Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Florida Gardening: Florida Chit Chat #7 New Year for Fun!

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 207, Views: 1,895
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9372569

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!
We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280849/#top
Please stop by often and keep us informed with what's going on in your garden.
Right now many of us are watching the Florida Eagle Watch http://www.ustream.tv/SouthwestFloridaEagleCam
There are two eggs in the nest as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgyaDEk_ZyQ
I am returning to S Florida this week.
I miss seeing all of my beautiful water loving birds.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9372579

Hi.

Thank you for the new thread. Happy New Year to all of you. Sydney, it will be nice to know you're again. Safe trip.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9372608

Glad to see you are still kickin', Sylvain.

Happy New Year to all.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9372632

I noticed when I got back from the mall the chat on the owl cam was not coming up. If you want to see what everyone is saying about the 'goings on', just make up a username and password and it will let you see the chat. I dont know why it all the sudden stopped. I guess someone wasnt playing nice. PEOPLE...cant even watch an couple of eagles hatch without an issue. I love that it also has sound.

Happy New year back to all the Florida folks. Great weather day to live in FL.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9372734

Sydney thanks for the new thread

Happy New year everyone

I am busy learning more about photography and photo editing

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107   Thumbnail by wren107         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9372948

Its out, the first eaglete is all the way out.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9372972

HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
BONNIE
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9373262

Hi, all! Hope everyone has a great, plant-filled new year!

Norma
mistressgardenr
Jacksonville, FL

January 3, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9374211

Happy New Year all!! Wishing a wonderful early spring any growing season this year with plenty of rain but not too much!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9374233

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9JPiQCmA1Y

Happy New Year to you all as well. Hope it is a happy and healthy New Year for all. Some peace and kindness in the world wouldnt hurt either.

Im afraid on still on this darn eagle. This link shows the eaglete with Mom today. Not sure if the second egg will make it, seems it should be out. Two would be amazing.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9374418

Hi Floridans I'm still here ! Anyway look what I found had NO idea they found a weeping sport . Hope you all are well and had a great Christmas and New Year!
Johnny

Thumbnail by LoveBrug

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9374652

Good to see you are still here, johnny!!! Where did you find the mandivilla?

Found my Angel Trumpet blooming this AM. This is my idea of Winter!!!!
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9374687

Qwilter wrote:Good to see you are still here, johnny!!! Where did you find the mandivilla?

Found my Angel Trumpet blooming this AM. This is my idea of Winter!!!!

Hi Quilter Believe it or not this is a Camellia picked it up at Pat's ( you know where that is ) ! Anyway I've sprouted tons of named hybrid Brugs this Winter and if you'd like to try to grow your very own will share . If we get them in the ground late March we can have our own unique blooms by late summer .

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9374894

I about fainted when I saw that camellia vine yesterday. I looked up where to get them and could not find anything. I went back and looked at it and though " maybe its just, but no, a camellia that is spindaly. Its one of the october blooming camellias and I would go crazy to have it in a vine.

Jean, I am so excited about the angel trumpets. Mine is in full bloom on the patio, this has never happened this time of year. Smells wonderful around it as well. The ones out in the yard got nipped.

I dot know where Pats is, but I need to find out!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9374899

Just went to check, looks like the second "eagle has landed". Ive seen one in a nest before but never two. I was worried that egg would not hatch.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013

Post #9374901

Johnny - Never would have thought that was a Camellia. Both my trees are blooming - intense red flowers.
I'd gladly help you find a good home for those Brugs. I've kept the 2 I have alive for a couple years now and the 1 was still blooming last month. I'm starting to clear an area for the garden in the back yard. Hope to get it tilled & a load of top soil added in early Feb. I want to be ready for planting come Spring.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9374904

Jean, that looks to be a sasanqua camellia. Ive only ever seen them in that pink color and the are different than the 'regular' camellias. These start blooming in October.

I could be wrong about that, could just be a double pink. Johnny, which is it.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9374911

Ozzie and Harriet are about to be on Fox and Friends
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9374922

I just watched the eagles on FOX.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9374934

Yep, I caught it as well.

Seeing that new life has given me some hope/peace. Ive got to take my 16 year old cat..(.gray and white that looks JUST like yours Jean), to the vet at 9. Its problably his last visit, or should be. Ive not been able to make that ultimate decission yet. Its something anyone with a pet has faced before and will again, its hard tho...really hard. Ive yet to have a pet that just passed on its own. Well, not a dog or cat. I feel so guilty being upset over animals, when so many children/people are suffering. I can adjust the mind, but the 'gut', not so much.

OK...back to the eagles and camellias and hoping for a sunny day in g'ville.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9375024

Yes, Gardenglory, the passing of a pet never fails to affect us greatly. Bereavement is a devastating process. And yes, there are a lot of sick, or dying people suffering everywhere. But, as you know it, our pets occupy a much closer place in our hearts than all the misery in the world. That's why it's so hard to make the ultimate decision to end it when things become unmanageable. We kept a mix-breed Lhassa Hapso for 16 1/2 years; she was a golden dog. Finally, one morning, we could tell that Nounou wasn't feeling so well. WeI left in a hurry for the vet's office and I returned alone. The kidney had failed and the only humane thing to do was to end it quickly. I made the decision alone, held her in my arms as the two injections were administered. She fell asleep in my arms and with the second injection,she quickly passed away in my arms. That was over 15 years ago, and tears are still welling in my eyes as I write the story now. I did the right thing in a timely manner and her precious memory is still fresh in our hearts.

We now own a snake; a delightful 3 1/2 years old ball python that has been raised like a baby ever since she was but a wee hatchling. We rescued her from a sordid pet shop not far from here where, she was being mistreated. She was kept in an air conditionned area, without benefit of a heat lamp. She was kept without a hiding place, no water in sight, plenty of poo in her living space and on a bed of sand (a big no-no with most snakes). She was cold, dehydrated, hungry, thirsty, affraid, showed the remains of a bad shed and had never been held, warmed or loved. That baby was slithering in the shadow of the Valley Of Death, I tell you. We rescued her just before she got to Death's door. Of course now, she has taken that special place in our hearts reserved for our beloved pet. Living with us, she's fed, warm, hydrated, socialized, handled every day and all grown. She brings such joy to our lives. While I spent a whole month in the hospital, I was imagining ways to smuggle the snake into my private room, so I could hold her and tell her the story of how she was when we found her at the pet shop. But then,a hospital is not a healthy place, so I stopped hoping to smuggle in her somehow. It would have been selfish of me to expose the snake to that unhealthy environment.

No matter what species you adopt as a pet, mamal, bird, fish or reptile, they occupy a priviledged place in our lives. It is therefore our responsibilty to ensure that they lack for nothing and when the time comes, we must take those heart-wrenching decisions. We do it to honor them and the great years of pleasure they brought us.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I gotta get myself some snake lovin'.

Sylvain.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9375051

Cinnamon (14 y/o orange beastie) went to the Vet yesterday for a re-check. Discovered he has arthritis in his back hip. Prob why he has been more lethargic than usual. Poor guy endured 8 shots of kitty cortisone and came thru like a trooper. And the same homeopathics I take for arthritis are fine for him, in a lower dose. Now to get him back up & moving about.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9375083

Glorious news!

Sylvain.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9375110

Well, I hardly believe it, but Im home with boo-boo. I know Ive only bought him a little longer, but the vet said as long as he is eating, were going to keep trying. We go back next Friday, hopefully Ive got most of the emotion out and we will do and see what happens.

Thanks Sylvain for the story of you dog. I had to have the oxie that had taken me thru heart surgery put to sleep almost two years ago. Yes, the tears still come. I was in the same room today as all that took place, first time I had been back in that room. A box of kleenx was needed, but probably a good thing I faced it.

Jean...do you have two cats, boo-boo- is gray and white and I thought you had posted a picture of a gray and white cat.

How long do snakes live. Im guessing some of those monsters they are now hunting in the everglades are pretty old.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9375167

3 cats here. Shaleigh is the black tuxcedo (female -just turned 3 in Nov - the Princess). Then there is also Pumpkin (12 y/o female - the Queen). Cinn & Pumpkin sleep all curled up & it looks like I have a 2 headed cat.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9375352

Lucy is a ball python. At 42 inches, she is fully grown. They live for 30 years in nature and slightly less in captivity. It's not a monster, just a baby that loves to cuddle up and enjoy our warmth.

Had I known, I would have gotten one a long time ago.

Sylvain.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9375607

gardenglory wrote:Jean, that looks to be a sasanqua camellia. Ive only ever seen them in that pink color and the are different than the 'regular' camellias. These start blooming in October.

I could be wrong about that, could just be a double pink. Johnny, which is it.

It's a sasanqua named "Marge Miller " from what I read about it it's the 1st (weeping) sport and came from Australia . Can be used in hanging baskets or a ground cover or trained as a standard like this one. Wish it was grafted to a good stock so the continued training would be a bit easier .
Pat's is here on Fleming Island and one of the only places I've found that do Monrovia plants. They also sell certain things that you just cant buy at Lowe's or HD !
Quilter It's a deal ! I have room for about 30 brugs to grow out from seed and way to many sprouted for me this year . Wait till you see how fast and fun plus BIG seed grown is .
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9375611

gardenglory wrote:I about fainted when I saw that camellia vine yesterday. I looked up where to get them and could not find anything. I went back and looked at it and though " maybe its just, but no, a camellia that is spindaly. Its one of the october blooming camellias and I would go crazy to have it in a vine.

Jean, I am so excited about the angel trumpets. Mine is in full bloom on the patio, this has never happened this time of year. Smells wonderful around it as well. The ones out in the yard got nipped.

I dot know where Pats is, but I need to find out!!!!

Glory when I plant it I'll need to take alot of it off to train it to keep it's standard form . Will do some rootings and if they take will let you know.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
3:44 AM

Post #9375933

I made out great at Pat's Fall sale. Got some very nice size plants for $1 each. I'd been holding off buying plants till I had the back garden ready but could not pass up those prices. So they are in temporary spots and all doing well.

I was given starting of Dutchman's Pipe this summer. Had no idea of what/how it bloomed. Saw what i thought were some brown leaves on it the other day & when I got closer realized they were tiny "pipes". He is not in a good location so I'll need to find a better home for him come Spring.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9376065

Been trying to find the sasanqua camelia MargeMiller. Only place I found it so far is on Monrovia Plants site wich means I'd have to find a retailer. Says its new here from Aust. and is a ground cover but could be trained otherwise. Johnny I hope your cuttings are successful. Would happily buy one from you.
Good luck with yours its beautiful.
Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9376073

Yea, I really have to have one of those. If I could find a place to buy them Id have more. I would gladly drive to Jax. or Orlando, Tampa.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 5, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9376093

My dutchman's pipe is on the east side of the house on a fence. no afternoon sun and I need a machete to whack on it. You can keep it back on then it gets higher on the fence. No hot sun seems to work best--this was the third location and it is truly thriving.
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 5, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9376199

I didn't know where else to post this so I opted for the Florida forum. What do you guys say to Camellias in my zone. I'm in 10B and as far as I've read they don't do well here. I myself have one that's been with me for a couple of months. I am keeping it in a pot and most likely bringing it inside once the weather gets hotter. I purchased the soil acidifier to meet pH requirements and I keep it in shade like it's supposed to be. Here is my concern. I went to HD today and they were selling an older couple 6 gorgeous double red bloomed shrubs. I wanted one myself. They were told that they would take full sun and gave them Ixora fertilizer ( The guy said that it was better when they make one specific for Camellias with a better nutrient distribution). I tried to be of help and told them a bit about their requirements and showed them the appropriate fertilizer and acidifier and I they just disregarded me. The lady said that if they died she would simply bring it back with the receipt. That bothered me because they are not willing to take advice just because I didn't have an orage apron on and listened to people that have no clues whatsoever about the plant requirements which would eventually cause the plant to die.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9376209

I would say its a no-go. Im guessing maybe taking them in in the summer would keep the bush alive, the real problem is the cold. You dont have what they need down there. Who knows, maybe someone has bred one for the south, but Id be very leary. My biggest ones get sun most of the day, altho none the full afternoon sun. They like the sun more than you would think.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9376223

Roly0217
Camellias prefer filtered light and sorta acid soil. I lived in south FL for years and we can grow so many things that Camellias never were a thought for me. Most soil in south FL is very hard (alk ) and shade or filtered light can be rare.
You can grow them but dang I'd rather grow 10b plants outside ANYTIME !

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9376495

from my reading. camellias will grow in zone 10 and most if you take special care of them will grown in some sun.
http://www.camelliashop.com/pages/Climate-Zones.html
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9376553

I have 2 camelias that have been outside for 2 years and one I just planted yesterday. I am in zone 9A central Fl. not far from Orlando. The one I just planted is loaded with buds I'm hoping it flowers. Other 2 older ones have not bloomed yet but are living. I have 2 in partial shade/sun and new one is in full sun. I am experimenting and if I see any damage from sun I will move again. I live by the old addage "right plant-right place". Sometimes this requires a few moves I have learned. I also live by 3 moves and your out. After 3 moves it either lives or gets pulled out and junked.

Roly, our HD garden people here don't even water their plants. When they die they just go back to nursery. Don't feel bad that you got a ridiculous answer as I have learned most personnel working in garden centers of the big box stores are not gardners. Once at HD a whole truckload came in and all the plants were labeled wrong and I was sure and told mgr. He just smiled and had workers from nursery put them on shelves. Thats not fair to folks who buy them but thats life.
Bonnie
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 5, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9376780

There is a bit more hope. I've got a friend who grows Hydrangeas down here. I will stay hopeful and do my best to keep the Camellia happy.
LoveBrug I love my tropicals and the variety but I'm a zone pusher... Have always been. I've got daylilies growing and blooming for a couple of years now and the clumps getting bigger. I've tried irises with no luck however...:( Paperwhite are growing and think that they are starting to bud already. Planted those last year and the Easter lilies are showing up already !!! Very excited for the garden.
wren107; Thank you for the linkl
Bonnie it is sad seeing all of this happening and it really bothered me that they give false information without even knowing what they are selling. This old couple bought the plants because the guy told them that anything in the full sun beds would grow and bloom in full sun here. We'll see in a couple of months who'll be laughing.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 6, 2013
2:46 AM

Post #9376878

I just cut back my camellias and azaleas here on Marco Island--Southwest Florida, just a bit north of Miami on the other coast. They get NO sun at any time of the year and bloom like mad every year. I give them the acid Miracle Gro, coffee grounds and neglect.They are in a very miserable soil, if you can call it that!--really sand is a better term!They are under a coconut palm on the north side of the house. I was plant shopping for our other house in Ocala this past week and they had camellias out in the full sun at the nursery and they looked GREAT! My daylilies also look great here--have stuck with the cheapo ones from Sams or the violently expensive ones from White Flower Farm.

I have been known to tell people in Lowes--"Don't buy (fill in the blank) --it won't grow here here!" and they actually listen!!!!

We have a bit of a hill and we have constantly adapted and moved plants for the past 5 years. We are beginning to figure the lot out and are finally managing to get some things right. My giant coral stone rocks got put in place by some of the yard men yesterday-- can't wait to get the rest of that filled in and start with the bromeliads and such on the rocks. Two of the rocks just sort of stayed right where they were dropped!

Happy Sunday!
Debi
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9376904

Johnny - I stopped at Pat's on the way back from a walk yesterday & admired the Camellia you purchased. They do have some beauties in there.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9376963

Roly0217 remind me in a few months and I will dig up and send you a Heritage daff 'Grand Primo'. I would like to know if they will grown down there, have had these bulbs for over 50 years. I have seen them as far south as Gainesville
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73055/
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 6, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9376984

Debijaynes that is great to know !!! Definitely more hopeful now and I also want to try Azaleas. I just haven't seen those at either HD or Lowes. I love the flowers on the Azaleas as well.
wren107 I will definitely remind you around March or so. All of my paperwhites belong to the same group as the 'Grand Primo' They are in the Tazetta group so if mines are growing and starting to bud I would think that once the Grand Primo acclimates it would do just as well. I've got Ziva, Inbal and Chinese Sacred Lily. I think that's what I planted. I've got them in a mixed bed with Amaryllises so that the paperwhites bloom and then the Amaryllises follow. That was the sequence last year.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9377025

mine are daffs are already starting to bloom
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9377074

Thats exciting to hear about the azealas and camellias in Miami. What kind of azealas are they? A plain old formosa...the ones that get big, set their blooms in september and boom in March. If we wee to cut them back now, there would be no bloom. It must be a different kind down south.
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 6, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9377101

gardenglory I don't grow any of the Azaleas but Debijaynes that's in the same zone as my does grow them. Debi if you could tell us which cultivars do you have so that I can start looking for it I would really appreciate it.
Thank you !!!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 6, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9377149

No Idea what they are--Big white single flowers-- I call it the old fashioned kind. Blooms in December-January. Camellias bloom the same time. They are double and single pink--again, the "dooryard variety". They are very old bushes and were here when we purchased the house five years ago.. The house was built in '77!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9378405

Huzzah! Hurray! O, frabjous day! My cancer treatments are finished and were apparently successful in eliminating the cancerous mass. All of your assistance, encouragement, prayers, meditations, and healing thoughts, cards and letters, and huge box of dark chocolate over the past few months are greatly appreciated. Of all the sighs of relief I have released in my life, this huge exhalation is the most exuberant. Please take a moment to join me in rejoicing! Thanks!

Debijaynes -- I am thrilled to hear that Camellias can grow and flower in south Florida! I was expecting that they would need to be placed in cold storage near 32 F for a month or two (like a large restaurant refrigerator). I propagated my 'Pink Perfection' by air layering (my first attempt at air layering and it was thrilling to cut off a limb and actually find roots in the sphagnum moss!). I have some to share, but some are intended for BocaGinger who admired my large 'Pink Perfection' tree when she came up for a visit and informed me that it was her botanist/horticulturist grandfather that had created the cultivar. I hope she can have success with the camellia in Boca Raton.

Jeremy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9378430

Great news Jeremy,
My prayers for you have been answered. I'm sure you are VERY relieved.
Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9378441

Oh Jeremy, that is such fantastic news. I am so happy to hear that. Your a trooper, thats for sure!!
amygirl
Miami, FL

January 8, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9378835

WONDERFUL news Jeremy!!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9379003

Jeremy, you have been in my prayers since the beginning of this last cancer scare. I am truly rejoicing with you. You know what? I'll keep you in my prayers because cancer is insidious. Keep well, my friend.

Sylvain.
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 8, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9379566

Awesome news Jeremy !!! You've won a great battle. Many great things for you to come !!! And a year full of new gardening adventures with great health.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9380234

Happy Birthday Wren. :-) Wishing you lots of good plants to photograph.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9380259

Sandy, a very happy birthday to you. Hope you post some of your photographs soon. Hope its a great year for you as well.

pam
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9380274

Thanks, all, for your communal rejoicing! I'm still trying to get all my innards to settle down and having a lot of trouble getting to sleep at night (went through 2 nights of cold turkey withdrawal from morphine patches/percocet that could have been filmed as a documentary for drug withdrawal -- involuntary thrusts in arm and legs, body contortions, couldn't lay still, pacing the floor, moaning, groaning, yelling, beating the walls and doors with my fists, etc.). Those symptoms have mostly subsided, but I think my body is still craving the morphine/percocet to knock me out at night as it did for the past several months. I look forward to returning to something similar to "normal."

I walk out into my yard to a somewhat razed and totally unfamiliar landscape after the city Code Enforcement folks came through in the midst of the months of my cancer treatments with police escort, court orders and work crews to "abate" my violations for "untended weeds and overgrowth" and "trash." As far as my garden plants, all they did was prune about 1 ft off the top of the Japanese Yew (Podocarpus) hedges along the front border by the curb, but massacring some Hardy Passion Vine (P. caerulea) and some old garden roses in the process. One of the roses is my 'Veilchenblau' blue rose that I grew as a cutting from a rose bush my Mom had and that I grew up with -- much sentimental value. I don't think they totally destroyed it, but certainly was not the pruning I would have done. They also cut the azaleas back about 1 ft by the front porch and some more Yew hedges extending out as a natural barrier to separate two sections of the garden. They also did "Crepe Murder" (hat-rack pruning) to a few Crepe Myrtles but left others that were immediately adjacent untouched. Along with running a weed eater over my established garden paths and up into some of the planting beds (without too much damage). And that's it for the alleged violation of "untended growth of weeds, overgrowth, underbrush, etc.). The "trash" that was hauled away included all my building materials (new lumber raised high off the ground on metal supports, about $100 worth of new pvc pipe, new concrete blocks, etc.) and the things I had laboriously salvaged to from Craig's List ads and others sources to recycle, such as concrete Spanish roofing tiles (stacked neatly), bricks (also stacked), marble pieces, and various brass and other metal bed posts to use for garden gates, etc. It has really shaken my belief in all that I held dear as an American. I never imagined that the government could find an excuse through (mis)interpretation of city codes to show up with no warning at private residential property and start hacking at landscaping and carting off personal property. Now that I have the stamina to fight this battle, I will look for an attorney to help me sue the city, but it is such an odd, uncommon area of law that I'm not sure which attorneys to contact. The enforcement was so haphazard and inconsistent that I am still baffled by what interpretation of the code was being used. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out, especially since I claimed exemption from enforcement as per the "Florida-Friendly Landscape Law" that went into effect in Gov. Crist's administration and that apparently has never been tested for legitimacy in court. In any case, I have lost much of my sense of privacy in my home and garden and am concerned the gestapo may return at any time to do yet more damage. A very weird place to be!!

Jeremy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9380280

Happy Birthday, dear friend and neighbor, Sandy! And best wishes for many more spins around the sun with dervish energy and delightful flowers and greenery!

I have taken your suggestion about using shallow planting (just a few inches deep) for spring flowering bulbs, and got results from this one Paperwhite (Narcissus tazeta). In my very sandy soil, bulbs tend to eternally sink lower into the ground. I have several dozen Paperwhite bulbs I need to dig up and move back to near the soil surface. The same thing happens with Amaryllis bulbs -- within a season or two the bulb sinks below soil level. The last time I planted Amaryllis, I placed a wire rack beneath the bulbs to try to keep them from taking the elevator down to Hell. The wire rack has helped somewhat, but I still need to pull back the soil a few times a year to keep the Amaryllis at the appropriate depth.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9380459

Thanks everyone.
Monday I went up to Waycross, Ga to the Park, right outside of it they have a Camellia garden, not to many flowers blooming there right now but here are a few pictures. I need to edit the rest of them.

I am going to go over to Tallahassee to the State Garden so hoping there are a lot of blooms over there.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9380563

Happy Birthday Sandy. Here's wishing you a great and well year.
Jeremy I am so tickled to hear you are healed. You had us scared for sure. I figured the damage to your plants would be heal-able. I am hoping for the strength and stamina to prune my own myrtles this year.
I have returned to Heaven down here at Okee. My Hard drive got fried on Saturday and when I did a reboot I lost 4 years of pictures, Key West and several other Keys. Then New Mexico, the Taos Pueblo, Santa Fe and the mountains and Canyons. I can go back there for sure. I also lost Seattle, the NW Coast and the Chahuly Exhibit next door to the Space Needle...Also across and down the Street from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Many great memories...zapped.
My most wonderful neighbors who watered my plants have returned. All full of hugs and amazement I am even here.
That being said I'm not sure I've told all of you how much I appreciate all of your cards and prayers after my fall last year. You were priceless. Jeremy took the bus over to Brooks rehab a couple of Saturdays to go shopping for me. Mostly comfort things like a fan. AC was too cold, a fan just right.
And so many other things.
I seldom get good long Internet access.
As far as I'm concerned you folks are priceless.
Sidney
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9380789

I wasnt able to trim my myrtles last year. I was out first thing this morning , gave it my best shot. My arms and hands are shaking and hurting, so I stopped.I got more than half way thru, so after a little rest, I will be able to finish. It will make me feel so much better to have that done. Im so backed up I didnt know where to start, but I thought I best get them done before it gets any warmer or more humid, because then im out of the game for sure. Still enjoying the osmanthus, nothing like a little aroma therapy to keep one going.
So sorry to hear your pictures were lost, thank goodness tho its just them, and your memory is not 'zapped' along with them.
I didnt know of your fall last year, but sure am glad your getting better.

Pam

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9380942

Sidney Thank you. When you get you computer fixed or a new one get Carbonite, it is always backing up new stuff. If change a picture it backs it up. I do not have to worry about my pictures.

Sandy
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9381011

Great news on the status of your health Jeremy! Whew! A close call that eh? It sounds as if your garden was not damaged beyond repair so that's a good thing too.

Sidney, how wonderful to hear you are recovered enough to get back to Okeechobee. The warmth & sunshine will surely help to revive you further. Sorry about the computer.

Happy Birthday Sandy!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9381038

Thank you

Sandy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9381222

Hi.

On the subject of losing pictures: what a shame. Norton Antivirus often insists that I back-up my files onto DVDs. I always give in and the system writes 3 or 4 DVDs. I keep those in a safe place in case I need them. Should a catastrophe happen, I'll lose whatever I created since the last back-up. I figure it's better to encur some loss than lose everything. What is written on there is beyond me because I have never had to use them to recover from a disaster.

Advantage: it's free, save for the cost of the DVDs, which I buy 100 at a time at Costco. Carbonite is not free, but it is purported as being extremely reliable. The less bills I get, the better I feel.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9381243

Sylvain I have thousands of pictures and more and more of them are in raw and it would take a lot of DVD's and as I am slowly editing the pictures as I learn more about editing-I would spend half my time down loading pictures to DVD's Carbonite does it as soon as I finish editing the pictures.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9381366

The eagles are really awesome. Sorry I'm so behind. Hope everybody is doing well this new years.

Sandy I have a new camera and have been studying like I'm in school again on how to use it...so any tips are very welcome.

I know I'm not part of the regulars but hope everyone is enjoying this nice weather...and with some rain too. My garden is lovely...I see some cold weather in the way future forecast...lets hope they're wrong.

So much of what I'm photographing is frozen to the ground by now.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9381457

What pretty pictures!!!

Probably going to have cold weather. I had to call the Air conditioner man today. Thats a sure sign cold weather will come ;-)

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9381492

Lovely pictures.
If and when I get the photo study group going over on another web site I will let everyone know. Our first study will be about exposure, the hold up is I have not been able to get the pictures I want.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9381501

Pictures are beautiful. Keep them coming as I'm sure everyone enjoys them.
Happy gardening all in 2013.
Bonnie
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 10, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9381520

Jeremy I'm going to be blunt here and say that what has happened to you just really sucks !!! Excuse my language. I am irritated and it didn't happen to me. I so would sue the city and everyone involved and demand my materials and taken property back !!!
amygirl
Miami, FL

January 12, 2013
3:36 AM

Post #9382527

Here is a link to an article I wrote that is in the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/12/3177782/we-can-help-rebuild-our-ecosystems.html

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 12, 2013

Post #9382617

Get Carbonite for $55 a year!
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 12, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9382654

Great article Amy !!! I try to plant mostly natives for the butterflies and the one hummingbird that comes every year. I am seeing an increase on wild birds passing by too.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9382697

That was a very nice article, thanks for posting. I too try to plant for the 'winged' ones.

I just heard, as I was typing, something on TV about a story coming up, about a couple in FL who are being made to dig up all their plants in the front yard or pay a big fine.. Needless to say, Im gunna sit right here and see whats that about.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9383037

Is that the couple with the vegie garden in their front yard? The neighbor who is complaining needs to get a life. I carried a bucket full of manure to my neighbor with my Kubota cause they wanted to plant a garden.
If you live on a house lot and thats the only place you have to plant so what. Pics I saw on tv garden looked neat as a pin.
Government control often goes too far. If it looked like the city dump thats different as it devaluates others property but what they did wasn't dumpy looking. Thank God I live on 15 acres and zoned ag. I don't think we are allowed to keep pigs but thats about it. We used to raise 3 a year and butcher on New Years up north. We were further in country up there so no problems. We have cows and no neighbors have objected yet and now we have 2 subdivisions no far away. We were here first so cows will stay as long as we are able to care for them.
OK down off soapbox.
Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9383080

Yep, that is the one. In Orlando. Seems the home owner doesnt have a leg to stand on as the regulations are not on their side. Its too bad. Like someone on the newscast said, all you can do is get the law changed. I didnt think it looked bad. Not sure how that lowered property values. If you want a manicured lawn, buy in a place that there is a HOA. Problem with no HOA, is there is always a jerk who lets all of his cars rust in the front yard or something. Common sense would cure it all. Thats why the city has to make the regualtions in the first place. DumbA's.

Another beautiful day to be in FL. Low humidity and no mosquitos, cant ask for much more.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9383198

We have had some March freezes in Florida. ( BIG TIME )
This weather is odd even for Florida .
I hate a winter like this as all our spring time bloomers thinks it's time and bud and when the FREEZE comes well ?
The only thing I like about this mild North FL winter is my greenhouse heating bill !

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9383375

I've got stuff budding out which I'm afraid a freeze will zap. Oh well thats life. Weather is just one of the uncontrollable aspects. Keeps us on our toes at taking care of our plants.
My koi are happy cause they can keep eating with water temps staying up. I stop feeding completely when water goes below 50 degrees. Their digestive systems shut down.
New week tomorrow so all enjoy.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9383390

Morning everyone
Went to Tallahassee Friday and it was to warm and Skeeters nearly toted me off.
But I ended up with 280+ pictures, and a car load of plants.
2 of which where camellias pictured below, do not know yet where I will plant them but I love these

Sandy

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013

Post #9383474

Hope those skeeters stay in Tally. It was a pleasure working without them.

Beautiful flowers

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9383547

Hey all I was in Lowe's and they have reduced their landscape blankets down from $30 something to $20. something, if anyone is interested. I guess all this warm weather they just aren't selling. I've never bought any because they're always pretty high priced and I just grab my box of old sheets, towels and those plastic holiday tablecloths you can't wash in the machine anymore with out them falling apart. My garden will look like a patchwork quilt by the time I put them all over the plants. I might get a roll, my nursery guy says they're really great for covering the plants.

Amy great article, I've got quite a few natives in the garden, they do attract the birds and wildlife. I'd love to let my whole front lawn go to natives, but bet I'd be in the same trouble the homeowners in Orlando are in. However I'm still sneaking it in, little by little.

Sandy I'd love to participate in your photo study group if it is online, can't drive up to Jax all the time, but I sure could use some kind of study group when it comes to learning about photography and how to use this new SLR camera. I'm sure used to my point - and - think - for - me - camera. ☺ This one really is a whole new ball game...but I'm making some great progress. My Dummies book and You-tube have been a great source of information.

Some wildlife in my garden, woodpecker that is here everyday, think it lives here, my friendly squirrel, "Peanut", and our family of wrens at my bird-feeder.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013 11:16 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed      

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9383906

It is on line. I will dmail you, right now we have photo contest going on and just talking.
It might be a couple of weeks before we launch to photo study group.
Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9384114

Sunkissed and Sandy,
Love your pics. Flowers are just beautiful and birds are cute. I have to fill my tray feeder every day with oiled sunflower seeds and safflower seeds. My cardinal couple and doves love them.

Good luck with your photo class.

Sandy,
how is everyones health up your way?? I'm thinking its about time for a spring RU in March. Later on it gets pretty hot.
Let me know please if you are in contact with Brandy and Linda etc.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2013
3:19 AM

Post #9384213

Bonnie Yes I am in contact with them. I need to start some seeds LOL

Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9384393

Sandy,
I don't care if you bring a twig you find along the road. Your all such a happy and welcomed crowd. Look forward to your thoughts and their responces. Thanks for your help.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9385002

Bonnie I have a ton of seeds but just need someone to use a cattle prod to get me moving.

Sandy
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9385435

I will be there if you have it after March. Needless to say I need plants.
Sidney
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9385602

I posted this on the plant ID forum but thought I'd see if anyone here has a clue.
Walked past this yesterday AM. I've never seen anything like it & it was the only one.

Oddest 'shroom I've ever seen.

Any ideas????

Thumbnail by Qwilter

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9385759

poison

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9385818

I would say your mushroom is amanita muscaria, poisonous and psychoactive stuff. But it's pretty, in an odd kind of way. What can I tell you? I have had a life-long attraction to medicinal and/or poisonous plants.

Back in Montreal, when the ladies from my old horticultural society came to visit my garden, with its complement of toxic, medicinal, invasive, large-sized plants, they renamed it Alice in Wonderland on acid. I even had a plaque made for the garden's gate with that name on it. The rules were simple: touch nothing, snip nothing, taste nothing and get yourself some tea and cookies on the deck. I have been gone for 6 years and they still talk about it. An English cottage garden, this wasn't.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9385832

Amanita muscaria, commonly known as the fly agaric very pretty but very poison

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9385835

Sylvain crossed posted with you

Sandy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9385841

Sandy, you can cross-post with me any time you want. No problem at all. I don't bite and my wife claims I'm quite comfy. LOL.

Sylvain.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9385888

I thought it was pretty. Thanks for the info.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9385892

I think it is totally cool looking. I love it. Wish I had found it. You can almost look at that tho and know not to eat it.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9386125

I would have love to have found it also--I love to take pictures of mushrooms and flowers and sunsets and------and----and-----!!! You get the message. LOL

sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9386130

Info on the 'schoom: http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Amanita_muscaria.html

Now i need to go back & see if it has "opened".
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9386615

Fascinating. Quilter you really have an oddity there. I have found some now and then throughout my garden but I never pick them to eat. Nothing that looked like that. Glad you posted that info link.
Bonnie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9386849

Bonnie I hope you do have a RU. I thought about having one here, but not a lot of room, but could still pull it off if needed to. My DH's 60th birthday is the beginning of March and we have some big plans the first week, but after that I could make it.

Sandy thanks for the invite to the photo study group. I'm having so much fun photographing everything in site, now that I finally have figured out how to manually use this camera...but a long way to go.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9386948

OOOH, RU talk. Me likey!

I'll crank up Google Earth and look up Clermont, FLK. I'm sorry to admit I have no idea where Clermont is, but I would love to participate, circumstances permitting. I could get some cuttings going so they're ready in time. I certainly have enough stuff from which to harvest cuttings. That would be fun, if it happens.

Take care, all. I'm off to check out Google Earth. Clermont... please don't be a suburb of Thallahassee!
Sylvain.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9387224

sunkissed you are welcome. Think I will be starting the new study group in Feb. Plus we will have a new photo contest. Need to talk to the others to get a subject.

Sandy

Ps hope y'all like this one. My hairy friend get into trouble at the kennel last week. He opened 3 gates and get into the area where the food was kept and took and ate someones dog biscuits

Thumbnail by wren107

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9388019

Awww, Sandy love the pup. Looks like some German Shepherd in him. We had a shepherd for 13 years, she was the best dog I've ever owned. I sure miss her around here. Been gone now 3 years.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9388049

LOLOL That is so funny about Andre. I laugh when you call him the demon child, I know you love him to death, What a perfect poster.
One thing is for sure, pets can sure steal our hearts and they are never ever ever forgotten.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9388285

Was 75 here at 1000. Now, at 3PM, it is 58 and so windy.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9388746

Andre is an angel. Sandy is just kidding. Sounds like he outsmarted the kennel owners. LOL

Sylvain Clermont is 23 miles west of Orlando right on hiway 50. I am 5 miles south of 50. Very easy to find.
Don't think you can call us a suburb but there are 2 housing developments just up the hill from me. As long as they don't bother our cows we get along fine. And we have 3 layers of fence to keep them from bothering anyone else.

I sure was proud of Sandy last year she drove right to us. There are other cows on our road but no pure black angus so I tell everyone to look for the black cows. Plus my business sign is still up out front even tho business is about obsolete.

I'm 4 hrs. south of Talla. so don't head there.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9389042

Bonnie I did have some problems getting there. I will use a different map or that darn GPS

sunkissed Andre is a pure breed Belgian Tervuren, he is my 3rd one. And he is a trip. Way to smart for both of ours good.

Sandy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9389247

Hi, all.

It was only 54F when I got up at 7:30 this morning. I had to get out in the middle of the night because the wind was shaking the wind chimes enough that the neighbors could have called the police for noise nuisance. I silenced it in such a hurry, I forgot to put some clothes on before I got out of the house. Not that anybody would see anything, but I still should have covered up. Gail was appaled that I went out sans clothes.

I did check out where Clermont is. Yeah, I figured as much: kinda west of Orlando. Florida turnpike to Orlando and then veer West and in the GPS we trust. It's 212 miles from here, as far as Google Earth's directions are concerned. I could leave very early in the morning and drive to Clermont for the day. Then, the excitement of the day would set in: meet new friends, exchange plants, see the cows, etc. So I'd turn in to a nice place and spend the night there before returning home the next day. No way am I doing 7+hours driving in one day. So, if a roundup should happen, I'd love to be there. There was a roundup last year somewhere, but I was prevented from going. I can't quite remember if it was work, or sickness that hindered my project. I'm getting old, I guess.

Although I have never met André, and as far as I could tell, he strikes me as a gifted dog that must be oodles of fun to have around, as long as you have a good sense of humour. I am convinced he's a delightful animal that sorely tries your patience once in a while. Who could resist a face like that?

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9389404

Sylvain,
If you would like to see some pics from last RU I had here go to RU pictures forum. It was Oct. 22, 2011. I prayed for 3 weeks prior for good weather and it couldn't been better. I'm not so peppy in heat so I wanted it when it would be pleasantly cool and it was perfect.

I will check a map and learn where you are as I don't think its necessary to drive to Orlando to get here. I wouldn't drive 7 hrs. both ways in one day either. I'd be asleep at the wheel.

We had so many plants it was unreal. I got what everyone left and I'll bet I set out 50 plants. And food we had a ton of and it was all delicious. Plant people are just wonderful friends to make. If I remember correctly I think you were ill. Hope you stay well now.

Sandy you got here thats what counts. My kids all have GPS and they still get lost so I don't feel so bad. I use mapquest and a good old reg. map to get where I'm going. So far always have made it to where I was planning on going. If I get lost I find a realtors office and they usually have good maps of the area and beyond.

Since you were here last time I and my son and grand sons dug another pond and have more koi. My restful place and I sure love my fish.
I'm hoping this time Cherri (sunkissed) can make it.

Sandy check around up there and see if toward end of March would be a good time for most. Let's speculate and say March 30. Just give me an idea of when would be good.

Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9389536

I'd like to come down and swap some plants. Hear there is a very nice new quilt shop in Orlando so a double reason to head down.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9389722

March is out for me, I have to have my knee replaced and that looks like the best time for it.
Sylvain Andre is fun to live with most of the time but he can be a pain also. If you have every been around a 2 year old you will understand what it is like.I tell everyone that living with a Terv is like living with a hyper active, overly intelligent mischievous 2 year old and they never grow out of it. And Andre is my third one so I must be crazy!!!!!
Sandy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9390013

Hey Bonnie I can make it, if after the 8th of March.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 19, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9390035

Hi, y'all.

I'm using my new Android tablet to send this. And it works! WooHoo! Only drawback is I am a fast typist. Entering words letter by letter is a tad tedious. I have big fingers, so I'm using a stylus to tap the on-screen keyboard. I'll get used to it, I guess.

I have no time constraints about a roundup. I'd just like a bit of advance notice, so I can root some cuttings. I know r/u are a lot of trouble for the host gardener, so... whenever it's convenient for you and the most people can show up.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9390235

Sylvain, have you ever been to Bok Tower when youve been in that part of the state. Sorry, that was off the subject.

Back in the dark ages, I used to love the citrus tower coming into sight when going down the turnpike, it seemed so big back then. Of course, that is when Clermont was a synonym for citrus groves.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9390456

Citrus Tower is still there but unfortunately groves aren't. Never have taken the elevator to the top and I've lived here 43 years. Don't like heights. All you would see now is roof tops. Developments filled up the dead grove land.
I sure miss all the citrus trees.

Sandy do you feel April would be better for you??? I know the PT that goes along with knee replacement takes time. Let me know what you think as I would really miss you.

Bonnie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9390474

Seems to be a plethora of knee replacements these day. 08/28/12 DH had his right knee replaced (72 years old)..
12/17/12 our daughter had both knees replaced (49 years old). PT is super, super important. If it hurts, just grin and bare it. No other choice. DH was walking WITHOUT A WALKER in less than 2 weeks. Praying for uncomplicated surgery and recovery.

Wren, I think we are friends on FB. Have a difficult time sorting out who is who.

Christi
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9390514

Hi, beautiful Christi - I hope you are well - I think of you and all your love EVERY day!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9390536

Bonnie I do not know as I have to wait until I finish my dental work-been to long and I really want to finish it up soon. Plus I have not seen the surgeon yet

Christi I am Sandra Coffman, not on there much but I do post a picture every morning and my pictures is of Andre my dog
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9391009

Of course, our "Good Morning" lady. Good luck with the knee. DH literally sailed through it. Daughter having 2 done at once...not so fast.

Kay, we are going to have to plan to meet somewhere. I just know we would be BFF.

Christi
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9391355

You are welcome ANY TIME to come and stay with me - I'd love to host your visit!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9391479

It's on my bucket list.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9391507

Thanks, I am hoping to wait until I finish getting my partial bridges finish. I go on The 18th of next month for another attempt to fit the frame works. If these do not fit I am going to scream. I know the main problem is the shape of my mouth and jaw but this is getting old. We have been trying to get this done for over 2 years and something always goes wrong, either the fit is wrong or one of my teeth goes bad and we have to start over..
The students graduate in May so if it is not done my then I have to train another student-- lost count but it is some where between 8 and 10.
If the fit it will be roughly 2 weeks after that and I will have a full set of teeth once more.
Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9392022

Good night Sandy you have really had a time of it. I'll pray for a good fit. Please let me know results of the 18th visit. Who knows you might be fine by March 30th. Also, let me know what surgeon says about your knee. Around here knee replacement is common. Glad mine are still working. I trip and fall in the garden (usually over hoses) often but haven't broken a hip yet. I've had parts taken out but nothing put in yet. LOL

Got a ton of broadleaf fern to plant today. Friend wanted them taken out so I dug them all up and now to replant them here.
Weather has been really great. My brugs have been blooming like crazy. Also camelia plant. Fish seem healthy for now so I'm glad.
Take care and get well. I really want you at a RU.
Bonnie
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9392864

http://pinterest.com/mccullop/mushrooms/

After Jean posted the mushroom above, I was taking a look at different shrooms. Saw this and thought it had some pretty interesting pictures. I never knew they were such a colorful bunch of fungus.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9393001

I am going to the specialist Wed. Should know something soon can not stand the pain anymore.

Sandy
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9393990

Oh dear, Sandy. It has been 4 weeks on Thursday that our daughter had double knee replacement and she is doing great. DH had just one Aug. 28 and you would never know it. He is sooooo much better. Will be praying for you.

Christi

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9394155

Thanks

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9394472

gardenglory the shrooms are very pretty, fun looking at them. I've seen some when hiking in the Blue Ridge mountains.

So I once again paid attention to the channel 13 weather and they said only down to 46, but this morning it was 41 for a couple hours...when will I learn. Hopefully everything okay. :(

Anyone ever grow a coffee plant? Lukas gardens has coffea arabica...just wondering? I've never seen it in a garden center before.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 8:51 AM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9394488

Sunkissed, you will find the coffee plant inside, with the houseplants, at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot. I have one growing in a pot, but it's not very big - just got it a month ago from Winn Dixie.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9394496

Weather station said we were down to 32. I didnt bring anything in last night tho, and all seems well. On thing for sure, Im glad Im not in SD.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9394925

HI everyone, a update, the doctor wants to clean the inside of my knee for now. He hopes this works as he is worried about the fact that I have had MRSA a number of times and it is every where and if I catch it again that could be very very bad. I go to have the scope done to the knee Tuesday.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9394932

O gosh, that would be a blessing if it works. Im guessing you wish it was tomorrow, and get it over with, but at least you wont have to go much longer, especially waiting till March. Is there a 'recovery' time, or do you just go back to walking as normal?

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9394971

Thanks Kay, I'll have to look around in the houseplant sections to see if I find one.

Sandy hope you can skirt by without surgery, that would be great if that works for you. Although I'm an avid walker and if I couldn't walk due to pain, I'd have surgery if it meant getting back to walking again. I used to be a runner many moons and sizes ago, but Doc said quit or I'd need knee surgery. So I just walk now, very fast.☺

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9394994

I will be walking the next day maybe. I had repairs done on this knee 5 years ago and I was up quickly.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9395328

Sandy,
will pray every day that procedure will work for you. keep us informed. I CARE and I'm sure other do as well.

Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9395649

Thanks everyone
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9397161

Sandy I join with Bonnie in prayer you will come thru this with little pain and no MRSA.
Keep us posted.
Sidney

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9397281

Thank you will do
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9397889

Made my way up to Trad's Garden Center yesterday. What nice folks they are. Willing to tell you about the plants. Came home with some lettuce and seeds for lemon Zucchini - they sound interesting & thought they might be worth a try. So will be trying my hand at starting seeds.
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2013
11:00 PM

Post #9398767

I haven't read through all of the posts here, but just caught a comment about MRSA. I've had this. I got rid of it. I had a naturopathic Dr tell me what to take. It is the simplest thing, you'd never believe that people die from MRSA with how common the remedy is. Take garlic! That cures MRSA! I take a non-aged garlic supplement available at my local health food store. The aged garlic did not work for me. The one I take is garlinase brand. I took two or three a day and the results are very fast. The pain from the sores goes away quickly and they heal up while taking garlic. Just thought I'd share. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Erin

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9398828

Erin did the doctor do a test to see if you have the germs hiding in your noise? Most people have it hiding there or in their arm pits or the where the sun does not shine if you know what I mean.
Most people may never have a outbreak but they can be carriers. My doctor found it in my noise, has not checked the other places yet. My mother is a carrier.

Sandy
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9399048

No, they didn't check. I had one of my sores cultured and it was indeed MRSA. From what I've been told everyone has it now. The reason we get it is because our body is in a weakened state from something else. So, if you are prone to it like I am you can just take a maintenance dose of garlic daily. Outbreak free for years now thanks to garlinase. The Dr also said you can use a swab up your nose with certain essential oils to kill it there. We use a blend of lavender and carrier oil. Wet your swab first so it doesn't soak up the oil. I know there were some other oils, one being cinnamon, but lavender was the best choice for scent and comfort in my opinion. I can only imagine the burn from a cinnamon blend.

Erin

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9399419

no thank you on the lavender I can not stand the smell!!!
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9399459

Well, for me lavender is more preferable than MRSA. There were other oils, I just have to go back and look up what they were.

Erin

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9400591

I am allergic to many senses, and that includes the natural ones. My poor mom throat will close shut if we are not careful.

I am going to sign off, hope to talk to y'all in a day or two.

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9401785

Sandy...how did it go. Hope your out walking tomorrow!

It got a little warm working the garden today. I was so hopeful for some rain so I did some transplanting, checked the weather and NO rain on the way. Ill do the best I can with the hose. Im sure not doing anything outside tomorrow, says 84, thats to warm for me, except watering or spraying, something like that. Ill wait until the low 70's next week. Its so pretty out right now tho with the blooming scrubs. The air just full of citrus blossoms and osmanthus, I just cant get enough. I did dig up a four oclock 'bulb' as big as a basketball, I dont know what the heck to do with it. Im tired of all the babies where it was.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9401797

I am home, leg feels good, no pain yet. I am not to walk much for at least 3 days and with a walker. They went in and cleaned up the mess in my knee. Will have to go over the report.

Sandy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9403012

Looked at the pictures of what they did to my knee and it was a mess in there!!! I think I messed it up when I fell and broke my noise my hurt the knee
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9403607

Sandy,
Hope you progress well and heal up. Blessings sent your way.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9403775

Thank you. Hand looks better today, I put honey on it last night and that took care of it.

I am getting bored out of my skull. Andre is at the kennel and will stay stay there until next week so I will get some rest. I am hoping I can get so seeds started first on next week. I get tons of seeds.

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9417520

It's raining!!!!! I just knew if I ran my sprinklers this AM the rain would come!!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9417655

It misted here, but need rain...a gooood rain.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9417995

The bottom of my driveway is a "lake" and we had at least 3 nice heavy periods of steady rain. Have a leak in my rain gauge so no idea how much we got. Just know all the plants look much happier!!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9418198

We just got a good steady shower for which I am so greatful. When the Lord sends it and not my sprinklers plants seem to do much better.

Got 3 flats of morning glories planted yesterday and some gallardia. Got more seeds today so planing on planting them tomorrow. Not trying to keep up with Wren cause thats impossible. Just found morning glory seeds on sale so bought a bunch. Used to grow them up north and I think they will grow here.

Sandy please don't work too hard. I want you to stay in good shape so you can make it down.

Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9418276

I may have found some one who is willing to grow my seeds for a share of the plants. Maggie's Herb Farm
But I am going to start some tomatoes I hope next week.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9420775

Morning everyone. My laptop is in the shop and I am having trouble learning how to use this stupid tablet. Once I figure out how to use this darn thing I will catch up on all the threads

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9420792

Coldest night of the year tonight. Im so bummed, its going to turn all the blooming camellias and azealas brown, the citrus is blooming...etc. Bummer all round. Im even in a fret over the feral cats I feed. Ive tried to find some straw to put out for them, but can only find hay. Ive got an opossum that comes to eat every night that looks young and has a bad boo boo on its face. Want them to be warm. Looks like if they can make it two nights, things will warm up fast.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9421493

Our cats sleep in between our big round bales of hay instead of going into my husbs. shop where they started life here. My husb. says its warmer so they should be ok if they snuggle down in it. I am concerned about plants that are blooming and budded out now. Cold could really knock them back. Hope it doesn't stay down in temps for long.

Bonnie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
11:29 PM

Post #9421545

Love Bug, I would love some of your rooted brug cuttings. I have this great deck down here at Lake Okeechobee and like for it to be my secret garden. My deck got emptied while I recovered from my broken back. Would be happy to pay for rooted cuttings + shipping. But at the least postage. Well its bedtime here.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9421769

How did you fare with the drop in temperature last night? We reached the predicted temps of 37º.
I gathered all my coleus and put a bed sheet over them.
We can't line dry in this over 55 park I'm in on Taylor Creek. So I may put that good smelling sheet on my bed tonight.
I got 16 new golf cart batteries for my boat. We have a newly replaced lock to go on the lake about ready to open. I may take my damp laundry out on the lake, put up a line and dry away. I can see a sign that says "Clothes line not allowed on the lake", LOL
Smiling Sidney
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9421776

29 here when I got up, suppose to be 28 tonight. Im beyond irritated. I thought I wanst going to have to start anew on the bananas and angel trumpets. Not to mention, the bathroom I just cleaned and mopped ( a rare happening) is now full of plants and the dirt and mud they leave behind. At least most things wont take any harm.
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 17, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9422095

Hi Sidney,
I'm not sure what the rules are up where you live but down here the HOA cannot prohibit you from doing something that is considered "green" such as line drying clothes or putting solar panels on a roof.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9422107

That is true in all of FL, however a HOA can regulate where the pannels are put and not put and they can also make rules on where and when the clothesline can be used. They just cant ban it altogether, and they have to be 'reasonable' in there regulation of them.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9422162

I've been incommunicado for a while because my DG membership had expired, but I just renewed for another year. My Social Security disability was finally approved about a month ago, which provided about 18 months back pay from the date determined for disability of 2010, so there are currently a few extra dollars for discretionary spending (a rare occurrence in our household budget! LOL).

There was not much freeze damage to my garden last night, but the temperatures are expected to go even lower tonight (Sunday, 2/17). I FINALLY got my orchids and other potted freeze tender plants inside the house yesterday afternoon. The light drizzle of rain while I was doing this task was a nuisance, but I was glad for it since plants in the ground will survive a freeze better if they are well hydrated. I put 55 gal plastic cans over my ground orchids and that is usually sufficient to spare them from freezing. Some twinkle lights to cover the orchids inside the can would provide even more protection, but I was running short on time. I may add some lights for tonight's freeze. The Nun's Cap Orchids (Phaius tankervilliae) were already sending up flower spikes. The spikes, if not blasted by the freezes, will reach full blooming height of about 3 ft within a few months.

Glad to be back in touch with all my friends and neighbors here!

(photo: Lady Banks Yellow Rose (Rosa banksia 'Lutea') is really putting on a show this year!

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9422183

Love that rose, and glad its still in your yard.
I had no idea that is why you hadnt been around. Glad to hear it tho, I had imagined a medical issue. Good your back up and running.

Looks like after tonight its really going to warm back up and be nice. Thats a good thing, Im nowhere done getting my yard spring and summer ready.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013

Post #9422670

25 out, what a bummer. Banana, angel trumpets azealea flowers, all toast. When the stuff on the patio, under the screen and by the pool get froze, it was really cold. They can take down to about 27, but it surely got colder than that.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9422691

I put a flannel lined table cloth over my Trumpet since it had buds. Hopefully that worked.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 18, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9422840

Hi, all.

It's down to 49 here right now. I didn't cover anything last night. À la grâce de Dieu (It's in God's hands).

Jeremy, it's nice to know you're back among us. It's not the same around here without you.

Sydney, I'm sure you'll dance your way around your HOA's rule. We can't air-dry here. Uncouth people who had dared drape wet pool towels over the back of lawn chairs were fined. Beware those HOA commandos. We had a rule at the old condo whereby you were forbidden to feed the ducks. We also had peacock bass on the canal. I would sit by the water's edge and give them fish food. Well sure enough, a busybody told me not to feed the ducks. I answered :" There is not a duck on sight because I am feeding the fish. There's no rule against that, so get lost before I throw YOU on the canal.". Gail was mortified, but I'm used to that.

Y'all have a glorious day now, y'ear?

Sylvain

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 9:50 AM

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9422913

It was 37° at ten last night, 32° this morning for a good three hours. I covered some plants last night and brought in the orchids. This morning though is the first time walking around my garden after cold temps that I can smell that smell, you know rotten vegetation. Oh well it was a nice thought to think just one winter maybe we could go without freezing plant damage.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 18, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9423606

Torn between being so glad it didn't dip low enough for me to spend hours covering plants (except my succulent collection), and actually wanting it cold enough to help destroy all the pests we seem to have been plagued with at the end of last summer (the new Rugose spiraling whitefly, plus mealybugs, and so on). Some of the worst infestations I've seen in many, many years.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9424632

sunkissed - When I worked at the Jax Zoo & Gardens, one of the Hort managers there would also comment on how much he hated the smell of frostbit plants. I've never noticed the smell too much. I like to think of winter, not as the killing time, but a time or renewal and regeneration. Most everything I have in the ground will now bounce back after freezes, even if they are frozen to the root crown.

I did forget to bring my potted Eugenia shrub indoors the first night (I think it is Eugenia myrtifolia, but it is the type of plant often used in topiaries). It had all the leaves "fried" and dessicated by the freeze, but I did get it inside before the 2nd hard freeze night which was worst than the 1st night of freezing temperatures. I think the Eugenia will make a recovery, but they are really frost/freeze sensitive. Other plants in the garden seemed to do as expected, depending on their location.

Here's some photos from today:

1. Caulocattleya Haddie Notch 'Paradise' orchid. I brought it inside in bud on Feb. 4. I expected it to take longer to flower, but seemed to do well in the filtered light of the kitchen window.

2. Keiffer Pear (Prunus communis 'Keiffer') coming into flower. I planted this pear tree in memory of my brother, Wallace, and dropped a handful of his cremains in the planting hole. Wally's spirit seems to be adding strength and good growth as this pear tree does better than all my other fruit trees.

3. Cherokee Rose (Rosa laevigata) just started flowering. This rose is of Chinese origin, but has naturalized throughout the eastern U.S. The story I heard is that the American colonists brought the rose from Europe to serve as a deer break from their vegetable gardens -- the rose grows too high and dense (some branches reach 12 ft or more in length) for the deer to jump over it, and the thorns (some about 3/4 inch high) are too long and sharp for the deer to walk through it. I can certainly attest to that last part having found myself somehow entangled in the branches more than once and ripping my skin open when trying to get free. I don't mean to cast dispersions, but our dear friends north in the Georgia legislature have adopted this non-native species as the official State Flower of Georgia.

4. Eranthemum pulchellum - common name is Blue Sage, but it is not a sage (Salvia species). It would do better further south. This is the first year I've seen it flower due to the warmer than usual winter. I propagated it from pruned cuttings when I worked at the Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens. It roots fairly easily.

5. My Zone 10/11 Tropical Houseplant Garden came through the freezes with no damage, due to being located in a warm "microclimate" created by the canopy of a large old Live Oak, the eave of the workshop, and being against the wall of the workshop. These plants have survived here for several years with no significant winter damage, even during the severest winters.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener   Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9429146

Howdy, well get ready for a temp dive again next week's end. Down to 37º here in Okee on Saturday.
One of my vines that reappeared on the corner of the deck was affected by last weeks chill. If I post a picture, I'm sure Jeremy can ID it. Waiting for another Hibiscus bloom to send pictures. I think they are in transplant shock.
Planting Amaranth this afternoon or tomorrow. I got the Parrot one and the deep beet colored one.
If I knew how to set the dye, (possibly salt) I might try to make some.
I have 200 seeds of each and will plant up several for the RU.
They, like coleus, look terrific en mass, so I will bring several.
Can you give me any other request that I could donate my zone advantage to?
I have a 20# hanging basket of tom tom small tomatoes. The foliage is so thick I can't believe it. It has several blooms and lots of green tomatoes. I am so concerned about how to care for it. I'm sure it needs to sit in tub of water for awhile every morning. I'll do that.
Toy, I will check that out. Geeze, the folks here are quick to jump on anything. Park in the wrong place, go the wrong direction, go a bit too fast, they are on it. Had a friend complain about a fellas boxers drying on the back porch. LOL
Just passed my one year anniversary and can't tell all of you Angels that prayed for me and sent cards thank you enough.
Now our Lock is due to open on March 9th.
On that date I will be selling jewelry at the Speckled Perch Festival here in Okeechobee.
Sidney

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9429228

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:44 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9429257

I have report that says 27 for the low here next saturday, the other 32. 32 Im good 27 is not going to be good. I have way to much new growth killed from last week. Still pouting about all the azeala blooms turning brown.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9429269

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:46 PM
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9429353

Yard in Jax is toast! LOL. Have some perennials that will come back. Will whack back all of the Duranta and weeds. Several vines need to come down. I am going back to Jax around the 11th or 12th and then up to NC for my son's BD.
I'll try to give the front bed a good knock back. It can then emerge again, more controlled.
I love S Fl to spend much time in Jax... And only for love in NC. ;)

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9429357

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:48 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9429376

Did I just hear thunder...could it really be true??? Rain on the way!!! We are beyond dry. I think that had alot to do with my freeze loss last week.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9429385

Raining like cats and dogs here! In fact my dogs don't EVEN want to make that "last call" tonight! I guess we'll have to wait for a little bit of a let up!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9429408

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:42 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9429720

It rained some here. It was just enough to wet the leaves so you couldnt sweep them off the patio, dog brought mud in not sand. All the crap that oak trees make is everywhere. No different than any other February. I love the trees, and all the wild life that comes with them, but if Im every lucky enough to get to pick another spot, it wont have oak trees around the house, you can take that to the bank!!!!;-)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9429821

We have had rain on & off since ~8PM last evening. I can hear the plants slurping it up.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9429858

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:49 PM
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9430049

Great to here from you, Sidney!

The rain was much appreciated here last night. The occasional spritzes of drizzles weren't doing much to keep the plants happy. I managed to move all my orchids out of the dining room onto the front porch last night so they could get a good soaking. The greenhouse got stuffed with summer junk and what with the cancer treatments and the city code compliance hassles, I never got the greenhouse cleared out for winter to house the orchids. I got them into the dining room a few hours before the 20s F freezes last week. In the relocation last night, I found one Cattleya orchid with two big buds that should pop open in a few weeks. Always a thrill when they reward my (minimal) efforts with fantastic flowers!

Jeremy

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9430135

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:43 PM

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9430670

It is always nice to hear from you, Jeremy. Congrats on the orchid buds. Orchids... the ideal autopilot plants, wouldn't you say?

DavidofDeLand, nothing we share on this thread is personal and confidential. We talk of our joys, sorrows, apprehensions, excitement, success and failures openly. Everyone is welcome to chime in. For private messages, Dmail serves our purposes admirably. So go ahead and join in to your heart's content.

Take care, my friends.
Sylvain

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9431451

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:41 PM

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9432031

Hi Jeremy, the last freeze did trim back plants for me, and luckily only plants I would have trimmed back anyway. I should have taken cuttings of one plant my Russelia sarmentosa, it was damaged pretty good and I had some good stalks on it. Still kicking myself over that one. These darn freezes keep coming in on the weekends and we are so busy or gone on weekends. Your orchids are very nice by the way.

Looks like some cold nights again, and we're going to be camping near you gardenglory. The temps say down to 27 Sat. -Sun. Ouch...glad I have a motorhome. We'd cancel but this has been planned for my husband's 60th bday for almost 6 months and lots of family and friends are coming, and looking forward to it. Good think I love to cook, already have lots of soups and stews planned. I hate being away from my garden when temps dip so low...pretty bad when you want to stay home just to take care of your garden. ☺

My Aunt's orchid that I inherited, been in full bloom for the past month.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed         

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9432127

Camping, wow. Were do you go?

That orchid is just beyond stunning.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9432173

Hi, all.

I have been growing mussaendas since I got here 4 years ago. We love them. They can't stand the cool nights. We have lost 3 specimens so far. We got 2 cool nights, a week or so ago. Everything seemed all right with our current mussaenda until it dropped all its leaves within 3 hours, 2 days ago.

But there is hope yet: new buds are already growing on the bare trunks. It's not dead, it's only playing drama queen. I hate that. I don't have much space, so the motto here is: grow or be replaced.

Take care, all
Sylvain
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9432402

Sunkissed, you need to put the pic of the Orchid over in the Orchid forum. I "work" at mine & have nothing near that stunning.

Next week, a friend & I are renting a tiller & her son is going to till new gardens for us!!!!!! I was beginning to think I'd have to be out there with a shovel to turn the area and it would take me "weeks". And I just bet I can even get him to haul some top soil & mulch for me.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9432430

Woo hoo it's been raining here all morning. We sure can use it. Colder weather predicted for here this weekend but who knows.

Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9433818

What an absolutely spledibulous day it was outside today. Sun, light breeze, 70 deg. Finished cleaning out the front & side beds. Discovered my Bottle Brush Tree has tripled in size and is full of blooms & buds. I do believe I need a few more. Trimmed back the Bougainvillea and Lantana. Cleaned off the back stoop and dragged 3 trash cans of cuttings & weeds down to the curb.

I feel so much better when the gardens look tended. And I think the neighbors are happier!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9433820

I had just kinda cleaned up the yard, and of course the storm the other day has littered the yard again with limbs and branches. I still have dead stuff I need to prune, but was waiting until after the 30 forcasted for the weekend. Im replanting the front bed...again. I do it every spring just cant get it right.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9434125

The Cypress are budding!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9434272

Must be Spring. I have all the beginning of the gardening season aches & pains this AM. And still so much remains to do.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9434759

Sunkissed -- your heirloom orchid is spectacular!

Lours - always great to hear from you, too. I hope your health concerns are getting as nearly resolved as mine are now.

Qwilter - when renting the tiller, you may want to find one of the smaller Mantis-type tillers or a rear-tine tiller. I rented a tiller once and the net result of my investment was that I was dragged around the yard by the dern thing. It tore up more of the lawn than it did the planting area because (even with considerably more strength in those days some 20 yrs ago) I couldn't control the large front-tine tiller. I have a Mantis tiller but it is in a state of serious disrepair at this point due to me 1. having someone work on it several years ago that claimed to be a small engine repair expert, but they messed it up badly, and 2. my own attempt at repair which left the parts scattered hither and yon. I will probably need to take it to an authorized dealer to get it running again. It really works great for me when it is running and provides all the tilling action I need in my sandy-soil garden.

DavidofDeland - I hope we haven't lost you as a participant in our rambling conversations. I notice all your posts have been deleted.

My latest life experience learned with some considerable discomfort: Eating raw bread dough can lead to a nasty yeast infection. Who knew? The infection expressed itself, using the gentility of the medical terms, as pruitus ani; but I think it is a more apt description to allude to Johnny Cash and his song, "Burning Ring of Fire." LOL I saw my primary care doctor yesterday and he provided me with prescription strength Monistat. I happened to have a regularly scheduled appointment for blood lab work at my HIV/AIDS specialist's clinic today and the nurse drawing my blood managed to get me into the schedule as an urgent care/walk in patient. The infectious disease doc today agreed with me that an anti-fungal prescription pill to augment the cream was a good idea. I feel much more confident now that I will be able to knock out the yeast infection with two lines of attack.

Another life experience as a result of the yeast infection: The pharmacy cashier yesterday commented on how good I smelled. I now know, patchouly oil can mask even the most foul of odors. LOL

Jeremy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9434787

O dear, wonder what happened to David. It was so great to have a new person.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9434797

David, I was so looking forward to visiting your home nursery and purchasing some plants.
Sidney

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9434919

I do not understand what is going on with DavidofDeland, he seems to feel that we have not been "kind" to him.
I am sorry he feels that way but I have not notice anyone being unkind.

Sandy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9434921

New thread come on over
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300595/

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9435010

Wren,
After viewing the few comments on the efforts of those who send in albums of theirs on 'Garden Showcase';... and being new here since mid January and thinking the 'Showcase' was a cool thing;...actually looked at every new persons pictures and wanted them to know someone was looking and commented because it was fun to see their efforts grand or small. The lack of others comments and lack of interest in others garden pictures on the 'Showcase' was interesting to me. The comment by one member under "comments" on that forum insulting me for complimenting and taking the time to let others know I looked at their pictures made me think?... What would you think Wren? Then I started noticing on other forums how not just me,...but how many others have been sidestepped by groups of certain friends? Is this why you have started a new thread?...? It's O.K. Now that I have a clearer image of the workings and am paid up for a year,...I will be poking in from time to time and believe I try to be fair and am a good friend to have. I do love plants! Forgive me?

You sound like a Trooper Jeremy. I wish you health and a beautiful Spring...and thank you for sharing...
and I still think it would be great for Qwilter to stop in and see the place when she stops by the Quilt store on 17. Just D-mail me first and we'll talk about it on the phone. That is the same for you Sugarweed and anyone else who wants to stop by...As long as it is after mid April... (Of course I would want everything looking its best...Ha!)

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9435027

I started a new thread because this one was way to long and was hard for our dial up friends. My laptop has been messed up for all most 6 months and I have not been able to keep up with starting new threads.
I do not all way comment because I am either not here, the laptop is on the blink again or I am sick and I have been sick a lot lately.

We are a friendly group-some of us maybe a little crazy but we are harmless.

Chit chat threads are just that. We here and over on a couple of other chit chat threads like new people to join in.

Sandy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
3:34 AM

Post #9435165

New thread everyone

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300595/#axzz2MHnOjDkL

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9435179

I sorry to hear your health has been bad lately Sandy. Wishing you better...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9435188

We always start a new thread at 200 post or at the beginning of a new month. I think that is common on most forums.

If someone is out of line in how they talk to you, you can always contact administration, and they will get it off.

I was going to order from a coop a couple weeks ago, the person in charge, all the sudden dropped it. They said they had been trolled. Heck, I didnt even know what trolled meant. Turns out, someone asked them to send some pictures of the plants roots that were up for sale. They took that as an insult and dropped the coop, when they person making the request said " well any good grower would have pictures". That to them was a big insult and harrassment and the end of the coop. I would have told the person they didnt have to buy if they didnt like how the co op was run. Both persons involved are nice people and have been around awhile. With not being able to see anything but flat words, people do take things wrong sometimes. The person making the request could have easily gone to the website where the plants were coming from, I wasnt really understanding his request myself, but took it a whole different way.
There are three forums I can think of that interest me, some nice folks on them im sure, but for the most part, they can KMA. Talk about a group that is all about themselves. I do notice however, that the ones in that forum that I dont consider friendly, have the same attitude on other threads. I therefore, dont take it personally, I just stay away from there. Not knowing what people are going thru and what they are dealing with in their lives, Im not going to make an issue of it. I have never noticed in problems on the FL forum, except when Daves sold DG and some pretty interesting words were exchanged and some kicked off. The fighting was not with each other, but with new and stupid rules.
I spend alot of time at the doctor, dealing with aging parents and trying really hard to balance a slim checkbook. I find Daves is the one place I can go to get away from all of that. The quilting forum being my top spot, along with the FL folks. I would hope everyone could find some 'get away' time as well.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9435194

I just went over and took a look at the garden showcase. Could not find your garden David?? I did notice some really pretty things, but also notice most dont have any comments at all. People seem to be taking it as some really nice eye candy, instead of chat I guess. I can stay on pintrest forever looking at the great gardens. Heck, I can stay on pintrest forever...just looking, period.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9435241

Some of the most amazing things ever show up on Pinterest.
I was going to do a showcase but just didn't. There are enough fun pictures already of really unique gardens.

I understand the aging parents thing all to well. My Mother and Father were the main reason I came back to Florida and my Mom was in and out of the hospital for the last 3 years every couple of months. She passed away last November and I still see her in the hospital with all the tubes and bruises on her arms from too many tests procedures...It is a feeling I never knew.

Back to the gardening. I am going out to start bringing things in now. I hang all the hanging baskets onthe rafters in the garage first...Yuck! I sure hope this is the last of this freeze warning stuff this year...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9435275

I tried to comment in the showcase but some of those files are so HUGE they never finish loading. Not sure it is being used as designed.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9435317

Please move over to the new thread. This one is way to long for some of out member

Sandy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America