Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Organic Producers Fight Back Against Monsanto

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 69, Views: 509
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9372154

Read about it here

http://rareseeds.com/GMO_lawsuit

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9372202

I love the blue tomato, where can I get seeds ?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 1, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9372207

Would be nice if, for once, the law was on the side of the non-GMO growers.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9372230

Hopefully more and more people and companies will fight back against monsanto. they really need to be stopped!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9372282

There have been lawsuits before, many of them, it's an ongoing story, especially for those of us who are SSE members to read about in the non-Yearbook publications we get each year.

The color of the blue one is not the right color. You can go to Google IMAGES and enter OSUP20 andhopefully see what the right color is, which is a dark purple.Baker Creek is offering a mixed bag of so called Blueberry ones, but that in itself is wrong.

And stems from the the development of a so called blue in England and somehow folks thought that either a blueberry gene was spliced in, or whatever. But it was a snapdragon gene, so that one is a GMO variety, not yet released to thepublic. The and P20 ones weren't released either, but they got out and I wo n't say anything more about that. ( smile)

Country, you can find the high anthocyanin ones at almost every seed site these days, or ones developedfrom them sold asOSU ( OregonState U, where Dr. Fred Myers started this project)or OSU P20 , a selection from the original OSU one. The only one releasedto the public by his lab is Indigo Rose.

The problem has been developing something that really tastes good, and many breeders, both professional and amateur are worling on it, but to date the fruits don't taste very good tomost folks and I'm seeing the same comments about Indigo Rose.So at this point Ithink many consider them to be novelty varieties, grown for look/show, and that's about it

Carolyn

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9372336

I'll stick with red. Of the thousands of people at our market, once this past season I was asked for a yellow tomato.
Other years have offered heirlooms, but people only want perfect red tomatoes.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9372373

Red tomatoes are all people around here want also.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
9:05 PM

Post #9372856

True enough those of us that feel yellow ,less acid, tomatoes are more palatable are not as many as might be, and usually grow them ourselves with any chance at all.
Except for the seeds ,we are not a real economic influencing bunch !lol As far as buying and selling tomatoes anyway
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9372943

Juhur, it turns out that yellow and white fruited varieties do not have less acid. They have the same amount as most other colored ones but they have a high sugar content that masks the acidity.

If I had time I'd go fetch some links for you, but I don't.

Yes, I know what some seed places say abuot this and that variety being less acid, but how can I say it, they're wrong. LOL

Carolyn

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9373356

Truth is I have read that also , about yellow tomatoes not being any less acidic .They do seem less so of effect ,and taste more palatable to me ,
Even if it is my imagination ,it is like allow me my fantasies !! I enjoy them( lol
Besides any thing previous ,it the only good thing I have to argue about?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9376053

I wonder how many individuals listening to this lawsuit are gardeners or farmers. If the answer is “none”, then I’m afraid the pleas will fall on deaf ears.

The non-educated in ways of growing food do not know that contamination of crops happens when wind blows pollen from one area to another – sometimes doing so for many miles.

Unless this is explained to the judges in terms they can understand, we gardeners/farmers are wasting our breath!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2013 10:07 AM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9376107

Open pollen, close in pollen etc natural hybrid, cell patents, patent restricted , on ,on, on,
I would rather listen to Senate Commission Hearings , etc not happening..
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 5, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9376221

What's frustrating is that Monsanto had to have known (since they're much smarter than we) that cross-pollination would occur. Guess that's one way of forming a monopoly.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9376347

You are correct, Cindy. Monsanto must know how cross-pollination occurs. Hmmm... maybe someone should point that out to the judges. Seems to me they WANTED their crops to cross-pollinate!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9376363

It sounds like a case of we own that because we have the wealth., the power, we are using that to develop and create more wealth, and besides nobody and none you ever said, that any of you or anybody else had owned it
Power to the monsters!! Freedom is in the Lavatory...!!!

Pardon only feeling a little anti- social after reading that.. What's next ? Hey that radish walked it's mine!!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9376400

Well anyway i forgot to say You all be careful and take care now,,, You might catch the Monsanto virus,, ( them from jaws) doo doot doo doot...
Wouldn't be as easy to chase out of the garden as rabbits would it. Genetic conspiracy by natural cross pollination and cell manipulation ( Haven't I heard that someplace before?)
Well here's a beer to being a synthetic Organic Biological ,, HMMMM interesting !!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 5, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9376470

That phrase "genetic conspiracy" is pretty catchy!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9376820

juhur7- freedom in the lavatory doesn't sound any better then freedom in the laboratory. Lol
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9377892

Although not specifically about tomatoes, you may be interested in an article about an early GMO critic who has reversed his position.

http://www.examiner.com/article/prominent-gmo-critic-recants-positions?CID=examiner_alerts_article
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9377915

Mark lynas has a history of totally reversing his opinions, not the most creditable source. first he was anti nuclear power, then he flip flops and says it is ok. now doing the same thing with GM0s. happens a lot when the big money of what you are opposing buys you out in one way or another. do some research, no doubt there will be some financial gains that seem to happen around the same time as these reversals.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/britains_mark_lynas_riles_his_green_movement_allies/2449/
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 7, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9377938

Makes me wonder about the so-called reversals of some of Dr. Oz's statements.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9377965

What a bunch of s***!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9378192

Monsanto is destroying all opposition in one way or another, buying opposers out, crushing them financially with law suits, anything they can do to silence them. When a bee institute published a study that directly linked roundup with the decline in the bee population, monsanto bought them out for an amazing sum of money and now presto-no more studies being done. Their gmo corn is made to kill the rats that feed on it, then that same corn is harvested and feed to humans. who knows what bizarre cancers will show up down the road.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9378376

Now I want you to prove GMO corn is supposed to kill rats.
If you can't come up with proof, it's time for this thread to close!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9378396

http://news.discovery.com/earth/is-genetically-modified-corn-toxic.html

study after study has proven that gmo corn is toxic and tumor inducing. this particular study is from monsanto itself.

why would you close this thread? why would you not want discussion? if i am wrong i will be the first to admit it, and perhaps i worded what i said incorrectly, but GMO corn does kill. it is modified to kill what feeds on it so it will yield a larger crop. how can this possibly be good from anyone to eat?
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9378399

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2012/09/gmo-corn-rat-tumor

Thumbnail by risingcreek
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9378414

This all really "beating" it , The point to me is this; the GMO hybrids , are grown ,have been eaten ,Any damage done ,is done already;
Some believe it is like radiation,were all exposed and dead, unto others it does not mean anything.

IF it has done genetic damage any"" fuel on the fire""" so to speak ,makes no difference, All that leaves is arguments about destroying peoples living , and that has gotten bad enough as it is..

As for me I guess I will believe either when I see little green martians walking around , that will prove pro or con has adapted..

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9378478

30% of the rats eating regular feed got tumors. Did you miss that ?
Check out the other little headlines in the article. It's just another thing blowing about things they are against, true or not. Like people protesting anything else. Can we find something to holler about. Next it will be the stars are causing eye problems!

Now, understand I am not for or against GMO or Round up. I just hate when people jump on some bandwagon for the sake of being part of the group.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9378498

I have read a lot of articles about the company since last year ,I have read that about the rodents. Sounds like the FDA about a lot of foods , Are they right ? are they wrong? You and I are not likely to know for a long while. As with many things it takes time. I am pro towards company ideas that came from you, I, us, the people and so on., I am disgruntled at the results being pressed or forced to happen.
For the sake of trying to start an argument with you (LOL) about the tide or momentum of this There is a Star that causes eye damage ,it is label named as the Sun.One in how many? go blind or suffer permanent eye and vision damage from visual staring at the Sun.
It is not all that many for the number that have...Only i would bet money you have heard that before...lol
I forgot to add, if you listen to all that very carefully you will hear or read that neither side of the argument really knows what they are doing(or what the results will be) How possibly could anybody here or elsewhere? It is all pressed way beyond common comprehension!!!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2013 8:26 PM
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9378704

If there is nothing wrong with them why are they banned in one form or another, in almost all of europe, india, some south american countries? why do these countries deem them unhealthy and the usa does not? money-bottom line

as far as 30% chance of cancer from foods i eat, 0% would be much better. 30% is too much. if you had a 30 % chance of being killed every time you did something would you keep doing whatever that thing was, or would you change your habits? People that think monsanto is wonderful and there is no danger from gmos are more than welcome to their choices. they are not my choices and never will be.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9378708

Just a side note. No, I'm not for GMOs but using rats for research has been controversial for a long time. I have had pet rats all my life and 50 % of them died of cancer. They are prone to it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9378761

Yes, risingcreek, you twisted the story around. 30% of the rats died that ate the control food. Nothing to do with the food you eat.
This is what I am saying, people twist things around to fit their agenda.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 8, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9379001

Anyone see anything wrong with using a little caution when we start fooling with genes and chemicals instead of having them muscled through the approval process? Hind sight can have horrible consequences and do irreversible damage. Ask thalidomide and agent orange survivors or the farmer that can't harvest his own seeds. Some of these companies tend to be arrogant when it comes to that.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9379002

Believe everything you read on the internet. It's all true...you are getting sleepy...veeeeery sleeeepy...

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9379945

When I purchase food, I look for the USDA ORGANIC icon on the label.

All I ask from those who produce genetically altered food is that they put an icon on the label that says so.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9380294

Same here, then I can make the choice.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 9, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9380368

A major problem is that there are four different levels of USDA organic labelling. Honestly, right now I don't have the time to go fetch a link but Google should do it for you.

Carolyn

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9380414

Yeah ,all kinds of labels .. RADIATION WARNING ,, the little yellow label on the side..

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 9, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9380415

Think most everybody would like to have that label(GMO or not). Which is weird why, probably the most health conscious state California, voted down labeling on meat this past election. Made no sense to me. Then I read this...

"Opponents of the measure said it would have raised the food costs to consumers an average of $400 per year."

http://www.meatpoultry.com/News/News%20Home/Regulatory/2012/11/Measure%20to%20require%20GMO%20labeling%20fails%20in%20California.aspx?cck=1

I guess saving $400 a year is better than knowing for most here? I was shocked it didn't pass.

Guess the thing that gets me the most, is all the misinformation that gets passed from blog to blog, website to website, person to person without anybody really knowing what's true and what isn't. They think because somebody made a graphic or posted it on their blog, it must be true. What I posted before was in jest(of course) and how easy it is to make something (identical style in this case) and fabricate away. I've seen lots of stuff online that spreads like a wildfire and is just somebody's opinion that lacks any substantial facts. There is really very little journalistic integrity when it comes to the internet.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 9, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9380568

The reason most foods and other things are banned in other countries is to protect that countries farmers from imported competition. For a long time Japan banned American apples, and no one here was dying from eating them, and just recently i read where Russia is banning Beef imports.

If the labels on food for just one item increased the cost to the consumer by $400.00 per year, i think we should also remember that the Government will have to hire a new group of people at the same cost to double check the veracity of the label. Then the Government will have to buy cars for the Inspectors and Supervisors, Gas for the cars, Pensions for all of them, etc., ad nauseum, and instead of those labels actually costing $400.00, it will probable be several times that amount. All spent by others and paid for by US. Everyone is going to die of something, but so far there does not seem to be anyone that has died from GMO.

And what keeps us much safer than the labels and inspectors is the fact that the producers know if their products kill people, it will put them out of business. Not too long ago peanut butter killed a few people and the company went bankrupt. Then the Medicine manufacturer killed a few people and they were bankrupt in short order. So it is that fear of being put out of business that provides us all with protection from being poisoned or killed by defective products.

Ernie
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9380598

Too tired at the moment to go into much detail. But there are a lot of concerns about GMOs and they aren't all about causing humans to die. There was some discussion on our local radio and one of the issues is that many of the insects become immune to the effects of the pesticides and some weeds are immune to the effects of Round Up.

GMOs could be like asbestos was, where the results aren't seen for years, even tho the company knew about the risks. I still think it's not too much to ask to have the products labeled. If Monsanto thinks GMOs are so safe it seems like they'd want everybody to know...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 9, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9380637

I posted this in another forum, thought it might be of interest here.

Today there was an article in the paper. Some idiot in the federal government talking about food safety said we will need to keep animals away from crops. Does this fool know anything ?

We have deer, raccoon, skunk, rabbit, groundhog, couple kinds of gophers, just to name some. All are protected during the summer. Then there are the geese, pheasants & tons of song birds.
It would be a job for some of the government dummies, standing in the field like a scarecrow!
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9380646

[quote="CountryGardens"]I posted this in another forum, thought it might be of interest here.

Today there was an article in the paper. Some idiot in the federal government talking about food safety said we will need to keep animals away from crops. Does this fool know anything ?

We have deer, raccoon, skunk, rabbit, groundhog, couple kinds of gophers, just to name some. All are protected during the summer. Then there are the geese, pheasants & tons of song birds.
It would be a job for some of the government dummies, standing in the field like a scarecrow![/quote]

Do you have a link to the article? Proof would be nice or maybe we should (at your advice) close this thread... LOL!

Do you think that they may have been talking about livestock?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9380772

Farmers are not that dumb that they would put livestock in a field with growing crops.

I would imagine this person has never seen a farm. Thinks everything is made in a factory.
When they interview kids from New York or other large cities, they don't know milk comes from a cow, for example.

The article was in Fairmont Sentinal in MN. Don't know if they have a web site.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 10, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9380779

Here in NYS it's apple country and most of the orchardists know enough to fence in the orchards so cattle can't get in, and there are some who are NOT dumb, but are just ignorant of the diseases that can be spread by beef cows in particular.

Those who also make cider have very strict guidelines to follow after new rules were put in place a few years ago.

Carolyn

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9380888

Hate to say it, but a little humor here, those beef cows climbing apple trees now ?

That's my point, self respecting farmers won't have livestock in their fields.
Patti1957
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9381064

Around here we worry about run off from the beef ranchers that flood irrigate their pastures. It runs back into the water source which is what the farmers use to irrigate their crops.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 10, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9381065

Another article about Mark Lynas "conversion".
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_26862.cfm
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 10, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9381083

Interesting article on GMO labeling -
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_26864.cfm

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9381161

What a bunch of bull, using facebook as a source.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9381171

Hey CG are you a French internet model by chance?lol

Are you the grove caretaker with the cow climbing the tree in the background picking apples?

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 5:31 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9381183

Could be.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9381185

Wrong pic, is this better ?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9381186

Right on!!!!!ROFL!!!!!!! ROFL!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

I believe the first says it better,
The second is more like we know who (or whom ) is deciding things

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 5:40 PM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
11:51 AM

Post #9383754

On their website, Trader Joe's says they do not sell GMO products under their Trader Joe label. That's where I spend most of my food dollars.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9384536

"Since there is no intention on the part of contaminated farmers to infringe patents, there can be no patent infringement. Instead, contamination is in fact a trespass, causing damage to the affected farmers. The complaint contends that it is “perverse” that farmers whose crops have been contaminated should also be subject to litigation for patent infringement." quoted from rare seeds.com/GMO lawsuit.

To me this says it all. It's Monsanto who is causing the contamination of non-GMO crops and should therefore be liable. It will be interesting to see if the courts rule in favor of the 'big high contibuting to political funds corporation' or the simple farmer's welfare. What do you think?

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 14, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9384551

While I agree with your interpretation and am in favor of the farmer, government agency track records seem to favor the corporation. Wish I could feel more positive about the outcome. Before too long, the big ag corps could be spouting words like "eminent domain" (sarcasm on my part).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9384657

[quote="CindyMzone5"]While I agree with your interpretation and am in favor of the farmer, government agency track records seem to favor the corporation. Wish I could feel more positive about the outcome. Before too long, the big ag corps could be spouting words like "eminent domain" (sarcasm on my part).[/quote]

Yes it is all catchy into rephrase and repose ,, Only the first thing I thought of reading that was cats and dogs "marking" their territory
Any way this all "goes" It will be "on" someone
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 14, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9385137

Cindy, Of course the Courts will decide for the big Corporation. As i recall, the Court made the little old lady that poured hot coffee in her lap pay McDonalds three million dollars. Or did they?

Actually it is always the ultimate consumer that pays, no mattter who loses. If Monsanto loses, their customers will pay and if the Farmer loses, he will pass the costs along to his customers along with all his other expenses. That is just the way the world works, and if the Ultimate Consumer could sell what he passes along, he would charge his customers, too.

That is so simple i do not know why so many people do not understand it. We, the consumers, pay all for ALL of the costs, taxes, labels, inspectors, and everything else involved in the cost of that product. Nothing is FREE.

Ernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 14, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9385406

Believe it or not, the past two years consumers have been paying for my increased cost of gas to get to the market.
Most people do understand this.

Today I had a little talk with my garden gal. She started last spring & we have kept her on this winter. I am going to put her in charge of 4 high tunnels & an area where we will grow lettuce , herbs & other small items. I know she will do a great job. (Don't tell anybody, but I am lucky that she showed up last year looking for a job.)
Three of the tunnels will be tomatoes, the other one mostly cucumbers.

Picture, Arbason tomatoes in high tunnel. July 10.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 10:25 PM

ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 14, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9385441

CG, Well, i think somewhere between you and i, which makes two, and most, may understand it, but not very many of them here in CA realize it. So they keep passing laws and regulations, believing that it will not cost US anything because THEY have to pay for it.

I am glad you are able to pass on the increased cost of gas, or otherwise you would soon be out of business.

Ernie

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9385447

The realization of commands ,controls ,and regulations all becoming the same fiasco..Do you believe in half truths? a little (lol) to go please. (that is how I feel often times anymore when I purchase anything regulated)
and ... YES I know I am part of the problem ...Only I really do not care that I am, A smaller lol

I was not the one who earned being regulated ...
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 14, 2013
9:32 PM

Post #9385464

J7, I am with you 100% on your thought of being part of the problem. One of my all time heroes was Pogo, in the Walt Kelly ? strip, and he said it all: "I has seen the enemy, and he is US."

Ernie
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 15, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9385829

Geez - I don't think I'm naive enough to believe that much in life is free and that costs (regardless of whether it's the cost of a paper label or far more expensive things like fuel) do get passed down to consumers regardless of product. Do I want Monsanto to decide where my money goes? Heck, no.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9386865

What happened to this thread which was supposed to be about ORGANIC producers fighting back against Monsanto?

It's not just organic producers it's lots of non-organic growers as well.

I have yet to post in this thread as I saw it developing so here's a few thoughts.

Not one of you mentioned Syngenta, who also produce GMO seeds.

Was it in this thread that someone mentioned it was impossible to keep GMO corn products out of the normal food chain? I can't remember, but it's true and all of you are doing so with corn products of almost any kind that you buy in the grocery store.

As a long time SSE member I've been deluged with information about GMO's almost since I joined SSE in 1989.

Am I totally opposed to GMO seeds? No, I'm not. I feel that often not enough testing is done before some are released and in many cases there's no way of knowing what the results can be since it isn't known exactly where in the genome that the transferred genes go and what that might do to alter the proteins made.

Politics aside now, I'm thinking of all the 3rd world countries where thousands of individuals die every day of starvation, and what the use of GMO grain crops has done to help that situation.

THe whole issue is complicated and emotional, but I'm not one to say that some GMO seeds are NOT useful, far from it.When I look at the medical applications using GMO technology, which none of you have mentioned I am
very thanful that we have so many insulin products that are GMO's, and yes, I'm a diabetic, and that's just one example.

There's always some issue to be enraged about but GMO seeds is not that high on my list these days. It's so easy to personally internalize these GMO issues and not think of the benefits that GMO anything can bring.

Carolyn, who also wanted to mention that it was just ONE lab in France that did the study on GMO corn and rats, and I've seen no other published papers agreeing with the conclusions. And to me, as a former scientist, with no confirmation the results are not accpeted by the scientific community. I was going to give some links about this earlier, but when I saw how this thread went off track, I didn't. So please, lets not go back to the rat/corn issue again.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 16, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9387118

Carolyn,
Thank you for adding so much knowedgeable content to this discussion. I am neutral on the actual GMO, as i understand the huge benefits you mention and also aware that there is always a risk in every step forward. And taking those necessary steps forward are always worth the risk.

But I am very much against taking freedom away from anyone, or trying to control others, as the only way we can retain our own freedom is to protect it for everyone.

So, the discussion has ranged rather widely, to lawsuits, boycotts, etc., that are a very real part of the GMO discussion.

Ernie

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9387129

The largest argument of what I have seen is ownership of land production use and marketing , Basically Monsanto is saying they own it all .
I am not saying they are bad , but that gives the feeling they want this worked and decided of law , as they have something future in mind.
I am wondering? the same as growers and producers... If I was doing business I would worry about what that might be..
Seems standard concerns covers it.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 16, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9387138

Carolyn - thanks for bringing us back to topic.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9387165

Just Label It!

http://justlabelit.org/

That's all I, and lots of others, ask...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9387431

I'm with you Bee. Even with insulin you know what your getting...and there are more tests done on pharmaceuticals, then other chemicals, when it comes to Acute or Chronic Exposure.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America