Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: Dwarf tomato species (need recommendation)

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 19, Views: 265
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9377414

Would any one be able to recommend to me a
good dwarf variety?

I currently am growing a rare one called "Hahms Gelbe Topftomate". The pictures are stunning
and I'm really looking forward to it maturing. I'd like to be introduced to more dwarfs and upon researching
it seems there's so few. That or I'm looking in the wrong place. I do know about Tatiana's tomato
base. Still, any recommendations would be appreciated!
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9377415

Wow,
figured out how to search Tatiana's 'Seed' Catalog.
Didn't realize she had one on top of her database of heirlooms.
I searched 'dwarf' underneath 'description' rather than 'title', and sure enough 30 varieties
of dwarfs popped up. Still open to suggestions however. :)
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9377851

The Dwarf Tomato Project (http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/dwarf-tomato-project-introduction-and-information.html) has introduced several varieties recently, including Dwarf Wild Fred, Rosella Purple, Perth Pride and Iditarod Red, which seem promising.

Several commercial growers list them, including Heritage, Victory, Sandhill and Tomato Growers Supply.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9377908

Gold Nugget (determinate) grows only 3'. It is an amazing producer of yellow cherry tomatoes. It is the first that produce in my garden and its taste is the best.
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1148/92
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9378113

Purchased a few from the dwarf tomato project. Really awesome stuff there!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9382372

I've had good success with Silvery Fir Tree...it's a beautiful plant, and quite prolific for it's size. Taste was good, also.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 11, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9382408

Since Craig LeHoullier, a 24 year friend of mine, is the Dwarf Project cocordinater for the Northern Hemisphere, Patrina in Australia is the Southern Hemi cocordinator, and since Craig raises my plants for me and ships them up here except two years ago he hand delivered them b'c his wife Sue had a niece graduating from college up here, I've been able to grow some of them even before some varieties were completely stable/

The ones I grew were Summertime Green, Summertime Gold, Wild Fred and Sweet Sue and the first two were my faves. If I had more room here I'd grow more.

The Dwarf Project is just that with way over 100 Tomatoville members who are involved in growing out and developing new varieteis.

The Dwarf Project doesn't sell them. Seed is sent to several commercial sites, I think all of them were mentioned above, or you can read about them at Tville, it's they who make money on them, not the Dwarf Project.

I think the two latest to get all of the released ones to date were Tania, and Adam Gleckler was sent seed for all of them this past Spring and when his site is updated for 2013 you should be able to find most of them there as well. I almost forgot that Steve's Heritage seed website alsohasall of them aswell.

Previous to that seeds for varieties, as they were released, were sent to Sandhill Preservation, Victory Seed and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and Tomato Growers Supply. it was up to ALL of these places to renew their own seeds themselves, so I don't know how many have done that.

I got the Sandhill catalog today and Glenn does list some of them. And I was at Steve's Heritage seed site and I think I saw all of them there as well.

I find the project to be very exciting b/c they've introduced many different colors and sizes and shapes as true Dwarfs. that have never existed before. And I saw some striped ones and different colored hearts being worked on now.

The onlypersonwhoisoutmoney isCraigsincehe's the one who really does all the coordination and spendslotsofmoneyon enveopes andpsotage, but no way would he ask for $$$$ back but some folks have sent him some tohelp defray his costs involved.

Carolyn, just noting that at det variety does not mean it's a Dwarf, a compact growing one does not mean it's a true Dwarf either. Craig has written an excellent article as part of the Dwarf Project links at TV defining what a true Dwarf is, which goes back to what was called Tomato de Laye, discovered in France at the Chateau de Laye in the last century, I forget the date, well, it was in the 1800's is about all I remember without checking.
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9382766

Hi Carolyn!
I was really hoping I would see you reply on this post, and so pleased that you did.

I purchased two or three dwarfs from the 'heritage tomato seed' website (heritagetomatoseed.com).
I was really pleased to see they donate a portion of the sales to the dwarf tomato project, Steve who operates
the website told me that through an email. I purchased 'sleeping lady, 'perth pride', and one other I can't remember.

I'll have to check out the websites you mentioned. Sounds very exciting to be involved in that. Wish I was in your shoes. :)

Right, I've been really reading into what really constitutes a true dwarf. Mostly I'm excited about having ROOM in my
little sun room to have tomatoes year round in the winter (haha). I still love the passion involved in the project and only wish
I could be apart of it, great stuff.

Since I have you on here, I just germinated an old german dwarf called "Hahms Gelbe Topftomate". Is that a cultivar you are familiar with or have grown
yourself? I received in a trade, so I know it's a toss up as to if it will truly be the real thing, but the girl apparently has been saving seeds from
this plant for a while, and she got it from her grandmother apparently. Wasn't able to find any history on it.

And how are you this week Carolyn? We're looking at -18 F lows for the next three days straight. REALLY not looking forward to it!

This message was edited Jan 12, 2013 11:03 AM
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 12, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9383029

Since I have you on here, I just germinated an old german dwarf called "Hahms Gelbe Topftomate". Is that a cultivar you are familiar with or have grown it

Yes, I know of it. Manfred Hahm sells seeds off Reinhard Kraft's site and it's he who developed it and no I haven't grown it and probably won't b'c even for this next season I've been sent so many brand new varieties to hopefully offer in my 2014 seed offer at TV.

I decided to take a look at Tania's site to see who might be offering it, and several sites are doing so.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Hahms_Gelbe_Topftomate

Quick post since I'm dealing with my current seed offer at TV and have lots of work to do.

Carolyn
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9421248

Micro Tom Tomato, grows fast, hardy, and plants easily grow in medium flower pots
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9421345

New Big Dwarf- great tomatoes, nearly seedless-
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

February 17, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9421588

I have grown several of the released varieties from the Dwarf project, and they have been wonderful. My favorites so far has been Rosella Purple and Summertime Gold. Well worth growing is also Tasmanian Chocolate and Dwarf Beryl Beauty. From what I read the project is refining Summertime Gold for a deeper color as the current variety is fairly pale. I will be adding Iditarod Red that I have received seeds for this season . I also grew out some promising varieties for the project last summer and look for release in 2014 of one-Dwarf Russian Swirl (red gold bicolor). This summer I am growing a couple of the promising orange varieties since an orange hasn't come out of the project yet, and I would really like to see one become available.
And I agree with JoParrott about New Big Dwarf. Awesome variety that has been in my lineup as long as I can remember.
Below is a picture of one days picking of one Summertime Gold plant.

Thumbnail by nancyruhl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9421675

do you have any picture of the tomato plants?
I am just curious to see how a "dwarf" grow.
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9421840

Here's micro Tom tomato, it breeds true from seed too! http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/7059261
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 17, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9422133

There are those varieties that are very short at maturity such as Micro-Tom and Red Robin and many others, but they aren't called dwarfs b/c Dwarf's have a strong cental stem as well as rugose foliage.

I can't remember if Nancy linked to the article written by Craig LeHoullier, co-director of the Dwarf Project, that definied what a Dwarf really is and it all stemmed, bit of a pun there, LOL, from something called Chateau dd Laye, a real chateau, in France in the late 1800's where the first of it's kind was found.

Summary, there are many hundreds of varieties that are determinate or shorter, but they aren 't dwarfs unless they meet the definition of a Dwarf.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

February 17, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9422144

drthor, I had a response to your question and then it all disappeared, so I will start over. The plants get about 4 feet tall with a very stout central stem. The branches are short also, and grow pretty close to the stem. They get loaded with fruit, so I think it is best to cage them, just the regular cages from any store. Otherwise you run the risk of the branches splitting off.

The foliage is different also. It is rugose, which means to me kinda crinkly and tight. I am attaching one picture of a variety that I grew for the dwarf project last summer as it is the only one I have. I will also insert some demonstration pictures from the web to help. The last picture is Tasmanian Chocolate.

Dwarf Beryl Beauty grew a little differently. The leaves are more open and not rugose, but it is still a dwarf plant. Hope that helps

Thumbnail by nancyruhl   Thumbnail by nancyruhl   Thumbnail by nancyruhl      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9422164

nancyruhl
thanks so much. A picture always explain everything much better.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 17, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9422312

About 10-15 years ago the breeders at Petoseed in CA introduced the Husky series and there were different colored ones and it was b/c the foliage was rugose and deep green that they were ignored by potential buyers of seed , just too different from what they were used to. I think just the Husky Red Cherry is about the only one left butI didn't check that to confirm it.

I happen to think that rugose foliage is beautiful, and leaves are more substantial IMO, which for me growing where I do made them more tolerant of the common fungal and Bacterial foliage pathogens.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Rugose_Leaf_Tomatoes

Above is a list of varieties that have rugose folliage,at least the ones Tania knows of

Carolyn
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

February 18, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9422650

The husky line of tomatoes are carried at grown by Bonnie plants and I just saw them at Wallie World here in Florida. Definitely rugose. I think the foliage is attractive and more disease resistant, also. And, I love the dwarfs and the possibilities they have opened up for small space growers, particularly urban growers. I am involved with a fundraising plant sale for a vocational school in downtown Detroit. Most folks coming to the sale have space for only 1-2 plants, and this fits the ticket for them. But I grow them up at the farm area we have upstate because they give you a lot of tomatoes per plant and for the space they take up.
RiverNymph
the Mountains, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9458155

I'm just going crazy over the new dwarfs. I have a sun room I intend on filling up with dozens of them so that I can reserve the garden space for other things. Last year I had 25 tomato plants and ended up with no room for anything else. Silly me.

The dwarf seedlings I started a few months ago are doing amazing, I'll have to post some pictures.

Looked into the Husky Line, might try one of those out.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America