Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: tomatoes in containers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cytf
Staten Island, NY

January 5, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9376516

Have any one tried using water bottles to irrigate the plants and have success.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9376531

do you mean upside down 2 liter bottles. i have had some success with that until the temps get high.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

January 6, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9377292

HI RISINGCREEK, CAN YOU TELL ME THE PROCESS YOU USED
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9377374

i drilled a few holes in the cap, cut off the bottom, filled them up and stuck them in the containers. just refilled when they got close to empty. it is really hot here and hard to overwater anything.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9389937

Check out the Self Contained Box Gardens forum, and peruse the eBuckets thread.

The self watering eBuckets have built in reservoirs that allow the plants access to water when they want it. you can hook up a simple drip irrigation system and run a watering line to each bucket.

Linda

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 9:20 AM

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9392735

Self Contained Box Gardens Forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/boxgardens/all/

Here is where some of the ongoing threads came from. Try paging down to Post #6792900 on July 8, 2009. That is where gessieviolet posted a series of photos on building a reservoir into a 5 gallon bucket.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1011889/
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9461163

I sink gallon water jugs into raised beds.

I place it top up and leave the cap on. I drilled four small holes near the bottom on the sides of the jugs.

I leave the top on to prevent evaporation but loosely so it doesn't create a vacuum and keep the water in the jug. It takes about 24 hours to seep out.

Theoretically it will put the moisture at the roots and cause the roots to search deeper for moisture. I can also add a diluted fertilizer in this manner.

I keep the jugs covered with mulch to prevent algae growth and because I water with rain water, I filter it to prevent anything from blocking the weep holes in the jug.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9462332

Yes, I did that for years. I does work...as long as you don't have too many plants. It does take some time to fill the bottles.

You might try this guy's method of watering. I use drip now, but this looks nice a easy too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUbfpkNEslw At very re-usable.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 26, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9462442

Before I got my large greenhouse I had set up the small house I had with bags , hot water bottles and large juice containers hung up in my old tights, then a friend who was disgusted at the sight of all the tights hanging around got me the bags from doctors supplies that are used for patients who need a drip set up into an arm or whatever, this had the tubes and little screw to adjust the flow of the water dripping into the soil, it worked really great for seedlings but for full grown tomato, cucumber, peppers ect, it was as suggested previously a lot of time consuming refilling, sometimes when a friend phoned me, husband would say "Oh she's out in her operating theatre, it did look a bit like a Dr Spock Lab but don't be put off, it works great for a small set up.

All this gave rise to a much larger new greenhouse and needed a new watering regime set up, however it became a full time job and I ended us using the hosepipe or watering can as the tap is beside the greenhouse, the water pouches are absolutely great IF you only have a small amount of plants needing this type of watering.
I unfortunately HAVE to grow tomato, cucumber, peppers etc inside the greenhouse or I wont have these produce, however the last few years have been a failure due to lack of sunlight and heat so you get the picture why I have a large greenhouse.

Set up your own trial and adjust where required, just dont depend on this untill you have done a whole season and be ready to abandon it IF it's not working, your plants will tell you in a day or two IF they are happy.
Good luck WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America