Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clematis: Ready, set, order!

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 202, Views: 1,681
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9380975

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284448/

It's hard to imagine any of us on this forum being thrilled with a new vacuum for Christmas (or as a gift anytime) but a nice gift certificate from Brushwood, Garden Crossings, Klehm's or Silver Star Vinery would be more likely to evoke smiles.

Brushwood has quite a few on sale if you haven't noticed. I tried to be good and actually didn't order any but I did save 12 photos for clem's to consider for this year. The old lack of space issue always has to come into play. http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/?gclid=CP_D95Wp3rQCFVCd4AodwDoA1w

I did find one spot that needs a low growing clematis but I'd like some for the new garden (the former vegetable garden) and think one (or two) could go against the sunny side of the shed. This morning I had a mason measure to lift the bricks in the path and reset them in cement. That will be one less concern for me. I'm too afraid of tripping on the wood edging that is there now.

Show us your new found spots to place clematises. We need to brighten this winter and get ready for spring.

We're due for a nice warm weekend here in the Northeast with temperatures in the 50's for the weekend. It would be a good time to cut back any class 3 clem's since they get pruned to the ground. I'll be heading to the rose garden shortly. Roses! They always look good with clematis. What fun! Now it's just to match the clem's to the roses.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9381039

I am all for new spots but I want to be sure the clems I planted 2 years ago will come back or it will just be old spota for me.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9381225

A lot depends on the depth of planting and the size of the clematises you bought. If you have any doubt about the depth and you can get to your compost piles this weekend, when we should have some warmer weather, use a pot to get enough compost to cover the clematises by 6" or more. No need to water. You can put mulch on top of the compost to help prevent wind driven weed seeds from making a home in the compost.

I'm curious - what is spota?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9381256

spota is the Italian pronunciation for spot.
Seriously just a typo.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 10, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9381267

Sorry I looked at the Brushwood site...Andromeda really caught my eye...may have to get it...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9381469

Funny, Jo Ann!

Marilyn - that's one I saved. Did you see Happy Birthday? It's out of stock now but a great looking clem:

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 11, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9381915

That's a beauty, Pirl...nice saturated color...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9381951

The contrast is good as well.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9382398

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. Arlene, i love the title of this thread:~) I can't believe it's that time of year again to order clematis. Brushwood has some excellent choices, but several that I had on my wants list weren't available, and I had to give them my info to let me know when they would be. I chose others, some of which I don't recall seeing last year. Here's my list of ordered plants:

Andromeda
Best Wishes
Chantilly (this one is listed as fragrant)
Fleuri
Little Mermaid
Red Star
Veronica's Choice
Yukiokoshi

These are coming in late March, and I'm looking forward to growing these plants.

Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9382401

Hi Annette! Andromeda seems to be leading a few lists of clematises people want this year. I think Happy Birthday is just lovely (or did I say that already?). Love the depth of color on Fleuri!

Provided I can dig up two asparagus plants in the field dedicated to them, I can hunt down two special clem's to go wild over our shed. Most often the asparagus roots are much larger than anyone would expect. If I win and can move them I'll be happy.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9382413

Hi Arlene, Happy Birthday is gorgeous, too bad it's not available now. I hope that you get to move some of those asparagus plants. It's always nice to be able to add a few new clematis.

Andromeda was on my wish list from last year, it's got lovely colors, and I'm glad that I was able to get it.

I wonder if the plants that are listed by Brushwood as not available are sold out, or if they haven't grown them to a size that can be sold yet? Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9382416

They must limit the number they grow. In late October/early November I wanted a specific one but it was in the sold out category so I filled out the form for notification and by December it was available but then I was finishing gardening, Christmas shopping and it was after everything was wrapped that Jack went into emergency surgery, so I didn't get to order it then. I'm sure any popular clematis will become available again soon. I'd guess the size of the plant determines when they're ready to sell it again.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9382434

I hope that Jack is recovering well, I'm sorry to hear that he had to have emergency surgery.

I'm glad Brushwood offers the notification service. I wanted Liberation in 2011, but it was old out, and I got notified of it's availability on December 1, 2011, so I ordered then, for delivery in April 2012.

Thanks for letting us know about Brushwood, I've been very pleased with all of the plants that I have received from them in the past.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9382443

It was followed by another emergency surgery - both for the ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. I'm glad it's behind us now. He is recovering, slowly but surely.

I like Brushwood's notification system too, and it works.

They are a very obliging company. I once deleted a clem in favor of another and it was the day before they were to be shipped to me. Dan is a good guy and didn't give me any grief over it. Mine, from Brushwood, have all thrived but that's not the case with a lesser known company and I very seldom mention their name and never recommend them.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9382525

I'm glad that Jack is recovering from such a traumatic experience, you both have been through so much.

I agree that Brushwood is an excellent source for clematis, and for good prices as well. They do send healthy plants that have done well here.

I have looked at some of the other online sources for clemstis, but I like the fact that Brushwood is here in GA, which also helps with shipping costs.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 12, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9382620

Oh, Pirl, I'm so sorry to hear about Jack! Hoping he's on the mend. Unfortunately, that's what took my husband in 2010...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9382769

Arlene

What a scare! So glad Jack is on the mend. How are you and Smitty holding up?

Unfortunately I will not be ordering any clems this year. I have 2 integrifolias and a pruning group 2 heeled into the backyard for the winter.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9382819

Thanks, Annette, Marilyn and Carolyn. It was a scary time, indeed, but he's back home and even went back to doing the laundry today and making his own breakfast. He must be feeling much better. It's just the swelling of the feet and legs that concern us even though he has them elevated all night and a good part of the day.

Marilyn - I came close to losing my dad when he had his aneurysm. It's a risky procedure and only 25% survive it, per the doctor, regardless of age or physical fitness.

Does anyone have one of the Evison low growing clematises that they'd recommend? I need one for a spot near the montana Grandiflora.

My computer is on the fritz so I'm writing from the library again. I'll return when the computer cooperates or gets fixed or else on Monday from the library again.

I did work outside for two hours today and couldn't help but notice the swollen buds on Pink Champagne. Any glimmer of spring is most welcome on this dreary day.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9382851

Hurray! My computer guy told me what to do over the phone so I'm back home. I hated the keyboard on the library's computer.

This is the spot where I'd like a new clematis. The gnomes will just have to adjust to the intruder.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 12, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9382944

What's the large plant? A clem?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9383018

Yes. Montana Grandiflora and it truly is a monster.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9383241

It was an amazingly warm day here today, at a balmy 74 degrees, and intermittently sunny. I spent several hours in the garden cleaning and spraying the daylilies. I also checked on the clematis, and they're all growing nice pips, including the most recently planted clematis.

The Camellias are still blooming nicely, and I've finally seen Goggy bloom. When I bought the plant it wasn't in bloom, so I assumed the picture on the tag, which stated Double Shell Pink,would be the bloom I was going to get. I kinda missed the small print that said "Goggy". Imagine my surprise today when the bloom looked nothing like the picture on the tag, LOL. It was a happy surprise.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get to 72 degrees, so I'll spend some more time outside doing more garden clean up. Winter weather will be returning next week.

Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9383252

Lucky you! What color did it end up being?

We had dank, dreary, misty all day long. I'm glad I went out early and got something done. Tomorrow is supposed to be wonderful but that's what the forecasters said about today. I did see the forecast for later in the week and it's not warm weather.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9383268

Hi Arlene, Goggy is a pale pink double, and I really like it.

I hope you do get some warm weather tomorrow. it was nice to spend some time outside today, after the rainy day we had here yesterday. The cold, rainy weather is on it's way back to GA next week.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9383401

We need photos at this time of year, Annette. It's so foggy here and so dank. The day can only get better.

People who don't garden just dismiss days like this, and cold weather, but we gardeners seem to take it personally...as we should!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9383639

Hi you all up north from a warm place in Ga. My Ladybanks rose is blooming and my Raspberry Truffle Salvia is still in bloom. The pansies are looking good and I bought one of the left over Amerillas (?) it is buding, so everything is a OK in Ga.
Pirl, I am glad that you are all better, it will take time for Jack to get back to his old self. You take care of your self and the puppy so you can be for Jack .
Annette, do you have a large yard, or it is just like my yard, 40 x 60 feet. I keep digging up the grass so I can plant more flowers. I think this year I will plant some beets in between the flowers, went to the store and they are selling them $3.00 a bunch of three beets. I got me a juicer and I have been enjoying some fresh juice. The last picture is of the family, that was my Christmas present from them. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9383721

Etelka

What a beautiful family you have.

Our snow has finally melted. I am sure the rivers are quite full, but truth be told I
am glad the snow is gone.

Arlene - did you figure out what kind of clem you are going to put into the area in your photo? I am wondering if an integrifolia is in order. You know how I love the ingrifolias. Dan has some really beautiful ones - all of my integrifolias came from Brushwood.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22      

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 13, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9383816

That is a beautiful family...and beautiful flowers...I'm so sick of looking at snow! Went to the Brushwood site yesterday & ordered Andromeda & Shirayukhime...hope there's a nickname for that one!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9383875

We're jealous of your Lady Banks and others that you have blooming now while we endure dank, damp weather. Forecasters lie!

Nice Christmas gift, Etelka. Everyone looks good.

Enjoy your juicer and your amaryllis. I've had many bloom this winter and more to enjoy in the next few weeks.

Carolyn - that just might be the ideal answer for me. I'll go looking after dinner. Thanks for the good thought.

Marilyn - just call it Shira for short!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9384033

Hi Etelka, you have a beautiful family. Also, your garden is coming along beautifully.

The answer to your question is that we live on 1/2 acre, and I'm also steadily removing more grass to get more room to garden, sometimes the DH notices, sometimes he doesn't.

Today was another beautiful day here, in the low 70's again, with intermittent sunshine. I was able to finish trimming all of the clematis, and m. Mayleen was put back up on the drain, and strung across the entrance to our back deck.

I'll post some pictures later, after family movie night.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9384064

Arlene, here are some pictures of Camellia Goggy, the shrub, blooms, and the tag that came with the plant. I did finally smell the Camellias blooming in the front garden, and none of them are scented.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9384071

More blooms from outside today, with Camellia Taylor's Perfection, and Nuccio's Bella Rosa is going gangbusters ;~0

I also have a foxglove blooming, boy is this plant confused, and the hellebores are starting to put out buds.

Finally, a few inside blooms, my Amaryllis, and part of the mixed Hyacinths are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9384072

Each blossom is just so perfect, Annette. They remind me of china figurines. With that kind of beauty I'm sure you don't need scent as well.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9384081

Here is m. Mayleen finally put back on the drain pipe, and DH has agreed to put in some hooks for me to train Mayleen across the entrance to the back patio. The daffodils pictured are in the same bed with Mayleen, but to her left. I can't remember the name, I'll have to put a tag there after they bloom to identify them.

I took my life into my hands standing on the plant pot with Camellia Mathotiana to get Mayleen back up. I'm glad it was a sturdy pot, made of cement.

Arlene, the dark, dank weather is heading in this direction, with the rains starting tonight, and continuing over the next 2-3 days. It's going to get much colder over the next 10 days, so my time in the garden is done for now. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165         

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9384103

Here's a website that I discovered today, called Clematis on the Web. I spent quite some time there, it has over 3000 pictures of clematis, oh my!!!!

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
1:34 AM

Post #9384185

Annette

It looks like heaven. I love the camellias. It is going to be a while before we start to look like your neck of the woods.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9384232

Thanks for the compliments Arlene, and Carolyn, I do love the Camellias. I'm excited to finally see some blooms on plants that have been in for several years, that I had not seen bloom before. Now that I have room under the Cryptomeria canopy in the front garden, I'll will be adding a few more of these plants. Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 14, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9384418

Love the Goggy camellia, but also the color on the amaryllis...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9384462

Mayleen will love the additional support.

COTW is a great way to spend a rainy day!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9388643

Thanks for the compliments Marilyn.

Arlene, I can't wait till the DH gets the rest of the hooks I need across the entrance.

We have had 3 straight days of rain so far this week, I believe I saw Noah's ark float by this afternoon. We now have the threat of snow, sleet, and ice tonight. I wish all the best to my fellow northern gardeners with the winter weather coming your way. Annette

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 7:32 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9388701

Is he putting the hooks into holes he drills between the stones of your glorious stone work? I only did that once and had to measure carefully. Glad it came out right.

I'm still in the midst of reorganizing the 36,988 photos that appeared on this new laptop from the old computer that barely had 23,000 so there are lots of duplicates to be deleted but so much eye strain. I could stay here a week just working on photos!

Today, believing the weather report, I went outside to remove the deer netting from one of the Jackmanii clematises. I thought my hands were frozen by the time I finished. Then I had to hoist up Pink Champagne to the scrollwork with wire. Wire and cold hands make for an icy job. Glad those two things are done.

Does anyone have any experience with Purpurea Plena Elegans?

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 18, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9389517

Pretty color...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9389540

That is Pink Champagne (from Koi). Here's another of Pink Champagne. I always know when I love a clem because I buy it again.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9389629

The DH will put the hooks in the woodwork that goes across the entrance to the patio. I want to use Mayleen to frame that area and have it go down the other side.
It was interesting to see that it was already starting to put out leaves underneath where it had not been exposed to the cold weather. I suspect it won't be doing much more growing because of the weather we now have coming. I'm also not going to do any trimming unless I have portions of it that's dead. That's been my big mistake in the past, with trimming way too much of the old wood, to prevent Mayleen from consuming the house, and therefore cutting off the stems that would have provided blooms.

I love Pink Champage, it is a prolific grower here, and has been the best performing newly planted clematis for me so far. This will be the second year that it's in the garden There was no sleeping, or creeping, it leaped from the first year that it was planted. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9389678

If you need additional support for Mayleen you can use dental floss (very strong) to hoist up stems as needed. I've used it many times.

I trim the Grandiflora from the inside of the dog's pen but not the outside, which is why it is huge. If I didn't trim it on the inside the whole area would be one 16' x 12' Grandiflora.

Hurray for Pink Champagne!

You can see the dental floss used here to tie the clem to the obelisk.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9389735

Arlene, you are a wealth of information. Thanks for the tip about the dental floss. I have learned so much from you. I'm adding that advise to my Garden Essentials list for 2013.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9389917

Thanks, Annette. I have things that didn't work as well! Strike down string. It rots too fast in sun. I do love the chenille ties but doubt I have a photo of them. They are about a foot long and can be cut as needed. They disappear from sight but can be saved for many years. They're available at florist supply shops and probably craft stores.

I've looked for the green chenille ties for 30 minutes now and can't find them but, just so you know what you're looking for, here's a link to a bag of colored ties:

http://www.joann.com/pepperell-noodle-roonie-jumbo-craft-stems-12-6-pkg-primary/zprd_10757722a/

Some store must sell the green ones that a friend sends me!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9390225

Thanks for the link Arlene, it's always nice to have a picture example. Years ago, I bought 1000 ft of green twist tie that I finally used the last of last year. I've now found it in reels of 150 ft that I bought last fall, and it is quite strong in holding up the plants. I have also used the green plastic ties that were 1/2 in wide, which I found wasn't very strong, and the plants would fall down, because this material was too weak. The plastic ties were what I used with Mayleen last year, and the reason why she fell off of the drain. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9390282

The whole process of living and learning (always the hard way) can be annoying!

Another one that didn't work as planned was using a section of green plastic coated fencing over the clematises in the barrel at the white fence. I did it to encourage the clem's to grow over the fence but now I have a mess to cut back since they all got tangled.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9390710

Finally found a photo of the green chenille ties. It's at the top right of this photo. They held the tomato vine in place very well.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9391125

The green chenille ties really do disappear into the plants, I had to look to find it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9391245

The color is good and it does blend in well. It's strong and that's what is important to me.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9407392

I guess the clematis must agree with the groundhog that we're going to have an early spring. The pips continue to increase in size, and I suspect leaves are on the way. Snow Queen at the mail box get's the most sun of all the clematis that I grow, and seems to be the furthest along.

Here are Snow Queen, Crystal Fountain, Patricia Ann Fretwell, and Barbara Jackman already making a move. these pictures were taken this afternooon. Let's hope we don't get another seriously cold spell. We're going to have several days in the 60's this week. I hope the groundhog is right with his prediction. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9407424

Wonderful, hopeful photos, Annette! So glad to see how well they're doing and so early. Even a cold snap doesn't seem to bother them now so let's hope your weather remains warm and the groundhog is correct (as if they really know or care).

This has been a very busy winter here and I've had to go over all my photos but the reward is well worth it. While looking at photos I did find a spot that is ideal for a clematis so now I can shop guilt-free that I'd buy something and not have a place for it. The spot that's under the window of the shed has very fertile ground and the nearby asparagus thrive so I imagine a clematis would love it.

For anyone who loves lilies you can't beat Bert's prices. Look at his Classified ad on DG and his amazing prices! I've seen some of these, like Muscadette, Mona Lisa, Conca d'Or, Tiny Spider and Hotline at more than triple his prices. Here's his ad so just go to it and click on the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296570/

I fell in love with Hotline the first time I saw it. Just Google "images" and you'll see it. Reminds me and others of Omoshiro!

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9407509

Hi Arlene, I'm glad you've found a spot for a new clematis. I'm still thinking about where to put the 8 that I've ordered.

I love Bert's lily bulbs. I've ordered from him in the last 2 years, and the lily bulbs are beautifully packaged, are healthy, and do really well here. I had a chance to meet Bert 2 years ago, when he came to see my blooming bulbs. He's a really nice man.

Hotline is beautiful. I may have to indulge. I already ordered lilies from the end of season sale from Van Engelen and got Asiatics White Pixels, Orange Eletric, Oriental Auratum Gold Band, Op Anastasia, Tigrum Sweet Surrender, and Tr. Regale Album. For spring I've got coming Silk Road, Triumphator, Ormea, and Sunny Crown coming from B & D lilies, and more Anastasia, Scheherzade, Lillium hansonii, formosum, and Red Hot coming from Brent and Becky's. I can see more grass being removed this year to accommodate the new bulbs.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9407520

My thrill came from finding the spot by accident and it makes me wonder how many other spots I've overlooked.

Bert does a good job. I counted up what it would have cost me elsewhere and the total saved was over $80. and my cost is only $40. so I'm happy.

Well, you certainly aren't shy about ordering lilies! Triumphator is gorgeous and has lasted me years here. Anastasia is glorious and the scent is heavenly. Last year I put in a big order from B & D and First Crown was available. That is one gorgeous lily.

Between the clematises you ordered and the lilies you might as well set up a cot outside so you won't waste time getting everything planted. Have fun!

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9411562

I pray that all of my northern DG friends stay safe during the blizzard that is expected starting tomorrow. May you and all of your families be safe. Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 7, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9411566

Thanks, Annette...I'm hoping it will be 12-18"...that's manageable...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013

Post #9411644

Thanks from me, too. I'm sure we'll be fine staying indoors and watching the blizzard from safety.

My daughter and her family leave for 10 days in Hawaii on Sunday. I could try and hide in their luggage but they'd probably notice
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9411824

Hi Arlene, I hate to say this, but I'll be traveling to Hawaii on Saturday ;~) I'll be in Maui for 6 days for a conference. I'm looking forward to getting away from this cold, dank weather we've been having. It's been raining for 2 days, with more rain expected, which is good for the plants, giving them a nice start for the spring.

Stay safe and warm, with the crazy weather heading your way. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9411874

Annette - have a wonderful time. I'll sit here and go through our photos of two weeks in Hawaii back in 2002. I just hope we'll keep our electricity through the storm, which is moving rapidly.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9411987

Good luck today, Pirl...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9411992

Thanks. We're fine but those near Boston may have some major problems.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 8, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9412005

I see it's changing to rain along the coast for awhile anyway...will cut down on accumulation, I hope!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9415829

Hi you all in the frozen tundra, greetings from a balmy Ga. today after the good rain I went and checked my clems, they are all doing good, John Warner looks like it has buds on, the first time ever, last year I got it late. Then I was thinking of " so what is it next to do with the clems, should I start firtilizing and epsom salt, or what to do with them. We are done with the snow, I think, but sometime it surprizes us late in February. Any advice, they are now sprouting, I better get ready with my trellises. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9415856

Hi, Etelka. We're thawing out up here on the elongated iceberg. We had rain today and lots of fog with more of the same for tomorrow.

Just look at the tops of each clematis and cut back any that don't appear to have leaf buds. You can also cut back any stems that look dead but be sure you look carefully and don't cut off the wrong stem (as I have done more times than can be believed). You can put down some Epsom salt and cover it with manure and compost. It will slowly work magic on your clem's.

Marilyn - did you get a lot of snow? My son is in CT and he had 18" as we did.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 11, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9415921

Well, Arlene, the newspaper said 24-30", but the drifts were 4-41/2' around my house...I can't see any clems! The snow almost made it to the top of my trellis...my front door can be opened, but you can't get anywhere from it, unless you can walk on top of the drifts...not even today's rain, fog, or 38 degrees made much difference...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9416010

Eek! Our back door is totally blocked but we have other doors we can use, thankfully. I was concerned about you when I heard where the storm would hit hardest. No clem's to be seen here, Marilyn!

We must have slept through some major winds because a few minor pine limbs are down in the back. Recent storms, from 2011 and 2012, have taken so much that I figured there was little more damage any storm could do.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
10:26 PM

Post #9416260

Aloha from Maui, HI. I'm glad that everyone and their families did well with the storms. I hope that the Northeast continues to defrost quickly. I'm wishing I could send some warmth your way

Here are a few pictures from our whale watching tour today. We saw several schools of dolphins, and a lot of whales, several of which breached, or were seen rolling around, slapping the water. Our catamarans were the Hula Girl and the Shangri La.

It rained on the eastern side of the mountain, and the trade winds blew the mist from the rain to the west side of the island, which created a rainbow that we were able to see while out on the water.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 12, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9416386

Looks like Paradise!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9416401

It is beautiful! I have always wanted to go on a whale watch when we have been in the Boston area. Seems that either something is going on or it is the wrong time of year for the whale watches. I will at some point, be able to go on one. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9416439

We've been on many whale watching trips and they are magnificent creatures. One swam right next to our boat! Hard to get enough photos.

Looks great, Annette! Enjoy every minute.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
1:22 AM

Post #9417372

Thanks everyone, it's nice to be experiencing warm weather at this time of the year.

We visited the Kula Botanical Garden today. I'll share some pictures once I download and resize them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9418710

Happy Valentines Day to all, especially clematis lovers!

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 14, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9419204

Same to you...great color on that clem.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9419289

Thank you, Marilyn. It was either a Walmart or Home Depot (plant in a bag) purchase from many years ago. By late February to early March I am highly susceptible to anything that can be grown.

More snow coming Friday night.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9419315

Pirl, I am glad that you will be snowed in with your favorite person. Here we have some cold nights , but tomorow will be in the 60s. Just noticed that my favorite clem Daniel Deronda has a bud on it, I am happy. I will have 4 days off, so better do something with the trellises. I will have to buy me a cordless drill, so I can do some drilling. I wish they have some clasess on how to do things for women. I have lots of tools, but not much of the knowledge how to use them properly. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9419401

Our driveway is clear and so are the roads. Today we had 44 and it was very sunny and felt like spring - only five weeks to go!

That's wonderful news about Daniel. He's one man that won't disappoint you!

From all Jack has said, cordless is not as powerful as having a cord so ask before you buy and you might ask the sales person to show you how to use it and what bits you might need for your job. Up here Home Depot does have some home improvement courses but I seldom pay attention since I'm not about to tackle laying a ceramic tile floor...ever. Mine were done a while ago and will remain as they are. If you can find a talented sales woman maybe she could come over to show you how to use your tools and you could repay her with one of your wonderful dinners.

The rose heart is lovely.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9419983

February 15th - better than Valentine's Day because it's Zuzu's birthday!

My very best wishes to Zuzu for a spectacular new decade to spend with your roses, clematises and all that makes you happy.

1. Just a taste of Zuzu's gardens.

2. Our Zuzu.

3. Smitty, who is only here to offer help eating your birthday cake!

Best wishes always,
Arlene

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl      

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 15, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9420265

Beautiful garden!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9420330

Oh, Pirlie, thank you. Smitty's welcome to help me eat my birthday cake every year. Such a darling doggie!

Oh, how I miss my magenta tennis shoes! I wore them to shreds.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9420364

Happy Birthday Zuzu, i hope you had an amazing day, and may you be Blessed with many happy gardening years. Your garden is gorgeous.

Arlene, Smitty is toooooo adorable.

After spending 10 hours flying, I'm finally back home in GA. The first thing I did this afternoon was do a quick garden tour. Some the clematis pips have leafed out, with Josephine being the furthest along. We have a 30% chance of snow tomorrow, and more cold weather coming next week. I guess these plants want it to be spring already ;~) Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9420430

Smitty would love it, Zuzu!

I always associate you with your famous pink sneakers. The pain of having to discard a favorite pair of shoes can not be underestimated.

Annette - my daughter and her family were in Oahu for a few days and are now on Hawaii. They're enjoying every minute of it.

Your clematis will survive the snow in fine shape. They are much stronger plants than we regard them to be. We humans and the plants want spring to arrive sooner than it is due.

Even some potted items are perking up already!

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9420445

Too funny Arlene, too funny, your potted kitty looks well cared for.

I hope your daughter and her family continue to have the best time in Hawaii, I'm sure it's been nice for them to have some fun in the warm weather at this time of year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9420477

That's another of Zuzu's kitties. We have an only child, Smitty.

They have another 6 days of bliss. I hope they don't return to the snow they left behind. Now footprints in the courtyard make it look as though we've been visited by Bigfoot!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9420834

Look up Princes Kate Clematis. It is only sold in Europe now. But what a beauty.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9421047

Hi you all, I am still building and changing my corner, today I have found a plastic/stucco looking flowerpot, tried it out for the birdbath base. I think it will have to do, when I tried to buy a real birdbath, could not lift it up. What you think of the brick edging, I see I have to straighten it, I just done it in the hurry. I am also sending you some cheer, my pansies are beutifull, hope it cheers you up in the cold north. Tonight it will be possible snow here, but not much usualy, meybe a 1/2" Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta         

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9421194

It looks great, what kind of bricks did you use, bricks are those actual wall stones?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9421205

It looks good, Etelka. Are you planning to step over the brick and stones each time you want to plant or remove weeds or work in the area? You could leave out a few stones in the middle to give you an easier way to get in and out of the area.

Those cement bird bath tops are heavy! With every year that passes they get heavier!

We're due for more snow but the snow we did get today was gone in a flash. It's been too warm for it to stick.

Pretty pansies!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9421221

Thanks, Pirl and Mary, I will put some mulch around the flowers so the weeds wont grow, probobly will plant some Million bells petunias, sweetpotato wine on the edge to cascade down. I still have to get some 15 bags of dirt to fill it up. I have put the pots in the back, with tall oriental lillies in them, since nothing will grow there from the roots. these bricks where some that I bought in Lows, wanted something kind of natural looking and cheep, so these where 99 cents. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9421232

Now I get it. You're making a raised bed there in the corner! It will be lovely.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 16, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9421240

Nice seeing the pansies...I shoveled another 2+" off the drive today...am really sick of this snow...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9421247

It loses the pretty and fun descriptions by this time of the winter. We'll get more from tonight's storm than the city.

funnthsun

funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9424268

Clematis Bijou! Can't wait to try that one. It only grows 1-2 feet tall, so is supposed to be a "breakthrough" as a shrub-like clematis. Looking forward to trying it as a spiller edger over a raised bed.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9424381

That is such a pretty one and stays nice and neat. Please post photos for us when it blooms.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9426085

The vigor of this clematis is amazing and rabbit manure may be the magic nutrient.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299236/
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9428850

Here in Augusta, we have been swimming now for 3 days, I think my clems will turn into waterlillies. I just found out that my John Warren has a bud on it, it is a first one for it, I bought it last year and never bloomed. I had to remind my self how does it look like on the Brushwood website. It is as nice as Omoshiro, but little darker. It is planted next some Lorapetlum (?) bush, it my climb on it this Summer. Hope you all are staying well, I am already restless from being stuck in the house. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9428859

The other name for February is "Restless". We're all so eager to get outside and find anything of value since snow is not a big seller up here in the northeast. Even the deer walk past the gardens and know better than to stop and search for anything.

It's good to hear you have buds on John Warren, Etelka. Up here we have brown stems that will come to life sometime in March and bloom in May. It feels like a very long wait this winter. Even Smitty prefers to sleep through winter.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9428870

I have found out I can use the plastic $10.00 kidi pool for mixing my flowerpot soil, it was full of mixed soil but now is full of water too, so I hade to make some holes in it to drain it. I guess it is ok, that is the only use I have for it. I was going to repot some of my hosta, but the rain was faster then I was. My front yard looks like some of the horder peoples yard on TV. I have been collecting pots to do wintersowing, I guess this weekend is the last chance to do it. Got to use up some of my last year seeds, and also I have been ordering some new ones. I am glad Smity is toing good, probobly will be happier in Spring when he and Jack can have they walk. Sendin you a funny dog picture. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9428886

Etelka

Love the picture! Needed a haha this morning.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9428905

Carolyn, is it snowing in your area? I remember showeling snow on Easter Sunday in 1983, year before I moved down to Ga. I have not showeled since. I am building a Arc here, my dog house is almost floating, I hope my dog knows how to swim. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9428911

That's a great photo, Etelka!

You've made good use of the little pool...until the rain arrived. I recall that Ark feeling all too well.

You have empty pots while I have the hoarder's look with far too many pots filled with daylilies that I had to dig up to get the evil Houttuynia removed but at least the rotten weed is gone. I'm trying to find places for all the pots until they bloom and I can put some at the end of the driveway for anyone that wants the ones I can't keep.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9428922

I just have one daylilli bush, it is a nice salmon color, but I gave away all my daylillies, they where very neglected looking, maybe to much sun. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9428935

Most of them look awful after they bloom. The leaves are in the midst of dying as new leaves are being formed. I just cut them back to the ground and they resprout quickly and look good until frost.

Just look at the difference 14 days can make!

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 23, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9428986

I've never cut back my daylilies...maybe I should...thanks for the wolfhound photo...I owned a wheaten one, Nora, over 20 years ago...still miss her.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9429034

It's just a matter of the looks of a garden with a lot of daylilies. I cut them back after bloom and again in November or December, after frost halts the growth anyhow. It makes for easier spring cleaning outside, for me, and fewer hiding spots for slugs. Just a scissors does the job.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9429082

Hello everyone, I put the Wellies on and squished around the garden to take a few pictures today. If there is anymore rain, I may need a row boat to get around outside. I had to clean up the mess of the pine bark mulch off the side walk that had been washed out with the last 3 days of rain. I'm actually happy that we have been getting so much rain to get the garden off to a good start this spring.

I am thrilled to say that clematis armandii never fails to disappoint and has started blooming this week, and has tons on buds yet to open. Now that the Cryptmerias have been limbed up, I will get to enjoy the true beauty of this plant. It usually starts blooming the 2nd to 3rd week of March, but it has been getting more sun and water, which I suspect has caused it to bloom earlier.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9429098

Patricia Ann Fretwell, Niobe, Arabella, Mrs. Cholmondeley, and Crystal Fountain are also leafing out. PAF seems to have buds already.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9429109

Clematis m. Mayleen, Snow Queen, Josephine, Duchess of Albany, and Ramona don't want to get left out.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9429121

The camellias are still blooming. Swan Lake and Carter's Sunburst are still in pots, and need to be planted, Taylor's Perfection has been blooming for weeks.

I have to state that for the clematis, I did not cut the group 2's down as I did is years past, cutting off the old wood, and therefore wating longer to see blooms. I'm looking forward to bloom season this year.

I'm also looking forward to the Brushwood order arriving, and adding the new plants to the garden.

BTW Etelka, your picture of the dogs is too adorable, it took me a minute to get it. My John Warren also appears to have a bud on it.

Arlene, as always, Smitty is too cute. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9429141

Your photos are wonderful, Annette, but your entrance belongs on the cover of a magazine! Fantastic.

In my next life I want your house!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9429147

Arlene, you are too funny. Thanks for the compliments. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9429176

I'm serious, Annette. I have never seen such a beautiful entry as yours.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 23, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9429215

It's a beautiful place...the camellias are awesome.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9429216

Blushing here Arlene, thank you so much, you are too kind.

Here is my John Warren, it has a small bud at the very top. I may have to move it to the right of this post for it to get more sun. It's further behind than the other clematis with it's leaf growth.

I trimmed Pink Champagne by 1/3 when I cut all the clematis back last fall. I checked on it this week, and it has been broken down to < 1ft. It was tied to our fence, with neighbors next door who have 2 small boys, and I wonder if they pulled it down? There is no other reason for this clematis to be this size now, all the other trimmed clematis are fine. I may have to put up landscape mesh along the fence to prevent little fingers from getting through.. The good news is that PC has been a vigorous grower for me so it should come back fine.

Edited to add, thanks Marilyn, I love my camellias.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2013 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9429435

Annette - I want your entrance too - so gorgeous and I would love to be able to grow camelias.

Etelka - no, thankfully it is not snowing. Actually today wasn't bad at all- we were in the 40's today. I am hoping it stays there.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9430478

Carolyn you are also too kind. Thank you for the compliments.

Today was a great day, it was a balmy 62 degrees, so I spent all day working in the garden, cleaning up and fertilizing the plants. I put composted manure around all the clematis, since many of them are actively growing now. Next weekend, they'll get they first dose of Epsom salt for the year.

I'm happily exhausted, but I'm thankful I was able to get so much done due to our nice weather. We've got another 2 days of rain coming starting tomorrow, and the cold weather is coming back for a few days. Annette
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9441189

Clematis armandii continues to put out more blooms, but I haven't been able to enjoy it wonderful scent, it's really cold and windy here today. These pictures were taken yesterday, the camellia is J.G. Drayton that is blooming to the right of armandii.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9441209

Some of the other clematis continue to leaf out, despite the cold weather. Durandii is the first picture, which is planted on a trellis that also has a viticella noid, which I now believe is Rubra. Mrs. Cholmodeley has also leafed out and has buds, and Ramona is growing back nicely.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9441226

Duchess of Albany, Crystal Fountain, John Warren, and the 4 Arabellas (I'm showing only 1 of them) also have leaves. They seem to be tolerating the freezing temps that we've been having. It looks like later this week, we're starting our warm up here, we'll be below freezing tonight and tomorrow night but then the forecast shows daytime temps in the 60's, and night temps no lower than the 40's after that. I hope the warm temps coming are here to stay, so long as it doesn't get too hot too fast like it did last year. Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 7, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9441610

How lovely to see plants leafing out & blooming! I almost had one garden clear of snow, but it's snowing again...yippee.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9441646

I agree, Marilyn.

When I woke up this morning I opened the shade fast to see how much snow we got...nothing. Are you getting snow today? The radio forecast said it will eventually make it out here but so far, so good.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 7, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9441717

Only about 11/2' so far...still saying 3-6 for tonight...just so depressing!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9441765

Yes, depressing to the max. We'll get hit later. Now they've changed the weekend forecast to "the 40's" instead of 50. Spring can't get here soon enough.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 7, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9442024

Still saying 50's for Sun.-Mon. I'll believe it when I see it!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9442117

The snowflakes are countable here but the forecast remains the same for tonight and the prediction of slush for tomorrow.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9449753

Hello everyone, this thread has been awfully quiet, I hope everyone is doing well.

We've had a colder week this week with nights in the 20's that did not phase the emerging clematis. I believe my first clematis that will bloom this year will be Patricia Ann Fretwell, she's full of nice fat buds. Ramona is also putting on nice growth. We're expected to get into the 70's this weekend, which will help spur the growth of the other clematis.

Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165         

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 15, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9449995

Lovely new growth...my crocus just started budding!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9450078

I just had a chance to go to the top and read most of the post. Arlene I hope Jack is doing much better. I am glad to hear that they caught it in time. I lost both my father and his sister, my Aunt Daisy, to that. My sister and I get check every 5 years now.

As far as the Clem's, they sure want to start growing. I see so many areas with new growth that I am afraid that when it does warm up I wont be able to keep up with them. I am adding another trellis to the top of 2 that are next to my deck. Now the trellis will go all the way up to the top of the Pergola, at least 12 feet high. I got 1 more trellis this spring, now I have to figure out where to put ti and which clem to plant on it. I ordered 3 more from Brushwood this year.But I have a few I need to move. Come on warm weather, I need a warm sunshine fix.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9450225

Belated happy birthday wishes, Marie. I hope you had a great day and will have a wonderful year filled with blooming clematises along with sunny skies and warm weather. Jack is so much better. Thank you for asking. He's back to walking in the morning but not the long walks he had done. Maybe warmer weather will help with that.

I came too close to losing my dad with AAA in 1971 but the end of the year was the loss of my mom, not my dad who lived another 9 years. It's wise to get checked for it since it's so deadly. Only 25% survive surgery regardless of age. They end up bleeding to death in just a few hours. Time is really "of the essence" with AAA. For anyone reading this, the classic sign of an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm is severe pain in the back, at the waistline, often accompanied by lower abdominal pain. Do not hesitate. Get to a hospital immediately.

Annette - we're all jealous!

Marilyn, my crocuses are in bloom. They began last Sunday. What a welcome sight!

Marie - please tell us which ones you ordered. I've been busy both inside and outside so I haven't been clem hunting, though I did spot one a month or two ago, at Hummingbird, which I love. Here's their page on 'Suzanne'. I think the rounded tepals are so appealing, maybe because I have so many that are pointed.

I did buy two Ville de Lyon clem's at a big box store (labeled as City of Lyon), packaged dormant in green plastic, and immediately planted them indoors in a self-watering pot. Maybe I'm just desperate for spring to arrive though yesterday I was outside working at the "real feel" of 23 degrees.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 15, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9450466

Happy birthday, Marie. Pirl, I'm so glad Jack is doing better...warm weather should help! That clem is lovely...wonder if the bars stay such a nice bright color.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013

Post #9451052

Belated Happy Birthday Marie, I hope you had an amazing day.

I was checking on the newly planted clematis yesterday, and it looks like Snow Queen that I planted at the mailbox is dead ;~(. It looked perfectly fine last week and had started leafing out. I wonder if one of the neighbor's dog urinated on it? I'm going to cut it back to the ground to see if I can rescue it. Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 16, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9451093

Hope it comes back!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9451096

Annette -

You never know. Clems are notorious for appearing to be dead and then coming back the following year, so don't remove it.

I have one clem in particular that I always think is dead and then she comes back later than the others.

Happy belated birthday, Marie.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9451159

Carolyn is right. All too often they play dead but they do emerge to delight us. Keep the faith!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9451267

[quote="pirl"]. Keep the faith![/quote]

So even if the clem does not come back this year, continue to water and take care of it as per normal.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9451429

Thanks for the advice everyone, I gave it a good drink of water this morning, to see if it will show any signs of life.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2013 3:09 PM
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9452956

This was a productive garden weekend, I finally got the DH to put up the hooks so that I could get m. Mayleen across the entrance of the back deck. It's leafing out nicely. He was spurred into doing this for me because we had guests coming over for a barbeque to celebrate his birthday. I can't wait to see how many blooms I'm going to get this year. I had been foolishly pruning this vine too much, and therefore cutting off the old wood and blooms, not knowing how to treat a group 1 clematis previously.

I checked on Niobe and Miguel Viso, and noted that they too have buds.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 10:45 PM

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9453173

1 x Clematis Warsaw Nike = $11.21
1 x Clematis Gravetye Beauty = $16.95
1 x Clematis Sympatia = $10.02
1 x Clematis Rooguchi = $11.96

This what I ordered. Now to just figure out where to put them. I see more trellis purchases in store...lol

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 18, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9453303

Nice to see some greenery...will see more snow today!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9453319

That's delightful to see, Annette!

Marie - I'll look up each of them but I do have Rooguchi and it does love to scramble.

Aren't we thrilled at the prospect of more snow, Marilyn? NO, we are not amused.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 18, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9453662

Bad joke this time of year...glad my reticulated iris & crocus haven't opened yet...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9457681

We had temps below freezing this morning, and tomorrow we're expecting a wintry mix. These clematis don't seem to be phased by the cold weather. Here is Crystal Fountain, Duchess of Albany, and Kardynal Wyszynski with a bud in the garden today.

We're back to being chilly for the next week. I'll definitely be getting later blooms this year. Last year because of the early warm weather, Pink Champagne bloomed the 3rd week of March, and Omoshiro, Miguel Viso and Mrs. C bloomed the last week of March. That's not going to happen this year, which is okay. I'll just continue to enjoy the blooming bulbs that we have now.

Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 22, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9457876

Sorry that you're getting bad weather...late for wintry mix in Georgia...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9457907

It's 29 degrees now in NYC. We're a bit cooler out here at the eastern tip of Long Island.

Not much ever bothers the clematises. A very long, prolonged cold spring, will set them back but they bounce back. In 2011 Omoshiro bloomed for the first time on July 8th due to the cold spring but in 2012 the first bloom was May 4th (pictured below). That's a huge difference.

Love the bud! It's the promise of things yet to come.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9458515

Arlene, thanks for posting the beautiful picture of Omoshiro, it's good to be reminded of what a gorgeous clematis this is.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9458574

You're welcome. I see Omoshiro and May seems so far away!

Heat wave today...41 degrees! Many clem's have swollen leaf buds but no real buds yet. I know it's too soon but I feel like a kid looking for Santa Claus.

Just ordered 14 dahlias. Hoping spring comes very soon or I'll be up to my eyeballs in plants!

Edited to correct the total to 15 dahlias. Don't even ask what I'll do with the 33 I have stored for the winter.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 11:19 PM
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9458622

Heat wave, LOL. We had sleet this morning, but I'm glad it isn't do any damage. We've got more rain coming over the next 2 days, and freezing temps at night into early next week

I seem to a growing collection of things to plant this spring, with the latest being a bunch of tubers, bulbs, and rhizomes from Walmart yesterday. Then Bert emailed that I can come pick up my lily bulbs, oh my!!!! My 3 Heirloom roses arrived yesterday, my standard rose is being shipped from Cali, and I'm waiting on the Brushwood clematis. Soooo many plants, so little time to plant them. What's a gardener to do?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9458673

Pray for spring, Annette. I already bought dahlias (from Walmart and Lynch Creek), begonias, Siberian irises, Acidanthera, clematis, and my Bert lilies have arrived. Still have the Mischel's Greenhouse order to complete. Caladiums will arrive in May.

Somehow it all gets done even if it wears us down to do the work. I'm waiting to buy roses until the masonry work is done.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 23, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9458849

Oh, my! I never thought my plants would be coming anytime soon...I have the dahlias I overwintered successfully for the first time...I'll start those in 2 weeks...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9458992

Do you start them under lights, Marilyn? I'm trying one in a very sunny window but there's no sign of anything happening yet...after at least two weeks. I hate the thought of dragging that huge bag, and a smaller bag, down to the basement to put them under lights down there - too many steps!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9459050

Hi Pirl, long time no see. Last year I had cut up my dahlia bulbs, left one eye on each, covered with light soil not al the way and put them in a zip loc bag. They all sprouted out, so from 2 bulbs I got 8, gave some away and the friends dahlia was very nice and tall, a very rear white one. I left my bulbs in ground last fall, will see if it will come up. This time I will have cages for them, little bit smaller then tomato cages. Here we have cold weather again, my seeds all sprouted and I am running out of window space and it is to cold to put them out on the porch shelve. Wish you happy Spring soon. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9459105

Hi Etelka. At least you cut your dahlias! I have these huge clumps to plant since I can't spot what eyes look like. We've had dahlias, which I didn't want to dig and didn't love, come up in spring after a warm winter but it's rare.

Good luck with your seedlings! It's been a rough spring for many of us.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 23, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9459251

I start my dahlias in the basement...but I have sliding glass doors & several windows, so it's pretty light down there...my stepson was a commercial fisherman in Maine, & he gave my DH some plastic fish buckets...I have one left...I just lay the tubers in the bottom & cover with soiless mix, water & they sprout.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9459394

I need your determination!

Did you see Monday night's forecast? Maybe I'll just hide out in the basement, with the dahlias, until we get decent weather.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 24, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9460390

Sounds like a plan!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9462972

Hurray, I have done it, finnaly finshed my project. Pirl, do you think I have to put some wire or some strings in between the posts to have the clems to attache to? It is 6 feet tall and it was not so bad, the next one will be easier and less brused knockels. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 26, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9463029

Good job!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9463052

Good job, Etelka. Yes, you can use string or the clear plastic vinyl so the clematises will grow on it.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9465396

Ohhhh JOY!!!! My Brushwood order came today. So I happily opened the 2 boxes to welcome the new clematis to my garden family, LOL ;~))))))))

The first picture is of the new crew: Chantilly, Andromeda, Yukokoshi, Veronica's Choice, Fleuri, Little Mermaid, Red Star and Best Wishes.

Second picture is of Veronica's Choice with a bud.

Third picture is the 3 smallest of the bunch Andromeda, Fleuri, and Little Mermaid.

Fourth picture is of Little Mermaid, with LITTLE being the key word! Seriously now, did it really have to look like it's name. I will let the smallest ones grow a little more before planting them out into the garden.

Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 29, 2013

Post #9465640

What a happy photo! Lovely to see green clems!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9465729

Wonderful, Annette! Dan always sends such good plants with such healthy roots that I'm sure each of yours will be glorious, as always.

Happy Easter, everyone!

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9465898

Happy Easter to all the Clematis lovers and other gardeners too. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

March 29, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9465985

Happy Easter...nice to see the pansies in the garden markets...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9466324

Happy Easter everyone!!!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9466520

Happy Easter everyone!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9470068

Hi everybody, my clems are doing grate, all but one Henryy , have planty of buds, no flower yet. Pirl, I was looking in the old posts about the firtilizer I should use for the clems, I think I remember to use the one with the low first number, I have one for bulbs and flowers that is 4-10-10, or should I get something else.? I have lost all my seedlings, not enough light and to much watering, good thing I have some seeds left, will sow it in the ground in a few days. Hope you are well. I am not a total falieur (?) My famous corner is comming along, I have planted some zinnias , plumbago in the back also black and blue salvia, and some sweetpotato vine, ornamental grass .the James tree is blooming(white dogwood) end I got some coleus plants for $3.25 each, nice and big, I guess they are bigger then mail order. This week I will get my rose from Brushwood, climbing Eden, I hope it does well, never had good luck with roses before. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9470122

Manure and compost would be fine - you don't even need the 4-10-10. Our local nursery owner grows great clematises by giving them a handful of lime one year and some compost the next year. They are not fussy plants. Rose growers certainly do more to get blossoms than clematis growers. I just can't see you as a failure when everything looks so nice and neat. It's good to see James in bloom!

The coleus look wonderful. You can take cuttings of them!

Overwatering kills more plants, and seedlings, than not watering enough. It's an age old problem. People think they are being kind but they kill the very plants they wanted and giving them "just a sip" doesn't get to the roots. Water when the soil is dry and use your finger to test the soil. For seedlings it's totally unimportant for the surface of the soil to be wet. The roots are down below and that's why watering from below is the recommended way to water them.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 3, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9470473

I keep forgetting that! Thanks, Pirl...Those are healthy-looking coleus,,,
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9471232

Hello everyone, here's an update on my m. Mayleen, it's full of buds all over the vine. I'm kicking myself that I have missed out on all these blooms over the years because I was cutting the plant back too harshly.

Ramona is also doing well, and is full of buds. This plant came back from the ground. It was planted on December 16, 2012, and virtually disappeared. It's made a great come back, has many stems, and is also full of buds, despite the exposure to several nights of freezing temps recently. It's grown so much, I had to tie it up on the fence yesterday. The lily that's sprouting close by is OP siesta.

Etelka, your garden and plants are looking lovely.

We've got more rain for tonight and tomorrow, so hopefully it will spur the other clematis to start growing as well. All of them got fertilized at the end of February.

Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 4, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9471524

Those photos are wonderful...I have some crocus opening, & I'm thankful for that!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9471786

Mayleen looks great. Some people won't allow any perennial to bloom for two years so the roots gather strength so just think of yourself as one of the expert gardeners, Annette. Don't you just love how some, like Ramona, come out of the ground at 90 miles an hour? They are so eager to grow and I love watching them day by day. Freezing temperatures have never bothered any clematis I've owned. Prolonged, cold springs are much more detrimental but they still aren't killed by them.

Nothing says spring as well as crocuses do!

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 4, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9471964

Joyful!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013

Post #9472228

Thank you both for the compliment, and I'm glad you both have something blooming now.

Arlene, it amazes me how rapidly the clematis do grow, some faster than others despite the same treatment.

It was a cold, dark, dank day here today. I'm shocked to say we didn't get out of the forties, with all the rain that we're having, and our temperature is colder than Anchorage, AK and Detroit, MI right now. WOW!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 10:42 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9472239

You deserve every compliment you get, Annette. Because of you I think I'll be ordering Mayleen.

Liberation is my speediest grower. In this collage you can see how quickly it went from the earth to over my head: 34 days! The spring of 2011 was very cool so I was fooled to see such speedy growth. Blooms were very late for all clem's that year.

We're due for mild temperatures but rain. Today was sunny but windy. The last two days were actually so windy I didn't work outside and that's rare for me in spring.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9472262

I'm glad to hear Liberation is a speedy grower. This is it's 2nd spring in my garden, I was inspired to order it because of the pictures you posted, just like Omoshiro!

You've got your Liberation growing in such a beautiful setting. I've got to start working on my garden architecture.

Our weather is going to get warmer next week. I'll believe it when I see it. We keep getting fooled into thinking we're warming up for spring, then the weather turns cold again. I'm actually enjoying the cooler weather, and the plants are loving all the rain.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9472272

I absolutely agree with you about the weather. A few nice days trick me into believing spring is here and then comes either the sunless days or rain or wind. We wait all winter for spring to arrive. The least Mother Nature could do would be to cooperate with our anxious spirits.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9475711

I told you, Daniel D. is my first bloomer, and the others are ready to pop soon. John Warner is so tall, it is visiting the Sunset's trellis, both have buds on. Eaven Hanry is about to cetch up with the rest, it is up 18, it sat there for 2 years. I am planting in between the pansies, I feel bad to pull them up yet. Also all my hostas are peeping, some already have leaves on it. This week is Masters golf week, I hope I wont spend my money before I make it. Life is good. Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9475726

Daniel looks so happy to see you, Etelka!

We're happy, up north here, just to see any growth. With our mild temperatures today (67) and tomorrow (78), I expect a lot more growth.

Our hostas broke ground over the weekend and the lilies are about and inch or two tall. Spring has sprung!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 8, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9475989

No lilies or hostas here yet, but new growth on a clem!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9476113

I'll bet you a sedum that you have hostas poking through by Saturday!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 8, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9476448

Oh, I hope so! Some spring bulbs have opened today...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9476493

The magnolias are just beginning to show color. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 9, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9477132

My magnolia is a late one, I won't be seeing blooms for another month...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9477136

The later, the better. Nothing is worse than seeing black frosted blossoms. My mom would be in a foul mood for weeks when that happened to her magnolia.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 9, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9477395

Can't blame her...you wait all year for it! This is one my late DH bought for me...not the one I would have chosen...it's a small tree...the blooms are dark purple & unscented...but I don't have the heart to cut it down.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9477439

It has to be very special. I wouldn't even consider the thought of cutting it down.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 9, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9477710

Thanks, Pirl!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9478622

My H. Young got the hint about the new trellis, so it is darting upward, it can go now 6 feet high.
If this is not God's creation, I don't know what? My 100 years old water oak tree is buding and looking good. The Bloodgood JP is doing nice, sorry I will have to trimm some, to be able to get in my house. Happy gardening. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9478634

God is good. Love all your photos, Etelka. That 100 year old tree is stunning!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9480703

Your garden is doing well Etelka, hopefully all of the rain we're getting this evening will help get all of the plants really growing.

My dream has come into fruition. M. Mayleen is the first clematis to bloom for me, starting yesterday, and she's full of buds yet to open. I''m going to keep training her over the entrance to the back porch.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9481038

I'm not ordering anything until I see what comes up from last year. I got so many then, and some were really babies, some grew, some bloomed, some didn't... Some wilted back to nothing...

We still had snow and ice on the ground last weekend, not even a snowdrop showing above ground, but after the warm spell during the week I hope to see signs of life. We'll be there later on today and I'll see what's what.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9481215

Absolutely gorgeous, Annette. It's so great when dreams come true!

Hope you find wonderful surprises this weekend, Pam. Seeing snow now just seems so wrong!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9481572

My forst John Warren bloom, the second is opening up. very huge blooms. Also Ruutel is blooming, but it is kind of short. Last years blooms where very small, lots of them but tiny. Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9481658

You must be so happy with John Warren. Last year Ruutel grew well enough but only bloomed at the bottom. This year I'll give it as much compost as can fit in the area (between a walk and the house).

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 12, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9481771

I think my Ruutel only bloomed on the bottom as well last year...I really like that John Warren.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9481855

Plant Files says 8 to 10 feet while many other sites say 6'. Would you believe 2'?

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

April 13, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9482231

Yes...that's about what mine is.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9482238

My Ruutell has never gotten very big. I have been thinking about moving him because I question whether he gets enough light. He only gets to about 2 - 2 1/2 feet or so for me. I love John Warren though. JW is on my want list.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9482300

I'll give it another year and hope for the best. I'm just not fond of moving a plant if I don't have to do it.

Mine may be in too much shade, too, Carolyn.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9486976

Glorious morning, and I have to go to work. Got out this morning to water and most of my clematis are blooming, some more then one bloom. I got this clematis from a nursery that kind of didn't know what it was, she said the man brings them to her and it is cheeper when they are not named. It will be a surprise kind, it is almost 5' tall, no bloomes, she kept it in shade. Payed only $6.50 for it, I guess I should just shut up and enjoy it. The second picture is John Warner with Sunset. Have a good day, I will be rolling 400 meatballs. Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9487038

That's a lot of meatballs, Etelka! I usually make 36 at a time and then freeze many for future meals. I hope you have enough leftover for your own dinner tonight.

Surprises are fun! I hope it's something you love that you don't already have. The price was right!

On Sunday I went to four nurseries and this clematis was at the second one. I'm amazed that I kept going but figured I couldn't find a more outrageous price than this one was. I already have the clematis but this price wouldn't even tempt me to try it.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9487049

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307845/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America