Photo by Melody

Vermicomposting: Optimum temp for indoor worms?

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 15, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 7, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9378474

I've got one of those worm towers and it's currently residing in my heated garage for the winter. It did spend late spring, summer and early fall outdoors. I've currently got the garage temp around 60 which I understand is the low side of the temp range. The worms don't seem to be consuming much and I'm wondering if 60 is too cold for them to be very active. Would love some advice.
mraider3
Helena, MT

January 8, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9379297

Cindy, my unheated garage is insulated and attached but maintains around 40 to 50 degrees in our harsh winter months. Worm bins on a carpet will mainain approximately that temperature and the worms will not suffer, but do slow down in their eating ability. I have a six foot heating pad which I place between the carpet and plastic bins in the winter hoping to adjust the heat to around 68 F with a toggle timer with 24 one hour increments. This I believe is the optimum temperature for worms, but difficult for me to adjust to that temperature. I have several times already messed up and gone to over 100 F, but the worms are still fine. I have worms in an outdoor vermicompost bin beneath my deck which freezes sold in the winter and somehow they seem to spring back each spring. I would say 60 F is a pretty good temperature if maintained on its own.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9379406

I don't have heat in my garage, and I'm guess-ti-mating the coldest it's been is around 40-45...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 8, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9379410

So while 60 is fine for their survival, they will slow down? I guess I could ultimately bring them into the house to optimize their composting abilities. Hate to heat the garage to 68 to get them moving again.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9379413

I've considered bringing mine inside, too. But, our weather is so squirrely , it's not worth the time. It'd be back up to 75 by the time I dragged the bin in...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 9, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9379891

TX has indeed been having some squirrely weather. Only concern about bringing them in the house is the veggie scraps I add in - might get smelly unless I bury them well. Bad thing about the tower is that there's not a lot of space in each layered bin so once the bedding and scraps go in, I start worrying about air circulation.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9380113

CincyMzone5,
If I might offer a possible solution? Morgan (mraider3) has been tutoring me in my first vermicomposting attempt, and his recommendation of pureeing the worm food in an old blender suits me and the worms just fine.

It was a bit of a process (no pun intended) to blend up all the scraps I had been saving, but, once it was all done, I poured the slushie into tall plastic coffee canisters and stored them in the back of my fridge. They're going into the freezer soon, and I'll just take them out to defrost as I need them. Also, the addition of some celery stems and bell pepper scraps gives the slushie a refreshing aroma!

Morgan's feeding method is to mix a portion of the slushie with some of the moistened peat moss (or whatever your bedding medium is), dig a 3" trench down the long end of the bin, sprinkle the slushie/peat mixture down the trench, then cover it over.

I've had my bin up since mid-December, and I've only fed them once. There is no smell whatsoever, and no bulky food pieces to deal with. And, since the food is pureed into a slushie form, the microorganisms attack it presto pronto, and the worms attack them, presto pronto. The entire breakdown process is speeded up, to the extent the worms' appetites keep up!

I was concerned about the possibility of having bugs and flies raiding the bin, however, because the slushie is buried so neatly and so deeply in the medium, the only visitors I have had have been the little gnats? that arrived with my worms. They don't do anything except flit over the surface of the medium, grabbing what they can find, and, when I spritz the top of the medium to moisten it, they just move out of the way. I wouldn't see a problem at all having them inside, since they cling to the bin.

Hope this helps a bit.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mraider3
Helena, MT

January 9, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9380556

Cindy, there isn't much discernible difference between 60 and 68F that I can tell. I would leave your bin in the garage and just keep a heavy rug beneath it. Sometimes we go to extremes when it's not really necessary. I for instance use a toggle timer and heater to raise the temperature of my four bins when 40F is just fine for over wintering. I wouldn't recommend this process to anyone because it can easily go wrong and cook your worms like I did once. The only reason I do it is because I plan on doing several major outdoor vermicomposting projects this spring and I wanted to produce as many worms as possible to seed my three outdoor vermicompost operations. Otherwise I would leave them alone and feed about once a week as Linda suggests.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 10, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9380881

I appreciate all of your recommendations. I was trying to replenish my stock of compost for repotting plants before spring hit since my compost pile is pretty much frozen. I'm thinking I need to learn patience. :)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9380915

Cindy,

Regarding "patience," here's one for yah -- You should see me sitting there staring at the worm bin, like a kitty in front of a fishbowl! Just waiting to see something happen -- ANYTHING happen, LOL!

Why couldn't they thrive in a glass bin so I could see what's going on underneath the media, like an ant farm? But, noooooooooo. They wanna do their thing secretly, where I CAN'T see them! LOL!

"Open, open, open!!!!"
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 10, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9381066

And how suspicious is it that they run and hide when exposed???

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9381094

LOLOLOL!!!!! ^^_^^
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 10, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9381147

mraider - would a plant heating mat give you a lower consistent temp?
Hmmm - brain is wondering if decomposing veggies give off any heat in the bin, kinda like a compost pile?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9381208

Would probably need much more volumic? mass to contain the heat of an outdoor pile, yah think? Probably a negligible amount is given off. Small-scale energy...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9381215

Gave the bin a good spritzing last night. Adding about 1.5 - 2.0 cups of water every other day with the spritzer. The peat on the bottom stays nicely moist, and the bedding isn't compressing much at all. I'm still trying to get a "feel" for my wigglers...

So, I'm thinking I'm gonna feed 'em tonight...It's been a good several weeks or so. Have only fed them once. Will fluff up the bedding when I feed them, and report with pics tomorrow, ok?

Who out there really cares about my wigglers besides Morgan and me? LMK...

LOL!
mraider3
Helena, MT

January 10, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9381351

Well as I mentioned I don't recommend heat pads to anyone. I just like to experiment with things that I already had available and wasn't using for any particular purpose. There are lots of factors to be considered to get a consistent heat which is nearly impossible without putting in a lot of time and effort. My toggle timer is set for one hour on and three hours off at present and I may have to adjust that some, which means checking temps four or more times a day. Media moisture content, media depth, temperature of the water in the blended food mix, etc., are just a few of the things I keep an eyye on. If I can maintain the various bin temperatures between 50 and 70 F, I can continue to fee the worms at a rate of two to three times a week and see evidence of their breeding and egg capsules hatching. Food and moisture are important factors in keeping the worms constantly breeding at their peak levels. Although there is little difference between indoor vermiculture and vermicomposting, my goal is to produce as many worms and egg capsules in the next three months as possible. In April I start thinning the herd.

Can't wait Linda. When your composted peat moss or choir starts turning black and you see lots of baby worms.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America