1. Unknown Sparrow (same place - ANWR)
2. Shorebird 1
3. Shorebird 1

At Bolivar Peninsula on Gulf Coast closer to Galveston than ANWR -
4. Shorebird 2
5. Shorebird 2 again (I think)

Thanks for any help,
Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Near Central, IA(Zone 5a)

The sparrow looks like a Savannah to me with the yellow. I double checked with White-throated, but this just doesn't look right for that.

I will leave the shorebirds to others. I can barely tell sandpipers apart. I could only guess the first two as a type of Yellowlegs.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Savannah

Greater Yellowlegs for the first wader, and Sanderling for the second.

Resin

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh boy. I need Bird ID 101.

I thought the sparrow was a white throated, but it does look like Savannah.

As far as the shorebirds ...

I thought the first was a greater yellowlegs and then I tried to convince myself that it was a Solitary Sandpiper even though the legs look yellow and not green. The second one I thought was a Sanderling while I was watching it running all over the place, but later when I looked at the photos, I tried to make it into a Western or Least Sandpiper. Sigh. First impressions seem to be best.

Thanks much Chilly and Resin. I appreciate your help.

Patti

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Have to admit White-throated was my first thought too, but it can be excluded by the flank streaking; W-t has plain unstreaked flanks.

Solitary Sandp is a stockier, less 'lanky' bird. Lesser Y'legs can be counted out as it has an all-black bill without the pale basal area; its bill is also more delicate.

Resin

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Resin! Reading how you get to the ID really helps.

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

re Sanderlings:

They only have 3 toes on each foot-no rear-pointing toe
A wintertime color photo would look the same as a black & white shot-no tan/brown/orange/yellow anywhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.