Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: Hawk?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9376442

I'm guessing juv. Red-Shouldered since I can't find any other hawk with orange on it like this. Sorry, this is an iphone pix, I didn't have my camera with me.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9376534

Not even Red-shouldered Hawk ever has that bright a red on its wings. I suspect this is a Red-shouldered Hawk, but that the red here is actually a wing tag (put on by a researcher to track its migration, etc.), not part of the plumage.

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9376539

Ah, Resin, you beat me to it. I was wondering if it was a tag similar to the one you mentioned in this thread ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1283421/?hl=

I wonder if it's the same bird? Both in Illinois. I don't know how close Whiteside County is to Lemont?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9376545

you know, I thought it might be a tag too, but it was on both sides and when it flew off, it really looked like it was a spread of feathers. Lemont is close enough I suppose.

I might have to go looking for this again to see if I can get some tag info.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9376548

PS. Found this on the IL bird forum. So perhaps a 2012 tagged bird.

Date: 10/19/2010

USDA APHIS Wildlife Services (WS) and the National Wildlife Research Center have started a mark/re-sighting study on red-tailed hawks as part of the ongoing efforts to find non-lethal solutions to wildlife issues at airports.

For the mark/re-sighting study, we are marking roughly 200 birds/year for the next three years and relocating them 50, 75, 100, and 125 miles due west of a major airport in the Chicago region. This year the tags are green with white numbers ranging from 000 to 200. Next year (2011) they will be white with black numbers 000 to 200, and the following year (2012) orange with black numbers 000 to 200. We want to see if there is a difference in the return rates of the birds back to the airport, depending on how far away from the airport we move them. These birds will also be fitted with a metal USGS leg band.

If anyone observes these birds, please feel free to contact Craig Pullins (craig.k.pullins@aphis.usda.gov) at (773) 686-6742 or Travis Guerrant (travis.guerrant@aphis.usda.gov) at (773) 686-6955. If possible, time, date and GPS location would be greatly appreciated, but any information you can provide would be helpful.

Thank you,

Travis Guerrant
Wildlife Biologist, IL Wildlife Services

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9376590

Wow. How cool to see one of the birds in the study! Very interesting. Let us know if you get additional info on the bird.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America