Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Plants: Tillandsia Cyanea I'v never even seen one before !!!

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 7, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9380460

I saw it yesterday at the Meijer store and was in love it just said I HAVE to go home with you so now the big question is what do I do and will it live in my house ????
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9380477

Here's a good site with cultural info.:

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week050.shtml
glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9380494

thank you I just love it I have dead alot to night and I hope I can keep it alive I have a few orchids what kind of plant food should I get for it ???
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9380522

Fertilizer: Use a low-copper liquid fertilizer, diluted to 1/4 strength. Feed monthly.

Here's another great site for the care of Tillandsias:

http://houseplants.about.com/od/bromeliad1/p/Tillandsia.htm

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9380531

I have a few tillandsias, and they seem to do fine with misting, same as I do for the orchids. They get orchid fertilizer, very dilute at least once a week, and more often in summer. (mine are outside so it's hot and humid in summer)

They're epiphytes like orchids, so in nature they mostly get their nutrients from the air, dew and rain. Humidity is the key for their health but don't water them much.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9380741

A grower told me, in lieu of misting which can be hard inside homes, they can be dipped in water and/or a very weak solution of liquid fertilizer for a few minutes then take them out and shake them upside down over the sink to remove the excess moisture. My kids who have theirs inside have been doing this successfully for a while now. Mine are still outside and seemingly healthy.

We have only had a few really cold nights (41) and no freezing - yet. This week has certainly been an anomaly weather wise. it looks like we will have to turn on the AC today. A number of deciduous plants have already sprouted and that could spell disaster if the temps drop too much.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9380769

Alice, re - a freeze - I am experiencing the same phenomenon - everything is sprouting again, even though I have cut back very few dead branches. If we get a freeze, I will be in TROUBLE!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 18, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9389152

What do you think my chances are of getting some tillandsia home from Mexico if packed and wrapped tightly in my checked bag? Not much chance of pests living here in the frozen tundra-Wisconsin-even tho I have a g'house. It about makes me ill when I see them in the trees down there. I need a bunch more to fill out my wire wreath form.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America