AuthorContent

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9372647

I had two on the camera though, but after coming home and seeing them on the computer and comparing them with the guide, I think I got them settled. Now it is just a couple water birds. We were floored to find water as we've been below freezing for awhile now. But the state park has a hot spring that feeds into the lake and there is some sort of pump that keeps the water moving.

In the first picture, the one is a Greater White-fronted goose and the other two seem similar, but their bills are darker. The two guides I look at did not mention that the younger ones might have darker bills. In all other ways, they seem Greater White-fronted, so I just want to make sure they are not something else.

In the second picture, is that a Common Goldeneye with the Mallard?

Thank you for your help and Happy New Year!

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

January 1, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9372689

Here is another. It was swimming in the same area as the one we think a Goldeneye. Is it a young or a female Common Goldeneye?

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9373187

Pic #1 - three escaped farmyard geese; left two derived from Greylag Goose, right hand bird derived from Chinese Goose (Swan Goose)

Pic #2 - yep, Common Goldeneye

Pic #3 - Lesser Scaup

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

January 2, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9373230

Well, I've been goosed. :D I had no idea they were a domestic variety. Maybe I can put them on an oddity list.

I didn't even look at the Scaup in the guides. Thank you.

Yesterday, we saw 31 species (minus the domestics) on the first day of the year. That's better than last year. By day two of 2012, we were at 22.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9373312

Chillybean wrote:Yesterday, we saw 31 species (minus the domestics) on the first day of the year. That's better than last year. By day two of 2012, we were at 22.

I'll be starting a 2013 lists thread shortly over on the main BW section ;-)

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America