Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR GARDEN 2013

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 201, Views: 1,269
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9374475

Well indoors and outdoors , ad i am sitting here after dinner thinking about molding some concrete poles have one half made so far, the mold not so much of at this time (Needs to be warmer for that ,me too)

SNOW OUTSIDE
The kitty that just ate the spider plant , notice the bed kitty made of the pot
Romanesco tomato under lights

Yes I have definitely gone to the extreme , ate up, over the top...lol If anybody would of said do you grow anything under lights/ or early . I would of thought madness ...

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9374517

Still no snow...

and what is it with cats and spider plants??

I can't have any sort of 'dirt' where the cats are... I have hanging plants they can't get to, and a few I hide in the basement.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9374586

Stopped into to give you big thank you for the thread sometime I am going to have to learn how to do that,,lol
I don't know about the cats but they sure seem to love'em like they were salad ,,
What is left of mine is up higher and hidden , only you and I both know , they will find it...The front porch and warmer weather will remedy that.. my cats will not climb 8 or 9 feet to get the plants.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 5, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9376224

Thankfully no cats here or I would have to invest heavily in chicken wire.
Still no moisture of any form here either. I heard a stat the other day that we would have to get over 100" of snow to bring us out of the drought. Today started out partly sunny but now it's cloudy. Just wish we would get some snow/sleet/rain. I dread to think what spring is going to be like if we don't get something.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9376276

Well they say it snowing in parts of Wisconsin , suppose to very lightly tonight and tomorrow here. Maybe the rain later in the week will get to you , if not any of this that is happening now.
Weather maps are showing snow clouds heading your way. Lake effects though, I understand...

They only planted me five days ago? wow was that fast!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 5, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9376474

Watcha sprouting there? We got about 1/4" of snow - I think that's classified as non-measurable. Hoping for rain now.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9376507

Those are the Romanesco tomato seeds I planted, when we were talking(typing really) on the 31 st of Dec
The lettuce I planted later the next day is sprouted and growing too!!! It may of been two days after, I do not keep exact times unless necessary,
It is snowing here right now, tonight through tomorrow 1/2 to 1 inch accumulation . indeed and I growing part a &b of the dinner salad..lol
I like the thread about early tomato starting syndrome on the tomatoes forum that surprised me,I have plenty to do ,just not what I want to it seems .so I keep searching and making more things to do ,,
That would be the winter ho- hum,, drums syndrome maybe?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 6, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9377123

My lettuce has sprouted too. I think it took 3 or 4 days but all 3 varieties have sprouted. Now if I can practice patience and not start harvesting too early. I think my kale and Swiss chard that I brought in from the summer in pots are about tired out. The reduced sunlight probably doesn't help and I don't have the space or the setup to put those big pots under lights. Funny that the sweet william that I started from seed last spring and planted in with the kale has started blooming. I do have a big bag of chopped kale in the freezer though for adding into meals so it's not too bad to say goodbye to those plants. One more meager harvesting of small leaves will be about it for them. Guess this it about the time I would covet a hoop house.
How do you give your tomato seedlings enough warmth and light? Sounds like they'll be giant plants when they get planted out. I'll have to check out that article on early tomato starting. I do have to restrain myself when it gets close to seed-starting time.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9377244

Yes I have had a few get really large before 3 of 4 feet ,most stay 2 or 3 feet tall until they are hardened off and they grow a little more full. I have that under lights in a big aquarium with a pair of energy efficient bulbs, one regular, one for plants , the long straight ones not the pig tails.
Stays about 80 degrees in there most of the time, no heater, the bulb heat is plenty, and as said it will be more than I care for sliding them in and out of the garage for 2 or 3 months , but what the heck? you get what you work for, at least that is the way it seems with me when it comes to the garden.
Indeed it is nice to have the outdoor frames and devices ,covers and so forth if you have the room , or so on,.
Only time of year I have nothing blooming , have some really stringy looking Cholla trying to grow though,
I planted a Nemisea and might a marigold or two in there with the vegie starts, i would really like to see a flower blooming about now , winter gets a little gray and white , mucky after a few months here.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 4:33 PM

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9377719

About 2" of the white stuff here. I really want May tomorrow
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 7, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9377947

cece - Looks like we might get a little late April/early May here by the end of the week. Not that we can do much outdoors with that in the middle of winter. Maybe open the windows a bit. Just hoping for some "spring" rain.
I remember starting tomatoes too early year before last. Not enough light in the gh as I thought. Had a hard time finding enough long stakes for them and it made it a real pain trying to plant them in the ground. I totally understand the urge to sow seeds this time of year. My winter is generally gray and brown since the snow doesn't stay white very long.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9381156

Well so far Burgess Lemon(1)
Broad Ripple Currant(2)
Farmstead Huge (2)
Pantano Romanesco (3) Tomato seedlings are sprouted and growing.

A Blue Flax(linum perenne) planted last night has sprouted also...zoom!!!! I have some more flowers planted, will post and later.

About all the room I have for seedlings is used and full, I could make use of a light hanger stand.. (a dozen more when done)

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 5:21 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 10, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9381376

Congrats on the seedlings. I just got some seeds ordered earlier this week and they're on their way.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9381390

Hi Cindy We were typing earlier and something was said about Larkspur, How do you grow yours, or have you., mine were fall sown and tiny (only a few that came up)and are under the snow or frozen back to the ground. these plants seem to be difficult, I will look to see them now as weather allows. Had a couple of cute dwarf annual larkspur this past season though
Some say these are super easy ,? I have never truly found that to be so...

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9381602

Haven't even got mine ordered. Should get them together and get them out by next Thursday (17th). We're leaving the 18th for New Orleans and will be back on the 21st. They won't arrive before then so I will be safe. I don't dare start anything before March 1st any way or I won't have room for them after being transplanted into slightly bigger pots before putting them out,.

I really need about 5 acres with a big greenhouse. Course I have "big eyes" and small "pocketbook"
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 11, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9381907

I usually start my larkspur in the house since I'm new to winter sowing. I do stratify the seed for 3 to 4 weeks. Somewhere I had read that they do need cooler temps (50?) and darkness to germinate. I don't see why they wouldn't be good candidates to winter sow although they do start tiny and take a while to reach planting-out size - not like fast-growing tomatoes, etc. They can also be a little touchy about transplanting. You could grow them in homemade paper pots and just plop the whole thing in the ground. I would get them in the ground early, especially if we have another warm spring and hot summer. They do like temps on the cooler side.
cece - totally agree with you on the "big pocketbook" wishes. Hope the NOLA trip is for fun. Have been there right around St. Patrick's Day and all of the dogwoods, etc were in bloom. Beautiful break from midwest end-of-winter blues.
I did order some zinnias, snapdragons, dahlia and veggie seeds. Since I'm kinda new at gardening with more sun, I'm experimenting with some die-hard annuals, keeping them on the short side like bedding plants.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9382394

Lots of little, not so interesting things going on out there in the garden, First mistake of the year might be the pow wow wild berry Coneflowers from last fall had dried out under glass. The Butterfly bush cuttings next to them all look really good though, good and bad?
Cannot tell about the wild larkspur ,i think that is them that are small ,sitting there, It will be going back to 5 to 9 degrees at the end of the week , so it will still be awhile yet..Daylily seedlings , Foxglove seedlings, All look okay..The stinging nettle and catnip are of course green and getting ready for their spring takeover (all will be assimilated, resistance is futile) Lavender looks okay ,(last years cuttings and replanted)
As the lavender ages it stays silver blue all winter and that looks pretty nice, old plants kind of. I am looking forward to adding more..Next to the drive it stays hot and those seem to do well no matter how hot it gets.(burn your skin and feet hot there) Not much grows tidy where they are at.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2013
9:33 PM

Post #9382484

You have stinging nettles on purpose?????? Never knew what it was till this past summer. Saw a strange weed and wanted to get it out and wasn't going for my gloves. Won't do that again, I assure you. Blistered and stinging was enough for me, let me tell you. Go ahead all laugh. I'd never heard of it before. But I do NOW!!!!!!!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 12, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9382632

juhur - Is that Borg speak?
I took some cuttings of DD's TN lavender in 2012 and surprisingly have 6 plants for her new place. Three are in the little GH and 3 are toughing it out in my cold frame/holding box in a pot. First time I've ever done lavender since I don't grow it here. Maybe I should now that I have more sun. Also did some butterfly bush for DD as well - those seemed pretty easy to get started.
Only thing I know about nettles are the vague relationship to Lamium and folklore consumption of tea. cece - sad about your experience but sure is a reminder (at least for me) to not pull weeds without gloves. I generally wear gloves because of poison ivy sneak attacks - otherwise, I probably wouldn't.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9382739

Yes a little TV humor there, only it is not as fun when the plants do that. As you know I am not good with potted plant or cuttings,so as to that anything that does well for me I am delighted.
Nice to hear those did well for you and DD ,it is fun to get more plants that way.

I am not as sensitive to nettle burn as i once was, Some orange nettle burned me years ago , it is experience you remember!! After such an encounter you always know what people are talking about when they say dangerous or allergic reaction to a particular plant. Pretty early season leaves and a quiet kind of plant , sits there and awaits viciously as if to say ""gotcha""" !!!
Could be compared to a lesson from teachers with a pointer or a ruler/? Or dear old mom and dad with a belt couldn't it?
It will become one of those years ago things,, that will always be with you!!a little (lol)
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 12, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9382774

I have lemon grass that I cart in and out depending on the season and I get a little itchy from that. Wish I could remember to harvest some for cooking. Duh.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9382806

I don't do much with my herbs , i keep some catnip in the freezer, oregano a small amount sometimes in sauces, the nettle tea in some mixes for other plants, the garlic and onions get used all the time , some purslane once in a while..
I use to use many I forgot the mints , often they are used,
Mint teas I really enjoyed as a teenager, bland foods tasted better to me then.There are bunches of medicinal and uses for them, it just takes more energy or motivation than I usually have(lol)
The Sunchokes for the blood sugar, the cantaloupe, or some of the melons for digestion, I am allergic to the antibiotic in Coneflowers.. on and on ...
What is the lemon grass used for a tea additive? I have nut grass and thistle here that can be used also..Lots of odds and ends. The lettuce is still a lot easier though isn't it? lol
Peeling thistle was never one of my favorite pastimes...It does not taste as bad as most might think though Love the herbs it is just that they are a lot of work or concentration...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 12, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9382903

Have heard of lemon grass tea although I've never made it. I prefer ginger over lemon in tea. Basically, the lemon grass is used in Thai cooking although you can use it in any of the milder oriental dishes. The stalks have to be peeled and chopped fine or left in bigger pieces and removed before serving as they're usually a little tough to chew. They'd probably work well in a tea. It's not a strong lemon flavor like an actual lemon although I'm thinking that plants grown in warmer climates might have a stronger flavor. Right now I'm growing basil (touchy indoors), sage (love sage and brown butter sauce on pasta), parsley (water hogs in a pot), rosemary and oregano (I can never get a strong enough flavor from the plants I grow) in the GH. Also growing patchouli because I like the smell.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9382926

My oregano is really strong flavored
The purple basil I brought in during the fall , has died., another crime against plant kind charged to me... I did get three or four seeds ...
I will have to go look up .patchouli in the plant files...ya got me!!! lol

This message was edited Jan 12, 2013 5:33 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 12, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9382943

Oh - patchouli was one of those scents from the '70's. Lots of potpourris used it, incense, etc.
Basils seem to be pretty touchy when grown indoors. The leaves turn brown and fall off regardless of watering schedule, light, etc. Especially touchy if the plant is older (from summer) and the stems have turned woody. I usually take cuttings in the fall rather than try to bring in older plants.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
12:51 AM

Post #9383346

I haven't been able to save a basil plant indoors to save my soul. I tried for about 5 years and didn't even attempt it this year. My house is too dry and with dh and his aversion to any kind of heat, can get drafty and cold... Basil make it about a week indoors here.. sigh so sad , as I LOVE fresh basil.
DiOhio
Corning, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2013
1:03 AM

Post #9383350

I have Snow Drop buds here in SE Ohio !
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 13, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9383692

No fair with snow drop buds! :) I know spring comes early for you but sheesh!
cece - I wonder if you couldn't make a mini-greenhouse out of a clear soda bottle. Cut it almost in half, punch some holes in the bottom for drainage, plant your basil and keep it near a bright window? Kinda like the winter-sowers do with milk jugs. I wouldn't put it in direct sunlight but maybe near a bright window? Is your kitchen warm enough? I like pesto but never seem to have enough fresh basil for that in the winter. I hate spending almost $5 for bunch of the fresh stuff at the grocery store. If I was smart and planned ahead, I'd make it up in the summer/fall and freeze it.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9383921

I was thinking maybe I could keep it the sun room. We run heaters out there at night for the plants I drag back in every fall... I want to try my seed starting out there this March AND since we closed in the front porch it isn't cold out here at all. But its on the North side of the house so would need to use gro lights year round as It gets absolutely no sun at all... IDK

After next weekend in New Orleans I can start serious consideration to all that.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 13, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9383993

I haven't given serious consideration yet to seed-starting. Been catching up on sewing projects that I had to set aside for the holidays. Next week - filling milk jugs with dirt! Yippee!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9384141

You know, I tried winter sowing for 3 years in a row... Nothing ever came of it so I stopped doing it. All I ever got in spring was milk jugs full or dirt. I can fail at some of the easiest stuff.

Remember the first year I tried it. 2007. I was in master gardening classes and was telling the instructor about the winter sowing I had been told about on this site. She laughed at me and said yeah well tell me how that works for you. It didn't...

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 14, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9384567

I'm going to stick with seeds that I know need stratification - mainly perennials. I see from various winter-sown seed lists that some folks will try just about anything. Guess I'm too inexperienced to try winter-sown tomatoes even though some will self-sow. Most of the seeds I'll use are from my collection so no real big expenses other than dirt.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9384628

Most of my winter sow efforts have failed also'
If we were not raised growing them to that method, we weren't
I t is easy for many ,,as they always have
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 14, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9384925

I did manage a few poppies last year but most gave up to the warm weather before getting established in the garden.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9394206

My efforts are kind of okay in prep , Centurea americana , Guara, blue flax, robinsons red chrysanthemum .are growing okay a few flowers with early tomato plants' Nemisia did not sprout well ,one plant and over it went (later will try again)
My indoor lettuce has mostly died , planted a second try ,
Not bad for me ,
Daylily sprout seedlings all look good ,lost one or two , have many .. I will pic a few here in a while , months to go much more to do...Four pea vines were still alive in the garden outside, the garlic looks beautiful , and the leeks are always a "just there" plant Good to eat though...
I am trying to start some others,, Huckleberry mainly
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 23, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9395009

Wow - you still have live pea vines? I had pulled mine to make room for the squash that never bloomed. Am trying a new variety this season - 'Anton' - and a new kale - 'Winter Red'. I did get some winter sowing done last weekend and now it's mainly keeping an eye on shrub and annual cuttings from last year currently residing in the little heated GH until I start some seeds indoors. No snow here since maybe 1/2" last weekend so the ground is pretty dry.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 24, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9395783

Hey, hey! Measurable snow came down overnight. 3 to 4". First time this winter, all due to the lake effect "plume" coming straight down Lake Michigan from the north. All of the ground-feeding birds and squirrels are confused. Not contemplating driveway shoveling until this afternoon since I don't want to do it more than once today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9396201

Hey to you CM5 ; We don't see a lot of birds this year ,have lots if squirrels though,
1 TO 3 of snow in the forecast here , a day or so away though ,, I am watching the possible 50's for next week...
Having a little trouble seeing this ,had a cataract removed ray this morning ,thread stray I know but just wanted to say hi
.. this is all for today can't see well..yet one good eye ,, still looks everything odd...

I forgot , yes four pea vines came up in the fall , last I looked , they were alive and growing , we will see what happens in a month or two.. interesting though ,isnt it?

This message was edited Jan 24, 2013 5:34 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 24, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9396408

Ouch! Hope you recover quickly! Yeah, I saw the upper 40's forecast for the first part of next week along with some rainy weather. Looking forward to that after just coming in from shoveling snow. Wouldn't be so bad if the snow plows didn't form such a ridge of snow at the end of the driveway. I'll just look at the physical exertion as getting in shape for spring.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9398695

Cindy the snow plows are famous for that here in my neck of the woods. I haven't shoveled my drive not once where once I was done the snow plow didn't come through and block me me back up In Fact, I have been standing right there when they come through with the biggest Smile on their face while doing it. I swear4 they enjoy it. I really do.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 27, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9399033

If I happen to be out shoveling when the smaller plows come through, the driver is nice enough to move the snow from in front of my driveway. We live on a cul du sac so there's not much space in between the driveways to pile the snow.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9399059

Get that pile at the end of the drive a couple of times of year , smaller plows here are not as bad as the the huge yellow dumpers or INDOT plows.
Weather is real quiet here about 30 degrees , That is a little concerning considering the forecast
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 27, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9399091

TWC radar shows that it's sleeting here but must not be hitting the ground. A little bit of a breeze here with gray skies.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9400334

Planted Chesnook garlic today,, Garlic that is already there ,looks good, everything else is mud and wet frozen thawed cooked lettuce... ewwwwww... rain about 60 degrees ,,, a giddy♪♪♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 28, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9400344

Light rain turned (momentarily) into ice late yesterday. Gray, wet and 50's today. Almost all of the snow has melted but I don't think the ground has warmed up much as there were puddles in the lawn. Yeah, I'd think the lettuce would be mush about now. Did you start your garlic from seed or bulbs? Outdoors? When will you be able to harvest it? I need to get some small leftover daffodil bulbs into the ground. Maybe tomorrow. They're too small to bloom yet but I feel horribly guilty having them sit in a bucket in the garage.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9400362

Garlic is all from bulbs ,, last year the bubils of red snake garlic went dormant in June ,, I left them in the ground and they returned this fall, at least one of them is looking really good ,big &strong , red Siberian bulbs are still growing strong looking bout average ,, Weather yesterday was similar here , only there was a long calm ,,, (YES, all Garlic outside)
As long as their cold , all should be well with the flower bulbs...(You know that though don't you) ? feeling guilty lol.lol.
There is one bachelor button( cornflower )at the corner of a garden bed that looks to growing ,only it is really only alive ,,I find them them difficult to start , only once their in and developed I have had them live for three years here , pretty good for a Biennial huh? They are really a three to five year perennial... Regardless of what the info usually says..
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 28, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9400488

My only experience with bachelor buttons is the perennial type.
I transplanted some small pieces of Campanula 'E.H. Frost' last fall after the big oak was removed and they actually look happier now than when I put them in the ground during the hot, dry fall. Haven't grown but at least look perky.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 6, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9410295

Have luckily dodged any severe weather here. I'm kinda looking forward to some more moisture tomorrow but hoping it's rain instead of sleet or snow.
Still not doing anything outside in the gardens yet although I've started spring prep inside by taking some Coleus cuttings (trained my 9 yo GD how to do it) and repotted two large hydrangeas today in the garage. One I keep in a pot here because I'm not quite sure of the hardiness of a "florist hydrangea" and the other for my DD's new garden in MI, transplanted from TN last year and kept in a temporary pot. DD and SIL are buying a home on a couple of acres in a rural area between Holland and Saugatuck and should be moved in before spring hits. She can't wait to get her hands in the dirt again, especially dirt that's not full of rocks, chirt and clay up on a ridge in rural TN. I'm guessing I'm babysitting 30 or so perennials and small shrubs for her, sentimental favorites that she wanted to take with her.
Hoping to start some indoor seeds next week! No veggies yet but a few slow annuals, perennials and herbs.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9410354

My gardens is under 5 inches of snow so yeah... 3-5 more coming tomorrow then they are "watching" the one to hit Monday, 6 weeks from today, Spring... can't wait.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9410368

Trying a few with success ,losing a few, always about that with me , sunny today ,40 or so , grounds frozen , cannot do much that way.. Rolled out some fence for trellis last week , potted up a tomato plant today , one racing to grow .. okay with me ..
Some of my annuals look fine some of my perennial efforts not so fin ,wrong time , wrong way. some cuttings looking okay , some of last years divisions ,all right ..
I over do some ,, still ...gives me a motive to keep up with some thing...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 7, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9411048

cece - you and juhur have gotten hit harder with winter weather than I have. I'm hoping this isn't going to be the trend for the upcoming growing season - dry again.
juhur - you are much more adventurous than me in your seed-starting. It'll be the last part of March before I start tomatoes since I can't give them enough light if they get too big.
Ach! Discovered something has been getting into my cold frame and digging up over-wintering perennials from their pots. I'm suspecting voles or mice. Will have to find a dry time during today to see what's going on and to see what I can rescue. Going to focus on repotting stuff this next week before I get seeds started. I hoarded some leaf and worm compost indoors late fall so can add that to store-bought potting soil. I'll allow a couple of weeks for the plants to get re-established before starting to feed them in early March.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9411464

HERE IS A Centaurea and a Farmstead plant
from today Tomato plant is trying acting ,it is imitating a maple .

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9411490

Hey Cindy , I forgot to ask you if found out who the cold frame raider is.? MARTY MOUSE has found a neat icebox huh ?/lol
I hate that when that happens !!!
Good luck with security and sorry for your trouble ...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 9, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9412910

I am so bummed. Did some more investigating the other day and the unknown creature has emptied about 15 pots, eating the entire plant and even digging to get to the roots. Even ate an entire holly plant. All of these were plants destined for DD's new garden. I suspect it's probably a vole. The creature even gnawed on some iris rhizomes. Going to go through the pots today in the garage to see if any remnants of plants remain. It looks like the creature burrowed in under the cold frame which really only sits on top of the ground. Did run out to Menards and got some mouse "control" product as I really don't want this type of destruction.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 11, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9415686

Yippee! Crocuses are poking through the ground - about 1 1/2" tall with tiny flower buds on the tips. Also saw some daffodil foliage on the south side of the house. Hope they all don't get too brave yet!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9415691

:( not here. 7 inches of snow all over the place !
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 12, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9416475

cece - we've dodged most of the snow here so that's why I can see some of the emerging stuff, especially after the warmer weather we had last week. Of course, along about mid-summer, I'll be wishing we would have gotten more snow to build up soil moisture reserves. Have noticed that when we have more snow, I'm more likely to see remnants of last season's foliage about the soil line. This winter, there's nothing to show where some perennials have been. Lack of moisture, lack of snow cover and wind have really cleaned up some spots. Just hope the roots are still happy underground. I did leave more stuff standing, hoping for some sheltering effects.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013

Post #9416645

I leave all m y stuff standing til spring. The clean up is so looked forward after the winter. So I can see some things only they are brown and dead tops from last year, Remnants of fall.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9416657

A couple of potted up seedlings today , They will dwarf at this rate ,by the time they go in the garden ,lol Still a little fun..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9417899

Tomorrow is Feb,14

Hoosier your Valentine!!!!!!! lol
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 16, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9421013

Hope everyone had a great heart day. Went up to MI for a couple of days to shop (which I usually only do with gardening stuff) and to help DD pack for big move at the end of the month. OD'd on Thai and Middle Eastern food which DH doesn't usually care for. Had snow last night in MI but driving home this morning there was no snow on the ground in IN. I think my car is the only one locally to be encrusted with ice and snow.
juhur - it is great to start potting up seedlings. Means spring is right around the corner! This week I can finally get some indoor seeds started. Yea!
cece - I can empathize with cutting down the brown stuff as the new green stuff is coming up. If I leave too much standing though, it traps all of the oak leaves which makes for a back-breaking cleanup in the spring when I can't get stuff uncovered fast enough before the newly emerging plants get trapped under a mat of wet oak leaves.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9421030

here also ,lots of browns burned up to be cleaned , glean and chore time coming ,,lol
Here are some flower seedlings
Giant cornflower
Gaura
Huckleberry . the big one is the Centaurea from a few posts ago ,the little fellows with two leaves , these are doing all right . #3 is the Huckleberry

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 17, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9421680

Your seedlings are looking great. How many huckleberries did you end up with?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9421914

Numbers are not final yet ,I will plant another half a dozen cups or so of huckleberries/.Germination is not good from the seeds.Three nice ones growing ,so far..
It snowed here last night ,, here we go again .

Thank you inspiration and hope count..!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 1:36 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9422020

Here is the best one , I need to have 20 or 30 of them ,from what I read , That might get interesting trying that many?

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 25, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9431158

Loving the 40's here yesterday and today. Collected about 10 gallons of water from melting snow yesterday via the rain barrels. Using for fluoride-sensitive plants and seedlings (when I don't use distilled water). Seeing a few more daffodil leaf tips but I'd be happier if they'd wait a couple more weeks. Some of my indoor-sown seeds planted last Weds have sprouted - thyme, snapdragons and one of the Campanulas - so I'm happy seeing green (at least indoors). Now have 5 hydrangeas growing in the heated garage and have 5 different irises sprouting in pots that the silly voles had gnawed on. Now if I could only resurrect butterfly bushes and daisies, I'd be happy.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9431323

I have a few more cornflowers sprouting up some new borage sprouts , Yes indeed some green to look upon is nice ! I have no bulbs showing outside at all , that is worrisome ... voles, rot, it happens ..A few hyacinths will likely return anyway though they usually do eventually , water doesn't bother them they can grow in my winter fall pond earth.
I mailed a few plants and seeds to a couple of DGer's and am still looking over what I would like or have to try and grow
Lot's to do yet , in time ..it will get done though.
You could try naming your plants Lazarus ! lol Well maybe? it was just a thought , you never know for sure as absolutely what might get them to grow.. lol
I have to be careful of drafty air getting to my tomato starts , the one is all I have lost , and that is still too many.Easy grow plants like the catgrass Oats are growing real fast about 2 or so inches a day zoom!!!! Others are taking their time ,they seem to know it is not time to grow yet ,,
Some of last night's pics
#1 Oatgrass #2 #3 Huckleberry #4 #5 Cornflower

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 25, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9431403

Lazarus - LOL! (secretly I wish) DD has had the daisy for about 10 years and at two homes so I'm keeping my fingers crossed since they're pretty tough plants. A sentimental carry-over. Darned voles! I did notice that some critter's been nibbling at the D-Con I set out in the cold frame after removing all of the plants. Hmmm - voles don't care for Astilbes I noticed.
Your huckleberries look great! Don't have anything here that far along. I did notice that the shrub cuttings I took last year and have been sitting quietly all winter in my little GH are starting to show some green leaf tips. They'll be too small to plant out this year and will have to spend another year in a pot until they are big enough. Will probably do another batch of coleus cuttings next week as well as getting some more herbs started.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9431496

I um hmm (throat noise) borrowed my sister's cool pix , doing a test lol Yeah I know , but it's good junk!!!!

And thank you for compliments , and some of mine are too early ,your more patient and probably nearer correct than I am , I just ""gotta ya know?""

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 7:35 PM

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 26, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9432079

You are far more patient than I because you're willing to move your plants in and out dependent on the weather, etc. I can get pretty lazy with that. I'd start stuff earlier but I'd just run out of room in my little GH. This year it is a lot fuller due to overwintering stuff for DD but I should be freeing up a lot of space in another month. I am growing more stuff this year though that takes longer to reach a "plant out" stage - snapdragons, browallia, campanula. Once I start the dahlias and zinnias, I'll be lucky to have room to turn around.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9432319

I'm still in thinking stage. Have all the seeds but still haven't set up lights and such. But I am "thinking" about it. lol
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 26, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9432434

cece - LOL - know what you mean. I start "thinking" around January and usually have the slower seeds going by the end of Jan. This year, I started about a month later than normal.
Ach! rain turned to sleet has just turned over to wet snow, coming straight down like rain. Only have to leave the house this afternoon to pick up GD from school a block away. Otherwise, I'm stuck indoors cleaning bathrooms which I hate.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9432765

Snowing like "h" here Wind so high its blowing the snow horizontal. Can barely see the building across the street. Can you say WHITE OUT????? I don't want to whine but I am DONE with winter. Wish the weather would get with the program

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9432777

The Hyacinth's four or five of them ,have sprouted up !!!! First blooms in two weeks?
Raining good here ,
All I can say about the snow ? it is February in the great white north ,
You will have memories to think back on in Summer when it is 100 DEGREES ! And as dry as gulch bones!!!'
Cindy's weather sounds like tomorrows here , garlic is still growing in the garden.. may--beee?-
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 27, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9433438

cece - Ouch! Sorry about your nasty weather up north. And yes, it's ok to whine. Hmm - Friday is meteorological first day of spring. Hope this storm system gets the hint.
juhur - yeah, I remember last summer and that's why I'm trying not to complain to much about any precipitation I get here (unless it gets as bad as cece's weather).
Our temps are a hair above freezing so this precipitation is not sure how it wants to present itself. Snow that melts to slush that freezes at night, compounded by rain/sleet during the day.
More seeds sprouted indoors - white foxglove and some savory. Even had some old white snapdragon seeds sprout. Now I need to get them next to the lights.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9433476

10 inches in Waukesha County. Least we're not in Sheboygan where they got 18.5 inches. We've got an additional 2-3 inches forecast for today and then Friday is another weaker system moving in.

Still thinking about getting seeds started.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

February 27, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9433673

Chuckle about the "thinking" thing.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 8, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9442930

Sunny and above 40 here today. Loving it! And collecting more snow melt via the rain barrels. Getting time to ramp up on watering/fertilizing/repotting the pots currently indoors. Hoping that some of my shrub cuttings will really take off now with real sun on their leaves.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9443012

Near that here , looking over my mess where the garden is suppose to be, cleaning garden tools .
Have some plants sitting the sink and window with real sun Yes that real sun is some"" gooood stuff!!!!!""

From earlier today ,, my tomato plants , yep waiting to go gardening ..lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9443050

Hey !! depending on the system you are using here , I either green or blue linked you. it was completely unintentional ..
New phrase , here , you have just been ""green linked"" zap!!! LOL

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9443074

Never got anything started. Last Friday, March 1st we ended up putting #2 of 4 brothers in Hospice and have been spending most of the week out there. They had given him 2 days last Friday, happy to say he is still with us. Don't know for how long though, He's in stage 4 colon cancer that has metastasized to his liver and bladder. Two years now he has been dealing with this, So NOTHING is getting started till this is all over.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 8, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9443094

cece - so sorry to hear of your brother's illness. Hoping he's not in too much pain.
juhur - green-linked? That's a new one but very welcome at this time of year. I'm scheduling cleaning and sharpening of garden tools this weekend. I'll need to go prune clematis real soon and my pruners are in a sorry state. I'm real bad about cleaning up all of the tools at the end of the season. Also have a tray of seedlings that need thinning this weekend. I can do that in front of the tv in the evening.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9443101

Same cece . really sorry to about your brother , From personal experience I will say care is much better today than years ago, Still it is so very difficult to deal with .

Cindy ..what is thinning seedlings , you mean pecking them out like a row in the garden or?
On my previous post the ""go gardening"" click on it , you can , it's green on my computer blue on another!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 9, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9443666

When I sow indoors, I tend to sprinkle too many seeds, especially if the seeds are older and I'm unsure of germination rates or if the seeds are really tiny. Once they've sprouted, I go back and, with a pair of embroidery scissors, cut down the surplus seedlings, leaving only a couple per cell. I try not to pull them out since that can bring a whole clump of seedlings out at one time. Once I see which of the remaining seedlings is going to grow best, I mow down the unwanted ones so that I have one seedling per cell. I actually have a small pair of sewing scissors with a hook on the end (to cut stitches) that makes it easy to grab an unwanted seedling and snip it off.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9443678

Some how I knew or was afraid you were going to tell me that. ?
I waited all day yesterday ,to come back with ::
EEEEK !!!! PLANT Killer !!!!LOL
I know you knew it though ,, and that's why you waited ,
Some of mine resent being grown in pots ,, When too many ,, I wait until in the ground and I have one or two growing before I do anything as snipping ,
You may recall a conversation or two last year or season , that is when I lost a few setting them outside , Extras are a good thing for me as far as the plant seedlings
I am not a pot type gardener , never did have the ""knack"" for that
I am admiring those who do:-).
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 9, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9444136

"Plant killer" - yeah, I know. When I first started sowing seeds indoors, I would desperately try to transplant every excess seedling, none of which had their first true leaves and were all of 1/8" tall. Somehow felt a moral obligation to save them all. But I got over that as the years went on. And as generously as I sometimes sprinkle fine seeds, I really don't have room for 100 foxglove nor the desire to plant that many. :)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2013
3:08 AM

Post #9448698

Yes I have done that or let a couple pots of plants go to waste because I had no room or place for them When they all grow like a pod of poppy seeds , you can be overwhelmed real quick !
I planted a dozen more tomato seeds of 11 different varieties yesterday ,

Great white
Burpee's long keeper
black cherry
black krim
bugess mammoth
belle starr
brandywine yellow
juane flamme
gardener's delight
These are a few I am still working on about ideas getting to the Russian and polish varieties The others started before are ready to plant , so they going to be huge before I get to plant them That is the idea though . it is only how many of any of these I still have at the end of the season (a little lol)
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 14, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9448819

That's an impressive list of tomato varieties.
The first time I grew tomatoes from seed (just a couple of years ago), I started them waaay too early. Kept transplanting them into taller pots to bury the stems deeper and deeper to counter the legginess. Had to stake them before they even made it outdoors. And it was almost a two person job to plant them, trying to keep the stake in place to protect the stem. I'll probably start mine late next week. It seems as if you've mastered the art of starting them early and keeping them "transplantable".

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9448863

The pic's not mastered . only there and trying ,, hopefully successfully ...
1&2 The tray I have shown before
#3 A rather stringy Romanesco
#4 Farmstead Huge That looks better than the pic
#5 Burgess Lemon #4 is about a foot tall , ready to grow.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9448905

Obviously a few near fails or empty pot cups , But as I am senile it ain't bad . The plants to the left are flowers ,.
The idea of knowing about some of the tomato plants The farmstead and broad ripple currant take a lot of process abuse of moving the around , temperature changes or light difficulties , Easier plants to grow than the others ,
Some will not take that at all . I like looking for easy plants to grow , those two above Burpee's hybrid beefsteak the Ester Hess Those four are all real easy to grow
The Marglobe also, all the others are I either do not know or are more difficult , These planted yesterday and tomorrow should not be a problem as planted about the first day of spring which is of course ,about the time to start them , unless your impatient like me and just have too!!!lol
Had a Burgundy Hibiscus sprout yesterday also , Hummingbird food for later.
By the way Cindy there was a comment last year about Romanesco tomato and someone knew they grew to stringy and that some one was not impressed with them , I think that someone was correct about that . untill later

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 10:38 AM

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9449670

I have no heart left for starting anything this year. :(

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9451029

cececoogan It is really difficult to follow or say anything to you here , prayers and sympathy is about all one as self can do .I am sincerely in empathy for your trouble , age is often a remorse of experience and memory .

My garden here doesn't compare to the previous but on we go , ground hog wiped out my daylily seedlings , Got some grafting on fruit trees done , no new tomato seedlings as of yet , I get fatigued real quick after a winter of not enough physical doing .
Still have some daylily seedlings that weren't outside , hardening them is going to be tricky..
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 16, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9451348

cece- You have my sympathies.
I didn't buy any new tomato seed varieties this year as I had so many different ones left over from last year. Starting them for 3 or 4 different folks (including me) so my seed starting list is one of this or two of that, probably encompassing 5 or 6 varieties. Next week will be busy with seeds, including bringing the stratified group out of the fridge. Also going to move forward with dividing Boston ferns and repotting other tender stuff and starting the fertilizing.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9451371

That sounds like a lot to do. Everything was okay with mine here until a bulb went out on my new starts day before yesterday. Yeah I know that is not exciting , But as things begin to go wrong by the time they happen, I begin to wonder already.
All be well again in a couple of days though ,everything looks all right except for a few Hawaiin Hibiscus seeds that do want to germinate.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 17, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9452438

DD and GD were here for the weekend and I'm looking forward to putting on grubby clothes tomorrow and getting dirty with all of the horticultural chores. I still need to find a decent day to get outdoors and prune Clematis but not sure if that's going to happen before it gets a bit warmer next weekend. Had heard this morning that it'll be the end of March before it starts getting warmer here. Ugh. Did notice that the canna bulb I saved from last year has sprouted in the GH. Figured I'd have to get that started early since it was dormant but maybe I started it too early. Had also pruned back hard a couple of potted passion flower vines and they're already sprouting new leaves. Did get a few sprouts from some Carex 'Bowles Golden' seeds I'd collected a couple of years ago. Too soon to tell if they're going to have a nice yellow color or not. I was surprised they sprouted as I had read that fresh seed is required.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9453318

We're snowing today. and single digits for temps the next 3 nights. I'm leaving things alone, I found these on the 11th though, Seems the hyacinths think winter is done.

oh my I didn't post it here. How did I do that? My darling wonderful brother lost his battle with cancer on March 10th. He heaved one sigh and then nothing. He had been in a drug induced coma for 4 days.

He will always be missed.

Thumbnail by cececoogan   Thumbnail by cececoogan         

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 18, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9453329

cece -so sorry for your loss.
Supposed to be below freezing for the next several nights here. Sigh. Lots of accidents this morning on the expressways due to falling rain/ice hitting cold overpasses. I'm staying in today!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9453338

Here also , very sorry to hear about your brother , didn't have any idea what he may of been like but during the spring and summer we can remember him in life celebration prayer as we have our own, while we do our gardening and daily living remembering those we miss and hope someday to see again.
Comfort to you while you mourn the crossing over of a one so near.

Cold inside day today definitely , same for me. Three new tomato seedlings .about it .
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 18, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9453766

Spent most of today repotting stuff and dividing Boston ferns. Ugh. Hate that job. While repotting my Salvia 'Black and Blue', I ended up with 4 separate plants. I keep them in pots and bring them indoors over winter because I'm not quite sure if they'd survive outdoors. Tonight, it's seed starting in front of the tv.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9461436

FROM TODAY 'Preparing for someday? These three look good, I will admit the others are bit slower.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9461550

HERE'S the others and a Huckleberry ..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9462068

I have hyacinth showing their leaves up about 3 inches and it has been so cold. I noticed them MARCH 11TH really hope all this cold weather didn't screw it up.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 26, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9462493

juhur - those babies are looking good!
cece - I sympathize - I noticed the tips a couple of weeks ago as well. Daffs are starting to emerge as well in protected spots. Always puts the rush on me to get the fall leaves off of them so the leaves don't get blanched and squashed. I've noticed that emergence tends to slow down when the weather cools so at least we haven't had those nasty hot spells like last spring.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9475051

I will be moving back to the Midwest (Kankakee, Illinois) sometime this summer after a four-year sojourn in Oregon. There will be much to enjoy at my new garden but I will miss the year-round blooms out here. This is pickings from my garden last week -- the last of the daffodils, along with pieris, camellias & foliage-y things.

Thumbnail by summerkid
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 9, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9477828

summerkid - I bet all of those nurseries out your way will be hard to leave behind. Make a note - you'll have to check out Sunrise Greenhouse in Manteno, IL. Should be real close to your new location. Not especially trendy but BIG. And healthy plants.
My daffodils are just starting to open up here. Bright blue scilla everywhere. Even have some yellow primrose and Pulmonaria starting to bloom. Virginia bluebells are up about 3" so they should be in bloom in another week. One of the Hepaticas is blooming as well. It's turning a little colder here so that should slow stuff down. Did rush today to cut down old Epimedium foliage as the buds are getting ready to emerge.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9477852

summerkid' The only thing I thought was nice , very nice floral arrangement in the pic . and I would not like the zone or the water change that goes with that move ..
Only hope all goes well with the moving around it gets to be hectic sometimes ..

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9478118

They say that we could get snow Thursday in some parts here. And the bulbs have just started to pop out. I planted over 100 tulips list past fall, not having been able to grow them in 30 yrs.(having moved up from Florida this past September) They should be OK. Have some UFO bulbs leafing out that, at least some, may be daffodils.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 10, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9478732

FLStu - I'm just up the road from you in Hobart. I'm hoping that by "snow", the weather people mean a few pre-dawn flurries. The Chicago weather trends a bit colder than us Hoosiers experience. I wish I could get some more of that rain that Chitown is getting though. Just on and off sprinkles here. What a change for you moving here from FL. Sounds like it will be fun to see what the UFOs turn out to be. I, alas, gave up on growing tulips. I have a few that have lasted over the years, coming back in the spring with no help from me. I rely mainly on the other spring bulbs - lots of daffs, puschkinia, scilla, snowdrops, galanthus. Parrot tulips call out my name from time to time though.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9481977

peppers and Bean sprouts .

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9484239

Things just starting to poke out their heads. Planted over 100 Tulips after not being able to grow them in 30 yrs having moved from Florida this past September. Also having some unkown bulbs (#2) coming up. Waiting to see what we have in the landscape before getting perennials, but have been looking to see what's around. Still early for most nurseries. I did order some hostas, blackberry lilies and a couple of other things that I know won't be found locally. Started the beginning of a soon-to-be rock garden berm and pulling up the weed cloth that had been placed everywhere.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 15, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9485097

Stu - looks like you picked an excellent spot for a rock garden. I've started some blackberry lilies from seed this past winter. They're indoors though and about 2" tall right now. I think it'll be kinda fun to see what comes up at your new place. Since I don't presently work, I haven't done much ordering other than seeds but do plan a trip down to Sunrise Greenhouse in a couple of weeks. And I have a hard time pulling out plants to make room for new ones but it does happen occasionally.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9485102

I posted these other the bilbs etc the avatar , here's the scented plum , took yesterday.

My second planted of Huckleberry never sprouted , cooked boiled ,soil . started a third planting today
Cool gray day for a warm temperature here , other berry plants near the garden are budding and most of trees have done so already , Friday nights freeze tells the story to come//

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 16, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9485884

All of the various bulbs are blooming here but forstythia still haven't opened up. Neighbor's magnolia flower buds are getting fat. Hepatica have started blooming. Should have a lot of flowering things over the next month. I am hardening off some seedlings outdoors but I do bring them in when the temps get close to the freezing mark. Had rain yesterday and this morning, it's sunny. Keeping my eye on the weather though with that cold snap coming at the end of the week.
I have wood ducks in the trees just beyond my back yard. Very bizarre to see ducks on a tree limb.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9487325

Cindy...Been trying to post on DG for a couple of days, but my home PC and DG site don't always see eye to eye. The pic with the rocks are one of the areas I am pulling the rocks FROM and posted that pic in error. When the two systems agree, I'll post the site I'm developing.

The ducks in the trees? We have a mallard pair visiting in a new 'pond' in a drainage area from all the rain lately. But ducks in trees? Maybe that's why they call them WOOD ducks (yuk, yuk)?!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 17, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9487541

Yuk, yuk. We have a wooded wetlands behind our lot (sadly, a lot of the oaks do not like the wetland that the Army Corps of Engineers decided to make next to Turkey Creek). I had seen a couple of ducks swimming around in the wetlands but couldn't tell what type they were. These guys just fly from branch to branch, totally comfortable with that exercise. I wonder if they evacuate to the trees to avoid the raccoons or other critters (have a red fox that passes through from time to time and on rare occasions, a coyote).
Still think that your erroneous pic would be nice for a rock garden.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9487619

I probably will make one there, but first I want to find a Weeping Pussywillow to put in that area and then work around it.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 18, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9488439

Nice. Does the weeping pussy willow crave as much moisture as the regular ones?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9490942

I enjoy willows , easy to root and I kill too many plants dividing them ..Have some rooting now , not weeping though ..

Put a pot of stargazer lily in the ground last years survivor was sprouted outside so now it has company.
Planted Fava Beans since it want to stay cool weather wise .
Some of my plants seem to have wilt (Grrrrrrr)
I don't expect anything to grow anymore .. Still have plenty of some great thistle and queen anne's lace !!lol Go Weeds!!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2013 6:04 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 20, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9491099

Sorry about the wilt. Is it affecting outdoor stuff or indoor stuff? Nice though that your Stargazer has sprouted. Those have an intense perfume. I did plant peas on Thurs. Soaked them indoors and then planted them out before we got all of that rain. Beautiful clear skies but chilly today. Came home from MI this afternoon (moved a piano to DD's place) and they were 10 degrees colder with a nasty wind. Here, it's beautiful.
DD gave me some wintergreen seeds (Gaultheria procumbens) that I'm going to try to sprout. Will have to look those up to see best method.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9491123

Only a couple of the plants I have been moving back and forth , humidity difference ,temperatures when I move them , so forth , a few always seem to have that happen , makes them susceptibleto such , Stronger plants won't be bothered by that ,
Blueberries have leaves and the trees , still too cold for most things , Good luck with the peas!!! I was thinking about planting some , only since the Fava's were sprouted and ready to go and they say growing them in cool weather like peas is best , they got planted instead at least to begin with and until I decide what I am doing as far as plants to grow is concerned..
I had a couple of stargazer's from the DS a few years ago , The one still here is from then I got a couple more this time as they were growing from the bags as though saying take me!!! take me!!!! I will bloom for you!!! Besides they do seem to grow in adversity , seems to be a nice flower .. My older yellow bulb lillies seem to be returning this year , last year only one grew , never bloomed ,This year there seems to be about a dozen including a clump of them that will bloom ,, Allright!!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9491129

I forgot-- my Piano moving days are over , Is this a new or older type piano , My nephew plays ,, I almost use too!!lol
Windy and cool here also , 30 last night , 32 forecast for tonight , same as last night when it got colder ...

Alittle spring foliage for color ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9491255

Been visiting nurseries, trying to see what's available locally rather than ordering them mail order. Still too cold to plant, I think, but just got a hosta collection from White Flower Farm so think I'll put them in tomorrow to take advantage of the rains coming. Wish they waited a week or so to send them, but they should be ok.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9491436

I planted a variegated Hosta about a week ago , (from the DS ) of all places.
An old variety and not as much as some , however it works for me !
I will enjoy them is all that matters , hope you do yours as well !!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9493182

I also planted 20 Hostas yesterday - a collection of four varieties from White Flower Farm. Als bought, but have not planted, four Hydrangea Vanilla and Strawberry bushes that I got from Alsip, still at the half-price from last season's close-out. They're all with buds coming out and should be fine. Love the bloom description and they bloom through out the summer into frost. It's doesn't die back to the ground, so should develope well for the area in front of the fencing for the dog run.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 23, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9494693

The piano was a spinet and about 350 pounds. Luckily, I didn't have to lend a hand. Getting to the point where I have to pay people to move things I guess.
Good deal on the half-price hydrangeas. I find Alsip a bit on the pricey side but they do carry some things that other nurseries don't.
I haven't been doing much "fun" stuff like planting new things. Just cleaning up fall leaves and minding the seedlings and cuttings. I fear I've lost a couple of new things from last year though. So hot and dry during the summer with little snow cover over the winter. The next couple of weeks will tell I guess.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9500263

Well my Yarrow as far flowers have returned . the Gallo Blanket flower has not my ice plants have not , Little worried to that as the others have returned , Agastache has not returned either.
Lupines have been sparingly returning . obvious to that is it is a cooler start to this year . Lupines of course prefer the cooler temps . Seems some plants I can grow and some I cannot .
In the garden for edible planted 2 types oh huckleberry , 3 types of Blueberry A type of cherry .
Have about five kinds of Beans going , Going to start more..
Catnip and Jerusalem artichokes are everywhere , those things could grow in swamps or the Mohave desert Have radishes , lettuce and garlic, onions , all going and growing outside cool weather goodies ,,
Well next week or shortly there after , melons and cucumbers , and away we go ...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 29, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9501670

Spent most of the day with garden-related stuff. While waiting for the dew on the grass to dry this morning (had heavy fog overnight), I planted some chard and carrot seeds in big pots and planted kale seedlings in another. Spent a few hours on fall leaf cleanup and then fertilized and mulched the rhodies (4) and azaleas (7). My bleeding heart 'King of Hearts' has not returned this year - new last year. All of the other bleeding hearts are up with flower buds. :( My experiment with growing French tarragon in the ground instead of pots was successful as they've returned this spring. The Mukdenia new last year also returned. It flowered before the leaves came out. Corydalis 'Berry Exciting' hasn't shown up though. I get kinda bummed when pricey plants don't return although I've probably mistreated them somehow.
Sowing cucumber seeds tomorrow indoors. Not sure whether to go ahead a sow the squash or wait til later to put them out to avoid squash vine borers although I didn't have any problems last year but I also didn't have any squash either. Have been lucky enough to set the tomatoes and peppers outdoors to enjoy the nice weather - at least for now.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9501689

I am only taking a break for a few minutes , I will start my cukes and melons in the next few days , ditto here about the tomatoes and peppers ..
STILL organizing this conglomeration ,I have well over a hundred plants to take of going for 2 hundred . Takes some doing for me .. lol

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9502008

Starting of the weeping cherry blooms. Here come the tulips. After moving in this past September, we ripped out about 3/4 of the bushes and I am currently waiting for things to come up so that I can see what we have. I found a great niche behind really poorly growing bushes that now has a buddah and soon will have ferns and shade-loving flowers surrounding it. I'll post as progress continues. I've started to relocate some things, like hostas in full sun, moving them to around tree bases.

Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu   Thumbnail by FLStu      

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 30, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9503060

It looks like you're going to have a parade of tulip blooms. I'm waaay to casual (can you say negligent?) for tulips. I've planted some over the years but they eventually quit blooming for me. I generally end up with one or two blooming in very strange places.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9505955

Planted a test tomato plant yesterday . I doubt it makes it , never safe until June , Pumpkin vines are growing also .,, well we will see in a while
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 5, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9509015

You are brave with the tomato plant-out even though you're warmer than me. I'll be waiting a couple of more weeks before being brave.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9509554

A couple of my attempts from rooting Clematis

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 6, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9510504

Have those cuttings already rooted? I think I've tried with florist clematis once - it's more of a shrub - but can't remember if I was successful or not. If I was, I probably gave it away.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9510556

Yes rooted , mostly ,, and growing , I have a couple of red ones rooted also ,, just learning and trying for now ... Lot of that going on ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 6, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9510929

Congrats on clematis! I'd have more but don't have enough climbing space. I think I have 7 at the moment but one has been really struggling for a couple of years and another one - a substitute made by mail order company - has never bloomed for me although it grows very well. Perhaps it needs a new location but am at a loss where to put it without having to take out some other climber.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9511216

Thank you for the complement , That is a lot of Clematis , are they hybrids? , do have a particular favorite(s)? Everyone seems to favor the blue to extreme .. They are a nice plant they are right though ,aren't they?
I think I have put up stake poles and planted beans to the extreme of terrorism ..lol
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 7, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9512078

I think 'Jackmanii' is one of my favorites but I also like the smaller ones like the C. integrifolia and viticella as well. Those I let climb with other types of vines since they're a little more delicate.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9512097

'Guernsey Cream' is my favorite.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 8, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9513176

Had to google 'GC' - it's a beaut!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9518458

Yes those are nice Clematis ...
Tonight's refugees ,, okay kids ,, time to come in !! As posted on a thread or two .. the second pix goes around the corner ,, with at least as many ,,
As you can see in the first pix . this even got to the kitchen sink ,.. A roomful anyway .

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9519325

Planted runner beans today and got a nice surprise in one flower bed , The Firebird Agastache have returned I thought they rotted away ..One sprig and another a real tiny sprout .. I enjoyed the surprise of their return !!
Still lost all my ice plants and Gallo blanket flower .. Although the Burgundy Blanket flowers are everywhere ..Even my Grandiflora did not return though , how strange is that?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 14, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9520120

I'm not good with sun-loving plants but perhaps the sites favor one plant over the other?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9520764

Previous is likely . we all have it happen don't we ..
Blooming today ,, A Tomato plant .. and Away we go!!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9520814

I should of added that when I lose the plant to frost in two weeks , you can all giggle and growl with me ..crazy weather ...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 15, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9521379

I don't see any frost in my extended forecast although it might get into the low 40's next weekend. Now I'm wondering if I should plant my tomatoes this afternoon. What a dilemma. I did buy a couple of tomato plants at the nursery last week and they have flowers but I'm not expecting any pollination yet because the bees can't get to them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9521543

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1308955/ You might like some of this thread ,
Plants are keeping me busy.. I just like taking chances , I guess lol
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 16, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9522963

Do you mean the bits about tomato pollination, bee colony collapse or laptops? :) DD in MI is awaiting arrival of her bees next week. She's got the hive constructed and ready to go.
Planted a few tomatoes yesterday - 'Riesentraube'. 'Black Krim' (giving it a second chance) and 'Mortgage Lifter' (bought at a nursery). Have room for one more in a large pot and can't decide between 'Wisconsin 55' and 'Velvet Queen'. Will have to do some research I guess to pick the winner. Also got one each of 6 different peppers planted - banana, cayenne, habanero, jalapeno, serano and a hot, little ornamental pepper called 'Aurora'. DH wants to experiment with making spicy salsa this summer. He kind of likes dabbling in specialty food items - brews beer, cures/smokes bacon, bakes bread - so now some salsa. If we had more space for a bigger vegetable garden, he'd love to dabble in growing as well. Haven't planted out the cucumbers or squash yet until I can see if we're really going to have a cool spell next week. Peas are finally taking off and starting to climb. They've been in the ground a month but I think the drier weather has slowed them up.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9523048

I am sitting here having dinner ,, good thing because your convo' is making me hunger all the more ..
Love recipies and eating all the things mentioned ((when their food) but I am not much in the kitchen ,(it happens)
I was talking to you about pollination of Tomato blooms , What folks were saying , wind, shaking the plant , bees ,, so forth . about how the blooms pollinate or do not .. (only thought you might like reading a few of those )
I am thinking (maybe) it may be okay to keep planting and setting out here . just last evening I starting germinating my cucumbers .
A bush variety , and a couple of heirloom types ,,
Trying to avoid last years fiasco , I talked with you and some others about it then , Lettuce Borage are all looking nice , Tomatoes are slow to start , I passed by the Mortgage Lifter , May try next year , My Romanesco is the largest plant so far ,Early started tomato plants got a little skinny with light difficulty and I lost one Farmstead tomato plant to the cold . all else is looking up and forward to a brighter season .
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 17, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9524034

Watch your weather next weekend. I checked Accuweather this morning and it's supposed to get down to 39 next weekend. I'll have to make plans to cover my babies if the forecast holds true.
As for the tomato pollination, I grew 3 in my little greenhouse two summers ago, trying to expand garden space. They grew very tall (they are vines after all) but the heat in there didn't do them much good. I would hand pollinate by tapping the flowers or using a brush. The heat and protected space also encouraged spider mites which were just about impossible to totally eradicate.
The way this conversation is going is making me hungry for a BLT!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9525353

The weather keeps changing for next weekend ,, I will agree though the last week of May always throws a looper ,-blooper at me as far as the garden.(weather wise) parentheses ,, no such thing ...
White flies now and then and spider mites do seem difficult when it comes to indoor type growing ,, always something .

I am glad the flowers and greens are doing well so far , Had over a dozen cucumbers that germinated very quickly and I had to run them out to the garden and plant them ,, overwhelmed myself with little plants ..
Planted a
Black Krim
Black Cherry
Mammoth wonder
and another that skips my mind at this moment .. About 16 Tomato plants in the garden (not sure) I am hoping for decent weather and I am sure you are doing the same .. Lot of chore gone in minutes to the weather the past couple of seasons.

Could just be setting myself up for loss , and I hope not ,, out of seeds of some of these . That reminds me , the Brandywine yellow tomato seeds I planted back in February , One of them sprouted next to one of my pepper plants last night , just think , only three months to sprout ...quick time !!!!lol
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 19, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9526041

3 months for a tomato seed to germinate? I don't think I'm that patient. :)
At the rate the oak tree flowers are falling this week, I think we're in for a bumper crop of acorns this fall. Ugh. My green lawn has now turned brown they're so thick.
Friday night now looks to be about 42. Better than the 39 predicted a couple of days ago.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9528665

Some plants in the garden ,, mulching in progress .(when is it not ?) I am really happy with pic 4&5 ..oh yeah!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9528670

And more plants

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9528674

and more tomato plants , All these are different plants and varieties .. a lot for me , not usually this many

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 22, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9529570

The first tomato of the season! All your patience over the winter has paid off!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9529728

We'll see .. that 42 tomorrow I could lose that tomato ,, no covers where it is at .. That aggravates my wit's
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 23, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9530960

I have 3 tomatoes in the ground with cages around them so I'm planning on draping old bath towels over the cages to hopefully protect the tomatoes. Since the tomatoes aren't even a foot high yet, they're low enough to the ground and somewhat sheltered so maybe the warmth (?) from the soil will help insulate them. Of course! This was the year I decided not to wait until Memorial Day to plant. Cold, windy and rainy here today. I'm doomed to stay indoors and wash all of the plant pots and trays.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9531063

juhur... 42 will hurt the tomatoes? Didn't think that you would need to worry unless there was frost (which is also possibly forcasted, but normern areas from Chicago, I think).

Been planting perennials for a few weeks now. Covered certain ones with buckets last week when they said possible frost, but all did OK. Been planting and moving stuff this first season in the house.

This message was edited May 23, 2013 10:48 AM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2013

Post #9531148

It shouldn't , Last time though , burned leaves at mid 40's , These plants do not like cold , I don't know what is different about them from years past , Something is though .
I have grown tomatoes down to 28 degrees . so their leaves burning at the 40 degree temperatures seems rather strange to me also ..
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 23, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9531297

Tomatoes are touchy below 50. A night or two is ok but 40? I'd rather be safe than sorry with the babies.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9531355

These I have for replacements and will be in tonight at least , we will see what tomorrow brings ,, Yosemite Sam comment ,,,lol very little lol

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 24, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9532859

I did cover some tender things last night with big old bath towels and clothespins and have already done the same for tonight. The tomato cages make great supports for the towels. Also had to cover up blue sky vine and a few other tropicals out on the patio. Sure hope tonight is the last of the cold. A lower branch on my 'Riesentraube' tomato in a pot looks a little wilty. Not sure if the cold got to it last night under the edge of the towel or not.
Good thing you have some replacements, juhur. I do have one still unplanted but it's a different variety. How cold is it supposed to get at your place?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9532871

I was reading through a thread when you posted this ,,41 degrees for tonight , last nights 42 resulted in 44 to 46 degrees , as to where you where locally .
One casualty , a plant that was not doing well to begin with ,house plants are in tonight , Accidentally left a spider plant on the front porch last night , no damage to the plant though ,, (Whew) .
Not to take chances with the house plants ...

Bean beetles have began to appear here , the cold might slow them down . maybe? I will get to them in a few days ...

I forgot . The paste type tomato plants increased a third in stem size . and grew , they liked the cool boost evidently

This message was edited May 24, 2013 7:53 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 25, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9533826

I didn't cover my tray of coleus, left out on the back patio up against the house, and a few of the top leaves look like it was a little too cold for their liking. Supposed to get down to 45 tonight according to Accuweather. Didn't get any break in the clouds today and we may get some rain momentarily.
I managed to get out today to re-edge the back beds and pull weeds. Still have a few more hours of that to do (if my back holds out) and then I can start planting the annuals. Yippee!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9533859

It has been a cloud covered cold day here all day , Raining now , I came in after potting a few more Clematis ,,
Most of the vegetable plants will probably like the rain with the cold . I find it uncomfortable myself .. lol
I have a few marigolds and zinnia planted around the place , Oh yes and red Amaranth ..

Yes indeed,, time for Advil or Aleve, Good luck with Coleus and annuals
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 27, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9535997

I actually got a chance to plant some annuals yesterday morning. Not nearly enough time but it was a start. Cool and rainy again today and I think you and I are due for some thunderstorms tomorrow. Also saw a warning about possibly severe weather coming Friday. I was hoping the peas would take off but I don't think they cared for the hot weather last week but they are liking this cooler, wetter stuff and are finally vining. I know my lawn is loving it too as it's still recovering from last summer's nasty weather.
Rhodies have been blooming for a week now as well as Weigela and Deutzia. Roses have buds but I think they're a week away from opening up. Columbine are all blooming. Hoping with the warmer temps this week that the tomatoes and peppers will start to grow as well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9545007

I didn't many flowers at that time in that catagory ..

I long time back I was talking about super bolooming tomatoes that bloomed straight from the stem trunk ,
I use to have a Supermarket Marglobe that produced super quantity with quality
Well here is what I was talking about , blooming from the trunk , this a Romanesco here's the pic

Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 4, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9545771

Whoa - that tomato bloom is different. Does a resulting tomato grow any differently than if it were on a branch?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9546041

Not really . or last time . I grew 14,000 tomatoes on 4 or five plants in 1974 with supermarket Marglobe that had the blooms like that
Remember last year when the "how my grandfather grew triple the usual produce " The tape that was being advertised , then I was talking here about the difference of the tomato plant blooms , that I remembered the plants bloomed different to do that then ,,
There were several you could manipulate to that type bloom in that previous pic . I haven't seen this type bloom since back then .
I knew they were somewhere in all the type of tomato plants ,,lol
When you get a small type cherry to that , the tomatoes are incredible , strong and beautiful ,,

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9546188

Check this out .. a sugar lump , bloom set on trunk stem , bloom set on leaf stem .. pics are not that good . might try again ..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9546314

These a little clearer . Main stem of this plant is not much larger than the side branching ... still there are possibilities..

Pic 1 main trunk or stem
Pic 2 the leaf with buds

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 5, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9547456

I'm still a novice when it comes to growing tomatoes. It will be interesting to watch your tomato development with those types of flowering.
I'm growing 'Mortgage Lifter' for the first time and the leaves on it sure look different - broader, heftier - that my minimal experience is used to. Guess the plant will have to be heftier to support those large tomatoes that I'm "supposed" to get on that plant.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9547496

That is Potato leaf variety , Standard leaf , or Jungle leaf Tomatoes ..
My Belle Starr paste and Romanesco Pantano seem to be growing the best
Both an easy paste tomato , that brings to light , I am not that good and at that many of them ..(might be because I define to individual plants to much) They look pretty good , and the Broad Ripple Currant made lots of volunteer plants from last year , About two weeks of them sprouting here and there
Would you say your Mortgage lifter is the potato or standard leaf.
Cucumbers are going ,,only off to a slow start .
Well back to sweating and mulching it's kinda hot today ,, sunny ..
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 9, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9551922

Interesting comments about potato-leaf varieties. Had to look it up as I didn't know there were different types of leaves. Thanks for inspiring me to look it up. I'd say that 'ML' is a cross between the two leaf varieties, leaning closer to the potato leaf variety.
My cucumber starts got a little set back with the cold nights a couple of weeks ago. I had started them indoors but am wondering if I should just direct sow a few seeds as insurance.
Peas are flowering and it seems late but they had a little trouble getting started this year.
I have mulching material (last year's shredded leaves) ready but haven't started yet. Hoping to at least mulch the veggies this week.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9552726

I can't say about the cucumbers , mine always get ate or something happens when I direct so , my restarts are doing well though and this and part of next week is all the time I have left to plant .
I know Cherokee purple,& Brandywine yellow are potato leaf varieties of tomato .I do not do well with them on average .
My Black cherry a jungle leaf burned at those 40 degree temperatures earlier , should not of happened, it is alive only not looking good now .
Another week or so and the Pantano is going to be 5 ft. tall growing real well .
All the others are slow and "iffy" looking as of now .
I learned (more like read) the information about blooms, leaf , bud manipulating . in the early 70's from Organic Gardening ,, that was and still is some "great "stuff" if you enjoy it..
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 11, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9554875

You mentioned "Organic Gardening" - I listen to Mike McGrath regularly on podcasts and he's written a couple of books on growing tomatoes. I think he was also an editor for "OG" at one time. He did mention recently that some heirloom tomatoes tend to get much taller and it's hard to support them.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9555037

Sorry all, been away a bit but caught up on the threads.
I am so sorry to hear abut Helene. She was a lovely woman and I have some wonderful pieces from her that will stay with me in my blankets.

Pat... hope Ben is doing better. This too shall pass. Good luck on the move and congrats on the new job. Two houses ago, I had two weeks before Christmas to pack up the house by myself and move. That's the time frame that the buyers wanted so that they could get in before the new year. No time off from work. No one to help pack. Some quick decissions on things that I didn't need to hold onto any longer. It CAN be done.

Hope everyone else is healing, having fun and, above all, surviving the natural disasters (tornados, Tropical storms, etc.) that are happening around us.

I've been spending most of the last few weekends in the garden. I laid out four palettes of landscapoing blocks, moved some bushes and a good many hostas, took inventory on what I have inherited in the previous owners' landscaping and either got rid of, moved or am working around that. I found a local nursery of my dreams that has a great deal of the things that I see in Bluestone Perennials and other catalogues. I've spent over an hour there each time I've gone and have only been through the perennials and some of the shrub/tree areas. Haven't stepped into the annual or garden art /landscape area. When it gets too hot to work outside, hopefully, all will be done that I wish to for the summer and I will get back into the sewing room.

Wish everyone a great next few weeks and will be trying to keep checked in on DG. But the pull to the yard is too tempting in our new habitat. And it takes me time to explain to my SO why that bush can't stay there when he thinks it's perfectly fine the way it is... LOL.

STU

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 11, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9555350

Stu - you need to share the name of the nursery of your dreams! I'm salivating.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9555488

It's Sunrise Nursery -- Woldhuis Farms. IN 2 turns into 17 in IL and you make a left at 9200 Ave. (or St.)

http://www.woldhuisfarms.com/

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9555617

Sorry.. The first of the posts was placed in the wrong forum.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 14, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9558699

Stu - I go at least once a year to Sunrise. They have tons of plants and pots and trees. I could easily spend at least half a day and a fortune there but the truck can only hold so much. Nice thing about them is that they're open well into the fall, unlike some other nurseries that really only sell mostly annuals until they're inventory is gone. Sunrise does stay pretty current on plant varieties too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9567008

That one's a little far away for me or I would be there . Picked my first tomato today , Not much doing besides that , Deciding where next years flowers will go . I have a rue plant , a coccineum mum, feverfew, fleabane , korean mint . I have to decide where these will go . peppermint and chocolate mint are in ,. I don't think I will like the chocolate mint , it's little leaves taste like drinking a bottle of perfume to me ,, blah .
My little firebird agastache are still trying , sad looking though.. as far as size .. oh well keep on trying , seems I always am ..
Oh yeah my daylily crosses from seed , still contemplating where they will go ..
Have early huckleberries starting to ripen ,cool ...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

June 21, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9567341

Be careful with that rue plant - it can cause some skin issues for some people.
I had thought agastache was a little tougher but I lost a small one as well - maybe it didn't like being in a pot though.
Huckleberries - how are your seed-started plants doing?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9567667

I have about 51-20 plants in the garden , leaves get bug chewed some, a few on the drive still in pots , they pot dwarfed or something didn't grow right anyway .
Plants in the garden are the ones I started from seed , first berries in a few days to about a week , I still have to learn to tell when they are completely ripe .

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9582260

GREEN Tomatoes

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9582268

The Huckleberries no harvest yet , getting close ..

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 2, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9583164

Whoa - nice crop of tomatoes! I've got some small fruits on my plants but not as bountiful as yours. The tomato flowers on a couple of my plants are huge this year and the plants themselves are a lot stronger than last year. Hard to tell why since the weather is sooooo different, we've had adequate rain and I'm using a different fertilizer and mulching. What are you going to do with your huckleberry fruits? Jam?
Remember when we were chatting about JBs last year and how it would be nice to entice some of the wild birds to go after them? I have a sparrow who stops by my porcelain berry vine (the primary plant the JBs go for) which grows on a large trellis. Don't see any nesting materials and the bird is only there for a moment or two but it rustles around in the foliage as if looking for something. Could I be that lucky??? The JBs don't seem as bad as last year but it hasn't been as hot. I know they like flying around in the sun when it's warm so maybe our rainy days have minimized their population.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9583490

So far the cooler weather is nice as far as that !!! beetles , grasshoppers , and such , much fewer .. it helps !! Came back to say it makes since that Japanese sparrows would like Japanese Beetles . Always hoping !
That's a belle starr paste tomato in the pic , old time semi dwarf ..

I don't know if I even like the tomatoes or the huckleberries yet .. we will decide what to do then . That is one tomato plant in the pic . and there are a couple of them in the garden ,, hoping for lots of tomatoes .. juice, ketchup, sauce..
Most of this year it's been lettuce , nettle , and mint tea from the garden ..
Most of the beans I will save for seed , had some bean salad the other night though , with beans from the garden ..

This message was edited Jul 2, 2013 10:33 PM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 3, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9584532

What kind of beans are you growing?
My snow peas took a beating in the storms last week. Even though they're on trellises, the rain bent the main stems. Happily though the peas keep on growing and producing. I did lose the top of a clematis for the same reason, flower buds and all, since the stems were just kinked too much. Tomatoes are happy with the rain but I doubt there's much pollination going on with the damp, drizzly weather.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9584962

Let's see
#4&5 Kentucky wonder green bean
1&2 Red runner bean
#3 Speckled lima There is a bush bean romanesco and windsor bush bean also in the garden

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9584968

Some other tomato plants and cucumbers .
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 3, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9584974

Can you eat the red runner beans? What is the flavor like?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9584975

Whoops where went the pics ?

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 3, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9584976

Ach! Cucumbers - my two transplants didn't like that cold spring we had and only one is barely limping along. I did direct sow some seed but nothing's popped up yet. And I had good luck last year. Might have to break down and go buy a plant at the local garden center.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9584977

I haven't tried as of yet ,, wondering enough ,, that I am hesitating about that .

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9585003

My neighbors two cucumber plants are huge and setting ,, mine look tiny in comparison. But I have been eating the little yellow tomatoes..
Everything is what it is ..

The cucumbers in the above are blonde cucumbers I believe . the white wonders died , I do have some spacemaster and lemon growing . and a little indian heirloom cucumber plant is still alive .

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 6, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9589118

You're eating tomatoes already??? Been out of town for a couple of days and hoping to pick up a rosemary plant as well as some cucumbers (if still available).
Came home to around 50 JBs on my porcelain berry vine. I think they waited until I went out of town to invade in larger numbers.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9589150

Only the little yellow ones as first pic two posts above yours .Only about half a dozen so far ,,
Hope for your berry vine , killed two JB's last week and saw a stink bug this morning as it started raining ..
Lots of purple plums for the first time in five or six years , and two giant red plums from the tree way in the back . a first for either .. a long wait ..
Most of the it has been red beetles on the milkweed , and much earlier I saw one and only one cucumber beetle .. man those things ..
Something chewed through the Larkspur and California poppy stems , they are both still alive , and that's about all they they are . Centarurea Cornflower looks allright ... My melons are about a waste so far , nothing new there , one small cucumber has set on one of the vines , I 'll be darned if I know which one yet though. marker destroyed by rain , and my memory we aren't going discuss here (neither do you want to ) lol
a centaurea a romanesco tomato , huckleberries taking their time to ripen

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 7, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9589924

I like that cornflower!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9590697

Oenathera biennis biennial primrose ,, one darn pretty weed though ..

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9591255

I hope juhur7 doesn't mind, but here's the continuation of the thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263907/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America