Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cacti and Succulents: HELP Fungus Gnat invasion

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 16, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 5, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9376451

I have a shelf with fl. lights where I keep some cactus and succulents, some all year some just for the winter. I also have some Nepanthes and sundews. I got some new sundews (5) and now I see gnats in the LFS moss in the CP pots. How the devil do you get rid of these? I don't think they will bother the other plants, too dry. But I did have to toss one orchid that was in prime agra (sp?) rocks that was full of them. I checked the other orchids and they seem fine. Suggestions? I got to get rid of these things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CP plants are very sensitive to anything put on them.
C
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 6, 2013
4:00 AM

Post #9376894

Hoping someone has an answer.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 6, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9376900

Get a package of "Mosquito dunks". Put one quarter of one in your watering can. Water with that. It kills the larva in the soil. Use sticky traps for the adults. It'll take a while but this works. Ask me how I know!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 6, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9376905

Darn, I just ordered some nematodes. I do have some mosquito dunks for my pond. I will definately do that today. Thanks! I am overrun by the things!
C
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 6, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9376934

Do the Mosquito dunks dissolve? How much water per 1/4 dunk?
Also where to get Mosquito dunks?
Thanks!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 6, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9376941

I mail ordered mine. I didn't have the dunks but did have the same thing in pellet form. Go to a pond site to find them at this time of year. Many stores also carry them in the gardening/pond section. I just dumped a bunch into a gallon of water for my indoor plants. I don't think they hurt any plants so a little extra won't do any harm. Tommy might have more precise directions as I just did what seemed reasonable to me.
C
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 6, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9376947

Thanks. Since my question I found many sources with a google search.
Helen
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

January 14, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9384568

Newtonsthirdlaw, Do you have any sundews? I have one just for that purpose. The gnats feed the plant quite well. When I go to orchid shows they are always selling sundews along with the orchid plants. Good luck, cll
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 14, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9384645

I have a few, thats where the gnats are living! They like the moist soil in the sundew pots.
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

January 14, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9384734

Wow! I guess let the plants dry out a bit. The bugs are usually in the top quarter inch or so of soil. You can also try the sticky traps like are used in greenhouses. Or maybe a soil drench with something. I worked at a greenhouse that grew pointsettias. There was always sticky traps on every growing bench. Again, good luck, cll
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 14, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9384851

Used mosquito dunks and did buy the sticky traps. You can't let the sundews dry out, thats the problem. I must admit there has been plenty of food for my various indoor carnivores but enough is enough! I have more than just a few. But I already see a big difference and the yellow traps have some adults stuck to them.
C
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

January 14, 2013
10:45 PM

Post #9385483

Great! Hope you continue to have progress. Cll
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 16, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9387610

Do NOT let the Sundews dry out. Use Mosquito dunk water in their water try(s). Mine are always in a water tray with at least a quarter inch of water in it. In the winter some need to be kept just moist but never dry.
thistlesifter
Vista, CA

January 23, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9395341

We keep the fungus gnats out of the Greenhouses by use of Bayer's Insect, Disease & mite Control. Or any product that has a 0.47% Imidacloprid content. We use this in watering during gnat season. We have not had gnats in the greenhouses for a couple of years or more since we started using Imidacloprid.

There are Much less expensive brands and more potent concentrations of the Imidacloprid are available if one needs quantity. The other sources are on the web. Usually a large bottle equivalent to 20-40 so bottles of Bayer' can be had for less than 1/4 the cost ...We treat just before the Fall growing spurt and then again just before Spring.

Imidacloprid (a systemic) works on killing the larvae of the fungus gnats. No larvae->>no adults after a week or so. We don't use Imidacloprid in outdoor gardens..too pricey and the gnats are good food for the endangered gnatcatcher birds indigenous to our region.

Imidacloprid also stops mealy bugs, aphids, white fly and other sucking pests.

Because these pests are not able to live on treated plants, the ant problem associated with sucking insects is minimized. The Imidacloprid is not toxic to ants, the ants just have nothing to 'Milk' because their sucking 'Cows' are no longer around after sucking a few larvae-sips of Imidacloprid.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 5:54 PM
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

January 24, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9396644

I know this is an old post but just thought I just mention since I have been actively growing Utrics indoors I have seen a nearly 100% absence of the gnats in and around my CP pots. Any straggler adults left get eaten by my Mex Pings.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 25, 2013
2:46 AM

Post #9396892

The mosquito dunks worked like magic! The few adults left ended up on the sticky traps I bought or stuck to the sundews. I actually think a few gnats might not be a bad thing but I was overrun with them so I had to take action. I dont grow either of those plants but have been thinking of putting a hardy bladderwort into my pond.
C
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 25, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9397658

Great news! Congrats!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America