Photo by Melody

Brugmansias: Anyone know a reliable source for saunguinea?

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 7, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9373105

My seeds last year didn't germinate. Do you think that a smoke primer would help germination?

Check out these babies. They are Rosalie X Marshmallow Sunset from Sommergardens. They're gonna be gorgeous! I Got Marshmallow Sunset cuttings at the same time, but none of them rooted. I think I'll wait another month or 2 and try again, it's one of those gotta haves. I got Monika and Angels Exotic around the same time and they are growing happily. I still have my seedlings of the sphaero crosses I got from Alan Hurstwood last spring. They didn't grow much (they're only about 18") but they're still alive and looking good so I'm really happy. Nothing blooming in the basement except my Christmas cacti and they are beautiful! I have a Thor Alex cutting with one bloom that will open any day now, can't wait! Going out to check the greenhouse this afternoon, I have a couple smaller brugs out there, ones that I thought should have grown more than they did so I didn't to put them to sleep. I was so busy last summer that alot of my stuff didn't get the attention they needed. Hopefu1lly that won't happen again.

Happy New Year everyone, hope all is well!

Thumbnail by roxxanne   Thumbnail by roxxanne
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9378250

roxxanne, if the seed is fresh, the germination rate is almost 100%. You might have received some really old seed. One thing you might want to do before planting any more seed is to invest in a florescent fixture. If you don't want to invest in grow lights, get a 2 light fixture and put in one warm and one cool florescent light bulb. Your current babies are in need of more light.

I saw a B. sanguinea offered recently, but don't remember which catalog it was in since I went through quite a few. If I come across it again, I'll let you know. Do you have a way to keep it cool all year long? This is one Brug that does not like temperatures over the mid 80s and generally won't bloom if the temperatures are over the mid 70s. They like San Francisco style weather. If you don't have that, you are going to be disappointed because they can die literally over night in hot weather.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9378303

Supposedly, these DG members have this Brug. for trade:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90/
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9386845

Thanks for the info betty. We're a little warmer than SF here, the summers are usually in the 80's, but I do want to give it a try. I have some other sphaero babies I grew from seed last spring. They made it through the summer ok, I really babied them. My babies, from above, are in a window, I guess our sun this time of year isn't very strong. I'll give the light a try if I can find a place in the house where the cats can't get to them, that won't be easy. I might put them in the greenhouse after I transplant them. I just wanted to keep them in the house as long as possible for the constant warmth.

Kay, thanks. The vendor with seed is out of stock and the members look as though their seeds are old. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled. I might give ebay a try again, just not that same vendor. they are off my list now anyways, I bought alot of passiflora seeds from them too and got extremely poor germination.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

January 20, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9391055

roxxanne -- I recently purchased some seeds from a seller on eBay and they are beginning to germinate, so they must be fresh. The sellers name is paradise_found_412. He currently has some listed for bid. they're listed as "(5) Seeds Borracherro Evil Tree Red Brugmansia Angels Trumpet." Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Seeds-Borracherro-EVIL-TREE-RED-Brugmansia-Angel-Trumpet-SANGUINEA-/400393360760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d394dd578

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9393371

Thanks Dale!
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9414049

Got some seeds from bozzoli95437 on Ebay. 8 out of 10 seeds have sprouted already. WOOHOO!
Also got some Strophanthus Petersianus seeds from theplantattraction, 4 out of 6 seeds have sprouted so far. It's going to be a good year!!!! Sommergardens will be open again in a few days, can't wait!! Alan at husrtwood brugmansia is feeling better, is blogging again, and has seed available . OMG, I need more money!!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 9:01 AM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 8:08 AM
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

March 14, 2013
11:48 PM

Post #9449864

Sommergardens (Fred) changed their reopen date... again. Now the end of March.Some seeds available on Ebay. Happy Hurstwood is up and about. Maybe I will get lucky and he will take some time to answer the emails I sent to him!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America