Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chris79
Shenandoah, TX

January 7, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9378648

just asking if someone can identify this plant for me. i bought it as a valentines gift feb/11 . they had it out for valentines because it grows these little pink flowers. i need to identify it so i know how to take care of it because obviously it needs some tlc. thank you.

Thumbnail by chris79   Thumbnail by chris79
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9378654

Kalanchoe of some sort. Hard to tell which one from the photo.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9378656

It's a cultivar of Kalanchoe blossfeldiana. Examples: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=kalanchoe&searcher[species]=blossfeldiana&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9378673

I bought a similar looking Kalanchoe last spring. I thought it was called "Angel Wings", but I can't find one by that name when I photo search. Mine blooms most of the time - it started out more compact, but is tall like yours right now due to the short day low light conditions this time of year. Last summer I divided & repotted mine in fresh potting soil, which perked it up - but I think it needs it again.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9378710

chris79 - yours actually looks OK considering it's 2yrs old. The mass-produced plants sold at retail have been carefully propagated from cuttings and grown in greenhouses with ideal conditions to produce compact growth and profuse flowering. It's almost impossible to reproduce these conditions in a home environment. Suggestions: Give the plant lots of bright, natural light. In autumn and winter, to encourage flowering, limit exposure to artificial light after sunset and keep the plant in a cool area until flowers start to emerge. If the plant starts looking too leggy / sprawling, you can break off the longer branches and stick them back in the soil where they will root. Repot as needed, etc. Even with proper care you probably can't recreate the original form but you can have a long-lived, attractive house plant.
chris79
Shenandoah, TX

January 12, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9382817

thanx for identifying the plant. i failed to mention that the plant has dark green waxy leaves. however im pretty sure you all have identified it correctly. so a few more questions i have is what kind of soil does this plant need? can i just use regular potting soil? or do i have to mix potting soil with something? i dont know much about the different kinds of soils to use. also, Tom had mentioned that i can break off branches and stick them back in the soil? can all plants do this? or just kalanchoe's? ok.. one last question is how do i prune this plant? thanx for all the help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America