Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: grafted tomatoes

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cheviothunter
Wellborn, FL

January 1, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9372527

Two seasons ago I had great luck with grafted JapaneseTrifele Black tomatoes - last season was a killer here weatherwise and plantwise but I can't find the same plants for the upcoming season. Can someone recommend another best grafted one - Territorial has them but not grafted.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9373917

I have never heard of a grafted tomatoe. It sounds good. Maybe I'll graft some of mine. Do they do better then the ungrafted ones?
Jim41
Delhi, LA

January 6, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9377728

All of the seed catalogs I received this year are full of ads for grafted tomatoes. I'd never heard of them before.
hoodat
San Diego, CA

January 8, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9379184

It's very easy to graft tomatos any time they are actively growing. Approach or bottle grafting works best on fleshy stems like these. The link below gives a good explanation of approach grafting.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/propagation/approachgraft/approach.html
The difference between approach and bottle grafting is that in approach grafting both plants are on their own roots. Bottle grafting is the same procedure except that the shoot is in a container of water rather than on its own roots. In the case of tomatos it's more a sales gimmick than practical. It's simpler to just plant the variety you want and let it grow on its own. An exception may be where you have a soil borne disease or pest like nematodes and you want a rootstock that is resistant to them.
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9392552

This practice started with greenhouse growers raising heirloom varieties on more robust tomato root stock to increase productiveness (and profits). Johnny's Select Seeds sells the grafting clips (in various sizes) that we've used. Each part of the plant is still affected by whatever disease it normally would be or that your soil may be harboring. I don't have enough experience to swear it's worth the time, effort and care it takes to get the grafted plant up to speed for garden production. In my case I have to start seeds of both the root stock and scion cultivars, match the stem sizes, perform the graft, monitor and protect until the graft takes, then grow out to transplant size. I just haven't taken the time or space to conduct a side by side trial. Your county extension agent should be able to suggest cultivars that might work in your area.

Check YouTube for various methods of tomato grafting or see Johnny's Select Seed pdf:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/assets/information/tomatografting.pdf

addicted2plants
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9400765

I am SO glad somebody ELSE brought up grafting tomatoes this year! I've brought it up for two years, trying to get a group of people to try it and also do a control group in thier garden. Last year I bought root stock seed and clamps but a sick child goofed up my timing. I may try this year if I get plants started early enough...
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2013
12:14 AM

Post #9400909

I was going to buy four plants from TT and the clips ans seed for the root stock. After talking to a market gardener I cancelled my plants and forgot the notion of grafting my own. He said I will never grow those again.He said maybe they will grow better in the mid West or South where there is real heat and high tunnels. He grows in greenhouses but we run out of growing time here long before those in big heat country. Our growing season is very short. Because of this we can't get the extra production. So unless your trying for disease resistance better to just stick to regular plants.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9401411

It reminds me of fruit trees, grapes and roses. The main difference being that these grow for years but tomatoes, even tho they are technically short lived perennials, are grown as annuals. It seems like a lot of cost and work. I wonder if the yield is that much better?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America