Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Plants: Tropical Plants and Gardens #128

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 230, Views: 1,706
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9372317

Here's our new thread for the New Year! Welcome all tropical plant lovers.

Please post PICTURES - we love pictures especially in winter! - and tell us about your plants and gardens.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287147/

Coleus changing color again from the cold weather.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 2:22 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9372361

I would like to ask everyone to review their dmail to see if you have any outstanding trades from the past. If someone owes you something, feel free to dmail and remind them!

Also, I'd like to see everyone go up to the sticky and clean up their trade lists! Here's a link to the sticky:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157132/

If you haven't posted your trade lists, feel free to do so!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9372500

My huge old bougie swarming the gate & celebrating it's protected status on the south side of the house.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
10:01 PM

Post #9373788

For Kay Jones... I havn't killed it yet..
In bloom yesterday...
buddah belly from seed is finally blooming ( or getting ready too)
bougie is bougieing
cc is blooming again

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9373834

Good rainy morning to everyone! Deb, I'm jealous that your nun's Orchid is heading up - mine hasn't started doing anything yet. Everything looks wonderful, my Friends!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9374076

Good rainy morning from here too and it really is good because we needed the rain so badly.

My favorite coleus are still looking good and going strong. I don't know why I have frost cloth on some things, you can always tell if you have had frost when the coleus start looking bad. I noticed my neighbors still have their crotons out, they are another good cold weather indicator.

Good growing everyone, all the plants look so great.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9374131

Great growing on the nun's orchids, there Deb! I have some spikes on mine too. Have patience, they take forEVER to get up to size and bloom. Orchids truly do teach you patience, they grow so slowly. Alice, that really is a gorgeous coleus.

A bunch of my rescued Phals from the death rack at Lowe's are putting on spikes, too. I am not expecting to see flowers until March but it's fun to anticipate . . .

I also got two little plants of Musical Notes in November at the Selby plant sale, and one has put up a flower.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 1:20 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9375197

Catching up on the last thread and this one, I love the photos and sure do want one of those nun orchids.

Dyzzy, I've been noticing out on my morning walks how amazingly gorgeous the bougainvilleas are this year...just stunning. I don't have one in my garden because I don't have a place for it to grow without getting stuck with the thorns, but do think they're pretty.

I've not noticed any damage from any of the cold nights we've had here, I did keep my orchids in my makeshift green house, which is my easy-up with drop down clear tarps. I have some peppers and tomatoes blossoming and put them in there when it dips to 40 or below. I noticed my Phal orchids are starting spouts also.

Here are some plants in my garden from a couple days ago that are usually frozen back by this time of the year.

Canna my Dad gave me is starting to bloom.

Powder Puff, not the dwarf plant so common in the nurseries...Calliandra haematocephala

Mexican flame vine is going crazy, another one usually frosted back by now.

Last two photos...Firecracker plant...This is my favorite plant in the whole garden, I bought it well over 8 years ago at Lukas gardens (the only one they had), not the common firecracker plant (Russelia equisetiformis) seen everywhere, this one is Russelia sarmentosa. It usually freezes back by December's end but not this year or last year...just a spectacular display of a red fountain in the garden. I do cut clippings each year, if anyone interested when I cut it back. I just never see this one in the nurseries.
-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9375274

Beautiful, Sherri. Flowers in January are such a bonus.

The nun's orchids are great plants you can grow in a big pot under a tree, and unlike a lot of orchids, they have nice looking foliage all year. Mine bloomed from late Feb. through the middle of April last year. But they do need a little protection from cold. I got mine from a grower out of Apopka, Chapman's Orchids. Mr. Chapman goes to most of the orchid shows around the state, so check if there is one near you, or make a trip to his greenhouse. (it's best to call first, as most small orchid growers do travel to shows a lot and there isn't staff there all the time).

I just got a new one in the mail, a gift from my kids a bit late for Christmas. It is Phaiocalanthe Kryptonite 'Chariot of Fire' from EFG Orchids up in DeLand, FL. You have a lot of great orchid growers near you, up there!

This is one of mine in bloom last March.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9375367

Sherri, you have some very interesting plants there, I love the calliandra, the buds are as unique as the flowers and that russelia is fabulous.

Elaine, you are sorely tempting me, I have avoided buying a nun's orchid although my fav nursery has them all the time. I may have to break by plant fast if I keep seeing pretty pictures like that.

We took my garden helper to the pet store so he could pick out his own toy this year. He hasn't put it down since.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9375427

Well the frost freeze we had a couple weeks ago has pretty much done in what was blooming. Except for some orchids, and a few things in the greenhouse.

Sherri, I would LOVE some cuttings of the Mexican Flame vine, mine got froze back 2 years ago and never made it back. Was a favorite with the Butterflies.
Also would love some of the Russelia sarmentosa.

Let me know what your looking for hopefully I have something you'd want.

Elaine, your going to love that Chariot of Fire, I've seen them up there at EFG and it's gorgeous.
I have the Kryptonite 'Ursula' , poor thing got knocked over in a wind storm and broke all but one bloom stalk, but it's still going strong.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9375462

Oh, that would just kill me if those big beautiful bloom stalks broke. The plant from Chapmans came to me with two stalks carefully tied to metal stakes. (you can see them in the pic above) After I nearly poked my eye out a couple of times on the stakes, I removed them and put tomato cages in both the big pots instead. I think the rings might protect the stalks if the pot fell over, too. That plant has five stalks coming this year!

Here's my other plant just opening last March (single flower on the left). It's supposed to be Phaius Microburst 'Wild Thing' but turned out to be 'Octoberfest' instead. The first plant (in full bloom on the right) is the species Phaius tankervilleae.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9375784

Variegated Musa AeAe pup.

Thumbnail by homer1958

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 5, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9376066

Oh Alice, your pup is so cute!! The toy almost looks like him!

My nun's orchids are putting up spikes also.

Nice pup, Drew!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9376076

Thanks Paula! Come on Spring!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9376101

Elaine I'm not far from Apopka and those blooms are spectacular...I have lots of big trees that I could put that orchid under.

Mj - you're more than welcome to take cuttings. I've never tried rooting cuttings of the Mexican flame vine, I'm actually seeing some flowers going to seeds since it hasn't frozen. I'll be cutting the firecracker back about Feb. and will root some of those, they root easily. I'd be willing to bring them on by so I can see your garden, been wanting to for quite sometime now.

ardesia, that dog of yours is so adorable, and too cute with the stuffed orange kitty, that looks like my real kitty...bet they'd like each other, my cat loves dogs and misses his German Shepherd chasing him around and chomping on him. When someone brings a dog over he runs right up and starts initiating play.

I had Cuban buttercups in a big planter last year and they just died out on me, but now I have two that came up from seed in the sand between my stepping stones and flowering. I'm waiting until we are past frost and will move them into a nice sandy spot off the beaten path. Funny how plants pick their spot to grow, these obviously like the sand and not the good potting soil.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9377350

love all the beautys posted, even the fur babys. Been busy at work, hope to have some basement garden time later tonight.
I think I lost my muscial notes, this will be the second time, so not going to try again.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
1:03 AM

Post #9377780

Three's a charm Debra!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9378299

I agree, keep trying Deb.

Was reading this often funny blog and saw a picture of the neatest banyon/palm tree. Hope this link works; you will have to arrow down a bit.

http://www.francesschultz.com/6661

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9378302

Debra, one of us will have a musical notes Clero. for you come spring.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9380372

Lovely article, Alice. I can relate, I am one of those singing people, one margarita . . . phew. What a beautiful resort, sadly I have as much chance as a snowflake in Florida to get my DH to Mexico.

Brazilian Red Cloak with flowers visible.
Begonia Don Miller with tiny flowers, blooming away!
Spathoglottis goes from purple/yellow to white/red as it ages.
A rescued Phal from Lowe's giving yet more buds! It had just the one bud when I got it and was all wilty and wrinkled.
Continually surprised at the range and changes of color these coleus go through. I've got about ten big plants of this one variety around the yard, and every one looks different.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9381656

beautiful eye candy, Elaine. I am so envious of your climate. we got a half inch of rain if that today, now we are going on water restrictions as the state is in drought, so I am glad I use my laundry water to jug up and save for the shrubs and trees. Ususally we have had at leats 18 inches of snow and rain by now. Ponds and lakes are dried up all over the state now. I hope our water supply resavoir holds tight. *sigh*
the basement garden is still happy, tho.
Joe is taking a vacation day tommorrow as it is going to be 65, he is BBQing a weeks worth of food, cleaning the fridge,doing laundry, sweeping the house and going shopping for groceries, while I work until 6.( I peeked at his to do list while he was in the other room) Saturday is my off day this week, and it will be back to low 30's at that time. dang it! That is ok, tho, I can sleep late and then go down and clean my garden areas up.
We have 17 bags of frozen home grown green beans to get ate up before spring. Wish I could send them out .. LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9381723

Deb, does Joe have a single brother?!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9381729

LOL, I was thinking the same or maybe he could just teach my DH how to do those things. :-)

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 11, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9381761

Sunkissed in case you haven't been able to ID your Aunt's orchid. It is actually a Dendrobium. More specifically a Nobile type. These guys look their best with a winter rest where water is restricted. This actually encourages leaf drop on the canes and when the plant blooms pretty much all you see in the flowers covering the canes. They do best in a basket or pot tilted where they can hang down as it's their natural growing habit and they all tend to smell wonderful !!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 11, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9381857

Greeting from Costa Rica,
Sorry I have been MIA but we have been here for 5 days now. Beautiful plants...jacaranda and plumeria pudica every where at 20 ft tall. I am most impressed. Passed one of the yard crew this morning planting one of the sunshine trees. It was beautiful. Orchids, as well as cactus growing on the cliffs. I was so excited to be coming ...thinking 'rain forest'...Not! We are in the Tropical Dry forest...oppisite side of the rain forest. Waa! Still beautiful flowers, but very hot and dry. It is their dry season...6 months it rans every day and then 6 months nothing. Send pictures later.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9381995

Joe sounds like me... The best house husband!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9382115

LOL, with all the stuff you haul into the house you would have to be verrrrrrry good. :-) (Either that or your spouse is a saint.)
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9382150

BOTH!!!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9383595

Hey Roly, I did finally get the ID on my orchid thanks to the good people here on DG. It is in a hanging basket and my buds are getting bigger everyday. I'm looking forward to the flowers...I didn't realize they have a nice fragrance, what a plus.

I do have a nice lookin single brother and he is a hard worker and one heck of a nice guy, really shy until you get to know him, witty, and an outdoors man. Non smoker, non drinker. 50ish. He'd kill me if he knew I just posted this.. ☺

Some more blooms from the garden this week.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed      

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9383656

We'll take him, Sun!!!!

Man, oh man - just finished cleaning out the pond and tossing water Hyacinth and water lettuce - what a nasty mess - all done now, though!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9387987

Well done, Kay. I have yet to tackle my pond this winter. The iris have taken over with rhizomes the size of my wrist. Love those reds, Sherri.

My Brug Charles Grimaldi is putting on a lovely fragrant show for my kids' visit! Mallory Jane is all eyes, taking in the outdoor world here!

Getting ready with the frost cloths again tonight, after this little cold front goes by! Getting a bit windy already but still sunny here.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9388045

I'd love to have a little baby against my chest like that...I have one son married, they're thinking about having one, but both just started new jobs this past year...so not holding my breath.

I hope the weather doesn't cool down too much...so far they're saying 44. Fingers crossed.

The brug my Dad gave me is looking so healthy. Mine is actually still in a pot in the ground since it was just newly rooted when he gave it to me last summer. It likes where it it at but I'm thinking it will get too big for that spot. I have two spots I can move it to once spring is here, one is mostly shade under an live oak, with very early sun and late sun and trickled sun through-out the day, only a few feet from where it is now ( the close photo of the brug you can see the background past the hedge of podocarpus trees is where I'd move it to). The other spot would be shaded till about 2PM and then full sun the rest of the day...thinking that might be too much sun.That area is behind the umbrella in the photo to the left of the schefflera trees and would have lots of room for a nice canopy...

What do you think?

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9388127

Sherry, I think your Brug. will get too big and tall to be planted under any trees. Mine is over 10' tall, and it dies back to the ground every year. I'd choose a spot on the east or south side of your home, where it won't get too hot, but has plenty of room to grow large. Do you know which Brug your dad gave you?

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9388194

Thanks Elaine, don't know what kind it is but the flowers look the same color as the Charles Grimaldi you posted. My father got them from a neighbor years ago and keeps rooting them and has about five plants now.

Didn't realize they could get that big. I'll have to think about a spot now...I'm so running out of room around here...ugh.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9388196

Sherry, can you move a shrub that can be pruned, put it somewhere else, then plant your Brug in the spot where the shrub was?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9388364

Sherri, my experience has been that the brugs don't compete well with the tree roots near oak trees.

If you want it to stay under the oak tree, or anywhere near it where there will be roots from the tree invading, I'd leave it in a large pot, and just keep it pruned so it doesn't grow out of the pot too often.

Mine are all around the yard in sunken pots because I have oaks all around the house. The one in the pictures above is in a large pot on my patio. It is over 7ft tall, including the pot.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9388724

Sherri, I have to agree with everyone here..
KayJOnes, you know u made my day , thanks. Nuns orchids are about to pop open, Joe is so kacited!
Elaine, how is my monster white doing? LoL
You all are not going to believe this, but tommorrow i am getting a new breaker box with extra breakers dedicated to the plant light fixtures, and having three t5 long lights installed in the main growing room. I CAN"T WAIT!!! we had to lose electircity and heat for three days over the past week for us to be put into action, tho., man, that was TOUGH. I stayed in bed to stay warm most of the time LOL. Plants are in the dark right now except a couple spot lights on the nuns orchids. all the brugs and tall plants are waiting anxiously for their new "sunlight" I guess I had three times the max amps allowed per outlet with my lights, i am surprised the house didn't catch fire, but the breakers were old ( 50 years old) and the meter outside had melted a "lug" and the wires leading to the house..was going to cost more than double normal price to come out on a SUnday, so Joe said aww we can tough it until Monday. the electric people said it wasn't my fault for the meter, tho, but the electriction guys were like WOW.. what do you grow down there? most people won't let us near thier basements, so I took them down and even tho their eyes popped out at all the bulbs and surger bars, they sure did like the peppers , tomatoes and blooming hibiscus and fish pond LOL.. gee.. I was like, really? People in this town grow pot in the basement? REALLY?? I have never done that, and they asked me if the police ever stopped by at night when the lights were on, I said "no, they know me as the plant lady here.." so i let them pick their own peppers and off they went.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
3:45 AM

Post #9388887

Deb, let me know if you have any questions about the T-5's as I use them.

Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
3:52 AM

Post #9388893

First "REAL" leaf of two variegated AeAe pups out of 5.

I guess you can tell I am excited about my AeAe's. DUH HUH!

3-5'' snow forecast; with notta on the ground this AM. WHHHEEEEEHHHW.

That's the way it usually works though.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 6:55 AM

Thumbnail by homer1958

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 18, 2013
4:01 AM

Post #9388894

Beautiful Drew!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:10 AM

Post #9388899

Thank you Paula!

Spring one week, Winter the next around here. Forsythias bloomed last week. Normally a Mid Feb. occurrence.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9388915

A chilly 45 here this morning and it was 75 just yesterday. We saw our first yellow pollen on the cars this week - way early.

Debra, I am excited for you too, your indoor garden will really rally now.

Good growin on that AeAe Drew.

Salvia involcrulata loves winter.
Finally I can smell the scent of the Alba.
Was cutting back brush and I found this pretty camellia.
Ti.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9389010

HEy Deb, congratulations on your new lights. I haven't forgotten about your Monster, it has buds on it so I may root you a cutting or two. They'll be ready to rock and roll by spring!

We have a cold, windy morning today, too. Had to drag out the sweatshirt and long pants, and retrain myself to put on socks, arg.

Lovely flowers, Alice. My giant Alba greets me in the morning wafting that fragrance all the way down the pathway.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9389086

is Alba a begonia? and Don Miller hasn't grown much, should I put him in a bigger pot? No snow, No rain, next job will be having my HVAC guy make me a portable fitting for the washer drain to go outside...

T%'s will only be used in winter, have no clue what electric bill will be after these are in, can't wait to see.
lovwe your AEAE's too, Drew.
I went outside to check on stuff and saw the silly daffodils coming up, it gets down in the low 30's and 20's at night, but warms up to mid to high 50's in day.. *sigh* is it winter, fall or spring? None of us knows here..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9389132

Yup, Begonia Alba Odorata, a huge, sprawling one with plain green leaves the size of salad plates, and big umbels of white fragrant flowers.

Mine is in a huge hanging basket, and the canes get so long and heavy that they break off. I saw it growing in Gr. Cayman, supported by a hedge. I may have to try that. They really like the winters, here. Cool and moist just suits all the begonias, but that one goes through our summers very well, too. Lots of water and shade is key.

As far as re-potting Don Miller, if it's not growing, maybe try a different potting mix? I had a couple in some cheap potting soil that DH got somewhere . . . (no comment) and they just sat there looking at me until I changed the mix.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9389270

Thanks all, Kay, Elaine and Deb for the info on the brugs in the pots...that will be my best bet, at least this next year. BRRRR cold and windy today, I haven't seen any critters or insects in the garden today...and I don't blame them.

First I've seen a flower in a few seasons on my Ty plant.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9389913

Elaine, your granddaughter is the best bloom in your garden, what a sweet, sweet face... I know it has to pull at the heart strings when she has to be transplanted back to the west.

Wonderful pics everyone. Just beautiful.

Jan
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 19, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9390482

Here's what's blooming inside...

1- Nematanthus corticola
2 - Jewel orchid
3- Medinilla
4- Alocasia rugosa
5 -Espicias

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 19, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9390485

In the Greehouse...

Hoya Macqullivaryi - was loaded with blooms before I left town but didn't get a picture
2 - bouganvilla
3 - begonia with dainty blooms
4- Nematanthus tropicana
5 Nematanthus flumensis

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 19, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9390491

and some orchids

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9390505

Flower sensory overload!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9390511

All are beautiful, Paula. You could send that jewel Orchid to me!!!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 20, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9390940

LOL Drew...but we need it don't we...in all this 'bareness' around? Hate to say it but the tulip trees (japanese magnola) are blooming here...about 2 months too early and of course we are supposed to have a freeze tomorrow or Tuesday! Even the grass is starting to green up. Geez! But what can you do when its been in the 70 and 80s for 3 weeks.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9390953

Beautiful poseys and it is sonice to see at this chilly time of year.

Our tulip trees bloomed in early December - weird - and the pollen is already falling here, making a mess of cars and decks. Yuck.

This hibiscus is in a sheltered corner of the back deck, the colors are very pale but there are 6 flowers blooming at once today.

Last few flowers on the butterfly clero.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9390963

Alice, that's a beautiful Hib.!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9392232

Wow, amazingly early for the pollen woes! Even our oaks aren't quite in bloom yet, I guess we've had cooler evenings through the spell of warm weather.

Lovely plants, Paula. I love those Jewel Orchids too, but haven't got one yet. I'm still "learning" my other orchids.

Brug. Charles Grimaldi hardly ever blooms in January, but here it is full of flowers!
Two little Spathoglottis plicata changing color daily.
I went for a bunch of these 'Mona Lavender' plectranthus for some winter color and they are really taking off!
In the same bed, peachy Kalanchoe aren't doing so well. We'll see!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9392594

Lovely pictures everyone.

Alice I did a trade with another DG friend and received one of those butterfly looking flowered plants. Nice to see what the flowers will look like. Very pretty Hibiscus.

Wow Paula, lots to admire there. Nice to have a green house.

Elaine I've never had luck with Mona Lavender, don' know why, and I usually put it in a pot. I see you have them in the ground, maybe I should try that. I think they're so pretty.

I'm getting a flower on my poinsettia, a bit late for Christmas. I really need to cut the bleeding heart back, I can't even see the purple jasmine under it anymore. In fact the last photo is the first time in I don't know how long I've had this much flowering at once, usually when the azaleas are blooming everything else is brown from the freezes...just tickles me pink. ☺
Sherri

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9393165

Uhh, Sherri I kind of cheated with those Mona Lavender plants - they are still in pots, just sunk in the ground. That bed is in full shade on the north side of the house, but as the sun gets higher, it will be in full sun, so I wanted to be able to easily move the plants when it gets too sunny for them. I have my kids visiting and wanted to make the bed look nice, but can't stand to spend money on plants that will die off in a couple of months! I'll keep you posted how this works . . .

Yeah, we really can't complain about the weather this winter, so far no nights below 40, knocking on wood. Now, if we could just get one cold night while the oak trees are in bud to keep the flowers from making all that pollen!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2013
11:09 PM

Post #9393245

love all the beautiful plants and flowers everyone.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9393321

Good morning, everyone! It's supposed to get into the mid-30's tonight here in PC and down to freezing Sat. night.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9394476

Geez...weather man was wrong again. I watched and believed and once again a good five degrees lower than they said. 41 this morning when I arose.

Does anyone grow Brazilian Plume flower? I've tried to find the pink for a few years now, even sent mail to some DG friends for trade but never responded. They have orange at Lukas Gardens, couldn't find orange on Google, white and yellow but not orange. I have lots of yellow and oranges in the garden, would love some pink.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 23, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9394553

Hi Sunkissed,
I have the pink one...I assume you are talking about Justicia carnea? I was actually trying to root some cuttings. I still have a couple that the frost hasn't got, they are in the ground. Would you like to trade cuttings of either the white or yellow colors?

I attached the photo because they are planted beneath the brug, but not sure you can see them

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9394555

I have the red and also a small white one I got at Lowe's in the summer, Sherri.

It's a very nice plant, with one exception - it does not seem to like my high pH well water one bit. When I am irrigating often, it gets pale and chlorotic very easily. Once it rains or I augment with rainwater from the watering can, it goes back to dark green glossy leaves.

My red one is blooming right now, and does not like the cold weather one bit. Edges of the flowers get burnt even in the 40's. Although it's not that brisk out there now, I'm thinking we didn't go much below 50 last night. One more cold night to go, though. Pic of the white one was taken in Sept.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9394941

Paula may take you up on a trade, let me see if I can score local and if not I'll D- mail you about it. Thanks for the offer.

Elaine that is interesting about the water, I have a well to water the plants, most the plants like it, high in iron though. Love the white Justicia and you found that at Lowe's. But...not good if not liking the cold when we're not even as cold as we normally are. Are they in pots?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9395021

Yes, the red one is in a big pot, the white still in a 1gal. I think the cold sensitivity is just because it's blooming and it really shouldn't be at this time of year. The white one is doing fine, in a more protected spot, but more shade, so it's not trying to bloom.

I got the red one as a cutting from Rita in Texas (Where IS Rita, anybody heard??) and it has been through some cold weather with no severe damage, just this flower thing.

My mango tree is in full flower, so I sure hope the colder weather they predicted for the weekend doesn't get here. That would zap all its flowers, too! It does this every year, a flush of bloom in December to January, and another in March. Usually it only manages to set fruit in March, but this year we have teensy fruits showing on it already.

Here's Brug. Monster White getting ready to open - It's January, somebody please tell him?

But don't tell my tomato plants, ok? Momotaro tomato with "Sandwich for dinner" written all over it!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9395066

Yum, I'll bring the bread, what time are you serving?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9395204

Whenever you get here, Alice. DH left town this afternoon so I am at my desk with my feet up, eating tomato and cheese on toast.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9395544

good grief, save me some seeds just 5 or so, I am going to grow tomatoes in the basement.. LOL

cold warms up to 50 drops down to 19 and back up to 40 up down up down still no precipatation of any kind here..
been wondering about Rita as well.. i know life goes on and we wander away from time to time, i am sure she will be on soon to let us know she is still kicking out the tropicals like crazy.. ;)
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9395628

Debra, FYI: you still have an open invitation to come to Paradise! It's 45 this morning and will be 71 today, with no wind and lots of sun. Come on down!!!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9395637

Elaine, the sitting area window upstairs has Bananas growing next to it. I see your tomatoes have reached Critical Mass. Good for you is what I say. It looks like a quite delicious specimen.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9395687

Oh boy does that tomato ever look good. I have such a time with squirrels and my tomatoes, I think the Jays too.

My cherry tomatoes only three on the plant and still green, cooler temps seem to have halted more blossoms. But my pimento and jalapenos don't seem to mind the cooler weather and are busting out blossoms. Funny I have 3 peppers on each of them as well...good things come in threes.

44 here this morning, they say up to 73 next two days and only down in the 50's, my perfect weather temps. ☺

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9395779

KayJOnes, FYI I will be back... lookie here..

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9395906

BEAUTIFUL, Deb!!!! Mine are all in spike, but none bloomed out yet - they are all outside.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9395913

Hm, let's see Drew. One tomato plant in a deep pot, prop it up against the stem of the banana and make use of that sunny window, kiddo! I know you have grow-lights to augment the short days. I have seedlings of Early Girl already up . .. for the school garden.

Gorgeous nunnies, Deb. Mine are teasing me, but they'll be a week or so now if it stays warm. We got down below 50 last night so everything slows down when that happens.

Sherri, my toms stopped setting fruit when we had a couple of cold nights, and are just ripening off all the tomatoes that set before it got cold. Although the grape tomatoes are still setting, and bearing handfuls! They're backed up to a south-facing wall and stay very warm there. They'll start again when the nights are warmer.

No problems with the squirrels or raccoons going after the tomatoes, oddly. I do get the odd bird peck, but the bird feeders are close to the tomato plants, so I think that occupies the birdies. I also have a cat who is largely uninterested in hunting anything, but sits and watches with interest, so she is a good deterrent, I guess.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9396139

Elaine, what are the seedlings?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9396361

Four different kinds of tomatoes.

I'll only keep a few of the plants, but started a bunch for the school garden I've been working on.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9396814

I wish I could leave my stuff in the ground, they look so much happier when in their natural surroundings. Zone Envy
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
1:59 AM

Post #9396881

We all have it Deb. " ZONE SICKNESS" "ENVY" what ever we call it, we all have it!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
3:25 AM

Post #9396904

AMEN, Drew! If we didn't have zone envy disease, I wouldn't have a stuffed greenhouse and two stuffed temporary structures to house my tropicals over the winter!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9397028

37 here this morning but no frost thank goodness. This is the coldest we have reached this year but we still have to get through those first 2 weeks in February. Brrrrrr I put a few begonias on a cart and I roll them in and out of the garage depending on the weather and the ones in ground are covered with frost cloth on the cold nights. So far everything looks good. I covered a couple of ti's with those styrofoam pots and that seems to be working well, I just pop them over the plants on the coldest nights. I almost threw those pots away because they get to looking so ratty after a year or so but now I am glad I kept them.

We all do have zone envy and it is not only for the warmer zones. Sometimes I even wish I could grow plants that like cooler climates like peonies. True gardeners are never satisfied, there is always another challenge out there.

I just checked and we are supposed to be in the 80's next week. Good grief.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9397050

Alice, you are so right - I would love to grow the perennials I grew in Missouri: Peonies, Butterfly bush etal, but alas - they just melt away, never to be seen again. I miss Tulips, too. We can grow SOME Daffodils and Hyacinths, but for the most part, we can't grow 'required chill hours' bulbs.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9397142

So right about always finding another challenge, Alice. I swore I'd never grow orchids because you have to fuss over them so much. Here I am today with over 90 orchids and counting . . . a lovely bronze cymbidium followed me home from Trader Joe's yesterday. Most orchids are pretty easy to grow here, but cymbidiums like it cool and struggle to re-bloom after a hot summer. So I move them around to the coolest spots in the garden all summer - go figure! I've been packing my 'chids around and hiding them under the patio table on the cold nights this week, so zone envy or not, take it from me! We all mess with plants that are not easy for our zones.

I am lucky with the cold-hardy perennials. I planted a whole garden full of them at my daughter's in Salt Lake, and get to go visit them at least a couple of times a year. Tons of tulips, daffs, crocus, snowdrops, iris, peonies, coneflowers etc. Now she's talking about moving . . . oh boy! A whole new garden to mess with!

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9397269

Where are you packing all those Orchids Elaine? Wasn't it about a month ago that you did not have any? Serious Sickness! It's like the Flu. Watch out everybody, it's spreading like the Plague! The Center for Tropical Control will be at Our doors soon enough!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9397306

LOL, the CTC!

There is a species tulip called Lady Jane that returns faithfully for me, I have her in pots stuck here and there all over the yard. This is a pic from a previous year. The flowers close up at night and all that shows are the pink buds, during the day you see both colors.

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9397415

Oh, my - Alice, those are lovely!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9397476

There are a number of heat tolerant species tulips but this is the only one that has lasted over the years for me. They do multiply by bulblets but I have never had them re-seed as they do in some areas. Species tulips are smaller than the hybrids but they are sure nice to have in the warmer parts of the country. I have tried Lilac Wonder, Chrysantha and Cynthia but Lady Jane has been the winner for me.
http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=Tulips:Species

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9397690

awww those are pretty.. those orchids are infectious. watch out.
I think I like that Lady Jane tulip.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9397737

Yeah, I got the orchid fever, for sure. There's room in my yard for lots more. Some of them are pretty small . . .

I used to grow those Lady Jane tulips in my garden in Salt Lake. They are lovely.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9398136

Yea! I received a message from someone that has a pink Brazilian Plume flower. I'm a happy camper. They're just up the road too, so will be an easy trade off. ☺

Alice the tulips are so pretty, I've always love tulips.

Elaine I see new blossoms on the tomatoes again. I've never grown tomatillos before, they're covered with blossoms and a couple tomatillos. Your orchids are so pretty, I've been reading how the cooler nights even all the way to light frost are actually good for my D. nobile, which I found interesting, actually helps produce the most prolific blooming. I'll be showing you all some flowers real soon, I can tell they're pink now.

I'd love to go to Apopka to one of the orchid farms.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9398388

me too!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9398400

Deb, when you come down next time, we are taking an overnight trip to Plant City and around that area - to haul back some tropicals!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9398419

I would get sensory overload in Apopka, Plant City and Lake Placid. I spent several days in Homestead once, tons of growers there too, and I looked dazed for days afterwards.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9398462

sounds good to me KayJones..

Alice .. I get that way in the botanical gardens.. dazed for dayz.. ';D

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9398673

Ha, I don't even need to go that far, it happens to me when I go to Lowe's - two more orchids followed me home today off the death rack!

One's just a nice perky little Phal that came in the square glass vase, (why? ! ) but the other is a treasure, a Brassavola 'Yellow Bird' like the one I have already in the second pic. They are wonderful, easy bloomers and not fussy at all. Both $7.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
4:00 AM

Post #9398816

Okay, I'm going to Lowe's today. ☺

I worked in the garden all day yesterday, was so nice out. I have so many little seedlings coming up everywhere, some I have no idea what they are, but they're not weeds...will have to wait and see. There is lots new growth coming out on some leggy plants and I want so much to chop them back now...trying to wait...but is very hard. And looks like the next cold front not coming on down...so I'm doing a happy dance.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9399035

I can't believe you found those beautiful orchids on the death rack. Our lowe's waits until they are really dead before putting anything there.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 27, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9399359

Ours too...they are usually wilted and shriveled up or sun scorched. But the ones a hour from me always has good stuff..most of the time.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9399466

New for me today, my Passiflora Quadrangularis has flowers open! I think they look like sea creatures.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9399543

beautiful, Elaine.. I have tried and tried to grow those from seed to no avail.. today I planted up two water bottle planters of Sesbaunia seeds from Kay Jones, and three from Pride of Barados from Elaine. Can't wait to see who gets up first LOL
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
3:19 AM

Post #9399765

I think you're right!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9399770

Good morning, my gardening Friends!

Elaine, will you root me some cuttings of your Passiflora Quadrangularis, pretty please?

I had a huge one and it died suddenly - it was sitting where the sprinklers hit it every day - maybe it got over-watered - if I get another, I'll be more attentive to the amount of water it gets.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9399905

Sure thing. I already have one that I rooted last summer, but it is too big to send you. Will get a smaller one going and send it as soon as I'm sure it's rooted. They aren't known for being long-lived so your big one was most likely just finished its life cycle.

My huge P. Purple Possum that gives me so much fruit has died, too. My garden helper cleared it off the back fence yesterday and the trunk was completely rotten. This isn't unexpected because they grow so huge, so fast. My last one did the same thing. Grew huge, bore fruit for about 3 years then expired. I am planting another one this spring. Yay! An excuse to go out to Crowley's Nursery - it's a theme park for gardeners out there.

Deb, I have not had seeds from this one - it's never set fruit - but haven't had success with seeding the other types either. My P. Lady Margaret sends out suckers that pop up from time to time, and they transplant well. I've given away a few, and I know the one I gave my neighbor is going strong. I've rooted cuttings successfully, too.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9400826

well, try a small one for me, plz? Joe told me he is not going to put in a vegetable garden this year as we are not looing at a summer of rain, so he said I can do with that area what I want. It is all full sun, so thought the bananas would grow ok there, any ideas? KayJones, I sure hope you know how happy I am to see this scene this am.. it got up to over 70 tday, everything is waking up.. the rain passed us by again.. So far, I see no reason to carry all these things up the stairs and thru the house and out the back door.. hmm..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
3:10 AM

Post #9400941

Good morning! Deb, I'm happy that YOU'RE happy!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9401224

Sure, if I'm starting one, may as well start a few. May have to wait a month, though. I'm pretty sure the other one that rooted was started in the spring last year. After the bloom period when it starts to grow again is the time to start cuttings.

Deb, you do know that this vine needs to get huge before it sees fit to bloom? It will be twice around the ceiling of your basement before you'll see flowers . . . mine was 25ft. up into the bamboo before I saw its first flower . . 'way 'way up there. You're sure you want to try this?

We're into the third year for this plant of mine, but the first I've seen any number of flowers. Last year it had two.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9401230

Speaking of quads, my Clero. quadriloculare is getting ready to bloom.

Shooting Star Clerodendron, aptly named see how the buds "shoot" out from the cluster before they open? Well, they're shooting, but not yet stars . . .

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9401268

Oh, the one you sent me (I think that's what you sent) isn't big enough to bloom yet, but it will grow this year - I can't wait!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9401724

Yay, I'm glad it has survived. When it starts growing you'd better jump back! They grow big, fast!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9401817

I can't wait!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9402085

*sigh* my passions that I have are vining everywhere as usual, no blooms yet and this is year three.. course they were only a foot tall when I got them, and I climbed up a ladder to the top of Tropicman's roof to see his Passion vine Ruby Glow.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2013
1:44 AM

Post #9402184

Good morning, everyone - trash truck woke me up, so here I am!

Deb, are you still kicking? I haven't heard from you in FOREVER!

Your Passifloras WILL bloom - when they are ready!!!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9402324

Elaine I like that passi, very unusual. I read somewhere to not put fertilizer on passifloras, or you'll just get green and no flowers. I have the purple and red crimson, and lady Margaret. The red one the caterpillars don't like, so it is taking over everything right now...usually frozen back. Guess I'll be cutting it back this year...that is a first. I tried to keep it on a trellis, but it is sneaky and escaped into my crape myrtle tree. Right now it looks good since the tree is bare.

I went to Lowe's and the checked the clearance rack for orchids, they had a few but they were pretty bad off and they still were 10 bucks, so I passed. I must have missed the good ones.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9402392

Sherri, I think that's probably right. I give mine a shot of fert in the spring, let them grow lots of new leaves to replace the ones the caterpillers ate, then no more all year. Once they've eaten up all the fert, that's when the flowers start. Late spring.

This purple-flowered one is particularly cold-tender, so unless you have a BIG greenhouse, you probably don't want to try it. It only survives in my garden because it cowers under a huge stand of bamboo.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9403437

Tomatoes the same way. Only fertilize after first tomatoes appear.(if you did not know)
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9403452

Lowes WILL bargain - ask for the dept. manager, take him the plant and make him an offer. They also sell whole racks for $10-20. You just have to ASK THE department MANAGER. The workers have no power to make deals, but the manager wants to get RID of markdown plants and most are willing to work with you!

Recently, I looked on the Orchid rack at Lowe's and found declining tropical lady slipper Orchids ( Phragmipediums) - talked to the manager and got a couple for THREE DOLLARS each - they were marked $24.99!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 31, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9403538

It depends on the manager...we had one like yours, Kay and then they transferred him. I was always getting the green cart full for $10.00, orchids included. BUT then a different one came and he won't deal...says its already 50 % off. You must have got our good one...send him back!!

Hope everyone escaped the bad weather. We have 3 dead trees that were blown down, unfortunely one fell on our wood fence. UGH! The worst was that the wind ripped all my plastic off of my GH. BUT I have some guys coming today to start on a new GH house. They are going to build it...so we shall see. I HOPE it turns out good. I really wanted another polycarbonate one, but they are just too expensive. I just have to find somewhere to put the plants that was in that GH.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9403584

Better hurry, Paula. It's gonna get cold tonight. Sorry to hear you had wind damage.

Wow, Phrags for $3 is a huge bargain! You hardly ever see them even at the specialty growers.

I've been "mean" to nursery managers before and said "well you can give me a good deal on it now, or you can watch it die and throw it away later". They usually figure it out.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9403845

I wonder if it doesn't have to do with the district. Paula and I are probably in the same region and our managers would rather toss stuff than take a discount. Then there are the Bonnie plants, they actually buy the leftovers back, at a discount I am sure, no matter what the condition. No sense in working to keep them in good condition, the stores can't lose. The independent growers hate that.

Hasn't this wind been fierce Paula? Great clumps of Spanish Moss have been flying around, it looks so strange, sort of like something you would see in a cartoon. The temp is supposed to drop to 32 tomorrow night. Brrrr, but if this wind keeps up there will be no chance of frost. Sorry about your GH, have you checked the prices at Costco? A friend got a great one there.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 31, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9403934

Hey Alice,
The wind has been awful...very chilly today..had a jacket on most all day (been outside). I don't know where there is a Costco near me...I would assume probably Jacksonville or Valdosta, both at least an hour away.

Anyhoo, the boys did show up today with my lumber and they have started on the frame. Its going to be 16x 36 with 8 ft walls and probably 10 ft ceiling. NOW...IF it will turn out like I have it pictured in my mind, it will be great. Only time will tell...lol. He said they will probably be finished with it Tuesday (if nothing takes them away). Once they get it framed all the way, everything else should go good. MAYBE, now I can start to grow some things and sell them to fund my 'addiction'.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9403972

You go, Kay Jones!!!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9403979

Drew, I'm a regular pest/customer - in there at least every other day - it's about a mile and a half from my house and I'm personal friends with the 2 assistant managers - they treat me very well! It may have a tad to do with the fact that , about once a month, I bake cakes and make fudge to share with all of them.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9404043

LOL, so that's it. Bribery works!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9404224

she makes good goodies, this I know...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9404326

UMMM UMMM Ummmm!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 1, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9404536

I think Kay and I must be sisters...I don't know the manager, but the two regular worker know me by name also...at first I was the candy lady (we make candy and sell it)...then they learned my name and one of them even knows my phone number by heart, thanks to the 'my Lowes' thing. She called me one day to tell me they had marked down a lot of things on the clearance rack. Bad thing is...its about 24 miles from my house, so I can't just jump in the car and get there quick like I used to. Hadn't thought about the baking thing...hmm. but I do take them candy. Just being friendly...you know.

I'll try to get pictures today of the gh...my husband kinda got mad with me because I changed the design. It was going to be all plastic, but I decided to go with polycarbonate for the walls and put plastic on the roof. I thought it would be more permanent and last longer. He'll get over it...he doesn't do well with spending money if its not something he wants...but isn't that the way with most men?? Sorry Drew, I'm sure you're the exception since you like plants.

Off to get my babies up for school..
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
4:15 AM

Post #9404545

Paula, you more than pay your way, so let him fume.

It has been reported that a married woman is worth her weight in gold!

She's a wife, mother, nurse, financial advisor, chef, landscaper, domestic diva, psychologist, event planner, hair stylist, computer operator, chauffer, janitor, facilities manager, gofer (go for this-go for that), coach, spiritual adviser, pet care giver, tutor, teller of bedtime stories, judge and jury, doctor, lawyer - and you do all these things every day!

Add up all the salaries of these jobs and present the bill to your husband - then tell him to 'hush his mouf'!!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 1, 2013
4:32 AM

Post #9404560

Amen!! He's a good husband...pretty much gets me what I want, he just bought me a bright red Ford Raptor for Christmas. Some of you know how I like my red vehicles. That was a total surprise!! For those of you that don;t know, its kind of a suped-up truck. I have had the most fun lately...men see it and say.." Husband got him a new truck huh?" and I say, "Nope, he has one too, this one is mine". You should see the look on their face. Of course my daughter loves driving it, because all the guys stare at her. It has actually supplied a lot of laughs. But now that we live in the country, it has come in handy for all the plants, potting soil, hay, straw and horse feed I have to transport and pulling trailers.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9404583

LOL, Gotta love it!

I love red vehicles too (and candy.)
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9404588

Yep - red is the color for strong females! I have a red Ford Ranger pickup - LOVE IT!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 1, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9404660

Great minds think alike. Alice what kind of candy do you like? Ours is a family business started in 1921 by my husbands father. I think the story is on our website. Long story short. Grandfather Stewart started making peppermint and peanut brittle and sold it everyday around town. From there it grew to a large distribution business that carries everything in a convenience store (our customers) covering all of Georgia and most of Florida. Most of this in the last 10 years. They quit making the candy years ago when sugar really went high, but about 8 years ago, started making it again. Its soft peppermint and also 8 other flavors.

Here we are: http://www.stewartdist.com/joomla/
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9404758

What?!!!! I see you don't work there - are you NUTS?! I'd be the first to arrive there every day - I'd be the official candy taster!!!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9404777

Could all you tropicals-growing folks please take a look at this plant and see if you can i.d. it? If you know what it is, please post the i.d. on the thread. Thanks!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296414/
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 1, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9404869

LOL Kay...I have more than enough to do around my house, although sometimes I wish I had a paying job. Plus they have a rule ...no wives can work there. The three brothers and their dad run it. We have 252 empolyees, so I would rather not. Believe me, you get tired of candy.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9404954

I know that story, no wives can "officially" work there but there is more than enough to do for the business in the background.

I love soft peppermints. Many years ago we lived in Maryland and they had a tradition of selling these lemon sticks at their famous Baltimore Flowermarts each spring.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Baltimore+lemon+sticks&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8w4MUeCNIpGi8ASuq4CoAQ&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=675

You get very sticky hands but they are delish. You sort of suck the lemon juice through the peppermint stick. Yum, one would taste good right now maybe with a meyer lemon. Hmmmmmm
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 1, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9405414

Well here you go...first pic is of the portable GH that the wind ripped the plastic off and second is the beginnings of the new one.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9405655

Bless your heart! The new one won't blow apart, hopefully! You can't predict what our winds will do, though.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9405668

Paula it looks like it will be very sturdy! Please continue to post pictures of the assembly as your time allows.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9405670

How are they anchoring it?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 2, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9405671

Good Morning Kay...seems we are the only early birds. Heavy frost here...how about you? I didn't get to cover some of the things I wanted to. I hate this 'back and forth' weather. I am not a cold weather person.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 2, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9405673

All the post you see are in the ground about 2 ft or so. I was going to put polycarbonate on the sides and plastic on the roof, but now we've changed it and are going to put poly on the roof so it will be permanent and plastic on the sides so it can be removed during the summer.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9405851

We're too close to the ocean to get frost very often - none last night. I think the poly and being permanent and removable is a marvelous plan.

I just bought some Hydroton pellets - can anyone tell me how to use it for re-potting Orchids?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9406185

Hm, I've never seen one potted just with pellets. Most of mine are all in a mix that has chunky bark pieces, coarse Perlite, charcoal and pellets all mixed together. Because I am cheap, I chop up our wine corks and mix the pieces in with my orchid mix.

You might try posting this as a question on the Orchids forum and see what the experts say.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9406238

Elaine, I am the queen of cheap - if I can save a dime, I'll do it - thanks for that suggestion!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 4, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9408471

Oh Yay! (NOT REALLY!!) My husband just informed me that he doesn't think the 'guys' will be able to finish my GH. The one in 'charge' has fallen down on his duties and they almost fired him today...so...I guess I will be hiring someone. oh joy!! Oh well at least the biggest part is done. I was really hoping I would be able to plant some seed in the next few days. Now it will be a few weeks. arrgh!!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9410014

Had a lot to catch up on...today finally a morning not in the low 40's with frost. So far the garden seems fine, I did keep the makeshift green house up and keep the tomatoes, peppers and orchids in it.

Sorry to see the wind damage to the green house. Winds come in with those fronts pretty fierce at times. I agree on seeing the progress of the new one.

My live oaks decided to lose all the leaves and my neighbor giving me dirty looks, so I'm gonna have to get out and rake today. The problem with one is all sand underneath and I have to sift out the sand before putting in the trash or way too heavy. It can be quite an exhausting job. But thank goodness only this time of year to deal with it. DH's back hurts so I must take this one on by myself.

By the way, I have a RED Jeep. The only new car I've ever had in my life and probably the only new one I'll ever have. Love my Jeep. :)

My Aunt's orchid now has flowers. I need to download the pic's for you all. They are very pretty flowers.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9410166

Sherri, you are too good a neighbor. I never, ever rake up the leaves from my live oaks. My excuse is that they need the leaf cover on the ground to mulch (keep weeds down, moisture in the ground, and the soil cool in summer) and provide nutrients for the trees. Luckily I live on a corner, so my four massive oaks really only drop leaves on my property and the street. Leaf blower works great getting them off the street, and off my gravel pathways. They all go in the grass or in the flower beds.

Can't wait to see your orchid flowers - don't forget to post them over on the Orchids forum, too! I have two big pots of Nun's orchids still teasing and taking forever to open! Every one of my 'rescued' phals from Lowe's death rack has a flower spike coming along now, too! Even if they only survive one bloom cycle, they were all bargains!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9413160

Clero's think it is spring already! Blue one is a start I got from KayJones last fall - doing great! They start out pretty vivid blue/purple, and end up almost white.

The other is Shooting Star clerodendron, and the plants are at least 12ft tall now! As soon as they're done blooming, they're getting cut down to size!

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9413169

Lovely! I just noticed the shooting star Clero. you sent me is putting out green leaf nodes - YIPEE!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9413268

Also, I am getting ambitions to roust this nice EE - Colocasia 'Blue Hawaii' out of its pot and divide it up. It has pups jumping out of the pot with bulbs attached, and many, many stems as you can see. Anybody done this before?

I will have starts to give away or trade, so speak up if anyone wants a piece of this guy. It's not a huge type, largest leaf was a little over 2ft. long, whole plant got 4ft. high and wide last summer. Very pretty purple or burgundy stems and leaf veins, once the weather got cooler the colors really popped.

Drew . .. are you lurking?? Help!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9413290

I pot up all my babies, Elaine.. it is easy to do.

at sisters right now, anyone know what this is? I thought I gave her a datura, but this is not a datura I am familiar with..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9413301

Deb, it looks like Solanum wendlandii aka giant potato vine.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9413316

hhmmmm now how da heck that happened? LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9413319

it has datura shaped leaves and a Y'ng habbit, tho..
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9413421

Maybe it is an Ichroma.

Here's some information:

Purple Queen' Ichroma - An Athens Select plant which means that this beauty will tolerate high heat and humidity and bloom profusely all summer long. This striking plant has green velvety leaves and whorls of purple tubular flowers that hummingbirds love. Growing 24" tall, this drought tolerant plant will bloom across the country from early summer until frost.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 9, 2013

Post #9413492

Elaine,
I would love one...maybe we could trade. I still have your 'Elaine' begonia...whenever you are ready for it.

I am happy to report they are back to working on my GH. One guy came Friday and my son helped him and they got the rafters on and I went to Tifton to pick up the polycarbonate. He said if all went well they should be able to put it on Monday. Soooo, by the end of the week (fingers crossed) it should be done. I am so excited!

Picts. tomorrow
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9413525

Just in time for hot weather!!!
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9413565

Hi from Australia. I've just joined this thread, and really enjoyed looking at so many familiar plants.

Here's a few tropicals blooming in my garden at the moment.

Photo 1 - Mussaenda philippica 'Calcutta Sunset'
Photo 2 - Costus productus or Orange Spiral Ginger
Photo 3 - Hibiscus schizopetalus

Thumbnail by bernieh   Thumbnail by bernieh   Thumbnail by bernieh      

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9413581

Welcome, bernieh! Your flowers are lovely - I really must get that first one - it's stunning!

Edited to add that a google.com search shows it only available in Australia - drat!!!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2013 9:09 PM
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9413583

[quote="KayJones"]Welcome, bernieh! Your flowers are lovely - I really must get that first one - it's stunning![/quote]

Thanks Kay. I have a few Mussaendas growing here. They're such a hardy plant for the tropics. The new varieties have some wonderful colours. This 'Calcutta Sunset' always draws attention. I would recommend it highly.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9413586

I wish I could get this plant, but it doesn't appear to be available here in the states.
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9413617

[quote="KayJones"]I wish I could get this plant, but it doesn't appear to be available here in the states.[/quote]

That's a real shame, Kay.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9413639

Hi Bernie, you have some pretty things there! I've a few different Costus, but not one that color, it's great! Do those Mussaendas seed themselves or otherwise self-propagate? That may be the reason they're not being imported here. They could go nuts and become invasive like Kudzu did.

Paula, maybe in a couple more weeks when the weather settles down a bit, we can do a trade. I'm going to wrassle that EE apart tomorrow. I need the pot he's in. Would love to have the begonia, now that I have a little bit of garden space to fill up. I was really overwhelmed last fall, before we got the jungle under control.

Pic is from last fall, a nice variegated Costus I got as a cutting last spring from Rita. Hey, anybody heard from Rita?? (she's a gardener from Texas, Bernie)

Orchid is one that just opened this week.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9413684

Pretties! welcome bernie!

love the orchids as always, elaine.
sisters blooms..

Thumbnail by joeswife

bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9413709

Dyzzypyxxy, I've only just become interested in growing Costus in the last couple of years. So far I have only two, but they're both lovely things. I just can't believe how easy they are to strike.

Your variegated Costus is fabulous. Great colours in the foliage.

As for Mussaendas, no they don't self-seed of self-propagate, so they shouldn't really be considered at risk of becoming an environmental weed.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9413891

Elaine,

Take the whole mass of ' Blue Hawaii' out of the pot at the same time. Wash all the dirt off the roots vey tenderly. Separate the offset tubers with a clean sharp knife (or you can just "SNAP") them off the mother tuber. If the tubers are smaller than say an 1'' in diameter, I would leave those alone. Those may die, unless you repot immediately and wait until they have one full leaf on their own before you send them to people. You can wrap the bigger tubers to mail, in wet sphagnum or paper towels.

Hope this helps you!

Drew

P.S. Come on Spring!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 10, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9413962

Beautiful pictues! I can't wait to plant some seed...geez...I hope they get the GH finished this week. I think I am going to go ahead and plant some today. I'm going to rearrange the orginal GH to make some room for at least 4 or 5 flats. I am trying to win some plugs on ebay, but not going so good. I hate to be outbid, but you have to stop somewhere. lol

I haven't heard from Rita in forever!! I hope shes ok. Or Rachel for that matter.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9414257

Paula, that Medinilla you picked up for me last year has a huge bud! This is so exciting.

Have you ever ordered plugs or cuttings from NC Farms? They are located outside of Charlotte and I always mean to stop in there but I don't get to Charlotte often. http://www.ncfarmsinc.com/store/

At least the weather has been good, I can't believe it is mid Feb. and we have not had any frost yet. (knocking on wood here.)

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 10, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9414727

Yes Alice, I have several years ago. I got the unrooted cutting though, because you have to order a minimum of 4 trays at about $50. each, so I tried the cuttings. Had very good luck with most of them. I was looking at them, but from what I can tell, they are out of everything until in March. You pretty much have to order ahead with them, with the plugs. I'm considering trying the cuttings again, once I get my GH finished.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 10, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9414843

Thanks, Drew. Just what I needed to know.

Alice, can't wait to see your Medinilla in bloom. Paula, pictures of the new GH? Bet you're going to have wonderful flower beds this summer.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 11, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9414982

Elaine, that is the plan. I have grand visions, but it may actually take a couple of years to do all I want to do. But I did finally win some plugs yesterday. 80 geraniums, 45 turnera, and 260 (yikes) red lace pentas. One of my favorite plants. The butterflys love them. Now if I can keep them alive until I can get them all in pots.

Will post new pictures today of the GH.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9415176

I would never have thought of checking out eBay for plugs. Amazing!

KayJones, stay safe, that nasty weather is dangerously close to you.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9415460

Thanks, Alice - I wasn't aware of any danger - just rain.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9417556

Before I post this on the ID forum, does anyone recognize this one? The photo was taken by a friend who was visiting in Tampa in December.

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9417683

I'm thinking it's Albizia lebbeck.

Edited to add a link to the PF for this tree:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2051/

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 12:27 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9417815

And I am thinking you are correct! Thanks KayJones. My friend will be pleased to have the name (they always think I am so smart but in reality I just have smart friends.)
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9418023

Alice, just don't tell them! Some things are just better left un-said!!! LOL You don't have to tell EVERYTHING you know!!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 13, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9418297

Hello all,
It has been a long day. My son was pulling vines Sat. and they came loose suddenly and he lost his balance and twisted his ankle. We, and the doctor, thought it was just sprained. Well had xrays done Monday, went to orthopedic doctor Tues. and was told he has a spiral fracture. Popped his fibula into and the tibula was sitting crooked on his foot bone. Soooo, surgery was done today...he now has a plate right above his foot with 8 screws in it. But we are home. I am not looking forward to tomorrow...I think he is going to be in a lot of pain. They gave him a 'block' and it has deadened below the knee, so he hasn't had any pain. But they said when that wore off, be prepared. Its so hard seeing your children in pain. So say a prayer for us both. Off to bed...I have to get up twice to give him pain medicine.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9418545

A prayer going up for your son and all of you. How old is this son?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 14, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9418567

Hi Kay, thank you...he's just turned 20 two weeks ago.He did good through the night, so we'll see how he does today. I really hope the pain is not bad.

On a happier note, I received my plugs yesterday that I ordered off of ebay. I was surprised at how big they were...I wasn't expecting them to be a big as they are. The decription said TOTAL height 2-3 in...so I thought that meant the little plug of dirt too. The plants are 2-4 in. tall and look very healthy. May try to order some more, IF I can figure out what to do with 250 pentas. LOL
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9418600

250 plugs of ONE plant? OMgosh, I wouldn't have use for that many of the same plant. Maybe you could trade (locally) with someone.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9418637

With that super sized GH going up, I believe our Paula is going to go into the business. Wishing you lots of success with this venture.

My heart goes out to your son, you are right, it is always hard to see your kids hurt. Keep the meds handy, he'll need them (and tell him this is the only time you want to hear about him "using." ) :-)

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 14, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9418766

I may trade or sell some of them, but I mostly got those for myself. I have 4 acres that I can plant. A150 ft flower bed down the side of my drive. I'm going to plant those around my pool and in the flower bed and some at my house on the coast. I just hope I can get them potted up and be nurse too.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9418796

Paula, what a shame about your son's injury. Hope he recovers fast - he's young, good thing!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone - some day-appropriate blooms, passionflower - it's super fragrant which I found out only because it's right at nose level and I walked right by it!

And this little rescued Phal from Lowe's death rack is putting on a big show. It had one sad bud when I got it for $4. Little flowers, but lots of 'em!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9419473

evening all. poor Paula, I feel so bad for your son, and for you, I agree it is very hard to watch a child suffer..
I ordered 250 pentas and 250 impatians one year from ebay, and 120 geraniums and well I had a beautiul border all around the yard with them, it was great. I also ordered some black dahlias and some other things so that year I housed them in charlies rom until time to go outside.
This year I am doing my own plugs from seeds from all over the DG land, that peole have given me, tagged and all I am so proud I am tagging things for a change..
Love the Passi, Elaine and some day I will try a diffeffernt orchid, but right now I am still enjoying the huge flush of orchids that KayJOnes so lovingly sent home with me.
Sister and I had a lovely time in Branson, MO, and now she is in severe pain from the bone cancer in her hip, thigh and pelvic area, she is down right now, waiting for some shots of radiation to kill the cancer in that area, and then back to chemo for another fighting round, bless her heart.

Joe did a great job babysitting the gardens while I was gone, and I think he is very fond of the fish now, I keep having to tell him they have been fed.
A few shots of the Gardens this am, just to show you what laundry water, fish tank water and bath water can be used for here, in our draught stricken state.
this pot loves my epsom salt bath water. I jug it up instead of letting it go down the drain. The second pic shows who loves the fish tank water.Everything gets a little wind and a lot of light now, the night blooming jessimine is making the basement smell heavenly.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9419477

I have lost a few things, all of the brugs I got from eddie dewayne did not survive, lost my huge Maya brug, lost the princess flower from KayJOnes, and a few other things, but with all the seeds I have, I am sure I will be ok.

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9419565

Deb, I'm sorry to hear Sherry is feeling bad right now - I will keep praying for her. Your basement babies look great. I'm sure we can replace whatever you lost - just post a list. I will start another 'princess flower' aka Tibouchina cutting for you.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9419727

What a fabulous basement garden you've got there, Deb.

Way to go on re-using your gray water! I use my epsom salts bath water to water my plants, too - the brugs especially love that extra dose of magnesium.

I have all those brugs you sent me going strong. Cherub, Damien, Frosty, Insignia and Monster White. Plus I have several starts of Charles Grimaldi already potted and going. Once the weather is better, let me know what you want! Last year was a struggle for all the brugs, but they all survived.

Sending all our positive vibes to you and Sherry.

Elaine

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9419914

Wow Deb your basement is very impressive, and your conservation of water just awes me. Sorry about your sis.

Guess we're gonna have a pretty good cold snap again...stinks! Already brought all my seedlings in. Hope it blows through quickly...the garden loved all the rain and amazing how you can just walk through and see the plants already look better from an all day rain.

I would like to share my Aunt Phurby's orchid with you, now in full bloom. Thanks to all of you I knew what it was and how to care for it to bring it to this beautiful glory. My Dad, her brother came over just to see it and it brought tears to his eyes, he sure loved his sister and I know how much he misses her...I do too.
-Sherri

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 1:12 PM

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9420069

Deb you thought about giving your Monsteras something to climb on?

By the way... You got some awesome plants down in the "Dungeon". LOL!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 4:10 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9420141

Deb, I think this is your best year yet with your basement garden. Your plants are obviously loving your recycled water. I wish the plants in my house looked as healthy.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9420382

Oh I love those orchids, Sherri, how lucky you are!

I am grateful for all my plants giving me smniles when I need them most, it is like a gardening get together and I say " oh, I love each and every one of you sweeties, and especially the friends who gave you to me. " ... call me crazy, I pet them and spray the dust off them and all kinds of weirdness.
Alice, Don Miller is finally making some new branches. The tips of the Iris you sent me are peeking thru the leaves where I have been watering. I think they want more water.

I spent half the night last might looking for a plant , and then I remembered I gave her away to my sis in law, Dana. So, in order to replace it, I am starting another one from seed. I started the original from seed, so figure I can do it again.
Dear Kay Jones, I hope you will not be too busy tommorrow, as I will be calling you after I get off work.

I am VERY much missing Rachel and Rita both.

Drew, I am going to give them climbing poles, as soon as I can stand to go out and make some branch and burlap poles. too cold right now, and they seem to be doing okay just hanging out under the t-5's for now.

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
1:42 AM

Post #9420611

Good morning, everyone! All the flowers are beautiful - thanks for sharing them with us!

Deb, my love, I'm available to talk to you 24/7!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9420823

Hey Deb, just an observation from here - my begonias really go crazy growing when the weather is cool here. Mine grew all through spring last year, and sort of went into a holding pattern all summer. If you have a cooler corner in the basement, that might be the spot for the begonias.

The only one that kept growing through the heat was Odorata alba. I'm going to try growing my Don Millers outside one of the patio doors this summer. See if the little bit of extra coolth coming through the glass will keep them growing.

Cover up, everybody, it's getting cold the next few days! Snow in the Carolinas!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9420849

Went out and took some pics of what's blooming today - they may be gone tomorrow, depends how cold it gets.

Shooting star cleros are in full bloom. They are on the south side of the house, so hope they don't all get nipped!

Blazing orange snapdragon, orange-y rose 'Easy Does It', blue salvia 'Indigo Spires'

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9420877

Hipe everyones plants make it through the deep freeze that's coming!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9420880

I 'hipe' they do, too, Drew!!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9420938

I did not get my frost cloth out while it was still pretty this morning and now the wind is blowing hard, 35 mph hard! I'll likely go airborne if I try and get it out now. If the wind keeps up no frost will settle but it is supposed to die down in the early morning and that is when it is usually coldest.
I am glad I ran errands and got to the Farmers Market this morning, it is freezing out now.

The camellia flowers will likely get fried tonight but they sure are pretty today.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia      

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9420941

18 here tomorrow AM.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9420945

18? Yikes! I am going to to Saluda, NC on Wednesday, I'll be sure to bring the woolies.

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9421012

Alice, we are having 25 m.p.h. winds, whipping everything around and bringing down dead limbs. I'll watch for you to fly by and try to catch you!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9421021

I'm fastening my frost cloth down with bulldog clips, as a windbreak. Got a whole new box just for this eventuality.

Orchids are tucked away in the little greenhouse units, and I'll be out there filling the jugs with hot water tonight before bedtime. Can't complain, it's been an awfully nice winter up to now.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 16, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9421069

Freezing here too...and wind! Been in the GH all day, at least its warm in there. Here are a few pretties...

Anyone know what dendrobium this is??
#2 nun's orchid beginning to bloom...have 3 more pots of them
#3Mini phalenopsis
#4love the color on this phal
#5 this bloom isn't much bigger than a nickel - tried the macro zoom

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 16, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9421080

My macgillivrayi hoya is putting on a show once more. It has 8 other blooms on it.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9421115

Beautiful blooms, Elaine and Paula. Alice I am soooo jealous of your camelias. I do have a few roses in a vase College girl brought home from work to gaze at, they were 5 bucks a pop and now they are 50 cents. LOL
I feel bad for you guys not used this wind and cold, but hmmm, excuse me while I *choke* again on my zone envy. I just know your things will be JUST fine, l bet your freezing time is only for a couple hours, and ours is all day and night. and day and night LOL

Oh, I will be watching the skies for Alice flying around the vortex of a tornado, and for KayJOnes tent city to be falling about my pear tree.. :) ( imagination is a wonderful thing)
Drew, I didn't think it got that cold where you are at... wow. I am geographically challenged I think.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9421133

Quick 45 minute blast of snow!

Deb, 3-4 times a year down in the mid teens.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 4:49 PM

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9421137

Deb, you can root those roses!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9421197

You are right Deb, I am ashamed because I am so spoiled, if it does get cold here it is only for and hour or so early in the morning and I am always amazed by the weather conditions that most parts of our country have. Remember though, with warm weather comes 3" palmetto bugs and about a billion gazillion sand gnats. LOL

Beautiful orchids, I bought a tiny little phal the other day in Publix. It has just started flowering and there were 3 stems so it will be in bloom for a while. I'll bring it to my son's girlfriend this week so she can enjoy it.

The wind has died down and I got the frost cloth out without aerial incidents and the temp is even rising a few degrees, maybe we will be OK.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9421265

Here's our predicted weather for tonight/tomorrow moring:

12 am Feb 17
38F Clear
WIND: NW at 9 mph

1 am 37
Clear
WIND: NNW at 8 mph

2 am 36
Clear

3 am 35 Clear

4 am 33 Clear
WIND: NNW at 7 mph

5 am 32
Clear
WIND: NNW at 6 mph

6 am 32 Clear
WIND: NNW at 6 mph
Sunrise at 6:21 am

8 am 37
Sunny

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9421266

Paula, post that dendrobium pic over on the Orchids forum. February bloom thread. Awesome people over there will surely ID it for you.

Here's what a tropical garden looks like when frost and wind chill threaten our tender babies:

1 On the roller top right is my big frost cloth "tent" that covers this tiered stand with 5 Earth boxes on it. (please ignore the scraggly tomato plants, just waiting for the last of the fruits to ripen before I rip them out and replant the box). I've pulled all my small pots of brugs and begonias in under there, plus the challis vine, caladiums blue clero and a few other odds and ends. See Deb's brug Monster White blooming lower left!

2 Here it is with the "tent" unrolled, and clipped together with bulldog clips. Florida snow?? My flurry only took about 5 minutes.

3 This is my big Brug. Charles Grimaldi under his windbreak. He's at least 8ft. tall and has been blooming non-stop all winter. Think this may be the end of that for a while . . Also sheltering the Colocasia and Spathoglottis orchids. Near the pool stays warmer anyway, water's in the high 60's.

4 Darned if the Nun's Orchids didn't choose today to start opening

5 A blue Thunbergia popped open today, boy, is he in for a chilly surprise!

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9421270

Is your nun's Orchid just the brown-blooming one? I need a yellow one and a pure white one!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9421339

Yes, that plant is the regular Phaius tankervillea - brownish one with purple lips. I also have an all-purple one called 'Rabin's Raven' that has not bloomed yet, and a little plant of Phaius Microburst 'Wild Thing' that I think has some yellow but it just put up its first bloom spike so I haven't seen it in person yet.

The big plant that bloomed last year that I thought was 'Wild Thing' had cream petals and a dark red lip. Let me dig up that picture from last year - it's the single big flower on the left, and the regular Phaius are on the right. That one is out in the garden getting ready to open 4 stems of flowers, can't wait!!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9421374

I am IN LOVE with my nuns orchids they are still blooming, so now I want more ... Gee tanks!

it was so cold today and going to be in the 60's tommorrow go figger. I was out dumping laundry water around the yard today and saw the monardas, mint, beardstounge and poppys are all popping up already. sheese! the lilac cuttings I stuck in the ground up against the back of the house last fall are budding so that is good news.

Gee Alice, that is a nice thing to give your sons g/f. Are you hoping for a future daughter? ;D I would LOVE it if my son even dated.
KayJones u already read my mind, now I don't do well with inside cuttings, but I am always willing to give it a try, and I will. The wisteria cutting I took and stuck in a pot is leafed out and ready to go somewhere else. It is the purple kind.

I have two more cuttings leafed out and really nice sized off of the chalice vine from Rita. Had to trim one brach it was way out of wack.
I tried a begonia leaf on sand like Someone here showed me and I have roots LOL now if I just don't mess with it I might get a plant. I transplanted thre tomatoes and two peppers from the nursery seed starting are to their own pots, excited that so much is ready to transplant. My alba Mimosa someone sent me a seed of is thre inches tall. YAY!
Elaine, you tents remind me of when we were kids and we draped sheets all over the furniture to make our own secret "tents" Gee, those were the days.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 16, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9421417

Kay, look at this one. I had it, but for some reason it died. Made me sick! It was beautiful!

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9421429

Oh Paula that is beautiful. You have to get another one!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 17, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9421578

I would if I could find one. I just lucked up on that one. Bought it at a nursery for 10.00 because it had finished blooming. It was in a 3 gal pot. I didn't even know what color it was till it bloomed.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9421579

I had that white one, but it died. It's 33 degrees here this morning.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 17, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9421580

Good Morning Kay, We always seem to be up at the same time. Not sure what it is here, but if you are 33, we are probably about 27. YUCK!

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 17, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9421581

Weather channel says 30, but feels like 22, with wind of 9 mph. Brrrrrrr!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9421591

Elaine,

That compost tea?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9421707

Deb, the g/f is a saint and we do love her. They have been together for almost 5 years now and they're already on their second home, a gorgeous contemporary on several acres, but marriage does not seem to be on the horizon. Just doesn't seem to be their thing. This son will be 40 soon and she is not far behind so children are unlikely but they both love plants. Anyone who loves my son and plants has to be special. :-)

There is a skim of ice on our bird bath today although the thermometer says 36. Whatever - it is COLD here.

This is the tiny orchid, the flowers are only about an inch or so across.
I found these cute tiny red carrots at our farmer's market yesterday. The largest was only 1/2" in diameter.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia      

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9421770

Nah, wish it was! I put used coffee grounds in the water. Makes it absorb more heat from the sun. I need to "dose" the other jugs today! Come to think of it, I might have a little bit of compost to make some tea with . . . thanks, Drew! We don't collect grass clippings any more, so I rarely get much out of the compost heap that's useable. It just doesn't "work" properly unless I have grass in the mix.

Blazing sun here, but not yet warm even in the sun - still breezy. I am wearing long pants and socks!! =+(

Alice, those colorful carrots are fun! My daughter planted a packet of seeds of mixed colors and she got red, purple, yellow and white ones as well as the regular orange ones. We roasted them for Thanksgiving dinner, as I recall. Delicious!

On the tiny orchid, (lovely!) if it is in a pot with no air holes or drainage, I'd advise you get a little clay orchid pot (they are about $1.50 at Lowe's) and carefully transfer it into that. A pot with no air or drainage is a death sentence for a phal. Also if there is wet, packed sphagnum moss around the roots, at least loosen it and take some out so the air can get to the roots. Or you could drill holes in the pot it is in. It looks healthy, and it's a good sign that it has roots sticking out of the pot. But if the ones inside the pot get root rot, it's toast.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9421824

You may have seen these little ones at Publix for Valentines day. It is in one of those skinny pots, not more than 2" at the widest. I have already broken off saucer on the bottom, it was permanently stuck on. I do have some little clay orchid pots, maybe I'll transplant it before we head up that way on Wednesday.

Still only 44 and windy here.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9423255

You're welcome!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9423333

It's warmed up wonderfully here now. This warm air is headed north, too so everyone should be getting a taste of spring soon.

I planted out some new tomato transplants this morning, and made space against the front fence for one of my dark red Allamandas. After one really cold wintery night, it feels like Spring!

Brazilian Red Cloak seems to have weathered the cold just fine!

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 18, 2013

Post #9423561

Same here...it was 26 here this morning...so much frost it looked like it had snowed. Then went out about 10 and it felt really nice and the rest of the day had on a short sleeve. Tonight is only supposed to be 40.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9423592

We lucked out here, the coleus, which I consider the canaries in the coal mine, are all fine. A somewhat tender red banana, Musa sum x cross looks unhappy, it seemed to lose a lot of color in its leaves. All the camellia flowers are fine, no brown edges this time. Whew.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9423775

see? I told ya! ;D

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9441190

Moved to correct thread.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 9:24 PM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9441192

deleted and moved to correct thread.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 9:25 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9441307

Lilypon, Please see thread #129. Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America