Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Aussie Brugs for Summer 2013

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 87, Views: 797
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 1, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9372644

Wow how quick did that 2012 go ?

We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290179/

It's all quite in the Brug garden here right now, apart from sprouting and growing (three coldie babies are sitting up with the cork hats on- in this heat yikes). Hopefully they will drop the hats tonight, don't know what will happen in this heat though.
How are all your babies going everyone ?

Here is is ♪♪♪♥♥♥ January 2013 ! ♪♪♪♥♥♥
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQZ5AHUk2U

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 1, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9372705

This interesting flower arrived on the scene last year in March...it's a Charleston x Apricot Queen...It was really beaten up by the weather when it first flowered and it only had 2 flowers but I kept it to see what it does this year...this is the first one for this flush and as you can see it has brown spots due to being banged around and most of it's corolla tips have gone , but the inner skirt has very nice long tips...it is a creamy white after 5 days, no sign of any colour..
I couldn't tell about the perfume, it's way too high...
There are about 20 buds to come if they don't get fried on the weekend..

Allan, your Dorthea x Sam, lost it's buds on our 39C day, but it's budding up again..it was a nice single pink, so I'm looking forward to it flowering again...it was a more melon pink, different to the ones that I have..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 1, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9372717

You can see a hint of Apricot on the inner skirt Dianne, I bet it will be an apricot come Autumn, lovely !

Looking forward to seeing the other one too.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 1, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9372743

Hello all. Just finished potting up 20 new babies. They had a nice cool shower and will sit in the greenhouse for few days then join the others in the shadehouse.
Its getting very not here now so I wont do any more.

Dianne, thats a pretty bloom. Interesting to see how it progresses.

My coldies are all out under the ash tree in the shade. They can stay there all year round as there is enough room.
A couple of the sangs are still along the shadehouse because they put roots through the pots so I left them there.. They are over 6"high and have Y'd so I may see flowers later in the year.

Not much else being done as its too hot to be repotting big brugs. They will get their turn in autumn.

Enjoy your day
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9373636

Potting, potting, potting,like you Jean ...not the big ones, too hot !
just so many from brand new babies as well as the teens.

The really different ones, (I know, they are all special)and one of the newest lot are Shaun's experimental Aurea (form) x Culebra.
One of the smaller ones is kind of interesting, other than that, they just look like sturdy little babies. I think they won't display any Culebra traits until more mature (pretty sure I read that in the Brug Bible). Can't check because I broke my reading glasses.

Anyone else have these ones further along so we can see them ?
Shaun what about yours ...I am sure yours must be jumping by now.

I won't be starting any more seeds after the end of this month because you like them to have some good roots going before a possible early Winter.

The different cuttings from other gardens are all doing well, hopefully we will see some nice blooms in Autumn from them. ^_^

The little coldies were taken in to the enclosed verandah because of the oncoming heat, still have their hats on but they aren't right up yet, I will try hard with these ones now, out of curiosity.
I hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Here are your special kids Shaun, just done ! ^_^

chrissy

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 1:37 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 3, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9374364

Here it comes ...good luck everyone for the coming week, stay cool, lets hope for no fires.
Fingers and toes crossed for our Homes,Gardens and Brugs.

Most of all be safe, we can't replace YOU ! ^_^

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 3, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9374376

Toasted brugs here after yesterday, but the babies are doing well as long as I keep them damp.
I was surprised to see how well they are looking and growing quickly..

Chrissy, at long last FFA has put out a Y so I may get to see him flower at last.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 4, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9375519

Good on you Jean ...hope you get your blooms to open ...how apt in this weather huh ?

Here come the first coldie babies ...(in this heat ?)

The one in this picture has shucked off it's hat, it's sibling is shucking it's hat off this morning ...hoping they do ok in this heat.
Can't believe I am trying them ...but who could resist this cross.

Here are the newborns starting up ...first babies out of this lot, since they have Arborea Genes in them they just might make it.
I know most of you have these ones, how are they going where you are ?

Good luck in the heat everyone. Be safe ...

(Lockwood 621 x sanguinea) x sanguinea x Arborea hyb. Alistair Hay.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 4, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9375532

More toasted brugs, but the babies are doing very well in the greenhouse and shadehouse.
I am amazed at the larger brugs when you see some standing up quite well in the heat while right next to them , some will just fall over. .
Most recover in the evening but so many have all the tops toasted , so goodbye to any buds that may have been forming. Its definitely an autumn area for brugs to bloom here.
I am hoping they will all recover, but those that are really suffering will be tossed as its just not worth the trouble to nurse them when you never see any flowers.
Its in this extreme weather that the trusty aureas come through best.
My coldies are surprising me though. They are under a tree but still get morning sun . They are standing up better than a lot of the warmies of the same age.

Better get back out and finish watering . Its a beautiful morning but the heat will return soon.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 5, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9376708

Alistair's babies are fine so far, Chrissy

Jean is right, the sun doesn't worry them if they have cool feet, my 9ft now, one, is standing up well above the tin roof of the little fernery, it gets the reflected heat as well as the sun all day, but it doesn't burn, maybe it's something to do with the furry leaves...

Clementine is amazing me again, it didn't wilt and it's flowers weren't affected...it has some pretty flowers on it at the moment, will take a pic tonight...
FFA is lovely, Chrissy...Jean, I hope your's opens up soon...

My A.Swingtime by Sam has opened this morning, it's a single, but the long petaloids inside might be promising a double in the future, it looks like A.Swingtime only single, but the colour might change later...pic tonight...

A.Swingtime really stamps it's offspring with it's shape, the 4 to flower so far, 3 have it's shape with the downturned petal tips...I like it...

I'm looking forward to it's 2 x Mango Crush to flower again and there is a third one of that cross that hasn't flowered yet.
Dianne.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
2:53 AM

Post #9376882

hi there Guys have been super bisy and have just got a few min to report
the weather has been vicious in Melbourne hitting 40 2/3 days straight and then a day with about 30oC i had peeped all my gardens and had them well watered a week in advance of this hot few days i did have a few plants wilt which i expected and i also knew which ones would do it.
they were the cold group and 2 plants in the back of the yard where the sprinkler dose not hit very well but in the confusion i have noticed that there are a few seedlings just starting to 'Y' surprised me!

Chrissy my a(f)x.Cul have been doing well and they look really good i hope that there will be some trait that Culebra may drop of show up as the plant gets older and matures.
thanks for keeping me in the loop!

jean how are yours going????

Back in October i was starting the bean challange to see weather the beans and nitrigen would make the plants bloom quicker ??????
i now have a resault IT DOSE NOT HELP i have just noticed that the seedling that has no beans in it has 'Y'd for me eairlier then expected so it will look like i have a new seedling bloom in the Autumn. as yoiu can see the y is just starting

Pic 1 = Culebra
pic 2 = Y =Betty Marshall (seedling) x.Rosalla
pic 3 = Betty Marshall (seedling) x.Rosalla ====left (Bean) ===right (no Bean)

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 7, 2013
1:11 AM

Post #9377782

Oh boy ...the heat !

Question please ...the coldies are sending down a long root that hits the bottom of the cup (at least I think it is a tap root)

Do we treat these the same as the warm brugs ? do they fill the pot before we move them on or move them before the tap root may get broken.

It is very easy to pot on the warm ones because they have a mass of roots. Is it the same with these ? they tripled in size already and the long root has hit the bottom of the large cup. What to do ? It looks like a tap root is it ?

It all sounds very exciting down South ...less so here, we have spent all day preparing for possible fires, it will be the same as the Black Xmas fires were in 2001 when we were almost burned down. Hot Westerly Wind in mid 40C temps ...kind of nerve racking.
Good luck to all of us ...we may need it.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 7, 2013
3:29 AM

Post #9377802

Chrissy, I just treat all my brugs the same . Coldies or warmies, they all get everything equally.
I have not noticed any difference in the root systems when I repot .
My coldies look better than some of the warmies of the same age. They seem to recover from the darn mite a lot quicker too.
I have a few sangs that are way up past the top of the shadehouse. They do go limp in the heat but dont go so crispy as the warmies . It must be the furry leaves.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 7, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9377832

Thanks Jean ...that is good news ^_^

Still nervous about trying to grow coldies but yes, they are quicker than the warm seedlings, quite a surprise. I read somewhere on the net that they like slightly more acidic conditions and less water than the others. I am thinking sandy, compost, cow manure type medium next potting on. It worked for well for the Arborea.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 7, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9378699

Don't be nervous about the coldies, Chrissy...remember Alistair grows them...and we have found them to be very tough...they can take the heat...I don't know about the less water, I haven't found that to be the case..
I've never even grown an Arborea and I've had no probs.

Here is the largest Clementine flower that has grown in my garden. putting it side by side with a smaller didn't give a true comparison, so I put them nose to nose...all the others are small except for this big one that has just opened. Maybe because the bush is growing so well, in future they will be big flowers...the growth has been amazing, considering it spent 2 yrs in a pot, it's as though it's saying 'I'm free" yippee...
Now if they all do that when they are put into the ground, Ray and I may as well move out...
All those giant coldies...oooohhhh scary...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
12:47 AM

Post #9378810

Chrissy just like the Girls said about the COLDIES just have fun with them they are more hardier then what people think.
I have a 15+ yo sanguinea that only gets watered via Mother Nature and not by the TAP
it was cut back very very hard in spring as it was looking a bit sad so i did this to rejuvenate the plant.
im sure that even over in the US were there a bit worried about growing them i think the biggest issue for them is getting the seedlings to germinate and then there on there way.

Dianne that miss Clementine looks like its going places for you this year the larger flower is very nice but as stated you cant really tell the size or i cant as i have not had it bloom for me ATM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 8, 2013
1:25 AM

Post #9378814

Thanks everyone ...whew we made it through the day ok ...36.6C here at 8 tonight !
Yes those coldies are outgrowing the others ! whew and in this heat ????

stay cool everyone ! a bit of relief expected here at midnight (hot wind still blowing here).

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 8, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9379461

I wish I could predict as well as this ...no whites or singles ..all doubles & triples...wow
We should all jump in and buy them all...lol
Jean.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRUGMANSIA-3-SEEDLINGS-ALL-NAMED-IMPORTED-SEEDS-DOUBLES-TRIPLES-COLOURS-7-/160952156066?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item25797effa2

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 8, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9379524

I think selling seedlings by known crosses is a good idea, BUT, I have a problem with the seller saying they will all be doubles, the no whites no singles is a lie, or pure ignorance from lack of experience. Apart from the Lies ...it is selling germinated seeds, same as selling seeds but better, since the germination has been done (some gardeners are scared of that ). It's a shame to see, however it was predictable. What a pity they aren't just selling good crosses as seedlings, anyone who has grown hybrid Brugs knows the truth, some new gardeners may be very disappointed.

It is a fairly decent temp today only 26C after a night of 28C, we are still herebut cannot see the Blue Mountains for smoke. Rain is forecast so fingers crossed, we have been lucky ...not too much damage outside. Whew !
Everyone else ok ?

chrissy

This message was edited Jan 9, 2013 12:20 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 9, 2013
2:14 AM

Post #9379759

I forgot to say Jean that I hardly ever look at Ebay ...wow surprising what you see in there sometimes.
Thanks for the link ...Guess it will be interesting to watch the responses.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 10, 2013
12:48 AM

Post #9380676

The 40's continue over the weekend here ...so much for Summer Brugs in 2013 *shrugs*

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
12:55 AM

Post #9380677

well chrissy i hope that the weather calms down for yuo next week then
Its a very nice day here and i am just watering ready for tomorrow's onslaught of high temps

most of the buds that were on plants dropped due to the very high temps earlier this week Pooo but am now waiting on a new set of buds to see come throw in the next few weeks fingersX.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 10, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9381113

A bit over it all at the moment ...it's the heat.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 13, 2013
10:54 PM

Post #9384164

It's just starting to happen here, at last GHA is opening...pic below.
The first of my FFAs has opened, same as every year, Chrissy, a single first, isn't it odd, just the one usually...you can see the petaloids inside but just the single corolla...
Alistair's seeds are very vigorous...Some of them will be getting a new home soon...
Waiting on some more flowers from the white double...I can see whiskers... :-)
If only the weather would stay mild for a few days...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 14, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9384832

Dianne. GHA is covered in flowers here. He has made up for the rest period he had . There are so many new leaves coming to fill in the bald look.

For those of us waiting on Ludgers seeds, I hope they will soon arrive. It does take a while to get down here and I hope they hurry up.
Have to go out and water now, and I will get some pics of the brugs in their new place.
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 14, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9384920

A couple of pics from this morning. ..

pic 1...some of the larger seedling brugs in their new area. The ones at the far left are the coldies.
You can see how they all get the morning sun, but will be shaded for the rest of the day.

pic 2...GHA going mad with flowers. He is getting very tall so flowers are up high now.

pic 3...younger seedlings in the shadehouse.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 14, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9385033

Looking good ladies ...

Just a quick look at some of my newest babies ...I am thinking of holding off putting them out into the full Sun until the weather is more stable, better not to take a chance for me as we have had such sharp rises and falls in the temps and I have run out of any form of shelter for now.
Some of Alistair's babies pic 1 was the first ones and look at those cot leaves ! Huge ! ??? confusing in the heat pic 2 was the latest popping up ...no 3 was left outside to see if they would survive the heat under the shade, guess they do (so far).
4 some mixed seedlings. These are on the verandah rail and get dappled morning Sun to start to harden them up. 5 same.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 14, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9385068

Here are Allan's Double White (the big one) I will move him out as soon as the heatwave passes into the garden. Pic 1
Behind it is Maurice's double white cuttings waking up, those too will go outside after the heatwave passes. Thank you too ^_^

I am hoping Frilly Dilly will bloom in mid Autumn it has started to really bolt now. As you can imagine after the really bad day I have scorched buds on Dwarf Pink n Green. Everything else is either hibernating (mostly the German ones) or starting to take off (though these ones have semi shelter.) So I am looking forward to seeing other gardener's pics, since I probably won't have many for a couple of months perhaps, that is unless our yo yo weather decides to co -operate. More 40C's coming along this weekend.
At least we have had some milder conditions in the past 2 days whew.!

2&3 Some of Shaun's Aurea (form) x Culebra ...they are strong but growing a little slower than the others (this might indicate the Culebra Genes ) pic 3 the two on the left. Fingers crossed we achieve your desire Shaun,I am sure it will be interesting no matter how it turns out.

Just between you and me ...I am very nervous re the Coldies but gotta try your best right ? pic 4 look hard you may see the Iochroma behind the butterfly bush and in front of the Boge (Boge wrecked by the terrible winds.) Butterfly Bush from cestrum.

Enjoy your day everyone ...go the Brug Babies !!!!!!

chrissy

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 6:19 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9385512

hi it looks like all the plants are starting to produce buds and even pods for me at least
Dianne, Glad to see both GHA & FFA are starting to move for you
Jean its all guns a blazing for you there
Chrissy looks like all the seedlings are marching on for you also so glad that the aurea x.Culebra are doing well for you and im sure some thing will pop up later if at all but this is why we do the crosses is it not!

for the coldies Chrissy all we can do is try if it don't work we don't do it again

here is the latest to my collection it is a Tantra x.aurea(form) with a solid corolla structure more so then that of the aurea's the color is of a soft butter yellow which stands out on the plant i do have a name but it will have to wait for a bigger flush before i do any thing with it like seedling crosses or register it i think it is a big improvement on any thing i have and it is mite resistant
I have had this plant since 2009 first bloom 2011 then cut back really hard and then flowered in January 2013
all pics as from T x.a(f) bloom cut to pollinate with Shooting Star & Lemon Kisses

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 15, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9386238

That's very attractive, Shaun...if you have any, could you post a pic of Shooting Star and Lemon Kisses, I'm not familiar with them...

These Brugmansia never fail to amaze me, particularly the doubles...
Whereas singles like BF and RFP never change except maybe for the size...the doubles are so much affected by the weather...

Now I've had FFA for about 3 yrs and when it starts to flower it has always started with a single, which Chrissy has never seen on her's..
This time, of the 7 flowers that have opened, 6 are single and only 1 is double...
But more interesting to me is the delicate size and shape, the perfume is still the same...gorgeous.
At first I thought that they were going to stay a lemon colour like Angioletto, but they have a slight orange tinge as they age and the corolla tips don't fold back at all...

Such a pretty flower...as a single or a double or it's true form...which I can't find a pic of at the moment...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9386401

It's an interesting shape Shaun ...good luck with the crosses.

FFA likes the warmth (not being grilled like we have been experiencing). I am glad you like it, the fragrance is really lovely too, may it be just one in a great long line of Beauties yet to come from our gardens. When FFA flushed just after the Victorian Fires. I almost fainted with shock. Still remember the feeling ...PRICELESS ! It has many colours according to the temperatures (like many of our Brugs do) Pics- the many faces of FFA.

Big Heat coming again ...been out there watering like mad, mulching too, with more cow you know what (they love that !).

So good luck everyone ! we may have to wait until Autumn in some gardens but it is worth it !
Go little Bruggies go.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 16, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9387413

Good morning bruggies ...is anyone having problems with BGI ...I can't see any posts (all blanks). Is it just me ?

It is going to get Ugly out there today ...frizzle time again, be safe and stay in the shade.
Let's hope the cooler change comes in early tomorrow, the cloud cover may remain- lets hope so.

Good luck everyone !

chrissy

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 9:07 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 16, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9387417

Looks like they are just moving the furniture around in BGI, so relax.

Try later.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 17, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9387877

What an odd day,
So much hotter in Melbourne than the Bellarine...we didn't get really hot until after 4 because we had cloud cover all day until then...
None of the Brugmansias really suffered and most weren't affected at all...
Here is FFA totally without cover all day, but not even singed...
Hope everyone elses came thru ok.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9388651

This won't be good ...even FFA wouldn't survive this ... 44C and rising !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 17, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9388727

My brugs are looking good after temp of over 40C yesterday. Some toasted leaves on a couple of the tall ones but even the coldies are surprisingly green.
I am keeping all their feet wet so this is doing good.
Beautiful cloudy day here with lovely cool breeze, but the heat will be back over the next few days.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9388742

Gone up to 45 C

Mine are well watered but the hot dry wind and full on Sun is cooking them !

Tooo Hot ! that is 113F

chrissy

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 2:44 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9388784

Gone to 46C ...That's a shocker ! 115 F

I think the Brugs are not the only things cooking, if you never hear from me again ...you will know why.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 17, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9388805

We were watching the races in NSW and they were cancelled...far too hot for the horses...Mick would lay down...

So disappointing watching your garden cook, after all your TLC...our thought are with you Chrissy and Wayne...

Dianne.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
11:29 PM

Post #9388841

Yesterday was in the 40's here and it didnt feel that way tho,
Sorry to hear that the Murcury hit over 45oC up there i hope that all of you are doing well and trying to keep cool, Wayne, Chrissy & Alistair (in SAmerica) i hope that his garden is well looked after!

Cestrum & Allan how is the weather up there hope your coping with it well?????

the temps here today have been very kind as the temp was only 23oC so the plants have time to recover ready for the next onslaught of weather next week

Dainne FFA is looking like it wants to really show of for you at the moment

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9389479

Good Morning survivors ^_^

Well I dreaded what I would find out there this morning, BUT apart from quite a few frizzled leaves, the Brugs survived the heat !
Some were knocked over by flying debri (Gum tree branches from next door). I quickly fixed them up this morning, hopefully they will be ok, I think they will. Never had large pots go over before, they weren't sunk into the ground yet (I usually sink them a few inches into the ground.

If the Brugs can survive 46.7C then I think they are officially TOUGH ! ^_^ .
Even Alistair's coldies, I left one cup outside under a Cape Gooseberry bush and the happy seedling was sitting up out there practically jumping for joy,even after that inferno (the Cape Gooseberry bush had dropped it's fruits though-they seemed cooked to my taste).

Great relief here to also find the babies all doing just fine, even grown a bit overnight (the way they do). There is something magical in stormy rain.

How did your gardens fair ?

Have a lovely weekend ...despite the weather !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 21, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9392977

It's hot, nothing new to report here, everything is still alive. I can hear rumbling in the sky.

Hope everyone is coping with the weather events.

Time flees, only 5 ish weeks until Autumn.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 22, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9394189

WOW ! Congratulations to Wayne ! Clementine cross whoo hoo !
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200521506227140&set=a.10200521504107087.2204335.1442531454&type=1&theater

Hope you can see it everyone !

Wayne might post some pics here later for those who cannot see his beautiful new seedling ^_^

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 22, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9394221

Sadly, I can't see it Chrissy, for some reason my friendship with Wayne disappears every now and then...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 22, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9394247

Ok description ... Perfect yellow triple, slightly smaller than Clementine, but has Clementine's fragrance. Wayne might post later, it's gorgeous !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 22, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9394264

Sorry to say I could not see the lovely bloom of Waynes.
I wont go on FB .
Maybe he will post a pic later so we can all see it.
Sounds gorgeous.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9394296

I cant see it either
i have just friended Wayne but i thought i was a friend in the first place
could only see a few brugs on his FB page

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 22, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9394323

Sounds gorgeous...Clementine and ?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 23, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9395410

Clementine x ? yes ? Lol ...suspect Buck's Fizz as being the daddy.

We seem to be having probs on the pictures elsewhere, so just testing ...looks ok here.
hmmmm.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 23, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9395461

Hold on to your hats everyone ...

From Wayne :

" I am having trouble with Daves... Don't ask as I do not know!!
Would you please upload 5 of the pics from my new album? You choose - The descriptions I have given are, 'Clementine' x noid (probably 'Bucks Fizz'). Seed collected and grown 2 years back. Number 1 of 15 seedlings...
Slightly smaller than 'Clementine', however no deformed blooms. Highly scented, just like 'Clementine'. Presently growing in a 300 mm pot. Healthy foliage - at this stage, no pests or diseases.
Thanks Chrissy, much appreciated. "

I am sure you will agree this is a real beauty ...Sun Soaked just like our Endless Summer this year ! Amazing if you think of the weather we have been experiencing.
chrissy

Congratulations Wayne !

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 23, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9395521

Wayne, she is absolutely beautiful
Such graceful form and a perfume to match.

Love her.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 23, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9395569

As I said on BGI, Wayne you have created a perfect Clementine...congratulations...
Has Alistair seen it yet, he would be pleased...
Dianne.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
11:01 PM

Post #9395580

Wayne what a piece if work you have created
If it is better then Clementine what will come of her?
I believe that clementine is a key to having doubles/ triples
What do you think
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 24, 2013
12:00 AM

Post #9395587

that Clementine X noid is stunning!

Makes me wish I lived in Aussie so I could try growing some of these beautiful brugs :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 24, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9396310

Good morning everyone ...thick fog here this morning, hot day ahead.

Therese I don't know why you couldn't grow them there :

http://www.subtropical.co.nz/writingDatura.html

They grow in some very very cold places (if you have room to shelter them from Hard Frosts and Snow in Winter)
Sing out if you want some nice seeds ...I would be happy to send you some if your Customs allow it).

Great to see the reviews on Wayne's new Brug, thanks everyone !

Have a great Day and for tomorrow
Celebrate living in the best Country in the World (sorry Therese but I would live in NZ if I couldn't live here).

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY
for tomorrow !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 24, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9396501

Thank you Chrissy for submitting my new brug here - ditz me logged out! :(
Seems all OK now.
Thank you all too for your kind words regarding my plant. Early days yet, so let's hope it does OK over the next few seasons.
A couple more pics...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 24, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9396831

Truly one of the best, Wayne..
Dianne.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 24, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9396856

Chrissy - If I lived in the north of the North Island I would be growing brugs!
I did like the look of a couple of the NZ hybrids.
Down here in ChCh we have heavy frosts & sometimes snow storms.
I know we can grow Datura, there was one in the garden of our first house in ChCh but Mum had it dug out as she was worried about the toxicity when my brother was young & she often looked after other small children.

I wish I'd known more about them back then, I would have taken cuttings & tried growing it in pots.
Could have taken it when I moved out of home.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 25, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9397488

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

Have a beaut day everyone !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9397891

Happy Australia Day
hope every one is safe
Today i had the luxury of Ivoire popping its head out
very pale in color very nice fragrance and the leaves are quite velvety
Here he is

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013 11:33 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9397893

Pic 1 ,,2 are from 'Ivoire'
pic 3,4,5 are from my newest plant Tantra x.aurea(form) in my opinion this is about the same size as DPG or just that bit smaller i think this is a beautiful combination of both the parents with the tart yellow color which i have not seed do deeper in color as the weather has been going the other way getting cooler

The flower is probably as thich or thicker skin then that of 'Ivorie' to my eye just clearing the calyx as the flower blooms its quite an interesting plant to watch

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9397926

Wayne ...stunning pics !
Wayne has given this new beauty the working ID of DMI it comes with a lovely reason (initials only at this stage ) which will be revealed if it passes Wayne's approval for endurance etc in the flushes to come.

Shaun great pics ! I don't know what your weather is like, but we were battered with hot winds again today (it's very frustrating!), you are doing well to have those blooms.

Well I hope everyone enjoyed their Australia Day 2013 (can't even believe a month of 2013 is about to end).

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9398275

Wayne, the more I see your pretty lady, the more I love her.
I hope she does all things right for you and gets her name out there.

Shaun, you have a pretty baby too.
Very aurea looking.

I am hoping I can add a new baby again one of these days.

I have put up the side shelter for my brugs and will do the end part next. Will get a pic later. I was going to use shadecloth but decided to use the black weed mat as it does a good job pf blocking the wind and is so cheap at $1.90 per metre against shadecloth at $18 per metre.
It is just supported by 2 pine posts and when it wears out, it is cheap to replace.
Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 26, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9398283

Trust all had a great day yesterday. Rain here since 5am, so the celebration goes on!

Thanks Chrissy... D.M.1 at this stage, just incase we need to move on to D.M. 2, 3, 4... Hopefully that will not be the case if this first plant of the batch behaves itself! :)

Your bloom looks lovely and waxy Shaun. Aurea cvs are a fav.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 26, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9398288

P.S. Thanks Jean... I was typing as you posted! :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9398346

Yay for the rain ...thank goodness it was pretty bad out there after the wind yesterday.
Fire risks averted until now.

Thanks for the weed mat tip Jean !

Wayne what if a few of your seedlings from that cross are gorgeous ? You could call it the D.M. range ^_^
However if this one is the only one to shine, then it is like winning the Floral Oscar isn't it ?

I hope those of you up North are ok, it's a bit of a worry, hopefully all will be well typically you needed the rain, but typically you get a flood ...it's Australia isn't it ? " of droughts and flooding rains "

Have a beaut day everyone lots to do after all this lovely rain.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9398349

[quote="chrissy100"]Yay for the rain ...thank goodness it was pretty bad out there after the wind yesterday.
Fire risks averted until now.

Thanks for the weed mat tip Jean !

Wayne what if a few of your seedlings from that cross are gorgeous ? You could call it the D.M. range ^_^
However if this one is the only one to shine, then it is like winning the Floral Oscar isn't it ?

I hope those of you up North are ok, it's a bit of a worry, hopefully all will be well, typically you needed the rain, but typically you get a flood ...it's Australia isn't it ? " of droughts and flooding rains "

Have a beaut day everyone lots to do after all this lovely rain.

chrissy

[/quote]

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9398356

ha ha ha oh boy, look what happens when you hit a wrong thingy lol ...great start for the day ! lol , hi ho hi ho it's off to the garden I go . Bye for now , I will try not to hit wrong buttons next time ^_^

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9398459

Just finished with the weed mat etc and now the bruggies have a nice place all year.
Of course they wont all fit there, but at least it leaves a bit more room for the bigger boys & girls around the shadehouses.
They have a nice space about 12'x 12' next to the shadehouses with shadecloth across the windiest end. They do get the tops blown about but I cant help that.

The new space is about 14' x 12' and has the weed mat on the south side where all the winter cold comes from. The shadecloth is across the west end to also stop a lot of the wind. The morning sun comes in at the east end where I was taking the pic from. The north is the shed wall and fence.
I blocked the path with the shadecloth, but can just as easily walk around the tree as I wont fill in any more of that end due to there being some nice sheltering shrubs there.
The tree is an Ash , so no leaves in winter means plenty of sun then.
Lots of air movement and having the tap right there is great for watering.

Chrissy, I have used the weed mat for a lot of things. Its great in the boot of the car to catch dirt when moving plants.
I have used it as a weed mat too ...lol
Great to kill off weeds in large areas.
I like it because its cheap and can easily be replaced when it frays out
I you use it as I have , double it over twice to stop too much fraying and use narrow slats to hold it on the posts.
I used pieces of old trellis. .

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9400677

Nothing to show but mud ...lol and water. Thank goodness all the seedlings are fine.
Just checking in and wishing our Northern friends all the best, I hope you are surviving the floods.
Take care won't you, hopefully the worst has happened and the clean up can begin soon.
Nothing new out there, not a happy Summer for Brugs ...
Here anyway.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 28, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9400866

Hi all.
The pot on the left shows a seedling, regenerating growth. The top was probably nipped off by a grasshopper. The seedling was cut below the first set of leaves.

The pot on the right is the cutting from that seedling, struck and very happy! :)
Two for one.

W.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 28, 2013
10:29 PM

Post #9400883

I had a seedling nibbled in half the other day, never thought to try striking the top...I will in future...thanks Wayne...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2013
10:43 PM

Post #9400888

Hi Wayne I have seen mine come back again after being chewed off, no top left to strike.
What a great tip though. I think it will always come back once you have a good little root system, but I was wondering if it applies to the above the cot leaf scar area only, because that seems to be the secret (you know like the headless babies that have a few leaf cells left , not 100% sure but interested in other comments on this subject.
Yes 2 from one is always good, usually the cut mother plant will bush out rather than grow like an umbrella. Wonder what the top will do ?

chrissy
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
11:03 PM

Post #9400893

U.S. here, (but love all my Aussie friends)!!!! I just got three cuttings from a member from California, they are in a jar of water and the "nubs" (or whatever you call them) are starting to expand. I need to get to the nursery down the street and buy some soil - these babies are about ready to put in some DIRT! I just LOVE brugs! I'm getting ready to start seeds of various kinds, as well. This time of the year, where I live in the world, can get cold and dreary this time of the year - but I can start getting busy indoors getting everything ready for putting outdoors mid May. I have a sun room that I grow things in, in the winter time and it works quite well for me. I am so tired of winter... Oh - the brugs I have are called "Sunset". I prefer the simple white ones for their scent.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
11:52 PM

Post #9400899

Wayne that is a winner to get the top and do a cutting from it and it takes a BONUS
BTW: love your Clementine X. very nice indeed

Karrie, HI from Melbourne, im really glade to hear you getting things ready for the spring and all the work you can do inside before spring all the better, we also love our Brugs here in Australia and we are on the move for bigger and better crosses which will be coming in droved in the next 12-24 months

Chrissy, Jean & Dianne, it all about aurea cant wait for the seed to arrive probably tomorrow morning here????????

Cestrum & Allan, Hope all is well up there with all that rain and flooding i hope your safe & sound

Shaun
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9401882

Hi there Guys,

I just received my seed from Ludger via Jean

I thank you both and i will be sowing them today

this is going to be a trip with all the aurea's now that we have

Chrissy i hope that your seeds get to you by tomorrow
Dianne you should have your seed today also

HAPPY

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 29, 2013
9:55 PM

Post #9402141

Yes Shaun, I have mine too...they are soaking as I write...

The Schlossburg x pink aurea seems to be the fastest grower OS, I wonder if it will be the same for us..

Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9402756

Hi you happy campers ...sorry to be MIA, but I was a bit off colour yesterday, one of my rare headaches that send me off to bed in a dark room. I have been stressing about some family members of mine up Bundaberg way, but they finally have been in touch last night to say they ok.

So glad to see you happily planting up your seeds, looking forward to doing the same with mine when I receive them.

I have to catch up on my work today so I am off, will pop in later.

Have a lovely day !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9402893

Popped back in to say,
they are here !

Look for something in the mail for you next week Jean and thanks again.

HOORAY

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 30, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9403320

Soaking in the tub ! ^_^

I will soak for 2 days, then plant, nervous but happy !
The rest will go into the fridge for late Winter /Spring planting.
Can't wait to see them pop.
The Brugs are starting to sniff Autumn on the way I think, after all that rain, the sticks are sprouting fresh green leaves,
If the bad heat stays away, the little buds are starting to come through on the more sheltered Brugs may get to bloom.
I have missed my beautiful Angels so much this Summer, I can't wait for them to come back to me.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9403357

Is it allowed for U.S. and Australia to share plants? If so, I'm game!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2013
12:23 AM

Post #9403399

Sorry Karrie no we can't. It is against the law here without all sorts of expensive restrictions and dramas. So
just about impossible for the hobby gardener. I wouldn't even try.
Very tough customs here.

chrissy
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2013
1:47 AM

Post #9403412

thank you Crissy! Had to ask so that I would know...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2013
2:47 AM

Post #9403425

Yes sorry mate, we drool over the International ones too.
We started buying the seeds from over the Pond and have started to reap great rewards from those seeds.
It's second and third generations we are starting to grow out now. We crossed some of our older tough ones (we didn't have a huge quantity to cross, but they were good tough ones) to the beautiful hybrid crosses etc and in the next two or three years ours will be awesome too.
Take a tip from me, get a couple of good breeders and buy some great seeds, then have some real fun .
It's very satisfying to grow your own from seed, each one is unique and most are exquisite.

chrissy ^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9404269

Sent to me in an email ...had to share (I added one at the end)

Share the Insanity

1 At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer at Passing Cars..
See If They Slow Down.

2. On all your cheque stubs, write 'For Marijuana'

3. Skip down the street Rather Than Walk and see how many looks you get.

4. Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat,with a serious face.

5. Sing Along At The Opera.

6. When The Money Comes Out The ATM, Scream 'I Won! I Won!'

7. When Leaving the Zoo, Start Running towards the Car Park, Yelling 'Run For Your Lives! They're Loose!'

8. Tell Your Children Over Dinner, 'Due To The Economy, We are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go.'

And The Final Way To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity

9. PICK UP A BOX OF CONDOMS AT THE PHARMACY, GO TO THE COUNTER AND ASK WHERE THE FITTING ROOM IS.

I am adding this one :

10 Grow Brugmansia out from seeds ...hundreds of them !

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9404353

Black sky/ rumbling ...bye enjoy your weekend ...puter turning off now.

chrissy
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9404390

My first try with was seeds - and yes, it was very rewarding! I was "hooked"!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2013
9:32 PM

Post #9405559

Well it has been a very quiet start to 2013 ...due to the weather !

We have had some great moments ...like meeting Wayne's glorious new Brug.
Hopefully with a sniff of Autumn in the air we may see some more Brugs making their debut .
Don't forget the lovely oldies though (our first loves ).

Wayne we would love to see more pics of your latest stunner.
We have moved on to Feb and hopefully some great Brug baby pics ...all those darling little seedlings getting ready to nudge out of the corks. We need them to get a good root system going before the cold comes along.

Feb thread is to be found here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296539/

Thanks everyone for your input and great pics !

chrissy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America