Photo by Melody

Article: Nun's Orchid -- A Good Choice for Beginners: I love these!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Nun's Orchid -- A Good Choice for Beginners
bookmark
Forum: Article: Nun's Orchid -- A Good Choice for BeginnersReplies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9375202

I had a large stand of nun's orchid in one of my garden beds. It was growing there for several years and was quite large. Then Katrina came and wiped it pout - along with everything else in the garden. So I started a new group a few years ago & they were doing quite well. Then I got chickens who developed a love of nun's orchid leaves! And before I knew it, those were gone also. I've got to find a new locations - away from chickies - to plant a new grouping this spring.

They do quite well in the ground in New Orleans. I've learned that they cannot take the hot mid-day sun, so I try to give them only morning or afternoon direct sunlight.
Jo-Ann

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 11:39 AM
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9375203

I forgot to attach the picture!
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ronsgarden
Grafton NSW
Australia

January 7, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9378366

here in Australia they are called "the swamp orchid" as they grow naturaly in swampy areas from Northern New South Wales to up through Queensland, where it ranges from sub tropical to tropical, I have seen them growing in the wild not far from where I live, a truely spectacular sight, I grow mine in pots sitting in a tray of water, the same as my carnivorous plants

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Nun's Orchid -- A Good Choice for Beginners Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
About the name... Raykhona 0 Jan 7, 2013 6:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America