Mystery Aloes

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 9b)

Mystery Aloes. Anyone recognize these aloes? I don't even remember planting them.
Now they are getting large! They are both about three feet across.
Once again.. Thanks for looking!
Robin

Thumbnail by Ravens444 Thumbnail by Ravens444
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

aloe in right photo is Aloe maculata x striata. No idea what the other one is... could be another hybrid

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 8:12 PM

That's interesting. I have both striata and maculata in the front yard......

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

perhaps it too is the same hybrid, only with the female and male being of the opposite species as the other hybrid? Different phenotypic characteristics of the same mix of genes maybe.

It just funny because these two are not even close. They are in the backyard....50 feet away from each other?

Thank you!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Since we are on the subject of mystery Aloes, does anyone want to have a go at identifying this one? It looks like it has a lot of the characteristics of A. chabaudii, in terms of the flowers and the darkening of the leaves in the Fall/Winter, but of course A. chabaudii is not spotted/speckled and has somewhat larger teeth. I have not been able to find a matching speckled/spotted Aloe, so am suspecting some kind of hybrid, but I mostly have literature for the southern African Aloes, not the central and eastern ones, so I guess I have not exhausted the options that it is a true species. It has been a prolific bloomer, sometimes it has two to three generations of flowers over the winter/spring. This year it started blooming late November which is incredibly early (previous earliest pictures with blooms were late January/early February).
I got it in the winter of 2007 and it has steadily grown from 1 rosette to a nice clump of multiple rosettes with many different flower stalks and it has survived any freezes during that time quite well.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest Thumbnail by mcvansoest
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

looks a bit like Aloe macrosiphon but there are a few other spotted species that I am less familiar with that this could fit as well.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Palmbob. After seeing all the other articles you wrote for DG on Aloes I should have searched for Spotted Aloes to get to the article you wrote on them. I looked at A. macrosiphon, indeed looks like it captures the leaves and coloration of the plant quite well, but the flowers are definitely a little different, the individual flowers stand off from the stalk more than those of A. macrosiphon, so maybe some form of hybrid.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

maybe, but remember there is variation in all species, sometimes extreme (different colored flowers, different branching... even different times of the year)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah that is true. I will tentatively add that to the name and keep my eyes out for any supporting evidence.

Could the first be Aloe swynnertonii?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

could be... but frankly that species looks the same as a dozen other spotted aloes, all which only the flowers separate them (and barely).

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.