Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: Round winged gnat type bug

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9372300

I will try to find one and take a picture, but in the meantime does anyone have a clue what these might be. It must be attracted to light as I see them near the computer monitor and also find the remains by the modem which has lights flickering.
It is about one fourth inch total and the wings are held opened when it lites. I never saw these in Alabama but this spring in Illinois they really became bothersome inside. I think they enter when I put the dogs out and follow inside to a light source. They don't seem to make any noticable noise when they fly and they are just annoying not bothering to bite or anything. Any guesses that can lead me to a picture to help with the id?
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9372307

I googled a mothfly and it looks similar, but I would have to look closer to see if they are furry
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

January 1, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9372310

The wings of moth flies usually are heavily scaled, giving them a fuzzy (moth-like) appearance. Also, they tend to fly in a series of short 'hops' rather than buzzing about like most other flies.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America