Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Perennials: Can we find better meteorologists?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 7, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9378575

I watch the 10:00 PM local news every night just to get the weather forecast, especially the low overnight temperature. Sunday night that the !*%#@%^ meteorologist said that the low temperature overnight would be 39 degrees. Great I thought, I didn't have to move back into the garage the perennials I keep in containers when the temperate gets down to freezing. I had just moved them out into the yard on Sunday to get some much needed sun. Monday morning I was up early watching the local news when the meteorologist said that it was 29 degrees outside and with a covering of frost. I came out of my chair screaming at the TV "BUT YOU SAID JUST EIGHT HOURS AGO THAT THE LOW TEMPERATURE WOULD BE ABOVE FREEZING, BY A LARGE AMOUNT". After I got my cool back I went outside to what I feared, dead perennials. Yes I know that they will come back in the spring but they were all that was currently giving my butterfly garden some color. Now if I was not feeling well and went to my doctor and he told me my temperature was 98.6 when it was really 108.6 and I died, I expect that my DW might sue the doctor for malpractice. The same should apply to the meteorologist, right? :)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9378607

LOL!! They've been doing the same thing here. For our last snow they kept predicting 5 inches or so. We only got 2 inches and even then kept saying we had at least 4 inches. Are they blind???

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9379067

You guys are kidding, right?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9379385

lanakila
I'm only half kidding, but it's up to you figure out which half it is. Why? Is it unfair for me to expect a more accurate tv weather forcast? :)
hostages
Wyoming, MN

January 8, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9379478

Here they measure snow at the airport as the official snowfall amount. It can be substantialy different a few miles a way.I drive 20 miles to work each night and I monitor my cars thermometer along the way. I am usually 5-6 degrees colder than my work destination. Low spots along the way are even colder.

Gary
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

April 20, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9490895

Weather forecasting is not an exact science. Nor gardening.-------------------------------------------Weedy
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9503874

I like when they say " possiable rain today " and you are driving through a down pour.
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

May 2, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9505228

Or when my so-called garden is dry as a bone and I am carrying buckets and they predict rain and it sprinkles----and the ground is still dust! -----------------------------------------------------------Weedy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America