AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9376472

I put this here for the purpose of expressing that except for four days of temperature last season .I could just as well of been gardening in Texas or the southwest
If the last redundant late frost of May ever ceases to happen , it will exactly the same as a Texas growing season here.
With the exception that the weather never stays the same..Weird huh?
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9376492

lol which part of TX...saying here is that we have two seasons and experience them both in one day
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2013
10:29 PM

Post #9376831

The weather never stays the same here either. Juhur7 what do you mean exactly, it sounds interesting I just remember the North being so humid, I could hardly breath.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2013
10:34 PM

Post #9376832

I mean it is all gone extreme, one year quiet and calm other all storms ,extremes of heat and drought. The only constant is the last frost in May we get the last week of May every year , year after year, If it was not for that last frost ,the warm growing season here would be as long yours...
It ,the weather was nothing like that when I was young here , it all seems strange...sigh
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9377344

That is strange that your growing season is interrupted by a last frost that late in the year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9377352

What is even worse the temps are up to 80 ,like last year , March was warm , April and May were actually hot.Then BAM!! in comes a frost as the plants get to optimal grow time , Year after year all I can say ,and do , as repeated ...is
(I hate that when that happens)!!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9383305

same here. weeks of warm weather and always that last frost messes things up. (mid April) Blankets! get some blankets.
I am always anxious to get spring garden going and so wish I could join in with the warmer state topics.

I read about your eye surgery Juhur. Is it time yet? I hope all goes smoothly for you and a big get well soon.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9383317

The weather is really goofy isn't it Last week we had a blizzard ,after a couple of days we had 20 inches of snow on the ground ,Today it was 65 degrees and I was working in the garden and I was sweating ,go figure huh?
Right at the moment (and the past few hours) We have lightning ,thunder , and rain with a little sleet at 61 degrees with fog .
My lenses get measured on the 16 th the the surgery is scheduled for the 26 th I am told those are "run of the mill " anymore and grandma had both of hers done early last year. and a few family members have had theirs done ,Only,, I for one am still the nervous type !!!!! I worry about !!!!! I really worry about it!!!!!
Thank you for asking , and the good hopes , always appreciated .
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9383733

Good luck with your eye surgery. I remember both my parents had it and they no longer needed glasses but I still did!

We finally have some sun here but it's a chilly 45*

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9383761

Thank you for the good wishes , My parents also had that done, I have a Brother in law that ended up with holes in his eye that have deteriorated , and still are from the same though. He is almost blind in one and the other eye is fading ,, ooh ouch ...
Things like that worry me!! lol Not a good story ,, at all!!!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9383771

It's 73 here at 3 p.m. Normal is in the 50's!

Every year I wish for a crystal ball that would tell me what the weather is going to be, but I never get one! (LOL)
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 14, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9385173

Zone 10B, where it is supposed to be frost free has been going down to 24 and 25 the last few days, so i am just going to change the map to 9A as that will be easier than moving the house.

Given up on the Guava as i finally had some ripe fruit i did not care that much for, but still fighting to save the Lime and Avocados, as well as some other Citrus trees. Wrapped in blankets and spraying with rainbirds all night.

Located just 30 miles north of San Diego, and 8 miles from the coast.

Ernie

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9385187

I feel for you from experience , years of work and patience gone in a degree. That is more frustrating than the weather being inclimate .
Lot of work leaving you with the feeling to" just give up." This three and four zone growing and gardening has got to go,I don't know where or how, only it has to go
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9385212

Ernie-your comment about it being easier then moving the house has me laughing out loud. I know the situation isn't funny but that comment sure is. Good luck!
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

January 14, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9385369

J7 and Lisa,

Thanks for your kind words, but one good thing about it is that it cleared my mind. If the frosts had been lighter, like the 28 and 29 last year, i would have kept trying, but this is so definite, i am just going to plant and or plan, for 25 degrees from now on. There are pretty plants for all zones, so there really is no valid reason for pushing the edge, other than the fletting elation from winning some times.

Ernie

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9385756

Last year our last spring frost came earlier and our first fall frost came later. We had triple digit temperatures during June, July and August.

If the same happens this year, I think I'll change to gardening in the winter, and skip summer gardening completely!

I feel sorry for the trees. They must be VERY confused.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9386411

>> the temps are up to 80 ,like last year , March was warm , April and May were actually hot.Then BAM!! in comes a frost as the plants get to optimal grow time , Year after year ...

If you can predict it a few days ahead, maybe floating row covers or plastic hoop tunnels. Plus rent a huge tent and propane space heaters ...

I have a very prolonged, mild wet winter and cold wet spring ... with random weeks down to 30 or 20 or 10 or 0. If it weren't for those random weeks of real cold, I think I could garden year 'round with one layer of plastic. But those few weeks would kill everything, and they happen randomly any time from January through March.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America