Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Passifloras: tiny baby seedling: passiflora mollissima

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 9, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9378444

I got few passiflora mollissima seeds, stuck one in the aerogarden after a good long soak, and imagine my surprise when it came up this week! Hellloooo, little guy!

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9378453

Awww - so cute!
NeotropicNut
Diamond Ridge, AK
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9378959

So cute, your seedling. I have ready access to mollissima seeds, but have had little success in getting them to sprout. I have tried ones that rotted, that are fresh from the fruit, old and dry and soaked, whatever. I did find one sprouting in a place that I had planted about 20 dry seeds, but over a year ago, in a shaded area. It could be that it really takes a long time to germinate in the field. This one in the photo is a volunteer that emerged below a bushy Salvia, apparently liking the shade. So this one is about 4 months old and I like that it is growing slowly and not leggily. Now it is out in full sun but watered every day at soil level.

What is an "aerogarden"

Thumbnail by NeotropicNut

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9379036

Go, seedlings, go!

I thought my seedling was better luck than good management. That's why I'm so jazzed.

An aerogarden is a mini-hydroponic setup, if you see one (like I did) at a yard sale, they're pretty goof-proof ways of starting seeds. There's more at aerogrow.com, but they're pricey new.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9446227

she is about 12" tall now. Woo!

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9446239

I am so happy for you. Is she still growing in the aerogarden? I have 4 Maypop seeds that were soaked 48 hrs. in fresh orange juice, then placed in the damp paper towel into a zip lock bag. I have been checking every couple of days, they have been there 8 days and no sign of anything. I am am so hoping. I want a passion flower so bad and they are not sold in my area, and about 15.00 on the net plus shipping another 10.00 to 15.00 more than the pocket will take at this time. Good luck with your and please keep me posted, James
RetiredFlorida
Tarpon Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9446268

Txtea, I recently started some seeds myself, no orange juice, just water for 48 hours and most came up at around 2-3 weeks. Two sets didn't come up at all yet, going on 6 weeks.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9446404

RetFla, thanks for the info. I have been following your other post about your cuttings. I must say you must be very proud, I would be to. Good luck with your future adventures. Will be looking to see more.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9446840

I transplanted this one to a small pot. The leaves are super-small, but I figure with a bit of TLC, she'll come along.

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9447514

It sure looks nice, congratulations, Job well done.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America