Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Large Leafy plant in garden, please help ID

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Marsharks
Houston, TX

January 5, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9376078

I planted some broccoli and I thought I was transplanting all broccoli, however, this plant started growing. Of course my other 9 plants are broccoli. I am in Houston, Texas and any mulch in my garden is from this area. The bottom part has a thick stalk like Kale. It tastes like grass. I don't notice any large bulb for the root.

Thumbnail by Marsharks   Thumbnail by Marsharks
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9376150

Kinda reminds me of Mustard…Brassica juncea… Kind of….?
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9376159

I wonder if it is one of the mustards with edible leaves?
Many of these plants can cross pollinate each other, and many are weeds that grow in the wild, and many of the seeds look similar enough that the seed sorter cannot tell.
Sure looks like a Brassica.
You say it tastes like grass, so mild flavor (at least when young), but maybe not appealing.

Lets see the flowers! But not if you intend saving the seeds from your broccoli. I would not want them to cross.
Marsharks
Houston, TX

January 5, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9376203

My broccoli hasn't flowered yet either. I thought it might be mustard, but doesn't look like the mustard here. I haven't tasted it since it became larger. Ill let it flower.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 5, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9376220

Are there wild Brassicas in your area? We have a bright yellow flowered mustard, a paler yellow and several purple and white flowered types that I think are a bit more like radish (but not that big root). Your seedling looks like one that grows around here with light purple and white flowers.
Also in that plant family are:
Turnip
Rutabaga
Radish
Mustard
Kale
Broccoli
Brussels Sprout (leaves a lot like Broccoli)
Cauliflower (leaves a lot like Broccoli)
Cabbage
Flowering Cabbage (Yours is not this- very distinctive leaves)
several items lumped together as Asian Greens
other, less often grown things.
Quite a few garden flowers, too. Not sure if any look like your seedling, though, and probably not close enough related to cross with each other or the vegetables.
Marsharks
Houston, TX

January 14, 2013
7:58 PM

Post #9385367

So far no flowers have emerged, it just gets bigger and bigger. Anyone have a positive ID for this plant?
Marsharks
Houston, TX

January 20, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9391474

Here is the latest photo, sill no ID yet, except what it could be. But what is it?

Thumbnail by Marsharks
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9391490

It still looks like Mustard greens to me. :-) Have you tasted any of it?
Marsharks
Houston, TX

January 20, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9391512

Yes, I have tasted it. It would be a mild Mustard Greens. I was hoping to know the variety if it was. That is what I first thought it was, but when I looked at the ones in the stores, I didn't see my kind. This must have gotten mixed up in some Broccoli seeds I bought.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9392054

I think I'd be tempted to contact the seed company, send this picture, and maybe they could give a definitive answer. It's for sure, a variety that I've not seen before.
Marsharks
Houston, TX

January 21, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9392086

I saw a picture last night of Broccoli Raab which looked similar to this. I guess I will keep letting it grow and see what develops
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9392094

Broccoli Raab it looks like to me. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America