Vermont Castings Montpeliar Fan Problem

Huntingdon Valley, PA

the right fan on my wood insert started making a loud scraping noise, I took the fan out of the unit to clean and found that the plastic fan blades were all broken up, it looks like it might have melted, although it doesn't seem to get that hot down there - not sure why Vermont Casting would put plastic fan blades on a $4500 insert???
I did order a new fan from my dealer but Has anyone else had this problem?
Dave

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I don't know about your particular model but broken blades on a blower typically come from over rpm or vibration. The melted look may be from the blade being rubbed against the housing after it broke. The friction will heat it up enough to melt it.

Why plastic. Most likely cheaper and the temperature limit is most likely what the bearing in the front of the motor will take. Theoretically you could make a plastic fan blade or blower wheel quieter because it could be a more complex shape.

Huntingdon Valley, PA

Here is a photo of the fan I took out of the blower.

Thumbnail by turbofire
Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Weird. I see where it looks melted, The rest looks like it sucked a rock through it.

Lincolnia, VA

i'm glad for you that you were present when this was occuring and didn't cause a horrible fire and possible loss of life there. good luck on those fronts always be aware if you leave the house while fire is burning, ease it back a bit before you take off.

Huntingdon Valley, PA

I did write a complaint into Vermont Casting, but it seems like their"customer service"department does not at exist.
I am burning the stove without the fan and it does a decent job heating up that room but it's hard to get the warm air into other parts of the house even with free standing fans. They say my replacement blower will be in towards the end of the week of Jan 7.

Huntingdon Valley, PA

Well I got a new blower and I am having problem hooking it up, there is a green(ground) wire and 2 black wires coming off the blower, I have a green(ground) coming from the power and a white and bla.ck coming from the fan control switch. so 3 wires from the blower vs. 4 wires on the unit, I don't think one wire was left unplugged .
HELP!
my # if that is easier - 215-659-3853
Dave

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I missing where the fourth wire is. You have listed a White, Black, And green from the unit.

Huntingdon Valley, PA

There is a black and green coming out of the stove, a black and white coming from the switch. 2 blacks and a green on the blower. From our labels when we removed, it looks like black from stove to black on switch. The white from switch is labelled to go to one of the black on blower. Green on stove obviously goes to green on blower. There is one extra black wire on the blower, and no more wires to attach it to. See diagram attached. Thanks for your input!

Thumbnail by turbofire
Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Ok your are missing a neutral from the stove. The black from the stove to the switch then to the blower should be the hot side. The other black wire from the blower should attach to a neutral, which should be white if they are following convention.

To say it another way. you need two wires to carry power, one of which goes through a switch, the other goes straight to the blower. The green wire is to connect all the metal parts together and then connect it to the earth ground in the entrance panel. The neutral wire is also connected there in the box,, but DO NOT connect the loose black wire to the green even though it will turn on and run.

Huntingdon Valley, PA

We found the missing wire, it had curled back up inside. It is white and we have attached it to one of the black wires on the blower. Incredibly difficult to get in, the blower and the switch barely fit in that space! All seems to be working now. If I were to buy one of these again, I would have them show me the fan housing and ease of replacing parts before purchasing.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm glad that you got your stove working again.

Huntingdon Valley, PA

I think the problem started when the blower sucked up a hot coal that got stuck in the fan and melted some of the plastic blades. I bought some metal screening and cut it to size to cover all the intakes, hopefully this will keep coals from entering the blower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.