HELP Fungus Gnat invasion

Arlington, TX

I have a shelf with fl. lights where I keep some cactus and succulents, some all year some just for the winter. I also have some Nepanthes and sundews. I got some new sundews (5) and now I see gnats in the LFS moss in the CP pots. How the devil do you get rid of these? I don't think they will bother the other plants, too dry. But I did have to toss one orchid that was in prime agra (sp?) rocks that was full of them. I checked the other orchids and they seem fine. Suggestions? I got to get rid of these things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CP plants are very sensitive to anything put on them.
C

Decatur, GA

Hoping someone has an answer.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Get a package of "Mosquito dunks". Put one quarter of one in your watering can. Water with that. It kills the larva in the soil. Use sticky traps for the adults. It'll take a while but this works. Ask me how I know!

Arlington, TX

Darn, I just ordered some nematodes. I do have some mosquito dunks for my pond. I will definately do that today. Thanks! I am overrun by the things!
C

Decatur, GA

Do the Mosquito dunks dissolve? How much water per 1/4 dunk?
Also where to get Mosquito dunks?
Thanks!

Arlington, TX

I mail ordered mine. I didn't have the dunks but did have the same thing in pellet form. Go to a pond site to find them at this time of year. Many stores also carry them in the gardening/pond section. I just dumped a bunch into a gallon of water for my indoor plants. I don't think they hurt any plants so a little extra won't do any harm. Tommy might have more precise directions as I just did what seemed reasonable to me.
C

Decatur, GA

Thanks. Since my question I found many sources with a google search.
Helen

Menasha, WI

Newtonsthirdlaw, Do you have any sundews? I have one just for that purpose. The gnats feed the plant quite well. When I go to orchid shows they are always selling sundews along with the orchid plants. Good luck, cll

Arlington, TX

I have a few, thats where the gnats are living! They like the moist soil in the sundew pots.

Menasha, WI

Wow! I guess let the plants dry out a bit. The bugs are usually in the top quarter inch or so of soil. You can also try the sticky traps like are used in greenhouses. Or maybe a soil drench with something. I worked at a greenhouse that grew pointsettias. There was always sticky traps on every growing bench. Again, good luck, cll

Arlington, TX

Used mosquito dunks and did buy the sticky traps. You can't let the sundews dry out, thats the problem. I must admit there has been plenty of food for my various indoor carnivores but enough is enough! I have more than just a few. But I already see a big difference and the yellow traps have some adults stuck to them.
C

Menasha, WI

Great! Hope you continue to have progress. Cll

Do NOT let the Sundews dry out. Use Mosquito dunk water in their water try(s). Mine are always in a water tray with at least a quarter inch of water in it. In the winter some need to be kept just moist but never dry.

Vista, CA

We keep the fungus gnats out of the Greenhouses by use of Bayer's Insect, Disease & mite Control. Or any product that has a 0.47% Imidacloprid content. We use this in watering during gnat season. We have not had gnats in the greenhouses for a couple of years or more since we started using Imidacloprid.

There are Much less expensive brands and more potent concentrations of the Imidacloprid are available if one needs quantity. The other sources are on the web. Usually a large bottle equivalent to 20-40 so bottles of Bayer' can be had for less than 1/4 the cost ...We treat just before the Fall growing spurt and then again just before Spring.

Imidacloprid (a systemic) works on killing the larvae of the fungus gnats. No larvae->>no adults after a week or so. We don't use Imidacloprid in outdoor gardens..too pricey and the gnats are good food for the endangered gnatcatcher birds indigenous to our region.

Imidacloprid also stops mealy bugs, aphids, white fly and other sucking pests.

Because these pests are not able to live on treated plants, the ant problem associated with sucking insects is minimized. The Imidacloprid is not toxic to ants, the ants just have nothing to 'Milk' because their sucking 'Cows' are no longer around after sucking a few larvae-sips of Imidacloprid.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 5:54 PM

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I know this is an old post but just thought I just mention since I have been actively growing Utrics indoors I have seen a nearly 100% absence of the gnats in and around my CP pots. Any straggler adults left get eaten by my Mex Pings.

Arlington, TX

The mosquito dunks worked like magic! The few adults left ended up on the sticky traps I bought or stuck to the sundews. I actually think a few gnats might not be a bad thing but I was overrun with them so I had to take action. I dont grow either of those plants but have been thinking of putting a hardy bladderwort into my pond.
C

Great news! Congrats!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images