Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Organic Producers Fight Back Against Monsanto

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Read about it here

http://rareseeds.com/GMO_lawsuit

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I love the blue tomato, where can I get seeds ?

Hobart, IN

Would be nice if, for once, the law was on the side of the non-GMO growers.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Hopefully more and more people and companies will fight back against monsanto. they really need to be stopped!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

There have been lawsuits before, many of them, it's an ongoing story, especially for those of us who are SSE members to read about in the non-Yearbook publications we get each year.

The color of the blue one is not the right color. You can go to Google IMAGES and enter OSUP20 andhopefully see what the right color is, which is a dark purple.Baker Creek is offering a mixed bag of so called Blueberry ones, but that in itself is wrong.

And stems from the the development of a so called blue in England and somehow folks thought that either a blueberry gene was spliced in, or whatever. But it was a snapdragon gene, so that one is a GMO variety, not yet released to thepublic. The and P20 ones weren't released either, but they got out and I wo n't say anything more about that. ( smile)

Country, you can find the high anthocyanin ones at almost every seed site these days, or ones developedfrom them sold asOSU ( OregonState U, where Dr. Fred Myers started this project)or OSU P20 , a selection from the original OSU one. The only one releasedto the public by his lab is Indigo Rose.

The problem has been developing something that really tastes good, and many breeders, both professional and amateur are worling on it, but to date the fruits don't taste very good tomost folks and I'm seeing the same comments about Indigo Rose.So at this point Ithink many consider them to be novelty varieties, grown for look/show, and that's about it

Carolyn

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I'll stick with red. Of the thousands of people at our market, once this past season I was asked for a yellow tomato.
Other years have offered heirlooms, but people only want perfect red tomatoes.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Red tomatoes are all people around here want also.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

True enough those of us that feel yellow ,less acid, tomatoes are more palatable are not as many as might be, and usually grow them ourselves with any chance at all.
Except for the seeds ,we are not a real economic influencing bunch !lol As far as buying and selling tomatoes anyway

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Juhur, it turns out that yellow and white fruited varieties do not have less acid. They have the same amount as most other colored ones but they have a high sugar content that masks the acidity.

If I had time I'd go fetch some links for you, but I don't.

Yes, I know what some seed places say abuot this and that variety being less acid, but how can I say it, they're wrong. LOL

Carolyn

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Truth is I have read that also , about yellow tomatoes not being any less acidic .They do seem less so of effect ,and taste more palatable to me ,
Even if it is my imagination ,it is like allow me my fantasies !! I enjoy them( lol
Besides any thing previous ,it the only good thing I have to argue about?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I wonder how many individuals listening to this lawsuit are gardeners or farmers. If the answer is “none”, then I’m afraid the pleas will fall on deaf ears.

The non-educated in ways of growing food do not know that contamination of crops happens when wind blows pollen from one area to another – sometimes doing so for many miles.

Unless this is explained to the judges in terms they can understand, we gardeners/farmers are wasting our breath!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2013 10:07 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Open pollen, close in pollen etc natural hybrid, cell patents, patent restricted , on ,on, on,
I would rather listen to Senate Commission Hearings , etc not happening..

Hobart, IN

What's frustrating is that Monsanto had to have known (since they're much smarter than we) that cross-pollination would occur. Guess that's one way of forming a monopoly.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

You are correct, Cindy. Monsanto must know how cross-pollination occurs. Hmmm... maybe someone should point that out to the judges. Seems to me they WANTED their crops to cross-pollinate!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It sounds like a case of we own that because we have the wealth., the power, we are using that to develop and create more wealth, and besides nobody and none you ever said, that any of you or anybody else had owned it
Power to the monsters!! Freedom is in the Lavatory...!!!

Pardon only feeling a little anti- social after reading that.. What's next ? Hey that radish walked it's mine!!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well anyway i forgot to say You all be careful and take care now,,, You might catch the Monsanto virus,, ( them from jaws) doo doot doo doot....
Wouldn't be as easy to chase out of the garden as rabbits would it. Genetic conspiracy by natural cross pollination and cell manipulation ( Haven't I heard that someplace before?)
Well here's a beer to being a synthetic Organic Biological ,, HMMMM interesting !!!

Hobart, IN

That phrase "genetic conspiracy" is pretty catchy!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

juhur7- freedom in the lavatory doesn't sound any better then freedom in the laboratory. Lol

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Although not specifically about tomatoes, you may be interested in an article about an early GMO critic who has reversed his position.

http://www.examiner.com/article/prominent-gmo-critic-recants-positions?CID=examiner_alerts_article

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Mark lynas has a history of totally reversing his opinions, not the most creditable source. first he was anti nuclear power, then he flip flops and says it is ok. now doing the same thing with GM0s. happens a lot when the big money of what you are opposing buys you out in one way or another. do some research, no doubt there will be some financial gains that seem to happen around the same time as these reversals.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/britains_mark_lynas_riles_his_green_movement_allies/2449/

Hobart, IN

Makes me wonder about the so-called reversals of some of Dr. Oz's statements.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What a bunch of s***!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

Monsanto is destroying all opposition in one way or another, buying opposers out, crushing them financially with law suits, anything they can do to silence them. When a bee institute published a study that directly linked roundup with the decline in the bee population, monsanto bought them out for an amazing sum of money and now presto-no more studies being done. Their gmo corn is made to kill the rats that feed on it, then that same corn is harvested and feed to humans. who knows what bizarre cancers will show up down the road.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Now I want you to prove GMO corn is supposed to kill rats.
If you can't come up with proof, it's time for this thread to close!

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

http://news.discovery.com/earth/is-genetically-modified-corn-toxic.html

study after study has proven that gmo corn is toxic and tumor inducing. this particular study is from monsanto itself.

why would you close this thread? why would you not want discussion? if i am wrong i will be the first to admit it, and perhaps i worded what i said incorrectly, but GMO corn does kill. it is modified to kill what feeds on it so it will yield a larger crop. how can this possibly be good from anyone to eat?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This all really "beating" it , The point to me is this; the GMO hybrids , are grown ,have been eaten ,Any damage done ,is done already;
Some believe it is like radiation,were all exposed and dead, unto others it does not mean anything.

IF it has done genetic damage any"" fuel on the fire""" so to speak ,makes no difference, All that leaves is arguments about destroying peoples living , and that has gotten bad enough as it is..

As for me I guess I will believe either when I see little green martians walking around , that will prove pro or con has adapted..

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

30% of the rats eating regular feed got tumors. Did you miss that ?
Check out the other little headlines in the article. It's just another thing blowing about things they are against, true or not. Like people protesting anything else. Can we find something to holler about. Next it will be the stars are causing eye problems!

Now, understand I am not for or against GMO or Round up. I just hate when people jump on some bandwagon for the sake of being part of the group.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have read a lot of articles about the company since last year ,I have read that about the rodents. Sounds like the FDA about a lot of foods , Are they right ? are they wrong? You and I are not likely to know for a long while. As with many things it takes time. I am pro towards company ideas that came from you, I, us, the people and so on., I am disgruntled at the results being pressed or forced to happen.
For the sake of trying to start an argument with you (LOL) about the tide or momentum of this There is a Star that causes eye damage ,it is label named as the Sun.One in how many? go blind or suffer permanent eye and vision damage from visual staring at the Sun.
It is not all that many for the number that have....Only i would bet money you have heard that before...lol
I forgot to add, if you listen to all that very carefully you will hear or read that neither side of the argument really knows what they are doing(or what the results will be) How possibly could anybody here or elsewhere? It is all pressed way beyond common comprehension!!!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2013 8:26 PM

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

If there is nothing wrong with them why are they banned in one form or another, in almost all of europe, india, some south american countries? why do these countries deem them unhealthy and the usa does not? money-bottom line

as far as 30% chance of cancer from foods i eat, 0% would be much better. 30% is too much. if you had a 30 % chance of being killed every time you did something would you keep doing whatever that thing was, or would you change your habits? People that think monsanto is wonderful and there is no danger from gmos are more than welcome to their choices. they are not my choices and never will be.

Just a side note. No, I'm not for GMOs but using rats for research has been controversial for a long time. I have had pet rats all my life and 50 % of them died of cancer. They are prone to it.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, risingcreek, you twisted the story around. 30% of the rats died that ate the control food. Nothing to do with the food you eat.
This is what I am saying, people twist things around to fit their agenda.

Hobart, IN

Anyone see anything wrong with using a little caution when we start fooling with genes and chemicals instead of having them muscled through the approval process? Hind sight can have horrible consequences and do irreversible damage. Ask thalidomide and agent orange survivors or the farmer that can't harvest his own seeds. Some of these companies tend to be arrogant when it comes to that.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Believe everything you read on the internet. It's all true......you are getting sleepy....veeeeery sleeeepy...

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

When I purchase food, I look for the USDA ORGANIC icon on the label.

All I ask from those who produce genetically altered food is that they put an icon on the label that says so.

Same here, then I can make the choice.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

A major problem is that there are four different levels of USDA organic labelling. Honestly, right now I don't have the time to go fetch a link but Google should do it for you.

Carolyn

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah ,all kinds of labels .. RADIATION WARNING ,, the little yellow label on the side..

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Think most everybody would like to have that label(GMO or not). Which is weird why, probably the most health conscious state California, voted down labeling on meat this past election. Made no sense to me. Then I read this.....

"Opponents of the measure said it would have raised the food costs to consumers an average of $400 per year."

http://www.meatpoultry.com/News/News%20Home/Regulatory/2012/11/Measure%20to%20require%20GMO%20labeling%20fails%20in%20California.aspx?cck=1

I guess saving $400 a year is better than knowing for most here? I was shocked it didn't pass.

Guess the thing that gets me the most, is all the misinformation that gets passed from blog to blog, website to website, person to person without anybody really knowing what's true and what isn't. They think because somebody made a graphic or posted it on their blog, it must be true. What I posted before was in jest(of course) and how easy it is to make something (identical style in this case) and fabricate away. I've seen lots of stuff online that spreads like a wildfire and is just somebody's opinion that lacks any substantial facts. There is really very little journalistic integrity when it comes to the internet.

Vista, CA

The reason most foods and other things are banned in other countries is to protect that countries farmers from imported competition. For a long time Japan banned American apples, and no one here was dying from eating them, and just recently i read where Russia is banning Beef imports.

If the labels on food for just one item increased the cost to the consumer by $400.00 per year, i think we should also remember that the Government will have to hire a new group of people at the same cost to double check the veracity of the label. Then the Government will have to buy cars for the Inspectors and Supervisors, Gas for the cars, Pensions for all of them, etc., ad nauseum, and instead of those labels actually costing $400.00, it will probable be several times that amount. All spent by others and paid for by US. Everyone is going to die of something, but so far there does not seem to be anyone that has died from GMO.

And what keeps us much safer than the labels and inspectors is the fact that the producers know if their products kill people, it will put them out of business. Not too long ago peanut butter killed a few people and the company went bankrupt. Then the Medicine manufacturer killed a few people and they were bankrupt in short order. So it is that fear of being put out of business that provides us all with protection from being poisoned or killed by defective products.

Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.