Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 6, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Grannos
Našice
Croatia

January 8, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9379667

English Lavender
Lavandula angustifolia

Lavender seedling from branch

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/289/

Thumbnail by Grannos
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9382131

Can you tell me how you were able to root the cutting?
Grannos
Našice
Croatia

March 21, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9456990

Sorry for the late reply. I didn`t get any notification about your comment.
Rooting is very easy. I simply cut that little branch, dipped it in honey (not entire branch, only part with the cut) and then I planted it in moist soil. Honey has natural growth hormones that can help rooting. As for the soil, it is best that it retains some water so that cutting doesn`t dry + always keep soil moist. Place cuttings in shade because sun would burn them. When you keep them in shade it is optimal situation for cutting to slowly produce food and develop roots. Direct sun would drain to much energy through the leafs.
Roots should form in 2-3 weeks. :)
In April I will make post on my private blog how to do that. (google: in between and undefined)
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9461679

Wow. That does sound so easy. Thank you.
Grannos
Našice
Croatia

March 27, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9463977

:)
Last year my success was around 85% so this year I`ll planting around 180 lavenders into the field. That is a good rooting percentage since I found my lavender two days after it was cut down. I never tried rooting thick branches so I am not sure how that would work.

Thumbnail by Grannos
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9465192

Oh, wow! Have fun planting all of those! 85% isn't too bad. If I find out if any of my lavender survived the winter, then I will have to give it a try; rooting cuttings.
taz6122
Springdale, AR

September 13, 2013
11:10 PM

Post #9659394

Not a seedling. Seedlings come from seeds!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America