Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Garden Visitor: The Black-Capped Chickadee: Rewarding both the brave and patient

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Visitor: The Black-Capped Chickadee
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Visitor: The Black-Capped ChickadeeReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
azimuff
Portage, MI

January 7, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9378197

I recommend that everyone (at least, once in their lifetime) stand outside while chickadees are actively feeding. The human stands statue-still with black oiler seeds on their upraised, open hands. Soon, the bravest (alpha) chickadees will alight to snatch a seed. Then, things get exciting. It is a good way to demonstrate to children how patience is rewarded. In this event, the reward is a thrill of childish delight (which is a good thing for everyone).

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9378447

I love this idea, and agree that it's an excellent lesson for children (and adults)! I will try it the next time we have a half-way warm day.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Visitor: The Black-Capped Chickadee Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Chickadee Song gardengirl86 6 Jan 9, 2013 3:28 PM
chickadees jindawarra 2 Jan 9, 2013 6:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America