Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cluelessnTN
Oak Ridge, TN

January 8, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9379333

We have a well-fenced chicken yard and our flock is in a predator-proof building at night. We have had a hawk eat at least one of our birds (we saw it happen.) Does anyone have experience with guard geese for aerial daytime predators? Thanks!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 8, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9379571

No, not I, but I have often wondered whether they might be good deterrents to aerial attack. Since I accidentally acquired a couple of roosters which are much more alert than the hens, none of my chickens have been taken by hawks. Previously I suffered three successful hawk attacks to my flock that I know of.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9380551

Even in town here the hawks sometimes hang around. Not that I know that they have taken any, but I had my cockatiels in a cage outside and a hawk stood on the cage looking down at them. Gorgeous hawk, but my goodness!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 9, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9380554

Hi, LfJ! Haven't heard from you for a while, I'm glad you're still here!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9380564

Thanks Porkpal, I'm still alive and kickin.

mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9382350

A hawk is no match for a goose, or gander, but the hawk will kill the chicken, before anything can do anything with it. Mike
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 11, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9382422

That's why I appreciate my alert roosters who sound the alarm whenever aerial predators approach. The hens have time to run for cover.
zoneimpaired
Toronto, ON
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9383085

I had Polish top-knots, They couldn't see the sky because of their top-knot. They were the best invention since sliced bread for the local raptor population.
Robb
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9383270

I think those are so cute. Catmad, if I remember right, posted some pictures one day of hers. She has some great ones.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9383478

Yup, I _had_ a bunch :(. Robb is right, they are predator magnets. Especially the White crested varities. Really give the hawks something to aim for. I didn't get them intentionally, but the were thrust upon me. Unfortunately, I became quite fond of them, and it really hurts to lose them. There are not many left.
I will likely get some again, but only after I have a predator safe environment for them to spend their days. I have ideas.
I'll take this time to thank everyone for all I've learned here at Dave's. I won't be resubscribing, not because of the cost, but because I seldom come here anymore. I have found more active places to talk about chickens (and other things) so will be moving on. I hope to see you all in the future, It was fun :)

All the best,

Margo

Thumbnail by catmad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 13, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9383510

Goodbye! I'm sad that you are leaving. Our forum is shrinking - no longer the lively place it once was. Sad...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9418568

Just saw this thread. We keep a pair of geese in with our chickens and have found that it really does reduce aerial predator attacks. During periods when we've separated the geese out for one reason or another the hawks seem to find our chickens much easier prey. We still lose a chicken once in a while with the geese but no more than one every year or so, if that.
Lesliemoss
South Salem, NY

August 24, 2014
12:51 PM

Post #9925315

I have Pomeranian geese, which are excellent watch-birds. They are loud and quite intelligent. We had to move one male out by the poultry yard in early April because it was being attacked by the other geese during breeding season. This beautiful 30 pound male befriended our lonly rabbit and meanwhile detered preditors for several months, so we let them stay together. The large poultry yard next to them is covered in fencing and we have not encountered any hawk casualties for several years. All of our pountry including the goose, are put away before dusk, and let out around 8 AM, and today, around noon, we found the goose dead, uneaten, face down and clearly attacked from the back. I am confident that it was another bird. We are in NY state and have turkey vultures and red tailed hawks, so perhaps it was one of those birds. Meanwhile, my other geese located on a different part of the property are incredibly quiet today. Since geese are exceptionally sensitive, I am certain that they know what occured, and are clearly frightened. So, in a nutshell, I think a strong pen is the way to go, rather than geese as watch-birds.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 24, 2014
1:26 PM

Post #9925347

An attack from the back can also be an opossum, but I don't know that a 30 lb bird would be vulnerable.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2014
3:42 PM

Post #9925418

I don't know how much our geese weighed but a couple of years ago we lost both geese to an opossum, one one night and the other a night or two later. It doesn't matter what size the geese are since the possums jump on their backs. It was awful.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2014
8:01 PM

Post #9929829

Yes, I think it was the opossum that killed my best chickens too. They all three had the backsides eaten out.

If geese are like chickens, when they sleep they are almost comatose from what I understand. Well, maybe that is a bit extreme, but they do sleep and are very still and quiet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America