Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Home Decorating: help with kitchen/ dining window treatment

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 19, Views: 189
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9377625

Would anyone like to suggest how to dress these windows?

We took the wall.out between kitchen and dining and made it asone with a peninsula. I made this simple panel for the kitchen window but not sure if it would work to do the rest this way. It seems like a long straight blah thing would result. Yet i do not like fluff. I used to have a shaped valance sort of thing on all three.

Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg
Click an image for an enlarged view.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9377629

might be difficult with the molding above the sink, but a cornice from the ceiling so it doesnt cover so much of the window?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9377651

Unfortunately that is where the window starts. I was trying to make the window look taller. The bar across the middle gives it away though.
I cam vary the depth of the valance. It is just folded over the rod for now.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9377659

Ugh sorry. Showing that the window stops just above the hem. And that i didn't color my hair very evenly!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9382674

I'll accept advice on backsplash too The granite is bold and I feel the backsplash should be pretty mild. True white seems too white, beige seems to blah.
Maybe
http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Tile-Tile-Porcelain-Tile/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb97m/R-202193360/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UPGEY6X1AzU
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9382770

I like that tile, Sally.

Are you going to dress the windows in the dining area the same as the window over the sink? Instead of just a flat valance how about a few inverted pleats? I like that stripe, too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9382866

I guess I "should" make the windows all the same. Shouldn't I ?
There is no privacy need requirement.
THere is a need for some sun control but just early AM in winter when it angles into your eyeballs at sun up
8 ^O
which is why the Bali blind (that I now see falling apart a bit)
Pleats could be nice- could make the red peek out maybe. THis fabric is like a canvas from the summer selection so I may not even get more of this but have to get something along this idea.

With beadboard and egg knobs and cup handles I feel a nice traditional thing going on then the granite feels modern. I can't figure out where the backsplash and window decor fit in that spectrum.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9382985

What about a lace valance?
Can you do a marble back splash? How far up do you want to go?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9383000

Lace doesn't appeal to me, not my style thanks.

Thinking of how to cover the area between counter and cabinets. It used the be tile the whole way. I actually don't feel a need for a whole washable surface. Maybe a four to six inch backsplash, paint the rest green like the rest of the kitchen, , and a tile area for over the stove where it can get grease splatter?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9383017

http://www.hgtv.com/window-treatments/adding-color-and-pattern-with-window-valances/pictures/index.html?i=1
Take a look through these pics. 1 & 5 were the two that caught my eye - not necessarily the fabric/rods, but the style.
If you google 'kitchen window treatments' and look at the images, im sure you've done that already.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9383026

Nice choices. I like that #1 also. It is a similar feel to what I have as there is beadboard below those cabinets, and the crown molding...Might be good. I have to look agai and see what holds the rod up, and how o do that on a 6 foot wide dining room window too.

5 is very similar to what I had before. I have used that shaped valance several places in the house over the years.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9383041

#1 looked interesting. No, you don't HAVE to have both windows the same. Heehee.

I just painted my kitchen green last Saturday. It feels like a warm hug. I really like it.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9383981

[quote}With beadboard and egg knobs and cup handles I feel a nice traditional thing going on then the granite feels modern. I can't figure out where the backsplash and window decor fit in that spectrum.[/quote]

Just a couple ideas here Sally hopefully with some pictures!

I'm wondering if you will be replacing the trim molding around your windows ? Some plain natural wood the color of cabinets would help them 'recede' or blend in better with whatever dressing you might choose. Would also be nice if the windows themselves were natural wood and the door a lighter matching stain. This would give some horizontal continuity to balance out the strong verticality of your tall beadboard cabinets . Hope you know what I mean as I don't have the tech terms to use. Did you consider putting a cabinet above the sink window?

Oops, can't put pics in with a quote so I'll make another post

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9384046

I like your wall color so when you said backsplash ideas, in my mind's eye I went to 'beach glass' which brings in a little more natural, but lighter than more stone, and more modern than reg tile and subtle, not drawing much attention to itself, but still adding some texture.

Maybe 3 - 4 inch high all around, or just behind sink area to start. Can always add more later!

Pic 1,2 maybe an oval or round shape #3,

You can then repeat the beach glass theme by filling trays for your dining room bow window which I hope you will reclaim for plants! Pic 4

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9384160

My other favorite backsplash idea is cheaper and much easier DIY. It is those faux pressed tin ceiling panels.
HD and Lowes has the panels 18x24 in various colors and designs. You can get 12 feet of 6x6 backsplash out of one panel! And installation is by nail. double sided tape, or glue, so easy to replace or change out.

I bought 3 different panels to bring home as samples to see how I would like them and then returned them after try outs. They are easy to wipe off even though they are not smooth because they are made out of plasticy stuff. It is rated to 200 degrees so can be used behind stoves. They can be painted, too. Of course you can use the real thing too!

Here is a link to a tutorial for a bathroom backsplash
http://theinspiredroom.net/2012/02/01/diy-faux-tin-ceiling-tile-back-splash/

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9384811

Thanks for the suggestions, coleus

I like the beach glass thought. (My paint color is called Baby Turtle or Baby Sea Turtle, lol) THough my wall green is much yellower than the bluey green of sea glass.
I like the six inch idea , and maybe area above stove also with tile.

I did bring home a sheet of that faux tin tile last week. The copper color. But it did not wow me, too close to cabinet color. Might be ok as you showed there, with only one row along the bottom. As full sheets doing the whole area between cabinet and counter, that is more like $5 a square foot so not sure that is a cost saving over tile,glue, mortar.

The window is a replacement window so the whole frame is white vinyl, so I will stick with white trim, to match that and the rest of the house.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9384840

In my wild dreams I think I just maybe might be able to do this sort of thing..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281631/
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9385411

Love wild dreams, Sally! The mosaic muse has been dancing at your castle for a while now...maybe she'll start with your kitchen sink backsplash. Just in case, one of the beach glass sites offers an amazing assortment of shapes and colors to create with...lmk.

Cost wise, another option for back splash is "architectural wallpaper" , same effect as those HD plastic panels, but much less cost. Here's a link to another tutorial for "punched tin" from a site called Fake-It Frugal! Finish it how you want. Pics 4,5.
http://fakeitfrugal.blogspot.com/2012/10/fake-punched-tin-backsplash.html

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9385641

What a fun link!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9385754

Sure is! I am liking the folk art feel of the tin.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America