Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: The Beautiful Possum Haw, Ilex decidua.

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9380878

This beautiful shrub or small tree brightens the winter months here in Texas until the birds descend upon it in big flocks and devour all those berries.
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ILDE

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9380935

I love Possum Haw Hollies. I have a small back yard, but still found room to plant 2 of these and several Yaupons. This is a shrub that needs almost zero attention and thrives in our climate of extremes. All of mine are full of berries and the resident Mockingbird is wearing himself out defending everything.

Carla

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9380952

Yes that is right, those mockingbirds are very possessive, but when hundreds of birds come they just can't keep up.
It is really cute to see them try.
Josephine.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9381209

I love them! I'd like to have one in my yard, but not sure where I'd put it right now. I love all the various berries trees & bushes put on for their winter color.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

January 10, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9381365

This is one of those plants that I keep meaning to add to my yard but never seem to think about when I have access to the shrubs. I'm seeing them along the roadsides now and am "fired up" to get one or two. Anyone have a source in the DFW area that has them?

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9381386

I don't have any, wish I did, but Redenta's usually has them although they are a little pricey, I need to try and propagate some.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

January 10, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9381551

Thanks, Josephine. Yeah, I've thought about stopping and collecting some berries and propagating some but I'm impatient and want the "instant gratification" a fair size plant. One of its various wildlife benefits is that it's a host plant for the PawPaw Sphinx.

Dale Clark
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9381710

I got one last spring at the RU at Rouxcrew's. Caryana brought it to me from the Lady Bird Johnson Center. The birds have almost cleared mine of berries but it is only 4' tall so that was not too hard to do. I tried rooting some cuttings the year before and they put out leaves and looked good. then I took the plastic bags off that had been keeping the humidity up and the cuttings all died. I'll have to try again. I also tried some seed, stratified an.d not stratified. So far, no success but I still have some seed. I think I would have had about twenty cuttings if I had not killed them. I was planning to offer them at the RU in Hempsteadd and at Sybrams. It was disappointing but I love the challenge of rooting things and growing from seed. It's like reading a good story with suspense. I'll keep trying. I took those cuttings from the side of the road in winter and they leafed out really well so that may be a good time to take cuttings.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9381773

I know that it is difficult to propagate, I have tried with no luck also, it is better to do cuttings because from seed you don't know if you will get a male or a female, the female is the one with the fruit, so it is best to take cuttings from a female shrub.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9381843

Now is time to start cuttings-they do better if planted in ground and left alone- but stick the cutting deep into its place. We look to be having an early spring again again- Feb wont be too early for natives this year...

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9384816

Well, I decided to plant some cuttings of Possum Haw today, but I didn't want to put them in the ground because the squirrels are such a problem.
So I took some cuttings about six inches long and put them in a quart pot, then I covered them with a two litter bottle with the bottom cut out, this makes a perfect fit and should protect them from the squirrels as well as from the cold and I can water them when needed.

There are six of them in the pot, we shall see what happens, I will keep you all informed.
Josephine.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

January 14, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9385079

Josephine - thanks for posting this. I think I'm going to try it myself. There's a clump of these growing along the side of a back road near here that are full of fruit right now. I'll try the seed method and the cutting method. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dale Clark

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9385419

You are welcome Dale, I hope it works great for you.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

February 25, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9431387

Josephine -- I made three cuttings of Possum Haw on January 19th. Snipped about 18 inches off and stuck each in a one gallon pot with a mix of compost and potting soil. Checked today and all three have rooted very well. I was surprised that they rooted so quickly from hard wood (being in the heated greenhouse probably helped). Needless to say, I'm pretty happy!

Dale Clark

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9431423

Mine are not in a greenhouse, they are on the patio, they are starting to bud out some leaves, I pulled one out to check, but there are no roots, not even a callus yet, so maybe the heat made a great difference, I don't know, we shall see what happens with mine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America