Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Please identify this insect.

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Qbutler
Pretoria
South Africa

January 3, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9373945

Hi all.

I have the following tree in my garden:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Gardenia_volkensii_subsp._spatulifolia.jpg
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantefg/gardeniavolk.htm

It is indigenous to South Africa and have now seen these insects on it. The insects started at about 8mm in size and all are now about 3cm - 5cm in size and the complete bush/tree is full of them.

Can anyone tell me what they are?
Are they good or bad for the tree?
Are they indigenous to South Africa?
Should I get rid of them?

Thanks

Thumbnail by Qbutler   Thumbnail by Qbutler   Thumbnail by Qbutler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 3, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9373974

quite possibly Giant Twig Wilter, Carlisis wahlbergi

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/05/01/big-legged-bug-from-south-africa-adult-and-nymphs/
Sivion
Rockcreek, OR

January 3, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9374525

KILL THEM WITH FIRE

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 4:14 PM
Qbutler
Pretoria
South Africa

January 3, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9374785

Sorry for the late reply, had no power at home.

At minnesippi - YES, that is correct. Thank you. From reading your link and following a few others, it seems as if this specific species are found mostly on the Gardenia Volkensii tree and up to 9000 have been spotted on a single tree.

So they make the plant not flower at all from what I understand. I also don't see any birds eating them and with around 200 already on my tree, I think I will get rid of them using fire, Just joking, but thanks Sivion for the idea.

Any specific method I can use to get rid of them not damaging the tree?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9374994

aside from squishing them, I have no idea. I just did a google search to find it and didnt do any reading on it after. Maybe as the question on the website link I sent - see if they have any suggestions?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9375211

I did a little researching and it seems that Carlisis wahlbergii is in the same family as the leaf footed bugs (sap sucking). I found out that there are a few species found in So Africa, one of them currently presenting a major problem for macadamia growers. The only insecticide noted was one that could be detrimental to workers...some info stated that they were easier to control in their early stages of growth. Since I don't use a lot of pesticides, when we get Coreidae insects here, I fill a small bucket with hot water and soap and knock as many as possible off into the bucket. You could check around and see if any stores sell a product for leaf footed "squash" bugs.

Best of luck to you.
Qbutler
Pretoria
South Africa

January 4, 2013
11:49 PM

Post #9375916

Thanks all.

I bought this: (Complete 350 SC)
http://www.henchem.co.za/category.asp?CID=39&SID=90&TID=0&prodid=153#anchorproducts

A lady at our local farm shop suggested I use this. After soaking the roots with it and spraying the tree, the buggers started dropping like dead flies. I checked this morning and not a single one found on the tree. The ground beneath however will need a good cleaning of dead insects.

It seemed to work good, hopefully they stay away.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 11:51 PM
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 5, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9376044

Thats great! :)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9376105

Bravo! Glad you found something that works.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America