Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the Library: Library

Communities > Forums > Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the Library
bookmark
Forum: Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the LibraryReplies: 1, Views: 2
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NSgarden
urban Halifax, NS
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9378990

What a wonderful article! Here in Nova Scotia we can get books from any library in the province, including all universities in the province. These will be forwarded to our local branch. When I was looking for some esoteric and old books they did a country wide search. They are also able to go to some other countries such as the UK; this some times costs 2 o 3 dollars. We can return books to any provincial library we like. We are very lucky and it is free. When I was a child in BC we got our books by mail from Victoria though we lived only 25 km away. We had no car in the 50's and one day a neighbour drove us in to the library. It was in the cavernous basement of the Parliament Buildings. I was 6, I was amazed. Row on row of books. Simply gob smacked LOL.
Don't forget gardening magazines. They are at libraries too. One can drink in those full page glossy photos all winter.
Thanks again for your funny article.
oldgal67
London, ON
Canada

January 25, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9397165

NSGarden... the first time a book from BC arrived at my Ontario library at my request, I too was gob-smacked! I get a little frisson of delight when a book I have requested comes from the 'stacks' of a distant library as I imagine a dedicated librarian rummaging among the dusty shelves for a book that hasn't, maybe, seen the light of day for years - decades even. They are often books that lead me to people long forgotten in times long ago and are often a little the worse for wear...very special books and I love to take them out for an airing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the Library Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful, true and very funny! Dea 20 Jan 12, 2010 5:41 AM
One thing you get for free in this world lortay 1 Jan 13, 2010 1:43 AM
One of the best IMO oldgal67 0 Feb 21, 2011 8:51 AM
Not funny! oldgal67 0 Feb 21, 2011 9:30 AM
Love your library toelle 0 Feb 22, 2011 7:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America