Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Agastaches and Salvias: HCG MAIL ORDER TO STAY OPEN!!!!

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 18, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

January 6, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9377748

Just read today that they're still going to do mail order!!! I'm so very excited and happy!!!

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/

Wasn't able to paste and copy the new message they have on their website here, but read it and sign up your email. I've ordered from them many, many times since Spring 2005 and I added my email, name and zip code today.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/ezine-manage_unsubscribe/

They're still finalizing details and don't have any plants for sale now, yet.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 13, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9383623

I am glad. I order from them every year because they have plants I can't find anywhere else. I must say that I have not always gotten the best or best sized plants from them and they are quite pricey. Every order is hit and miss. Still overall they are a great source for rarer plants.
C
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 8, 2013
2:45 AM

Post #9411771

Just by chance, I just now clicked onto the HCG site and saw a new message!!! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

This is what it says!

Limited time offer...

Pre-order your plants NOW, and save 20%

Use coupon code preorder20

Offer valid through Feb. 20, 2013

Didn't get an email yet from them, so I don't know if the new message was just put on or not.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9549990

My only experience with HCG has been terrible. I ordered some Agastache and Penstemon from them and every week they kept saying they would ship my order on Monday and it would never come. Finally, I had to cancel the order. It was the poorest plant ordering experience I've ever had.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 7, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9550016

I have had mixed results. Good selection but sometimes small and quite pitiful plants. I would not order from them unless it was something I desperately wanted and could only get through them.
C

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9550094

They are getting terrible reviews in the Garden Watchdog. Their acquisition by another company appears to have been their real demise. That's a shame.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9550103

Yeah one of them did mention something about an acquisition and changing over to a new computer system. It's a real shame because they did have some of the more uncommon varieties of agastache and penstemon.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9550111

Yes, American Meadows bought them, I think. I'm just not sure why things are such a mess. I agree that their selection was interesting with numerous out of the ordinary varieties. Agastaches are among my very favorite plants and I was hoping to be able to continue to source unusual ones there.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9550118

Yeah I didn't know we could leave feedback on here for plant places. Thanks for that as I have just given them some feedback. I purchased several coreopsis from American Meadows this spring and the plants came in good condition and shipped in a reasonable timeframe as well. It's crazy the difference in experiences between the two. They must be having some trouble integrating or something.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9550134

Garden Watchdog is one of the most popular features here on DG. It's a great resource and most companies are well aware of it and clout it carries when it comes to where we spend our mail order $$. I just can't understand why AM isn't helping HCG get their act together. It can't be helping their reputation either. But I suppose if people aren't aware they own HCG, it doesn't matter to people. I'm perplexed. How long does it take to iron out the kinks and get things integrated? I suspect HCG may have a shortage of manpower when it comes to pulling, packing and mailing their plants. Surely it bothers the fella who owned HCG that it has fallen down so badly?

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9550151

Oh of course it would be bothersome, to have built such a nice niche supplier and have it torn down by the people you sold it to. I actually didn't know AM owned them until the credit on my cc account came through with their name on it.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9550261

Perhaps the problem will resolve before the entire thing goes under. Needs to be SOON!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 7, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9550316

I doubt there major draw, an amazing variety of native drought tolerant plants will ever be the same. I went on there and most of the really rare things are not offered for sale.
C

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9550481

Yeah we'll see. I don't want to be the first to test the waters though lol.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 7, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9550537

Me either. Their selection isnt that great now anyway.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2013
2:00 AM

Post #9550677

That's for sure. Not even close to the same.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 17, 2013
12:49 AM

Post #9561785

I spent $209.31 from Feb. thru May 2013 for three orders and ended up having to ask for a full refund.

I did receive the third order in May, but of the two Agastaches, one had all the stems broken off the main stem, the other had one stem broken off and both had a lot of the soil out of the pot and in the box.

I got tired of waiting for plants to arrive. Some of the plants they emailed me to say that they couldn't ship them.

Hope they get their act together for 2014.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2013
1:19 AM

Post #9561792

Me too. :/

txaggiegal
Belton, TX

September 16, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9661126

Those terrible reviews are VERY well-earned...same old American Meadows!! Bad customer service and even worse plants...sooo sorry this happened, but do hope David got a lot of do-re-me from them!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America