Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Voting Booth: Have you had any snow yet?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 80, Views: 709
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin
Schenectady, NY

January 7, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9378114

There are a total of 118 votes:

Yes, we had snow earlier than usual
(11 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Yes, we've had flurries
(19 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Yes, we've had all the snow I want to see this year!
(32 votes, 27%)
Red dot

No snow yet...
(16 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Snow? What's that?
(34 votes, 28%)
Red dot

HA! I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and it is summer!
(6 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9378136

I live in an area that gets snow on the ground maybe every 30-40 years. However, there is a nearby mountain that is visible from my house that regularly gets patchy snow every winter. I chose "No snow yet", because so far this year the mountain has been bare.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9378185

THERE IS STILL 8 OR 10 on the ground of about 20 inches The snow will be gone from rain this week.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 7, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9378191

I would like some... just a wee bit and no ice.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9378194

We had a white Christmas (about 3-4 inches)! And that is all I need 'till next Christmas.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9378378

We have snow cover. Don't really need more. I'd rather see it rain like it did last winter. That would do more for soil moisture.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9378439

Not much and not earlier than in prior years. I love the look of it but I don't like the ice.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9378472

We've been teased with some rain/snow mixes, but no white on the ground. We usually get 1-2 snows a year, usually in Jan-Mar, so still time this year.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9378572

no snow here...80's are predicted the rest of the week...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9378586

We have gotten some snow but need alot more. Rain is on the way so that will help moisture wise. Road wise...not so much. Gravel roads are slushy now and will become pure mud later this week.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9378591

Two very light dustings early in the winter, but mild since. Exceptionally mild so far in Jan 2013, 9 to 11 every day, but returning to average (5 to 7) later this week.

Resin
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9378609

I voted that I have had all I want this year, but that isn't right. We do need more snow cover later, but I desire no blizzards or sleet.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9378871

We had just enough flurries to say "Look, flurries". and than they were gone.
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9378927

We've had snow on the ground since before Christmas. And a few 3 -4 inches snowfalls after that. Still have about 5 inches left on the grassy areas. The temps are supposed to rise into the 50's by the weekend into beginning of next week. It's the "January Thaw" I suppose, but February & March usually bring more snow. March is usually a doozy! Two years ago we had about a foot of snow around St. Patty's Day! If I ever win LOTTO I will definately become a snowbird! :>)
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9379048

No snow yet. We usually get at least some in the air, even if they immediately melt when they hit the ground.
This year, we haven't even got below freezing yet. Very odd.
Barb
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9379086

Haven't seen snow here since back in the 1980's. Right now it's 68F. We're supposed to be in the mid to upper 70's for the rest of the week. Love it!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9379113

Snowed a little Christmas Eve, was very happy it was going to be a white Christmas, woke up Christmas morning it was all gone :(

I WANT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9379264

We haven't had snow and really aren't expecting it. It would be inaccurate to say that we never have snow (as in "Snow? What's that?"). We typically have a light dusting of snow once every 10yrs - which is pretty close to no snow at all. Since we had our 'dusting' a couple years ago, snow would not be expected this year.

I would like snow, too, especially if we could get enough to make snow cream and if the snow would stick around for a day or two (which is all but unheard of here where a whole inch of snow is enormous and where snow, when it does show up, often does so at night and is gone shortly after daybreak).

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9379289

Here that is called "Frost" LOL!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9379652

warm here mostly. Have been running A/C or opening windows. Have had a couple of lite frost and some upper twenty temps at night. Black-eyed Susan Vine, Milkweed, Red Ruellia, Brugs, Gingers, Bottle Brush Tree still blooming. Not many plant have died back just bloomed out for the season. First time ever I have been able to harvest seed from my White Phillipine Violet. Has always frozen back before seeds ready

Forgot to say I moved 4 Gulf Fritillary Caterpillers to another larger passi vine today. They were down to 1 leaf left on that plant

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 10:59 PM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9379951

No snow here so far this winter. It's supposed to get to 70F this Sunday, so I don't expect snow any time soon.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9380048

ROTFLMHO, CountryGardens!

Not quite that light a dusting! But that did get a good laugh out of me. It actually is snow, sometimes an inch or so but more often it looks like a powdered sugar decoration on a cake, so thin a layer that you can still see the outline of twigs and leaves in places. Once, several decades ago we actually scored some 5in, a foot in the drifts, and it 'stuck' for a whole 3 days. That was so unprecedented that we labeled it our 'Blizzard'. We rolled up the city, closed all the businesses, and stayed home until it melted. Folks from areas with 'real' snow would no doubt have died laughing at us.
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 9, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9380060

Can't say it's never happened in this county, but so far...a tribute to the as usual.

Thumbnail by Reynardine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 9, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9380519

Had a solid 4" on Christmas day it fell on frozen rain so it was pretty interesting here for a day or so
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9380798

DreamofSpring - we'd still call that a dusting here :)
CountryGardens - How much did you get "that one day" before Christmas? We got 18" that day 'in the cities' - well, in my yard anyway.
We've had a total of 23" or so - more coming this weekend. Supposed to rain & turn to snow - possible significant snowfall. I havent heard totals, but it would require the snow blower/plow.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9380884

2" or so. Ground is nearly bare in the fields. Some drifts around.
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9380897

DreamOfSpring ... so, years ago you folks had a "5 inch Blizzard". Up here in the Pocono Mountains of northeast PA we often have to shovel "3 feet of partly cloudy". lol

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9381922

we have usually had at least a few inches by now, or at least some ice...its been freakishly warm the whole winter season, as was last winter too. Its been throwing things off around here---trees starting to try to re bud too early, and bugs bugs bugs.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 12, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9382653

We've had a total of about 8" so far this season. More than I want to see.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9382723

ROTF, PAgirl60,

That was a once in 4 decades event for us. When we see a few snowflakes dancing in the wind, we get all dizzy with anticipation and call everyone else, so they can see. We really only see that a time or two in a decade, and then it may melt before it reaches the ground. Even a paltry dusting is a noteworthy event around here.

Still chuckling at your "3ft of partly cloudy" up there. I've never even seen more than a few inches of the white stuff; wouldn't know what to do with 3ft. Don't worry though, we get ours in summer - when we have to mop up the 3ft of sweat from our brows.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9382988

love the 3ft of partly cloudy! I really did LOL!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
12:59 AM

Post #9383347

WE had snow and then the passed few days a warm up. At 5pm tonight we had NO snow on the ground. Fell asleep around 10, woke up about 1am and there is some snow on the ground once again.
Why can't it make up its mind??????
Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9384151

Yesterday we finally had a dusting of snow on the mountain in the morning, though it had disappeared by late afternoon.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 14, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9384436

We are getting just a little popcorn snow everyday ,but it is just flat cold here 21 which is plenty cold for SE Oklahoma ..I talked to a friend that lives in Northern California yesterday and he said it was -12 there He lives at 3k ft. elevation... Better he than me
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9384596

NONE OF THE ABOVE

We have had flurries once, and SNOW once, 6"-8". It stayed on the ground over a week. I'm ready for some more. We've just gotta have it one more time so I can make SnowCreme!!! My 92-year-old Mom --must-- have her snowcreme!! LOL
PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9384666

FlowrLady, what is SnowCreme? I've never heard of it.
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 14, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9384688

PAgirl60: I suspect it resembles Bosco Freeze. You'd put lids full of Bosco Chocolate Syrup on the windowsill and wait for them to get snowed on and freeze over. Also, in the days of glass bottles and milkmen, you might find a neck of frozen milk that you could cut off and sugar and Bosco.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9385177

Recipe for snowcreme

snow
evap milk
sugar
vanilla

mix well and eat

some people will tell you to use condensed milk instead of evap milk and sugar. It's a southern thing, I guess, and we love it :)
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 14, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9385380

FlowrLady, it sounds delicious, but where I live now, I can't make it.
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 14, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9385385

Meant to upload this:

Thumbnail by Reynardine

PAgirl60
Tobyhanna, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9385617

FlowrLady,

That sounds yummy! I'd even add a little chocolate syrup.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9385638

Oh, how I LOVE snow cream!!! FlowrLady's recipe is exactly the same as the one my Mom made. The "5in Blizzard" was the 1st time in my life that we got enough snow for snow cream. You need more than a scant dusting, after all, to be able to scoop up fresh, clean snow. The 'Blizzard' snow stayed on the ground for 3 days, something that never happens here, and we ate snow cream all 3 days. We ate it until we ran out of evaporated milk - and then Mom sent me down the street (on foot) for more. We don't have snow plows, snow blowers, or snow shovels down here, but we did our best to eat our way out.

In my opinion, snow cream is better than even the best quality ice cream, but it may just be the rarity of the treat that makes it such a treasure to me. I've only had snow cream twice in my entire life. We just don't get that much snow around here. (Could some of you in prime snow country please scoop up a big tub of snow and send it down here?)

BTW, there is at least one major ice cream company that sells a flavor labeled 'snow cream' (packaged in the '1/2 gallon' size, which as you know is no longer 1/2 gallon). While it isn't as good as the real thing, it is a decent substitute when the real thing isn't an option. Sorry, I don't recall the brand name. If I see it the next time I'm at the market, I'll post that info in case anyone is interested. (Wouldn't it be hilarious if they are actually scooping up snow by the truck load, adding the ingredients from FlowrLady's list, and packaging it up for sale?)
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 15, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9386391

dream I saw the weather channel today it said the temp for you was going to be 78 that is juat insane
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 15, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9386542

Snow cream when you don't have snow: we made an Indian drink called lassi in the high summertime. It went like this:

1 part milk
1 part cream
1 part plain yogurt
1 part sugar
2 parts cracked ice
Blend and drink; freeze leftovers (only there weren't any).
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 16, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9386958

HIGHS next week will be below zero :( flurries from now until then.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9386967

Hi grits,

We have been enjoying this lovely spring-like weather for about a week now. Nights in the 60's, days in the 70's, beautiful sunny weather. Heck, the daffodils and irises are already up and trying to get a jump on spring. In truth this really isn't unusual for Charleston this time of year. Most years I'm running the A/C on New Years Day. This is my favorite time of year here. Spring is nice, too, but is over in a whirlwind and followed by punishing heat. Fall and winter are like spring w/o as many flowers - still have camellias blooming even now.

I think we are expecting a few cold days soon. Forecast says we'll dip down to a low of 37F and high of 55-66 the end of this week before temps rise again. What I love about our winter weather is that cold spells only last a day or two and are interspersed with nice spring-like weather. I usually say that winter here is the last week or two of Jan plus the first 2 weeks of Feb. That usually our coldest time. By the 2nd week of Jan daffodils will be blooming. After that it's a rush to summer. Winters here are nice. Summers not so much.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9386971

OMG, minnesippi,

I am completely unable to fathom that. I can't even get my head around subzero lows. WOW!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9386980

Raynardine,

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to give that a try. Good to have a recipe for us snow deprived folks. Just to make sure we are all on the same track though, real snow cream is not something you drink but rather something you eat. The texture is similar to that of ice cream or maybe granita or Italian Ice. The snow quickly freezes the relatively small quantity of evaporated milk added (hence the reason for using evaporated milk vs regular). The entire thing maintains a snow-like, crystalline texture. Difficult to describe. Awesomely good. Definitely not a liquid. :-)
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9386992

Reynardine: That is a very appealing pic today. It's 27.3 outside right now, and it's been that way for about 3 weeks. Even though I want snow, I'd opt for a trip to Sanibel Island in a New York minute!! I love the shelling beach there.

DreamOfSpring: I think you could use just about any flavoring you like in the snowcreme. I like mine 'vanilla'. It brings back childhood memories.

You guys are making me homesick for north Mississippi, where I lived most of my life. I miss zone 7 very much. I'm in 5 now, and it's a BIG difference.

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9386995

It's kinda like eating a snowball, only a flavored one! LOL

Went to KY last week... my cousin said the 'snowcreme' ice cream for sale is Blue Bell or Blue Bunny... he said it's awesome. :)

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9387018

That sounds about right for the snow cream flavor of ice cream. I only had it once. I did find it to be surprisingly good. After I posted that info, I realized most of the people on here probably have no need for such a product given that they have ample snow with which to make the real stuff. That made me wonder if perhaps the ice cream version might only be marketed in southern states - but then KY does get snow.

If you haven't been to Google yet today, there search page has a snow plow game today. I played it a few minutes - and then remembered I have work to do!
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 16, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9387404

Actually, Dream of Spring, if you substituted sweetened condensed milk for the milk, cream, and sugar, and added a little vanilla, you'd probably have something similar to snow cream. Also, you can pour it into a suitable container and put that in the freezer compartment. You might also use Greek yogurt instead of plain.

Blood pressure induced me to forswear ice cream, but if Blue Bell makes it, I just might be bad the once.

Now, if one used coconut milk...

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9387717

Decided to post a pic, albeit not a good one, but it shows one of my camellias loaded with buds and blooms. It's back lit and also shows lots of afternoon sunshine. I took this pic yesterday. (Sorry, my garden is looking sad right now. It has been largely untended for several years now since my injury took me out of commission - for the time being.) This photo is my offering to all of you who are facing or enduring heavy snow, ice, and cold temps. I hope it will serve as a reminder that (1) it's always spring somewhere and (2) your spring will be there very soon. :-)

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring

Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

January 17, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9387994

DreamofSpring: Wunnerful! And here is my Chickasaw plum + plum maker:

Thumbnail by Reynardine

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9388607

Thanks for the pink camellia. I had two, and left them behind when I moved north. Can't grow them here, my sad!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9388654

FlowrLady, you can grow Quince which is a good subsistute for us notherners. Has similar blooms. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/909/

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
3:11 AM

Post #9388869

FlowrLady,

But you CAN grow peonies, lilac, oriental poppies, golden chain tree, and lupines, just a few of the fabulous flowers that we cannot grow here due to the heat. I do love my camellias, but I would gladly give them all up for just one big, pink, double peony of the Sara Bernhardt variety. Enjoy all the lovely things you CAN grow in your area.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
3:25 AM

Post #9388875

I also have Japanese Flowering Quince (as opposed to varieties grown for fruit). One big difference when comparing quince to camellias is bloom size. Quince blooms tend to be on the small side, around 1in in diameter, give or take a little, whereas camellia blooms are roughly the size of roses (3-5in diameter, est). I mention this only because camellias aren't seen in much of the country, so I figure they may be new or largely unknown to many people. I would hate for readers to get the impression that camellia blooms are similar in size to those of the quince (although I grow & enjoy both).

Camellias, quince, and hellebores are among the short list of plants that keep my yard in steady bloom right through winter when most plants are dormant.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9389225

I left camellias AND flowering quince behind... My quince had a bloom somewhere on it most all of the time. I thought it was a miracle bush. I loved it.

Since I know peonies and hydrangeas grow well here, I have peonies around two sides of the side yard, and hydrangeas up against the house. They are beautiful, too, but very common here. Oh well, they are not 'common' to me. The blooms can last a long time, and in my zone 7 garden, the blooms, especially on the peonies, didn't last very long. I'd love to see your yarden, DreamOfSpring. :)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 18, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9389366

flurries yesterday - 48 today...high at lunch time tomorrow will be 32 and by dinner it will be below zero...we'll see.
Callaplants
Poulton -le- Fylde
United Kingdom

January 29, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9401628

We had just a light covering in places... almost gone next morning, my Animals were not amused lol

Thumbnail by Callaplants

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9402677

We have 'possible' snow flurries in the forecast for this afternoon. I hope it turns into several inches. But THAT is not in the forecast! LOL
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9402695

It's currently 80FWe're due for precipitation, but somehow I don't think it will be snow! Winter? What Winter!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9403005

got 6" on Sunday. Flurries on and off since then with no accumulation. -25 to -45 windchill forcasted tonight :/

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9403752

Yesterday we were pushing 80. Had to run the fans all afternoon and night, and was tempted to turn on the A/C. Also, the buds on my daffodils are fat and turning yellow. They will be opening very soon.

minnesippi, you folks up there must have thicker blood. I freeze up and go into hibernation when the mercury dips into the 40s, that's +40 not -40. Brrrr!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9403790

You want to know what -3 is like, (our current temp), go to your local super market & spend a little time in the walk-in freezer. Oh, make sure a fan is blowing on you, too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9403906

Snowing again here ,enough to make a ground cover and slick roads ...
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9403996

It's snowing now, and the ground is almost covered. Don't expect any accumulation, per se. I've been praying for several inches... we'll see :)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 2, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9405802

Got 2 more inches last night and forecast is calling for a total of 10" by the end of next week - spread out through out the week...Current temp is 0. International Falls was -36 actual air temp over night. Thursday, 36,000 people in my area lost power for several hours...it was -12 that day.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9405812

21 Light snow ,, calm ..

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9405842

I'm just trying to imagine what it must cost per month to heat a house at those temps. At least it's almost over. Did you hear the news? No shadow. Early spring.

FlowrLady, Glad to hear you are getting some snow. Hoping it sticks.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 2, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9406069

Sure glad we live in outstate MN. We haven't lost power for maybe 3 years.
Only a skiff of snow here. sunshine & 14 now.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9406784

got "a dusting" last night. About 2"...

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9407055

minnesippi,

Just to clarify, we have very different definitions for 'dusting'. Here a 'dusting' doesn't even fully cover the ground. It's like the loose pattern of powdered sugar sometimes applied to the top of an cake w/o frosting. Around here, 2in, on the other hand, is well on the way to a blizzard. ;-)

On a more serious note, I am very sorry to hear that some are w/o power in such cold temps. I do hope power will be restored to the area very soon.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9407176

Here in my neck of the woods, we've had what they call "rabbit tracking" It's just enough to show a little white on the ground.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9407284

DOS - technically, that is what a dusting is here too...but anything that doesnt require shoveling is considered a dusting. :)

I presume the power has been restored. It made radio news, but not TV news, so I guess things are fine.

Snowed a bit again today. I finally went out and plowed the driveway. There was about 3" out there - figured I should probably take care of it before the tenants got stuck.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9420964

OMG! We are expected to get snow tonight - maybe. Actually, the NWS is expecting snow for the greater Charleston tri-county area. As the tricounty area includes substantial area north and west of the city of Charleston, that doesn't necessarily mean snow for me - but I can hope. The bad news is that the snow is expected to begin after dark and end by 1AM - w/o any accumulation. Argh! And I already had my bowl ready. Bummer. Sadly, that is what usually happens here on the rare occasion that it does snow. It snows at night and is gone by daybreak. :-(

Guess I will have to go stand outside with my bowl. That way I can (1) enjoy the snow before it disappears and (2) catch a bowl of snow cream. :-)
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

February 17, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9421671

After what resembled a Key Largo winter, we got hit. Our peaches froze off. This was the warning sky yesterday:

Thumbnail by Reynardine

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9421777

Our last frost day is April 30. I'm hoping for some accumulation (at least once) before then... but I'm wondering if it will happen. It will be 45 today and 52 tomorrow. But I've got my fingers crossed for sometime before April 30. Want snocream at least one more time.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9421922

Well not enough for snow cream , and it snowed here last night , most has melted away now ,

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9421930

We didn't get any snow, just rain in the afternoon. After dark and by the time the temp had dropped low enough for snow, we had a clear, starry sky w/o a cloud in sight. I was a bit disappointed but not all that much, not after remember the last snow, another nighttime event and one in which the power went out almost immediately, leaving me walking around the cold, dark house with candles only to find the snow almost completely melted by the time I awoke the next morning.

My azaleas had begun blooming early along with a number of other plants. The blooms look all limp and soggy this morning. Not a good look, really.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America