
(Can't believe I just said "only 28"...)
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9382594

My solution is to stay inside where it's toasty and wait and see which, if any, plants make it through. I have high hopes that most will as the previous years' freezes have really weeded them out. I WILL finally have plants that can tolerate the heat and the cold. Although there may only be 1 or 2. :-( I'll just plant a lot of them. :-)
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

January 12, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9382635

It's 24 here at 8. Plants are looking pretty sad. I only covered a few of the plants as there are too many otherwise. I at least learned my lesson from past freezes and quit buying ficus trees.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9382661

Got down to 22, currently 35 @ 8:45; all temps recorded in front, south facing yard.
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 12, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9382743

'Only' got down to 30 here... everything that would break my heart if froze (and in pots) were moved onto patio and carport. Everything else was flooded and/or covered with sheets. Some things not covered- only so many sheets. I am sure there will be losses, but that is, as Judy notes, one way to thin things out. 10:15 and 41 on the west facing patio - still in shade.
All the birds did ok with the lights on and warm eggs/corn/veggies for breakfast. Keep their protein levels up and light to eat by and they do just fine. The wild birds have eaten every piece of the suet I have, so off to the Wild Bird Store and Mesa Feed Barn for some more food.

Susie
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9382746

Here in Dobson Ranch (Guadalupe at the 101 is the closest intersection) it got down to 24 in the back yard (not sure what time), but it is only 33 now (sensor is in the shade). Have not really taken a peak at the plants yet. Letting it warm up a bit!
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9382875

Tonight is supposed to be the coldest night of this pattern...they are predicting 19 for Chandler (predicted 25 last night and that was pretty close).
Ugh.
LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

January 12, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9383078

We were 30 this a.m. but I am worried. My ficus are brown already down to the lights we put in the tree. Maybe they were a foot from the trunk. These things are 15 years old and really big. I am just on the save the tree at all at the moment.

We are watering the citrus now. I hope they make it through this freeze. I have two navel oranges that I love. The lemon and grapefruit are more exposed.

Good luck everyone.
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 12, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9383220

I've got a jacaranda that's frozen down twice before in the freezes, and now is an interesting multi-trunk tree - would hate to have to chop it down to a foot tall again! I trickled the water under the tree last night and was pleasantly surprised that it looked pretty good today when so many other plants look toasted. So, I'm heading out to get the water started again.
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9383497

Down to 27 here at 730am.
Only 3 more nights to go...right now, lows predicted of 19, 21, and 28 for the next 3 nights, then back up to 36.
I.
Hate.
Winter.
LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

January 13, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9383501

I hate winter too Mimmie8484.
It was 30 here at 6:30. At 8:00 it was 28-29. I don't know if it will go down any more.
I did put an extra cover on the catcus, aloe and succulents last night. I hope it helped.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9383566

Out here in Sun Lakes it was 24 this morning on my south facing porch. I covered everything I could, potted plants and in ground, but I am afraid it was so cold so long that they will be frozen even with protection. I sure hate winter too!
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9383642

Got down to 20 in the south facing front yard, probably in the teens in the back. The canna are looking sad, the growth tips on the lemon on burnt and the succulents in the wheelbarrow garden all look like they froze, even being covered. On the plus side, the apples are definitely getting some good chill hours.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9383643

Here in Dobson Ranch Mesa, it got as low 22F in the backyard, and was 31F at 9.30 this morning. The thermometer on the outside wall of the house did not go below 42F though, that is bad insulation for you. But it helped the cacti and plants on the back porch stay above freezing and that is good. Looks like tonight will be another really cold one, forecast now says colder than last night, sigh...

On of my big 6 foot Opuntia ficus-indica's has become floppy, which is not a good sign...

Tecomas look like I expected them to look: terrible, as do the Bougies.

A friend had a water pipe burst, now you think you should know to cover unprotected pipes, however this pipe was on the roof and she did not know it was there. Water pipes on the roof???? Not pretty.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

January 13, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9383835

THIS BITES~~~~
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

January 13, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9383880

I agree Fish Knees!
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 13, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9383968

Was kinda lucky, I guess, was only 29 here last night. Nothing looks worse than it did from Fri night, so fingers crossed. Of course some plants are covered and won't be uncovered for a couple days, so we will have to see.

Susie
RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9384069

It looks like we had less than 25 degrees . I am with Fishie. This bites .
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9384112

Currently 28 here, hate to see where it ends up.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9384454

Thank goodness it "only" got down to 21 last night, as I was expecting the teens.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

January 14, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9384456

It was 21 here as well. Things are looking pretty sad out there.
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9384458

26 here...coulda been worse I suppose...only one casualty so far (Arrojadoa)...
Birdlady_Susie
Mesa, AZ

January 14, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9384694

Funny how the coldest time is right before sunrise. You know what they say- it is always coldest before the dawn - there is a reason for that saying.

At 5:30 it was 29 degrees, at 6:45 it was 27 degrees. Some more sad things and some even sadder things, not much to do about it, no use crying over frozen spilled milk. Only tonight and tomorrow night to suffer through these horrid temps, then things will warm up a little, hopefully.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9384870

We were 15 degrees yesterday morning in the yard but 22 on the patio!! I have quite a few casualties but I am hoping this wipes out the scale and white fly infestation I was bombarded with this past year
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 14, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9385149

I agree...my mantra has been: "The freeze also kills bad bugs!" This summer we had many more black widow spiders, in addition to white flies, grape leaf skeletonizers, and the lovely caterpillars that tore through the tecomas and bouganvillas, after the mild winter this time last year.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
9:45 PM

Post #9385468

Brown stink bugs ate their way through all my curcubites and I'm hoping the freeze kills the BSB's off so I can try pumpkins again.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9386430

I'm hoping it has hit the crickets. Every time I picked up a pot, they jumped everywhere.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9386459

Grasshoppers!!!! Die creeps die...
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9386471

2 more casualties today...one more night of this...
Batten down the hatches one more time...
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9386617

It did not get as cold as the other nights in the back yard, only 26F, despite the reports that said it was the coldest night, microclimates rule. Things looked more or less status quo this morning, but this evening I came home to find that one of the 7ft Opuntoa ficus-indica's in the front yard had broken in two... so now I got 3 of them a 7 footer, and 2 ~ 4 footers (that is how I ended up with 2 in the first place). You can see the big prickly pears get 'floppy' around the neighborhood. I had put in a long stake for support, but it was too flimsy. One more night, but as far as I can tell not as cold as the last few nights.
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 15, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9386654

I've been too chicken to take the covers off my plants to see how they've fared...I'll do that tomorrow when it warms up and looks like I can keep them off for good (fingers crossed). Uncovered tender stuff is toast, of course. My jacaranda is soooo soaked from leaving the sprinkler on underneath I probably won't have to water for months...I know I will, it's just the ground is so soggy right now.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9386668

Looks like the one thing I was hoping the freeze would kill is going to come out unscathed; the weeds.
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9386876

28 at 7am...and NOW they are predicting 27 again for tonight...AAAAAHHHH!!!
At least it should be warmer today during the day...
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9386946

We bottomed out @ 28, currently 32 @ 8 AM.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9386969

Got 26F as low and 31F right now...
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 16, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9387287

I hear ya minime!
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9387894

"Only" 32 degrees this morning at 6 a.m. I see a heat wave in our future. Okay, maybe just up to normal temps... So many of my plants look trashed, maybe they can bounce back if it will stay warm enough. Some are goners.
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9387937

Yep - only 33 for me...heat wave indeed! = )
A couple of more casualties that MAY recover (plants split up the side): Vatricania & Mila...
Sigh...
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9387992

It was a balmy 37 last night and already up to 48 this morning. Deep in the heart of the cannas I found signs of survival, but the habaneros don't look so hot even though they were covered.
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9387993

Oh no, we're still dipping, sun's just coming up. 30.9. Still not in the 20s, yay!
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9388035

[quote="frogymon"]... the habaneros don't look so hot ...
[/quote]

Insert rimshot here!
; )
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9388246

Ha ha!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 17, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9388811

Well my landscape is fried. But it was 50 today. 3 days in the lows of mid 20 was not pretty. I have only looked at the landscape from a far. Saturday I will walk it but I know it will not be pretty. Good luck everyone. Sharon
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2013
9:48 PM

Post #9388821

My cannas are mostly toast, the lemon looks poor, the habaneros took damage even under a blanket and the red salvia may be done for; same for the Takanotsume peppers and most of the succulents in the barrow out back. Everything on the porch did well.
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

January 18, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9389567

Won't the cannas come back from the bulb (rhyzome?)
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2013
12:04 AM

Post #9389841

Crista, they should, and there's even still some green in the center of the clump. Considering I started these from seed, I'd hate to lose them.

Thumbnail by frogymon   Thumbnail by frogymon         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9390116

Did not kill the grasshoppers - in fact I think they are BIGGER. And now think the straw bale that has been sitting under the lady banks hedge for a couple of years, and that I pulled apart to mulch the tomato beds is full of the *&*%#( creeps. All I managed to accomplish is to transport them, with no effort on their part, to the best tomato bed for spring. Jeez. This farming is fraught with things that can go wrong. :-|
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9390416

My garden is mostly mush right now.
I did find it amusing when I get up in the morning and it was in the high twenties and I thought that felt much warmer.
Really who in their right mind think the high twenty's is warmer?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9390787

We only got down to 42 last night, a far cry from the 20-22 earlier this week.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America