Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: bug identification!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chrisj19

January 8, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9378851

We found this small bug in our bed sheets tonight. My wife has been getting bites in the night recently although I am uncertain it is this bug causing it. Can anyone identify what this bug is?

I looked at pictures of bed bugs but it didn't quite look like any of the pictures. It does have little black eyes at the front and a little sharp horn at the back. I have attached pictures of the bug.

We regularly clean and have clean sheets on the bed

Cheers,

Chris

Thumbnail by chrisj19   Thumbnail by chrisj19
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

January 8, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9378970

Probably not a bed bug, but image not clear enough for an i.d. - It is very difficult to determine the cause of bites unless you can actually see/catch something in the act of biting.
chrisj19

January 8, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9379244

Prob not much better but is the best close up photo I took. You can see the black eyes at the right of pic and little horn atthe left.

Thumbnail by chrisj19
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

January 8, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9379313

Appears to be a small (and harmless) beetle; can't tell much else...
chrisj19

January 8, 2013
11:37 PM

Post #9379745

Thanks, not sure if harmless given the little horn or stinger on the back and the bites?
It also has little eyes that make it look like a fish, although I can't tell whether these are false eyes on its shell or its real eyes.
Cheers,
Chris
ssipes
Murphysboro, IL
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9394044

I can't tell much from the photos, but I'm suspecting the "horn" is actually on the head end of the insect, and the "eyes" are markings, not eyes. I would definitely take it in to your local extension office and find out what it is.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America