-
AuthorContent
Opa_In_Ga7b
La Grange, GA

January 3, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9373943

Hi All,

Starting fromm seeds this year and a little confused as to when to transplant my seedlings?

Most companies list the harvest "55 days from transplant" or however many days.

When calculating harvest time does one not consider when the seeds were started? Or is it truely from when one transplants the seedlings?

Thanks in Advance!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9373971

You will start to count as soon as you will transplant outside.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 3, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9374139

Most seed sites in Europe and elsewhere do give matuirty times from when the seeds were sowed, so it's a real shock to see some of those numbers.

And also ellewhere most of the seed packs say best used by, no date given, but clearly they do germination tests and use that to print the best used by date on the pack.

Which is different from the US where most commercial packs have a packed by date which is useless since it only tells you when the seeds were packed, not when they were produced.

Carolyn

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9374164

Opa_In_Ga7b wrote:Hi All,

When calculating harvest time does one not consider when the seeds were started? Or is it truely from when one transplants the seedlings?

The DTM(days to maturity) depends on a lot of things. When you see something like 55 days from maturity. It means that SOMEBODY got a ripe tomato in THEIR field in a PARTICULAR year 55 days after they planted it. The days to maturity is based on a "Standard" transplant age and growing conditions.

For example I planted some Silvery Fir tree last year at the end of may beginning of June. Two of them sprouted after awhile. It's the one tomato that I don't have a germination time for last year. The little yogurt cup ended up setting in a north window all summer. At some point a cat decided it wanted to look out the window and knocked the cup on the floor. It killed one plant and since the other was iffy I buried the stem sideways. After a period of time I ended up with two plants. A few weeks ago I transplanted the two into 16 oz cups that are now setting in a southern window. They've both grown a lot and one has buds on it. I figure sooner or later it will flower and I'll end up with 2 or 3 small tomatoes. They won't be big enough to eat but it should increase my seed supply from none to some and that is what I'm after. Assuming that the plants survive and I plant them in the garden I wouldn't be surprised that they produce fruit quickly and I also wouldn't be surprised that they produce ripe fruit no sooner than their off spring. Total time from planting to first ripe fruit. I'm guessing will be somewhere between 260 and 300 days.

I know this is an extreme example but it shows how much conditions matter.

As to when you plant you tomatoes out is going to depend on the conditions when it is time to plant them out. For me it's a mix of when does the soil get warm enough. Is it going to stop raining long enough so the holes I'm planting them in aren't little wells. Has someone offered to help me. That is the day some of them get planted. I've planted little ones and big ones and it doesn't seem to matter that much. General advice is six weeks before last frost I think it is, or is that 6 weeks before plant out time.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 1:02 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America