Photo by Melody

Perennials: Can we find better meteorologists?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 7, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9378575

I watch the 10:00 PM local news every night just to get the weather forecast, especially the low overnight temperature. Sunday night that the !*%#@%^ meteorologist said that the low temperature overnight would be 39 degrees. Great I thought, I didn't have to move back into the garage the perennials I keep in containers when the temperate gets down to freezing. I had just moved them out into the yard on Sunday to get some much needed sun. Monday morning I was up early watching the local news when the meteorologist said that it was 29 degrees outside and with a covering of frost. I came out of my chair screaming at the TV "BUT YOU SAID JUST EIGHT HOURS AGO THAT THE LOW TEMPERATURE WOULD BE ABOVE FREEZING, BY A LARGE AMOUNT". After I got my cool back I went outside to what I feared, dead perennials. Yes I know that they will come back in the spring but they were all that was currently giving my butterfly garden some color. Now if I was not feeling well and went to my doctor and he told me my temperature was 98.6 when it was really 108.6 and I died, I expect that my DW might sue the doctor for malpractice. The same should apply to the meteorologist, right? :)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9378607

LOL!! They've been doing the same thing here. For our last snow they kept predicting 5 inches or so. We only got 2 inches and even then kept saying we had at least 4 inches. Are they blind???

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9379067

You guys are kidding, right?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9379385

lanakila
I'm only half kidding, but it's up to you figure out which half it is. Why? Is it unfair for me to expect a more accurate tv weather forcast? :)
hostages
Wyoming, MN

January 8, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9379478

Here they measure snow at the airport as the official snowfall amount. It can be substantialy different a few miles a way.I drive 20 miles to work each night and I monitor my cars thermometer along the way. I am usually 5-6 degrees colder than my work destination. Low spots along the way are even colder.

Gary
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

April 20, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9490895

Weather forecasting is not an exact science. Nor gardening.-------------------------------------------Weedy
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9503874

I like when they say " possiable rain today " and you are driving through a down pour.
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

May 2, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9505228

Or when my so-called garden is dry as a bone and I am carrying buckets and they predict rain and it sprinkles----and the ground is still dust! -----------------------------------------------------------Weedy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America