CLOSED: No Raptors This Time

(Zone 5a)

I had two on the camera though, but after coming home and seeing them on the computer and comparing them with the guide, I think I got them settled. Now it is just a couple water birds. We were floored to find water as we've been below freezing for awhile now. But the state park has a hot spring that feeds into the lake and there is some sort of pump that keeps the water moving.

In the first picture, the one is a Greater White-fronted goose and the other two seem similar, but their bills are darker. The two guides I look at did not mention that the younger ones might have darker bills. In all other ways, they seem Greater White-fronted, so I just want to make sure they are not something else.

In the second picture, is that a Common Goldeneye with the Mallard?

Thank you for your help and Happy New Year!

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
(Zone 5a)

Here is another. It was swimming in the same area as the one we think a Goldeneye. Is it a young or a female Common Goldeneye?

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Pic #1 - three escaped farmyard geese; left two derived from Greylag Goose, right hand bird derived from Chinese Goose (Swan Goose)

Pic #2 - yep, Common Goldeneye

Pic #3 - Lesser Scaup

Resin

(Zone 5a)

Well, I've been goosed. :D I had no idea they were a domestic variety. Maybe I can put them on an oddity list.

I didn't even look at the Scaup in the guides. Thank you.

Yesterday, we saw 31 species (minus the domestics) on the first day of the year. That's better than last year. By day two of 2012, we were at 22.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Chillybean :
Yesterday, we saw 31 species (minus the domestics) on the first day of the year. That's better than last year. By day two of 2012, we were at 22.

I'll be starting a 2013 lists thread shortly over on the main BW section ;-)

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.