Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: Do you think I may be over doing it a bit?!

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 26, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
2:46 PM

Post #9379346

Just before Christmas I went to an Art Quilt show in Tucson. Just blew me away. Very inspiring. Yesterday I went with a couple of friends to a quilt show at the Tucson Historical Society Museum to view 100 quilts celebrating Arizona's 100 birthday. Again, very inspiring. Saturday, a friend and I are going to the Tucson quilt show. Next Wednesday, the same friend and I are going to a meeting at a quilt shop, in Tucson, to see what the Art Quilters are doing, AND, maybe, just maybe, we may join in. Most Monday evenings several of us quilters meet at a friends house and do hand work, or just visit. The hand work includes everything from binding, applique, crochet, knitting or what ever. I have ordered some black & white fat quarters, two bottles of Best Press, some new thimbles, a 14" rotary cutting mat, thread, another quilting book, (like I need another one!!!!) and I going to pick up a box of vellum tomorrow at Office Depot so I can learn to foundation piece... Who knows what I'll find at the quilt show that I can't live without?!! I am thinking about moving over to the 'Tuesday House', my studio, for the rest of the winter so I can play with fabric until I fall asleep. I also received today four audio books totalying (sp??) over 49 hours. Now if I just limit my listening to just five hours a day I'll be set for a bit. What do you think? Am I over doing the quilting bit? Do I need to find other interests? LOL Do I know how to have fun or what??!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9379473

So they say..."Too much of a good thing is wonderful".
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9379487

Similar to the above quote.

To much of a good thing is never enough. Kenneth Jay Lane, a jewlery designer always says this, as he is stacking on more and more as he shows his stuff. Just love KJL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9379805

Wish I lived closer Gloria!!! Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Good for you!!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9379855

One can never have enough for quilting! Glad to hear your in an area you have all that close to you! I have to drive 160 miles to the nearest quilt shop, fabric store!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9379903

Go for it!!!!! I just love meeting people with similar interests to mine.
Some of us are starting a "sit & crochet" group. Those Alligator booties are #1 on my "to do" list.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9379911

Gator booties...where did you see those??

I just ordered some more crochet hooks and yarn from joanns. Im starting with squares for now. Needed something to do with my hands, that was also portable. I just cant do cross stitch anymore, makes me dizzy. I did it years ago, but feel like Im starting fresh.

When I was a kid, there was a wonderful woman, very wealthy and well known, she could buy anything. Even at a young age, it fascinated me that she made the granny square quilts with the black and then all different color rounds.. She used to let me help her pick colors, so that no two were alike. That was vindication that crafts were OK and not a waste of time. I WILL make some of those afgans, if God gives me breath long enough.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9379968

Crocadile booties. Jan had a pattern & couldn't figure it out so I said I'd try them & see if I could get them to work.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9379983

I live about 30 miles out of Tucson, but am used to driving that far or further having been in the area all my life. There are four really wonderful quilt shops, plus Joann's in Tucson, plus the internet, to keep my hobby well fed... Life is good.
I remember crocheting granny squares in bright wonderful colors. When we had a big garden I had it timed where I'd make a square and then move the hose, make another square, move the hose. I sat on the ground in the shade of the sunflowers. Also got to see a lot of interesting insect activety. (sp?) I saw a wasp knock a tomatoe worm to the ground, wrestle it around a bit, roll it up like a sleeping bag and fly off with it. It took several tries to get off the ground with the worm but she finally did it. One year we grew a patch of corn about 15 ft. sq. We had the garden mulched so thickly with spoiled alfalfa hay that you couldn't see the dirt anywhere in the garden, even the paths. I decided to see what the world looked like from the ground in the corn patch so I lay down between the rows. The corn was 'blooming' and it smelled so sweet and looked so cool from that vantage point. Our house sits on a small hill about a hundred yards from the garden. My husband came out onto the deck and yelled for me and I stood up in the corn patch to answer him. It was like a scene from Hee Haw...We both got a big kick out of that.
amxntransplant
Mexico City
Mexico

January 17, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9388804

[quote="morknotmindy"]I live about 30 miles out of Tucson, but am used to driving that far or further having been in the area all my life. There are four really wonderful quilt shops, plus Joann's in Tucson, plus the internet, to keep my hobby well fed... Life is good.
I remember crocheting granny squares in bright wonderful colors. When we had a big garden I had it timed where I'd make a square and then move the hose, make another square, move the hose. I sat on the ground in the shade of the sunflowers. Also got to see a lot of interesting insect activety. (sp?) I saw a wasp knock a tomatoe worm to the ground, wrestle it around a bit, roll it up like a sleeping bag and fly off with it. It took several tries to get off the ground with the worm but she finally did it. One year we grew a patch of corn about 15 ft. sq. We had the garden mulched so thickly with spoiled alfalfa hay that you couldn't see the dirt anywhere in the garden, even the paths. I decided to see what the world looked like from the ground in the corn patch so I lay down between the rows. The corn was 'blooming' and it smelled so sweet and looked so cool from that vantage point. Our house sits on a small hill about a hundred yards from the garden. My husband came out onto the deck and yelled for me and I stood up in the corn patch to answer him. It was like a scene from Hee Haw...We both got a big kick out of that.[/quote]
What a great story!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9389031

amxntransplant, I love the story. I used to live in Tombstone for many years and I can really relate having move the water around. I used to do my best critter watching at night though. Daytime insects and the infamous night scorpions was one of the reasons we moved. I was stung 11 times by scorpions and it would only get worse each time.
I like the idea of the one granny square at each sitting. Great way to time your watering. Weren't you worried about what critters were under the straw when you were laying in the corn field? We had snakes that liked getting out of the heat and into the shade or cooler areas.

I guess I just such the woos. Oregon doesn't have too many bad bugs or insects but they do have the infamous Brown Recluse Spider. BAD NEWS.

I think I will just stay inside to do my stitching.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9389055

Jan, those scorpion stings hurt like the dickens! We have them here too, and I don't like them!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9389067

Seriously, I don't know what it feels like to be shot but it has to be close. The first time I was stung at night on the couch on the inside of my foot. I felt something moving and went to sort of brush it off with my other foot and that is when it got me three time. Yep. they can sting more then once. OMG. That is when I found out that my husband is useless in an emergency. I had to get on the phone and call the hospital and they told me to call poison control that told me to start taking the strongest pain killer I had. Wouldn't you know all I had was an aspirin. I had to wait till 6 in the morning when my neighbor got up and I got something much stronger. They told me to take it for 48 hours.
To anyone that doesn't know the feeling, it sensitizes every nerve ending around the general area. Mine went up my whole leg. I couldn't even stand the weight of fabric laying across my leg.
Has to be the worst initial pain that I ever experienced and I have had some fairly serious injuries and experiences.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9389087

No thank you. I think I'll stay here in New England and watch the bears in my backyard!!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9389093

Yea, at least you can see those coming. The scorpions are tiny about the size of a quarter or smaller and are beige and blend right into the carpeting and at night you need to walk though with a black light to see them. They glow. We started having our house sprayed monthly and dusted underneath also.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9389170

Hey Gourd, Way back in the fifty's I went to high school in Tombstone. My dad worked at Sands Ranch so I rode the school bus with the kids from the fort as this was before Sierra Vista had a high school. Also lived in St David, graduated from Benson High, was born in Pomerene.
I have many run ins with scorpions here in Oracle, been stung several times. I try to keep Benadryl (sp?) on hand to take when ever I get stung and take it right away. It seems to help keep the pain down to a tolerable level and the effects don't last as long. Last time I
got stung the darn thing was on a t-shirt that I had just put on. The shirt was hanging in the closet so it must have fallen onto it. Anyway, it whapped me three times on the back before I was able to grab a fist full of shirt with it in there. But then I was afraid to let go so I could get the shirt off... I called my DIL who lives about a fourth of a mile away and she came flying and we managed to to get the darned thing out of the shirt without me getting stung again. WhooHoo, what a dance that was! We just did a real fancy fast dance all over that scorpion. He didn't have chance. I did have a reaction that time, besides the discomfort. I took some Benadrly and as I was feeling a tad poorly I went to bed. I was trying to read but my eyes couldn't focus but other than that I was fine. A couple of hours sleep and I was good to go.
Do you want to hear about my run in with the mountain lion?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9389213

OMG, do I want to hear it? Sure.
Isn't the pain excruciating when you first get stung? I can just picture that in your shirt. OMG. Its so awful to think that they can crawl up the wall and onto the ceiling and drop down on you. I just don't want to live anywhere that they do. My daughter is determined to have us move to San Antonio when my husband retires. I like the idea of being close to her but not sure I can handle the heat or the scorpions again.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9389542

The Scorpions in HI was HUGE & vicious. One climbed into a helmet & stung a bald guy on top of his head. They had to call in a helo to medivac him out.

We always unpacked our field gear in the hallway with room doors closed. Always had a few come out.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9389615

ICKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!! OHhhhhhhh (guess I am more squeshish than I ever thought possible)
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9389715

On that note, lets just think of fuzzy warm teddy bears and fuzzy little ducks. Something other then nasty critters.
amxntransplant
Mexico City
Mexico

January 19, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9390028

[quote="Gourdbeader"]On that note, lets just think of fuzzy warm teddy bears and fuzzy little ducks. Something other then nasty critters.[/quote]

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens perhaps? :) scorpions, ewwwww. {shiver}

I do want to hear the mountian lion story!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9390089

Heheh, me too.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9390486

I've never seen scorpions in Atlanta but we have them under ever rock at our cottage. Let me rephrase that under, over and in our cottage. There are lots of species. The ones we have will not kill you but they are like the nastiest wasp sting you can imagine. I have lots of experience with our scorpions. I've found them in the bathtub and sinks, in my house slippers and of course they are under lots of rocks in the garden. All the borders are lined with rocks. They are great predators so I try to keep things in context and lift the rocks carefully while cleaning up the borders. I wear gloves. What really fascinates me is how often I see scorpions all rolled up in spider webs.

So this thread has gone waaay OT but what's new? In response to the original topic, I'd say that what ever provides inspiration or education is a good thing. Of course there is always the perennial student who spends a lot of time acquiring the skills and tools to produce something and doesn't produce anything. That's definitely not the case here.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 7:25 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 19, 2013
10:01 PM

Post #9390868

Yuck I do not like bugs and thank God we don't have them here. I did have a scorpion in my apartment once in Fla. (only lived there 8 months and I left because of thebugs and snake...)!!!!!

The crocadile stitch is quite easy really I made a shawl using that stitch. and of course You tube has a few videos on it too.

NEVER TOO MUCH QUILTING for a quilter just enjoy it lol
Cher
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9391363

Holy Toledo, did we get off tract. heheh

What is a crocodile stitch? Don't think I have seen that one yet. Have you all ever don't the bullion stitch. Its great on crazy quilts which is on my TD list. heheh. Seems like my TD list is getting way too long. I may just have to switch it over to a bucket list if I don't quit adding to it.LOL
amxntransplant
Mexico City
Mexico

January 20, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9391431

[quote="Gourdbeader"]Holy Toledo, did we get off tract. heheh

What is a crocodile stitch? Don't think I have seen that one yet. Have you all ever don't the bullion stitch. Its great on crazy quilts which is on my TD list. heheh. Seems like my TD list is getting way too long. I may just have to switch it over to a bucket list if I don't quit adding to it.LOL[/quote]

Yes, backon track here...

I think my todo list long ago turned to a bucket list ;)

Just like the OP- once you get started into one hobby , it is quite easy to spiraloff into several related (or not, hehe) hobbys... And soon you own more fabric than clothing and you know there is no help for you.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9391485

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=crochet%20alligator%20stitch. This is the crocheted alligator stitch. I had to look it up, as I have never heard of it. It looks easy enough to do.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America