Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: JanuaryHOPE for the New Year!!

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 154, Views: 899
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9373125

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289685/#new

It seems that we have another opportunity to express our hopes for the New Year. Tell us what your hopes are for the coming year.

I am borrowing this from a friend of mine, Vicki, on another internet forum:
"My HOPE is that I will practice what I preach - enjoy more sunrises and sunsets, laugh more, enjoy the moment, and I always hope and pray that those I love are blessed with peace, health, and safety."

You ladies are included in that group of "those I love". :)
Hugs to each of you!!

I'm including this photo of the decoration we have had on our front porch all during December because we can all use more "JOY" in our lives!!!

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 12:00 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9373166

Marilyn thanks for the new thread and I am sorry to hear that your New Year day was spent feeling so bad!!! I hope you are feeling better now!!! You are so right that the world needs JOY!!! With that it would be so much more enjoyable to go anywhere. I'm looking forward to 2013 and even though the country is in such turmoil, I pray that will all settle down and it be a prosperous and yes, joyous experience for us all!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9373214

Thanks, Jeri, I am much better now--on the mend, for sure. I agree with your hopes and prayers for the New Year.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9373235

Marilyn sorry about your food poisoning. That was what I was afraid of during the power outage as we had to eat out every day. We were very careful about where we went and tried chose places I thought would throw away the old stuff away. But you just never know!

For 2013 I plan to just continue to enjoy life! One thing that really struck me about 13 years ago is how God puts the right people in my path! I was going through a really stressful time and he put some people in my path and put me in some places that really helped me deal with the stress and were the kind of people I needed to be around! . I've been very conscious since then that he has continued to do that in my life! I am happy content and pleased with my life although it's certainly not perfect! With age I've learned to let go of a lot of things! When we are younger we think we have to have all this '"stuff"! Then you reach my age and realize that not only do you not need it but what in the world are you going to do with it! I've also learned there is very little you can actually control. Just go with the flow and see where it leads you and enjoy family and friends! Those are the important things in life!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9373276

I have to agree 100% with you Charlotte!! I have found that the most important things in life are family and friends. I pray that I can be the type of friend to each of you that Yall have been to me!!! If I didn't have this fourem to vent some days, I think I would explode!!! You are also right about our needs and priorities. My need is to down size and clean out the clutter and hope to achieve that goal this year.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 2, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9373405

You all are right about "stuff". I finally got Jerry to clean out his clothes yesterday, he had 2 garbage bags full of things he doesn't wear any more. It sure made a difference in the closet ! I usually throw away and organize closets and drawers in Jan, but did a pretty good clean out already. I have been giving things to a lady that yard sells for a living.
I love my tech stuff, and I bought 8 new towels from Kohls sale, they had their "big one" on sale from 9.99 to 2.99. Now I need to clean out some raggedy old towels. When you live in a metal box there is not much room for storage.
Family and friends are the important things, Judy is not doing well, I wish I could help her, but I know she has to work through her grief. She is still coughing, says she feels better but has a horrible cough.
How is Ashley feeling, Jeri? I hope this year is the healing year for her. She is so young to be so sick all the time.

Marilyn, just noticed the title of the thread !!!! We do need HOPE and we need to HOPE in The Lord ! Great title

This message was edited Jan 2, 2013 4:58 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9373441

Sandra I do like my tech stuff too!! LOL I gathered up a car load of clothes a month or so ago and took them to two different resale shops. Of course I have ended up buying some new stuff this winter but at least I got rid of a lot of my old stuff that I wasn't wearing.

I have a few really nice pieces of jewelry but I just don't wear my good jewelry any more. I had a necklace I thought my DIL might enjoy wearing so I took it out to her when I went Christmas. I didn't give it as a gift. I just handed it to her in a zip lock bag and told her it was eventually going to be hers anyway so she might as well start enjoying it. I will probably give her more along. I have given them several things for their house (furniture and china) that I knew they would enjoy but I can certainly do without. So I am trying to gradually start passing some things along. Why wait until you die!

Sandra being a good friend to Judy is one of the best things you can do for her. I'm sure she knows how much you care for her and that you are there for her if she needs you. Like you said there are some things you just have to work through on your own. Every person is also different in how they handle grief. I have a good friend named Judy too and we have been close friends for over 30 years. I know she would do anything for me and she knows the same about me. It's a great comfort just knowing you have someone you can call on for help if you need it.

Also Sandra as tattered as your old towels are there are people that can use them. I have a friend that collects old towels like that from people and gives them to homeless people.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9373475

Hello and Happy New Year again y'all! Thanks for starting the new 'Hope' thread, Marilyn. Sorry you had food poisoning and glad you are better.

You are all so right about setting all these new goals for 2013. I'm so glad I have gotten to know many of you better this year! It has enriched my life to meet you all and I hope to meet more of you this year. It does mean a lot that we can converse on this forum. Sometimes I think we are able to convey our thoughts better on paper once we can sit quietly and type them, rather than unload verbally. It's better to have a sounding board of like-minded friends who won't judge, but will listen and care about us when we need it the most. Jeri, you are right about that!

I have to go back to work tomorrow and I am NOT looking forward to it. I do use this time of year to clean out, purge, and straighten up things around the house, and I have been busy. It's been so nasty outside, I guess that's what I was meant to do this year. Yesterday is my usual day to watch some football and clean out the file cabinet and shred stuff and that's exactly what I did half the day. The rest of the day I was still putting away stuff from Christmas and clearing out closet and attic space, breaking down boxes and throwing away. I don't know that you could tell I did much, but I do have a couple of closets and some drawers that look a lot better, and we made a good haul to charity (Goodwill and the Habitat Re-Store) before Christmas.

Charlotte, if you lived closer, I would start selling off some of my old stuff I've held onto all these years. I somehow was left with a bunch of my grandmother's and mother's old stuff and it's still in boxes in the attic. Maybe one day I'll just open up a booth here and try to sell it, lol! I also don't know why I hold on to a bunch of my crystal and stuff when we hardly ever use it and I'm sure my kids don't want it either. Probably will sell off that stuff one day too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9373549

Sounds like several of us use this time of year to clean out!! I have 3 full size professional file cabinets plus 2 more two drawer file cabinets. They have got to be cleaned out!! I started shedding stuff last winter and never got it finished! So rather than get this years stuff mixed in with the old I've been putting it in a big bag which is now overflowing! Rather than shred I burn mine in the chiminea. Much faster when I finally get around to it. I did a bunch of painting in the house last winter and didn't get all of my cleaning out done. As a matter of fact I still haven't gotten the space behind my big china cabinet painted!

Elaine I have a bunch of really nice crystal that belonged to Richard's mother. I don't use it and have just been keeping it for his daughter. I tried to give it to her and she doesn't want it!!!! Said she doesn't have room for it! Don't know what I'm going to do with it! I hate to sell it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9373623

Elaine forgot to say that sometimes I think we just need to hang on to things just for sentimental reasons. My mother died in 1996 and I have some of her kitchen things that I will never use and are certainly not valuable but just needed to hang on to. I'm just now to the point that I'm ready to let some of it go. I also have a pair of lamps that I got when I was in the 7th grade to go on my dresser. I have a lot of memories around those lamps. My dad took me shopping for them and embarrassed me to death by making a real scene (at least in my eyes) by having the manager come to the register and he tried to sell the shades back to the store! I didn't want the lampshade that came on the lamps and he bought me two new shades. That was so my daddy!! Amoung the kitchen things I've hung on to are things my mother used every day and I can just visualize her using them when I look at them (a red aluminum pitcher she kept tea in and an aluminum cake cover). I also have a whole box of recipes she had clipped from magazines and some she had hand written. I'll never use the recipes but again that was so "her". Everyone in the family wanted some of those clippings with her hand written notes. I have her old wooden biscuit bowl and I'll never get rid of it! She always kept flour in it and when she made biscuits she just added the ingredients and more flour. I have even written a note and taped to the bottom of it so my son will know what it is! All to say that maybe we don't have to be too strict on ourselves in getting rid of "stuff".
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9373671

I hear you, Charlotte. I would never get rid of those 'sentimental' things. My brothers and I split up several of those types of things and I treasure those and even use a few of them. My mother was the same way with clippings and she clipped recipes all the time, even tho she didn't try all of them she had them all over the place. She also had loads of hand-written recipes and we treasure those especially.

Funny thing...Earl has been cleaning out his files, and he finally gave up trying to shred it all and threw it all in a big bag and said he's go burn it on the burn pile! We do burn a lot of ours too when we burn. It's been so wet lately we haven't had a chance to burn anything, including all the Christmas trash. I told Earl today I don't remember when we've had such a gloomy Christmas season. It has been rainy and cloudy the whole time I've been off.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 3, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9373918

I had to smile when I was reading your post, Charlotte about the sentimental things, I saved several handwritten recipies from Mamma's some were here's and some were Gunny's. I put them into a page protector and wrote a note explaining what they were, they are in the drawer with my cookbooks. I found this on Pinterest right before Christmas and I do plan on doing this for Amanda and Cayla, with one of Mammas handwritten recipies.
http://blog.spoonflower.com/2012/07/turn-recipes-into-tea-towels.html

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 3, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9373922

Glad you said that about the towels, I was planning on throwing them in the ragbag, but I know you are right, someone could probably use them. They are like my old chair, so worn, I am just about embarrassed to offer them to anyone--lol ! If Richards daughter doesn't want those things and Richard doesn't care. Why don't you sell them and maybe put the money into the granddaughters college fund?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9373940

Sandra that's a great idea for old sentimental recipes!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 3, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9374020

Marilyn, so sorry you started off the year sick! That is no fun! There is a very severe strand of virus going around here where people have been really sick - for about 5 days. It is really taking a toll on everyone! Food poisioning is no fun either... it can be very dangerous too!

Sandra, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of the tea towels with the recipe on them! :) I was just telling Jessica this past weekend about a couple of my Mom's recipes that are in my recipe box that I use all the time,but they are actually in her handwriting. Unfortunately, the paper has stains etc where I have used them over the years but hopefully I will be able to clean them up and get them printed. I will need to get on that right away... can go ahead and get those done for Christmas presents for next year (well, this year I guess... can't get used to it being 2013~)

Charlotte, you are so right about the stuff! Since my Mom died, I have tried to USE more of my stuff... and if I am not going to use it I have tried to get rid of it. Can't say that i have been totally successful with that because I still have a lot of stuff from my Mom or Leigh's Mom that I think they kids might can use when they get apartments, etc . But I am not as prone to "saving" special things and never using them. I have china that I got when I married that i have NEVER once used in 30 years! I have threatened several times to put it all on ebay for sale! I knew i would never use it but my mother in law INSISTED we register this expensive china! total waste of money in my opinion... but, the things that I do like, I am more prone to actually using instead of saving them for a special occasion. I cleaned out stuff from my Mom's that I know she had "saved for a special day" that never got used...some things I had never seen before and had no idea where they came from such as old quilts etc. I decided then that I wanted to have things out to see or use instead of hiding them away for my kids to get rid of after I die. I am not 100% successful with that yet, but I am way closer now! I have numerous closets to clean out and an entire garage to clean - but I haven't gotten to them yet. :( I hate to even THINK about trying to clean up the study. I will need a burn pile too! ... Maybe soon. I still want to finish my foundation planting and get that done before i tie into something else, but it has been so cold and overcast that I haven't worked outside in a couple of weeks now! By the way, I love the idea of selling the cystal and putting into a college fund, but you might save one or two special pieces for the granddaughter to have at her wedding...?? sell the rest and help fund an education. Richard's mom would probably approve of that use of her items...

The idea of using the old towels to help someone else is awesome too. And if you have some that are really bad, they might could be cut to make wash clothes out of. Also, the animal shelters are always looking for old towels and bedding to help keep the animals warm in the winter time. I heard a plea on the news just the other night trying to get more items when the snow hit LR - because they were having a hard time keeping them off the concrete. I use my old towels for rags to clean too... and Leigh uses some out in the shop too. We retired some last year that we had used for 30 yrs! They were just a little thread bare! :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9374217

Genna get that china out and use it girl!!! Nothing makes a meal more special than pretty china! When I had family for Christmas or other special occasions I always set the table with a pretty tablecloth, china, crystal and silver! My DIL does the same even if it's just the 5 of them. My grandsons can tell you what china they will eat Easter dinner from! When we celebrated richard's granddaughters birthday last month we drank sparking cider from champagne flutes. Something I started several years ago and really looks forward to it! Makes the occasion really special!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 3, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9374223

Genna, if you read all the directions, her papers were stained and she cleaned it up in Picasa, I am not very good with picture editing, but think I will soon give it a try too. Amanda made Mammas pink lady cake that she always made for Christmas, this year. She and Pat were arguing who had the original handwritten one--they both said oh but mine has stains all over it-----I have a copy she made me in her handwriting, so gave one we found to Amanda.
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 3, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9374256

Yeah, I did read that - not sure how much my stains could be cleaned up but I'll see... Mine is just one Momma wrote out for me quickly one day as I was leaving for my house and Alex asked for her Chess Pie recipe. But I treasure it because it is in her handwriting...something that is fading in today's society! I have letters that my oldest brother wrote me while he was serving in Viet Nam, and I said when my nephew was serving in Iraq that now all the correspondence is by computer. Makes it simple but we are losing the history for future generations. But then MAYBE that generation will have less clutter than I have at my house!! :-)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 3, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9374303

Yes, I got 2 new jump drives in today to store photos on.
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 3, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9374354

You will fill those up fast with those babies! :)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9374385

I really liked the link to the tea towels. If I start now, maybe I will have some Christmas gifts by next Christmas! I would think you could make other items like pillows or have them framed as well if you did it just right??

I would probably leave some of the 'stains' just as they are and not make them so pristine. But that's just me.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 3, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9374634

Me too Elaine, I thought the same thing, we know they are old already anyway ! You can order the fabric and make anything you want, it is high but it would be something original for sure !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9374690

I'm like some of the other's of you, I like the old yellowed stained look because that is actually how it looks!! You can also actually print on fabric with your computer. Of course it can only be 8 1/2 by 11. But you can buy freezer paper in 8 12 x 11 sheets (they sell it at Hobby Lobby in the fabric section). You iron batiste fabric on to the freezer paper. You have to be sure and trim very carefully around the edges. You don't want any lose threads or for it to hang beyond the paper size. Then you just use it like you would a piece of paper and print directly on to the fabric. Once printed you peel the fabric off the paper. I put some designs on some white linen guest towels I have had for a long time. I just used the pellon fusible that is sold by the yard to fuse mine on with. You could also zig zag all around the edges to make it more secure. Just go to pinterest and do a search for printing on fabric and it should bring up the information.
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 4, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9374990

There are sheets available from other sources that are larger as well. and you can make your own - but it does supposedly matter WHICH type of printer that you have. My printer "rolls" each sheet of paper as it prints it - it is really best if you can have one that feeds straight into the printer without rolling it. I was looking at printing photos on cloth though which is a lot finer detail.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9375047

My printer is a HP and is probably about 4 years old. I've printed designs that are similar to photos. I have a friend that has used the same technique and printed photos of dogs that turned out really good. My printer want take sheets larger than 8 1/2 by 11. You can buy another type sheet that already has the fabric attached but it is much more expensive.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 4, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9375174

I figure by the time I buy the ink and the other things I need, I would be better off just uploading mine !
I hardly ever print anything anymore, I just done have the need to print now that you can use so many free sites to save thing. I have Zoho document app, I use Picasa app, photobucket app, and also have a cubit I save recipies at. I have several print cookbooks that I enjoy leafing through from time to time, but I really enjoy taking my Ipad to the kitchen when I cook something !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9375385

They have a tee shirt transfer that I have used but it reverses each object so it probably won't work on the receipe cards.

How did we function before the Iphones and Ipads?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9375436

I actually do print a lot of stuff. But what I print usually has to do with my antique booth. I print digital images on card stock and use as price tags. I also make bookmarks, note cards, etc. I was printing the fabric digital design to put on linen towels I already had and needed to do something with. I was doing it for resale so I needed to use the least expensive option available. I do like to look up recipes and just take my ipad in the kitchen. I do print out some things I know I will be continually using. And I sometimes modify things and prefer to make notes on paper until I get it the way I want it.

What I want now is a new air printer! You can print from your iphone or ipad with it. They are not expensive. My son has one and he said he paid around $100 for it. I have also found that the ink for the newer models of printers seems to be less expensive. I had several printers I got rid of just because they were older and the ink cost too much. The printers were fine. Somehow I seem to collect printers!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9375612

Whoo! I did not realize I had not been here for two days--you ladies have certainly been "chatting it up"! LOL
When I moved to Harrison two years ago, I sold or gave away a LOT of "stuff". I had to psych myself up to get rid of all of it, but once it was gone, it was a big relief, believe it or not. I did keep a few things of sentimental value for myself but most of the "family heirlooms" such as my mother's dining room set and an antique brass bed, I gave to my son. My daughter didn't need any of it--she already has some of the family furniture. Those items I gave to my son are currently in storage but hopefully he will have a place in this coming year that will be big enough to accommodate them.

I still have two afghans which were crocheted by my grandmother and I do use them. They are precious to me and I feel "warm fuzzy" thoughts whenever I use them. I also have some handwritten recipes that were my mother's as well as one typed in purple ink which I know had to come from my grandmother because she was a free-lance writer and always used purple ribbon in her typewriter. I am going to check into doing the printing on the tea towels. Thanks for posting that link, Sandra!!

Well, my hubby just came in and said he was ready for supper. He has been cutting up a dead tree which he felled earlier today so he is not only hungry but tired so I better get busy!
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

January 5, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9376701

Happy New Year everybody!!!! My hope for the new year for myself, family and friends: Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him. What happens to us may not be what we wanted, but there is always the opportunity to grow in closeness to God and strenghten our faith. And Charlotte is right. He puts people in our lives at times when we need them. They may or may not stay in our lives, but they will always be a part of it. For myself, I have found new friends by being a gardener. I have also had the wonderful blessing of re-connecting with childhood friends and cousins this past couple of years.

I have not been on in a while. As you know from Charlotte's post we had THE snow storn with no power for a few days. Finally decided to get back on my computer tonight and had to uninstall and then reintall the wireless adapter program (I have an old computer). It kept saying I was connected but my wireless Jetpak said I wasn't. Whew! That took some patience -- something I don't have a lot of with computers!

Ya'll are talking to the sentimental queen here. I have tea towels, depression glass, old crocks, baskets, dolls, books, quilts, antiques. Does anybody have one of those bridge table linen sets? You know, the small square tablecloth and 4 napkins? I just got my mother and grandmother's silver plate flatware. There are a few pieces missing, but I have found where I can get replacements so I will have a set of 14. I can't get rid of all this stuff because they are valuable and they hold good memories and I hope to pass them down some day. Just like the hand written recipes. My Aunt Mary Lea ALWAYS typed her recipes (letter too) and I have a couple she sent me that make me smile evertime I look at them. Of course I am a cookbook addict too. Can't help myself. I just love to read them.

I have china, crystal and sterling. I used to use it every chance I got, even when my sons were pre-schoolers they got to use it too. I actually used the crystal and silverplate Christmas morning for brunch, along with the "Christmas" plates! Made that orange juice taste great.

My big hope for the coming year --- get that awful garage cleaned up!!!!!!!

Remember, Spring is just around the corner.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9376793

Sarah I don't just have one bridge cloth set, I have several!!! And from time to time I actually use them! I've used them on my dining table over a table cloth on the diagonal. I love to create centerpieces for the table just by going through things I have and seeing what I can come up with. I have a whole box of old linens that I don't intend to part with. Some I use - some I just like to get out from time to time and look at the beautiful fabric, cut work and embroidery. They don't make things like that any more!! I also have a collection of old linen cocktail napkins. They all have roosters on them. All different kinds of roosters - all embroidered.

My Aunt Duck also ALWAYS typed her letters! I have some she sent me that like Sarah said make me smile. She was a very fast typist but didn't take time to correct her typos and that's one thing that actually makes the letters dear to me. That showed so much of her personality!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2013 11:24 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9377477

Good to see you posting, Sarah!!
I have one of those bridge cloth sets, too! My aunt made it back in the 1940's, I think--not sure exactly. She embroidered butterflies on them with french knots inside the wings of the butterflies. I used to use it on the diagonal on my mother's dining table but I no longer have a dining table (just a breakfast table and it is round). As soon as I can find Al's camera which we always seem to be hiding from ourselves LOL I will take a picture of the set and post it here.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9378880

I've got a new thread started for the Chat and sign up, other threads will follow soon!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293166/

for the Midsouth RU at my house June 1st.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9381109

Happy New Year Everyone!!

So glad to be back! Whew! I am divorced as of yesterday, still have a long ways to go though.

I still have very little of my grandparent's stuff, my mom has a lot more, but I sold most of it when I moved from CA and by then the sentimental value had worn off, and since I have no kids or nieces or nephews to pass this stuff down to it felt like I had released them and actually lifted a big weight off of my shoulders. Since I have been going through my divorce and had to leave my house I have received some of it back, but I know there are forgotten items, hopefully they are still there when I get there. Right now I'm focused on rebuilding my life and as soon as I get over this flu/pneumonia I am going to start enjoying it! Maybe I won't have to work two jobs much longer, my temp job is about to run out of time anyway. I do know that I can't wait to get to my house and dig up some plants that I am going to take with me. I have no idea how things look out there and ... How would you all like to have a party at my house probably in February sometime??????

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9381133

Glad your back Christene! I know it is a relief to get the divorce behind you !

I was planning on posting something later this week. I was planning on doing a luncheon on March 9 . Kim is going to be gone most of Feb but will be back by then. But if you had rather have it that's fine with me. Are you going to be able to keep your house?
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9381820

Crissy, great to hear from you, and a very Happy New Year to you! Glad to hear the divorce is behind you and that you are moving on. You sound like you are more than ready to move forward. Hope you do get over the illness soon. From what I've heard on the news this flu is bad, bad stuff. Take care of yourself. We know you're strong!

I'm finally going to get my flu shot today (yes, I've procrastinated all winter). I know it takes a week or 2 for it to take effect, and I'm just hopeful I don't get exposed in the next week or two.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9381965

Welcome back, Christine!! I know you are glad to get the divorce behind you so you can move forward with your life. Divorce is the pits but I know in my case that, once it was over (back in 1980 from my first husband), it was like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

I would love to be able to attend a luncheon with you central AR girls but it is just too far for me to drive for such a short time. Unless I can also arrange a visit with my son and other relatives in the area the same week-end, it is just not feasible for me. I'll just have to wait and see how things work out.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9382067

Charlotte yes, I get my house 100%, free and clear. I want to dig up my plants before I put it up for sale, and would love to host a dig party/luncheon since I've never hosted before and have always wanted to. The big problem right now is, per court order on the decree he has through Monday at 11:59pm to get his belongings out, I have a court order so he can't come back unless he wants some real trouble. He's already living someplace else and I have no idea what he's taken, what he hasn't, or if he'll go back between now and then, or what the house even looks like as I haven't been there since mid October. I'm going to file for a quick claim deed to get him removed also, then I'll have my house free and clear. He's still threatening to sue everyone, me for his labor to keep up the acre we owned here in AR, labor for fixing up my house in CA from 2004-2006 (we were engaged and he didn't have a job and so he fixed my house up with me paying for materials, said he would never come after my inheritance, but apparently it was his plan all along to try to get it) and his lawyer because he has bills that need to be paid. It's a very sad situation but I'm muddling through it still and will be alright.

I was going to say if you all want to, and I have some appliances left in the house lol, let's get together and have a dig out!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9382173

Glad that finally all worked out for you!! I know you've been through a lot!
I hope the house is not trashed too bad!!

I think March 9 would probably be a good date for you do have the luncheon, if that date would work for you. You might see what everyone thinks about that date.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9382354

hi all,
was just lurking here on your fine thread and enjoying all the comments but wanted to add that animal rescues and humane societies can always use clean old towels. it's always one of the first things on their wish lists.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9382386

Just to bring you all up to date. My cousin Leigh has been taken off the transplant list for now. She has been transferred to a hospital in Ruston. She is very weak and is going to have to build her strength back up before she can be put back on the transplant list. I believe she is basically in rehab. Need lots of prayers to get her back on the transplant list.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9382457

That is a great idea for the old towels and they also love bath mats. Really glad to have you join us Deb!!

Charlotte I'm sorry for the set back with Leigh. All that travel can't be good either for her. On a good note. Did you grandson get in? Enjoy your time together.

Our rivers are all flooding around here. My house is fine but transportation is really crazy trying to get from point A to point B.

I have to say thanks to all my prayer warriors!!! My grandson that I raised quit high school and is working at a big crane co. He was doing a home school class since August and got his diploma during the New Year holiday and just got his book with the union and a hugh raise. Just in time b/c they just found out that I'm gonna be a great grandmother now. It's starting over with out even a breathe in between!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9382487

Jake gets in tomorrow afternoon. Then we're going up to Crystal Bridges Art Museum Sun for a couple of days.

That's great news about your grandson Jeri! Bet you're excited about being a great grandma!

Been trying to get the house straighten up. Things have been a mess with me being gone, then without power for 5 days. With all the snow we were tracking snow, leaves, pine needles - you name it in the house. The 5 days without power I just concentrated on trying to keep everyone warm and fed! Hard to do anything else without power!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9382651

Charlotte; sorry about this latest news about Leigh. Hopefully, she will be restored to the transplant list soon!!
I know you and Jake will have a great time together--you always do. :)

Jeri: congrats on your grandson's diploma and huge raise! Also, congrats on the upcoming great-grand!

Christine: your "dig-out" party reminds me of when all you girls came to my house in Cabot in January, 2010 and dug up plants when I decided to move. (hard to believe that was 3 years ago!) I was glad to see the plants go to ladies who would love them and take care of them. I may have to re-consider and come down to your place that day. I can always stay with either my "other daughter Michelle" in Benton or with my sister in Little Rock. It would be a good way for me to catch up with the DG group and other friends and relatives. :) Be sure to let us know the day for certain, as soon as you decide.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9384468

Charlotte I've missed about what's going on with your cousin, wow, praying she builds up strength and gets put back on. I have a friend in CA who is on the heart and lung transplant list, so far he's doing very well on his medication, but it could reverse at any time, he has pulmonary hypertension.

I will let everyone know asap, that's for sure! I'll have to see about my second job that I go to all the time and forgot about, it's a temporary position that's supposed to end the beginning of February but if they ask me to stay I'm going to, then I'll take that Saturday off lol.

Jeri congrats to your grandson and the upcoming great grandchild!! How exciting! So glad you're not flooded, you've had a ton of rain down there.

Marilyn that's been 3 years!?!? Holy toledo how time flies, I was thinking it was in February or March of 2011. My goodness!

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9385332

Crissy

Good news on the house hopefully it'll be in better shape than you think but one thing is for sure people do craaaazy things in a divorce:) And sometimes for a looong time afterward. Hopefully since you don't share children he'll be easy to shake off and get rid of.

It was good to see you at Christmas at your 'other job' you make that sound so mysterious but I'll vouch for you that it doesn't involve a pole or anything HAAAAA!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9385378

Christine I'm like you I was thinking we were digging at Marilyn's in early 2011!

My cousin has sarcoidosis with lung involvement. She has been ill for a long time and has had other problems such as a stroke several years ago.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9385621

Jeri, so happy to hear the good news about your grandson and congrats on the coming great-grandchild! So exciting to hear! I hope everyone your way is not being flooded. We've had flash flood warnings and watches for several days now.

Creeks and roads in several counties are flooded and trees are down even in a few spots in Huntsville. We are fine but it was dicey driving home last night with heavy rain just before dark. I'm sure glad I didn't work late and have to drive home in the dark, which I hate even when it's dry. Because they expected possible icy conditions, they delayed school openings this morning, but it was all ok.

Charlotte, I hope your cousin will improve so she can get back on the transplant list. Must be a long road ahead. Hope you're enjoying your grandson's visit. I saw your FB post where he picked up a nice banjo!

Marilyn, it does seem like just recently! How time flies!
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 15, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9385665

Time does fly for sure! Been swamped at home and at work ...work this time of year with all the year end and new year stuff really loads me down, but thankfully it is beginning to ease some! Crissy, it is good to see you posting! Glad to hear that you have the divorce behind you and hopefully after Monday, you will be on to a new chapter in your life! Do you think you will be moving to LR after you sell the house?

trackinsand, glad you joined in with us here on the midsouth! Hang around and join in often...we are a close knit bunch and have lots of fun here!

The kids left to go back to college - Kyle on Sunday evening, and Jessica yesterday about lunch, so the house will be quiet and empty again, but I hope to get on a list of other projects! I finished the duvet cover for Alex and Natalie that I was working on except for adding some ties, but I took it up last Thursday to them because she was having 10 girls come visit on Friday and Saturday. I pinned the end where the ties will go and it looked fine. I would have had it finished by the time that Natalie had gotten home (I had my machine with me) but I thought it was too long and had planned to take the addition I had to put on off and shorten it...but she said she liked it fine oversized and would prefer it not be shortened. So, had I known that I could have just finished it!! But,now I have a duvet cover to make for Kyle's dorm room but thankfully it will be super simple (at least that is the plan) and some pillows to finish for Jessica's room. Haven't worked on my foundation planting since before Christmas because of the colder weather, but I have stocked up on more cardboard and collecting paper so hopefully I will be ready if it warms up a few days. We have had a lot of rain too - which we really needed and thankfully most of it has come slowly so that it can be soaked up...the river is rising of course, and the creeks are getting full, but hopefully it will keep coming slowly and we can avoid the flooding! It has been so terribly dry before this! I know ya'll are going to think I am crazy, but I still don't have my tree down - just kept planning to do it this day or that and there was always a conflict - poor stark tree looks pitiful standing there but it is coming down tonight! :) Then maybe I can get everything cleaned back up and be back to normal...whatever that is! We had to make a run to Arkadelphia last night to get some lumber out of Jessica's room that was from a loft that was taken down. The loft belonged to one of her former roommate's friends, and since the roommate dropped out of college and went home, the loft needed to come down so she could bunk the beds and save space. Tonight, I am planning on getting that tree down, having leftovers for dinner and collapsing in my chair! I don't feel like I have had a break in days and days! :)

Well, break time is over...(first break I have even had in weeks!) but I better get back at it...still have lots of stuff to do to be caught up for the new year! Hope everyone has a great day!

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9385825

Hahahaha Karen! That's hilarious! Yes, it's a very mysterious job! I saw Debra not too long ago too, she said HI everyone!!! I think I posted it but I'm not sure.

Oh Charlotte, that's horrible, I'm hoping for the best for her.

Genna you are one busy gal! Sheesh!! It is good to keep busy though!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 15, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9385935

I though you were working at an escort service----HA HA HA HA.

We are expecting an ice storm here this afternoon, I hope we don't wind up without power like Charlotte went through !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9385944

It's sleeting here now ! We've had both sleet and snow. School has been dismissed. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow but hope we don't lose power again! I keep looking at the pine trees to see how much is accumulating on them! Going to be a stay at home day for us!

Christine having a mystery job makes it more intriguing!!! LOL
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9386501

hey everyone been down with the flu since the first tough to get over. We got hit by the ice storm yesterday and today. School is out. I had Audrey yesterday before they dismissed school. Today and tomorrow and Fri I have Luke since there is no school. They are out Fri for some reason, so they won't get much school in this week. He's staying over . We have had so much rain the ditches are over flowing and the rivers are rising.

Charlotte sorry Leigh is not better. Sorry your grandson is coming when the weather is not cooperating.
Jeri congrats on both grandsons. Tell Mary we are keeping her in prayer.

Genna slow down girl life is passing fast.

Trackinsand Welcome to Midsouth.

Crissy good to hear things are coming back to normal for you.

Hope all of you in line of the ice are snug and warm.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 15, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9386563

So far we have stayed at 34 all afternoon, who knows what the morning will look like but the roads are ok now

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9386570

I'm glad you are feeling better. That flu has been rough this year!!! I know you are enjoying your grands.

Thanks Cindy!! I am so proud of Chris. I know you remember his struggle to get that diploma and it is living proof of a miracle IMO!!!

We are at 22" of rain since Dec. 1. The animals are lining up 2 X 2.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9386595

Cindy sorry you've been down with the flu!!! Hope you're feeling better. I probably shouldn't even mention it but I haven't had even a cold in several years.

This was a nice stay at home day today. Slept late and ate all our meals late today. Jake and I went to the grocery store late this afternoon and he could see the problem!!! He can't understand why people don't just stay at home!!! LOL

We're getting out tomorrow and do something. Not sure sure what yet. For one thing we'll probably go to some art galleries.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9386879

Same here, Charlotte, and I hesitate to even say it or write it! I finally got my flu shot last Friday, and I feel like I'm living on the edge since it takes about 2 weeks for it to fully kick in. It scared me to hear all the stories about people lining the halls of the hospitals though. And here they are even asking people not to visit people in the hospital unless they absolutely have to do so.

Cindy, sorry you've been down with it. I'll be happy to see this weekend coming. We get Monday off and most of us plan to leave early Friday after a big briefing we have to give at noon to 1:00 to our big boss. Not sure what we'll do as it will depend on the weather.

Jeri, I hear ya! If God hadn't promised he wouldn't flood the earth again, I'd sure be worried right now!

My DGD's middle school team won their basketball game last night 38-7. They have one more game and then play in some sort of middle school tournament next week and I think they are the #2 seed. Wish them good luck!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9387077

Yea today is the last day of the rain. They took it out of the forecast completely for tomorrow and the rest of the weekend.

Congrats to your DGD's basketball team. I say this with a broken heart for our team but it seems Ala. RULES!!! LOL!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 16, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9387430

Wow Jeri, that is a LOT of rain! I know ya'll were probably bone dry before that...i am sure you could have used part of it but it would have been nicer spread out some. Hopefully you can dry out for a while! BTW, I forgot say congrats on expecting the great grandbaby! I know that must be exciting! How has Ashley been doing? I haven't seen anything about her lately.

Last night, I just worked late and let Leigh come by and pick me up. It had been drizzling and sleeting all day and I knew the river bridge (which is a high arched bridge) would be covered and I didn't want to try to drive the suburban over it. So, he came and got me and brought me back to work this morning. But, on our way home we noticed two very large oak trees, probably at least 16" each are leaning really bad out toward the road. Their roots have already lifted on the back side, and when they come down they will go across the road for sure - hopefully there will not be anyone close by! They will take out the power lines as well. I have called the county shop today to try to get them to check it so hopefully no one gets hurt!

Congratulations Elaine on the basketball game! Good luck to them in the tournament!

Cindy, sorry to hear you have had the flu. I had my flu shot and I sure hope it works! I spent 3.5 hrs in the clinic with Jessica on Dec 20th, 4.5 hrs in the ER with Kyle on Christmas eve night/Christmas morning, and then another 2.5 hrs in the hospital last Friday waiting on Jessica to have a hiatal scan on her gall bladder... I figure I have been exposed to every germ in Ouachita county! There is a lot of nasty respiratory stuff going around and several stomach bugs ... I hope they ALL stay away! :-)

Jessica has been sick for several weeks - and they started trying to figure out what was going on on the 20th when we were there... now Monday on the day she returns to school they call to say she needs gall bladder surgery and WHEN do we want to schedule it?????? :( I had been trying to tell them that IF we were going to need surgery we needed to do it before she returned to school - now I am not sure how we are going to handle it. No breaks until Spring break in March and I am not sure she will be able to make it that long.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9387485

Goodness Genna gallbladder problems must run in your family!!!! Kyle just had his out and not Jessica needs hers out!! Both are also so young! Hope she can get it taken care of soon.

Has Leigh gotten anything worked out about his job. Haven't heard you mention anything about it lately.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9387487

LOL!! Genna!!! Thanks!! I was absolutely appalled when the 1st great niece and nephews were born then it seemed like I blinked and now they are having kids which made me great great aunt Jeri. Oh my, this is unbelievable!!!! Now a great grandmother!!

I really hate to hear that Jessica has been sick. I'm glad at least, they were able to diagnose her problem. Can they give her a diet for the gall bladder to help her make it until she can schedule the surgery?

Ashley went back to the Dr. 1/8/13 and the Dr. said that the upper GI test that she had done, confirmed his previous diagnose of gastroparissis. The muscles of her stomach are paralyzed or real slow in moving. She is taking Baclofin, 3 times a day, prilocec OTC 2 times a day, and Miralax every day. She also has to limit fat from her diet. She has to eat small amounts 5 times a day so I am living in the kitchen. She had been doing good and then yesterday morning, out of the blue, she threw up.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9387490

Jeri glad that you at least know what Ashley's problem is! Sounds like something she is just going to have to learn to live with. Sounds kind of scary!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9387507

Yes that is what the Dr. thinks since she has had it for so long. The diet may change depending on what makes her more comfortable.

Jim is having the dye test and stints put in on 1/30/13 and then he goes 2/7/13 to have 2 squasm cell skin cancers removed. One is by his eye and will require re-construction. So if it's not one of them at the Dr. lately, I'm there with the other.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9388266

Sheesh Jeri that's horrible, I'm so glad they figured out what is wrong though, some things we just have to live with I guess.

Genna that always happens, nobody pays attention, nobody cares, they just do what they do and everyone is supposed to just react to the schedule they want, nobody works or goes to school or anything, we all just sit around waiting for them to do and say something. During my UTI battle with antibiotics, I was on my second round of Augmentin 875mg twice a day and it was making me sick, so the doc prescribed me a medicine that gets rid of the nausia, BUT it makes you drowsy. Now I had told them I work 2 jobs, how can I possibly work when I'm all medicated up??? They just gave me a blank stare. Unreal.

Elaine Congrats on the game!! I'm hoping they go all the way!!

Cindy I know exactly what you're going through with that flu, it is absolutely horrible! I still have the cough and a lot of chest congestion and I caught it on the 2nd of January!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9388560

Thanks everyone for the good wishes for the playoffs.

Jeri, y'all have a lot going on with the health issues. Glad they finally got to the bottom of Ashley's problems, but it still sounds like something that isn't going away, darn it! No fun with you living in the kitchen, either.

And you too Genna! My goodness, if it's not one thing, it's something else!! I hope Jessica gets better or is able to find a break somewhere when she can have her surgery.

It's been a crazy day here. I finally headed home around 1:15 today and it took me almost 45 minutes to get home; normally it's 20-25 minutes. But mostly that was because of all the traffic trying to do the same thing. The sleet was pretty bad but the roads really weren't bad yet, but by the time I got home it was snowing really hard. Glad I left when I did. But about an hour and a half later the snow quit and the sun came out for a little while. Supposed to be cold tonight so there may be black ice tomorrow. Don't know yet. Some schools are closed already tomorrow, so will wait and see if I go in on time tomorrow or not. We've got a big briefing at noon, so I really need to go in to help get everything ready.

Stay warm everyone!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9389096

Jeri hope Jim's procedures go well! My DIL had a skin cancer of some type taken off next to her eye back in the spring. She had to have two procedures. One to take it out and then she had to have reconstructive surgery. Turned out to be more involved than she had expected but it turned out fine. You can barely tell where she had the surgery.

Elaine it sounds like what happened here Tues! Sleet started falling and all the kids were already in school. Around the middle of the day they dismissed school and the fun began! The sheets were slick because it had not been falling long and had stuck to the pavement. Then it seemed every body in LR headed home. Major traffic jams everywhere on very slick streets! It was taking people 2 and 3 hours to go just 2 or 3 miles!! Crazy! But it seems to happen every time we get those conditions. Everyone panics because they are not sure how bad it's going to get. By the middle of the afternoon the streets were starting to clear and the people that waited until the normal time to go home didn't have any problems!!!

I've been using online banking for a long time but I've discovered online deposits and love it!!! Some of you may already be doing it but I was kinda hesitate to use it for a while. But with it I can do all my banking from my recliner!!! I know a lot of companies pay by direct deposit but I get a several checks from different sources each month. Now all I have to do is choose deposit in my mobile app and it brings up a screen that asks me to take a picture of the front and back of my check and then select the account I want it to go into and type in the amount of the check. I click submit and into my account it goes!!! No need to go to a bank!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9389115

Elaine that's exactly what it did here last Tuesday, took me about 45 minutes to make a 20 minute drive because of sleet. It got to 45* the next day and I had already taken the day off to reclaim my house so it all melted.

Speaking about reclaiming my house and the luncheon and all, here's the scoop: He left half a bed frame with the box spring (queen size,) his dresser, a big pile of clothes in the middle of the master bath, the refrigerator, the lift up coffee table, an old "antique" dresser thingy, a huge floor to ceiling wall mirror, and the computer desk. The only damage to the house is he broke in through the back door at some point in time and busted the door frame, so I lucked out there. It is dirty, he took ALL of my yard equipment and my grandfather's tool box and tools, so I have no big shovels, hammers, rakes, nothing, just the stuff that I got through ya'll in door prizes. I do have some stuff I took when I left in storage but I think I just have a couple of little hand shovels.

My lease is up on my apartment and I have to make a decision if I want to keep it or not by the 26th of this month (January.) I could move back into my house slooowwwly and I would have to be out of the apartment by the 1st of March. If I don't let the apartment go I'm in it for another 6 months and I don't want that, however, the apartment is A LOT closer to both jobs and from my past experience from being a Realtor it's easier to sell a vacant house over a lived in house, so I am on the fence with that, and I think that the pros and cons equal themselves out.

If ya'll want to come over on March 9th I am all for it, but we may have to bring our own chairs, there is a good possibility I won't have anything to sit on except a coffee table and 4 dining chairs LOL If I don't keep the apartment I'll obviously have it furnished. I'll keep ya'll up to date on that.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 11:43 AM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9389118

Charlotte I have been thinking about online deposits and have never done it because my State paychecks are direct deposit. My Hobby Lobby paychecks aren't, but they go on a prepaid Visa card. I wonder if I can transfer the funds from that into my bank online... hhhmmmmmmm

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9389187

Christine glad that you just have dirt to deal with and not a totally trashed house!!! What if we do plans for the luncheon this way. Let's plan on you having it on March 9. I'm sure everyone can bring something to dig with. But if for some reason something comes up and it's not going to work for you to have it we can use my house as a back up plan. How does that sound.
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 18, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9389583

Crissy, glad to hear things weren't really torn up - I was really worried what all he had done to the place. After dealing with renters, I know what some people are capable of! :(

Jeri, I am thankful to hear that they finally have a diagnosis for Ashley, but hate that it isn't something that is quickly remedied. Is there nothing more than can do except medicate the symptoms? I had never heard of it until the first time you mentioned it. Sounds like you are going to have your hands full for the next several months! Hope all of Jim's procedures go well!

Today was supposed to be Leigh's last day of work but they have given him a VERBAL '30 day extension' because the woman in HR that is supposed to be trying to match him up with jobs "has just been too busy and hasn't even had a chance to look at the options" !! I will refrain from saying what I think about that, but just leave it at that she has a job! We have no idea what will happen next. He had to take his 3 floating holidays last week, and 3 of something else this week because they will not pay him for those days if he does lose his job. They will pay him for vacation. Rumors are flying about our plant as well - not in the immediate future but our jobs might be in danger a couple of years out so now we definitely not sure where we should try to go!

It has been a bad day here with negative news arriving from different directions and I am just ready to sit down and zombie out for a while!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9389647

Genna it's sad how South AR is dying. It's a hard place to make a living anymore. El Dorado has continued to lose population over the years but seems to have more employment options than Camden. I worked in Camden for about a month several years ago and it was very depressing to me. You could just see a dying town. Sorry to hear that your company may also be making some changes. However when you work for other people no job is ever guaranteed! Hopefully they will be able to find a match for Leigh. If they do, it may make it easier for you all to make a decision to move knowing your company could be making changes also. The unknown is always scary but you just have to have faith that things will work out.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9389729

Genna it does sound kinda negative with all that news floating around. The fear of what will be is usually always worst than the actual outcome. I pray this for you also!!!

Yes, I am very thankful for the diagnoses. Now we know what direction to go in at least. Ashley is having a few more days without as much discomfort. It seems like I don't leave the kitchen before she is back hungry again. We're trying to get the right combination of softer food or food chewed better and liquids so that it will pass easier thru the intestines. The articles that I have read about gastroparasiss the people that made comments had been suffering with this for over 12 years and they had not figured it out yet.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 18, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9389742

Maybe the HR lady will keep being busy--at least you get 30 more days of work ! I know you just want it over though. Has been a rough week around here, all these weather fronts coming through have kept me grunting and groaning for a couple of weeks now.

Crissy, glad the houses ok
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 19, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9390789

Leigh did a job offer...it is downtown LR. We didn't find out until today because he was off yesterday. He has until Monday morning to tell them yes or no. He will have to sign an agreement to live within 40 or 50 miles of the central office... Not sure what we r going to do because short term the rent would eat up a lot of his salary and that is assuming that we could sell our house and other property here ... So many unknowns...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 20, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9391061

Genna, God will give you the answers you need, be still and listen to Him
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9391264

Genna, Sandra is right. Pray for guidance and the right decision will come to you. I know that isn't much time to make a big life decision. Talk it over as much as you can and with the kids too, although it's really you and Leigh at this point. We're with you, sweetheart!

Crissy, glad you're house is ok. Sorry he took some things like the toolbox that had some sentimental value to you, and all the tools too, but at least you can clean up dirt! Is there anything else he was supposed to leave or that you could get back if you wanted it? Or had you already gotten most everything you wanted? I hope so!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9391719

Genna you can't loose with Sandra's advise!!!
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

January 22, 2013

Post #9393445

Hi everybody! Haven't been here in a while. Had to vacate the house when the power went out. Missed a whole week of work, now I'm BEHIND!!!! Hasn't the weather been up and down this winter? Worked in the yard Sunday without a coat it was so warm. My sons and I cut down the yaupon holly tree that the ice and snow destroyed. Corner of the house looks naked now and there's a 6 ft. high pile of limbs curbside. Opportunity now to make it better!
Today, the temp is in the 30's with warming later in the week. Is it a wonder that everyone is getting sick?

Jeri, sorry to hear Ashley has gastroparesis. Researchers have developed a nerve stimulator to help with the digestive process. I don't personally know of anyone that has one, but may be worth looking into.
Being fair skinned, I have to watch out for skin cancer too. I had a place removed from my shoulder almost 2 years ago. It was pre-cancerous, so I was grateful. I have to go back every year to the skin cancer specialist and get checked head to toe.

Crissy! Good to hear from you. So glad you got your house back. Hope there won't be much work except the cleaning and repair of the back door. Too bad about the tools though.

Look forward to seeing everybody in March. Love DG, but seeing everyone is better!
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 22, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9393450

Thanks everyone. Leigh did accept the job in LR - but the job that we THOUGHT it was all weekend was incorrect, so we were scrambling Monday morning to try to find out more information.

Back in Nov, shortly after Leigh learned that he was being severanced - an AT&T employee who was a former student (Leigh taught Electronics out at SAU Tech for 10 yrs before going to work for AT&T) called him and told Leigh he should contact his boss. This guy covers all of south arkansas doing something called Paragain (not sure if that is spelled correctly). He said his boss was looking for someone else in So Arkansas, so Leigh called him. Although he WAS looking for someone in So Arkansas, he said he wouldn't be allowed to hire that way! :( So, he told him about 6 positions that was going to be posting "soon he hoped" in NLR...and that IF he could get one of those jobs then maybe eventually he could move him to So Arkansas. Leigh is a Communications Tech - those positions are called Systems Analyst I believe. SO, when it came time to make our decisions about which towns to list, NLR was one of them hoping that maybe he would be offered one of those jobs.

About a week and a half ago, a woman named Pat called Leigh up and told him she wanted him to "pick her job" so that she could retire. Pat works Paragain as well, BUT her job title never got changed from Communications Tech to Systems Analyst! She told him just to tell HR that was the job he wanted because she was ready to retire to her cabin and relax. Leigh told her he had NO say so in what job he got, but only had to deal with what HR offered him. We knew going in he only got 4 chances at jobs. IF he gave them 4 No's - then he would be terminated with no severance package. Well, this weekend once he got offered a job and we went about trying to figure out which one it was - and WHO might be next on the list if we declined this one, etc. One of the jobs he was really interested in was several people down a seniority list so we were fairly certain that he would never be offered it. Then, because LR was not actually ON our list, and they were offering a job IN LR, we weren't sure WHERE the next offer might be!! So, we finally made the decision that LR would be better than Paragould and some of the other possible options. We also came to the conclusion that he would never be offered one of the Paragain jobs in NLR because the job title would be different, and the ONLY way he would be offered a different job title is that IF there were fewer than 4 communications Tech's with voluntary severance requests in place. We figured the odds against that were slim, so we just opted to take the first offer.

Then when Leigh got to work yesterday, he learned that it was actually Pat's job in paragain that he was being offered!! But, that BECAUSE her job title was still Comm tech that they could offer it! He immediately called her supervisor that he had talked to back in November and the guy had known all last week that Leigh was going to be offered the job. He says that after "he is trained and passes his safety training" then he PLANS to move him to Camden so that he can cover all of SW Arkansas! Once I found that out I was estatic! I just felt like God had worked out all the details because if that woman's job title had not remained a comm tech, he would have NEVER been offered that job. That paragain division is the ONLY division that is trying to add people in So Arkansas!! I was so happy and so relieved.

There are some negatives of course ... he will have to drive hundreds and hundreds of miles per day, he will have to work out in the weather instead of working inside :(, he will have to learn to climb poles and go in manholes - he is more concerned about the manholes... but at least he isn't looking at having to do this for 20 more years or so. All we need is another 2.5 - 5 yrs. We aren't sure how much longer he is working, but we would like to have the kids out of college.
But, at least now, IF they are able to move him here like they say they want to do, he will be driving their vehicle from Camden and we will not have the expense of him commuting back and forth to Magnolia every day. They do have to work more overtime, but I told him that the first 10 hrs of each week of OT just meant he was getting paid for the commuting time he had been having. I doubt very seriously if they average more than 10 hrs per week. Of course, I realize there will be times when things happen and he might have more, but I dont figure he will average more.

At least for now, this means that we will not have to sell our house and move!! I can not fully express how much this means to me. Of course, there is always the possibility down the road that I may have to try to transfer to LR or something with my job if they start talking about shutting us down. But, I figure we can cross that bridge when we get there. By then, hopefully it will be far enough out that IF we have to move that Leigh can transfer or retire.

I just wanted to give you all an update and say thank you for all the prayers! I don't think I would have made it thru this stressful time without them!

Genna

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 8:14 AM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9393499

Glad everything worked out for you all Genna! Like everyone has been saying God works things out for us, if we just listen to what he is saying.

I went to Dallas Market Sun and Mon and had a great time. I decided to go down and pick up some things (order) for my booths. My friend from Arkadelphia went with me. We left real early Sun am and were there by 11 shopping. Then we shopped from 8 until the middle of the afternoon Mon. Getting back more and more to what I used to do except I will never ever own a stand alone store again!! I always sold a combination of antique furniture, antique accessories and new accessories, lamps and art work I also will not ever have booths in 3 or 4 different locations like I was doing before I opened the store. I enjoy what I'm doing and I am having fun and have enough sense to leave it at that!!! At my age fun is what I want to be having!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9393500

Good Morning everyone!!

Ladies I think that we should have the luncheon at Charlotte's and I'll try to take the day off to be there. I'll tell you what's up in this post...

Oh Genna I am so glad things have worked out! Whew!!!

Well my house WAS ok, it still isn't bad but we replaced the locks last Wednesday morning, took my next door neighbors out to dinner and he broke in about 2 hours after we got the locks changed. Called the Sheriff, he came out and wouldn't even take a report because he said, and I quote "Even though the Decree says he has 5 days from the date that it is served to him to vacate the property it's not recognized in the legal system until it's at least 60 days old, but usually it takes 90 days for the decree to take effect." I about hit the ceiling, a divorce decree that's signed by a judge doesn't take effect until 90 days after it's signed???? I don't think so. Anyway, he took almost all the rest of his belongings, including the refrigerator. He still didn't punch holes in the walls so that's a good thing. I had to pay my attorney and now my savings account that I had to prove was mine in court is gone to him. Funny, now he says he'll finish this bs for free, court again and all. He knew exactly how much I had in savings and he took it all, now I have nothing to fix the tile in my house, which now would be the perfect time since nobody is living in it, I owe last years taxes on it and now current taxes, and I am sick sick sick. When my attorney gets in from court this morning he is going to call the Sheriff's Chief and see what's up with not taking a report as that IS breaking and entering, then we're going to call the Prosecuting Attorney who I know personally and keeps swindling out of doing anything for me, then we're going to call the court and get another court date for the break in, the $5000.00 Dave owes me, and my quick claim deed.

On a much better note, since the lease is up on my apartment I went to the apartment's office on Sunday to see what my options are, I don't want to sign another 6 months but I don't want to move to the house either. They said that I can sign a 1-4 month lease since I've already done a 6 month lease. Knowing my savings is depleted I went to work yesterday evening and worried sick that since I am a temporary seasonal employee and the 'season' is over I can be let go at any minute. The store manager was closing last night and I told him what was going on, he seems to always be interested in my drama and loves to talk, we were both straightening up a shelf and since I can't handle this stress any longer I asked him if he was going to keep me on, he said Oh Definitely, if you'll stay. Then we started talking about pay... he said that the seasonal job expires in April and I will become a permanent employee at that time, I don't remember what pay he said lol I think it's $11.00 an hour. I asked about full time since I like that job better anyway, he said that right now if I was to go full time I would be at $13.00 an hour, and in April they're all getting raises up to $14.00 an hour, but there are no full time positions available right now. Now that's some ok money there, so I told him that when a full time position comes open I am very interested!! Even if I stay part time, knowing I have a job there for as long as I want it is a HUGE weight lifted and I can keep my apartment so I can fix then sell my house. I wish I would be able to go permanent this month, I really need that raise (part time seasonal temporary makes $9.00 an hour, I make $9.50 because I run a cash register and it pays more,) but beggars can't be choosers.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 10:12 AM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9393509

Sarah I had never thought of a tens machine. Thanks for suggesting it. I will call Dr. Alberty and check. I have 2 already if I can locate them. My oldest daughter, Terrie, had TMJ at 21 and after a 100 splints, braces and 2 surgeries they recommend PT and the first thing in PT was the Tens machine. We bought a cheap one at first but after seeing the relief that she received we bought a more expensive one. The Dr. told Jim once he heals that he must put on a SPF 15 or higher sun screen all over his body, everyday and if he is working out in the sun more often. I know you don't know my niece, Mary but her ex-husband, who is Jim's sister's son, just had his arm amputated right below the elbow b/c of skin cancer and this has put a fear into Jim. TG!!!

Genna I am so happy for Yall!! This was indeed an answer to all of our prayers!!! I hope that things continue to work out!!!

I know this gonna sound like bragging but we are gonna be 74F Thursday and 75F Friday. Mary & I spent all afternoon in the backyard Sunday just soaking up the sunshine. Mardi Gras is well underway here. My azaleas and lorepedulum are beginning to bloom and the lawn is green. Spring is almost here. I generally get my 1st sunburn for the Fat Tuesday parades and that will be Feb. 12 this year. Actually other than a day here or there we have hardly had a winter.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9393511

Hopefully you can get all this mess behind you soon Christine!!! Don't blame you for not wanting to move back into the house.

I'll start a thread some time today for the luncheon on March 9.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9393518

Jeri we did a cross post. My daffodils are up several inches. We have had weird weird weather. It has been very warm here also except for a 12" snow! and then a day of sleet and ice last week. But my back yard is still a disaster!!!! I have a huge pile out front and still the back is covered in limbs that need to be taken around. It's going to take me a couple of months to get the mess cleaned up. I'm going to have to take down a metal arbor that goes over a concrete table and benches. I did look at it and it is bolted together so I can take the bolts out to dismantle it. But the whole thing is covered in Carolina jasmine and Confederate jasmine so it will have to be cut way back.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9393522

I'm so sorry Chrissy!!! My divorce from Mikel was cut and dry. By giving him $5000.00 I received my house and furniture and car along with the payment books. I never even went to court or met with Mikel or anything. The lawyer handled everything. BUT when Mary & Allen divorced we had a real education!!! Check with Lowe's you may be able to finance the tiles and get any pointers you may need on how to do it, to boot. Then you could do the work now and then execute the American way, pay later.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9393553

Whoo, I am waaay behind. You ladies were correct--my digging party was in January, 2011--not in 2010.

Big hugs to all you who have been or still are sick.

Christine, sweetie, I am sooooo sorry for all the troubles you have gone through because of your ex's stupidity and just plain "ornery-ness" (and that is putting it nicely). Big hugs to you, too.

Jeri--so glad you finally have a diagnosis for Ashley. Now, hopefully, the docs can help you and Ashley to manage the condition. You certainly have a lot on your plate right now. Keep us posted about Jim.

Genna: what a relief about Leigh's job! I know you feel as if a giant weight has been lifted off your shoulders!! I sure hope everything works out ok for Jessi's surgery.

My hubby, Al, had minor surgery last Thursday but he was just in the hospital overnight. I brought him home late Friday afternoon. He had a "roto-rooter" job done on his prostate gland and will be in fine shape once he recuperates.

Jeri and Elaine: you can send some of your excess moisture up my way. We were more than 14 inches behind in rainfall at the end of 2012. :(
Fortunately, we have missed any snow and/or ice--it has either been south of us or to the north of us but we sure do need some rain!!

I hope I can make it down to the luncheon on March 9th--will have to wait and see-- but it sure would be good to see all you ladies again.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 11:05 AM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9393572

Sounds like you need to make that luncheon a work day like Crissy!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9393584

That's a great idea, but the problem is I have the house and an apartment, so I have two water bills, two electricity bills, rent, the taxes on the house are past due, plus now I owe this years, I make $12.50 at my state job and $9.50 at my part time job that I'm getting about 15 hours a week at. Plus I have a student loan payment that's about to kick back in, and that's $278.00 a month, I've tried to refi it and it's very difficult to refi a student loan, not to mention my cell phone bill, cable, and food.

I have probably 250 mean and harassing texts that he's sent me the past 6 months plus a few voice mails, he listed the marital property for sale on Craigslist twice, sold a bunch of stuff in a couple garage sales and I have no idea what, my ATV was stolen at the shop and we got a check for $1800 he was supposed to split with me, he forged my signature on the check and stole the money (which is legal because we were married, even though in a divorce litigation,) he moved a woman and her 13 year old daughter in before I had moved out, his 2012 Honda Civic Coupe disappeared the same day his leg was severely burned and he told the insurance company I stole it but he never did file a police report and I am still dealing with that, I have had to fight for my savings account, retirement accounts, the house, all the vehicles, everything in the house, he was going to clean me out and he would not settle at all, no matter what we tried, so we went to court, he didn't show up, his attorney got beat up by the judge then relieved from the case at the attorney's request, said that no matter what he told Dave to do he would do exactly the opposite, and he lost his ass. Then he posts on facebook that I'm a mook and a theif. And it's obviously still going on, so I guess you can say I've been through complete hell the past 6 months. Now I'm wondering how much I'm going to have to pay to get rid of the piece of (*&(&.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 11:33 AM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9393678

Crissy I know it seems unfair but when Mary and Allen divorced. Allen didn't fulfill one judgement. The jails are so full that there was no place to put him so they always gave him another chance and he had no intention of settling it. The last time they went to court his attorney tried to drop him for non-payment and the judge wouldn't let them. I know it's little consolation but he has to live with himself and face our maker one day and that won't go so well!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9393816

Or as I put it "what goes around. Comes around"!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9393882

Here is the link to the thread I just started for the luncheon on March 9.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295020/
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 22, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9393912

You reap what you sow... some people unfortunately you NEVER get to see them when they reap it, but I have watched some people get theirs and it has not been pretty if you know what I mean.

Crissy, could you not possibly apply for a different state or federal job and get better pay? Praying that you are able to get all this resolved quickly! Sounds like he is going to be hard to get rid of...

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9393923

I have an aunt who did this same exact thing to me and my mom when my grandfather passed, she made the judge feel sorry for her and my grandmother and she got everything except the house. Wiped me out. After they won the case with me her husband said to me and my mom, "Now that we got this we're going to sue my brother!" He passed away shortly after and I don't think he ever got to suing his brother and she doesn't have the guts to do it herself. She is now 76 years old and in VERY bad health, diabetes, blood pressure problems, liver issues, bad knees, thyroid, all kinds of nasty stuff. She lives on a couple of acres that they built two apartments on, plus 3 garages, nobody will rent the apartments because she's screwed too many people over in the town of 200 people she lives in, plus she can't sell her house and move to something more manageable because she has a reverse mortgage (guess my grandmother's belongings weren't worth so much after all) so she's stuck, so yeah, what comes around definitely goes around, I am a firm believer in karma. One of her four kids comes over and helps, but she's in her mid 50's herself. My mom still talks to her, I don't have time for the hatred she shows toward me. That was in 1997 - 2000 and to this day she has not asked about me, which is perfectly fine!

THANK YOU CHARLOTTE!!! Sorry to interfere, thought it a good idea and fun but it's just not safe out there yet, and no telling when it will be.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9393928

Genna I have tried getting a different state job for 3 years, been on bunch of interviews, nada, and there are no fed jobs that I can do at the moment, everything is veteran nurse this and Psychiatrist that, I can't do that. I just need more pay and I have tons of experience doing a lot of things, nursing isn't one of them LOL
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9394083

Crissy, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this jack-axx for this long and are still dealing with all these problems. I believe in karma too, and what goes around will eventually come around. I'm glad from your posts it sounds like you're taking things in stride. Good luck to you as you walk through the rest of this muck and mire. At least your landlord in the apartment is sympathetic and will let you stay on until things get straightened out.

Genna, I'm so happy for you and Leigh! At least you won't have any worries about moving or selling your house for a while. God is so good! I'm sure you will be sleeping better this week. Now you can concenterate on other things.

Marilyn, give Al our best and hope he is resting ok. Wish I really could send you some of this moisture!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9394203

Waving to everyone!!! Just got through cleaning the house with my DD and I'm dead. Jim cooked a roast and gravy with potatoes, onions & celery. I made rice, mac n cheese and cornbread. Jimmy & Rebecca came up, Chris & Tori showed up and Terrie and Bre was here so the only one missing was Cameron.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9394465

Jeri, in my last post, I meant to say I wish you could send us some of your warm weather! Sometimes there's nothing like those spur-of-the-moment family times!

I have buds on some of my early blooming daffs. And we have a bird family, wrens I think, that have nested in our garage. Earl says there are eggs in the nest already. I don't know what we're going to do when we go skiing in a couple of weeks. He usually is home and leaves the garage door open all day. We see the pair fly out every morning.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9394571

I don't have a 'landlord' per say, it's owned by a management company and they go by the book that whoever wrote, they wrote that they will allow a 1-4 month lease.

Oh no Elaine, that's not good. You may need to hire a bird sitter neighbor to come over and open and close the door LOL

Marilyn hope Al is feeling better today!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9394645

A shame you can't consolidate those bills Crissy. It sure would make it easier on you. I think with that stress off of you it would be a whole lot better.

Elaine if I could box and sell this weather...we'd all be rich!!! LOL!!! After so much rain we are ecstatic ourselves!!! It is still too wet to even cut the grass. Is there a window in the garage? If so I'd just crack it a little and the little mother will find her way in or out. For security just place a dowel over the raised part and the top. The window won't go up any higher.

Marilyn, Jim had that done years ago and he said it was awful. Tell Al he has our sympathy for sure!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9394756

Thanks, Jeri. Al has a good friend who had it done a few years back and he told Al that once it was all over, he will be feeling good as new. Right now I am having a hard time keeping him from doing too much or lifting heavy objects, like firewood. Al is not the kind of guy who can just sit around and be a couch potato. He has to be doing something all the time. Right now he is out in his shop re-loading shotgun shells, which is an okay thing for him to be doing because he can sit down and do it and not have to lift anything heavy. He goes and shoots every Wednesday (but not today) at the gun club between here and Mountain Home. He is mainly into "black powder". We go back on Friday for his post-op check-up and to get the catheter removed. I don't know how long it will be before Al can drive again. I guess we'll find out on Friday.

Christine: What a jerk!! Charlotte is right in saying that "what goes around comes around". He will pay for his actions one way or another but the sooner you can let go of the bitterness toward him, however justified it may be, the better off YOU will be. ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Christine)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Elaine: I hope you find a bird-sitter. :) Enjoy your ski trip! Personally, I don't like the cold enough to voluntarily go out into the snow, etc. I would much rather be on a warm beach somewhere. :) but I am sure you and Earl will have a great time if that is what you all like to do.

Fortunately, we have had a very mild winter here with only a few days below freezing and no snow in our area. We are in an "up and down" cycle right now. Our high yesterday was 32F and the high today will be in the mid-50's but the high tomorrow will be back down in the 30's. Talk about yo-yo weather.
I, too, have buds on my daffodils. It sure does make me long for spring!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9395062

Yes you ladies are very correct, but I have to go after the money he owes me and the damage he did to my house when he broke in after the time to vacate was past. I'm broke, working two jobs, and have a house that is too dangerous to live in and an apartment to take care of and pay the bills for. I can't let him get away with forgery either, that's just messed up. I have asked 20 people what they're opinion is, all the women say let it go and all the men say to go after him, funny how it's split like that.

Jeri I know it, but I'm told that's not the way it works. I've heard that most attorneys want the money up front and in full, but what happens if we don't have that kind of money, and I'm not even sure if that is true.

Box the weather up! It's been warm here the past few days and I thought that it was supposed to get cold last night, but we're back up to the mid 50's so maybe it's tomorrow, they can't tell and I quit listening lol!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9395108

Crissy, Mary was able to pay so much down and then some each month. They may even take it on contingency that they get a % of what they collect. Don't give up!!! Where there is a will, there is a way.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9395192

I agree with Marilyn, try to let go of the bitterness as it will eat away at you. But I do agree with you that you should go after what is rightly yours!!! Sometimes we just have to stand up for what we know is right!!!! Also no one else is going to fight for us - we have to do it ourselves! Like Jeri said if your attorney wants all his money up front then shop around and see if you can find one that will take it on contingency or let you pay it out! Hang in there!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 23, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9395357

Jesus said turn the other cheek, but He didn't say to lay down and let a steam roller run over you! You do have to fight, even if you end up losing you will know you tried. I have been throug divorce and tried very hard to split all of the household items, even down to the towels and washrags. Six months later I was wishing I had taken everything, and left the whole house empty !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9395452

Marilyn forgot to say that I hope Al recovers quickly. I of course have not had the same surgery he did! But I had the mesh sling inserted to lift the neck of my bladder about 11 years ago. I was having problems with leakage when I lifted heavy things or coughed or sneezed. Anytime you have surgery in that area I think it takes a while to fully heal. A sensitive spot! The surgery was a piece of cake. I didn't even have to spend a night. Had the surgery in the morning and they sent me on my way by 2pm! But it took me over 6 months for things to settle down and get back to normal! I had begone to wonder if I had made the right decision to have surgery. Having a catheter in for a week caused lots of problems in itself! Caused me to have a UTI and took a long time for that to clear up. My doctor had said he could go back and make some adjustments if I felt it necessary after the surgery. But I felt I just needed to let things settle down and give it some time before I had any additional surgery. It did heal and everything is great (no additional surgery) but it was a very long 6 or more months!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 24, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9395756

Asking for prayers again... Leigh talked to who will be his new boss again yesterday trying to find out some more details ... did he have any idea when he would report to LR? how many months he might have to stay in LR? when he would go to Dallas for his training etc?? And the guy told him "I might have to crawfish on what I told you, not sure you will be able to go back to SO Arkansas!"... we are devastated! IF we had to move, at least he could have kept an inside position! Now, he is moving to an outside position where he will be out in the elements all day every day - will have to have a lot of specific stuff - such as certain boots, certain shirts, slicker suits, insulated clothes, etc... and to top it off the guy had told him on MOnday there was a clothing allowance to cover most of those things - now he says well, there is just a discount on the shirts that HAVE to be ordered thru the company! NO help on any of the heavy coat, boots, slickers, etc... I am just appalled that he mislead him so on Monday! There is NO REVOCATION of this job acceptance unless he is ready to go out the door. I know he ONLY took this job because he thought it was a way for me to stay in Camden and us keep our house and him get back there soon... now, I feel like I have been the cause for him to be banished to outside work when at least IF he was going to have to live in LR he could have been working inside! Please pray... i am so upset I didn't get any sleep last night and neither did he!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9395799

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Genna and Leigh)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
What a roller coaster ride! Prayers for comfort, peace and encouragement for both of you!!!

Christine, I didn't mean to imply that just because you should let go of the bitterness that you shouldn't get what is rightfully yours--you should definitely pursue your legal rights. Have you checked with legal aid to see if they could take your case? I know they have strict guidelines as to who is eligible but it wouldn't hurt to check into it.

Charlotte, When I had a hysterectomy back in 1986, the doctor poked a hole in my bladder. As a result, I had to wear a catheter for six months so I am very aware of the medical problems, not to mention the inconvenience, that wearing a catheter can cause. However, I managed to continue working every day, after the initial 6 week recovery period. Fortunately, I worked in a one-woman office and the bathroom was nearby. After 6 months, my urologist decided that the bladder was not going to heal itself so he went in and closed up the hole surgically. In 1997, I had to have bladder repair surgery again for the same reasons that you did. No, indeed---wearing a catheter is definitely no fun!! Al will hopefully get his removed when we return to the doctor tomorrow.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9395870

Genna so sorry!! You all are on a roller coaster ride!!!

Marilyn you sure have had bad luck with doctors doing things to you!!! Poking holes in your bladder and didn't another doctor cause a serious problem do to with your "heart"?????? Can't remember exactly what you said before.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9396013

Sandra I'm wishing right now that I had taken everything and not try to split the stuff. He's impossible to work with, is a big time bully.

My attorney isn't the best there ever was, he's pretty clueless about some things and not as smart as he thinks he is, but he's not the worst either. It's expensive to switch attorneys at this point, we have the decree, I won everything I was asking for and some that I wasn't, we have to get Dave because he keeps trying to get me. One of my coworkers had to pay $5000 up front to switch after getting her decree because her ex wouldn't leave it alone, and she had to switch as her attorney was dropping the ball and didn't have paperwork ready for her on time, and that was the cheapest she found. My attorney will fight, and wants to fight, for my rights. When my aunt was taking everything me and my mom had an attorney that refused to fight, wanted to settle everything, was a big turd and in CA you can't change attorneys in an estate case. I know this isn't an estate case but at least he wants to fight. Me and my mom lost that case and we ended up paying my aunt's attorneys fees and he wouldn't take payments either. Doug says we're going to finish it and he's going to do it at no charge, so that's fine with me!

Oh yes, I know about the catheter thing too, when I was 7 I had one in for 3 months due to major surgery I had to have from a birth defect. They are horrible!!!

Oh Genna!! How horrible!! If I were him and if I could, I'd bail out of that job and find a different one, they're just promising him crap that they can't do, his boss is probably still full of crap.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 24, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9396253

Oh Genna, so sorry they did not tell the whole truth, you shouldn't feel it is your fault though, a husband is supposed to do what is best for his family and Leigh knew that and that is why he took the job. Things will always look the darkest right before dawn, maybe a new day will soon appear for you.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9396352

Unfortunately Genna some times people make promises (actually something they would like to be able to do) but they don't have the authority to deliver. Sounds that might have been the case here.
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 24, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9396502

I realize that - but if the guy had said they might eventually be able to move him that is one thing, but to say that "as soon as you are trained, I am moving you to Camden and you will cover the entire SW section of the state for me" ...

I have literally been sick to my stomach over this. I just hate that he has taken a job that will put him in bad weather, more dangerous conditions, and force him to move... ALL other jobs that would have been offered would have been inside jobs! I just can't even express how bad I feel. I am trying very hard to believe that it will still all work out because I felt so sure that was our sign from God - if it was, I know it will work out. IF we misread it, it is going to be a long three years! We didn't get ANY sleep last night - so today we are mentally and physically exhausted.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9396545

Has he been with them long enough that he could go ahead and take retirement and then maybe do something like teach again?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9396581

Genna do you think once things settle down that Leigh could choose something else there at AT&T?
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 25, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9397055

Not sure Jeri... they have to have "time in position" which is a year normally before they can apply for anything else. They have said there is some form he can fill out so that IF any position comes open in South Arkansas that he would have first shot at it because he had been surplused from this area - well, first shot assuming no one else who has been surplused had more seniority. But, the likelihood of something opening down here is extremely low...every person who has retired or moved from down here in the last several years has not been replaced.

No, if he can not draw his retirement with AT&T until he is 65 because he does not have 20 yrs in with them.

I am trying hard to remain calm - not very successful at times - but I just have to keep believing that God has a plan and it will all work out as it is supposed to. Just at times I go into panic mode - not looking forward to living alone... :( Might have to sleep with a gun on my nightstand, but I will make it thru it. I appreciate everyone's prayers...

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9397073

Genna, still praying something else, like maybe an inside job, will come through. At least he will have a job, and maybe with time, he will be able to make a transition to something else. Neither of you should feel guilty. Like Charlotte said, the guy probably mis-led you with some promises he was not authorized to make and now has had to back down. Try to stay positive.

Crissy, same for you. We know you're doing your best. Hang in there and fight, girl, fight!!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9397094

Genna it will be fine, hang in there, everything works out the way it is supposed to even though we don't see it at the time. And things could change again too, this happens a lot.

Dave got served yesterday and tried to run from my process server. Where he's living I guess there is a long dirt driveway, I was worried that Dave wouldn't answer the door because I used this same server when I served him with my decree. Well my server was coming up the drive and saw Dave and his boss sitting outside. When Dave saw his truck he ran inside but his boss didn't. The server told his boss that he knew Dave was home because he just saw him run inside, so he had to reluctantly go get him, and he was served. What's really odd is I haven't gotten any 20 page length angry threatening to sue me whatever texts, I haven't heard a word! I'm worried because when he gets quiet is when he's up to something really bad.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

January 26, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9398176

Jeri, just to clarify -- a nerve stimulator for gastroparesis is different from a TENS.
The stimulator is an implantable device and the TENS is external. Still, be sure to ask your physician about it. Not sure if insurance covers it.

Looked out the window this morning and my neighbor across the street is moving!
Such a nice little family - hope the house sells to someone good like them.

On a happier note -- My oldest son Walt, who works for Baldwin & Shell Construction has been promoted from project coordinator to manager! My youngest son Lee has set his wedding for June in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands.
That should be a good trip. So Kim Duckmother, you won't be the only one going to paradise this year - LOL!!! I'll have to stock up on SPF 50 sun block for sure!!!!

The front yards in my neighborhood were filled with Robins, soooo . . can Spring be far behind?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9398336

Sarah congratulations on Walt's promotion!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9398357

Yes, Sarah, congrats on your son's promotion---and on the robins!!! Wow, a wedding in St. Thomas---wonderful!!

Charlotte, you are correct in saying that another doctor caused the problem which led to my open heart surgery but in his defense he was trying to do something to help abate the problem with the incurable lung disease==but only God could do that--and He did, for which I am very thankful.

Genna I will just repeat what the others have said and which you already know. You have a lot of faith and you know that even though you and Leigh are experiencing some very stressful times right now, that God will never leave you nor forsake you. Prayers for peace and encouragement and stress-free sleep for you both!!

Christine--the same prayer for you!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9398490

Sarah congrats on both sons!!!

I am grateful he did too!!! Marilyn that was put so pretty!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 27, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9399607

Aunt Polly joined Uncle Kenneth and her dear Mother in Heaven today, in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9399636

(((HUGS))) and prayers for your family!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9399856

Prayers for your family, Sandra.

Sarah, congratulations on your son's promotion and for your son's coming wedding. What a great trip that will be for the family!

Crissy, hope to hear from you again soon and that everything is ok.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9400121

Sarah congrats to your sons on their accomplishments. Genna as Marilyn so eloquently put it hang in there God may be out of our sight but we are not out of his!

Crissy hang in there times they will be a changing:)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9400393

Hi everyone!!

Thoughts and prayers are going out to you Sandra.

Everything's ok here! Just working up a storm that will be here tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be a nasty one, sorry, I didn't mean to work that hard lol
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 29, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9401060

So sorry Sandra. Prayers for your family...

Crissy, shame on you for working so hard and bringing in this bad weather! :-)

Sarah, Congratulations for both son's! A wedding in St. Thomas sounds beautiful! I know you will enjoy that trip...

Thanks everyone... I think at this point, he is seriously considering just not taking the job. Not sure... it is going to be so much expense for him to live in LR - I don't see how we can gain anything. Our only hope was that this job supposedly got "all the OT you want" BUT, now this new boss is cutting OT. We thought he could use the OT to offset the cost of living up there - guess that isn't going to work either. So, now we are even more confused over what to do. We are certain God has a plan - we are just completely uncertain of what He wants us to do. But, eventually it will resolve itself out I guess - meanwhile, neither of us has had any sleep. Needless to say things just look more confusing when you haven't slept! Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. This too shall pass -

If anyone knows of anyone in the NLR/LR area that might have a tiny apartment, garage apartment, spare room, or even a place for a camper trailer at a reasonable price, please let me know. You can dmail me with the info.

Hope everyone has a great day - and stays safe in the storms that are coming...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9401381

Genna praying that you and Leigh get some clarity and peace soon.

Spring is just around the corner!!! I have some daffodils blooming. More that will be opening up in just a few days. Camellias are blooming - pink and red. Forsythia is blooming. So are my hellebores. Also seeing some perennials starting to send up some growth.

I've spent the morning working on getting debris cleaned out of my back yard. I've FINALLY gotten all the big logs and big limbs hauled around front. I still have lots of green pine needles all over the place. I'm just going to put them in my compost pile. I raked some of the pine needles off the walk ways so I can at least see the brick and stone. It took me several weeks to get all the limbs picked up and it will probably take me several more weeks to get all the little debris raked up and into the compost pile! But seeing signs of spring gave me encouragement to get r done!!
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

January 29, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9402087

It has been a long time since I posted, but I have checked in on you guys often. I am sorry for the problems that are in some of your lives. Seeing God's will in our lives is sometimes hard when bad things are happening.
I like the saying "God never closes one door without opening another, but the hall in between can be h***".
Prayers and thoughts for you.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2013 10:04 PM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2013 10:06 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9402098

Glad to see you posting Janie! Glad you are going to be able to come to the luncheon in March.

My grandson Clint rides a unicycle and does a lot of trick riding with it. This is a video he just did. His brother did the filming. I posted it on FB so some of you have probably already send it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15jCqtFmFzI
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

January 30, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9402445

Thanks everybody for your congrats. I am SO fortunate to have both sons living here in Little Rock. They are and always have been (even in the naughty teen years) such blessings.

So sorry about your loss Sandra.

Marilyn, I must have missed your post! So hope Al is doing ok. Isn't it amazing that they have perfected that procedure so the hospital stay is just an overnight?

Genna - when things are bad for me, I just keep praying "Lord, Thy will be done." He has a plan for your life that only He can see - just let go and let Him work His miracles and give you the best He intends for your life. You can't beat that!

Janie! Haven't seen you in forever. Glad you are coming to the luncheon.

And Charlotte. I have no doubt that your garden will be gorgeous in March.

Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

January 30, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9402514

Well ladies. It's official. I am going to be a grandmother for the second time. Walt and Aunna are expecting Hunter's little sibling in September. All well at Doctor's appointment today. :)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 30, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9402631

Congratulations Sarah ! We needed some goodness on this thread !
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 30, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9402680

Congrats Sarah - it is going to be a big year for you!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9402937

Congratulations Sarah! Hunter is going to have such fun with his new sibling!!! Bet you will too!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013

Post #9403545

Congratulations, Sarah!! It is wonderful to have some good news. I don't think I mentioned that my niece (also named Sarah) found out a couple of weeks ago that she is having a girl! She is due in June, and they have bought a house in Huntsville and are pretty close to us. My brother and SIL (her Dad) live in Montgomery and the other grandparents are in South Carolina, so I'm glad there are some of us nearby who will get to babysit on occasion (we hope).

Sandra, Happy Birthday! Today is my brother's birthday too (the future grandpa). Lots to be happy about today!! Let's hope it continues into February.

We're leaving Saturday for our ski trip. Going to Park City, UT, one of our favorite places to ski, with 3 other couples. May not hear much from me, but I'm taking my ipad, and I know we always take a day off and I'll be checking in and reading at least. Lots to do before that early flight on Saturday!
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 31, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9403558

Happy Birthday Sandra! Hope you have a great day!

Have fun on your trip Elaine! Sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully you will get the opportunity to help spoil that little girl! :) I have a co-worker who had twins... they are 9 now I think... but when they were born, I volunteered to keep them so they could have a night out or whatever. I had this image of sitting around rocking sweet babies. They FINALLY took me up on the offer when they were big enough to start walking! :-) Not exactly what I had in mind, but it was fun still!

I keep the babies in nursery at church just so I can rock them...

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9403591

I can't wait to rock this baby, Genna! It's been a while since our grands were little.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9403596

Happy Birthday Sandra!!!

Genna you had better be glad they waited until they were walking to let you keep the twins!! Twin small babies are not easy to deal with! LOL

Have fun on your trip Elaine! I know you will. Bet Utah is pretty in the winter.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9403608

Happy Birthday Sandra. I hope you get to do something special.
Please tell Jerry and his mother I am thinking of them
Kiss Eli for me.

I pray things work out Genna.

Sarah congratulations

Charlotte I know all the work has been a hassle just got to look at it from the prospective of a new looking garden. Maybe more sunshine will come in. I know it will be beautiful as always.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013

Post #9403612

Good to see you posting Cindy. Yes the garden is going to look a little different. But a garden is always ever evolving. The next thing I've got to do is try and figure out how to dismantle the metal arbor/trellis over the concrete table. It's bolted together but I have an idea the bolts are not going to be easy to get out. I'm first going to have to cut all the jasmine off of it. Need to get that done before the city picks up all the debris!
After I get it down I'll have to figure out what I'm going to put in it's place. I need something for vines to grow on.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9403642

Happy Birthday Sandra. What are your plans for the beautiful day? Have fun!!!

Still praying for you and Leigh, Genna. I like Janie's version "when God closes one door, he opens another." That hallway is usually where our character is formed.

Congratulations Sarah on that new grand baby. My great-grand baby is to be born Sept. 7. I can't wait either.

Jim had his dye test done yesterday but the Dr. couldn't/didn't do the stints. He wants to do 2 patches. I don't know what that is yet. I was so shocked when the hour procedure only lasted 1/2 an hour that I couldn't even ask the right questions. We go to see this Dr. Tue. PM at his office, hopefully we'll find out more info then. He did tell me that the blockages were right at the surface of the skin so he wasn't gonna have to go deep.

Have fun Elaine on your trip. What did you do with the bird and her babies for your trip. I wish we were closer, I would be glad to come open and close the garage door.

I'm reading a new book called Crossroads. It is by the same author that wrote The Shack. This book took a little longer to get into but it is very good also.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 31, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9403647

Thanks, everyone, since I could not think of anything I would want for my birthday, I told Jerry I just wanted for us to take the day Sat and bum around. We need a day out together.
I had such a big Christmas this year, there is really nothing I could think of I wanted. Cayla gave me a prepaid Visa card, so I might look for a new purse, I can always use a new purse !
Love you all and I hope today is a good day for us all !
gen2026
Camden, AR

January 31, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9403686

Sandra, a day to bum around sounds fun! LOL at your comment about the purse... you sound like Jessi - a new purse or new shoes are ALWAYS needed. :-) Hope you have nice weather! It is COLD here today...

Jeri, I have never heard of "patches" either. Let us know what those are when you find out. When did you say he was having his skin cancer removed? I meant to write it on my prayer list and I didn't get home with my note! Please keep us updated.

Cindy, so good to see you posting! I appreciate the prayers. Leigh reports on Monday - so it begins. We will see how it all unfolds.

Charlotte, more sunshine means more DLs! :-)

Have a great day everyone!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9405833

Early spring!!! I am so ready!!!

Anyone want to meet at Forrest Hill next month? Can't find the date online but it's usually around the 16th, that's a Sat. this year so maybe the 14th?? Here is a link to their book. Prices look higher to me.

http://www.dougyoungnursery.com/uploads/2012wholpb.pdf
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9406414

Stopping by to say hello. I'm starting to feel better after my surgery. The weather has so warm in the afternoons I'm having a hard time not getting out and working in the yard. I am looking forward to getting to see you all again in June. Hopefully by then will have a few things to share. I did walk out today and poke around. My blueboy bachelor buttons is blooming.. my hydrangea's(old fashion one's) is putting out lil buds and should have leaves before long. The daffodils are blooming, dianthus have a few blooms also. I really wanted to get out there and dig around but I didn't. I have some rabbit manure I cant wait to get out around my iris bed but I will wait a few more weeks...Keeping you all in my prayers.. Trish

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 2, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9406468

Take care, Trish, you don't want to wind up back in the hospital !
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9407732

Can anyone on here tell me how to find out the cost of the master gardener program - I have looked everywhere and none of what I see list the cost of the classes or how to find out. Thanks!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9407842

Do you have a county farm extension agent office? Our MG programs are actually sponsored by them, and offered thru the botanical garden. So I would think you could contact either to find out some information. The volunteer hours can be worked at city, bot garden, habitat, or various other places. Hope this helps.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9407902

Karen like Elaine said it is sponsored by the extension service. Here is a link that tells about the program and gives the contact information. It's been 5 years since I went through the program and don't remember the exact cost but I'm thinking it was somewhere between 60.00 and 100.00. Classes are always held in late fall. Late Oct early Nov. That way you are ready to go when the new year starts in Jan. Beth Phelps is the extension person that overseers the Pulaski County program. Janet Carson is the person that overseers the program for the whole state.
http://www.uaex.edu/pulaski/mastergardeners/default.htm

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9407920

That is interesting Elaine. Our MG program is funded thru the Ag Dept. at LSU in co-operation with the county agent.

Karen you will love the course.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013

Post #9407939

Wow, it's February already . Where does the time go??? I wished Sandra a Happy birthday on FB and over at that other place. :) A new purse is always nice but I have a hard time finding one that I really like. The one I am using now is a bottomless pit and it is so hard to find anything in it. I really like the way it looks on the outside but it doesn't have enough pockets, et on the inside and I have to drop everything in the bottom of it. :(

Oh, Well, it is time for a new thread so I guess I will start one since nobody else has done. I really don't know when I became the "official starter of new threads". ROFL I;ll be back in a minute with the link.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9407940

Our classes are held on the campus of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. All MG volunteer projects must be approved through the extension service. That is to receive MG volunteer credit hours. You are able to choose the project you would like to work on. We can count volunteer hours on other projects but they are considered community service hours and don't count toward the number of MG volunteer hours required each year.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9407960

Here is our new thread for February. Join us over here, please.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296948/

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296948/

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 10:52 AM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9408261

Mary just got back from the surgeon and she feels like the cancer has returned and could still be ovarian cancer even though Mary has had a complete hysterectomy. They did new blood work called Ca-19 and Mary goes for another PET scan and CT scan Thur. Then we go from there. Prayers please that she is OK!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America